Hop Wallop - Victory Brewing Company

Hop WallopHop Wallop

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Beer added by: Todd on 12-17-2003

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Wallop Alström Bros

from the bottle, poured a slightly hazy golden color with a off white head, and some lacing. aroma, grapefruit with sugar on it, caramel, hops, green apples, alcohol, grassy. flavor, grapefruit, honey, hops, nice mouthfeel with a hint of alcohol. this took re of my hop craving I had.

3.68/5  rDev -10.2%

Best before April 28th, per the bottle dating. Beer is pretty light colored with a slight haze, probably from all those hops! Not a huge head for so much hops and isn't lacing this glass which seems to always happen when I use the dishwasher so it's not the beer. Smells like citrus, pineapple, and some other weird fruits. Smell is also a bit like grain alcohol. Tastes a lot like what I remember DFH 90 minute IPA was like. Hops have mellowed a bit with age but they are still there in spades. I can now taste a bit of the pale malts in the the middle. They are actually quite good. Mouthfeel is heavy for such an innocent looking beer. Hmm. I don't find this beer to be highly drinkable. This is probably due to my disliking of some of the wild ass tasting hops and alcohol presence in this beer. Overall it is decent beer but I won't be buying as much next time.

4.83/5  rDev +17.8%

Had a good workout on the treadmill and going to have a beer for the second half of the ncaa final. Looking for something refreshing so am going to try the victory hop wallop sent to me by sully.
an absolutely beautiful cloudy orange with tiny particles suspended. A creamy white head an inch plus thick that leaves nice lacing until your beer is done. A really unique orange citrus colour.

a light fruity, floral aroma. Citrus is predominant.

Initial taste is hoppiness and fruit juice even a little lemon as it washes over the tounge.
An acidic zing in the aftertaste, kind of like a bitter lemonade.

incredible drinkablity. This has to be one of my new favorites.
I am conciously trying to nurse it a little as i only have one... so sad.

This is an AMAZING beer.

4.45/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle...courtesy of Higravity.
Pours a nice, hazy, golden orange with 2 finger, bone-white head. As with most IPAs this has great lacing and retention.
Smell is that of faint malt, caramel sweetness. Hops figure (obviously) promanently in the aroma as well. A very strong grassy, earthy, citrusy hop aroma. This smells pretty darn good.
Wow, for the smell, I was expecting this to be a lot more bitter than it actually is. Oh, don't get me wrong, it's definitely hoppy as all get out, but it's not really "BITTER." Fruity (citrus, sorty of white winey), caramel, toasty malt, and hop flavor dominate. There is also a very slight warming sensation as this one makes it's way down.
Overall, a wonderful example of a DIPA. I would say my only qualm with this one is the mouthfeel, it's a little slick for my tastes, but still a damn fine beer. I now know what the fuss is about.

3.08/5  rDev -24.9%

Pours out a cloudy yellow with a fluffy white head. Some sheet of lace where left as I drank this. Aroma is a combination of citric hoppiness and a strong alcohol scent. The alcohol really doesn’t let the hops shine through like they should in the style. Taste is very similar with citric and earthy hops being big up front. The alcohol unfortunately is a big part of the taste, and not in a good way. Mouthfeel is about average with ok drinkability. I was expecting a lot more of this when it came out after the rave reviews last years version had. This one fell short and I regret buying a case before I tried it. When it was fresh the same problems stood out so I gave it some time and it still seems to have an overpowering alcohol presence. Hopefully this years version will be better.

4.35/5  rDev +6.1%

Pours a hazy orange with a 1+ finger off white head and a little bit of lacing. Smell is mainly of citric hops with some grassiness and spicy notes. The taste is citric hop bitterness up front, some piney notes ( not as prominent as some other IPAs), and a spiciness that I normally associate with pilseners and Saaz hops. Very nice. The finish is relatively dry with a light but lingering bitterness and a soft alcohol warmth. This is a very good session beer, but not the enormous hop bomb that typically defines the style. A sixer is easily drinkable.

3.93/5  rDev -4.1%

Nice amber color thick rich head that stuck to the side of the glass almost staining it. Almost sweet smell maybe a little hint of pine. Nice citrus taste butt the hops were almost overpowering at first butt after a few seemed to flow nicely. not a bad beer even when it warmed up still had a nice flavor!!

1.7/5  rDev -58.5%

Hmm... interesting smell, I thought. A sweet lager-type of aroma, with just a hint of something that reminds me of macro adjuncts. Then I tasted it. This is one of the few beers that I have ever poured out for any reason other than being too drunk to finish it. The sticky-sweet canned pineapple taste is overwhelming, and nearly made me retch right there, but then the hops came rumbling in. Normally when I think of hoppy beer, I think of Sam Adams or Goose Island or Sierra Nev PA - a little harsh and painful on the jaw after drinking several, but overall well-balanced and non-offensive - they taste good. Hop Wallop doesn't have that kind of hop flavor. The hops are bitter, aggressive, and overall very nasty.

The best thing I can say about drinking this is that it tastes like Pineapples smothered in salt and Crisco.

3.98/5  rDev -2.9%

Crystal clear amber light copper sheen revealing no carbonation bubbles topped off by a statuesque ivory off white 1/2 " cap is going nowhere fast. Tons of foamy lace. One slight swirl in the glass erupts a frothy foam.

Head cap almost detracts from the aromas of hops (not sure which are used) and some vanilla ice cream malts.

First swigs: Liquid hop lurking in the front with a malt back peeking out. 8.5% ABV is detectable. Sweet grassy pine notes. Bone dry aftertaste and tea leaf hop oil sizzle.

Feel is medium with sticky sweet hop oil but not quite a hop magnet. Plenty of sizzle.

Last swigs: Barely a double IPA. Forgo the "last year" hooey. This year is grass hops like 90 minute w/out the malt back. Kicked in $5 a pint at local Union Jacks.

Beer is good. Happy beering.

4.52/5  rDev +10.2%

Smelled very crisp from the moment I opened the bottle. High-hop beers always seem to have a "clean" scent cutting right through any flavors I may have had in my mouth recently. The beer was a deep gold with a just-barely-offwhite head that lasted quite a while and laced firmly to the glass. On my lips I can taste the plant-like sweetness that I dislike in a beer like Dogfish's 120 Minute, but it immediately gives way to the biting, fresh taste of hops (wish I knew my hop varietals a little better). I can taste a citrusy flavor at the top of my mouth (but it's not oranges... maybe grapefruit? I don't know--I don't eat grapefruits). The beer fills my mouth without being too heavy or cloying, and the alcohol warms the palate quite a bit. Aftertaste reminds me of white grape juice with some of the sugar removed.

I really enjoyed this beer and will definitely buy it again.

3.85/5  rDev -6.1%

Pours a cloudy light amber with a sticky white head.

Citrussy hop nose with fruity hints. Not nearly as hoppified as I expected.

Starts out hoppy enough, with a healthy dose of malty sweetness, then comes a hard-nosed, full-on grapefruit hop pounding. Ah, that's the wallop apparently. Cool.

Crisp on the tongue and oily at the finish. This beer seems to have two stages of everything.

Pretty easy to drink, but I wouldn't try pounding these down all day long.

3.3/5  rDev -19.5%

Tasted a glass at the Victory event in NYC. I was looking forward to getting my hands on this ale, and I ended up somewhat disappointed. There was a lack of body, a thinness, which made the hoppiness evaporate after the first moments of sipping. Nice aroma, but the flavor just did not follow through. I'd call this more drinkable if it wasn't so high in alcohol. Not bad, but not what I expected.

4.75/5  rDev +15.9%

Presentation: 12oz brown bottle poured into a nonic imperial pint glass.

Appearance: Hazy bright orange with numerous bubbles floating up the sides to a moderately sized white head. Like carbonated apricot juice, as strange as that would be.

Smell: Mainly pine and sweet citric aromas. Yes, there are a lot of hops in this stuff. Despite the ABV, there is no scent of alcohol.

Taste: As advertised, hops are clearly in the driver's seat. Unlike other beers of the style, however, the malt content isn't relegated to the role of a mere hop juice delivery system. While I'd hesitate to call this balanced, the Wallop is the closest I've tasted in a double IPA. As to specifics, I was immediately hit by a huge grapefruit and pine needle flavor, no doubt courtesy of Pacific Northwest hops. There is an undercurrent of honey-like malt character, gently leading the imbiber to a bitter end.

Mouthfeel: Fuller bodied and creamier than the appearance suggests, as if it were an IPA crossed with a Belgian tripel.

Drinkability/comments: While I wasn't lucky enough to taste last year's version, which many claim was much better, I'd have to say this is the best double IPA I've had thus far. Over time I've had quite a few, and through intensive scientific analysis have concluded that it is very quaffable.

3.05/5  rDev -25.6%

Ouch! That hurts.
Well, it has a nice look to it. Golden yellow with a big creamy head. The aromas are intense and interesting. Grassy and herbal, piney and unrelentingly hoppy. What a surprise. I swear I can almost see resins beginning to crystalize on the lip of the glass.
The first sip is overpoweringly medicinal. Actually unpleasant. For me this wallop is way over the top, all out of balance. Although I love a good IPA, I suppose I'm not a hophead. However, I'm open-minded and I'll try this again, along with others of the ilk.

4.08/5  rDev -0.5%

Twelve ounce brown bottle. Best by date printed on label.

Pale straw gold in colour. Dense, creamy looking white head that will no quit. Sheets of sticky lace decorate the glass.

Sticky pine & aromas of orange fill the nose.

Subtle hints of biscuit pass by in a flash. Resinous pine & loads of citrus take over. Splashes of fruit work in & out. Somewhat green & vegetal aftertaste lingers briefly. Medium fbodied, smooth, moderate carbonation. I think I'll go pick some hops leaves out of my teeth now.

4.65/5  rDev +13.4%

I'll put it this way, after checking this site for the last few months, Hop Wallop is the beer I decided to write my first review about. I like my IPAs the way I like my action movies. Big explosion in the very beginning, followed by an introduction of the individual characters and their qualities.

Beers like this I enjoy in a congac glass... maybe I just like the way it looks, but I swear it brings the smell to a point that I taste each drink before it reaches my lips.

The initial taste is so citrusy and bitter it 'hops' to the back of my tounge and lets those slow malty flavors catch up with the rest a second later.

Though Hop Wallop's head is rather thin, the lace of sip-rings around my glass reminds me of how each sip gets longer and deeper and more appreciated.

There's a lot of complexity here and I don't know where to start. I'm reminded of Weyerbacher's Hops Infusion, though I feel like this has more punch. I give it high marks for mouthfeel because it really tingles every part of my mouth from my lips to the back of my throat, like those tiny carbonated bubbles can't stop popping with hidden flavors.

Drinkability? Gosh there's very few beers I'd rather spend a night drinking, though one night this week after only 4 Wallops I decided to go to a bar to find something with a lower alcohol content. Sure, I can handel a 8.5% beer, but killing a 6pack would be a chore.

Blame it on my sense for immediate satisfication or on years of hot sauce abuse, but I get real excited about the spicy richness that IPAs offer. Victory really did a great job here... this is the big brother of Hop Devil and its name is fitting.

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

Presentation: 12oz. bottle with an old man smacking his lips on the label. Says it is a very hoppy ale, stamped with a Enjoy by date May 22, 05.

Appearance: medium fluffly white head that rests gently on top of the beer like a cloud. Good retention and massive lacing. Clear golden orange with a little chill haze.

Smell: Very citrusy hop smell, mild piney notes, with the malt in the background. Kinda spicy, but it could just be the 8.5% ABV that lurks within.

Taste: Starts with a very brief flash of sweet malt, and then the hops take over. Bitterness gradually gets stronger and stronger and stronger. Lots of citrus and piney hop flavor with an oily and resiny kind of quality. The flavor fades in the end just leaving you with an intense bitterness all over your tongue, comprable what you get after eating a high alpha acid hop pellet.

Mouthfeel: Light carbonation, but it has a full body. Leaves a drying and a very faint astringency.

Notes: Alcohol is barely detectable in the taste and combined with the light carbonation very drinkable. Definitely warms you up on a cold and rainy day like today. Extremely well balanced with the hop bitterness, flavor, and aroma. I would like to see a little bit more malt, but a very fine American IIPA.

4.23/5  rDev +3.2%

Smuggled into Utah from Boston, let's see how it held up on the journey...
Pours a gorgeous copper apricot with a tall, thick, creamy, light tan head that stays all night. Sweetish cookie malt backbone, with a very flowery, citric hop component. Taste starts with solid malt; cookie batter, and light toffee/butterscotch. Hops come on strong, with nice piney flavors at first, followed by a sharp acidic citrus bite. Wow. Finishes like grapefruit juice with some lingering malt and a warming alcohol groove. Medium-bodied, with a creamy feel. Good carbonation and a dry finish. Nice, but not the best DIPA I've had.

4.15/5  rDev +1.2%

Thanks to Oliver Twist!

Pours a hazy, golden beer with some foam that settles on top lifted by medium carbonation. Some sediment in there.

Smell comes on like cheese. After reading here i might aggree to say grapefruit which probably comes from the Cascade? Very powerful though with some more citrus and huge citric hoppiness. Some prinkling carbonation in there. Huge hop oils together with powerful lemon and lime peel.

Taste comes on thick and bitter. Rich, somewhat prickly due to carbonation and citric. Lingers sweet on palatte to burst away a cascade of bitter traces and different malty feels like those of citrus, pine and grassy hay ;) Finishes soothing bitter and quite long lasting as well.

Extremely potent brew with lot of flavours. The smell came on quite funky in the beginning though, not to my liking.

Double ipa? yeah, tasty as well and i might just give it another go.

Pours a clear light copper, aroma of pine and citrus, hops and hops and more hops, nice white head with large bubbles that leaves a good lacing in my glass, sticky pine and grapefruit hoppy flavors with some malt sweetness to balance this hop monster out a bit, medium body with a thick and sticky mouthfeel, finishes bitter, nice.

2.3/5  rDev -43.9%

Maybe I got a bad bottle, but this stuff is not nearly as good as I've been led to believe.

Beer poured clear light yellow with minimal head. Looked almost like an adjunct lager, but the yellow was a little more intense.

Smell was perhaps the strangest I've ever come across. I know it sounds bizarre but the smell reminded me more of canned pineapple than anything else. Not particularly pleasant.

Taste was strange, harsh and unforgiving. If that was hops, they were like no other hops I've ever had before.

I need to try this again, preferably on tap, but until then, I recommend against this one.

4.06/5  rDev -1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a good double IPA but not as good as some others have proclaimed. Great look with a sick head which looks like melted marshmallow and lasts the entire pint. Yellow body. Looks much lighter than most other IPA's. Floral aroma with some spice, cocoa, some grassiness, but something odd too - kinda like leather or horse stable? wierd. Taste is all hops of course. Lip smacking flavor but missing that piney oily taste. Its just citrus and clean hop bitterness. I was looking for something more complex. Alcohol hidden well. Mouthfeel is very smooth with stickiness in the finish. Yeah, I can drink this one all day, but I can drink a lot of beers all day. This double IPA is definitely good, but it's not amazing so dont get your hopes up that much.

Additional note: watch out this beer kicks your ass at 8.5% ABV. Im feeling it after two pints... big time

4.3/5  rDev +4.9%

Pours a slightly hazed, goldenrod yellow body with a lasting, one centimeter offwhite head. Generous deposits of patch lace are all over the glass. Good looking Double IPA.
Grapefruit fronts a vivid hops presence that has some grassy notes to back up the assertive citrus.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied, with active carbonation and a mild hops sting on the tongue.
Taste has a caramel malt backbone that is a cameo player here. Bitter citrusrind, grassy and pine notes are centerstage, with grapefruit hoppiness in the lead role. Dry and bitter hops finish and citrusy aftertaste. Alcohol is cleverly concealed.
A good wallop of hops in this one. Well constructed, and very enjoyable Double IPA here. Quite sessionable. Thanks to mtnlover for bringing this bottle by.

3.38/5  rDev -17.6%

Head wonderfully creamy, leaving impressively foamy lace. Golden. Aroma of piney alcoholic grapefruit. Slightly erotic herbs and squeezed lemon with a little mustiness. On the tongue this "very hoppy ale" was full-figured, moist, and slightly dense, just like a good homemade bread. As the finish nears, a crushed aspirin takes over with hints of cough syrup alcohol. This tastes like cactus juice. It also tastes like one of the magic healing elixers I used to buy at the circus back in the 1870s. Overall funky, long-lasting, and pretty good.

[batch fall 2004, drink by April 26 2005]

4.2/5  rDev +2.4%

Pours a clear golden straw color with a white head that falls to a ring of foam with clumps of foam floating in the middle leaves a light coating of lace on the way down.
Aroma if hops herbal, earthy, grassy type mixed with hints of floral undertones on top of a sweet malt backdrop make for a diffrent and intersting for a I2PA. Overall smell is little subuded compared to others but might have to due with the type of hops used.
Taste is sweet and biscuit like malt before the hops take over. Grassy earthy flavors with some fruity pear like flavors also in the mix. Finishes with a herbal bitterness almost medicine like not bad. Overall tastey and diffrent not what I was expecting at all, doesn't live up to the hype but still is a good beer.
Mouthfeel is creamy like but not as heavy feeling as others kind of strange to be creamy and little light at the same time.
Drinkability is good did not notice it was 8.5 untill looking no alcohol in the smell or taste. A good drinkable beer wish I had more nice change from my usual doubles. Thanks to kegerator for the samples.

Hop Wallop from Victory Brewing Company