Hop Wallop - Victory Brewing Company

Hop WallopHop Wallop

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-17-2003)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Wallop Alström Bros
3.83/5  rDev -6.6%

Yes, bold. Pine. Some high alcohol. Sweet and citrussy lemon and grapefruit. A lemon and a white head. Dry bitter aftertaste.I've of course had it since, including 8 years later. A nice drinkability, despite the IBU. Not much retaned head. A classic.

3.68/5  rDev -10.2%

Pours a pale gold with a creamy white head and absolutely no carbonation. Head subides quickly with faint traces of lace spatterings.

Aroma is unique ; herbal and pungant but not the citrus and pine Ive come to expect from these hop exstravaganzas. Hop varieties to me smell German- a definate departure from the norm these days.

Flavor is obviously hop dominated and while this beer was only slightly below room temp., it was difficult for any malt to make its presence known. Faint and unimpressive sugary sweetness for a split second up front, but then husky grain flavor is the only evidence of barley I could find . More grassy and herbal hop flavors grab the tongue but then dissapear abruptly leaving a surprisingly mild bitter finish. This beer really lacks balance and screams for more malt and a higher ending gravity IMHO.

The most interesting thing about this beer is the lack of overwhelming hop bittering at the finish. Most of the hop character is found in the flavoring and sharp bite before the swallow. I would be interested in the hop varieties used as this beer is quite different from the plethora of Double IPA's available lately.

A nice beer and a different twist on a " new" style, but I dont get all the hype. Give me a Hop Devil anyday over this.

3.73/5  rDev -9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

good beer, although a bit strong to drink a lot. golden straw like in color with a nice white head, about 3 fingers from a fairly aggressive pour. hops are good in the aroma: piney, grapefruit. high bitterness levels, with a strong sweetness from adjuncts (seemingly lots of them, like corn sugar or something). good beer, but i think i liked it better last year.

4.25/5  rDev +3.7%

Pours a clear golden hue with a terrific looking large, white head and lot’s of lacing. Grapefruit aroma along with loads of hops. The taste is sweet and hoppy. Little malt flavor, but plenty of hops. Bitter finish. Medium to full mouthfeel. Oily feeling in the mouth. High level of carbonation. At 8.5%, the alcohol is very noticable. Flavorful, but not complex. A good choice if you love hops.

4.3/5  rDev +4.9%

Poured out an orange/dark gold color with a decent size head that left a good about of lacing around the glass. Wasn't cloudy at all, I could see through the glass.

Smell was all hops. Lots of pine aromas along with a good dose of citrus aromas. It's a bit on the sweet side, but nothing to complain about. A hint of grapefruit and orange hangs around in the background.

Taste was good. Lots of flavors, but oh so subtle and soft. My kind of Double IPA. Floral, citrusy, juicy hops attack the palate, but again, it's soft, but very flavorful. Malts come in the middle and balance it out pretty good. Finished with some piney flavors.

Mouthfeel was very good in this beer. It was very soft and gentle on the palate, and quite smooth and creamy. Carbonation is controlled.

One of the better double IPA. Everyone should try this beer once.

3.85/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The beer pours clear and golden with a beautiful white head. The first smells are interesting , a little fruity. But the taste is overwhelmingly bitter and hoppy ( but what would you expect ?).

I like it but I don’t know if I could drink too many in one sitting.

This beer will warm you up quickly.

4.22/5  rDev +2.9%

On cask. An amber yellow color, rich fluff of white turns into rings of lace as I drink the glass down. Real hoppy smell, like a flower garden. Taste is smooth, lots of hops with a bit of malt to maintain a delicious balance. Not so easy to drink a lot of these, its pretty strong but a great beer.

4.43/5  rDev +8%

My long awaited first Hop Wallop...here it goes!! Pours a shiny golden neon orange with small white head. Citrusy, fresh cut grassy hoppiness with hints of lemon, orange and grapefruit.

First sip is a nice shot of citrusy, grassy/piney hops. A swirling blend of orange and graperfruit notes dance across my palate before the biterness hits on the back. A nice caramel biscuity malt attempts to break out through the hops. Yummy.

Mouthfeel is nice with a creamy texture...but a little thin for me. I look for a bit more body in my double ipa's. Drinkability is excellent...a tasty brew that I could easily make a session out of. Thanks to blitheringidiot for the opportunity.

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

Victory Hop Wallop:

Crystal clear gold pour under a two inch head that looks just so fine. I can read this review through the glass…inverted, but clear as the Connecticut winters are cold. Citrus hop aroma is unmistakable. I can’t freakin’ wait to taste this…mmm oily, hoppy and WOW- good. Where to start? First of all, I cracked this beauty at about 57 degrees. And damn, the oiliness leaps onto the tongue and just hangs there with the viscosity of warm tupelo honey…is there any other? Grapefruit rind hoppiness is big and bold. There may be a hint of malt here, but I think it is just a fuckin’ hop in disguise. This is HopDevil on freakin’ steroids…seek it, buy it, drink it, love it.

Cheers…

3.9/5  rDev -4.9%

The first bottle I had was after a few Bitter Woman's and Celebration's and I thought the hop load was disappointing..I opted to not review that night for fear of a blasted palate and that was probably wise...this has plenty of hop goodness to it...not the most amazing creation on earth but enjoyable...bottle says best by April 05...

Pours a very clear, light yellow..nose is pungent...leafy...tobacco..canibus...flavor begins sweet and floral..backed by almost a candy like sweetness..the long finish has a good hit of piney tight hops...body is medium..perhaps on the lighter side of medium..for a DIPA this is not particularly hefty (which is OK by me)...

Really a nice bitter finish...relatively complex....interesting for sure...I'd enjoy a six pack of this every year but would chose the west coast offerings over this if push came to shove.

3.5/5  rDev -14.6%

Pours an utterly standard gold color. Fair amount of lacing. Smells hoppy, natch, mostly pine and grapefruit. Taste is the same, very hoppy, with mostly bitter grapefruit flavors dominating. Alcohol is quite present.

I hate to say it, but I'm not impressed with this beer. It's just too bitter, but not in a lipsmackingly good way. I won't be buying this one again.

I love the label though.

4.15/5  rDev +1.2%

Bought a case of this as I didn't want to miss out on this seasonal brew, and it appeared that it was quite limited last year. Label says enjoy by April '05.

From the bottle it pours a light golden body topped by a thin white head. Side by side comparison shows it lighter in color to its Hop Devil sibling which is more amber.

This brew smells like a what it might be like to be lost in a hop forest. From the first whiff I can tell this is a double IPA.

Taste: Malt, not so much, hops -> ummmhmmm. Considering the high ABV of this beer it doesn't taste like that, and that's a good thing. I am a big fan of Victory's Hop Devil and this is like Hop Devil that's been brewed at BALCO. JUICY!

Overall, it is a very enjoyable beer and I would order this first if I saw it on tap 4 out of 5 times, but I don't think I would want to drink more than 2 pints of this brew as far as drinkability goes.

4.7/5  rDev +14.6%

The beer pours a gold color with a thick frothy white head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is awesome. It has a pale malt scent along side of a kick ass hop aroma. It has an intense citrus hop aroma. The taste is perfect. It has a rich pale malt flavor with a very bitter hop aftertaste. It goes down easy and finishes smooth. The mouthfeel is excellent also. It is a full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a damn good beer. It has awesome flavor and aroma; a good drinker.

3.9/5  rDev -4.9%

Had this on tap the other night while at Mahar’s. The brew poured to a cloudy golden color with a nice thick head that left light lacing through out the brew. The aroma is over the top with Hop! Holy cow, the people with me could smell the hops and they where across the table! The aroma’s are of pine, grapefruit and lemon with a light alcohol smell. Not a bad smelling brew but probably has the most hop smell that I have come across yet. The taste is similar to the aroma’s, the hop flavors knock you for a loop and I can’t say that I picked up much of a malt flavor, but did notice a alcohol type after taste. All I can say is that I am glad that this was my last offering of the night because for the next few hours all I could taste was hop residue! A good brew, but not completely what I am looking for. Glad I was able to give it a try and will have it again!

4.58/5  rDev +11.7%

Presentation: 12 oz. bottle, poured into a tulip glass.

Appearance: A beautifully clear and clean looking beer with a radiant golden hue. Pours with a very healthy, lasting head, producing a fine lacing on the glass.

Smell: Citrusy hops dominate the beer's aroma, with notes of pine, lemon and some clove.

Taste: Moderate carbonation with a medium but clean mouthfeel. Up front, the taste buds are nicely assaulted with an intense hop blast of piney, citrus overtones. This is balanced out with a biscuity backbone and finish.

Overall: This is an amazing double IPA -- one of the best American double IPA's available. Drink with care -- 8.5% ABV.

3.53/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Hop bomb baby - pours a blend of straw and copper, decent white head that dissipates quickly. The aroma is pine, grapefruit, hop resin. The mouthfeel is a little this for a beer this high in alcohol and there is not nearly enough malt to create a balanced beer that i could drink more than oen or two of. Any malts present are totally drowned out by the stinging hop flavor. The hops linger way after the beer goes down and almost presents a heartburn aftertaste. I had last years edition in a trade and the beer semed less "green". Never the less, this beer is as advertised and is a definite hop wallop

4.72/5  rDev +15.1%

Enjoy by Apr 28 05. Nice and fresh. Pours an incredibly clear amber-orange with a white head on the fizzy side. Serious raw flowery hop aroma. Wow on the hops here. I'm trying to judge the mouthful but hell, the massive hops are too distracting. Citrus hops - orange, lemon, with a sweet malt backbone. I read all about the hype on this so I made it a point to stay objective, and I gotta say, this is very tasty. Don't drink it too fast though. Savor this one a little. Nice alcohol kick livens things up even more. Hop burps galore. A palate killer if I've ever had one. I'm going back and buying a case.

3.1/5  rDev -24.4%

Slight copper tinge with a huge white head. It could be mistaken for a german pilsner.

Citrus hop smell. Smells good but not really the over-the-top hop aroma I had been expecting.

The first sip is weird. Citrus acidity with bitterness, no real malt character. The second sip reveals the backbone, but with a very apparent bitterness. By the third sip I can find more malt sweetness, but the hop never fades. Very unbalanced and one dimensional. The alcohol is well hidden though.

A bit thin for a regular IPA, nevermind a double.

I think I would get burned out on this beer after a couple (or maybe this one).

I LOVE hops, but I also love character. Ultimately, hop wallop is a boring hop-bomb. Worth the experience, considering the hype, but I wish I had bought a single.

4.58/5  rDev +11.7%

Presentation: 12 oz brown bottle with the interesting cartoon. Purchased with a few other seasonal brews while on a recent trip up to Wells Discount Liquors. Currently on “sale” for $8 a six pack.

Appearance: Pours a slightly tarnished golden color with a healthy off tan head. Creamy, sticky lacing was evident throughout.

Smell: Smells super hop oily, with green hops and pinecones.

Taste: Don’t be fooled by the name, this is an intense, but wonderfully complex, beer. It isn’t one-sided and extremely hoppy, but has a sturdy malty body that exists as a firm biscuit undertone to the hops. And the wallop is there too. Pine, citrus, and alcohol esters mix with the bready malts to sooth over your mouth.

Had a medium body with a finish like a fine extra virgin olive oil. Not bitter and astringent, but smooth and creamy, without any acidic after thoughts.

Notes: Yet another amazing beer from Victory. Even more amazing is that it lived up to all the hype I’ve seen on the site. I almost didn’t buy it, thinking that it was an overwhelming hop explosion that would burn my taste buds dry for days, leaving me a beer-drinking shell. This is a wonderfully crafted beer and would go extremely well with food (had mine with pierogies and with nachos), with other beers, and as a session. I will be pained to save any in the cellar without drinking them all.

4.22/5  rDev +2.9%

The beer poured crystal clear pale golden with an off-white head which was frothy and moussy and both coated and laced the glass.

The aroma was grassy, citrusy and floral hops. Dry hop aroma was most prevalent. As the beer warmed and the head fell the malt presence was noticeable behind the hop presence.

The flavor was hops. The hop flavor was well balanced with malt and the bittering was well accomplished. The hop presence was citrusy and grassy with that same floral component in the background for good measure. The hops and malt could not hide the alcohol which is the only detractant in the flavor.

The finish was just dry with lasting hop bittering, grassy and citrusy long into the aftertaste. The body was medium full and well done, the alcohol was a bit on the hot side and left more than a warming impression, almost a burning sensation in the throat. The alcohol does detract a smidge from the flavor, but not from the drinkability. Burn baby burn...

12 ounce bottle. Enjoy by May 04 05 on label. Nice to see a beer made with mainly malt, a bit of crystal, and a ton of hops. It is not the most complex beer I have had, but a clear beer with higher alcohol, and nice hop presence deserves a decent rating.

4.47/5  rDev +9%

Considering the limited availability and the notice from Victory about the importance of aging, I figured I should finally get a case since I missed out last year.

Appearance - I was expecting more, honestly. From what I've seen in the past the appearance doesn't rank as high as I wanted. Not as hazy as I was expecting, and the head was fairly thin and white. Still pretty good, though.

Smell - Beautiful. Fragrant hops and mild bitterness. A field of flowers.

Taste - Extremely delicious. Smell carries over into the taste, and the bitterness is the perfect compliment to how flavorful the hops infusion is in the beer. Everything is better as it warms, and I'm curious to crack one open at cellar temperature next time. Alcohol is also not evidenced very well; it's hidden in the beautiful balance.

Mouthfeel - Definitely nothing wrong with it. Coats the mouth in flavor. Not too carbonated. Great overall.

Drinkability - I gave the drinkability a 4 for some good reasons. At 8.5%, clearly you don't want to make it a session beer. It's also so good that it needs to be sipped and had very slowly to really enjoy the flavors as it warms. Then again, it's so tasty that it's hard to only have just one.

I paid about $32 for a case. I recommend a purchase for sure if you're a fan of hoppy beers or IPA. I can't wait to see what happens over the next few years as I keep it in the cellar.

3.93/5  rDev -4.1%

Ok so I finally got my hands one of these after missing out last winter in its debut (and all the hype). Not sure how it compares to last year's version. But here it goes.

Pours a golden yellow-brown. Nice head. The smell is of the bittering hops and not so much aroma/flavoring hops in my opinion. I think this beer is bittered with chinook and/or maybe columbus hops. I don't really appreciate any cascades in this one. I feel the beer's hop presence is slightly overwhelming. Very little malt backbone if any at all. Taste is a bit stringent for my liking.

However, I felt the beer's drinkablity markedly improved as it sat in the glass for 10-15 mins. I suggest not drinking this ice cold but perhaps closer to 50F or so.

Overall, I think it is a worthy Victory beer but certainly not as impressive as I was expecting.

4.1/5  rDev 0%

This beer pours a nice bronze or honey hue, and from an aggressive pour I was able to get a 2-finger thick frothy head. There was good lacing as it went down the glass. The smell was sort of spicy, and a sort of apple-like hop aroma. The taste again, reminded me of apples, but was mostly a bittery hop citrus flavor. I think I also detected the slightest hint of malt too, but maybe I'm wrong. The mouthfeel was very well-balanced and had a definite hop aftertaste. My verdict: even though I'm not a hophead I still thought this was a pretty good beer.

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

Pours and looks much like HopDevil although I did not do a side-by-side comparision. Gentle fruity aroma of spruce, pine, and citric peels. On the palate steady hop bite but just enough malt to mild things out a bit. I did not realize it was 8.5% alcohol till I looked at the bottle later...fairly well hidden. Great brew.

4.58/5  rDev +11.7%

This beer pours a beautiful amber color, which completely belies the complexity behind it. From appearance alone, I expected something much simpler. The aroma of hops wafts from the pint glass as I pour this beer, but again, it only hints at what I'll find within. The aroma actually falls short of predicting the hop flavor I'll find here.

Upon tasting, this beer makes itself known. The hop flavor is astounding. You wouldn't expect this much hop flavor after seeing the clarity of this brew, nor sniffing its aroma from a pint glass. Bitterness is high to medium, and the malt support is adequate... meaning that hops dominate from start to finish, without being so over the top that I couldn't drink it at all.

Being a hophead, I could actually drink these all day. Wow, what a beer! Drinkability scores high here, simply because the bitterness behind this one is one to crave. I would compare it to what I find in Tupper's Hop Pocket, with a slight advantage in taste, but a major disadvantage in price.

You'd never know the alcohol content of this beer from the taste. The hops mask the alcohol nearly completely.

The price on the six pack is a bit high for the budget conscious, but I'd be way disappointed if I passed it up on that reason alone...

Hop Wallop from Victory Brewing Company