Hop Wallop - Victory Brewing Company

Hop WallopHop Wallop

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-17-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Wallop Alström Bros
4.18/5  rDev +2%

Appearance: Clear golden peach body. Moderate carbonation. A loose foamy head of 2 inches with minimal agitation in the pour. Nice overall look.

Smell: Not really strong, this has subtle smells of fresh hops, dried flowers, freshly cut grass, some light tropical fruit.

Taste: This is a delicate ale, not a hop soup like Ruination or Dreadnaught. This has a real dry malt base, with little residual flavors from the sugars. The 8.5% abv is very well concealed, and this drinks very lightly. The hops impart little in expressive flavor; rather, they only contribute their own real taste. This tastes like fresh hops, raw and green, fresh from the plant. These don't even taste cured, they don't give the multitude of flavors that hops can create. Fresh cut grass, perhaps some pineapple and orange, not quite as much ascerbic grapefruit of others but some. This finishes with a marked bitterness; it's obvious that some high alphas were used. Overall, I like this very much. It's much more approachable than most DIPAs, and I could actually drink a few of these.

Mouthfeel: Light for such a big beer. Really delicate, nicely put together. Not cloying at all.

Drinkability: This is the most drinkable DIPA I've ever had. This isn't so noisy that it can only be had in a single serving. I really enjoy this, and even though it may not be last year's groundbreaking version, it's still very good and a great departure from the sloppy "let's throw everything in except the kitchen sink " DIPAs that have recently come into fashion. A nice accomplishment.

99bottles, Nov 16, 2004
3.53/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Light copper in color with a creamy white head, that leaves good lacing. The aroma is...well, hops. Citric, slightly fruity...maybe a hint of grapefruit. There is malt, but it is so overpowered by the hops you can barely detect it. The flavor is light in malt, then it hits you with the hop bitterness. I really can't even taste the hops, it is just a burning hop bitterness in the finish...it burns your throat going down. It has an alcohol warmth toward the end, but it is a drying bitterness in the finish. It is an ok beer, a little one sided, could use some malts to balance it out....but I suppose they were just trying to shock you with the hop bitterness.

It is overrated in my opinion. If you like just hops then this is your brew, but if you like a bit more complexity...then pass.

BeerBuilder, Nov 16, 2004
4.88/5  rDev +19%

another great Victory Brew.
Poured a slightly copper yellow with a half inch head that fizzled down quickly.
Smell was all hops nice grapfruit citrus smell.
taste was smooth and citrusy up front with a nice dry hoppy finish
excellent brew and dangerously drinkable as far as the alcohol being masked. its very hoppy and hard to drink more then two of thesee in one sitting though

kegerator, Nov 15, 2004
3.48/5  rDev -15.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Clear as a bell, pale amber color at best, lighter than I expected (it also seems to look different than what I've heard about last year's batches). One half inch of fluffy white head of good duration. Spidery crystalline laces. Prickly aroma, hops give a mixed fruit impression -- almost like Juicy Fruit gum. Carbonation is more or less subdued, mouthfeel on the lighter side of medium. The briefest of malt hinted at by the aroma is quickly beaten into submission by an ongoing hoppiness that expands in impact, quickly moving from rind of cantelope to a burnt candle wick by the time the aftertaste kicks in. The 8.5% ABV seems moderately hidden but is noticeable. The overall statement seems clear, unidimensional, not that interesting, and a little overhyped. Yeah, its a blast of hops. What a SHOCK in American brewing...NOT...

ADR, Nov 15, 2004
4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

Pours a clear, champagne looking beer. The head monstrous in its size, and it doesn't go away. Smells very piney and hoppy with a mostly an alcohol back. Tastes much less bitter than expected. Very hoppy with a nice dry back. Aftertaste doesn't stop. This another great offering from Victory. They are quickly becoming my favorite American brewery. This is another gem in the Victory line-up. A great tasting beer, hoppy enough to satisfy the hop-heads, but mellow enough to make it a beer you don't want to end.

santoslhalper, Nov 15, 2004
3.7/5  rDev -9.8%

Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale,
a tale of a hoppy beer.
That started with these Vic'try guys
and finished with me here.
The hops were a piney, mighty force,
the look was crystal clear.
My palate suffered bitterness shock,
on this super hoppy beer, this super hoppy beer.

The drinking started getting rough,
with no little to no malt.
My frail little tongue was spent,
and ruined my next alt, ruined my next alt.

The aftertaste took refuge in every corner of my mouth --
the piney hops, grapefruit too,
the herbalness, with head so white,
the bitterness! the fragrence and dryness
here on my ruined palate!

(In other words, if you enjoy hoppy IPAs, this is your holy grail.)

marburg, Nov 14, 2004
4.1/5  rDev 0%

Finally gots me some Wallop! Pours into the Duvel tulip with a stealthy just off white tall collar of foam that settles on top of clear bracing gold/orange liquid. Nose is very pungent and fresh hop aroma. I'm sure I smelled some malt in background there too. The taste is a blast of floral yet very very bitter hoppiness, with some malt sweetness popping in briefly, then some walloping alcohol flavor takes the stage. Light biscuity malt notes appear quickly as well. Finishes...well let's just say if you love hop bitterness, you're gonna love the finish on this ale...just long, long, long! A bit of fruitiness is sensed before being whisked away by the dominating bitterness. Very good! Let's see how ol' Hop Wallop ages, eh???

beerluvr, Nov 13, 2004
4.25/5  rDev +3.7%

After reading a lot about this beer, I was excited to finally get a six-pack and try some. It pours an extraordinarily clear, light-orange color with a notably thick, foamy, white head. Great lace. The aroma is not exactly what I expected, but an intense citrus, orange-like, fruity, peppery smell. The citrus-like character is present in the flavor as well, with serious grapefruit and lemon. It’s also very well balanced with a nice maltiness. It’s bitter from the first sip, and the finish is amazingly long and lingering. It’s moderately carbonated, and has a solid, full mouthfeel. Hops are certainly the centerpiece, but I was impressed with how well they are balanced. Overall, I thought that the beer was solid and very drinkable, but probably not quite up to the hype.

Suds, Nov 13, 2004
4.63/5  rDev +12.9%

I saved this brew for my 500th point and it was worth it! This has got to be one of the best hophead lover's delight. On tap at the Moan and Dove in Amherst, MA...thanks guys? This brew is just plain hoppy and dry, dry, dry....it dried my upper palate like a shot of whiskey and did the same down my throat. The only thing less than spectacular was the smell, which was still superb. It poured a medium gold with great lacing. Citrus hops were evident in the smell. The taste of the hops were there from start to finish...great!!!
Mouthfeel is dry, dry, dry...I loved it! Drinkability is a hophead's delight...this brew is a must for hop lovers.

edchicma, Nov 13, 2004
3.4/5  rDev -17.1%

On-Tap at the sunset grill, in Allston (Boston)

Two words. What happened? This beer is completely different than the two limited Hop Wallop batches of 2003! The appearance is OK, but it is a little muddy, and the head did not last as long as I remembered. The aromas of this years batch were very subdued and even a bit malty. Where are all the fresh citrusy/piney hops!? They have been replaced with the aroma of "hot" alcohol! The taste is also not as I remember it....where are the hops!? This brew is not very hoppy at all, in fact it is very boozy and quite malty on the finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, but a bit sharp and hard to handle. "prickly" one could say. The drinkability remains good, as this is still an OK (if hot) beer, but where is my precious Hop Wallop!?

francisweizen, Nov 12, 2004
4.22/5  rDev +2.9%

pours a surprisingly crisp and clear light amber to golden colour. head is nice and fluffy and sticky. not as hearty looking as i had hoped and expected. the smell is just wonderous. hops abound, mixed in with pine, some sweet citrus notes and some floral notes as well. just strong and awesome. very autumn-esque. the flavour is clearly hop straight though, but starts with more of a pine flavour before moving into a bit of juicy sweetness and finishing with a bit of a bready, though still semi-sweet, touch. a bit of malt cuts through here and there to provide a bit of balance as well. alcohol warmth is present throughout and maybe could be toned down a bit, but really just a slight touch at most. no complaints at all about it overall. a very nice double ipa overall. maybe not the end-all brew it was made out to be, but damn tasty nonetheless.

SixpointJMH, Nov 12, 2004
4.33/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

I found a six pack of Hop Wallop at a store down the street from the Belgian Beer Fest. Talk about a great day!

The beer pours an extremely clear straw yellow color with a frothy white head on top. A strong aroma of grapefruit citrus with notes of alcohol hovers over the beer.

Each sip of this medium to full bodied beer is smooth and creamy on the palate. The flavor is mostly grapefruit citrus, but notes of pepper and bubblegum come through. There seems to be a dry malt in the background holding everything together. A citrus hop flavor lingers after each sip.

This is one smooth great tasting beer, however the strong hop flavor and higher alcohol flavor takes something away from the drinkability.

WanderingFool, Nov 12, 2004
3.68/5  rDev -10.2%

Poured a pale color with a thick white head that retains well. Smell is sweet malts and grapefruit. The taste is a very hop heavy citrus like bite at first and malts show up in the finish. The mouthfeel is nice and smooth. The drinkability is pretty good. Overall a little too hoppy for my taste but this is well worth a try. Victory has some great beers.

heidelbeerg, Nov 11, 2004
4.88/5  rDev +19%

Appearance: Pours a very clear, golden copper with a thick, creamy white head that coats the glass on the way down.

Smell: Huge grapefruit aromas combined with some spicy and light floral hop aromas. After a while, a very subtle and gentle malt aroma began to show through; think pink grapefruit drizzled with honey. Exactly what something called "Hop Wallop" should smell like.

Taste: Right off, you're punched in the mouth by spicy, almost peppery hops and a bag of juicy pink grapefruits. That's followed by a beautifully subtle honey-sweet malt flavor, that combined with the pink grapefruit flavors is a knock-out. From there, you're left with a seriously solid bitter finish that coats the back of your mouth and throat and just begs you to take another drink. Near the end of the glass, the spicy part of the profile really stars to burn the crap out of your tongue and throat. Wicked stuff. So far, it's best in the bottle.

Mouth: The immediate feel is bright and crisp but within seconds of it touching your tongue, it becomes creamy, velvety and smooth. Perfect mouthfeel. If you take the time to enjoy this as you should, the high ABV isn't really detected until three quarters of the way through the glass, when a slight warming can be felt at the finish. If you drink it fast, you'd never realize the high ABV until you were finished.

Drinkability: This stuff is so good that you want one after another, even if it's a bad idea. I've been drinking it since it's been released and I can't seem to get enough of it. Seek it out while it's here (should be easier this time around).

Sidenote: I reviewed Hop Wallop on tap and gave it a lesser score; looking back, environmental interference was probably the reason - it's still amazing even with lots of sensory interference. To taste it's subtleties, it's probably best enjoyed in a quiet, peaceful, smoke-free environment. It's damn amazing.

oxmasterscream, Nov 09, 2004
4.63/5  rDev +12.9%

appearence is a dark cloudy copper with a huge billowing head bigger that the glass. lacing is like one of grandma's knit doilies.

smell is pine oil, citrus peel and hop goodness.

taste is awesome. hops dominate the palate with a big monster hoppieness that is stuck on the palate well into the next swallow. alcohol is barely present...even at 8.5abv.

mouthfeel is moderately carbonated with a perfect, not too syrupy, not too light.

drinkability is off the charts... for any hophead that is seriously into this amazin ' double ipa.

ramrod666, Nov 08, 2004
4.55/5  rDev +11%

You bashers are nuts - although there may be some merit - but you can blame your local bars. On election night, a local pub who thoroughly cleans their beer lines weekly served this amazing beer quickly after it's arrival. I personally had a crew from work on hand to demonstrate and taste how awesome this beer is. They all agreed - very comparable to Stone RIPA or Doggie 90. I then tried it from a yellow beer bar (PJ's for those PA/NJ peeps) who could care less about the taste and you could taste the difference. May be a sucky beer line cleaning sanitation job... Wonderful to look at and smell - amazing to taste. Yummy..

djeffbee, Nov 06, 2004
3.73/5  rDev -9%

Oh, my marks are all over the place...that's because there were parts of this beer that rocked, and parts of this beer, that uh rolled. Let me adapt a beermail I exchanged with a few BAs for my review. There were some things I liked about it: Apearance wise: I liked the deep golden ginger ale color. I enjoyed the carbonation I could see clearly rising up in the glass. Came topped with a thin white head. I found it very drinkable/high drinkability. Seriously. I wanted another one, but decided to wait for the launch to get another one, and then that never happened. Also, it hid the alcohol well.

There were some things that weren't awesome. One was the aroma. I took the glass in hand, went sniff, and thought: what is that smell? Not whoa, that's hoppy, or mmm, rich malt, but: what is that? Low aroma for sure. Some acidity it seemed. So I racked my brain, and thought: what acids do I like? Balsamic, cider, lemon. Well it wasn't any of those, and then it hit me: it smelled very faintly of barf covered up by sawdust. Sorry, I know that sounds horrible, but that's what I thought.

The second thing that didn't stand out was the body ...medium to thin. I guess I expected a bit more substantialness in the mouthfeel. And also, even though I could see some good carbonation, I didn't experience it while drinking.

But I'll be damned if it wasn't drinkable. The hops to me weren't overwhelming, they were more of that distilled hop essence that you get with these higher abv brews...sorta making up the whole beer. The malt was there, but the over-all essence of hops was the beer. There was some citrus and pine in the finish. And while served at a great temp, as it warmed, and you got near the end, you thought, I want another.

PatandDavid, Nov 05, 2004
4.18/5  rDev +2%

Had my first sample of the wallop on draft a few days ago at the Blind tiger in NYC. Never got a taste of last years product so I cant compare em. This is a fairly light/golden brew, clear with a white head. Moderate carbonation, nice tiny bubble film on tap and nice lacing is left behind. Strong nose of grainy hops. Hops and more hops carried the freight. Nice alcohol bite also lurking not to far from the middle. Love this style and loved this tasty, crisp, aggressively hoppy and flavorful brew. Looking forward to trying the bottled version.

Billolick, Nov 05, 2004
3.8/5  rDev -7.3%

Over-rated! (clap, clap, clap-clap-clap)!
My much-anticipated first try of the Hop Wallop was served to me in a tulip glass at the Blind Tiger last night.
The first thing that struck me about this was the raw, herbaceous aroma. VERY herbaceous. Some of my BA colleagues on hand called my crazy, but I'll be damned if I didn't get a big dose of marijuana in the aroma.
The taste is soooo hop bitter. Having recently been turned on to some of the West coast hop monsters, I really thought I would like this, but for me, it was all bitterness with no flavor. Listen, I like spicy foods, too, but I like the FLAVOR of a jalapeno, not just the capsacin. I felt the same way about this beer. The hops were raw, grassy, herbaceous, and aggressive. Strangely, I also detected a flavor that I could only classify as "extra-sharp cheddar cheese," but I suspect that's the grassy-herbaceous thing. I also detected next to no malt, something that I want in my "Double IPA." The finish was long and lingering. Mouthfeel was fine, but drinkability suffers due to the bitter pill that this is.

Do I think this is a bad beer? No. Do I think it is a great beer? Also no.

bultrey, Nov 04, 2004
3.78/5  rDev -7.8%

This beer was a deep honey color. Poured up with a fast fading frothy head. After settling for a moment the beer was cloudy.The nose was sweet with heavy hop notes. Big surprise, the taste was severely hoppy and sweet. The hops in this brew are so thick that you almost have to chew it. Finishes crisp with ligering hop flavor. Calling all Hop Heads!!! Calling all Hop Heads!!!

BCMan, Nov 04, 2004
4.13/5  rDev +0.7%

There has been so much hype about this beer, so I couldn’t way to try it when I saw it on tap today at RedBones. It has a bright gold to copper with a white head and a surprising amount of champagne bubbles. Bright floral citrus aroma. The taste is indeed a wallop from hops, a real bitterness force. There is also a mild sourness. Not unpleasant, just there. Lace is left on the glass for each drink. It has a great mouth feel and is very drinkable for this bitter a beer. Does the beer match the hype, sorry. Not in my opinion. Good beer, not a great one.

carln26, Oct 31, 2004
3.6/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Took a lickin’ but kept on tickin’ with this one on 10/30/2004. 16-oz. pint pour at ACPH.

1/8 inch fluff of initial set-up, and creamy in texture. A light hop profile to nose with some parallel notes of orange essence, clover honey, and a core of malt, though extremely subtle. On the mouth, sweet hop crank to start with other light notes really pulling through and making this “double” IPA a not-hop-bomb consisting of corriander, lemon grass, and light maple syrup. Although I have never consumed this before, I found it surprisingly light on the hop front considering its moniker. In fact, on that measure, I found the Smuttynose IPA putting it to shame, among many others. Expected more, given the hype.

Truh, Oct 30, 2004
3.53/5  rDev -13.9%

The pour is a clear gold. Head is small and white. Pretty direct citric aroma with various lemon, grapefruit and hop concentrate notes. Alcohol is very well hidden though. Juicy mouthfeel, light to medium body feels mostly thin compared to the flavors’ intensity. Plasticy citric taste. Quite tart, very bitter. Feels mostly one-dimensional toward the citrusy/orange assortment and lacks any convincing malt department to be outstanding. Fairly well-made in the hop juice category. Thanks TAR.

Rastacouere, Sep 27, 2004
4.83/5  rDev +17.8%

Pours a crystal clear copper color, "1 of slightly off white head, sticky lacing. Pure hop spiciness in the nose, slightly floral, slightly citrus, smells almost cinnamon. Taste is of the wall hops. They are everywhere. Not much of a noticable malt presence, because of the invasive hops. Aftertaste is pure hops, slight alcohol burning. Not as hoppy as Rogue's I2PA, but still sates my hopcraving.

TastyTaste, Sep 07, 2004
4.47/5  rDev +9%

Bottled 12/30/03. Lightly turbid pale bronze hue. Steadfast, dense and lofty ivory white head. Tattered lace remains. Burst of pink grapefruit and lemon oil upfront in aroma yields to a melange of minty ethanol and toasted malt. Softens as it breathes, with tangerine and light toffee hints surfacing agreeably. Welcoming aromawise. In flavor, incipient is a brief snap of light caramel sweetness. This is readily overrun by a surge, then lingering plateau of quinine and citrus pith bitterness. Hop flavor is of juicy, ripe lemon and sugar sprinkled grapefruit. Marmalade impressions abound. Surprisingly bereft of evergreen notes, save a trace pine needle hint. Full bodied and nearly perfectly dextrinous without any syrupy qualities in mouthfeel. Finishes surprisingly soft, with butterscotch sweetened biscuit and candied orange hints lingering. A delicious DIPA heavy handed in citrus character, shy in pine, and functional in malt character. Superlatively drinkable and approaching balanced, even. Reminescent of a more ballsy Bell's Two Hearted. Superbly crafted. Thanks to Buckeyenation for the delivery!

marc77, Sep 05, 2004