Hop Wallop - Victory Brewing Company

Hop WallopHop Wallop

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-17-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Wallop Alström Bros

Pours a golden color with minimal head, but plentiful carbonation.

Scent of strong hops, caramel and some fruitiness. No notes of alcohol, which is very nice.

Taste of strong piny hops, a slight earthiness, and caramel. Finishes with a lasting taste of hops. Alcohol is hidden very well here too.

Mouthfeel is smooth and clean, but light enough to be drinkable.

paco1029384756, Dec 11, 2008
4.38/5  rDev +6.8%

12oz to tulip glass, pours a golden hazy peach, creamy white head fades to excellent lacing

smells of caramel malt, grass, sweet citrus, hops ++

taste is of sweet citric hops, bitter, very well balanced, heavy biscuit caramel malt, alcohol is hidden well, nice flavors! yum!

mouthfeel is super heavy bitter lingering pine resin, but still easy to drink at the level of alc

drxandy, Dec 11, 2008
3.18/5  rDev -22.4%

Appearance: Very clear golden-orange color with a pillowy white creamy head. The head recedes moderately fast and leaves chunky lacing in its wake.

Aroma: Not as powerful an aroma as I expected. What's there is, of course, hoppy. There is pine and some citrus. It almost reminds me of the aroma of marijuana, although not as strong.

Mouthfeel: Nice smooth carbonation with a medium body. There is an oiliness that coats the mouth, but its not as sticky as many DIPAs.

Taste: Very hoppy and not as balanced as I'd hoped. It's still good, but it has bit too much of a bite and the bitterness is palette-numbing. It's difficult to pick out the flavors over the pure bitterness, but in the finish I detect grapefruit and pine. The finish is more of the same: very bitter with a not-too-pleasant aftertaste.

Overall impression: Well there's truth in advertising. It is a hop wallop. Unfortunately, for me it is just more bitter than balanced and what complexity may be there is lost due to the overwhelming bitterness. DIPAs are my favorite style, but this one just doesn't have it for me. It's not bad but it is definitely not one I'd buy again.

jkendrick, Dec 11, 2008
2.5/5  rDev -39%

A - Pours a crystal clear golden yellow. Small/medium size white bubble head that is pretty organized.

S - Big fresh hop smell and a nice malt balance presence as well. Small sourness smell at the end.

T - Whoa big spice punch up front, to much for my taste. Whatever this spice is, it's way to much. Maybe this is a bad bottle? Anyway there is also a bready/wheat taste on the finish. The 8.5% is absolutely no where to be seen, awesome job in hiding that.

M - A spice tang is left on the back of the palate, but its an overall clean feeling.

D - I hope this is a bad bottle because this is way spicy and very hard to get through the bottle.

Yesac, Dec 11, 2008
3.55/5  rDev -13.4%

I wasn't impressed by this beer. Being a hophead I thought I'd love this beer. It was not the case. I felt like it was trying too hard(doesn't make sense but whatever). I was hoping for a Hopslam or Huma-lupa-licious taste.

Look: Brown, slight haze
Smell: Heavy hops. It almost felt like I was drinking barleywine.
Taste: Very bubbly and hoppy, leaves heavy hop scent on pallet. Fumes out of your nose.

Although I wasn't a huge fan of this beer, I have the utmost respect for this brewery and will try this beer again along with all of their other brews. I still highly recommend Hop Wallop.

Itoclown, Dec 10, 2008
4.2/5  rDev +2.4%

Pours out a very pale gold with decent off white head.

As soon as I opened the bottle I could smell hops. Smelled of strong grapefruity hops with a little pine to it.

taste is a bang of bitter grapefruity hops. There is more malt to it then you would think from the color. It's enough to make the hops from knocking you out. The alcohol is a detectable but not bad at all. It helps to balance out all those tasty hops.

Mouthfeel is ok, kinda what is expected. The drinkability is more than any DIPA I've had, but I wouldn't be able to handle many of these anyway.

Pinto21, Dec 10, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +5.6%

Picked up a 2008 release. 12 oz. brown bottle with a green label and an illustration of a hillbilly who is in dire need of a rabies shot.

Pours a brilliant golden/ tangerine with a creamy layer of off-white foam and nice lacing, nice strings of fizz.

Awesome hop aroma Large grassy/herbal hops dominate the smell of the brew. Pale malt and of honey, just a touch of maraschino cherries.

Large sweetness upfront caramel/honey flavor really difficult to pinpoint because the hop flavor and bitterness take hold aggressively. Hops are a bit herbal and grassy in flavor that swiftly moves to an earthy/piny/citrus bitterness that envelopes the entire palate. I am left with a severely dry palate as if I just took a massive chomp out of a grapefruit, peel and all! I need to take another sip.

Rather full-bodied with a slickness in texture, nice fizz sting.

This beer is very good and really shows off the capabilities of the hop!

8.5% ABV feels great, Cheers!

SteveO1231, Dec 10, 2008
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass; "best by" date clearly marked Oct. 03, 2009

P: Hop Wallop pours out of the bottle deep-straw to light gold in color and creates a nice cascading effect. Looks good in the glass as it sits an orangish-amber colored liquid, topped off by a pearly-white 2 fingered head that's densely packed with tiny bubbles. Displays okay retention and leaves nice patches of webby lace upon retreat.

A: Needless to say, the hops bombard the nostrils with scents of citrus; slightly reminscent of orange rinds and huge doses of lemon zest. Beneath the huge waves of citrusy hops there is a toasted bready malt presence that rounds out the nice, but not very complex, aroma.

T: Whew! This is the definition of a palate-smacking hops flavor. While they do rule the palate with an iron fist, the toasted malts produce a bready flavor that attempts to lead an uprising, but resistance is futile. The sweet/lemony hops-heavy profile continues to lay the law. Even though it gets a little unbalanced at times, being the hops-head that I am, I love it. Bittering hops just sandblast the palate on the finish to leave a pleasantly-sour aftertaste that lingers for a while.

M: Has a nice medium-bodied feel to it. Aggressively carbonated with a carbonic "bite" that really pops on the tongue. Really clean and smooth.

D: Personally, I could make this one a session beer, even though it's packing an 8.5% ABV. Really good taste, but the huge wall of hops would probably begin to overwhelm the palate after awhile.

Notes: It really lives up to its name. This one is purely for hop-heads only! All others should probably steer clear of the Hop Wallop. The flavor profile is tight & clean, and leaves you feeling refreshed. If you'd like nothing more than a huge dose of hops in your beer (and believe that "hoppiness is happiness") then I recommend you try this one! A solid DIPA for sure.

sweetbrew82, Dec 08, 2008
3.68/5  rDev -10.2%

Picked up the single 12 oz bottle from Jungle Jim's in Fairfield, OH.

A: Pours an orangey amber color with a light white head. A little lacing on the glass.

S: Hops and a little rye/pine smell.

T: Same as the smell except I can taste the rye/pine more, slight bite from it. This beer isn't as sweet as I expected and hoped.

M: Good amount of carbonation, not watery or creamy...pretty normal.

D: Drinkability is pretty good, but the rye/pine I pick up in here makes it less enjoyable for me personally.

The rye/pine in here makes this have more bite and there isn't as much sweetness as I'd hoped, which makes this just one of those beers I don't dislike, but don't really prefer.

dukedevil0, Dec 07, 2008
3.88/5  rDev -5.4%

Seeing as how I love this beer and when it is available in the late Fall, I happily purchased my case and brought it home. Orangey head about 1" thick and strong pine and grapefruit smell. While still the flavorable hop offering from Victory, I was disappointed with this years batch. The mouthfeel is thin and the taste is watery from memory of years past.

Still worth it but I felt last years offering had a better taste and mouthfeel.

happybear, Dec 05, 2008
4.4/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

12oz bottle poured into pint glass.

A - Pale orange with thick 1-finger white head. Medium lacing and good head retention.

S - Could even smell the hops as soon as the bottle was opened. Floral hops, citrus, pine...a blend of all different hoppy smells. Very impressed.

T - Considering the crazy amount of hops, it's pretty well-balanced. Sweet malts start it off, and then you get a very heavy hop bitterness in the aftertaste. Notes of citrus as well. Very tasty.

M - Very light body with very high carbonation. Not much of a residue.

D - If one likes hops, it would be easily to have a few of these. Great taste and character.

An excellent hop-bomb...highly recommended.

gciccarelli, Dec 05, 2008
4.25/5  rDev +3.7%

Wow! I could smell the hops as soon as i opened up the bottle. This beer poured a dark golden color with a fingers' worth of sticky white head. There was an amazing smell of floral hops. The smell sets you up for the hops your about to get and the taste does not disappoint.

william5586, Dec 04, 2008
4.75/5  rDev +15.9%

My favorite IIPA. This is a rare breed in the IIPA category. This beer focuses 100% of the hops and seems like it puts minimal malt in there to tame it. Pour is a beautiful bubbly medium gold with a one finger white head. Aroma was all citrus hops. Taste is like sucking water from a Centennial hop cone (which I've done). The malt is at the perfect level where it doesn't balance the beer out....it makes it drinkable. The 2008 is not as good as the other years, but is still great.

HomebrewPgh, Dec 04, 2008
4.45/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I cannot believe I have never reviewed this beer. I've had it on cask, bottled, on-tap, on-tap at the brewery and in a growler filled at the brewery. Strangely, I never got around to reviewing it.
This review is based on a sample from the bottle.

Very light copper-colored body with numerous, fast-moving strands of carbonation bubbles. About a finger and a half of white head. Some decent retention, a layer of head stays on top of the drink for the entire duration. Great lacing; sticky rings that cover most the glass as you drink.

Huge hop aroma. Bitter, citrus, piney, floral. Basically all hops in the aroma, and I love it.

This is a hop bomb for sure. Layers of different hop flavors come through in the taste. Underneath all the hops is a very slight, sweet malt bill, but you have to look for it. The first flavor is an intense citrus hop flavor, followed by some more hops that have a piney flavor. It tastes like what I would expect pine tar to taste like, but I mean that in a positive way. Finishes with a big hop bitterness. The hops linger in the aftertaste, especially the citrusy flavors. Pretty thin bodied, highly carbonated. Not very oily.

This is a very drinkable DIPA, not boozy or too sweet. Definitely for the hop heads though; this one is loaded with hops.

Hojaminbag, Dec 02, 2008
4.25/5  rDev +3.7%

had this at this cool bar in Northenr liberites "The Druids Keep"
the bartender assured me that it was this years

it pours a wonderful yellow with a giant frosty head that hands out

it smells like fresh wonderful hops, very unique
It doesnt taste west coast or east coast neccesairly ...

bvery refreshing and as I saw from a post in the forums... they did not skip out on the hops

i dont give such high drinkabilty reasons for beers creeping up on double didgit ABV's but this beer is hard to taste the extra alcohol ..I only had one of these.. But I bet I would feel pretty good if I had more that 2

would love to try this on the hand pump

it

gdfan47, Dec 02, 2008
4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

A - Poured into a pint glass. Nice golden color, clear with minimal head.
S - First whiff gives a strong hop presence, with some hints of citrus and caramel.
T - First taste has similar flavors that I smelled, sweet at first, with a bitter ending.
M - Smooth, yet a nice coarse finish. Not too heavy, but something you can chew on.
D - This is a great beer. For a 8.5% ABV there are no signs of it. A nice firm hop to it, but not overwhelming. Just enough to get into the other flavors of the beer.

Jaup, Dec 02, 2008
3.53/5  rDev -13.9%

Pours an amber golden color with a thin white head. Aroma of hops, grapefruit and other citrus fruits. Lots of hops up front balanced out with a slight lemony citrus flavor. A touch too watered down for my liking. I feel that their Hopdevil is a far superior beer.

corby112, Dec 01, 2008
4.83/5  rDev +17.8%

Big thanks to my roommate who picked me up a 6-pack over in Houston.

Appearance: Deep copper color; head is small, but retains for a long time with lacing

Smell: citrus smell followed by a strong hoppy scent

Taste: Tastes like a bitter orange juice and grapefruit juice mixed together; very pleasant taste and the flavor is steady

Drinkability: I find myself wishing I had drank this throughout the night instead of picking up only enough of this beer for special occasions.

Great beer.

Jablonski, Nov 30, 2008
4.97/5  rDev +21.2%

The pint I sampled was hand pumped from a cask.
A- Opaque golden amber in a pint glass. Lace was rough with lareger bubbles in the ivory/tan foam and clung to the glass pretty thickly.
S - Very fresh hops and spices on the nose - love it!
T - hops tasted fresh picked and though bitter had a soft edge to them and lasted through the finish. Couldn't taste much malt to balance, but this is so good that their presence was not missed. Hops ere very piney tasting with floral oils (i know this sounds like a smell, but I swear I tasted it!)
M - Pretty viscous but refreshing.
D - Great, though the bitter finish does stay with you for a while.
I will say that I probably enjoyed this more than itams bottled counterpart, but it was more bitter.

kirkmichel, Nov 29, 2008

Pours a cloudy gold with little white head. Amiable aroma of hops, sweet citrus notes and a little honey. Aggressive hop bitterness in taste that gives way to the driest finish around. This brew erases previous tastes from the palate with invading hop armies. Mild carbonation allows the tongue to embrace the hops and become an avid vegetarian for while. A dangerously smooth brew creates a great drinkability.

JRed, Nov 27, 2008

Deep gold/amber beer, ever so slightly hazy, with a sticky off-white head. Nose is heavy on citrus hops, as expected. Nice and fruity. Taste is hoppity hoppiness from the first sip. Long lingering citrus hops, quite piney. Good mouthfeel. This beer is pretty much exactly as I expected: a nice citrus pine hop monster.

shivtim, Nov 27, 2008
4.05/5  rDev -1.2%

Pours an orange color with a nice head and lacing. Smell is citrusy with lemon aroma dominating throughout. Pineapple flavor shines through along with lemon and some creamy malt flavors. Mouthfeel is creamy with good carbonation. Drinkability is good for a double IPA.

jhu1995, Nov 27, 2008
3.15/5  rDev -23.2%

A crisp amber pour with a billowing ivory head. Minimal lacing.

Smell was the first disappointment. Underwhelming spicy and earthy hop character. Caramel malt blows in stronger.

The hops are also absent from the palate. Not the hop bomb I was expecting. Malty. Boring.

No complaints with the mouthfeel. Carbonation fits nicely with the thicker body.

I'm being very lenient when I give this a 3 for drinkability. The first beer was a drain pour for me. A drinkable beer if you think of it as an Imperial Pale Ale.

Overall, this beer was a tremendous disappointment. The six-pack was supposed to be fresh, yet it tasted like a DIPA that had been sitting out for months, losing all the hop character I enjoy. It did not fit the citrusy/floral/piney American Double IPA profile (certainly not of the West). Hopdevil was also disappointing. Victory brewing makes an incredible pilsner and RIS, but I am not impressed with their "hoppy" beers. Too malty. Not hoppy enough. Poor representations of their styles.

itcomesnpints, Nov 25, 2008
4.25/5  rDev +3.7%

A- Quite light for a DIPA. Light straw with orange highlights and about a half inch of head that sticks around for a minute or two. A nice lacing is left on the glass as the beer recedes.

S- Big, pungent hop aroma with lots of leafy, herbal goodness. Also a touch of sweet, tropical fruit.

T- More raw, unadulterated hops. The hop character here is quite different to most DIPAs that I've had. The taste is less about pine and citrus and more about spicy, leafy, and almost earthy flavors. There is no balance to this beer at all; the hops dominate from start to finish with barely a hint of malt. A hint of sweetness actually does come through from time to time, but it's gone before I can pin it down. The bitterness is very high, but it fits the beer so well that it isn't in the way.

M- Nice medium body with a good, strong carbonation level.

D- Actually very high. The alcohol isn't noticeable at all and the bitterness actually helps the drinkability. It makes me want to keep drinking. I wouldn't mind having a couple more of these... only if I wasn't going anywhere, of course.

This wasn't my first time trying this beer. I'd had it a couple times before and been very unimpressed, but I'm pretty sure that I had an old bottle on both occasions. I picked this one up knowing that it was fresh and it didn't disappoint. This isn't one of those sweet, malty, barleywine-like DIPAs. This beer is hop-forward and in-your-face. If you want balance, look elsewhere. If you're looking for a palate-wrecker, this is the beer for you. Recommended.

vtfan77, Nov 25, 2008
4.3/5  rDev +4.9%

A- rather clear amber color body with a finger of white head.

S- some caramel malts with a ton of citrus hops.

T- more caramel malt than i could smell, and even more grapefruit hops. awesome.

M- medium mouth feel. semi mouth coating. crisp and clean

D- yum. a great DIPA with a well hidden ABV. easy fix for hops. i love it. check this one out if you get the chance. i wish this was more than once a year.

jwinship83, Nov 23, 2008