Hop Wallop - Victory Brewing Company

Hop WallopHop Wallop

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-17-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Wallop Alström Bros
Beaver13

4.33/5  rDev +5.6%

12 oz bottle. Pours a cloudy golden with a large creamy white head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is sweet doughy malts and pungent resinous piney peppery hops.

The flavor is sweet bready malts and a little citrus followed quickly by a huge hop burst - spicy, piney and resinous with a huge lingering bitterness, but just restrained enough to not be unpleasant. The sweetness helps balance the bitterness just enough. The alcohol is well-hidden and sneaks up on you. The mouthfeel is medium, lightly carbonated and slightly watery.

Overall, an excellent DIPA! A good bang for the buck as well at $11 per 6 pack.

12-04-2006 03:49:12 | More by Beaver13
abcsofbeer

3.85/5  rDev -6.1%

Poured from the bottle with a drink by date of Oct '07. The color is a very pale orange that is very clear. The head is a rocky, white color but pretty thin. However, there is a good amount of sticky lacing.

The aroma is a very strong, hoppy smell with a strong citrus backing. I also detect some pine notes in the aroma that is soaked in citrus oil.

The taste is a bitter leafy one, that is of extreme hoppiness. This may be the hoppiest beer that I have tasted. The mouthfeel is very tart that has a backbite of extreme strength and tanginess.

Overall, this is a good example of the style, but, is at times difficult to swallow.

12-03-2006 02:21:34 | More by abcsofbeer
ngandhi

3.5/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Did they run out of all that deliciously rich malt at the brewery or were they just trying to prove something? I feel like I ate a jar of Vicks. Vicks blended with raw hops wrapped in the pith of a grapefruit marinated in a new liquid form of velcro.

Ow.

12-02-2006 16:01:42 | More by ngandhi
wedge

3.9/5  rDev -4.9%

I've attempted to review this before and have found it a strangely difficult beer to wrap my head around. I can seem like simplistic hop juice one minute, and be a multi-layered treat another.

Luminescent, hazed peach color with a loosely creamy white head - retains as a sticky sheet. Aromas of sweet, juicy citrus, fruits, flowers, humid herbal and spruce...all things hops. Flavor follows up on the smell - big citrus oil acidity, tropical fruit, and pine sap. Sweetness fights with a deeply resinous quality and lemon rind. Bitterness is big and long lasting.

Not for the weak-tongued. This is a good, powerful DIPA, but something keeps it from being truly great and memorable for me. Something doesn't quite sit right. Its raw, pungent hop style needs a substantial malt profile to balance and this is lacking. Up the malt, and this would be a tough one to beat. And yet, I still have a hard time giving the taste anything below a 4. Peculiar. Right on the brink of greatness.

12-01-2006 05:11:27 | More by wedge
Bobikel

4.7/5  rDev +14.6%

(served in a resteraunt - took notes on a napkin)

Appearance - Light golden, good head - nice lacing

Smell - Spicy pine and citrus notes behind a slight sweet malt

Taste - Earthy, spicy, grapefruit, extra dry and bitter. Gave me chills.

Mouthfeel - Thick & effervescently pleasent. A bit to thick for an IPA, though.

Drinkability - I could drink this all night.

Overall - I love bitter. I love beer. I LOVE bitter beer!

12-01-2006 00:33:26 | More by Bobikel
pvsob

4.43/5  rDev +8%

Appearance - Pours a crystal clear gold color with a two-finger head that disappears slowly and leaves outstanding lacing.

Smell - Yowza!! Big-time floral and grapefruit hop aroma. There are some hints of fruit (orange, tangerine, etc...) as well.

Taste - A slight malt sweetness at the beginning, but don't blink because you will miss it. After this hint of malt the rest of the flavor is straight up hops baby. The hops stick around long after the last swallow too. There was little to no alcohol taste noticeable in this brew.

Mouthfeel - Medium and sticky with good carbonation.

Overall - If you're used to a DIPA with more of a malt backbone, I'd look elsewhere. Hop Wallop is a full on assault on your taste buds and it shows no mercy. Beware, because this brew grows on you very quickly and the alcohol may catch up to you. The drinkablilty is only limited by how much hop and alcohol tolerance you have. Well done Victory.

11-30-2006 03:43:32 | More by pvsob
BelgianAleSlut

3.88/5  rDev -5.4%

Poured into a Goose Island IPA glass. Pours golden with a slight foam head. Nice looking although I was expecting a darker color based on alcohol content.

Smells of hops, of course, with a slight grapefruit juice note.

Bitterness hits the tongue immediately and hop flavor changes a bit from sip to swallow. Pushes the limit of acrid. Not much malt flavor here.

I am a hophead and love the smell of hops, the more dry-hopped the better. This beer is for hop addicts - those that eschew malt for feeling giddy from the chemicals in the hop flowers. I would not consider myself a hop addict and prefer a more balanced beer. Victory does make Hop Devil which is more to my liking.

11-30-2006 03:08:09 | More by BelgianAleSlut
assurbanipaul

4.43/5  rDev +8%

Pours a brilliant clear gold with an inch-thick white head. Aroma is bright, juicy, sweet hops: a ton of grapefruit, white grape, mandarin orange. A sheet of lacing follows down the glass.

Taste is very close to the nose but with a light toasty malt base. Citrus of many varieties, floral notes, light resiny pine, even cantaloupe? Light lemony flavor amid a light bready pale malt. There's no trace of alcohol flavors or presence but you feel the warmth by the end of the glass. Finish is very bitter with some caramel sweetness hidden on the back of the throat.

Mouthfeel is light to medium, not quite thin but with a lager-like body. Drinkability is high, nearly quaffable if not for the hop bitterness. This is a fantastic showcase for the hops -- it is bright and exhuberant. It makes me happy.

11-30-2006 02:45:42 | More by assurbanipaul
Blybloke

2.45/5  rDev -40.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Did you ever have to chew an aspirin as a kid? Just wondering...

Pours a pale yellow with less than a finger of white head. Disappointing to say the least. The clarity is nice, but most of the other DIPAs I've tried have a more amber tone to them.

The smell is a somewhat acrid mix of alcohol and citrus - some earthy scents in there too (dirt?). This too was disappointing as I LOVE the nose on most IPAs and DIPAs. Avery's Maharaja, Bell's HopSlam, Tyranena's Hop Whore, DFH 90 Minute and Arcadia's HopMouth all have much more inviting aromas imo.

This stuff tasted like pure aspirin with a thin coating of pineapple. Bitter with little to no balance. Bitter for bitterness sake. I'm a hop lover at heart but this was too much.

Mouthfeel was too thin for the style. Again the pinch of bitterness rears it's head. The carbonation was good though but the overall texture left a lot to be desired.

As far as drinkability, I couldn't have more than one of these at a sitting. It's not a drain pour as there are hints of what makes the style great, but at least for this drinker, there is way too much bitterness to fight through to get to the goods.

Overall a disappointing beer - to each his own I guess.
I'll stick to the Hop Devil and Storm King. Victory will still get my business, but I doubt I'll be purchasing this one again.

11-29-2006 15:25:52 | More by Blybloke
BadBadger

4.33/5  rDev +5.6%

Victory's Hop Wallop is a mighty fine and tasty brew. It pours a cloudy golden color. There is a moderate head which does not last very long at all (I assure you that this will not impinge on your enjoyment). The smell is floral-hoppy, as is the taste: there is a nice bitter twang on the tongue with floral side notes. The mouthfeel is smooth and pleasant. This is a very nice IPA which I highly recommend searching out and enjoying!

11-29-2006 01:08:49 | More by BadBadger
Westsidethreat

4.03/5  rDev -1.7%

A: Vibrant golden rod color. Frankly, looks like a hefe...or perhaps the yolk of an egg. Head is slightly off white and fallen to a small ring.

S: Over the top grapefruit. Huge amounts of lemon rind and hints of white peach.

T: Like the smell lead you to believe, this beer is dominated by the taste of grapefruit; sour, pungent and bitter. Not a lot of malt to use as a backbone, but there is enough so the beer isn't totally off kilt. As the grapefruit subsides, sugary lemondrops develop. Finishes tangy and bitter.

M: Medium body with a hard consistency. I think its fitting though for a beer of this nature.

D: Not the most complex DIPA I've had, but holds enough individuality so that I will actually remember this one. This was an overall nice beer to drink.

11-25-2006 22:15:35 | More by Westsidethreat
plaztikjezuz

pours a bright golden with a thin head that quickly became a thin sheet.
the aroma is flat out a hopsack, citrus, spicy, herbal.
the flavor is malty, hopsack, citrus, herbal, peppery, with a dryish finnish.
this is a good beer, it is mightly hoppy, hence its name. the brew has an interesting texture and a wounderful after taste.

11-23-2006 04:39:07 | More by plaztikjezuz
AaronHomoya

Indiana

12 oz bottle.

Pours a very clear, golden-amber color with lots of tiny bubbles rising up the glass. The head is fairly small, though, and white.

Smell is a great, complex mix of sweet, citrus, grapefruit hoppiness, then a touch of malt, then an almost pine smell with what hit me as a kiwi aroma.

The taste follows with a malt and hop sweetness followed by a bit of pine and then a piney, hoppy bitter finish in the back of the mouth. Also a hint of alcohol flavor.

Mouthfeel was very smooth feeling and seemed fairly thin and light for the ABV.

In the end I really enjoyed this beer, but there was something in the combination of bitter mouth finish and maybe the relatively high ABV that made me feel 12 oz was enough.

11-22-2006 14:53:03 | More by AaronHomoya
goochpunch

3.9/5  rDev -4.9%

Updated 11/15/07

Pours out an orange Otter Pop orange with a wealth of bubbles making their way to the creamy but thinnish head. Leaves lot of lace of tiny bubbles. Big time pine and grass in the nose with a modest citrus. Malt is so far in the background that I'm having trouble making any of it out. Malt comes out a bit more in the taste with some sweet apple flavors and a little bit of a jelly-like flavor as well. Hops are a little on the burnt rubber side, which kind of rubs me the wrong way just a tad, but are overall extremely piney and grassy. Tastes like a fresh-cut lawn. Bitterness hits hard in the finish, and leaves an aspirin flavor lingering. Mouthfeel is a bit viscous, but not really all that heavy. Carbonation massages the tongue vigorously, but I wouldn't exactly call it fizzy. Tasty and impressive beer, but I couldn't session this.

11-22-2006 04:47:43 | More by goochpunch
allengarvin

4.4/5  rDev +7.3%

Pours out a rather limpid pale gold color with a slight head. Nice lacing though. Very nice aroma: all hops, pine-needle-grapefruit smell. Wow, taste is dominated by hop flavor, very spicy (floral, fresh pine... if even makes me think of cumin). Plenty bitter, too. Not very complex: the malt is barely detectable, but boy this is a great beer for the hops. Light bodied, creamy mouthfeel.

Very nice. It doesn't feel like an 8% beer. I could easily put back a few pints of these based on the taste.

11-22-2006 01:50:28 | More by allengarvin
rowew

4.43/5  rDev +8%

Presentation: A cartoony prospector dominates the label. ABV and enjoy by date clearly marked.

Appearance: Hazy bright orange color with a medium head with good retention. Head is bright white.

Smell: Lots of resiny hop aroma - dominated by pine with a bit of grapefuit as well.

Taste: Completely hop dominated. The hops blow away any malt flavor in this one. Starts off bitter, but then the hop flavors come in and take over. Again, lots of sticky pine-like flavors, and a bit of citrus. Finishes just as bitter as it started.

Overall impression: Definitely hop dominated - this one is over the top, and in no way balanced. In other words, fantastic if you are hop head! Glad to see this available in Colorado now!

11-21-2006 23:31:55 | More by rowew
addmorehops

4.28/5  rDev +4.4%

Being a long time fan of VHD (Victory Hop Devil), I had to try this even though I find the label unappealing. Cartoon chars don't belong on memorable quaffs.

Flavor is remarkable if you like hops in your face. Plenty of features and true to Victory style...even though it delivers a hefty 8.5 ABV it has a nice drinkability that dosn't stick to your tongue. I had to invest in a case due to recent move into PA (Pittsburgh). Not regretting it! Hopheads will appreciate the craft.

Another winner from our friends in Downingtown, PA. Thanks Bill and Ron.

11-21-2006 02:34:21 | More by addmorehops
BusyNinja

2.4/5  rDev -41.5%

First of all, let me start out by writing that I AM a hop head. I count as my favorites, Pliny the Elder, Pliny the Younger, and Rogue's Hop Heaven. And let met add, that I almost always love Victory's products. But this one is a major disappointment.
The best thing about this brew is the bottle appearance (the cute little label) and the slightly cloudy golden appearance as it is poured. It's fizzy, but virtually no head retention. This is all hops. While I didn't expect balance, I did not expect a total lack of malt.

11-20-2006 00:35:02 | More by BusyNinja
coldchill

Tennessee

4.2/5  rDev +2.4%

Poured a slightly hazy but lovely golden orange with a nice bright white head. Hop aroma was powerful but not really as strong as I was expecting. The hop bite is excellent. Very bitter with the piney bitterness coming through the strongest. Unlike most extremely hoppy beers there didn't seem to be a great deal of aftertaste. I could drink several of these, not a good thing at 8.5%.

All in all this was a very likeable beer that I will try to get again.

11-19-2006 17:06:46 | More by coldchill
joe1510

4.15/5  rDev +1.2%

12oz. Bottle
$10.99 6-pack
Binny's Orland

I've been keeping an eye out for this and finally found it. Poured a really nice looking clear golden into my pint glass. Only poured a half finger head that faded to a cap. The color makes up for the lack of head.

The smell is filled with layer upon layer of hoppiness. There is a vague sweet maltiness in the background but the hops are all over the place. Theres a bubblegum scent I love followed by honeydew, floral and herbal hops. This is one of the most complex hop aromas I've smelled. I really dig the smell of this stuff. I had to drink 4 of them before I could figure out what it was.

The taste starts off with the same flavors as in the nose. Theres honeydew, a smll amount of bubblegum, and this is all followed by a very solid herbal bitterness in the finish. There's a malt backbone that keeps the hops from running wild but it stays where it should, in the back. This is artfully layered in hoppy bitterness.

It has a solid medium body, which is a nice change of pace from a lot of IIPAs that are syrupy. Moderate carbonation. Does give the tongue a stomping on. Very nicely done.

Drinkability is good. This goes down smooth and easy. Could definately drink these till I couldn't drink anymore if that makes sense.

Hop Wallop really impresses me from the cool little origin on the bottle to the last tongue kicking drop. I like the fact they sell these in 6-packs too considering a lot of IIPAs only come in bombers now a days.

Slainte!

11-19-2006 05:43:21 | More by joe1510
mmcave

4.1/5  rDev 0%

Poured vigorously into a tulip glass, thick white head that dissipates at moderate speed and leaves lovely sticky lacing. The body is a musty yellow, orange with blonde highlights. The sent is familiar, yet odd, lots of fresh citrus( grapefruit, lemon, orange peal, lots or rinds) and hop funk a little more sharp and thin then I’d prefer, but still pleasing. The malt is present and helpful, but something seems a shade unbalanced or off to me, it’s possible the hop choice is not quite what I’d want. As it worms up it even has wine like smells or Welch’s grape juice. The taste is fresh with definite hop bitterness a shade too unbalanced for me, but still very refreshing and tasty. It could also possibly be that the malt is not up too the same task that I look for in my Imp. IPA. I’m even thinking they might have used some pilsner malt, I’m not sure but something is very different from my other experiences with Imp. IPA. The mouth feel like I said is refreshing and bitter. Honestly for me this is an a-typical Imp. IPA, for me this is more a summer drink. Its worth a try, but be warned.

11-18-2006 20:46:27 | More by mmcave
MaltyGoodness

4.4/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

12oz. bottle - 2006 Edition

Pours a clear golden color with a thick white head that thins. Thick lacing on the glass.

Aroma is an olfactory delight full of citrusy hops. Smells like layers upon layers of a fantastic citrus hop blend, with just the slightest hint of malt in the background.

Rich citrus hop flavor, with a variety of hops that are well blended with a nice bitter bite. There is a tiny bit of malt flavor present, just enough to hold back the bitterness and add a slight amount of balance. Finishes dry with a lingering hoppiness.

Full body, solid carbonation.

Another good year for the Wallop. The ABV is the only thing that holds this one back from drinking more than one or 2 at a time. This year seems to be just a bit better than last, and can hold it's own with any DIPA in the country.

11-15-2006 02:59:35 | More by MaltyGoodness
Gasp100

Delaware

3.98/5  rDev -2.9%

Forgive me, i'm writing this on my handheld.
A - incredibly clear pale golden color. Looks no darker than Miller or Bud but we all know there is a universe of difference once we taste this... still, as a new all grain homebrewer I'm amazed at the clarity.
S - sharp and distinct piney, resinous, citrus, lemony hop scents abound.
T - lip smacking tart hop bitterness slowly glides across the palette. This is very bitter with grapefruit, orange peel rinds, lemon, lime and little if any malt body or caramel sweetness to coincide. But, i like it - definitely not as cloying as say Stone 10th IPA but I wish this had just a little more body to it.
M - highly carbed assault with tight, strict, even lacing with makes this brew really pop.
D - The alcohol is well hidden, but the sharpness and heavy twang from the hops keep this from ever being sessionable... which is good because it's a DIPA afterall. Someone posted they had Wallop every year including 03 - I think they stuck one extra year in there, but needless to say this is not close to the very first release. But, it's pretty damn good and well worth the money for a seasonal. Maybe I'll cellar some this year.

11-15-2006 01:20:08 | More by Gasp100
Wren

4.13/5  rDev +0.7%

12 oz bottle that is probably about 3 weeks old - served in a standard pint glass

Appearance was pale and bight golden/straw yellow, not the orange amber I was expecting for an 8.5 beer
Fantastic head of course, foamed up two inches, bright white, lasted 3/4 of the glass and contibuters the most to this beer having a great appearance, carbonation slightly heavy which works well with the hops and ABV

The smell was complex - some grapefruit, piney/lemon aromas, but also notes of spicey noble hop character
difficult to pin down hop variety from the nose, but the smell alone invites you to take a long slow sip

Taste started out as a nice balance between citrius hop and light malt character wtih a note of alcholo tying them together
thin mouthfeel then gives way to growing hop flavour and big bitter bite that lasts long after your last sip

It took me 1 hour to drain my glass - the big bitter character in the finish of this beer had me taking small sip and enjoying bitter aftertaste, definetly not a session beer for me, but certainly worth a try

11-13-2006 14:48:36 | More by Wren
strangefate

4.43/5  rDev +8%

(Almost brand new bottle, Oct 06, dated "Enjoy by Oct 23 07")

Hop explosion. Wow.
I was surprised how light the color of this beer was when I poured it. It's a very transparent golden blonde that doesn't look like any other IPA I've seen. Looking at it from the top down after drinking a bit of it, it kind of looks something like a Witbier. I do wish the head retention was a little better, and that the head was a little thicker, but it does leave a nice lacing. There's no question upon smelling this that it's a Double IPA, and the plethora of hops make this a very strong fruity smell.

When this first hit my tongue, I was surprised. Yeah, the name is Hop Wallop, but wow is it a wallop. It's a great surprise though, and it's something that you want to keep drinking because of it -- kind of a "wow is that hoppy, let me taste it again" kind of thing. And before you know it half the beer is gone. It has citrusy undertones with a seriously bitter, piney bite. You can feel this hoppiness all over your tongue, and it's great.

It's kind of a high alcohol content, but you're easy to get lost in the complexity of the taste without realizing it. You can probably put away a few of these.

11-11-2006 04:52:15 | More by strangefate