Hop Wallop - Victory Brewing Company

Hop WallopHop Wallop

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-17-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Wallop Alström Bros
GeoffFromSJ

4.43/5  rDev +8%

This is definitely one hopheads are going to go crazy for. There is a noticeable malt profile, but let's be honest here, it is completely overwhelmed by the hops. It is a treat and wasn't as overwhelming as I thought it would be. To be honest, this is my first time trying an Imperial IPA. For the style, it is pretty darn drinkable. Drinkable for non hopheads? Of course not. But it is drinkable for those in between the two groups. A rare treat. I hope we see this more often.

Serving type: cask

03-28-2004 19:18:03 | More by GeoffFromSJ
pezoids

4.97/5  rDev +21.2%

This is such a fine beer. I love hops and usually don't like overly sweet beers, so this beer and me, I feel were made for eachother. The smoothness, oh the smoothness... It's really incredible. Extremely creamy, chewy and yes, smooth with a solid maltiness underneath. Cloudy golden orange in color and was topped off by a layer of creamy white foam. The aroma was highly lemony, perfumey, estery. Perfect bitterness in the finish and the alcohol is completely hidden. This was a special treat, thanks Victory!

Serving type: cask

03-28-2004 02:16:12 | More by pezoids
Running4beer

3.9/5  rDev -4.9%

Well after reading all the rave reviews and checking the forum on this much hyped beer, I said "I needs me some of dat!!!" But how am I gonna get it, its only in PA and possibly in South Jersey. Then it happened some one was willing to part with the wallop and pass the torch to someone else. So I made contact with a couple of BA's offered some goodies I had and traded for the wallop(thanks francisweizen and beergeek for hooking me up). So I finish up with work today and a much much needed beer is what I had to have. So I go for the the smack in the face brew that's in my fridge Hop Wallop!!! And pour its contents into a glass and get it ready to be consumed. I let it sit and warm up a bit as it is much to cold to consume right now. Ahhhh now its ready to meet its maker...

Pours out a golden orangish color with a thick frothy head it thins out but stays until the very last drop is gone, as you sip it, it is leaves a lacing around your glass. It's a bit hazy in there and then there is a little bit of yeasty flakes swimming around as well. Good lord that aroma is spicey, and piney and a bit of pepper. Taste was spicey and citrusy sort of had a grapefruit flavoring at the end with a slightly bitter aftertaste. Bubbles were noticeable that gave this a crisp initial bite and medium bodied feel as it goes down nice a smooth. I'm not much of a hop head but I did enjoy this one.

03-26-2004 03:28:46 | More by Running4beer
canucklehead

British Columbia (Canada)

4.4/5  rDev +7.3%

Thanks to Malto for this sample.

The beer has hops for miles and this makes the drinker make a decision ; are you a hophead or not? I am and I loved the huge hop nose that smelled almost like great B.C. bud. My dad thought this beer unbalanced but this brew is not a attempt at mass market acceptance or even anything other than a gift to those who crave hops.

Oh yeah, the head was fine and the colour nice but it was the hops that keep me up at night dreaming of Cascade, Columbus, Centennial etc, etc.

03-24-2004 02:52:06 | More by canucklehead
GreenCard

Oregon

4.08/5  rDev -0.5%

Bottled in Dec. 2003...

Appearance: amber-gold, nice modest layer of yellowish foam which slowly compacts, good clarity (if you handle the bottle VERY carefully... lots of loose sediment), really appetizing looking, nice lacing on the glass

Aroma: pine needles, grapefruit rind, grass, malt sweetness and a touch of strawberry fruitiness

Flavor: initial passion-fruit fruitiness then an oncoming grapefruit bitterness followed by rich malty relief, an acerbic bitterness dries it out to leave a pleasant hop-resinous aftertaste, slightly grassy, very well-balanced

Mouthfeel: medium-full body, low carbonation, quite astringent

Overall Impression: This bottle was courtesy of frank4sail, who brought it (amongst many others) to Belgium for me. Since I'm not a hop-head, I was a bit "intimidated" by this one. I thought it was going to peel the tastebuds off of my tongue like some of the other hop monsters in the US. It's actually a really nice beer. Super well-balanced and oodles of delectable flavor. Definitely raises my opinion of Victory because the only other beer of their's I've tried is Golden Monkey (which I thoroughly deplored). This beer had something in common with Golden Monkey, though: a mound of extremely loose sediment in the bottom of the bottle.

03-21-2004 13:59:00 | More by GreenCard
HappyHourHero

Indiana

4.7/5  rDev +14.6%

Foamy, yellowish white head that left solid lacing. Dark golden colored beer with an orange hue. Strong aroma of fresh citrus hops. The hop smell carries over into the flavor and is joined by a lightly sweet malt base. The flavor carries well into the finish which is slightly bitter. A smooth drinking beer that reaks of freshness in both flavor and hops. I'll be all over this one next year.

03-21-2004 01:57:38 | More by HappyHourHero
jeffboo

4.53/5  rDev +10.5%

Bright golden with a puffy yellow/white foam. This foam has a big citrus hop aroma with some smoke, tangerines, grapefruit that is nice and resiny. Full, oily body with hops in front, middle and back. Flavors of grapefruit rind predominate with the malt structured very well, it provides great body while letting the hops shine. The finish is bitter and dry, but very drinkable for such a full bodied brew. The hop flavor mayybe a bit one demensional to me, a little more complexity and nirvana could be found, even so, I did love it just the same.

03-12-2004 04:09:40 | More by jeffboo
sponberg

4.72/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Hop Wallop - almost sounds like one of those "what the...?" Pennsy town names like Meshoppen, Conshohocken, Shickshinny, Shamokin... 12 oz. bottle, guy who looks like the offspring of Snuffy Smith and Gabby Hayes on a bender on the label. Pours bright gold with a fluffy head chock full of staying power.

Holy cats. Then I wash my hands and sniff again. Yep. Holy cats. Thought I had grabbed a juniper bush. Massively catty, piney, grapefruit-rind-y aroma. I get comfortable and start to sip...

Ever have a really good, sharp, spicy Gewurztraminer? One that starts out with grapefruit and apricot, maybe some pear, then gets spicy as hell? This iis the beer equivalent. The start of this beer is a-freakin'-mazing. Fruity malt (apricot, pear) with a background bitterness that *just* *keeps* *building* until it finishes with a resinous hop bite of epic proportion. 8.5%? Can't taste it. The aftertaste is like a morning grapefruit. Forget the hype, etc. - this is one impressive brew.

Many thanks to BA jackson for the bottle!

03-11-2004 12:15:52 | More by sponberg
jtfest

Oregon

4.2/5  rDev +2.4%

Pours with very little white head that leaves a syrupy lacing on the glass. The color is apricot/orange -- very hazy with active carbonation. A big hop nose that reminded me of Rogue's I2PA. The mouthfeel is smooth, thick, and full. The taste is pretty much what the name implies -- a hop wallop. It’s great if you like hops, but if you have any hop-aversion, you might not like this brew. The aftertaste is very dry and somewhat bitter. Despite the "bigness" of this brew, it is fairly easy drinking. Another winner from Victory.

03-10-2004 03:48:03 | More by jtfest
Dantes

4.33/5  rDev +5.6%

Package: 12oz. crowned, brown bottle. Vibrant cartoon character of Horace “Hop” Wallop. “Bottled on 12 30 03” Inventive story on the side of the label.

Cost: $32 a case

Presentation: 16oz. Shaker pint at ~50º.

Appearance: A bit paler than most Imperial IPA’s I’ve had, although there are some ruddy copper notes. Close inspection reveals a colloidal suspension of fine brown particles. This is meant to be the “dry hopped” version of HW, so perhaps these are the artifacts of that process. A strong pour generated a sturdy, dryish white head that didn’t last quite as long as expected, resolving down to a modest skim with moderate lacing. Overall, a fairly rich, rustic appearance.

Smell: Very floral and surprisingly nuanced. I expected a bit of a giant-killer, but as this falls somewhere between some IPA’s and some monster Imperials, I guess this is to be expected. The expected mentholated pine and citrus elements predominate, but are leavened by some pineapple and lichee fruitiness and a touch of malt background. Vibrant but not harsh.

Taste: Confirms much of what the nose promised. The fruitiness is complex, balancing the heavy hop oil elements of pine and grapefruit. Definitely bitter enough to earn its classification, but not in a one-note way. The alcohol is well-integrated into the whole. Warming but not oppressive. The finish is full, but not quite as long as I expected.

Mouthfeel: Not quite as full-bodied as Dreadnaught or 90 Minute IPA. The carbonation is more lively and the texture lighter. I never had the opportunity to have this on draught, but I expect it might be flatter, thinner, and more bitter tasting without the hop percolation provided by the strong carbonation.

Drinkability: A very drinkable beer, almost achieving “session Imperial” status. Great value too.

Backwash: I’m writing this review after a lot of samples, because I wanted to have a complete picture. My first bottle (after much travail) was inevitably a bit of a let-down (how could it not be?). Drinking through many bottles over the last couple of months has allowed me to be more objective about it. So, let me say, this an excellent beer, bordering on great. First, this particular brew falls somewhere between the bigger Imperials like Dreadnaught and 90-minute and bigger IPA’s like Alpha King and Stone. I felt it was a bit less balanced than my favorites to date, Dreadnaught and 90 Minute. This probably edges those out in aroma, but is less flavorful and not quite as hefty in malts. That said, especially at $32/case, this SCREAMS to be added to the regular lineup (but begs the question as to why some other Victory brews are more expensive). I would buy this regularly if it were available.

03-08-2004 18:26:17 | More by Dantes
CBFanWish

4.2/5  rDev +2.4%

I often go to MacGergor's in Hennrietta to enjoy the atmoshere, the people and to try new beers. Yesterday was a great day for that. It was cold, rainy, and just plain gross. In other words, a great day to try a new beer or two.
Vicitory Hop Wallop was the first beer I sampled. A hazy orange/yellow colour with a small, quickly disapating head, I was unsure what to think. But I know that a book can't be judged by its colour.
The aroma was heavy on the pine and fruit side. A strong scent of citrus hit me as soon as the beer was handed to me. It was much like eating an orange in a pine forest.
The taste was not as hoppy as I had expected, but it was wonderful. It followed the scent perfectly with a small, yet nice bitter kick in the end.
It went down smooth for a very good all around experience. I will drink this again.

03-08-2004 13:15:47 | More by CBFanWish
ManekiNeko

3.65/5  rDev -11%

12 oz bottle served lightly chilled in a pint glass. Bottled on December 30, 2003.

Appearance: Slightly hazy dark yellow topped by a healthy offwhite head. Recedes to a healthy layer after a minute or so and left an adequate amount of lacing, but I've seen much much better from IIPA's before.

Smell: Lightly floral and sprucy hops. Whiffs of orange and grapefruit citrus. Not as fragrant or as dense as I've come to expect from an exemplar of this style, though.

Taste: Initial pale malt sweetness, hearty enough to handle the melange of hop flavors that follow. Bitter pine sap followed by mild grapefruit tartness. Not as mind-boggingly great as Dreadnaught.

Mouthfeel: Chewy medium bodied ale with some long-lasting aftertastes. Hop burps aplenty. Quite a palate cleanser.

Drinkability: A textbook, and well-made, IIPA. I'd definitely have more if I had it. However, I kinda think this sucker got overhyped, IMHO. This is not Dreadnaught, and not even DFH 90 minute. Still, it's a damn fine beer. Should Victory make this a regular seasonal, I would probably pick it up.

thanks for francisweisen for the trade.

03-04-2004 02:01:06 | More by ManekiNeko
Crosling

Colorado

4.6/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This is probably the most overhyped brew I have ever encountered in my young life. Nonetheless, I am extreamly excited to try this right now and see what the big deal is. Bottled on December 30th, 2003. I believe this is the dry hopped version but I could be wrong.

Pours a light peach. Pretty light in color but still quite enchanting. The head is white in color and is initially frothy and well developed but then subdues into a creamy top layer that laces very well.

Very pungent aroma. Smells very juicy and fresh. Grapefruit, spicy alcohol, pine needles and lemon in the nose. This smells delightful.

Pleasantly hoppy (not as hoppy as I would have liked). The hops are very juicy and showcase lots of tangerines, pineapple and grapefruit. This beer is starting to grow on me. Solid malt body but mainly just hops. Vanilla Cake sneaks in. Very resiny, juicy, piney and lingering on the finish. The beer has disappeared.

03-02-2004 06:40:02 | More by Crosling
RonfromJersey

4.83/5  rDev +17.8%

A chill hazy gold-orange body, topped by frothy off white head, which leaves excellent lacing.

The aroma is like breathing through a grapefruit in the middle of a pine forest. Fresh, juicy, moist, assertive without being overpowering/off-putting. They should make those little "trees" for your car with this scent. Hell the bottle smells great empty.

The taste is not exactly what you might except. It is not "two-by-four in the face", nothing but bitterness. There's a malt base, surrounded on all sides by floral and fruity hops, resiney and juicey. There is actually a semi-sweet note bursting out of all the hoppiness. There is an overall impression of freshness.

The mouthfeel has a wonderful lively and oily texture, smooth and coating, but refreshing, not thick.

There is one major problem with the drinkability...the scarcity of this beer acts as a governator. I certainly want another, but I'll save it for a different session.

Any beer would have difficulty matching the hype of Hop Wallop's release. If this doesn't, it certainly is close.

Next year's release will be eagerly awaited.

02-28-2004 23:28:58 | More by RonfromJersey
feloniousmonk

4.7/5  rDev +14.6%

Just cracked the crown on this eagerly anticipated bottle of ale, bottled 12-11-03, and already the sweet, citric aroma wafts out to please the senses, a promising sign.

Fantastically hazy, thrillingly golden, with a mammoth head, pearly-white, bubbly, fluffy-as-a-cloud, very slowly drifting down in size.

Now to check this aroma out, up close: OW-Weee!! there's pine up there, floral a bit, and fruity aplenty, spruce, herbs, this is primeval stuff, potently herbaceous, brilliantly bristling, beyond "bitter". Citrus fruit notes, too, a touch of grapefruit, a faint suggestion of pineapple, peach, but the sharp pine-tar factor looms largest.

Past the lips and onto the tongue, it's surprisingly smooth. Huge hoppiness swims all about the senses, but is, incredibly, never too bitter, and lays on the palate just long enough. I'd call the body medium, and finsh is fruity, tangy, and lastly dry, and of perfect length, for it fades off just as it's time to raise the glass anew. Malt is in excellent supply here, and provides one perfect backdrop, just thick and sweet enough to make the bitter hop bouquet so wonderfully palatable. Hop taste hangs in the mouth happily and long, and the sweetness from the ample malt makes a well-balanced, utterly drinkable, Super IPA.

Sure wish I had me a case of this stuff, or 2 or 3, instead of just a few bottles. Where I don't think it's the most incredible Double IPA (3 Floyds, Rogue, Midnight Sun and more vie for that spot), or most delicious IPA of any kind (Town Hall's Masala Mama is still my sweetie, and Bell's TwoHearted can't be beat, especially on tap), it's really a seducer, with a quality that can surely become addicting. Who knows, maybe someday they'll send it out beyond Pennsylvania and I won't have that problem. As it is, not quite done with it, and I wish I had a few more to keep this hoppy happiness happening.

02-23-2004 11:03:56 | More by feloniousmonk
tavernjef

4.7/5  rDev +14.6%

Very nice looking glass O' beer here, hazen golden yellow color with a slight bronzey tone with a tornado of sediment swirling around within. Solid medium height for its crown, just over a finger high, light yellowish in hue, thick, dense, creamy, fades down slowly like a shadow, leaving an always present very thick skim, well actually I guess I wouldn't call it that, its more like a thin frosting. An impressively wide array of thin curtainy lacing covers the glass.

Aroma has a wonderfully charged hoppyness thats largely floral and fresh with a higher sweetness within thats a bit citrusy of very fresh orange, lemon, grapefruit peels layered over the top. Some tender grasses and hop resin are filled in right to the hilt. Not much located on the malt scale here, all hops on the nose, quite lovely.

Nice hop flavor comes right across the front with sweetish floral tones, kinda herbal and grassy, but definately higher in its sweetness and bitterness, its somewhat fat, not quite, but definately juicy enough and resin filled with slight dulled citrus squeezing off notes of freshness in the corners. Dries out in layers effectively slow with lots of hoppy things attached and there's a favorable biscuity dry maltiness in the backing that begins to stand out more as you get farther in to the glass. Very nice. Pretty decent showing of hops here, was looking for something a bit more juicy and fat but the drying levels are what really kept me attracted to it. Feel is close to full with some nice bitterness thats chalked full of floral sweetness and has some very fine drying qualities all the way through to its finish which lingers long and begs you to keep on drinkin'. That said, this continues to be amazingly smooth to my buds with great hop tones, bitterness included. Stellar drinkability! I clearly need more...yummy stuff!

A mighty fine thanks goes out to francisweizen for the many samples!!

02-21-2004 17:21:05 | More by tavernjef
mikeys01

Colorado

4.13/5  rDev +0.7%

Tried the Hop Wallop tonight, courtesy of a recent trade with Francisweizen. Pours out a light shiny copper penny color, capped with a frothy just barely off-white head that dissipates quickly, leaving behind a very clear beer. Aroma is fairly fruity hoppy, but not frighteningly so, and is mixed with a pleasant malty sweetness. Taste is at first a sharp blast of floral and citrusy hops, but quickly develops into a pale malt sweetness with nice caramel notes. The finish comes back big and bitter however, and the bitterness stays with you for the rest of the ride, a much more piney flavor than the initial bite. In my homebrew I'd say this was almost a "green" beer, the Hop Wallop dares to go where few beers go before...and succeeds quite well. Mouthfeel is quite full to almost syrupy. Moderately drinkable, a 12 oz bottle is more than enough at one sitting. Alcohol is fairly subdued in character, but noticeable in effect!

02-17-2004 03:17:14 | More by mikeys01
ark57

4.03/5  rDev -1.7%

It is light copper in color with a flowery hop aroma. It is medium bodied and malty, but the hops are the main attraction. It finishes very bitter with citrus/grapefruit and pine. The lingering aftertaste is almost like blueberry jam. It is very easy drinking despite its hefty alcohol content. Interestingly enough, I thought this was relatively different from the bottle. It is much more piney then citrus in the bottle.

02-16-2004 22:45:53 | More by ark57
stewart124

This pours a grand golden color with a thick foamy white head and as you drink this there are absolutly beautiful laces that leave rings the whole way down the glass. The smell is a very aromatic blend of hops and a floral note. The taste is an outstanding mix of citrusy flavors and a bit of pine. The hops out do the malts but it's worth it. My tastebuds were taken for a ride and then crushed into submission. This has a dry bite to it but leaves a very distinct aftertaste of those hops. Extremely drinkable and goes down very well considering it's 8.5%. Simply delicious and thankyou Mr. Horace "Hop" Wallop!

02-13-2004 15:33:50 | More by stewart124
Fish113d

4.45/5  rDev +8.5%

Upon pouring into a pint glass, it was honey-gold in color with a slight head that dissipates pretty quickly. Upon smelling I noticed some obvious hops, honey, sour grapefruits, and some pine, which I figure came from the hops. Pine, citrus fruit, and hops is what was prominant on the first taste, and was slightly creamy but crisp when chilled at about 45 degress.

I drank this while I was already pretty loaded, so I am not so sure I can be quite accurate about EVERYTHING here but was quite good! I definitely recommend it!!!

02-11-2004 23:53:13 | More by Fish113d
GreatPondBrewer

4.18/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Very interesting brew from Victory here and not what I would call a traditional Double IPA even though it is a somewhat non-traditional style. Poured a darker golden color with a plump, frothy white head reminicent almost of shaving cream in texture. You could tell this beer was full of high quality malts by the amount of lace that clung to the side of the glass. The smell had a decidedly spicy nose full of pseudo-belgian like qualitys of orange, mellon and other soft sweet fruits. The hops were certainly there, but they had a more peppery twang to them. The same could be said for the taste. The hops were obvious, but much different in presentation than most Duoble IPAs. Much more pepper sharpness to them. There was the obligatory sticky sweetness of the malts that comes with ever Double, don't get me wrong though I love the sweetness. Its like sipping alcoholic honey. The only realy complaint I had with this beer is the mouthfeel was way to thin for the recipe. It was much too watery, which threw me off. However, this would be the perfect beer for a crisp autumn afternoon. Merci damon.

02-11-2004 04:30:34 | More by GreatPondBrewer
longpondbeerman

Maine

4.45/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This cherished little bottle travelled from Philly to Rochester and then on to Poughkeepsie, where I set up a special moment for my 100th point, and it did not disappoint. The bright hoppy aroma wafted up with the sparkling cascade while I was pouring, and it settled languidly as the modest white head lay down to sleep over a light amber brew. I breathed deeply and once again, hops, hops, and more hops balanced off with a slight tension of citrus and floral esters. OK, and now for the taste--perhaps a tad thin on the mouthfeel, but nonetheless clearly a hopheads delight! This is the real deal, potent, but not in an angry way; rather this ale makes you know you're taking a hit: with a smile and a wink of the eye. To be savored! A special thanks to Nomad and the Greatpondbrewer for steering this lovely brew to me.

02-08-2004 23:22:18 | More by longpondbeerman
emericanchaos

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

pours very light in color with a medium amount of head and a lasting filming lacing.

wreaks of hops. some fruityness as well but absolutely dominating hops.

taste hits you hard with hops in the begining. this is the best part of the drink. i enjoyed rolling it around in my mouth as to cover my mouth with this initial hops flavor. once you swallow the bitterness comes into the game. the bitterness is also very strong but not to the point where it makes the brew unenjoyable. i'm also a hops fan so this bitterness could be overpowering for some.

mouthfeel is overall wonderful but could be slightly better. i can't help but to think something is missing here. just doesn't roll around my mouth well enough.

i love this one. tastes great, something very different from a beer as it is able to concentrate on a specific flavor instead of worry about balance. even through this single dominating flavor alchohol is hidden well.

02-08-2004 18:05:20 | More by emericanchaos
jtw5877

4.53/5  rDev +10.5%

Pours a slightly amber hue with a nice hoppy aroma. Tastes very hoppy with a medium mouthfeel. Very grapefruity sort of hop juice. Alcohol is hidden very well. This is indeed one very drinkable beer. I would recommend it to any hop lover who can locate it.

02-08-2004 03:14:30 | More by jtw5877
resirob

3.88/5  rDev -5.4%

Bottled on 12/30/03.

Hazy deep orange/amber in color, with some sediment in suspension. The head is healthy and lasting, leaving a fair amount of lace behind.

Aroma can only be described as "hop, the whole hop, and nothin' but the hop". Piney, fruity/citrusy notes mix in an intruiging way. Did I mention you can smell the hops?

Taste: Hoppy flavors dominate, with pine resin and citrus making themselves known up front. The citrus is almost pineapple-like. Slight trace of malt floating around in there somewhere, but I think the hops ganged up on it and beat it into submission. Balance is not this beer's strong suit. High bitterness throughout, with a dry finish.

Mouthfeel is smooth and substantial. Very nice.

Drinkability is good, especially if you like hoppy beers. The dry finish helps, too. Alcohol is well masked, so watch out!

Another good offering from Victory. There are other beers I would prefer, but I would definately drink this again.

02-07-2004 23:31:46 | More by resirob