Hop Wallop - Victory Brewing Company

Hop WallopHop Wallop

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Beer added by: Todd on 12-17-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Wallop Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,894 | Hads: 3,674
4.69/5  rDev +15.2%

Wow. Name says it all. Pours very clear, mostly golden in color with a hint of copper hue. Smell is hops, with a dash of hops and a slight hint of hops. Head pours out very well, sticky and hangs around for a bit. Taste, hmmm hops maybe? Hops up front, in the middle and at the end. You can feel the beer on your teeth. Slight hint of some malty sweetness towards the end but not much. A true hop head beer. An excellent selection.

4.2/5  rDev +3.2%

appearance-pours medium golden copper with nice head and plenty of lacing..aroma of strong pine hints of citrus back round malts..taste of the same very very piny with bitter aftertaste.overall enjoyable but it could use a bit more balance on the malt side...

4.53/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is an awesome beer. But BEWARE, as it states in it's name sake: It's a WALLOP of hops. But if you love hops then, you will love this beer.

Right from the tap you get a lighter golden color with a nice frothy head. When you first taste it, it is like getting punched in the face with hops and it takes their vision to another level.

For an imperial IPA I would highly recommend it.

Whether you get it fresh from the tap, in a bottle, in a growler, it will always taste amazing.

3.91/5  rDev -3.9%

Poured from a bomber, some head, nice golden appearance.

Not a strong hoppy aroma but still an overall good smell.

Very full tasting DIPA, nice balance, some citrus notes in taste can almost taste the high alcohol, finish is clean and leaves you wanting more.

I prefer the strong hoppy aroma of northwest IPA's but this was well worth the price @ WholeFoods in San Francisco <$6 and it wasn't disappointing in taste or effect.

I was a bit thrown off with enjoy by date of May 2012, thought IPA was to be enjoyed fresh.

4.05/5  rDev -0.5%

This is my first BeerAdvocate review.

Fresh 12-oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy but rich amber with a one-finger off-white head that dissipates rather quickly. Also, the thick lacing that I've observed with a DIPA such as Dogfish Head 90 minute is only minimally evident.

Smell: Nothing overwhelming here, but distinct floral, pine, and citrus notes that are to be expected from the style.

Taste: The hoppiest beer I've had, I can only liken it to Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA except that it is more complex and full-bodied. Would definitely fall squarely into the "bitter category" for a DIPA (as opposed to "sweeter" examples).

Mouthfeel: Wow, the bitter hoppy taste really lingers on the tastebuds for quite a while!

Drinkability: Could drink another right away, no problem, although the ABV and Victory's concerted effort to exemplify the most extreme of "hoppy" beers limit its sessionability.

Notes: Will be interesting to compare to the [suppsedly] more subdued HopDevil by Victory, and ranks high in my [so far] limited experience with DIPAs. Recommended.

4.63/5  rDev +13.8%

Served from a bottle into a tulip glass.

A - Pours a darker golden color with a finger and a half nice creamy head.
S - Strong piny aroma that you can almost taste. Hard to distinguish much in the aroma.
T - Big punch up front. Strong hoppy flavor, very slight malty and fruity finish. You get a great bitter afteraste with it as well.
M - Light carbonation with a sort of medium body. Leaves a little coating on the tongue and palate, but overall has that classic "clean" feel of a hopbomb.
O - Really, really good DIPA. Everything you want from a beer like this; simple, straightforward, hoppy. I don't get as much citrus as with other DIPAs, but that isn't a bad thing. Highly recommend this beer

3.3/5  rDev -18.9%

Tasted a glass at the Victory event in NYC. I was looking forward to getting my hands on this ale, and I ended up somewhat disappointed. There was a lack of body, a thinness, which made the hoppiness evaporate after the first moments of sipping. Nice aroma, but the flavor just did not follow through. I'd call this more drinkable if it wasn't so high in alcohol. Not bad, but not what I expected.

4.24/5  rDev +4.2%

A tasty brew.
Golden straw in color but with a slight haze. The head is bright white that stays around with decent lacing. Aroma is sweet floral with some citrus. Malt and hops blend well, with the hops winning out in the aftertaste. Nice hoppiness without a lingering harsh bitterness. The high alcohol is well hidden, so watch out, it goes down easy.

4.1/5  rDev +0.7%

Pretty good double. Initial smell was a little skunky. Could be my nose. Smell after a few minutes is great. Hops! Lots of hops. Smells wonderful now.

Taste is pretty good. Smooth and hoppy. Not the best double in the world, but definitely a solid beer. Will easily be finishing off the six pack in the coming week.

4.39/5  rDev +7.9%

Poured from 12oz bottle into Victory pint glass. "Enjoy by Dec. 16, 2011" on bottle.

A: Golden orange color with a nice one finger head that sticks around for a little while. Decent lacing down the glass.

S: HOPS. Extremely aromatic citrus hops with some floral background. This is what an IPA should smell like.

T: Citrus hops dominate the taste. Grapefruit comes through the most in this one, with tons of bitter hops in the background. Not too malty, but a little bit here and there.

M: Medium carbonation, medium bodied, very bitter finish. Good balance.

D: Very good considering the ABV. Tastes more like 6% than 8.5%. Absolutely will get this one again

3.25/5  rDev -20.1%

East coast imperial IPA...sign me up. My initial excitement was short lived as this beer did not fit together well for me.

A- certainly the best characteristic for me. Poured into a pint glass, the head was about 1.5 fingers, off white/white. Lingered on to of the beer, but not completely covering it.

S- the hops are there, right up front. Might smell a bit wet-doggish and earthy. Subtle citrus, but fairly unremarkable to my nose.

T- some malt gets on my tongue early but is very quickly overwhelmed by hop bitterness. Finish is bitter, but not hop-bitter...almost metallic bitter. Some of the earthiness that was present in he smell is also present here.

M- harsh. When I taste for feel, I will often hold my mouth closed without breathing and let the beer rest on my tongue. I was unable to do so with this beer. The metallic bitterness was so pronounced that it literally overwhelmed THE FEEL. A little bit of carbonation can be felt, and you definitely now you have a mouthful of beer.

O- I found this beer to be out of balance. The hop notes, while expected, were not supported by the other attributes of the beer. This reminds me of some over the top west coast style all hop ipas I had when I was in California. Maybe I had a bad beer, but the enjoy by date was April 2014, and I was drinking it in September of 13. I guess the fact that I was half gassed after one beer should have been consolation enough.

4.9/5  rDev +20.4%

The first time I had this, I didn't really care for it... and I still drank the full sixer. That should tell you a bit (either about the beer, or my unwillingness to give away beer I don't like).
That being said, I decided to be a bit more objective. I love this style, and wanted to give this beer a fair shake. After all, how many bad beers have you ever heard of coming from Victory?
Poured a nice clear honey color into my pint glass. Nice 1 inch head that quickly disappeared, but left a good sticky lacing down the side of my glass.
The six-pak holder claims this to be "A very hoppy beer" with contents of "hops, hops, and more hops". One sniff into my glass, and the miner guy was smacking my in the face saying "I told you sonny!" Very hoppy beer... no shite. I got nothing but hops from the aroma.
Let's try tasting this again... high puckering bitterness and hop flavor. Almost like drinking diluted grapefruit juice. Slightly piney (actually more like spruce). The first time I tried this was like drinking spruce sap (and I have). Luckily, this time that taste was not present so much. I enjoy a good hop-alicious beer every now and then. I wish this were a year round offering. I wondered if they used any malts at all, then midglass, the hops settled down, and I got a little malt and pseudo honey backdrop to the hop craziness. Does the label really say 8.5% ABV?, because I can't taste it at all.
Carbonation was perhaps a bit understated. I found no alcohol in either the flavor or mouthfeel. That's dangerous for this beer, especially if you enjoy an in your face hop bomb such as this. Must... force... myself... not... to... drink... entire... six... pack...at... once. The only thing I could recommend to a hophead that would be close it to actually chew on an ounce of hops... like Chinook .

4.47/5  rDev +9.8%

Appearance: A medium colored Gold or copper, this beer looks proper. Memorable Lacing. A little light for an IPA. 4.5.

Smell: A astonishing smell with lots of Tenacity, much like Patrick Ewing. I immediately smelled apricot, a sense of floral hops...I give this beer props. 5.0

Taste: The taste is not overwhelming, and not what I expected from an IPA. It's sweet and delicious hops tingle the senses. Great cohesiveness and continuity throughout the bottle. Great aftertaste. 4.5

Mouthfeel: Could be better, pretty light and watery, not much carbonation, no malt feeling. 4.0

Drinkability: I can drink these while I cover Knicks games! Lord knows I need it too, an excellent combination of hops and sweet taste that lingers and keeps you aspiring for more. 4.0

Sorry for the quick review....but I want to get back to this impressive IPA.

3.85/5  rDev -5.4%

This is my first official review. Here goes:

A: Poured from 12oz bottle into my Sam Adams tulip glass. Color is straw yellow and very clear. Pours a one-inch thick, pale yellow head. Head dissipated very slowly, leaving quite a bit of sticky lacing.
S: Among the many fruit aromas, I pick up apples, cherries and lemons. Very similar to apple juice.
T: Big grapefruit taste up front. Bit of alcohol burn going down. Aftertaste is a little off-putting, like biting through an orange rind.
M: Surprisingly thick for how clear it is. Quite yummy.

Overall, this is a good, yet not outstanding, DIPA.

4.25/5  rDev +4.4%

A: An amazing golden hued straw color with a thick creamy white head that rests open the hazy body. This is what I want all my Imperial IPA's to look like.

S: An initial blast of Clementine fruit followed by a resinous pine smell. unlike other Imperial IPA's the sweetness in the nose isn't followed by a thick caramel scent but is light and brisk and refreshing. Hints of freshly cut grass definitely linger in the background.

T: Wonderfully balanced sweet citric flavors roll across the tongue grassy resinous follow soon there after and the aftertaste smacks of Sauvignon Blanc.

M: Crisply carbonated and very refreshing medium-light body with well balanced acidity and nary a hint of thick caramel feel found in others of this style.

O: I am not a big IPA fan in general and tend to be skeptical of all but a handful of Imperial/Double IPA's so the Hop Wallop really stood out to be because it was so different. I love the fact that most of the caramel notes and feelings found in others are absent from this and that this is also reflected in its amazing coloring. Instead of wickedly bitter and dank like it was so balanced and citrus oriented it totally caught me off guard. I think that this is a great beer and well worth the slightly higher price tag.

4.33/5  rDev +6.4%

Tried at Brews Bros. Pensacola. Served in a standard pint glass.

A- Golden amber color. One inch bellowy head. Adequate lacing down the glass.

S- Light citrus hop nose.

T- Dry, piney, bitter hop finish.

M- Light mouthfeel for a double IPA.

D- I would enjoy this beer again. Good session beer for a higher ABV beer.

3.8/5  rDev -6.6%

Had it for the first time in years and it was a little different than I remembered but still a good beer. The beer seemed more malty than hoppy. The first time I tried it, nearly three years ago, all I remembered was the hops. I don't know what changed me or the beer. I still enjoyed it and would drink it again.

4.63/5  rDev +13.8%

Had this on draught last night, in an 11 oz glass, and while it was indeed delicious, it didn't pack the hop wallop I was expecting. This would be a dangerous session beer, as it is highly drinkable, but the mellow hops hide the 8.5% alcohol!

Appearance was a nice & hazy golden yellow, and it left behind quite a bit of lacing as the beer magically disappeared.

I thought it had a strong hops scent, but the taste was quite a different story. The bite I was expecting was replaced by a mellowness, and a smoothness, that really allowed me to hhold the beer in my mouth to really savor and enjoy the fine taste.

Overall an execellent beer. Highly drinkable. Would definitely drink it again.

4.65/5  rDev +14.3%

I've pretty much NEVER been disappointed by a Victory brew and Hop Wallop is no exception. This is a fantastic beer from a fantastic brewery and if you are a hop head, one you need to try NOW. On to the review.

12 oz. brown bottle. Per the story on the label: "Horace 'Hop' Wallop headed West a broken man. For in the City of Blues a Miss LuLu Belle Lager had left him thirsting for more. Drawn by wild tales of riches to be had in the gold mines, Hop pressed on westward. His last nickel spent on a prospecting pan. Hop's hunger got the best of him. Two fistfuls of barley and three of some wild and wayward hops tossed in a pan with some clear water was to be his meal. But sleep overcame him and he later awoke to a bubbling, cacophonous concoction. Overjoyed with the beautiful ale that he had made, Hop realized the secret of the green gold he had discovered in those fresh hops. Celebrated far and wide, Hop Wallop lives on in this vivid ale with his words, "hoppiness is happiness". Enjoy!" A beer with a backstory. Innovation in the craft beer world. That's more back story than most characters in today's Hollywood movies have. This isn't just a beer brewed and put on shelves for the enjoyment of craft beer lovers all over the USA. No, this is a beer with a story, which makes you appreciate and love it that much more. And when it's gone you genuinely grieve, because given the backstory of the mascot Horace "Hop" Wallace and the epic story behind the creation of this beer (his jilting via Miss LuLu Bell Lager leading to his adventure West and nearly starving to death) makes you relate to it. It brings a tear to the eye.

I am drinking this from my tulip.

A side note is that Bill Covaleski, co-founder and head brewer, does all the artwork for the beer labels himself. This is awesome. Not only does he brew it, but he's doing the art for the labels, too. Phenomenal. This dude knows what's up.

Awesome white head on this. The beer itself is marginally (by marginally I man really) clear colored and it leaves a nice sticky lacing down the glass. It's like the bubbles are little mini Spidermen leaving webbing down the side of the glass as they are chasing Dr. Hoptopus in his attempt to steal the gold that gives this beer it's gorgeous hue.

Loads of citrus and loads of pine. Orange, grapefruit, and pine. All day. It's like you spent the night in a citrus grove and instead of coffee when you woke up you took some pine cones and fruit from the trees and had this for breakfast. Super aromatic beer.

Taste and Mouth Feel

Medium bodied with a nice crisp mouth feel. Taste is identical to the smell: Citrus including orange peel, a bit of lemon, grapefruit and tons of pine. It's a tongue twister. Citrus pine cone punch to the face. Say that 5 times fast. And do it while drinking this beer. It's like trying to conjure Jesus at a seance. Not gonna happen. There is a nice malt backbone there right up front to keep the hops in check, but the hops are definitely doing work throughout the rest of the experience. Easy drinking at 8.5% ABV. Fantastic balance in this beer. Dangerous

As hell. If you are a hop head, this is a phenomenal beer that is a fantastic example of the DIPA style. A fine example for all DIPA's to follow. Like a Valedictorian for it's school in the DIPA class. And this is an East Coast IPA. The West Coast is known for their IPA's but Victory is putting them on notice. If you haven't had this beer yet and you consider yourself a hop head, go ahead and cry yourself to sleep every night until you get the chance to try because YOU ARE missing out.

Overall, this beer is the $h!t. Everything about this beer is awesome, from the appearance to the balance in the taste. The name itself accurately identifies what this beer is about. You will get a wallop of awesomeness right in the face. Hope you have a cast iron jaw!!

2.76/5  rDev -32.2%

Dark golden to light amber. Aroma reminds me of lemongrass or some kind of oriental vegetables like bok choy. Good carbonation. Tastes kinda lemony and a little like asian cabbage. Flavor kinda goes flat. I expected better. Not my favorite "very hoppy ale".

3.89/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Wow, isn't that an experience?

The color is a nice mild amber for an IPA, with a good head and a pantload of lacing. Seriously, I can't remember a beer that coats the glass like this. The smell... wow. Strong hoppy pines, and a bit of citrus, plus a lot of malt that smells like... I can only call it raw dough. Not in a good way. Look at the label. It's the dough that guy would make without access to the things you'd need to make dough. Damn near put me off the beer altogether. Good thing I tasted it.

The hop hits beautifully, nice piny flavor, moves to citrus, then back to the pine. It finishes with a twinge of that dough flavor, but... it works perfectly, somehow. I don't think I've ever hated the way a beer smells and then loved the way it tastes like this before. It's almost better because it smells so bad.

It's got an oily feel, even for an IPA, but again, somehow it works. I wouldn't call it a session beer, I'd go with Hop Devil for that, but it's a damn nice beer and conversation piece. I feel like I'm rating it low for as much as I enjoy it, but everyone should be warned that there may be parts of this brew that you'll have to fight your way through to get to the good stuff.

4.67/5  rDev +14.7%

First review, so I figured I'd start with one of my favorite beers from one of my favorite styles:

A - Poured into a pint glass. A very nice light amber color. Also a nice head, that retained very well.

S - Like almost everyone, very piny. A very little citrus hint leaks through as well.

T - Tastes almost just as it smells. Very bitter with hops. Can get a little taste of the alcohol, but this beer incorporates it nicely. Aftertaste isn't too lingering. Extremely hoppy.

M - Very "awakening". Extremely crisp. It kind of wakes you up with its hoppiness. Not as heavy as the abv would suggest.

D - Although I love this brew, the 8.5% abv makes it tough to enjoy more than a couple in a sitting. Even with the abv, I find this beer highly drinkable and recommend to anyone in search of a great double ipa.

Since this is my first review, any criticism and/or comments would be welcome. Thanks guys!

4.15/5  rDev +2%

12 oz bottle that is probably about 3 weeks old - served in a standard pint glass

Appearance was pale and bight golden/straw yellow, not the orange amber I was expecting for an 8.5 beer
Fantastic head of course, foamed up two inches, bright white, lasted 3/4 of the glass and contibuters the most to this beer having a great appearance, carbonation slightly heavy which works well with the hops and ABV

The smell was complex - some grapefruit, piney/lemon aromas, but also notes of spicey noble hop character
difficult to pin down hop variety from the nose, but the smell alone invites you to take a long slow sip

Taste started out as a nice balance between citrius hop and light malt character wtih a note of alcholo tying them together
thin mouthfeel then gives way to growing hop flavour and big bitter bite that lasts long after your last sip

It took me 1 hour to drain my glass - the big bitter character in the finish of this beer had me taking small sip and enjoying bitter aftertaste, definetly not a session beer for me, but certainly worth a try

4.18/5  rDev +2.7%

12 oz bottle served in duvel glass

a: straw colored light gold

s: finally that elusive cat piss smell that people have been talking about. its definitely prominent. also grassy floral qualities.

t: hop bitterness up front which is different. usually it hits you at the end. nice grassy taste as well. alcohol not really that noticeable.

m: light/medium mouthfeel, very well recieved for a beer with this much alcohol.

d: easily drinkable for a beer of 8.5% almost dangerously drinkable

4.52/5  rDev +11.1%

The bottle was date coded with "best by May 3 2011." Poured into a pint glass, Hop Wallop flowed from it's bottle and rolled into my glass, the color was surprisingly yellow, but once the glass was full it glimmered a delicate light gold. Poured very well with a two finger head that just peered over the brim of the glass. The head lasted a few moments and then began to fad, leaving behind a beautiful sticky lace in it's place. The smell is sweet. A very fruity and pleasant smell. It smells of oranges, lemons, and most of all I think cumquat. At first a small sip shows no mercy, a powerful hop profile hits you, complex and strong, hops! Theres a slightly spicy note then it mellows out leaving the citrusy characteristic I smelled, but not sweet this time, a delicious bittery citrus instead, grapefruit. A large sip reveals something else, something a little sweeter at first then bitter. Very little carbonation, the beer feels light but also dense.

I love this beer. It's a great summer beer and I look forward to its return to my fridge every year. Cheers.

Hop Wallop from Victory Brewing Company