Hop Wallop - Victory Brewing Company

Hop WallopHop Wallop

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Beer added by: Todd on 12-17-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Wallop Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,892 | Hads: 3,658
2.35/5  rDev -42%

Poured a dark gold with minimal carbonation. Smell was slightly fruity with a little grain in the background. The taste came across as bitter and the 8.5% alcohol bit through. Reading the other reviews makes me want to get another from a different store to make sure I just didn't get a bad one. (295 characters)

2.38/5  rDev -41.2%

A: very light gold, very transparent; almost looks like a pilsner

S: hoppy, a little vinegar-y, not much citrus or spice scents

T: while the initial taste is not bad, nice and hoppy but still pretty smooth, the residual taste is awful; tastes like vinegar, absolutely no malt taste

M: fairly smooth with some hop bitterness

D: very poor, could barely finish just the one; glad I got this one as a loose 12oz bottle and not a whole six-er; while the initial hop taste is okay, it has no other characteristics, no malt, no citrus, no spice; just a quick hit of hops with a vinegar-y remainder (594 characters)

2.39/5  rDev -41%

Reviewing this after a second tasting. The first time i tried it I thought it might not be fresh. Here goes.

Pours a dark golden color into a standard pint glass. Decent amount of head, not much lacing. The smell is hops, and a a bitter musty smell that is present a bit in Victory's Prima Pils too. The smell works much better in the pilsner than it does in this IIPA. The distinct bitter mustiness that seems present in Victory beers just doesnt work for me in an IIPA. The hop presence is good, but the skunky musty taste detracts a ton. The mouthfeel is good, not too thick, but has some substance. The taste and strength of taste makes me think the drinkability is pretty poor. (683 characters)

2.41/5  rDev -40.5%

OK i dont know if this is a bad bottle or what but this beer has gone horribly awry. DIPAs are normally my favorite style but this beer just doesnt make sense to me. i knew immediately from the smell that it was gonna be funky. its not oxidation. its kind of like some weird hard candy. Or the taste of advil when u let it stay in your mouth too long? Definite medicinal qualities. The alcohol is not hidden at all. The taste is just alcohol and some hops with cough medicine. Its bitter as fuck and not in a good way. im not gonna denounce victory because i know first hand that they are a more than respectable brewing company, and it may just be that i got a bad bottle, but this hop wallop was just not up to par. (717 characters)

2.44/5  rDev -39.8%

Bottle into a SN tulip.

Very pale. Yellow/orange with just a touch of haze. I enjoy ipa's that look like this, I dig the straw color. Makes it look crisp.
Pineapple, peach and plenty of pine. Smells a bit mild and also a bit one dimensional.I want IPA to really hit the nose hard and I can't say that this does that.
Kind of harsh in that the alcohol is very present and also the balance between bitter hops and aromatic hop is too far toward the bitter. I'm not getting the lush, fruity and floral flavors to balance the massive bittering additions.And I love huge bittering additions, they just didn't do it right. I would accuse this of not being fresh but the bottle reads: enjoy by aug 2011, so I figure unless they're dating their IPA at a year... Either way, this isn't very good or very bad.
The mouthfeel I like. Carbonation is perfect and the body is right where I think it needs to be.
Given the spot-on mouthfeel I think this had real potential for higher drinkability in a beer at more than 8%, but it's lack of huge aromas and hop flavors does more to allow the alcohol and bitterness to shine and that makes it less than enjoyable.

Won't give this another chance unless I find out that Victory dates their bottles a year out in which case this bottle is 4 months old. That would be really stupid, though. (1,329 characters)

2.45/5  rDev -39.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Did you ever have to chew an aspirin as a kid? Just wondering...

Pours a pale yellow with less than a finger of white head. Disappointing to say the least. The clarity is nice, but most of the other DIPAs I've tried have a more amber tone to them.

The smell is a somewhat acrid mix of alcohol and citrus - some earthy scents in there too (dirt?). This too was disappointing as I LOVE the nose on most IPAs and DIPAs. Avery's Maharaja, Bell's HopSlam, Tyranena's Hop Whore, DFH 90 Minute and Arcadia's HopMouth all have much more inviting aromas imo.

This stuff tasted like pure aspirin with a thin coating of pineapple. Bitter with little to no balance. Bitter for bitterness sake. I'm a hop lover at heart but this was too much.

Mouthfeel was too thin for the style. Again the pinch of bitterness rears it's head. The carbonation was good though but the overall texture left a lot to be desired.

As far as drinkability, I couldn't have more than one of these at a sitting. It's not a drain pour as there are hints of what makes the style great, but at least for this drinker, there is way too much bitterness to fight through to get to the goods.

Overall a disappointing beer - to each his own I guess.
I'll stick to the Hop Devil and Storm King. Victory will still get my business, but I doubt I'll be purchasing this one again. (1,352 characters)

2.45/5  rDev -39.5%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a magners glass

the beer pours a nice golden color with a slight amount of haziness to it. there is a big 1-2 inch head that falls back to about 1/4 inch and statys.

the smell is a slightly fruity and mild hop aroma.

the taste is just a mild malt backbone with some hop bitterness, with no apparent hop flavor

mouthfeel is light and crisp

drinkability is lower than normal due to lack of hop character (437 characters)

2.46/5  rDev -39.3%

Pours- very golden pilsner-esc color. little to no head. with a haze

Aroma - very little hop aroma for a double ipa, I get alot of grainy aroma out of this with a slight but present marijuana note. citrus peel and pine in backround. Aroma overall is very unimpressive to me. I love DIPA and this is just lacking in that huge nose I expect. I don't know how old this bottle is, no born on date.

Taste - ok hop flavor, but it tastes more like an imperial pilsner to me. Very little in the way of big west coast hop flavors.

Mouthfeel - thin and dry

Drinkability - 1 and done for me, not worth the 8+%abv

Overall - Maybe this is just an old bottle or a bad batch because I love DIPA's and IPA's of all sorts and this one is just lame. I have to believe I am missing something cause this beer is so well rated on this site....confused (837 characters)

2.47/5  rDev -39%

Appearance: Gold with a creamy off white head.
Smell: Malty, especially with caramel notes. Not too hoppy, save a little grapefruit and citrus.
Taste: Opposite of smell basically. Hops. And it is not a very balanced. Almost a cough syrup like taste, sadly. Not very good imo.
Mouthfeel: Mild carbonation that leaves the mouth dry.
Overall: Good on all fronts except the one that matters most. This is a very unbalanced beer that I probably will not buy for a while. Not recommended by me unless one is a very large hophead. (524 characters)

2.47/5  rDev -39%

Poured a pale straw yellow with a small white head.

The aroma didn't really have any hops in it. I was surprised that it smelled mostly of pilsner malt with some light grainy notes.

The flavor of the beer was pretty hoppy. Mostly floral hops - not the typical citrusy/resiny Pacific NW flavors. The maltiness was light and biscuity. There didn't seem to be any fruity flavors that are typical of ales.

The mouthfeel was light and the carbonation was good. This beer was remarkably dry for being 8.5 percent.

But overall this beer didn't taste like a double IPA. In fact, it had few characteristics of any American-style ale. If this were a blind taste test, I'd peg this beer for an imperial pilsner, and not a good one at that. In fact, this beer sucked. What a disappointment from the brewery that makes my favorite pilsner. (838 characters)

2.48/5  rDev -38.8%

First of all, let me start out by writing that I AM a hop head. I count as my favorites, Pliny the Elder, Pliny the Younger, and Rogue's Hop Heaven. And let met add, that I almost always love Victory's products. But this one is a major disappointment.
The best thing about this brew is the bottle appearance (the cute little label) and the slightly cloudy golden appearance as it is poured. It's fizzy, but virtually no head retention. This is all hops. While I didn't expect balance, I did not expect a total lack of malt. (524 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -36.3%

Mixed dank and citrus nose. Mildly oxidized aroma. Taste is similar: a hint of oxidation, mild dank, and moderate citrus. Mildly astringent as well. Thin head, with good lacing. Mouthfeel thin-medium. No heat. I generally like Victory beers, and was pretty disappointed with this one. (284 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -36.3%

A - Pours a crystal clear golden yellow. Small/medium size white bubble head that is pretty organized.

S - Big fresh hop smell and a nice malt balance presence as well. Small sourness smell at the end.

T - Whoa big spice punch up front, to much for my taste. Whatever this spice is, it's way to much. Maybe this is a bad bottle? Anyway there is also a bready/wheat taste on the finish. The 8.5% is absolutely no where to be seen, awesome job in hiding that.

M - A spice tang is left on the back of the palate, but its an overall clean feeling.

D - I hope this is a bad bottle because this is way spicy and very hard to get through the bottle. (649 characters)

Best by Jan 2010 on bottle

Poured a hazy golden yellow with a 1 finger head and some sudsy lace.

Smell was musty, grassy, straw, wheat with light citrus. Also what I would describe as a cat piss smell.

Taste was grassy, wheat and some citrus with what another reviewer said best "farmhouse, horse funk". Good bitter hops.

Not terrible but that "farmhouse, horse funk" is something I could do without. Really took away from this brew for me. (444 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -36.3%

Bottle with DBD that looks to be sometime in 2013, but mostly illegible.

A - Color is pretty run of the mill pale gold. There are some visible floaties of some nature. Not sure what they might be.

S - Floraly hops, some citrus, lemon, some malty/bready notes. However, immediately on sniffing this, there is a soapy note, musty almost. Somewhat off putting.

T - Hmmm... Bitter lead, some malty-ness, theres the hops, lots of lemon rind, But theres that damn soapy overtone again. It just grabs my palate and dominates the flavor...

M - High carb, but not overly so. Good coat, even if its aiding that soapiness mentioned before.

O - I hope I just got a bad bottle (6 pack...). Maybe its just me, however, I had another brew right before this one, which I thought was great. I will certainly give this another chance at some point. Maybe (hopefully) this bottle is an an anomaly and the others in the six pack will be saved. Although my hopes arent high on that. Underneath the soapy weirdness, there seems to be a good beer. If this is a good representation of the brew, this ones not for me. But, I'll try it again some time, given my suspicion that I've just got a bad bottle here. (1,188 characters)

2.6/5  rDev -35.8%

The aroma is very, very hoppy. All hops. Mostly citric it seems, maybe a little piney. But very hoppy.

And the taste?? Well...it's about as guessed. Somewhat floral hops upfront, but not as heavy as anticipated. From there though, they really become powerful, with strong citric hop bitterness lasting throughout the finish and seemingly only increasing in power through the aftertaste. The aftertaste is remarkable in its staying power of the bitterness...the grapefruit bitterness lasts a very long time. If there's malt presence here, I just don't get it.

This is a seriously hoppy beer, as advertised and expected, and packs a "wallop" with the ABV. I understand that this isn't the most bitter beer on the market, but for a non-hophead like myself, it's definitely plenty bitter...especially in the aftertaste. (818 characters)

2.6/5  rDev -35.8%

The beer is yellow and doesn't keep it's head, but there is some lacing down the glass. It smells of a blend of malt and mild citrus. The flavor is fairly one dimensional - hops. Unfortunately, the beer is missing the malt to back the hop flavor up. It's just a bitter, fizzy liquid.

I'm far from a hophead, but I try judge IPA's and the like fairly. This one just didn't work for me. (385 characters)

2.61/5  rDev -35.6%

Poured out a hazy straw yellow color almost like a wheat beer. Has nice thin bands of lacing with each sip. Other than that no real head is present. Aroma has almost a cheap skunk Budweiser type smell. First sip is pure bitterness! Overpowering bitterness that I doubt few will like unless your really into heavily hopped and real bitter beers. The bitterness hides any kind of malt or hop flavor. It is too much for me to enjoy this beer. Crisp mouthfeel and a medium body. Not highly drinkable. The high ABV is well hidden however. HOLY BITTERNESS !!! Arghhhh (561 characters)

2.62/5  rDev -35.3%

Review from notes taken while I enjoyed this beer last night at Fat Head's Brewery & Saloon in North Olmsted, Ohio. Poured from tap into a clean, clear glass.

A A little surprised to find a lager look a like in my glass with a nice head and good lacing. The body is very, very clear. 3.5

S Again, a slight surprise in that the smell was not very strong. After a few sniffs I picked up some sweet grapefruit bitterness but it was not obvious like I thought it might be. I liked the smell, though. 4.0

T Sweet malt actually hit me first and then the promised hops kick in and, well, I got walloped with them and they were so bitter that they were to the point of being acidic. This turns me off very frankly as it drives down the drinkability quite a bit. It is difficult for me to enjoy this level of bitterness. It felt as if the surface of my throat was deteriorating with this bitterness that lingered well into the aftertaste. I had to take several sips of water while trying to drink this. 2.0

M Well, huge with the bitterness, elevated ABV and even the sweet malt beginning. This time, though, I did not like the feel due to the spike of bitterness that lingered far too long. 2.5

D Again, driven down by the acid soak of hops bitterness. 2.0

Notes: I realize that the point was to have a very hoppy beer but this is too much for me. I found it to be too unbalanced. (1,377 characters)

2.66/5  rDev -34.3%

Poured a clear golden color with a thin white head. No lacing.

Smelled like a mass produced beer. Faint hops. Not very pungent at all.

Taste is totally different than the smell. Tons of bitter hops. Slight sweetness on the front palate followed by bitter citrus rind, and even more bitterness on the back palate. Tasted a little unbalanced.

High carbonation with a creamy mouthfeel.

I really like Victory but I wasn't impressed with this offering. (453 characters)

2.67/5  rDev -34.1%

Serving 12oz bottle freshness date best before Oct 07

With the ignoble and unbecoming looks of a translucent pale yellow macro lager this brew pours with a very quickly dissipating dismal white head that leaves nearly no lace behind. Respectable columns of find to course bubbles welling up through the sickly yellow body is this beer's only saving grace on appearance.

Sharp aromas of acidic lemon, astringent citrus, yeast, dry grass and minerals with a metallic edge come through on the nose.

This brew comes closer to an english bitter style, or an esb such as Rogue's brutal bitter, than a DIPA. Leafy hop bitters and tons of bitter lemon zest are brutal on the palate providing a firm grip from start to finish. A bit of metallic minerals, pale malt and bitter yeast poke through on the mid palate with bitter yeast and hops taking hold on the clean finish. Grassy hops stick around to provide a fine aftertaste. Clearly, this beer lives up to it's name, but the hop flavors don't have the pulpy and juicy citrus character I crave, instead the hops come through as grassy and bitter with lots of citrus zest. Further, the hops and yeast try to pull off a solo performance without relying on malts for proper support, this leaves a nagging absence of flavor and depth.

Mouthfeel is thicker and fuller than a normal ipa with a good slick feel. This is incredibly straightforward and simple, it forfeits enough of my interest on the first to keep me from having a second.

I'm a big fan of Victory's brews but I can think of many other DIPAs that are far superior to this one including Stone Ruination, DFH 90 minute, Hercules Double IPA, Maharaja and Unearthly.

Victory? Sorry, not today and not with this brew. (1,732 characters)

2.71/5  rDev -33.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A = Slightly murky orange-ish amber. Forms a head of medium to small bubbles which dissipates pretty quickly leaving good lacing on the glass and a nice film on the surface. Light amount of carbonation bubbles of medium size. Would grade it higher if not for the hazy clarity.

S = Strong alcohol presence with an almost anti-septic smell, once you get past that it has pine with hints of citrus, not a lot of malt.

T = Lots of hops taste, mostly pine but also some lemon, maybe even a hint of lime and flowers. Lots of bitterness throughout the drink and with a long dry, bitter finish. The alcohol kick is a little too much. If you like straight bitter hops, this definitely does fits the bill. There is not nearly enough balance though, I barely even detect malt flavors. Final view is it is unbalanced and the alcohol was almost antiseptic.

M = Medium bodied, great amount of carbonation giving it a frothy silky mouthfeel. Good mouthcoating.

D = This beer is good but has limited appeal for serious hopheads who can also accept the high ABV. (1,091 characters)

2.71/5  rDev -33.1%

1/10/06:
Served in an imperial pint glass from a 12oz bottle with Enjoy by Oct 18 06 date imprinted just below the beard of Horace Hop Wallop. Appearance is a medium darkness golden hue. Tons of little tiny bubbles rise to the top to keep the head in full formation. Tons of lacing is left behind. Great appearance. Downhill from there on; as if I were skiing the Super G down a slope in Switzerland downhill.

Smells just like freshly sliced South Carolina peaches. I can see the red inards of the peach as I slice it in half and nibble on the pit for a bit. Of course I am assuming this is the hops. There is a bit of a burnt tire rubber smell as well that is a turn-off. The aroma then morphs into another citrua fruit; definitely grapfruit. But I love that peach smell.

At first sample, the beer is extremely bitter. Too bitter. The beer is not balanced and the hop bitterness is too much for my buds to take. I typically like DIPA but I havent had one with this big of a hop profile yet. Not my cup of tea. I really cant taste much besides the hops. As I drink the beer more, the mouth puckering effect diminishes a bit I guess due to my body getting used to the high hop rate.

Body is a bit emaciated as well. Puckering mouthfeel that is reminiscent of lemon rinds or fresh lemon juice sucked right from an underipe lemon one receives in ones sweet tea. Not really enjoyable. I will cellar two and revisit this bad boy in one year and two years.
...

3/9/07
Well, after a year of cellaring, I thought I would give this one another go. The ratings numbers above are based on my original review and will not change with subsequent reviews.

Appearance is nearly identical with one exception: No head retention or lacing. Carbonation seems to have ceased quite a bit. A- 2.5

Aromas are mostly orange rind and grapefruit. Some slight hay characteristics but mostly citrus fruits. S- 3.5

Bitterness has certainly decreased and has become quite enjoyable. Nice hop flavor with some malt body to back. That year certainly helped tone down the hop wallop that I so despised the last go round. T- 4.0

Mouthfeel is quite perfect indeed. Nice carbonation even though the appearance seems to dictate otherwise. Medium to full bodied and very well rounded. M- 4.5

Overall impression is that this is a nice beer with a year on her. Certainly some would like that hop power as it is fresh but for me, I like it a bit older. This was certainly worth the wait. One more in the fridge for next year; lets hope she lasts. D- 4.0
Overall 3.65 (2,557 characters)

2.74/5  rDev -32.3%

22 oz brown bottle from Village Market in SF Ferry Bldg, chilled in fridge @ home for about an hour.

Before getting to review, would like to say I love hops, love Imperial IPAs, so I was looking forward to trying this one. Split the bottle w/ a friend, and we both were a bit puzzled. I'm not sure if I got a bad bottle or what, but my impression is quite different from the other reviews I'm seeing here. Maybe it has to do w/ the bottles journey to the West Coast, perhaps temperature change over the journey, etc.

A - Nice 2.5 finger head, fairly quick dissipation, into a slight film; crystal clear, golden pilsner look, a bit flat looking, see-through, slight bubbles

S - Skunky, almost like green bottle skunk, not really getting tons of hops in the aroma which I was expecting... Skunky, minimal hop aroma.

T-M - Yowks. Either this has a really strange hop profile or it takes a while to warm to. Not terrible, but a bit like skunk piss, with a bit of a rubber tire burn out @ the finish. Much like the aroma, just skunky. I just was not getting a fresh hop flavor here. There were definitely hops, but the skunk was more pronounced. Freshness date was 2011 also, so it couldnt have been sitting that long? Mouthfeel was fine, slight carb, nothing that stands out that much. I will say the alcohol is well hidden in all of this.

D - Neither of us wanted another. I think it was just a bad bottle from what else I am seeing here. Will try it again at another time, from a different vendor. Will update this if so... (1,526 characters)

2.76/5  rDev -31.9%

Bomber poured into oversized stemmed ale glass.
Bottle date: Enjoy by- june 24 2011.

A- A clear gold with slight orange hue. Good foamy head, some lacing.

S- Sweet tropical fruits (Apricot, mango, some pineapple). A doughy sweetness.

T- Hops upfront that transitions quickly to a bready/ sweet malt back bone. Rather light taste for an IIPA. balanced. More like an IPA. Might be a good transition beer for those fearful of an IIPA

M- Some bitterness lingers. Light bodied. Kinda watery. Wet.

D- No alc. After initial sips the hops real fade back into a light malt background. Kinda disappointed. After this bomber i'll need to have a double trouble to get my hop fix. (672 characters)

Hop Wallop from Victory Brewing Company