Hop Wallop - Victory Brewing Company

Hop WallopHop Wallop

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-17-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Wallop Alström Bros
turbine2475

3.88/5  rDev -5.4%

A;golden brown with a healthy head that very slowly disipates leaving a thick lace
S: dense scent of milk thistle
T: pure hoppy embrace with a citrusy salt finish
M: suprisingly smoothe for the amount of hops present in the brew
D: overall a great brew that can be readily enjoyed but was suprisingly lighter then victory's companion hop devil...might be sold better as a spring or summer brew but is a welcome alternative to the densely flooded dark winter seasonal market

11-26-2007 19:46:41 | More by turbine2475
NCSUdo

4.03/5  rDev -1.7%

12 oz bottle

A: Pours a perfectly clear golden under a nice frothy white head. Nice lacing and good retention.

S: Mostly fruity hops in smell, with some piney character shining through in the back end. Hop character is more of a tropical fruity rather than citrus.

T: Hoppy, obviously, but not as bitter as I had expected (not to say that it isn't bitter). A nice piney/earthy hop character on the palate with some grapefruit.

M/D: Carbonation is pretty high on this one but nothing that really punches you in the tongue. Light bodied and pretty drinkable. Overall, a pretty nice IPA, not sure if I would call it a double, but pretty good none the less.

11-26-2007 01:13:02 | More by NCSUdo
JMBSH

Colorado

1.83/5  rDev -55.4%

Let me start by admitting that I am not a "hop head". But I never let that stop me from trying a new beer. The color is a light orange with some bubbles after a hard pour in a pint glass. No real head is formed and just a hint of foam remains for the tasting. The scent is so faint that I wondered if the beer was bad. Hardly any scent of hops that I have smelled in other hoppy beers. With first taste, I find the beer is very bitter. After making sure the mouthfull touches my whole mouth, I get a faint citrus/herbal taste. But before I can identify the flavors, an incredible aftertaste comes from the back of my mouth and seems to reach to my throat. An almost medicine taste that makes me forget about the first sensations. It coats my mouth and seems to want to not want to go away. I take some time for the taste to leave. I take another taste. and another. With each one the bitterness seems to deminish a bit each time but just a little of the medicine flavor of an aftertaste remains on the very back of my tongue. I have tried most of the Victory's beers and I think I will have to stick to their other fine creations.

11-25-2007 02:29:33 | More by JMBSH
kosmoraios

Washington

3.88/5  rDev -5.4%

Pours a very clear, light golden color. Looks almost like a lager. Head is white, 1/4 finger, but leaves good lacing and never quite dissipates.

Aroma is of sweet citrus with a hint of pine sap. Taste is indescribably "light" for what it is, with the orange/grapefruit/pine sap dominating the sweet malt backing. As the ale warms, the peppery-sweetness of the malt becomes more evident. I'm totally baffled as to what type of malt it is.

Mouthfeel is light and carbonated, with no hint of the oily phenols that I expect in a double IPA. Very drinkable, even sessionable, if one disregards the 8.5% ABV :)

I must say that I really like Victory. This one is different... sweeter and "lighter", if you will, then a DIPA. I can't quite decide whether I love it or dislike it. I'll have to try it again in a few weeks.

11-24-2007 18:12:23 | More by kosmoraios
OWSLEY069

4.22/5  rDev +2.9%

Pours a clean orange-ish/ yellow color with a white head. In the aroma, a malty grapefruity/ citrus hop presence. In the taste, a huge grapefruity hop profile, with a nice peppery malt backing. A malty/ bigger body mouthfeel, with a grapefruity hop and dry malt aftertaste. Nice big hops, balanced well with a big malt presence.

11-24-2007 14:16:43 | More by OWSLEY069
Lothore

3.95/5  rDev -3.7%

A- Pours a golden orange hue with a small but sticky white head which leaves a little bit of lacing. Very few carbonation bubbles are present.

S- Smell is very sweet and malty with hints of piney hops in the background. This reminds me of Titan DIPA which I wasn't a fan of.

T- Taste is very hop forward, with a candy sweet maltiness hiding in the background. The finish is fairly dry and bitter.

M- Very carbonated and a lot thinner than I was expecting from the nose.

D- This beer attempts to be a very hop forward DIPA and certainly suceeds at that. What keeps it from being up there with Pliny, Dreadnaught, Double simcoe etc. is the fact that it just doesn't balance enough. Very close to being a great DIPA with a few minor setbacks.

11-22-2007 04:06:49 | More by Lothore
sopclod

4.28/5  rDev +4.4%

Is that one of the seven dwarves on the bottle? Drinky? Hoppy? No, it's Horace "Hop" Wallop, and he has a story to tell!

In general I like Victory brews, and I like hops, so when I saw Hop Wallop at my local Binny's, I jumped at the chance. I picked up a 6 pack for a very reasonable price.

This beer sits somewhere between IPA and DIPA; it's definitely "bigger", if you will, than your sierra nevada pale ale and such, but it's not in the same category as say, Maharaja or 120 minute.

I don't know what this beer looks like since I poured it directly from the bottle to my mouth. This beer is all hops. There's a lot of citrus, with the more earthy, bitter flavors in the background a bit. The alcohol is very well masked.

Overall a top notch IPA, especially considering the price.

EDIT: I should mention that the bottles I had had no date on them. I know some people have had issues with old beer, but I don't know when mine were brewed.

11-21-2007 19:38:15 | More by sopclod
brantadid

2.7/5  rDev -34.1%

Poured a clear golden color with a thin white head. No lacing.

Smelled like a mass produced beer. Faint hops. Not very pungent at all.

Taste is totally different than the smell. Tons of bitter hops. Slight sweetness on the front palate followed by bitter citrus rind, and even more bitterness on the back palate. Tasted a little unbalanced.

High carbonation with a creamy mouthfeel.

I really like Victory but I wasn't impressed with this offering.

11-21-2007 03:19:50 | More by brantadid
Jmamay22

4.4/5  rDev +7.3%

I picked up a single bottle because I have too many hop bombs on hand. First time enjoying this one despite living fairly close to the brewery. Maybe I'll search out for more if this turns out as great as advertised.

Pours out a clear gold with a hint of amber. The beer is only a few shades darker than a pils and features a somewhat unique color, that seems somewhat bland in my opinion. The head is about one finger deep with an ecru coloring. Very little amount of carbonation rises slowly to the top.

Smells of piney citric hops. All grape fruit and pine needles here. Maybe some hints of caramel to balance things out a bit. Solid, but I've sniffed better.

In a word, nice. Taste is the best feature of this beer aside from drinkability. Grape fruit and resinous hops are all there with a sweet malt background that keeps things together. All hops, but not in a disdainfully bitter sense. Well down Double IPA.

Mouthfeel is dead center medium with prickly carbonation that enhances the hop flavors. Drinkability is way to easy and this brew is dangerously deceiving. A great hop head dream that grew on me until the glass emptied.

11-20-2007 18:27:01 | More by Jmamay22
ajr24

4.72/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The brewers of victory really know what they're doing here. This imperial IPA satisfies everything I look for in an exceptional beer.

Love the bottle design and the story of Horace "Hop" Wallop on the side, even though it hurt my eyes big time to read it... Pours an ambery, goldenish copper with awesome off-white head with tons of lacing.

The smell is Hoptacular hoppiness (so is the taste), piny and citrusy.

It's true that hoppiness is happiness, tasted hops intertwined with grapefruit and other citrus flavors.

The mouthfeel is pure bliss- "it's like there's a party in my mouth and everyone's invited!"

For an imperial IPA I could sure session this beer if I wanted to- tis a crying shame this beer is seasonal.

11-19-2007 04:42:50 | More by ajr24
kwakwhore

4.35/5  rDev +6.1%

I've reviewed this beer before, but the newest version(drink by Nov. 08) is just out and it deserves updating.
Hops are still what this beer is about, floral citrus in the aroma which dominates everything else.
The flavor is hoppy as well. The first thing on the tongue is bitter grapefruit, which is followed with just enough malt undertone to provide some balance. The finish is like the start, dominated by bittering hops.
If you don't like hops you won't like this beer, but for me the longer I drink beer, the more I like hops, so this beer has grown on me in a big way. I do think that this is one of the better releases of this beer, one more example of a high quality beer by a high quality brewer.

11-19-2007 02:24:08 | More by kwakwhore
Kegatron

4.13/5  rDev +0.7%

On cask at the VBC.

Pours a cloudy, golden caramel color with a big creamy, vanilla white head that left some excellent lacing down the glass. Aroma is prominent floral hops and citrus with a slight undertone of sweetness and heat.

Taste is a bitter hop bomb throughout highlighted by a very strong floral citrus character. Underlying sweet maltiness is present but gets overpowered way too easily and seems to be there just for the hops to ride along on. Bitterness and alcohol just coats your palette in the finish, in an ending that you wont soon forget until the next sip. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, silky smooth, and delicous.

Wow, this was my first experience with this beer on cask and it was quite a memorable one. Not for the hoppy faint of hearted but ectasy for serious hop heads. Unfortunately that combo of hops and alcohol make it a serious sipper and I seriously doubt that I could (or would) want more than one in a sitting, so it takes a hit in the drinkability department. If your able to find this guy on cask outside of the brewery, do yourself a favor, batten down the hatches, and set sail for one hoppy ride.

Serving type: cask

11-18-2007 16:03:38 | More by Kegatron
Traquairlover

2.7/5  rDev -34.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A = Slightly murky orange-ish amber. Forms a head of medium to small bubbles which dissipates pretty quickly leaving good lacing on the glass and a nice film on the surface. Light amount of carbonation bubbles of medium size. Would grade it higher if not for the hazy clarity.

S = Strong alcohol presence with an almost anti-septic smell, once you get past that it has pine with hints of citrus, not a lot of malt.

T = Lots of hops taste, mostly pine but also some lemon, maybe even a hint of lime and flowers. Lots of bitterness throughout the drink and with a long dry, bitter finish. The alcohol kick is a little too much. If you like straight bitter hops, this definitely does fits the bill. There is not nearly enough balance though, I barely even detect malt flavors. Final view is it is unbalanced and the alcohol was almost antiseptic.

M = Medium bodied, great amount of carbonation giving it a frothy silky mouthfeel. Good mouthcoating.

D = This beer is good but has limited appeal for serious hopheads who can also accept the high ABV.

11-16-2007 23:39:24 | More by Traquairlover
MiguelMandingo

I meant to review this brew last season, and I ended up just drinking my last bottle and couldn't review it. I have had to wait about seven months for this to be released again. It was worth the wait - I really enjoy this beer. It isn't the best DIPA out there, but it is pretty tasty.

Poured a 12 oz. bottle into a DFH snifter.

Appearance - It is a light honey gold color. Pours completely transparent. It produces a 1 finger head that slowly dissipates to a paper-thin crown. It leaves behind a decent amount of lacing.

Smell - The scent is primarily hops. There is a lot of pine, citrus grapefruit, pineapple, honey and caramel scents. The honey and caramel smells are very subdued. The scent is very floral in nature.

Taste - Hops, and not much else. I get flavors of pine, grapefruit, and lemon zest. There is a slight hint of caramel malt, but you have to dig deep for it. It is definitely a bitter hop bomb. It tastes really good, but this is far from balanced. It lives up to its namesake, to be sure.

Mouthfeel - This is medium bodied, but on the lighter side of medium. The carbonation level helps to cut through the bitterness. It has a slightly dry finish.

Drinkability - Good. This is a pretty easy drinking DIPA. The bitterness keeps making me go back to take another sip, and it pairs excellently with a spicey meal. I have had two this evening, and that is my limit.

This is one of my favorite offerings from Victory. Tasty stuff.

11-15-2007 04:10:48 | More by MiguelMandingo
callmemickey

4.05/5  rDev -1.2%

A: pale yellow.. minimal head.. not inviting for a dIPA

S: lovely citrus hops.. lots of them in fact.. dash of pine and some alcohol

T: mirrors the aroma .. in a good way.. i got the citrus hops first before a bit of pine finished off the beer nicely.. some malts were felt throughout

M: super-smooth.. nice crisp finish with a bit of lingering hop goodness

O: very enjoyable... if i was blind and didnt think i was drinking coors light it might have been even more impressed

11-15-2007 01:42:17 | More by callmemickey
uberkane

4.22/5  rDev +2.9%

This is my first review!! How exiting. I've been into craft beer for over a year now, so I believe it is time!
Why not start with a wallop??

Appearance: Comes in a brown, 12 oz. bottle. According to the bottle it is a "Very Hoppy Ale" and clocks in at 8.5% ABV. There is a comical picture of an old man prospector, foaming at the mouth and seeming quite happy. A story accompanies this man, whose name is Horace "Hop" Wallop. A heartwarming tale of a prospector down on his luck, who gets out of the gutter when he discovers this hoppy brew.

Beer pours a light golden yellow with a hint of orange. There is a small white head, but this is from a pour on the gentle side. The head dissipates, and leaves a small faint, bubbly ring of lacing.

Smell: Hops! Piney and citrus hops. Sweet and sticky, yet spicy. Grapefruit. After agitation, there are some soft breadey notes from the malts. What a smell!

Taste: Grapefruit and piney hops immediately upon hitting mouth. Spicy and herbal as well. Malt enters the scene while swallowing, felt on the back of the palate. A soft bready, cereal note balances your ballet a little, but Hops is the predominate flavor. It persists in the after taste, leaving a leafy taste, with some grapefruit and herbalness. Not sure when (or if!?) the aftertaste goes away. A constant reminder "Hey! You're drinking a beer! And don't you forget it!" As the beer warms, the malt backbone becomes more present, and the hops a bit spicier.

Mouthfeel: Light body, but has some smooth creaminess to it. Carbonation is present, but not dominating.

Drinkability: Surprisingly very drinkable, considering the hops and an above average ABV (not for an IIPA, just in general). Not sure about this being a session beer for me. I'd probably only have one or two at a time. However, that depends on my mood. If i get into hoppy moods, i could definitely see this as a session beer, kinda like when i get into spicy moods and eat non-stop spicy foods for a week.

The main thing here is, as it suggests, Hops. So in that regard, it does well. You get exactly what you see, and if you're a hophead, or just looking for a hop fix, it's great!

11-14-2007 03:47:57 | More by uberkane
PhageLab

4.05/5  rDev -1.2%

Single bottle poured into a standard pint glass.

A - Bronze mixture with orange highlights and a good inch of froth that hung out for a while. Laced very well, impressive presentation.

S - Aroma here of course is big on hop tinge, but there is a bit of balance displayed with the citrus, lemons and grapefruit, and even some pine. Makes the mouth water.

T - Mild bitterness, slight sweetness from the citrus notes, but, most noteably, huge pine hop blast. Almost minty in a way, but together it tastes great and masks the abv completely.

M - Medium to full bodied, great carbonation level, left a piney residue in the mouth that made me want another sip.

D - Pretty good, this was a godsend after trying Stoudt's double. Single-handedly renewed my faith in double IPA's. I'd take another any day, recommended.

11-12-2007 15:07:31 | More by PhageLab
ohoove

Connecticut

3.8/5  rDev -7.3%

A light copper color crystal clear with an off white head along with average lacing.
Smell is dominated by citrus- orange mostly grapefruit and of course pi ne.
Taste mimmicks the smell with a hint of vanilla but on the finish is definitely overpowered by the bitter hop finish mixing with the small malt sweetness.
Mouthfeel is average to medium, leaves a nice coating on the palate and lips.
For me the drinkability is exceptional for the style ,DIPA. Most DIPA's i've had lately are pretty heavy handed by the citrus bitterness but this one is pretty well balanced. Again, for the style i feel this could be sessionable, but , proceed with caution!
One or the top 2 of this style to date for me, will be heading out for more soon. YUM!

11-10-2007 19:52:00 | More by ohoove
Hautacam

Connecticut

4.22/5  rDev +2.9%

This 07' version is a lot different and better than last years.
The color is more amber , more of a complex piney-grapefruity aroma.
The flavor is more complex....again more grapefruit-pine....last years tasted more like a Saaz to me. It's just as bitter as before , but there is more of a sweet malt backdrop....not too much though. Alcohol is more evident in this version and compliments the hop "wallop".
Pretty drinkable even @ 8.5%...I'm looking for more than one with this. Very good.
I just noticed that my refrigerator is getting Victory dense....Hop Wallop, Golden Monkey, Storm King...all good.

11-10-2007 13:04:36 | More by Hautacam
L4t3rg4t3r

Appearance: Pours a cloudy wheat color.

Smell: strong oily hops.

Taste: hops, hops, and more hops with a nice trailing bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Medium to heavy, this beer changes character as it warms, and the hop bitterness becomes more evident.

Drinkability: one of my favorite DIPAs I very much enjoy Hop Wallop, if you enjoy this, Weyerbacher Double Simcoe IPA, Stone Runination IPA, and Dogfish head 90 Min. IPA are also fantastic examples of the style!

11-09-2007 03:49:03 | More by L4t3rg4t3r
pwoods

4.15/5  rDev +1.2%

Thanks a ton to NJpadreFan for this bottle. Been looking forward to this.

12oz. brown bottle poured into a pint. No dating but it was released within a week.

A: Pours a very, very pale orange. Completely transparent. 1 finger pearl white rocky head that remains a thick skim on the brew. 1 ring of fluffy lacing at the top and a pebble here and there on the way down.

S: Pretty straight forward. Pine-y and citrus hops. A mixture of grapefruit with a tiny zap of lemon. Just a hint of some phenols as it warms a tad.

T/M: Ah, very nice. Not overly bitter but a nice strong wallop, har har. Very citrus-y and tangy. The hops hold strong all the way through to the dry finish and then last and last. Malts show up a little more as the brew warms but hops are definitely the highlight. The body is pretty thin, inviting me back before I know it.

D: This went down so easy I didn't realize I was just about done. A local store has a handful of Victory products... lets hope they can get this in.

11-08-2007 01:10:59 | More by pwoods
prototypic

4.15/5  rDev +1.2%

Appearance: It pours a very hazy golden color. Head is a little off-white and about a finger deep. Retention was good and a nice sticky coat of lace remained.

Smell: Hops are strong and piney. Nicely blended with a sweet citrus scent (grapefruit and maybe some mango). Pretty straight forward.

Taste: Clearly hops are the dominant feature here. They are piney and very bitter. A solid plus for this beer. Some secondary citrus flavors add a sweet factor and a little more bitterness. A hint of malt is noticeable, but it's far from balanced.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: It leans medium bodied. Carbonation is excellent. At 8.5%, it's a strong beer. But, very smooth drinkable for an IPA of its stature. I'd probably limit myself due to its strength. Overall, it's a very good brew and highly recommended.

11-07-2007 03:12:48 | More by prototypic
John_M

Oregon

3.98/5  rDev -2.9%

Nice to see the new Hop Wallop out. Had this on tap at both Mahaffey's and Max's this past weekend.

The beer pours a solid orange copper color, with an enticing creamy white head. The beer has very good head retention and lacing.

The nose on this beer is not very complex, but has what you would expect; quite a bit of soft, citrusy grapefruit. The beer is just lovely on the palate, with the flavors replicating the nose. The beer has some very nice bitterness, but is quite well balanced, with an impressive soft, light mouthfeel. The malt is not overdone on this DIPA, and it finishes fairly dry. The only thing that mars this beauty is a somewhat hard finish, which detracts from its drinkability IMO. I'm thinking that the cask version of this beer might have a better finish, making it more drinkable, but will have to wait for the opportunity.

This is a very well made DIPA, with an abv. that is well disguised. Can't wait to try the cask version!

11-05-2007 15:08:53 | More by John_M
Biscuit033

4.33/5  rDev +5.6%

A: Poured a very clear, dark golden with very thick head and had plenty of lacing.

S: Very hoppy, smells of pine, juicy grapefruit, sweet oranges, and flowers with the grapefruit being quite dominant as I keep going back to it.

T: Grapefruit hits you immediately, you can feel the malts more than taste them but keeps the hops very balanced. I am surprised the alcohol is so nicely woven into the flavor.

M: There is a hoppy stickiness but there is a sweetness that keeps the tartness from overpowering. The carbination is on target. Not much alcohol feel for the strength.

D: You can feel the warmth building. Something that is very drinkable but warns you to slow down.

Serving type: growler

11-05-2007 01:11:37 | More by Biscuit033
stuckonhops

4.13/5  rDev +0.7%

from bottle dated best by- 10/23/2008

A-- very clear amber. Not cloudy at all. Thick white head that recedes fairly slowly.

S-- Intense spicy-hop. Meaning the spice and hops seem to be as one not seperate, they meld. also has a floral hint.

T-- definetly a spicy hop flavor much in sync with the smell pouring from this one. incredible lingering hops that are bitter to the end though not overwhelming.

M-- Very smooth. not even the least bit grainy/gritty. Goes down very easy. Almost to easy.

D-- EXTREMELY easy to drink. Like i stated before 'almost to easy' to drink. Take it easy with this one, it can kick your butt clear across the field with one wallop of a kick

11-03-2007 03:48:14 | More by stuckonhops