Hop Wallop - Victory Brewing Company

Hop WallopHop Wallop

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-17-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Wallop Alström Bros
3.28/5  rDev -20%

Pours a slightly cloudy pale golden color. A thick white head fizzles out, but still leaves GREAT lace.
Kind of a sweet earthy aroma. I don't know quite what it is but something smells a little akward.
A malty backbone and an ambush of different hops. Somehow it balances itself out. It's kind of a strange but, ok flavor. I'd love to know the hop profile on this beer.
Light to medium bodied. Moderately carbonated. A creamy mouthfeel balances nicely with the hops on the palate.
Is an okay brew that I'd sure like to try again, but in the meantime there was just something akward about the taste and aroma that I couldn't quite pinpoint.

BeerRun13, May 17, 2006
4.53/5  rDev +10.5%

I love the label on this bottle. The jolly old prospector looks like a Popeye character. And "wallop" is one of my favorite words to use....

Freshness? "Enjoy by Nov 09 06"

Pours a cloudy shade of peach, with a sticky, thick head of white. I don't even have to tell you what it smells like, do I?

The taste is what surprises me most: I don't just taste hops. It's an almost perfect balance of hoppiness and maltiness. I noticed it was especially viscous during the pour. There's an iota of sticky sweetness in there, which I appreciate. And it's not too carbonated, which adds to the drinkability.

I do not consider myself a hophead, and I am very pleased to say the least. Good show, Victory!

edskirk3, May 16, 2006
4.13/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Stone IPA glass. Hazy golden yellow appearance with sticky 1-finger foam.

I have a hard time comparing some of the IPAs or DIPAs because most of the smell and taste is hops. This one is world class, very similar to Stone IPA or Alesmith IPA in aroma, flavor, and texture.

It's very good but Stone is cheaper. So Stone's my pick.

TurdFurgison, May 14, 2006
4.78/5  rDev +16.6%

An aggressive pour of this crystal clear golden beer yielded an inch tall frothy head that quickly diminished. The smell is rich, resiny, and very raw and hoppy. It's almost like I imagine a beer would smell if I dry hopped it right before I drank it. The taste is amazing! Very bitter, but balanced between the maltiness and the sweet piney flavors and aromas of hops. It's a tongue-coater for sure --heavy, oily, and chewy.

A keeper. Those who aren't overly enthusiastic about hops need not apply. And yes, despite its strong flavors, I could drink several of these on a warm spring evening, at least until my tongue went numb.

copasetic, May 10, 2006
4.13/5  rDev +0.7%

Thanks to bkett01 for the trade.

Poured into an Imperial Pint. Has the appearance of a hefeweizen - light, golden, and somewhat hazy. An off-white head sits on top at about 1 1/2 inches. Keeps its composure for awhile. A gentle citrusy hop aroma. The taste of grapefruit comes to mind first - bitter, but rounded out by the malt. Very drinkable despite the high ABV and rather thin - not in a bad way though. I would definitely try this one again.

jhammerly, May 09, 2006
3.93/5  rDev -4.1%

Aquired in a trade from Riggsy. Thanks!! "Enjoy by Oct 18, 06" is stamped on the label.

Pours a really pale golden - a bit of a surprise for an 8.5% brew. Nice tight head.

Smells like sour hops, with some citrus and pine mixed in.

Taste - extremely bitter hops, with green grassy notes. Some floral and citrus as well, and it feels pretty light for a IIPA. I think tangy is a good word here, but it has some malt behind it - not much, but juuuust enough to take the edge off the hops. Goes down really easy - almost TOO easy. ABV is well hidden.

Feels a bit thin in mouthfeel, but this is a pretty good beer. I wouldnt put it in the same class as Dreadnaught, 90minute, etc, but its a good, lighter DIPA that doesnt get too sweet or sticky once it warms up.

A good DIPA, but not world class. Enjoyable, nonetheless.

wingnutter, May 05, 2006
4.05/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A: The beer is a slightly cloudy gold color with a white head that fades quickly and leaves a decent lace.

S: Heavy hops smell with some citrus & malt sweetness and bit of alcohol.

T: Strong, bitter hops bite hits you right away (hence the name) and certainly doesnít taste as sweet as it smells. It leaves a bitter hops after-taste, but itís not as strong as you would think.

M: Very crisp and smooth as well, with a medium body, medium carbonation and a clean finish.

D: This is a drinkable beer, especially if youíre into the hops bitterness. The alcohol is hidden pretty well without using sweetness to do it and it's not very filling. Itís just not quite as balanced as I would prefer.

TheManiacalOne, Apr 30, 2006
4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

First, let me start by saying I wish this was a year round offering. It pours a pale yellow...very light for a DIPA. Has about an inch of bright white head that leaves nice lacing all the way down my glass. Nose full of hops. Pine with some grapefruit also. Taste just like it smells. Hops hit you in the mouth. Piney for the most part with a bitter citrusy finish. Very smooth and almost full bodied for such a light colored brew. One of my favorites...could drink this untill it runs out.

Imstillthegman, Apr 27, 2006
3.68/5  rDev -10.2%

12 oz bottle serving. Enjoy by Oct 11 06.

Color is light for a DIPA, straw yellow to light amber. Solid 2 fingers of intensely foamed head. Monster lace.

Nose is spicy citrus. I'm not sure what it is, but there is a very unusual and distinct dominant trait here. I can't identify it.

Flavor is hops and more hops. What has me scratching my head is what KIND of hops. It's certainly not the usual citrus or piney suspects. Unusual and unique, that is for sure. Malt is present in a good way, but not quite enough to balance out the hops. What else can you expect from a brew called Hop Wallop?

Mouthfeel is slightly thick and even a little syrupy. Moderate to high carbonation.

Drinkability is OK. I bought a sixer of these last fall at release. This is the last one, if that means anything to you.

ghostwalker, Apr 13, 2006
4.9/5  rDev +19.5%

The first time I had this, I didn't really care for it... and I still drank the full sixer. That should tell you a bit (either about the beer, or my unwillingness to give away beer I don't like).
That being said, I decided to be a bit more objective. I love this style, and wanted to give this beer a fair shake. After all, how many bad beers have you ever heard of coming from Victory?
Poured a nice clear honey color into my pint glass. Nice 1 inch head that quickly disappeared, but left a good sticky lacing down the side of my glass.
The six-pak holder claims this to be "A very hoppy beer" with contents of "hops, hops, and more hops". One sniff into my glass, and the miner guy was smacking my in the face saying "I told you sonny!" Very hoppy beer... no shite. I got nothing but hops from the aroma.
Let's try tasting this again... high puckering bitterness and hop flavor. Almost like drinking diluted grapefruit juice. Slightly piney (actually more like spruce). The first time I tried this was like drinking spruce sap (and I have). Luckily, this time that taste was not present so much. I enjoy a good hop-alicious beer every now and then. I wish this were a year round offering. I wondered if they used any malts at all, then midglass, the hops settled down, and I got a little malt and pseudo honey backdrop to the hop craziness. Does the label really say 8.5% ABV?, because I can't taste it at all.
Carbonation was perhaps a bit understated. I found no alcohol in either the flavor or mouthfeel. That's dangerous for this beer, especially if you enjoy an in your face hop bomb such as this. Must... force... myself... not... to... drink... entire... six... pack...at... once. The only thing I could recommend to a hophead that would be close it to actually chew on an ounce of hops... like Chinook .

santanas95, Apr 12, 2006
3.88/5  rDev -5.4%

Old miner guy = wallop? I don't get it. Pours out a sandy blond. Hazy with good foam at the pour but quickly hides to the side of the glass. Good lacing.

The smell is grainy with stronger notes of pilsner and basic malt notes. A very sweet grain feeling. Good piney and citrus aromas that are well present. A nice non-phenolic smell or big beer essence.

The taste is sweet and high bitterness. The malt to is sweet with a grainy taste and play second to the hops. The malt overall doesn't really support the hop flavor too much. The hops are big up front with a tart and piney hop flavor. A tangerine with more of a bite. There isn't much of a finish per the hops side.

Overall this isn't a big flavor for a IIPA but still easy to drink. A smooth and somewhat dry finish. Decent carbonation and very easy on the palate. I suppose that even old miners need something to drink.

Oxymoron, Apr 08, 2006
3.95/5  rDev -3.7%

I love Victory's beers and I love hops, so when I saw their "Hop Wallop" sitting at my favorite beer shop (Brawley's in Charlotte) it was pretty much an assured purchase.

Hop Wallop is beautiful bubbly golden nectar with a fluffy cream head. The head lingers a long while, and leaves some mad lacing down the sides of my glass. Awesome.

Put your nose to the glass and you're assaulted with hops. Hops hops hoppity hop hops. Fresh, piney, sweet, grapefruit smelling hops! Did you expect anything else? The Victory website says Wallop is made with "American whole flower" hops which isn't very enlightening. Pity, I'm curious to know what's in here.

Taste is what you'd expect - hops and lots of 'em! In fact there's very little else discernible in this beer APART from hops. Perhaps some yeast and honey flavor... but mostly the piney, bitter, oily hop goodness. The 8.5% is quite hidden behind the cascade of hop flavor. This is a rather bitter beer, so be warned. Put simply, "Wallop" is a most appropriate name

Hop Wallop warms the tongue and stomach and leaves behind a fine dry hop bitterness as it slides down your gullet. Just really tasty stuff -- if you like hops.

I personally enjoyed this beer, but it's almost too much. Not the type of thing I'd drink on a regular basis, and certainly not a session beer for me.
If you, like I, have times when you get a craving for hops, this certainly satisfies.

If you like hops en masse, you'll love Hop Wallop.

kkipple, Apr 04, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +5.6%

Bottle Pours a hazy yellow with a creamy white head. Head is mostly lasting and produces good lacing. Has a good hoppy aroma of pine ans spruce. Has a good smooth taste. Nice hops and a little spicy. A good amount of carbination. A nice duration with a solid finish. Good bitter aftertaste. I had some worries that some of these were infected. Mine was fine and excellent. I like the hoppiness, just a touch turned down from the Hop Devil. Very Tasty.

Birdiebeagle, Mar 28, 2006
4.03/5  rDev -1.7%

Poured a somewhat hazy light gold color with a white head that didn't last very long.

Aroma is slightly fruity with a pretty good amount of pine in there. Nice hop aroma.

Flavor is pretty much mostly hops, more pine and a hint of fruit. Lingering very bitter finish, but in a really good way.

Mouthfeel is quite full with a moderately prickly carbonation.

Overall, pretty tasty. I could drink more of these.

stodbrew, Mar 27, 2006

This was poured from a 12 oz. bottle leaving a 2 inch head at first then settling into an inch, than 1/2 inch by halfway down and leaving a thick lacing all the way. Color was a hazy yellow (more yellow than the typical orange of IPA's ). Aroma- PINEY !! and citrus- that could by detected with glass at arm's length! No hint of malt , but then, none was really expected from this. Taste- a big, big, wonderfully bitter hop bite of pine and citrus (grapefruit) !! The malt was hardly there, but there enough to support the massively and wonderfully bitter finish of more pine and citrus !! Mouthfeel was smooth and full. Drinkability- this is excellent, and will be enjoyed as often as possible.

ultralarry2006, Mar 26, 2006
3.6/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is another outstanding beer from the gang at Victory Brewing Co.
The head is a creamy one, white and tightly laced. However dissipates after about two minutes. Leaves a wonderfully symetrical lacing in the glass The attn. is brilliant, pouring a deep golden straw which seemed a bit light for the style, but the lighting here is a too flourescent.
The nose on this brew is incredible. The hops give off a perfumey aroma of apricot, pear, spiced apple, and some herbal tone as well. All this is backed by hints of buscuity and sweet malts.
The mouth is highly supportive. A moderate carbonation structure carries the bitters over every segment of the mouth. At first a swett light honey and malty tast then BIG bitters from teh hops. The after taste is long and lingering with bitter and herbal essences.

marinobrew, Mar 25, 2006
3.98/5  rDev -2.9%

Best before date is Oct 29, 06.

A - Pours a hazy straw yellow with a creamy white head that sticks around. Leaves nice lacing as I'm drinking...

S - Earthy and piny hops. Almost a little citrusy also. Some sweet candy smelling maltiness in the back. The smell is not over the top but borederline. I could really smell the hops in it.

T - Funny thing is I thought this was an APA before I started drinking. As I drank it knew it was an IPA, especially after I looked at the ABV. As I made it 1/2 way through the glass I was thinking this was on ultra hopped IPA. Not over the top hops as Stone Ruination but it's got a good kick. I had IPA in my head the entire time so it didn't seem to overly bitter for my tastes as DIPA's generally are. But don't get me wrong - it's bitter. I was just thinking this must be on the high end of an IPA.

M - Smooth up front with moderate carbonation. A slightly tart and very crisp finish from all the hops. Dry at the end but still good.

D - Not bad for a DIPA. May not satisfy the ultra hop heads out there (I've never considered myself a HOP head) but it's got enough bite to satisfy most everyone else looking to try a DIPA. I picked this up while I was in Portland and I wish I would have grabbed more.

Rezzin, Mar 22, 2006
4.35/5  rDev +6.1%

Well, the beer pours looking like an American Wheat beer. Ahhhh, but the smell and the taste . . . hops, hops and more hops. Amarillo, I believe. At least, it has some of the noble qualities. Oh man, I can feel my mouth drying out and becoming a giant ball of cotton while I drink this. It's been a long time since that happened to me.
Oh man, the malt isn't even on the radar with this baby. Truly an unbalanced beer, but I was looking for crazy hops and boy did it deliver. Yet, suprisingly, it managed to do this without becoming hop mouthwash. Sane, in its unbalance.

Oh man, thanks for the chance to try this one Beerninja!

shbobdb, Mar 22, 2006
2.88/5  rDev -29.8%

Yellowish orange beer pours with a very thick and sticky white head. Tiny bit of haze and a light/steady rising of carbonation. An interesting nose. Noble hops if I had to guess. Grassy/earthy/and a bit like a pilsner. Tastes very hoppy over the top. Somehow I pick up spearmint above everything else. Weird. The earthy hop smell comes across as an initial taste that is overcome by the minty/menthol like flavor. The hops aren't so bitter to kill me, but I do like bitter beer. Just a one trick pony with this weird mint thing going on. A very thick beer. If it wasn't for this minty thing driving me crazy it might be better, but not terribly impressed here.

*note: the minty flavor decreases as the beer warms up. So edge on the side of tastiness and serve it warmer than cold.

cracgor, Mar 15, 2006
3.88/5  rDev -5.4%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle, freshness dating states best before Sep of 06.

A - very much not what I was expecting. Pale straw yellow, some chill haze as well. Clears as it warms. Bright, bright white head stays around around the whole way, a full pillow of little bubbles. Excellent lacing. Looks a lot more like a wheat beer or wit than an IPA. Pilsner malt?

S - assertive hop aroma of pine, citrus, orange peel. Some malt in there as well, though. Toasty, sweet malt. Alcohol in the nose as well.

T - tart, citrusy, piney hop flavor predominates, but I think there is a malt backbone here. Some malt sweetness in the aftertaste. But also very, very dry hops. Tangy. Like chewing on a fresh grapefruit and pine cone. Peppery.

M - very smooth, almost oily mouthfeel. Very unique and pleasant. Head implies moderate to high carbonation, but quite the contrary. No tickling carbonation on the tongue, very smooth.

D - a good example of fresh American IPA. Would like more balance of malt, however. Tasty brew, though, and I would never turn it down.

gbarron, Mar 15, 2006
3.65/5  rDev -11%

Many thanks to WarriorSoul for the bottle!

?Hoppiness is Happiness.? Couldn?t have said it better. 12 oz bottle in to my trusty Stone pint glass. Pours a very clear yellowish with just a hint of orange. An absolute flurry of bubbles rushing up from the bottom of the glass. Not much of head, despite this fact. I think I may have messed up on the pour, however.

Nose is fruity and hoppy, with just a hint of pine.

Very fruity upfront. . .hints of apricot and pineapple finishing with a strong pine flavor. Not much malt detected, but I?m totally okay with that. I just glanced at the ABV, expecting it to be around 5 or 6, as I tasted no alcohol on the way down. 8.5% ABV!!! This is very well masked by the hops, however. The hop profile is unlike any other I?ve ever experienced. . .I keep coming back to piney pineapple to describe it. . .it?s very tasty, very fruity, and insidiously drinkable.

WaffleSauce, Mar 13, 2006
3.93/5  rDev -4.1%

I am not a hop head so this beer is honestly a bit too much for me. That said, I did really enjoy it but I could hardly call it highly drinkable. One of these just totally wrecked my palate. No more reviewing tonight; but it was an enjoyable wreckage. I just don't need another one. Well, here?s the breakdown:

I let this one warm up fro a while before opening to maximize the smoothness. Then served it in my snifter glass.

Appearance: A golden orange color this beer is translucent but not transparent. Active carbonation at the beginning but it died mid way through the beer. It had a creamy white head with decent retention and an adequate amount of lacing. the frothy cap did last the duration of the beer. Very nice appearance.

Smell: This beer is very hoppy but it is not cloyingly pine in the smell or taste. I am not a fan of the eating Christmas tree pine flavor. Not to fear this hop character is more citrusy with a bit of grass than it is pine. The aroma to me was like lemon and grapefruit. Very full poignant aroma. Good!

Taste: Again the taste does get a bit green but not overwhelmingly so. It is more of a citrus grapefruit and granny smith apples type of tart. There is a malt backbone that give the beer some more depth but the malt base does get a bit thin approaching the finish the hop character takes over. A lingering tartness makes this a lip-smacking aftertaste. The aftertaste does come back around though to drop off some more sweet. It is evident there was plenty of sugar in this lemonade :) so to speak.

Mouthfeel: Medium body. Mildly carbonated, mostly it was prickly due to the sharp hops the felt like active needles on my tastebuds.

Drinkability: How can I comment. I did finish one. And it was good, but I sure as hell don't want another one. It is a double IPA and you hop heads will love it. There is no way you want to drink it all night (at least not me). I am glad to have had one and one is enough, so I'll give it a 3.0 and hope this explanation makes sense.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

----
[EDIT] as my hop palate has grown, so has my apreciation for this beer.
----

Phatz, Mar 10, 2006
4.28/5  rDev +4.4%

I found this to be an excellent IIPA. It had a nice orangey gold appearance, which was slightly hazy. There were hints of grapefruit in the aroma & palate. Strong bouquet & very bitter, clan finish. I thoroughly enjoyed this beer. Although very strong & bitter, I did not find it too overpowering. I would suggest it to other fans of strong IPA's.

JMD71, Mar 06, 2006
2.88/5  rDev -29.8%

Well this is the first beer I've had in a quite a while...but that?s beside the point. Since I?m eating Mac and cheese (the cheap kind, in fact it?s expired) like a homeless f-ck I decided to treat myself to one of the beers I have stashed away.

Bottle is stamped Enjoy by Nov 09 06.

Poured into a 20oz pint glass it is a cloudy yellow with a thin pure white head which laces the glass. The head will shrink but still leaves a good looking blanket effect to the beer.

The Smell is powerful of grapefruit like a musty grapefruit if you can imagine what a musty grapefruit smells like... there is also a hint of pine in the smell.

Taste is much like the smell a powerful hop blast with a grapefruit like bite. The 8.5% can not be seen anywhere in the brew even after I let it warm up a bit.

Mouthfeel is rather oily with a even carbonation feel.

Drinkability is well all right. The oily feel is not my thing and the 8.5% snuck up on me like a panhandler asking for change.

All in all the brews not bad. In my opinion the hop devil is a better choice with a crisp feel. But this is still worth a shot.
Go ahead get one and tell em' Luca Sent ya.

LucaBrasi, Mar 04, 2006
4.38/5  rDev +6.8%

Presentation - 12 oz. bottle, served chilled. Poured a striking pale gold color with a 1" thick head.

Smell - Strong grapefruit/citrus aroma with floral notes, and a slight sweetness for balance.

Mouthfeel - Body is surprisingly thick, with the hop oils making their presence felt.

Taste - Wow! Not surprisingly, the hops dominate the flavor early on. There is a strong and acidic grapefruit flavor, followed by a hit of malt sweetness. The malts play a more prominent role as the beer warms, but never enough to overpower the hop profile. If balanced and DIPA can be said in the same sentence, I would say it for this beer.

Drinkability - Only the bottle label and the glazed look in my eyes reveal the 8.5% ABV. The bold taste dictates this to be a sipping beer even though there is hardly a trace of alcohol flavor even when the beer warms.

Overall - Kudos to Victory! They are known for some innovative brews, and this is easily one of the best DIPA's I have ever tasted. Do not pass this one up if you like hops.

jhollick, Mar 03, 2006