Hop Wallop - Victory Brewing Company

Hop WallopHop Wallop

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-17-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Wallop Alström Bros
Suds

4.25/5  rDev +3.7%

After reading a lot about this beer, I was excited to finally get a six-pack and try some. It pours an extraordinarily clear, light-orange color with a notably thick, foamy, white head. Great lace. The aroma is not exactly what I expected, but an intense citrus, orange-like, fruity, peppery smell. The citrus-like character is present in the flavor as well, with serious grapefruit and lemon. It’s also very well balanced with a nice maltiness. It’s bitter from the first sip, and the finish is amazingly long and lingering. It’s moderately carbonated, and has a solid, full mouthfeel. Hops are certainly the centerpiece, but I was impressed with how well they are balanced. Overall, I thought that the beer was solid and very drinkable, but probably not quite up to the hype.

11-13-2004 14:17:41 | More by Suds
edchicma

4.63/5  rDev +12.9%

I saved this brew for my 500th point and it was worth it! This has got to be one of the best hophead lover's delight. On tap at the Moan and Dove in Amherst, MA...thanks guys? This brew is just plain hoppy and dry, dry, dry....it dried my upper palate like a shot of whiskey and did the same down my throat. The only thing less than spectacular was the smell, which was still superb. It poured a medium gold with great lacing. Citrus hops were evident in the smell. The taste of the hops were there from start to finish...great!!!
Mouthfeel is dry, dry, dry...I loved it! Drinkability is a hophead's delight...this brew is a must for hop lovers.

11-13-2004 01:38:20 | More by edchicma
francisweizen

Alaska

3.4/5  rDev -17.1%

On-Tap at the sunset grill, in Allston (Boston)

Two words. What happened? This beer is completely different than the two limited Hop Wallop batches of 2003! The appearance is OK, but it is a little muddy, and the head did not last as long as I remembered. The aromas of this years batch were very subdued and even a bit malty. Where are all the fresh citrusy/piney hops!? They have been replaced with the aroma of "hot" alcohol! The taste is also not as I remember it....where are the hops!? This brew is not very hoppy at all, in fact it is very boozy and quite malty on the finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, but a bit sharp and hard to handle. "prickly" one could say. The drinkability remains good, as this is still an OK (if hot) beer, but where is my precious Hop Wallop!?

11-12-2004 22:28:11 | More by francisweizen
SixpointJMH

4.22/5  rDev +2.9%

pours a surprisingly crisp and clear light amber to golden colour. head is nice and fluffy and sticky. not as hearty looking as i had hoped and expected. the smell is just wonderous. hops abound, mixed in with pine, some sweet citrus notes and some floral notes as well. just strong and awesome. very autumn-esque. the flavour is clearly hop straight though, but starts with more of a pine flavour before moving into a bit of juicy sweetness and finishing with a bit of a bready, though still semi-sweet, touch. a bit of malt cuts through here and there to provide a bit of balance as well. alcohol warmth is present throughout and maybe could be toned down a bit, but really just a slight touch at most. no complaints at all about it overall. a very nice double ipa overall. maybe not the end-all brew it was made out to be, but damn tasty nonetheless.

11-12-2004 03:31:36 | More by SixpointJMH
WanderingFool

4.33/5  rDev +5.6%

I found a six pack of Hop Wallop at a store down the street from the Belgian Beer Fest. Talk about a great day!

The beer pours an extremely clear straw yellow color with a frothy white head on top. A strong aroma of grapefruit citrus with notes of alcohol hovers over the beer.

Each sip of this medium to full bodied beer is smooth and creamy on the palate. The flavor is mostly grapefruit citrus, but notes of pepper and bubblegum come through. There seems to be a dry malt in the background holding everything together. A citrus hop flavor lingers after each sip.

This is one smooth great tasting beer, however the strong hop flavor and higher alcohol flavor takes something away from the drinkability.

11-12-2004 01:00:29 | More by WanderingFool
heidelbeerg

3.68/5  rDev -10.2%

Poured a pale color with a thick white head that retains well. Smell is sweet malts and grapefruit. The taste is a very hop heavy citrus like bite at first and malts show up in the finish. The mouthfeel is nice and smooth. The drinkability is pretty good. Overall a little too hoppy for my taste but this is well worth a try. Victory has some great beers.

11-11-2004 05:22:09 | More by heidelbeerg
oxmasterscream

4.88/5  rDev +19%

Appearance: Pours a very clear, golden copper with a thick, creamy white head that coats the glass on the way down.

Smell: Huge grapefruit aromas combined with some spicy and light floral hop aromas. After a while, a very subtle and gentle malt aroma began to show through; think pink grapefruit drizzled with honey. Exactly what something called "Hop Wallop" should smell like.

Taste: Right off, you're punched in the mouth by spicy, almost peppery hops and a bag of juicy pink grapefruits. That's followed by a beautifully subtle honey-sweet malt flavor, that combined with the pink grapefruit flavors is a knock-out. From there, you're left with a seriously solid bitter finish that coats the back of your mouth and throat and just begs you to take another drink. Near the end of the glass, the spicy part of the profile really stars to burn the crap out of your tongue and throat. Wicked stuff. So far, it's best in the bottle.

Mouth: The immediate feel is bright and crisp but within seconds of it touching your tongue, it becomes creamy, velvety and smooth. Perfect mouthfeel. If you take the time to enjoy this as you should, the high ABV isn't really detected until three quarters of the way through the glass, when a slight warming can be felt at the finish. If you drink it fast, you'd never realize the high ABV until you were finished.

Drinkability: This stuff is so good that you want one after another, even if it's a bad idea. I've been drinking it since it's been released and I can't seem to get enough of it. Seek it out while it's here (should be easier this time around).

Sidenote: I reviewed Hop Wallop on tap and gave it a lesser score; looking back, environmental interference was probably the reason - it's still amazing even with lots of sensory interference. To taste it's subtleties, it's probably best enjoyed in a quiet, peaceful, smoke-free environment. It's damn amazing.

11-09-2004 01:31:22 | More by oxmasterscream
ramrod666

4.63/5  rDev +12.9%

appearence is a dark cloudy copper with a huge billowing head bigger that the glass. lacing is like one of grandma's knit doilies.

smell is pine oil, citrus peel and hop goodness.

taste is awesome. hops dominate the palate with a big monster hoppieness that is stuck on the palate well into the next swallow. alcohol is barely present...even at 8.5abv.

mouthfeel is moderately carbonated with a perfect, not too syrupy, not too light.

drinkability is off the charts... for any hophead that is seriously into this amazin ' double ipa.

11-08-2004 01:11:02 | More by ramrod666
djeffbee

4.55/5  rDev +11%

You bashers are nuts - although there may be some merit - but you can blame your local bars. On election night, a local pub who thoroughly cleans their beer lines weekly served this amazing beer quickly after it's arrival. I personally had a crew from work on hand to demonstrate and taste how awesome this beer is. They all agreed - very comparable to Stone RIPA or Doggie 90. I then tried it from a yellow beer bar (PJ's for those PA/NJ peeps) who could care less about the taste and you could taste the difference. May be a sucky beer line cleaning sanitation job... Wonderful to look at and smell - amazing to taste. Yummy..

11-06-2004 02:44:28 | More by djeffbee
PatandDavid

3.73/5  rDev -9%

Oh, my marks are all over the place...that's because there were parts of this beer that rocked, and parts of this beer, that uh rolled. Let me adapt a beermail I exchanged with a few BAs for my review. There were some things I liked about it: Apearance wise: I liked the deep golden ginger ale color. I enjoyed the carbonation I could see clearly rising up in the glass. Came topped with a thin white head. I found it very drinkable/high drinkability. Seriously. I wanted another one, but decided to wait for the launch to get another one, and then that never happened. Also, it hid the alcohol well.

There were some things that weren't awesome. One was the aroma. I took the glass in hand, went sniff, and thought: what is that smell? Not whoa, that's hoppy, or mmm, rich malt, but: what is that? Low aroma for sure. Some acidity it seemed. So I racked my brain, and thought: what acids do I like? Balsamic, cider, lemon. Well it wasn't any of those, and then it hit me: it smelled very faintly of barf covered up by sawdust. Sorry, I know that sounds horrible, but that's what I thought.

The second thing that didn't stand out was the body ...medium to thin. I guess I expected a bit more substantialness in the mouthfeel. And also, even though I could see some good carbonation, I didn't experience it while drinking.

But I'll be damned if it wasn't drinkable. The hops to me weren't overwhelming, they were more of that distilled hop essence that you get with these higher abv brews...sorta making up the whole beer. The malt was there, but the over-all essence of hops was the beer. There was some citrus and pine in the finish. And while served at a great temp, as it warmed, and you got near the end, you thought, I want another.

11-05-2004 13:46:48 | More by PatandDavid
Billolick

4.18/5  rDev +2%

Had my first sample of the wallop on draft a few days ago at the Blind tiger in NYC. Never got a taste of last years product so I cant compare em. This is a fairly light/golden brew, clear with a white head. Moderate carbonation, nice tiny bubble film on tap and nice lacing is left behind. Strong nose of grainy hops. Hops and more hops carried the freight. Nice alcohol bite also lurking not to far from the middle. Love this style and loved this tasty, crisp, aggressively hoppy and flavorful brew. Looking forward to trying the bottled version.

11-05-2004 03:02:45 | More by Billolick
bultrey

3.8/5  rDev -7.3%

Over-rated! (clap, clap, clap-clap-clap)!
My much-anticipated first try of the Hop Wallop was served to me in a tulip glass at the Blind Tiger last night.
The first thing that struck me about this was the raw, herbaceous aroma. VERY herbaceous. Some of my BA colleagues on hand called my crazy, but I'll be damned if I didn't get a big dose of marijuana in the aroma.
The taste is soooo hop bitter. Having recently been turned on to some of the West coast hop monsters, I really thought I would like this, but for me, it was all bitterness with no flavor. Listen, I like spicy foods, too, but I like the FLAVOR of a jalapeno, not just the capsacin. I felt the same way about this beer. The hops were raw, grassy, herbaceous, and aggressive. Strangely, I also detected a flavor that I could only classify as "extra-sharp cheddar cheese," but I suspect that's the grassy-herbaceous thing. I also detected next to no malt, something that I want in my "Double IPA." The finish was long and lingering. Mouthfeel was fine, but drinkability suffers due to the bitter pill that this is.

Do I think this is a bad beer? No. Do I think it is a great beer? Also no.

11-04-2004 19:05:07 | More by bultrey
BCMan

3.78/5  rDev -7.8%

This beer was a deep honey color. Poured up with a fast fading frothy head. After settling for a moment the beer was cloudy.The nose was sweet with heavy hop notes. Big surprise, the taste was severely hoppy and sweet. The hops in this brew are so thick that you almost have to chew it. Finishes crisp with ligering hop flavor. Calling all Hop Heads!!! Calling all Hop Heads!!!

11-04-2004 18:49:35 | More by BCMan
carln26

Missouri

4.13/5  rDev +0.7%

There has been so much hype about this beer, so I couldn’t way to try it when I saw it on tap today at RedBones. It has a bright gold to copper with a white head and a surprising amount of champagne bubbles. Bright floral citrus aroma. The taste is indeed a wallop from hops, a real bitterness force. There is also a mild sourness. Not unpleasant, just there. Lace is left on the glass for each drink. It has a great mouth feel and is very drinkable for this bitter a beer. Does the beer match the hype, sorry. Not in my opinion. Good beer, not a great one.

10-31-2004 19:32:50 | More by carln26
Truh

New Hampshire

3.6/5  rDev -12.2%

Took a lickin’ but kept on tickin’ with this one on 10/30/2004. 16-oz. pint pour at ACPH.

1/8 inch fluff of initial set-up, and creamy in texture. A light hop profile to nose with some parallel notes of orange essence, clover honey, and a core of malt, though extremely subtle. On the mouth, sweet hop crank to start with other light notes really pulling through and making this “double” IPA a not-hop-bomb consisting of corriander, lemon grass, and light maple syrup. Although I have never consumed this before, I found it surprisingly light on the hop front considering its moniker. In fact, on that measure, I found the Smuttynose IPA putting it to shame, among many others. Expected more, given the hype.

10-30-2004 20:11:57 | More by Truh
Rastacouere

Quebec (Canada)

3.53/5  rDev -13.9%

The pour is a clear gold. Head is small and white. Pretty direct citric aroma with various lemon, grapefruit and hop concentrate notes. Alcohol is very well hidden though. Juicy mouthfeel, light to medium body feels mostly thin compared to the flavors’ intensity. Plasticy citric taste. Quite tart, very bitter. Feels mostly one-dimensional toward the citrusy/orange assortment and lacks any convincing malt department to be outstanding. Fairly well-made in the hop juice category. Thanks TAR.

09-27-2004 15:16:09 | More by Rastacouere
TastyTaste

4.83/5  rDev +17.8%

Pours a crystal clear copper color, "1 of slightly off white head, sticky lacing. Pure hop spiciness in the nose, slightly floral, slightly citrus, smells almost cinnamon. Taste is of the wall hops. They are everywhere. Not much of a noticable malt presence, because of the invasive hops. Aftertaste is pure hops, slight alcohol burning. Not as hoppy as Rogue's I2PA, but still sates my hopcraving.

09-07-2004 17:20:11 | More by TastyTaste
marc77

4.47/5  rDev +9%

Bottled 12/30/03. Lightly turbid pale bronze hue. Steadfast, dense and lofty ivory white head. Tattered lace remains. Burst of pink grapefruit and lemon oil upfront in aroma yields to a melange of minty ethanol and toasted malt. Softens as it breathes, with tangerine and light toffee hints surfacing agreeably. Welcoming aromawise. In flavor, incipient is a brief snap of light caramel sweetness. This is readily overrun by a surge, then lingering plateau of quinine and citrus pith bitterness. Hop flavor is of juicy, ripe lemon and sugar sprinkled grapefruit. Marmalade impressions abound. Surprisingly bereft of evergreen notes, save a trace pine needle hint. Full bodied and nearly perfectly dextrinous without any syrupy qualities in mouthfeel. Finishes surprisingly soft, with butterscotch sweetened biscuit and candied orange hints lingering. A delicious DIPA heavy handed in citrus character, shy in pine, and functional in malt character. Superlatively drinkable and approaching balanced, even. Reminescent of a more ballsy Bell's Two Hearted. Superbly crafted. Thanks to Buckeyenation for the delivery!

09-05-2004 00:04:50 | More by marc77
maybrick

4.58/5  rDev +11.7%

Fortunately for me, I live 8 minutes away from Victoryville and am there alot. The boys pulled out a 1/2 bbl on 8/23/2004 and I was there promptly at noon.

What can I say about one of the best brews ever brewed by one of the best breweries?

After looking cloesly at this 8 month old brew that was stored in a cooler I did notice a touch of chill haze. The physical stability of the beer was just on the edge. The color was still great. That's why I didn't give it a 5 for appearance.

The nose however was strong, bold, and was just like I remembered it when it came out the first time. This batch was defintely frist batch. Ron Barchet confirmed this by reminding me no second batch (the dry hopped version) was bottled exclusively.

The nose has hints of pine, grapefruit, and wonderful blended hops.

The taste was wonderful. It's mellowed NOT! It's still as bold, smack ya upside the head as ever. For those who love the turly hopped up brews, this one 's for you! Wow!

The mouthfeel was most pleasant and it is extremelty deceptive in terms of the ABV. No noticable alcohol burn on the way down.

3.5 for drinklability because of the ABV - this ain't no session beer!

Enjoy!

08-26-2004 12:41:54 | More by maybrick
AlexJ

4.38/5  rDev +6.8%

Am I really going to have to drive to PA this year to buy Hop Wallup? I can get every Victory in my store except this one. Too bad cuz I love this beer. No, it's not perfect but I am very fond of the grapefruit /citrus and resinous pine you find in this IPA. Did I mention how hoppy this is! After warming up a bit in a goblet, the hops smack you in the face. Warming, but deceptively so. It would be too easy to drink this all night! I've only had the pleasure once when a friend was good enouth to share his, it created quite an impression.

08-25-2004 18:22:56 | More by AlexJ
rajendra82

Georgia

4.38/5  rDev +6.8%

The beer came in a 12 oz. brown bottle with a brewed on date of December 30, 2003, courtesy of Lupe and BIF 10. The bottle had the legend of “Hop” Wallop printed in nearly unreadable font, but who buys bottles for light reading anyway, so I moved on to the main attraction. The body of the beer was apricot orange in color with a lot of cloudiness as a result of my preference of pouring the yeast in an IPA into the glass. The head on the beer was tall and crowning, and made it look a bit over carbonated. The head died down in a little while and left a lot of sticky lace on the sides of the goblet. The aroma was powerful green spicy hops with a solid caramel malt backbone. The taste was sweeter than I anticipated, with a lot of orange, peach, candied apples, and apricot fruitiness. The hop bitterness was quite subdued (which may have been the result of aging). The mouthfeel was soft and chewy and a lot “wetter” than most other beers in the style. There was some peppery spiciness in the aftertaste, but under the sweet coating that the beer put on my throat, it too was also quite secondary. This beer hides the 8.5% ABV alcohol very well under the rich malt, and is quite an approachable double IPA.

08-13-2004 03:24:58 | More by rajendra82
BrewMaster

3.78/5  rDev -7.8%

Good looking beer with a bit too much carbonation. But the carbonation dissipates fast to a mellow flow.

I tasted this along side Pizza Port Frank Double IPA and it could not hold a candle to Frank. The flavor was nice but a bit weak on the hops and not really any malty flavor. This is not a bad beer at all, but it is not an exceptional beer either.

08-12-2004 03:20:26 | More by BrewMaster
wyllder

4.2/5  rDev +2.4%

First off: Big thanks to BuckeyeNation for the chance to sample this brew.

Pours a murky golden amber with little to no head. Leaves plenty of sticky white lacing as you go.

Nose is fairly strong with grapefruit hops mingled with some damp-hay style muskiness.

First hit on the palate is more of the citrus bitterness from the nose. The bitterness backs off a bit on the midsip and that muskiness comes up center stage. Aftertaste is a jump back to the citrus bitterness again.

Overall, a solid offering from Victory. I think I still prefer Dreadnaught as far as DIPAs go, but then I haven't tried this fresh. I'll re-review when I do.

Wyll-

07-31-2004 13:59:57 | More by wyllder
NearerMyBeerToMe

4.13/5  rDev +0.7%

Pours nicely; an initally well-bolstered eggshell-white head evaporates dissapointingly quickly to about a quarter inch of foam, although with significant clumping and tenacious crusting in the process. A handful of streamers mosey up through a dull, matte bronze-colored liquid; when held to light, copper highlights strain to shine around the edges of a glass murky with floating sediments. Served cool, the aroma starts by rolling up sharp and fruity (citrus: orange more than grapefruit), lingers with a body full enough to be called "fleshy" and nectarine-ish, and tapers off tartly. Too much body in the nosefeel to be called "floral," but with warmth, suggestions of pollen and pine (minus the "snap" of pine) emerge. Flavor is deeply balanced, with sourish hops dominating over a rugged maltiness suggestive of brown or raw sugars. With time, hops get harsher, with a poignant, punchy bitterness high and at the roof of the mouth pushing maltiness first to the sides of the palate and eventually off the edge. A hint of clover, even? Mouthfeel is well-rounded, with hop flavor sticking smoothly, solidly to palate after each sip; lacks the "shellacky" quality of some of the other boundary-pushing IPAs. I'm ready for another, but I think more than two bottles in one sitting would be too much (in terms of both palate fatigue and alcohol content). This sample was six months old; I think that after aging, the beer's remarkable balance may have been achieved at the sacrifice of the initial flavors' intensities. I greatly look forward to tasting a fresh sample. Good stuff.

07-09-2004 00:04:02 | More by NearerMyBeerToMe
egajdzis

3.8/5  rDev -7.3%

Poured a dark golden color with a nice white head and beautiful lacing. Sweet, hoppy, citrusy aroma. Citrusy, grapefruit, sharp fresh hop taste with a smooth malty sweet background. Very full/coating mouthfeel. I enjoy this as much as I would Dreadnaught or Ruination. The 03 vintage rocks, the 04 however, sucks :(

06-26-2004 14:57:56 | More by egajdzis