Hop Wallop - Victory Brewing Company

Hop WallopHop Wallop

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-17-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Wallop Alström Bros
budsboy

3.88/5  rDev -5.4%

Pours a cloudy light amber with a sticky white head.

Citrussy hop nose with fruity hints. Not nearly as hoppified as I expected.

Starts out hoppy enough, with a healthy dose of malty sweetness, then comes a hard-nosed, full-on grapefruit hop pounding. Ah, that's the wallop apparently. Cool.

Crisp on the tongue and oily at the finish. This beer seems to have two stages of everything.

Pretty easy to drink, but I wouldn't try pounding these down all day long.

03-13-2005 19:04:02 | More by budsboy
TheGipper

3.25/5  rDev -20.7%

Tasted a glass at the Victory event in NYC. I was looking forward to getting my hands on this ale, and I ended up somewhat disappointed. There was a lack of body, a thinness, which made the hoppiness evaporate after the first moments of sipping. Nice aroma, but the flavor just did not follow through. I'd call this more drinkable if it wasn't so high in alcohol. Not bad, but not what I expected.

03-10-2005 18:13:01 | More by TheGipper
sprackops

4.78/5  rDev +16.6%

Presentation: 12oz brown bottle poured into a nonic imperial pint glass.

Appearance: Hazy bright orange with numerous bubbles floating up the sides to a moderately sized white head. Like carbonated apricot juice, as strange as that would be.

Smell: Mainly pine and sweet citric aromas. Yes, there are a lot of hops in this stuff. Despite the ABV, there is no scent of alcohol.

Taste: As advertised, hops are clearly in the driver's seat. Unlike other beers of the style, however, the malt content isn't relegated to the role of a mere hop juice delivery system. While I'd hesitate to call this balanced, the Wallop is the closest I've tasted in a double IPA. As to specifics, I was immediately hit by a huge grapefruit and pine needle flavor, no doubt courtesy of Pacific Northwest hops. There is an undercurrent of honey-like malt character, gently leading the imbiber to a bitter end.

Mouthfeel: Fuller bodied and creamier than the appearance suggests, as if it were an IPA crossed with a Belgian tripel.

Drinkability/comments: While I wasn't lucky enough to taste last year's version, which many claim was much better, I'd have to say this is the best double IPA I've had thus far. Over time I've had quite a few, and through intensive scientific analysis have concluded that it is very quaffable.

03-06-2005 05:08:54 | More by sprackops
horndecker

2.98/5  rDev -27.3%

Ouch! That hurts.
Well, it has a nice look to it. Golden yellow with a big creamy head. The aromas are intense and interesting. Grassy and herbal, piney and unrelentingly hoppy. What a surprise. I swear I can almost see resins beginning to crystalize on the lip of the glass.
The first sip is overpoweringly medicinal. Actually unpleasant. For me this wallop is way over the top, all out of balance. Although I love a good IPA, I suppose I'm not a hophead. However, I'm open-minded and I'll try this again, along with others of the ilk.

03-05-2005 19:59:15 | More by horndecker
xgrigorix

4.08/5  rDev -0.5%

Twelve ounce brown bottle. Best by date printed on label.

Pale straw gold in colour. Dense, creamy looking white head that will no quit. Sheets of sticky lace decorate the glass.

Sticky pine & aromas of orange fill the nose.

Subtle hints of biscuit pass by in a flash. Resinous pine & loads of citrus take over. Splashes of fruit work in & out. Somewhat green & vegetal aftertaste lingers briefly. Medium fbodied, smooth, moderate carbonation. I think I'll go pick some hops leaves out of my teeth now.

03-04-2005 18:17:50 | More by xgrigorix
Hop2it

4.68/5  rDev +14.1%

I'll put it this way, after checking this site for the last few months, Hop Wallop is the beer I decided to write my first review about. I like my IPAs the way I like my action movies. Big explosion in the very beginning, followed by an introduction of the individual characters and their qualities.

Beers like this I enjoy in a congac glass... maybe I just like the way it looks, but I swear it brings the smell to a point that I taste each drink before it reaches my lips.

The initial taste is so citrusy and bitter it 'hops' to the back of my tounge and lets those slow malty flavors catch up with the rest a second later.

Though Hop Wallop's head is rather thin, the lace of sip-rings around my glass reminds me of how each sip gets longer and deeper and more appreciated.

There's a lot of complexity here and I don't know where to start. I'm reminded of Weyerbacher's Hops Infusion, though I feel like this has more punch. I give it high marks for mouthfeel because it really tingles every part of my mouth from my lips to the back of my throat, like those tiny carbonated bubbles can't stop popping with hidden flavors.

Drinkability? Gosh there's very few beers I'd rather spend a night drinking, though one night this week after only 4 Wallops I decided to go to a bar to find something with a lower alcohol content. Sure, I can handel a 8.5% beer, but killing a 6pack would be a chore.

Blame it on my sense for immediate satisfication or on years of hot sauce abuse, but I get real excited about the spicy richness that IPAs offer. Victory really did a great job here... this is the big brother of Hop Devil and its name is fitting.

03-01-2005 05:43:45 | More by Hop2it
dauss

Colorado

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

Presentation: 12oz. bottle with an old man smacking his lips on the label. Says it is a very hoppy ale, stamped with a Enjoy by date May 22, 05.

Appearance: medium fluffly white head that rests gently on top of the beer like a cloud. Good retention and massive lacing. Clear golden orange with a little chill haze.

Smell: Very citrusy hop smell, mild piney notes, with the malt in the background. Kinda spicy, but it could just be the 8.5% ABV that lurks within.

Taste: Starts with a very brief flash of sweet malt, and then the hops take over. Bitterness gradually gets stronger and stronger and stronger. Lots of citrus and piney hop flavor with an oily and resiny kind of quality. The flavor fades in the end just leaving you with an intense bitterness all over your tongue, comprable what you get after eating a high alpha acid hop pellet.

Mouthfeel: Light carbonation, but it has a full body. Leaves a drying and a very faint astringency.

Notes: Alcohol is barely detectable in the taste and combined with the light carbonation very drinkable. Definitely warms you up on a cold and rainy day like today. Extremely well balanced with the hop bitterness, flavor, and aroma. I would like to see a little bit more malt, but a very fine American IIPA.

02-25-2005 21:03:40 | More by dauss
alexgash

Connecticut

4.2/5  rDev +2.4%

Smuggled into Utah from Boston, let's see how it held up on the journey...
Pours a gorgeous copper apricot with a tall, thick, creamy, light tan head that stays all night. Sweetish cookie malt backbone, with a very flowery, citric hop component. Taste starts with solid malt; cookie batter, and light toffee/butterscotch. Hops come on strong, with nice piney flavors at first, followed by a sharp acidic citrus bite. Wow. Finishes like grapefruit juice with some lingering malt and a warming alcohol groove. Medium-bodied, with a creamy feel. Good carbonation and a dry finish. Nice, but not the best DIPA I've had.

02-25-2005 03:00:29 | More by alexgash
stjarnflikka

Sweden

4.15/5  rDev +1.2%

Thanks to Oliver Twist!

Pours a hazy, golden beer with some foam that settles on top lifted by medium carbonation. Some sediment in there.

Smell comes on like cheese. After reading here i might aggree to say grapefruit which probably comes from the Cascade? Very powerful though with some more citrus and huge citric hoppiness. Some prinkling carbonation in there. Huge hop oils together with powerful lemon and lime peel.

Taste comes on thick and bitter. Rich, somewhat prickly due to carbonation and citric. Lingers sweet on palatte to burst away a cascade of bitter traces and different malty feels like those of citrus, pine and grassy hay ;) Finishes soothing bitter and quite long lasting as well.

Extremely potent brew with lot of flavours. The smell came on quite funky in the beginning though, not to my liking.

Double ipa? yeah, tasty as well and i might just give it another go.

02-20-2005 09:45:49 | More by stjarnflikka
maxpower

Missouri

Pours a clear light copper, aroma of pine and citrus, hops and hops and more hops, nice white head with large bubbles that leaves a good lacing in my glass, sticky pine and grapefruit hoppy flavors with some malt sweetness to balance this hop monster out a bit, medium body with a thick and sticky mouthfeel, finishes bitter, nice.

02-11-2005 00:45:54 | More by maxpower
oracle

Indiana

2.33/5  rDev -43.2%

Maybe I got a bad bottle, but this stuff is not nearly as good as I've been led to believe.

Beer poured clear light yellow with minimal head. Looked almost like an adjunct lager, but the yellow was a little more intense.

Smell was perhaps the strangest I've ever come across. I know it sounds bizarre but the smell reminded me more of canned pineapple than anything else. Not particularly pleasant.

Taste was strange, harsh and unforgiving. If that was hops, they were like no other hops I've ever had before.

I need to try this again, preferably on tap, but until then, I recommend against this one.

02-07-2005 15:52:09 | More by oracle
palma

4.08/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a good double IPA but not as good as some others have proclaimed. Great look with a sick head which looks like melted marshmallow and lasts the entire pint. Yellow body. Looks much lighter than most other IPA's. Floral aroma with some spice, cocoa, some grassiness, but something odd too - kinda like leather or horse stable? wierd. Taste is all hops of course. Lip smacking flavor but missing that piney oily taste. Its just citrus and clean hop bitterness. I was looking for something more complex. Alcohol hidden well. Mouthfeel is very smooth with stickiness in the finish. Yeah, I can drink this one all day, but I can drink a lot of beers all day. This double IPA is definitely good, but it's not amazing so dont get your hopes up that much.

Additional note: watch out this beer kicks your ass at 8.5% ABV. Im feeling it after two pints... big time

02-04-2005 01:16:35 | More by palma
merlin48

Kentucky

4.33/5  rDev +5.6%

Pours a slightly hazed, goldenrod yellow body with a lasting, one centimeter offwhite head. Generous deposits of patch lace are all over the glass. Good looking Double IPA.
Grapefruit fronts a vivid hops presence that has some grassy notes to back up the assertive citrus.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied, with active carbonation and a mild hops sting on the tongue.
Taste has a caramel malt backbone that is a cameo player here. Bitter citrusrind, grassy and pine notes are centerstage, with grapefruit hoppiness in the lead role. Dry and bitter hops finish and citrusy aftertaste. Alcohol is cleverly concealed.
A good wallop of hops in this one. Well constructed, and very enjoyable Double IPA here. Quite sessionable. Thanks to mtnlover for bringing this bottle by.

02-01-2005 11:51:28 | More by merlin48
waughbrew

3.35/5  rDev -18.3%

Head wonderfully creamy, leaving impressively foamy lace. Golden. Aroma of piney alcoholic grapefruit. Slightly erotic herbs and squeezed lemon with a little mustiness. On the tongue this "very hoppy ale" was full-figured, moist, and slightly dense, just like a good homemade bread. As the finish nears, a crushed aspirin takes over with hints of cough syrup alcohol. This tastes like cactus juice. It also tastes like one of the magic healing elixers I used to buy at the circus back in the 1870s. Overall funky, long-lasting, and pretty good.

[batch fall 2004, drink by April 26 2005]

01-25-2005 23:45:26 | More by waughbrew
mntlover

Tennessee

4.22/5  rDev +2.9%

Pours a clear golden straw color with a white head that falls to a ring of foam with clumps of foam floating in the middle leaves a light coating of lace on the way down.
Aroma if hops herbal, earthy, grassy type mixed with hints of floral undertones on top of a sweet malt backdrop make for a diffrent and intersting for a I2PA. Overall smell is little subuded compared to others but might have to due with the type of hops used.
Taste is sweet and biscuit like malt before the hops take over. Grassy earthy flavors with some fruity pear like flavors also in the mix. Finishes with a herbal bitterness almost medicine like not bad. Overall tastey and diffrent not what I was expecting at all, doesn't live up to the hype but still is a good beer.
Mouthfeel is creamy like but not as heavy feeling as others kind of strange to be creamy and little light at the same time.
Drinkability is good did not notice it was 8.5 untill looking no alcohol in the smell or taste. A good drinkable beer wish I had more nice change from my usual doubles. Thanks to kegerator for the samples.

01-24-2005 20:22:33 | More by mntlover
ppoitras

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

12ozer bottle bought as a single from Yankee Spirits, Sturbridge, MA.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 1" slightly off-white head above the slightly cloudy golden brew. Head lasts well, will slow-receding foamy lace. Aroma is somewhat earthy, very piney hops, and not much else noticeable. Taste actually starts with a bit of a sweet malt flavor, then quickly segues into the piney hops portended by the nose. Mouthfeel and drinkabilty are excellent for the style. Liked this one tons better from the bottle than the tap.

01-23-2005 20:28:29 | More by ppoitras
cokes

Wisconsin

4.1/5  rDev 0%

Lucid gold, hazy, but not too much.
Small, large-pocket white head.

We all know the drill with DIPAs, right? They're like bonging a shitload of pine sap, grapefruit, then chasing with maple and/or brown sugar. Resiny, but sweet, mouth-raping little suckers, and we all love them.

Ok, so what the fuck is this then?

A maltiness that teeters between shortbread and graham crackers, then dries further to simply saltines. Yeasty breadiness kicks up in the middle. Fleeting anjou pear notions. Hops strike with a searing herbal bitterness that is far more German-seated than I was prepared for. Blisteringly peppery. Notions of lime rinds. Lightly tart. Rose petals and lilacs on the swallow. Just an obligatory wave towards pine. This has bitterness to spare, despite its lack of typical American Double IPA goo and resin.

Medium of build, with light but steady carbonation. It harkens closely to Rogue's Imperial Pils.

It's biggest assest is its downability.

I'm fond of it....but not in love. Though I'd gladly have at it again.

Thanks for 'em, Hugey.

01-21-2005 06:11:30 | More by cokes
whartontallboy

4.58/5  rDev +11.7%

Pours deep gold clear with a nice head that sticks around for a while. It's not just a name: the aroma is incredibly hoppy, but with some nice citric notes to balance it out a bit. The taste is extremely hoppy with a bitterness in the finish that almost makes you pucker. Mouthfeel is medium-bodied, but with a nice amount of carbonation. Drinkability is extremely high for a double IPA in my opinion; that 8.5% can sneak up pretty quickly. If only it were available year-round!

01-20-2005 22:17:19 | More by whartontallboy
GIVEMEBACKMYSON

Alaska

4.7/5  rDev +14.6%

Golden and slightly orange in color, this is. The thin wispy head eminates a blue spruce and grapefruit floral hop aroma. If the writing on the bottle doesn't tell you what this is about, the smell certainly will.
Aside from the overall sheer hoppiness of this, there is a clash of peppery and sweet flavors that pop up from time to time. The onslaught of hops seems to intensify from one sip to the next.
This has quite the carbonated zip in the mouth, making for a surprisingly light refreshing beer, and frightening ease of consumption. If a person was jonesing for hops and got into a sixer of this, I could see knocking back the whole thing, in blissful overindulgence.
Muchas gracias Cokes.

01-20-2005 22:07:08 | More by GIVEMEBACKMYSON
KoG

Nevada

4.25/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This beer came my way via woodychandler.

Dark yellow but not quite orange tint and a lovely creamy white head that leaves oodles of lacing. A little darker color would have pushed this up to a 5.

Didn't really smell hoppy, although it is the only real aroma present.

Super tasty in every aspect. No trace of Alcohol and the hops are under control but still dominate the palate and don't throttle you with bitterness.

Goes down smooth and creamy with a slight twinge that becomes a bit astringent toward the end.

A good brew and very tasty indeed, but the high ABV and tastebud assaulting hop profile knocks this back a tiny bit in my book.

01-17-2005 07:11:11 | More by KoG
bnuttz

Wisconsin

4.22/5  rDev +2.9%

pours a pale straw color, almost macro looking, but dont be fooled. This is a beer to be reckoned with. The smell is all hops all the way. Piney, citrusy, grassy. Delicious. Taste is bitter, definite pine notes. This is definitely a punisher. I do love this beer, but I think my taste buds would hate me if I drank this too often. The second and also great beer I have had from victory. Good job guys. I need to try more of your magic. I also gotta thank Cokes for this delightful sample.

01-17-2005 03:26:40 | More by bnuttz
LarryKemp

3.6/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

This beer poured a clear straw that was topped with a vert white cloud like head that left a thick lace as I drank the beer.

The hops dominated the aroma but left some room for the malt to sneak in at the edges. Nice clean nose.

Again the hops came to the fore but those malts brought along enough sweetness to offset the edginess of the hops. The flavor was hops only the sweetness with a bitter hop finish that never blew the malts away.

This beer had a surprisingly medium to medium light mouthfeel. There was creaminess that I had not expected. The alchohol warms slightly and increases its effects with every mouthful.

A very, very nice beer. No one aspect dominates others. The hops rule but the malts are not left in the dust. A great IPA>

01-17-2005 02:44:40 | More by LarryKemp
jawstone

4.33/5  rDev +5.6%

For an 8.5% ABV, it sure doesn't taste like it! Probably once of the smoothest IPA's I personally ever drank. Has just the right amount of bitterness to it. Somewhat of a sweet flavor, but not overbearing. I'd give it a higher score, but I've had better, of course. It's worth buying a case. A very enjoyable brew!

01-16-2005 02:59:09 | More by jawstone
RocketWidget

4.4/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I missed this one last year, and I wasn't about to make the same mistake twice. Now I'm addicted to an absolutely outstanding IPA!

Pours a opaque, straw orange, with moderate, lacy white head. Smells crisp, bitter, and appealing. Taste is just outstanding. Obviously, very well hopped, but still the taste is very well blended with he powerful malt to make this beer surprisingly sweet. You could pair this with a huge variety spicy, heavy foods, put probably nothing delicate. Also just a pleasure to drink on it's own, but hey, I'm a hop head. Do not miss this one!

01-14-2005 04:32:52 | More by RocketWidget
donnebaby

4.18/5  rDev +2%

Huge flaky head combined with the knowledge of the ABV gave me premonitions of gunpowder power. Nose is mellow and super-thick, with caramel and hops combining to a very sweet overall effect.

Taste, also, is very sweet and full of alcohol, but not syrupy like the nose. Sharp alcohol gives the brew a sweet and salty strength. Spicy in intensity. But the main characteristic of the taste, which was not foretold by the restrained fumes, is the choking floral hop mouthful, that has to be the "wallop". The mouth fills up and doesn't want to move, grating and grinding unprocessed hops.

Had on-tap watching a Birds' game w a table full of wings -- and was compelled to switch over to a slightly more thirst-quenching brew. Drinkability is not amazing, but was expected. Nicely nasty double IPA.

01-10-2005 00:04:59 | More by donnebaby