1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Hop Wallop - Victory Brewing Company

Hop WallopHop Wallop

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-17-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Wallop Alström Bros
4.75/5  rDev +15.9%

Recently tried just a bottle and had to run out to a store near my house to get more. So sad to see this is a seasonal, but will buy as much of it as I can fit in my fridge. Smells fresh, with citrus and coriander; pours clear and "mildly amber". Tastes even fresher than it smells with floral blossoms from start to finish. The finish, by the way lingers just a little...could be more. All in all, one of my new favorite IPA's. Not as overly hoppy as some other double IPA's out there. Also, doesn't feel like 8.5% so watch out.

MattBrooks, Nov 23, 2005
4.25/5  rDev +3.7%

Pours a cloudy pale orange color with a modest head. Generous stream of bubbles from the bottom belies the carbonation.

Smells of fresh hops... almost sweet to the nose. Grassy and outdoorsy. Nice, but subtle... not as 'in your face' as alot of DIPAs I've had the pleasure of tasting.

Huge citrus flavour is beaten back by the hops. Very grassy... very nice. Once again, doesn't seem quite as pungent as many DIPAs, which I'm not sure I like... then again, it certainly enhances the drinkability.

Crisp and lively on the tongue. Moderate mouthfeel in terms of thickness... quite nice.... just right.

The overall drinkability of this brew is superb... in-line with that of DFH 90min, which I think is a stupendous brew. That being said, given my choice, I would take the 90min over this brew any day (something that pains me to say considering my love for Victory and their brews).
However, if given the opportunity to give this beer a try, it is definitely worth the $9 for a 6er.

nickss, Nov 20, 2005
4.18/5  rDev +2%

Pint at Mad Mex. This beer is a dark gold with a nice big head that leaves excellent lacing. Smell is all hops- citrusy and piney. Taste is powerful hops- very bitter and citrusy. Quite delicious but there could be a litte more hop complexity here- the bitterness hits really hard and fast here and is obscuring some other flavors I think. There is some malt here but not enough to keep the hops in check which is perfectly fine for a double IPA. Mouthfeel is a very nice medium body feels quite nice in the mouth. Pretty drinkable for the style. A very nice beer overall.

burnstar, Nov 20, 2005
4.13/5  rDev +0.7%

Pours a deep gold with a fluffy two finger head atop that settles nicely leaving a sheet of lace behind,big brassy hop in the aroma and quite herbal that really sticks out a touch of pineapple is there but the pine is the most noticable here.Well if you like hops this is it for you,herbal and piney with a nice underlying citrus zest a lightly sweet malt backbone appears but is small compared to the big hops.Wow the alcohol is prevalent here mainly in the finish quite zippy and stronger as the beer warms.A big flavorful IPA in your face the alcohol keeps me from wanting to drink much though.

oberon, Nov 20, 2005
4.58/5  rDev +11.7%

2005 batch. A year later, after many more beers drank, I think I "get" this beer. It's definately a different approach to hopping than a lot of the double monster IPAs have, and I like that and can appreciate it now. It's more of a resiny, juicy, oliy soaked hop, with a lot of bitterness in the finish but not right up front. So much hop that it actually starts to take on a fruity characteristic like apples, or oranges, and that more usual grapefruit bite. Dry though at the same time. One thing I can't get over though is the color. It's amazingly light! You'd think a beer like this would have a much more robust amber color, but this one is straight up straw and crystal clear. Excellent lacing as I noted in last year's review. Snow-flakey. Smoothest mouthfeel of an IPA I've come across. Way too drinkable. I think I may try to stash a few of these away for the summer, as I think it'd be excellent in warm weather due to it's light body and refreshing taste. At the same time, it's robust and hoppy enough to be a winter seasonal, which it is. Awesome brew.

twelvsies, Nov 17, 2005
4.13/5  rDev +0.7%

12oz with an illegible Enjoy by date of Oct-29-??, poured into a pint glass.

Clear gold with a small head of white that after a few minutes settles to a thin layer of foam with wispy lace. Almost looks...macro.

The smell is all sweetend grapefruit. The little extra sweetness might be from the malts, but my nose is telling me to get ready for a hop assault!

The taste follows along the same lines, but the hop profile is not overbearing. It all but conceals the biscuit like malts. Again, juicy, sweetend grapefruit is what's going on. This is a real DIPA and not some poorly disguised BW. Lingering fruity hop goodness in the after taste.

For style, the mouth is a bit light. More carbonation might help this out. A fun beer, I could keep drinking this until I got too buzzed.

ypsifly, Nov 17, 2005
4.58/5  rDev +11.7%

This is a wonderful golden colored beer with a tall white head of foam that laces well.
It is quite aromatic with a great blend of citrus and pine.
The flavor is just as it smells, hopy. Citrus and pine all the way, with a mild malt character hidden in there just to balance things out a bit.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied and nicely carbonated. Nice and crisp on the tongue.

This is a great seasonal from Victory.

Naes, Nov 16, 2005
4.33/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I have never experienced a numerical anomaly such as this is while rating beer. This beer pours very uncharismatically, with virtually no head and no lacing. I didn't realize it was a DIPA until I started this review. Notes of tremendous pine and citrus emanate, there is a grainy smell as well. Hops abound in this one. Not so overpowering as some DIPA's can be, more like extremely hoppy Pale Ale.

I bought this at a pretty high volume package store and this was not there a week ago, so I am imagining it as being fresh. It comes across in the mouth as being a little stale, but at the same time, easily consumed.

FLAbeergutinMASS, Nov 16, 2005

The name pretty much says it all. I was trying to explain to someone that this tasted like "hop juice" and he thought I said "hobtuse" or "hoptuse".
All of these apply.
Big hoppyness going on here. Hopheads, belly up to the bar. Pretty thick on the palate, unbalanced maybe, but definately has an appeal.
Nearly palate ruining. If tasting among other brews, save this one for towards the end. Everything else will taste like water in comparison.
Victory's Hop Devil is probably a better made thing, but given a choice between the two I think I'd usually pick this one.

ommegangpbr, Nov 15, 2005
4.33/5  rDev +5.6%

2005 release

Pours a deep gold with a large, dense white head of mixed sized bubbles. Lots of carbonation racing to the top. Nice lacing. The smell is all big fruity, piney, sprucy hops. Hops, hops, hops! A fantastic bouquet. Big hops up front, in the middle, and in the finish. The mouthfeel is almost silky smooth, punctuated by a resinous hop finish. This is a hop monster and quite drinkable. It will make enjoying a delicate pilsner impossible later in the night, but proves to be a hop lover's dream. This is much better than last year's version.

hopsaplenty, Nov 11, 2005
3.93/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a slightly hazy medium gold with a small frothy, white head that has good retention. Average lacing. The smell is so good! Such amazing pungent, fresh hops aromas with just enough malt presence to round it out but let the hops hog up the limelight. Resin, pine, citrus, light bread, a little caramel and hints of nuts and grass. The taste is good, but not nearly as impressive as the aroma led me to believe it would be. Quite bitter and out of balance. But a nice finish, long with lasting flavors of lemon rind and resin. It has a medium body, dry texture and soft carbonation. I guess I’ve grown to expect a lot from Victory, and I don’t think this one quite lived to my expectations. But then again I expect the best from them. I definitely enjoyed it, but I still have some Stoudts Double IPA in my fridge that I’d choose over this beer in a heartbeat.

ski271, Nov 10, 2005
3.88/5  rDev -5.4%

Pours a clear golden straw like color. Leaves a bit of lace down the glass.

Smells like HOPS! They dont lie when they say its brewed with hops, hops, and...hops. Also notes of citrus and pine.

Taste is solid and balanced. I was expecting much more of a "wallop" but I am pleasantly suprised. A nice bite of hops and bitterness followed by a nice malty bread taste with a little bit of citrus.

First time trying this wonderful seasonal from victory. I will certainly head out for more.

drumstik, Nov 09, 2005
4.43/5  rDev +8%

'05 offering...ah, it's that time year again.
A golden color with a full finger of bright white head...disappears quite rapidly w/ just a fine coating remaining...very little lace.
Fabulous in the nose...grapefruit, citrus, skunk buds and an earthy character.
The taste is great...so fresh with a boatload of bitter grapefruit hops up front, a sweet maltiness in between and a marmalade like finish....alcohol very well hidden.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied and the carbonation is perfect.
For a double, this is one of the most drinkable IIPA's out there...go and seek this one before it is gone from the shelves.

warriorsoul, Nov 09, 2005
3.7/5  rDev -9.8%

12oz single, secured from CRJMellor, 2004 edition

appearance: really is a remarkable looking beer, a beautiful juicy orange color that is incredibly cloudy, nice white rim and lacing

smell: pretty malty, sweet and fruity, bready, definite hop presence that has likely subdued over the year, some nice tropical fruit in the nose

taste: sweet malts, caramel, grapefruit bitterness, citrus hops, definately some tropical fruit, mango, defined alcohol presence. A pretty tast DIPA, would love to try the 2005 version

mouthfeel: bitter, thick and bready, alcohol warm

drinkability: one at a time!

dirtylou, Nov 07, 2005
2.15/5  rDev -47.6%

I am a Hophead. That said I thought this 2005 release at Grey Lodge was disappointing. Maybe I was kidding myself since this is an Imperial IPA. I thought I'd give this one another chance since the only other encounter was with an expired bottle.

It was so offensive to my taste buds that I didn't even finish it. Even in light of the fact that the beer came with the purchase of a pint glass & t-shirt. I found it was eating my stomach up. I do not have a weak gut.

It was all hops and nothing else. It didn't even pour a nice head. Wallops your senses so that all you can detect are hops. It is so harsh I could not even tell what type of hops. It was simply caustic!

I'll take a Alpha King or Tuppers anyday over this loser from Victory.

These guys are much more capable than this!

carlosd74, Nov 06, 2005
4.45/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I had this on tap at UJ's on the Manatawny. It came in a pint glass.

Arrives a slightly hazy gold with a tangerine tint. Not much of a white cap sits on top, but it lingers there for most of the drink, with decent lacing.

Aroma is really fruity and hoppy, with notes of tropical fruits like mangos and papaya, grapefruit and lemons. Thick, sweet, bready malts, great smells.

The first flavor is unmistakeably mangos, very fruity and estery, followed by juicy citrus hop flavors like grapefruit and lemons, and a bit of pine in the back. There is a good deal of residual sweetness, but there's plenty of hop bitterness to balance. The malt character is big and chewy, and the ABV is very well hidden. Aftertaste is long and bitter and sweet. Fantastic!

Mouthfeel is full bodied, with a soft to medium carbonation. Lips stick together from sweetness. Great burps. Finish is sweet, with a big grab at your throat from bitterness.

This is a very nice DIPA. Really fruity, hoppy, malty, and just scrumptious. Alcohol is almost undetectable. Deceptively strong, and addictingly delicious.

jakester, Nov 06, 2005
4.63/5  rDev +12.9%

Bottle with very clear best by date.

Fairly pale straw kind of gold. A little more pale than I had imagined it would be on the first pour. Moderate head, not very fluffy, but many different sized bubbles, and little islands have hung around through the first half of the glass pretty well.

Smell is WONDERFUL, enchanting hop hit backed very well by yeasty notes, and also a very very nice fruity thing, like raspberries or blackberries. All in all a really nice, really enticing smell.

There's not so much a whole separate malt taste to this one, but it's kind of always there behind the hops keeping them in line. Really bitter, but really fresh tasting and alive. All in all, if you dig hops, this beer is totally refreshing. Also, the alcohol never gets out of hand, and it really doesn't make itself known until the beer is pretty warm, but then in a very dry way accenting the spiciness of the hops. Really great hoppy, bready, yeasty bitter finish.

Very well carbonated, very refreshing feeling that only contributes to how good this beer is.

By far the most drinkable DIPA I've ever had, and my new favorite over 90 Minute. Too bad it's only available every now and again.

veggiemafia, Nov 06, 2005
3.33/5  rDev -18.8%

A very pale straw color with white colored head that leaves behind nice lacing. The color was not at all what I was expecting for this style...looked rather watered down. The smell contained alcohol and hops but not much else. The taste is above average, but not grand or intense like most other DIPAs. The malt character in this brew is really suppressed and that prevents the beer from being as complex and rich as it would otherwise with more malt character. The hops are right there in the very first sip, but I'm expecting something more in the aftertaste, but it's just not there. The sourness in my throat is alright, but it is a bit astringent and unpleasant over time. The one redeeming feature of this beer is that it masks the high ABV (>8%) very well. But, overall this beer is not all that it can be or that it should be, especially since it's a product of Victory Brewing Co...an excellent brewery.

jaluria, Nov 06, 2005
2.93/5  rDev -28.5%

The new batch. Enjoyed it from a pint glass.

A - Pours a golden bronze with a one finger head which dissipates in about two minutes. Visible carbonation thoughout the drink.

S - Hops. Pine Hops mostly, though citrus is decernable. On every brewery tour, they pass around a bowl of some aromatic hops and invite you to smell them. That is basically what this smell is - pure, raw hops. The abv is absolutely undetectable.

T - Hops. Not too surprising. It is not very bitter even, just that crisp clean hoppy taste. I get no malt, no alcohol, nothing through the hops. I guess that is kind of the point.

M - A little drying. Thin. Nothing much to it.

D - Not too bad. It is strong, so too many will do you in, and the hops ravage your taste buds. After about half the bottle, I really didn't want anymore hops. For me, this beer raises a metaphysical question: What is the point in drinking hop juice? I guess I hoped for some depth to this brew. It is obvious that victory succeeded at what they wanted to do - make a ridiculously hoppy beer. But if a brewery set out to make the most disgusting stout in existence and succeed, should they get a five? No. Pliney the Elder is another hop motivated beer, but somehow that succeeds were Hop Wallop fails.

mrasskicktastic, Nov 05, 2005
4.28/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2005 Edition from Wine World, Abingdon, MD $10.25 for a six.

This is an amazing and perplexing beer. It pours a clean golden yellow with a solid head. It is indistinguishable from the Prima Pils which I also had on this occasion.

The nose is amazing. At first, burnt rubber came to mind. Weird but enticing. The citrus, pine aroma is very strong and very nice.

Taste may be the only weak point. The hops are good but somewhat overpowering. This isn't a bad thing but it takes away from the malt balance that you would expect. The alcohol taste is well masked until the end as the beer warms up a little. Obvious dry finish.

Mouthfeel was suprisingly good given the lack of malt presence. The beer stays on your palate for quite a while allowing you to enjoy the complexity of the hop flavor.

This is a very drinkable brew, provided you have an ample supply of water to cure the inevitable dry mouth. All in all, wonderful stuff. I will be stockpiling this as long as it lasts.

Terp96, Nov 05, 2005
4.05/5  rDev -1.2%

Pours an intense golden yellow with a thick white head, lighter than expected but looks menacing nonetheless. Aroma has huge citrus character (grapefruit, lemon, tangerine and lime), some pine resin, grass, big straw and bread dough malt profile and some funky esters. The flavor is fairly bitter, with some big citrusy, grassy and piney hop notes, along with some toasted biscuit, unbaked bread dough, fruity ale esters and mild phenols. Honestly this tastes more like a prima pils on steroids rather than hopdevil on steroids. Mouthfeel is a big light for the style (i expect a big, chewy malt profile on DIPAs) but drinkabilty is excellent for the style. I have to say im somewhat confused by this beer, it didnt really have the malt profile to back up the hops. Regardless, this is a tasty and complex beer regardless of style.

silver0rlead, Nov 05, 2005
4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

I love Victory beers and I love double IPAs. Glad I finally got my hands on this one.

12 ounce bottle poured into a Brooklyn snifter.

A - This stuff is golden. That's the only way I can describe it. A pure gold color with a nice two finger white head. Leaves rings of lace on the glass with every sip.

S - An extreme citrusy hop blast. It comes at me smelling like a mix of grapefruits and some piney hops. A hop blast to be reckoned with.

T - A nice malty taste on the beginnning of the sip and then a gigantic hop punch hits you hard. Extreme bitterness through the middle of the drink. A tiny alcohol bite but not much. Excellent taste overall.

M - Feels good on the tongue. Right amount of carbonation as it rolls around in the mouth.

D - I'm loving it. This is a beer that will keep me coming back for more. I'll have to stock up while the stores still have this year's in stock.

EStreet20, Nov 05, 2005
4.4/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This has a clear straw and golden look.The head is a large two finger one that lasts.The smell is hop and fruit filled,very nice.This is one hoppy beer.
This beer tastes very good,it's very fruity,some citrus maybe grapefruit,and like the label says alot of hops.A nice medium m/f that says you could drink this on a nice hot day after cutting the lawn.This is a beer I could drink everyday.

jmz62565, Oct 30, 2005
3.93/5  rDev -4.1%

08/19/05- Received via trade with Santoslhalper.

Presentation- 12oz bottle with a best by date printed on the label.
Poured into my Englander pint glass.

Appearance- More golden than orange pour. Limited head as well. Maybe 1/4 inch at best when finished pouring. Leaves a nice creamy 1/8th of an inch ring throughout though. Excellent lace clings to the sides.

Smell- Not much emminates from the glass. When I smelled the bottle after popping the cap, it seemed much stronger than after being poured...weird. Slight scents of citrus and pine hops at best. What I can smell does smell good though.

Taste- Bready malt background...more than I was expecting. Nice citrus hop twang as well. More citrus than pine, but some of that as well. Not as overpowering as I was expecting.

Mouthfeel- Very much lacking in carbonation. This is a good thing and a not so good thing. Most beers I like to have lower carbonation levels, but in my IPA's I like a bit more. There is some, but not as much as I would seek in a perfect DIPA. It is however velvety smooth and creamy because of that.

Drinkability- I was expected to be "walloped" by hops, and sadly I wasn't. However, it is a perfectly acceptable DIPA. In fact it's pretty good. Different from most of them I have had in that the hops are smoother and more laid back, with a nice malt background and also a bit less carbonated for a smoother consumption. All in all a good beer that I would buy again for a nice change of pace.

GClarkage, Aug 19, 2005
4.38/5  rDev +6.8%

reviewed with pleasure by Karst
in Mid. Missouri

Enjoy by April 28 '05
Pours a slighlty orange gold with white head with persistent ring offering lace on the sides of the 0.4L Rastal sniffer.
Distinct aroma of pink grapefruit pith and toasted malts. Flavors of sweet caramel. Shows off the hop juicy flavors of lemon and sugar sprinkled grapefruit. Medium to full body with a dextrinous mouthfeel. A great DIPA that is very drinkable.

karst, Aug 18, 2005