Hop Wallop - Victory Brewing Company

Hop WallopHop Wallop

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Beer added by: Todd on 12-17-2003

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Wallop Alström Bros
4.07/5  rDev -0.7%

Follow up to the 2004 version:

I'd cellared the 2004 for a little over a year, to do a side-by-side comparison with the 2005 version. There's no comparison, drink this beer fresh! The hops dramatically faded with age, and had a mild stale flavor.

Anyway's, the 2005:

Pours the same clear amber, reminiscent of a pilsener, minus the bubbles.
Hops smell different, apparently they changed back to the original hop varieties. Definitely more funk in this nose. There's a very distinct smell, but it's eluding me right now. A byproduct of Tettnang hops (new to me), if that is in fact what was used. Either way, incredibly fresh.
Not overly bitter, in fact, rather smooth. The aftertaste seems rather.. I don't know how to describe it except for it's like chewing cardboard. I've had the same flavor come through in my home-brews, maybe it's the hops.... Slightly irritating, but I'm glad it doesn't just happen to me!
I'll give this beer kudos for being a bit funkier than other DIPA's I've tried. I'm growing tired of the clean Cascade flavor. Yum.

4.32/5  rDev +5.4%

Victory Hop Wallop is exactly what it sounds like - a beer that slaps you across the face with hops and leaves you begging for more. Pours a hazy light golden color with a fairly thin white head. Aroma is full of spicy and piney hops, so much that they almost burn the nose. Taste is a complete hop bomb, but with a firm body and a slight bit of toastiness to back it up. Slightly hot going down, but otherwise a great DIPA. I would buy this a lot if I could.

4.24/5  rDev +3.4%

A tasty brew.
Golden straw in color but with a slight haze. The head is bright white that stays around with decent lacing. Aroma is sweet floral with some citrus. Malt and hops blend well, with the hops winning out in the aftertaste. Nice hoppiness without a lingering harsh bitterness. The high alcohol is well hidden, so watch out, it goes down easy.

4.47/5  rDev +9%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle a clear straw color. Massive piney hop smell. Huge white long lasting head. Lacing throughout the session. Powerful all hop taste with chewy piney finish. This one lives up to its billing and packs a hop wallop. Like drinking a Christmas tree.

3.92/5  rDev -4.4%

Picked up just after thanksgiving from the brewery in one of their growlers (conveniently located just 15 minutes from where i reside).
Upon first pour i was disappointed, not from its appearance, but because i could have sworn i was served victory's pilsner or golden monkey due to its clear golden-orange-amber color. I was expecting a deep amber red. But, after getting a whif, there was no mistaking its identity. Smells like a mellowed grapefruit aroma. It has about a half inch head rising from a very slow pour. Its taste possesses that same mellow grapefruit-hoppy flavor that the smell does but with some citrus mixed in.
The body and drinkability are so uncharacteristic of other beers Ive had of this style (Stoudts DIPA). It is very light and finely carbonated, just like the prima pils i almost mistook it foor. If any DIPA could be a session beer, id say it would be Hop Wallop (if any 8.5% abv beer could be a session beer).
Although im not necessarily crazy about the style, Id definitly recommend this over and over again to someone who wants something with more of a kick when it comes to flavor.

4.24/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

I love living in the upstate of SC and being able to cross the border into the newly beered-up state of NC. This pours out golden yellow. Low carbonation.
Smells like a big liquid hop. Very grassy, like I'm rolling around in a pile of hops.
Tasty is fresh and bitter, aggressively hopped. It's actually kind of pointless to review this beer, cause the name tells you everything you need to know. It's hoppy and delicious, and is probably too smooth drinking for an 8.5% beer.

4.08/5  rDev -0.5%

Another solid offering from one of the most consistent brewers in my opinion. I love hops, so i was excited to try this beer. It pours thick cloudy orange and to be honest I did not get much in the way of aroma. Bits of citrus and of course ... the hops. Soon as the glass hits your lips, you know the hops are coming and they do. Solid, not over the top with a strong finish. The beer is exceedingly smooth for such a strong sided brew. Sorry to hear this one won't be around all year.

4.33/5  rDev +5.6%

Pours a light golden straw with two fingers of off-white head, good retenention, nice lacing. Hop aroma is strong, nice and fresh and grassy to begin with, a little citrus, and as it warms it becomes more piney. Taste is more of the big hops, citrusy and grapefruit primarily, although there is a biscuitlike malt lurking just in the background. Finishes with a nice long resinous hop aftertaste. Medium mouthfeel, somewhat oily because of all the hops, with a nice crisp carbonation. This is definitely a nice hopbomb for those who like them, but after hearing this talked up so much, I'm slightly disappointed with my first try.

4.74/5  rDev +15.6%

Recently tried just a bottle and had to run out to a store near my house to get more. So sad to see this is a seasonal, but will buy as much of it as I can fit in my fridge. Smells fresh, with citrus and coriander; pours clear and "mildly amber". Tastes even fresher than it smells with floral blossoms from start to finish. The finish, by the way lingers just a little...could be more. All in all, one of my new favorite IPA's. Not as overly hoppy as some other double IPA's out there. Also, doesn't feel like 8.5% so watch out.

4.25/5  rDev +3.7%

Pours a cloudy pale orange color with a modest head. Generous stream of bubbles from the bottom belies the carbonation.

Smells of fresh hops... almost sweet to the nose. Grassy and outdoorsy. Nice, but subtle... not as 'in your face' as alot of DIPAs I've had the pleasure of tasting.

Huge citrus flavour is beaten back by the hops. Very grassy... very nice. Once again, doesn't seem quite as pungent as many DIPAs, which I'm not sure I like... then again, it certainly enhances the drinkability.

Crisp and lively on the tongue. Moderate mouthfeel in terms of thickness... quite nice.... just right.

The overall drinkability of this brew is superb... in-line with that of DFH 90min, which I think is a stupendous brew. That being said, given my choice, I would take the 90min over this brew any day (something that pains me to say considering my love for Victory and their brews).
However, if given the opportunity to give this beer a try, it is definitely worth the $9 for a 6er.

4.2/5  rDev +2.4%

Pint at Mad Mex. This beer is a dark gold with a nice big head that leaves excellent lacing. Smell is all hops- citrusy and piney. Taste is powerful hops- very bitter and citrusy. Quite delicious but there could be a litte more hop complexity here- the bitterness hits really hard and fast here and is obscuring some other flavors I think. There is some malt here but not enough to keep the hops in check which is perfectly fine for a double IPA. Mouthfeel is a very nice medium body feels quite nice in the mouth. Pretty drinkable for the style. A very nice beer overall.

4.1/5  rDev 0%

Pours a deep gold with a fluffy two finger head atop that settles nicely leaving a sheet of lace behind,big brassy hop in the aroma and quite herbal that really sticks out a touch of pineapple is there but the pine is the most noticable here.Well if you like hops this is it for you,herbal and piney with a nice underlying citrus zest a lightly sweet malt backbone appears but is small compared to the big hops.Wow the alcohol is prevalent here mainly in the finish quite zippy and stronger as the beer warms.A big flavorful IPA in your face the alcohol keeps me from wanting to drink much though.

4.58/5  rDev +11.7%

2005 batch. A year later, after many more beers drank, I think I "get" this beer. It's definately a different approach to hopping than a lot of the double monster IPAs have, and I like that and can appreciate it now. It's more of a resiny, juicy, oliy soaked hop, with a lot of bitterness in the finish but not right up front. So much hop that it actually starts to take on a fruity characteristic like apples, or oranges, and that more usual grapefruit bite. Dry though at the same time. One thing I can't get over though is the color. It's amazingly light! You'd think a beer like this would have a much more robust amber color, but this one is straight up straw and crystal clear. Excellent lacing as I noted in last year's review. Snow-flakey. Smoothest mouthfeel of an IPA I've come across. Way too drinkable. I think I may try to stash a few of these away for the summer, as I think it'd be excellent in warm weather due to it's light body and refreshing taste. At the same time, it's robust and hoppy enough to be a winter seasonal, which it is. Awesome brew.

4.09/5  rDev -0.2%

12oz with an illegible Enjoy by date of Oct-29-??, poured into a pint glass.

Clear gold with a small head of white that after a few minutes settles to a thin layer of foam with wispy lace. Almost looks...macro.

The smell is all sweetend grapefruit. The little extra sweetness might be from the malts, but my nose is telling me to get ready for a hop assault!

The taste follows along the same lines, but the hop profile is not overbearing. It all but conceals the biscuit like malts. Again, juicy, sweetend grapefruit is what's going on. This is a real DIPA and not some poorly disguised BW. Lingering fruity hop goodness in the after taste.

For style, the mouth is a bit light. More carbonation might help this out. A fun beer, I could keep drinking this until I got too buzzed.

4.55/5  rDev +11%

This is a wonderful golden colored beer with a tall white head of foam that laces well.
It is quite aromatic with a great blend of citrus and pine.
The flavor is just as it smells, hopy. Citrus and pine all the way, with a mild malt character hidden in there just to balance things out a bit.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied and nicely carbonated. Nice and crisp on the tongue.

This is a great seasonal from Victory.

4.31/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I have never experienced a numerical anomaly such as this is while rating beer. This beer pours very uncharismatically, with virtually no head and no lacing. I didn't realize it was a DIPA until I started this review. Notes of tremendous pine and citrus emanate, there is a grainy smell as well. Hops abound in this one. Not so overpowering as some DIPA's can be, more like extremely hoppy Pale Ale.

I bought this at a pretty high volume package store and this was not there a week ago, so I am imagining it as being fresh. It comes across in the mouth as being a little stale, but at the same time, easily consumed.

4.02/5  rDev -2%

The name pretty much says it all. I was trying to explain to someone that this tasted like "hop juice" and he thought I said "hobtuse" or "hoptuse".
All of these apply.
Big hoppyness going on here. Hopheads, belly up to the bar. Pretty thick on the palate, unbalanced maybe, but definately has an appeal.
Nearly palate ruining. If tasting among other brews, save this one for towards the end. Everything else will taste like water in comparison.
Victory's Hop Devil is probably a better made thing, but given a choice between the two I think I'd usually pick this one.

4.32/5  rDev +5.4%

2005 release

Pours a deep gold with a large, dense white head of mixed sized bubbles. Lots of carbonation racing to the top. Nice lacing. The smell is all big fruity, piney, sprucy hops. Hops, hops, hops! A fantastic bouquet. Big hops up front, in the middle, and in the finish. The mouthfeel is almost silky smooth, punctuated by a resinous hop finish. This is a hop monster and quite drinkable. It will make enjoying a delicate pilsner impossible later in the night, but proves to be a hop lover's dream. This is much better than last year's version.

3.94/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a slightly hazy medium gold with a small frothy, white head that has good retention. Average lacing. The smell is so good! Such amazing pungent, fresh hops aromas with just enough malt presence to round it out but let the hops hog up the limelight. Resin, pine, citrus, light bread, a little caramel and hints of nuts and grass. The taste is good, but not nearly as impressive as the aroma led me to believe it would be. Quite bitter and out of balance. But a nice finish, long with lasting flavors of lemon rind and resin. It has a medium body, dry texture and soft carbonation. I guess I’ve grown to expect a lot from Victory, and I don’t think this one quite lived to my expectations. But then again I expect the best from them. I definitely enjoyed it, but I still have some Stoudts Double IPA in my fridge that I’d choose over this beer in a heartbeat.

3.87/5  rDev -5.6%

Pours a clear golden straw like color. Leaves a bit of lace down the glass.

Smells like HOPS! They dont lie when they say its brewed with hops, hops, and...hops. Also notes of citrus and pine.

Taste is solid and balanced. I was expecting much more of a "wallop" but I am pleasantly suprised. A nice bite of hops and bitterness followed by a nice malty bread taste with a little bit of citrus.

First time trying this wonderful seasonal from victory. I will certainly head out for more.

4.42/5  rDev +7.8%

'05 offering...ah, it's that time year again.
A golden color with a full finger of bright white head...disappears quite rapidly w/ just a fine coating remaining...very little lace.
Fabulous in the nose...grapefruit, citrus, skunk buds and an earthy character.
The taste is great...so fresh with a boatload of bitter grapefruit hops up front, a sweet maltiness in between and a marmalade like finish....alcohol very well hidden.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied and the carbonation is perfect.
For a double, this is one of the most drinkable IIPA's out there...go and seek this one before it is gone from the shelves.

3.73/5  rDev -9%

12oz single, secured from CRJMellor, 2004 edition

appearance: really is a remarkable looking beer, a beautiful juicy orange color that is incredibly cloudy, nice white rim and lacing

smell: pretty malty, sweet and fruity, bready, definite hop presence that has likely subdued over the year, some nice tropical fruit in the nose

taste: sweet malts, caramel, grapefruit bitterness, citrus hops, definately some tropical fruit, mango, defined alcohol presence. A pretty tast DIPA, would love to try the 2005 version

mouthfeel: bitter, thick and bready, alcohol warm

drinkability: one at a time!

2.2/5  rDev -46.3%

I am a Hophead. That said I thought this 2005 release at Grey Lodge was disappointing. Maybe I was kidding myself since this is an Imperial IPA. I thought I'd give this one another chance since the only other encounter was with an expired bottle.

It was so offensive to my taste buds that I didn't even finish it. Even in light of the fact that the beer came with the purchase of a pint glass & t-shirt. I found it was eating my stomach up. I do not have a weak gut.

It was all hops and nothing else. It didn't even pour a nice head. Wallops your senses so that all you can detect are hops. It is so harsh I could not even tell what type of hops. It was simply caustic!

I'll take a Alpha King or Tuppers anyday over this loser from Victory.

These guys are much more capable than this!

4.44/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I had this on tap at UJ's on the Manatawny. It came in a pint glass.

Arrives a slightly hazy gold with a tangerine tint. Not much of a white cap sits on top, but it lingers there for most of the drink, with decent lacing.

Aroma is really fruity and hoppy, with notes of tropical fruits like mangos and papaya, grapefruit and lemons. Thick, sweet, bready malts, great smells.

The first flavor is unmistakeably mangos, very fruity and estery, followed by juicy citrus hop flavors like grapefruit and lemons, and a bit of pine in the back. There is a good deal of residual sweetness, but there's plenty of hop bitterness to balance. The malt character is big and chewy, and the ABV is very well hidden. Aftertaste is long and bitter and sweet. Fantastic!

Mouthfeel is full bodied, with a soft to medium carbonation. Lips stick together from sweetness. Great burps. Finish is sweet, with a big grab at your throat from bitterness.

This is a very nice DIPA. Really fruity, hoppy, malty, and just scrumptious. Alcohol is almost undetectable. Deceptively strong, and addictingly delicious.

4.59/5  rDev +12%

Bottle with very clear best by date.

Fairly pale straw kind of gold. A little more pale than I had imagined it would be on the first pour. Moderate head, not very fluffy, but many different sized bubbles, and little islands have hung around through the first half of the glass pretty well.

Smell is WONDERFUL, enchanting hop hit backed very well by yeasty notes, and also a very very nice fruity thing, like raspberries or blackberries. All in all a really nice, really enticing smell.

There's not so much a whole separate malt taste to this one, but it's kind of always there behind the hops keeping them in line. Really bitter, but really fresh tasting and alive. All in all, if you dig hops, this beer is totally refreshing. Also, the alcohol never gets out of hand, and it really doesn't make itself known until the beer is pretty warm, but then in a very dry way accenting the spiciness of the hops. Really great hoppy, bready, yeasty bitter finish.

Very well carbonated, very refreshing feeling that only contributes to how good this beer is.

By far the most drinkable DIPA I've ever had, and my new favorite over 90 Minute. Too bad it's only available every now and again.

Hop Wallop from Victory Brewing Company