Hop Wallop - Victory Brewing Company

Hop WallopHop Wallop

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-17-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Wallop Alström Bros

TeamAlphaDoG, Jun 03, 2012

pjpmcnally, Aug 13, 2012

NonicPanic, Dec 02, 2013

Creeig, Dec 15, 2012

TikiD, Feb 11, 2012
1.5/5  rDev -63.4%

NHSTEVE, Jan 18, 2012
1.6/5  rDev -61%

Hmm... interesting smell, I thought. A sweet lager-type of aroma, with just a hint of something that reminds me of macro adjuncts. Then I tasted it. This is one of the few beers that I have ever poured out for any reason other than being too drunk to finish it. The sticky-sweet canned pineapple taste is overwhelming, and nearly made me retch right there, but then the hops came rumbling in. Normally when I think of hoppy beer, I think of Sam Adams or Goose Island or Sierra Nev PA - a little harsh and painful on the jaw after drinking several, but overall well-balanced and non-offensive - they taste good. Hop Wallop doesn't have that kind of hop flavor. The hops are bitter, aggressive, and overall very nasty.

The best thing I can say about drinking this is that it tastes like Pineapples smothered in salt and Crisco.

deliriumtremens, Mar 18, 2005
1.73/5  rDev -57.8%

Reviewed 11/26/2006 (12oz bottle):

Pours a semi-cloudy yellow colored body, with a foamy white head, with big bubbles. Has a very hoppy, somewhat tempered aroma. A bitter hoppy taste. Acidic. No flavor except the acidic. Too much for me, unbalanced hoppiness, no sweetness to offset the bitter.

jujubeast6000, Jan 31, 2009

mctizzz, Mar 23, 2012

phishbone23, Jan 23, 2013

Trombone69, Jul 07, 2014
1.8/5  rDev -56.1%

Imperial IPAs are one of my favorite styles... and Victory is an excellent brewery, so when I saw the Hop Wallop for sale I was extremely excited.
Unfortunately, this is the worst IIPA I have ever had!

The entire problem with the beer lies in the total lack of any malt flavor. The beer is yellow and fizzy, like a german lager. I don't know how they got 8.5% ABV in this thing, because malt-wise, this tastes like a strong pilsener. Even in very blonde IIPA's I've had (The Blonde Hop Monster from Paper City comes to mind), there was a very solid, if simple, sweetness to it, to balance out the hops. This beer had nothing of the sort.

On the bittering front, yes this is very bitter, but lacks the serious hop complexity of the better IIPAs such as the 90 minute IPA and the Ruination.

Incredibly dissapointing. I'll stick with the Storm King and the Hop Devil when I am choosing Victory brews.

(UPDATE: I have had this beer since this very old review, and I find it to simply to be inconsistent. I have had awesome examples on draft. Had fresh bottles from the brewery which were good, not great. But I also encounter bad bottles from time to time.)

ShamasUVA, Feb 10, 2006
1.83/5  rDev -55.4%

Let me start by admitting that I am not a "hop head". But I never let that stop me from trying a new beer. The color is a light orange with some bubbles after a hard pour in a pint glass. No real head is formed and just a hint of foam remains for the tasting. The scent is so faint that I wondered if the beer was bad. Hardly any scent of hops that I have smelled in other hoppy beers. With first taste, I find the beer is very bitter. After making sure the mouthfull touches my whole mouth, I get a faint citrus/herbal taste. But before I can identify the flavors, an incredible aftertaste comes from the back of my mouth and seems to reach to my throat. An almost medicine taste that makes me forget about the first sensations. It coats my mouth and seems to want to not want to go away. I take some time for the taste to leave. I take another taste. and another. With each one the bitterness seems to deminish a bit each time but just a little of the medicine flavor of an aftertaste remains on the very back of my tongue. I have tried most of the Victory's beers and I think I will have to stick to their other fine creations.

JMBSH, Nov 25, 2007
1.83/5  rDev -55.4%

Quite disappointed--

Poured light/copper, which I felt was way too light for an IPA.

Color aside, the taste was awful. It was quite sour, despite a decently obvious amount of hops. Tasted like a domestic, light beer that they tried to infuse with hops.

Would not recommend.

jeremyd365, Mar 15, 2008

BGsWo22, Jan 30, 2013

Dan25D, Dec 10, 2011

BeerThursdays, Nov 17, 2011
2.15/5  rDev -47.6%

I am a Hophead. That said I thought this 2005 release at Grey Lodge was disappointing. Maybe I was kidding myself since this is an Imperial IPA. I thought I'd give this one another chance since the only other encounter was with an expired bottle.

It was so offensive to my taste buds that I didn't even finish it. Even in light of the fact that the beer came with the purchase of a pint glass & t-shirt. I found it was eating my stomach up. I do not have a weak gut.

It was all hops and nothing else. It didn't even pour a nice head. Wallops your senses so that all you can detect are hops. It is so harsh I could not even tell what type of hops. It was simply caustic!

I'll take a Alpha King or Tuppers anyday over this loser from Victory.

These guys are much more capable than this!

carlosd74, Nov 06, 2005
2.2/5  rDev -46.3%

I had high hopes for this beer: it's my favorite style, it's plentiful and relatively inexpensive in my area, it has excellent reviews on BA, and it's got a cool name. I thought this might become a go-to beer for me.

What a disappointment! It sure didn't look like an IPA, its pale yellow color more befitting a pilsner. It didn't smell like an IPA, either - more like straw. Its taste resembled that of a failed IPA: quite bitter, but with hardly any hop flavor or malt presence. Had you told me I was drinking some kind of bitter macro lager I would have believed you.

I'm honestly baffled by other reviews that describe this beer as hoppy, flavorful, etc. Could I have simply gotten a bad bottle? Seems improbable, as there are several other reviews that describe what I encountered. Nonetheless, I hold out hope that I'll be able to edit my review next time I try this beer.

MrSnrub, Apr 21, 2010
2.23/5  rDev -45.6%

Big fan of Victory beers but this one was below average for me. For me, I see no reason to stray from Victory's own HopDevil beer (a very solid IPA) for this one. I can't put my finger on why this one didn't do it for me. I guess this one is just too much of a beer for my liking.

TheBigBoy, Nov 28, 2011

paulytasker, Jul 15, 2012

Crumpetsnbeer, Aug 14, 2012
2.25/5  rDev -45.1%

I had high hopes for the Hop Wallop, perhaps on account of the slobbering, cartoon, 49-er character on the label. That guy is awesome!

The brew poured a straw-yellow with a healthy, cloud-like head around the glass-rim.

The aroma was hoppy - but not the piney-citrusy-fruity hoppy I was expecting. It was more of an earthy-grassy-sour-pungent hop aroma.

The taste was also disappointing. The hop oils coated my mouth and reminded me of the orange-blossom oil they put in your water at middle-eastern restaurants...not in a good way... It also tasted "soapy" and acrid, almost bilious, not pleasant at all. I thought I might have gotten a bad bottle so I tried another. Same result. I suppose I could have gotten a bad six-pack. The mouthfeel was thin and I didn't get any of the bready, maltiness I was expecting.

I love IPA's so I was more than disappointed with Victory's Hop Wallop. I may give it another shot at some point because my sixer really didn't taste quite right.

liddytime, Oct 16, 2010
2.3/5  rDev -43.9%

Poured a dark gold with minimal carbonation. Smell was slightly fruity with a little grain in the background. The taste came across as bitter and the 8.5% alcohol bit through. Reading the other reviews makes me want to get another from a different store to make sure I just didn't get a bad one.

Salo, Mar 04, 2007
2.33/5  rDev -43.2%

Maybe I got a bad bottle, but this stuff is not nearly as good as I've been led to believe.

Beer poured clear light yellow with minimal head. Looked almost like an adjunct lager, but the yellow was a little more intense.

Smell was perhaps the strangest I've ever come across. I know it sounds bizarre but the smell reminded me more of canned pineapple than anything else. Not particularly pleasant.

Taste was strange, harsh and unforgiving. If that was hops, they were like no other hops I've ever had before.

I need to try this again, preferably on tap, but until then, I recommend against this one.

oracle, Feb 07, 2005