Hop Wallop - Victory Brewing Company

Hop WallopHop Wallop

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-17-2003)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Wallop Alström Bros
4.55/5  rDev +11%

You bashers are nuts - although there may be some merit - but you can blame your local bars. On election night, a local pub who thoroughly cleans their beer lines weekly served this amazing beer quickly after it's arrival. I personally had a crew from work on hand to demonstrate and taste how awesome this beer is. They all agreed - very comparable to Stone RIPA or Doggie 90. I then tried it from a yellow beer bar (PJ's for those PA/NJ peeps) who could care less about the taste and you could taste the difference. May be a sucky beer line cleaning sanitation job... Wonderful to look at and smell - amazing to taste. Yummy..

3.73/5  rDev -9%

Oh, my marks are all over the place...that's because there were parts of this beer that rocked, and parts of this beer, that uh rolled. Let me adapt a beermail I exchanged with a few BAs for my review. There were some things I liked about it: Apearance wise: I liked the deep golden ginger ale color. I enjoyed the carbonation I could see clearly rising up in the glass. Came topped with a thin white head. I found it very drinkable/high drinkability. Seriously. I wanted another one, but decided to wait for the launch to get another one, and then that never happened. Also, it hid the alcohol well.

There were some things that weren't awesome. One was the aroma. I took the glass in hand, went sniff, and thought: what is that smell? Not whoa, that's hoppy, or mmm, rich malt, but: what is that? Low aroma for sure. Some acidity it seemed. So I racked my brain, and thought: what acids do I like? Balsamic, cider, lemon. Well it wasn't any of those, and then it hit me: it smelled very faintly of barf covered up by sawdust. Sorry, I know that sounds horrible, but that's what I thought.

The second thing that didn't stand out was the body ...medium to thin. I guess I expected a bit more substantialness in the mouthfeel. And also, even though I could see some good carbonation, I didn't experience it while drinking.

But I'll be damned if it wasn't drinkable. The hops to me weren't overwhelming, they were more of that distilled hop essence that you get with these higher abv brews...sorta making up the whole beer. The malt was there, but the over-all essence of hops was the beer. There was some citrus and pine in the finish. And while served at a great temp, as it warmed, and you got near the end, you thought, I want another.

4.18/5  rDev +2%

Had my first sample of the wallop on draft a few days ago at the Blind tiger in NYC. Never got a taste of last years product so I cant compare em. This is a fairly light/golden brew, clear with a white head. Moderate carbonation, nice tiny bubble film on tap and nice lacing is left behind. Strong nose of grainy hops. Hops and more hops carried the freight. Nice alcohol bite also lurking not to far from the middle. Love this style and loved this tasty, crisp, aggressively hoppy and flavorful brew. Looking forward to trying the bottled version.

3.8/5  rDev -7.3%

Over-rated! (clap, clap, clap-clap-clap)!
My much-anticipated first try of the Hop Wallop was served to me in a tulip glass at the Blind Tiger last night.
The first thing that struck me about this was the raw, herbaceous aroma. VERY herbaceous. Some of my BA colleagues on hand called my crazy, but I'll be damned if I didn't get a big dose of marijuana in the aroma.
The taste is soooo hop bitter. Having recently been turned on to some of the West coast hop monsters, I really thought I would like this, but for me, it was all bitterness with no flavor. Listen, I like spicy foods, too, but I like the FLAVOR of a jalapeno, not just the capsacin. I felt the same way about this beer. The hops were raw, grassy, herbaceous, and aggressive. Strangely, I also detected a flavor that I could only classify as "extra-sharp cheddar cheese," but I suspect that's the grassy-herbaceous thing. I also detected next to no malt, something that I want in my "Double IPA." The finish was long and lingering. Mouthfeel was fine, but drinkability suffers due to the bitter pill that this is.

Do I think this is a bad beer? No. Do I think it is a great beer? Also no.

3.78/5  rDev -7.8%

This beer was a deep honey color. Poured up with a fast fading frothy head. After settling for a moment the beer was cloudy.The nose was sweet with heavy hop notes. Big surprise, the taste was severely hoppy and sweet. The hops in this brew are so thick that you almost have to chew it. Finishes crisp with ligering hop flavor. Calling all Hop Heads!!! Calling all Hop Heads!!!

4.13/5  rDev +0.7%

There has been so much hype about this beer, so I couldn’t way to try it when I saw it on tap today at RedBones. It has a bright gold to copper with a white head and a surprising amount of champagne bubbles. Bright floral citrus aroma. The taste is indeed a wallop from hops, a real bitterness force. There is also a mild sourness. Not unpleasant, just there. Lace is left on the glass for each drink. It has a great mouth feel and is very drinkable for this bitter a beer. Does the beer match the hype, sorry. Not in my opinion. Good beer, not a great one.

3.6/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Took a lickin’ but kept on tickin’ with this one on 10/30/2004. 16-oz. pint pour at ACPH.

1/8 inch fluff of initial set-up, and creamy in texture. A light hop profile to nose with some parallel notes of orange essence, clover honey, and a core of malt, though extremely subtle. On the mouth, sweet hop crank to start with other light notes really pulling through and making this “double” IPA a not-hop-bomb consisting of corriander, lemon grass, and light maple syrup. Although I have never consumed this before, I found it surprisingly light on the hop front considering its moniker. In fact, on that measure, I found the Smuttynose IPA putting it to shame, among many others. Expected more, given the hype.

3.53/5  rDev -13.9%

The pour is a clear gold. Head is small and white. Pretty direct citric aroma with various lemon, grapefruit and hop concentrate notes. Alcohol is very well hidden though. Juicy mouthfeel, light to medium body feels mostly thin compared to the flavors’ intensity. Plasticy citric taste. Quite tart, very bitter. Feels mostly one-dimensional toward the citrusy/orange assortment and lacks any convincing malt department to be outstanding. Fairly well-made in the hop juice category. Thanks TAR.

4.83/5  rDev +17.8%

Pours a crystal clear copper color, "1 of slightly off white head, sticky lacing. Pure hop spiciness in the nose, slightly floral, slightly citrus, smells almost cinnamon. Taste is of the wall hops. They are everywhere. Not much of a noticable malt presence, because of the invasive hops. Aftertaste is pure hops, slight alcohol burning. Not as hoppy as Rogue's I2PA, but still sates my hopcraving.

4.47/5  rDev +9%

Bottled 12/30/03. Lightly turbid pale bronze hue. Steadfast, dense and lofty ivory white head. Tattered lace remains. Burst of pink grapefruit and lemon oil upfront in aroma yields to a melange of minty ethanol and toasted malt. Softens as it breathes, with tangerine and light toffee hints surfacing agreeably. Welcoming aromawise. In flavor, incipient is a brief snap of light caramel sweetness. This is readily overrun by a surge, then lingering plateau of quinine and citrus pith bitterness. Hop flavor is of juicy, ripe lemon and sugar sprinkled grapefruit. Marmalade impressions abound. Surprisingly bereft of evergreen notes, save a trace pine needle hint. Full bodied and nearly perfectly dextrinous without any syrupy qualities in mouthfeel. Finishes surprisingly soft, with butterscotch sweetened biscuit and candied orange hints lingering. A delicious DIPA heavy handed in citrus character, shy in pine, and functional in malt character. Superlatively drinkable and approaching balanced, even. Reminescent of a more ballsy Bell's Two Hearted. Superbly crafted. Thanks to Buckeyenation for the delivery!

4.58/5  rDev +11.7%

Fortunately for me, I live 8 minutes away from Victoryville and am there alot. The boys pulled out a 1/2 bbl on 8/23/2004 and I was there promptly at noon.

What can I say about one of the best brews ever brewed by one of the best breweries?

After looking cloesly at this 8 month old brew that was stored in a cooler I did notice a touch of chill haze. The physical stability of the beer was just on the edge. The color was still great. That's why I didn't give it a 5 for appearance.

The nose however was strong, bold, and was just like I remembered it when it came out the first time. This batch was defintely frist batch. Ron Barchet confirmed this by reminding me no second batch (the dry hopped version) was bottled exclusively.

The nose has hints of pine, grapefruit, and wonderful blended hops.

The taste was wonderful. It's mellowed NOT! It's still as bold, smack ya upside the head as ever. For those who love the turly hopped up brews, this one 's for you! Wow!

The mouthfeel was most pleasant and it is extremelty deceptive in terms of the ABV. No noticable alcohol burn on the way down.

3.5 for drinklability because of the ABV - this ain't no session beer!

Enjoy!

4.38/5  rDev +6.8%

Am I really going to have to drive to PA this year to buy Hop Wallup? I can get every Victory in my store except this one. Too bad cuz I love this beer. No, it's not perfect but I am very fond of the grapefruit /citrus and resinous pine you find in this IPA. Did I mention how hoppy this is! After warming up a bit in a goblet, the hops smack you in the face. Warming, but deceptively so. It would be too easy to drink this all night! I've only had the pleasure once when a friend was good enouth to share his, it created quite an impression.

4.38/5  rDev +6.8%

The beer came in a 12 oz. brown bottle with a brewed on date of December 30, 2003, courtesy of Lupe and BIF 10. The bottle had the legend of “Hop” Wallop printed in nearly unreadable font, but who buys bottles for light reading anyway, so I moved on to the main attraction. The body of the beer was apricot orange in color with a lot of cloudiness as a result of my preference of pouring the yeast in an IPA into the glass. The head on the beer was tall and crowning, and made it look a bit over carbonated. The head died down in a little while and left a lot of sticky lace on the sides of the goblet. The aroma was powerful green spicy hops with a solid caramel malt backbone. The taste was sweeter than I anticipated, with a lot of orange, peach, candied apples, and apricot fruitiness. The hop bitterness was quite subdued (which may have been the result of aging). The mouthfeel was soft and chewy and a lot “wetter” than most other beers in the style. There was some peppery spiciness in the aftertaste, but under the sweet coating that the beer put on my throat, it too was also quite secondary. This beer hides the 8.5% ABV alcohol very well under the rich malt, and is quite an approachable double IPA.

3.78/5  rDev -7.8%

Good looking beer with a bit too much carbonation. But the carbonation dissipates fast to a mellow flow.

I tasted this along side Pizza Port Frank Double IPA and it could not hold a candle to Frank. The flavor was nice but a bit weak on the hops and not really any malty flavor. This is not a bad beer at all, but it is not an exceptional beer either.

4.2/5  rDev +2.4%

First off: Big thanks to BuckeyeNation for the chance to sample this brew.

Pours a murky golden amber with little to no head. Leaves plenty of sticky white lacing as you go.

Nose is fairly strong with grapefruit hops mingled with some damp-hay style muskiness.

First hit on the palate is more of the citrus bitterness from the nose. The bitterness backs off a bit on the midsip and that muskiness comes up center stage. Aftertaste is a jump back to the citrus bitterness again.

Overall, a solid offering from Victory. I think I still prefer Dreadnaught as far as DIPAs go, but then I haven't tried this fresh. I'll re-review when I do.

Wyll-

4.13/5  rDev +0.7%

Pours nicely; an initally well-bolstered eggshell-white head evaporates dissapointingly quickly to about a quarter inch of foam, although with significant clumping and tenacious crusting in the process. A handful of streamers mosey up through a dull, matte bronze-colored liquid; when held to light, copper highlights strain to shine around the edges of a glass murky with floating sediments. Served cool, the aroma starts by rolling up sharp and fruity (citrus: orange more than grapefruit), lingers with a body full enough to be called "fleshy" and nectarine-ish, and tapers off tartly. Too much body in the nosefeel to be called "floral," but with warmth, suggestions of pollen and pine (minus the "snap" of pine) emerge. Flavor is deeply balanced, with sourish hops dominating over a rugged maltiness suggestive of brown or raw sugars. With time, hops get harsher, with a poignant, punchy bitterness high and at the roof of the mouth pushing maltiness first to the sides of the palate and eventually off the edge. A hint of clover, even? Mouthfeel is well-rounded, with hop flavor sticking smoothly, solidly to palate after each sip; lacks the "shellacky" quality of some of the other boundary-pushing IPAs. I'm ready for another, but I think more than two bottles in one sitting would be too much (in terms of both palate fatigue and alcohol content). This sample was six months old; I think that after aging, the beer's remarkable balance may have been achieved at the sacrifice of the initial flavors' intensities. I greatly look forward to tasting a fresh sample. Good stuff.

3.8/5  rDev -7.3%

Poured a dark golden color with a nice white head and beautiful lacing. Sweet, hoppy, citrusy aroma. Citrusy, grapefruit, sharp fresh hop taste with a smooth malty sweet background. Very full/coating mouthfeel. I enjoy this as much as I would Dreadnaught or Ruination. The 03 vintage rocks, the 04 however, sucks :(

I had this one in the cellar waiting for a special occasion, and seeing 20,000 BeerAdvocate.com members seems like a special occasion indeed.
A: Hazy golden amber in color. Head was initially about a fingers worth of a light tan suds, it's now about a quarter inch of a creamy looking foam. Some sediment is noted in the glass.

S: From this day forward, this is what will come to mind when I think of a Double IPA. Smells are a sweet grapefruity hop aroma at first. Not bitter in smell at all, but a solid hoppy aroma (I wish I knew what sort of hops they use). Nice malty bread smell underneath the hops. Brilliant.

T: Taste is a smart hop flavor that is surprisingly mellow at first, letting me get a nice feel for the malts used. There's a quick flash of a sweet flavor, but that gives way to a hoppy acidic twang that doesn't punch you, it seems to build on itself and grow into it's full hoppy glory. Finish is a long lingering sharp citrus flavor.

M: Super smooth, it's from a bottle but feels more like a cask conditioned. Full bodied, carbonation can't get any better, and the alcohol is nicely warming but very well masked.

D&N: As near to perfection in an IPA as I can imagine. I realize that five's should be rare, and this one got fives across the board, but I think that letting this beer age for a few months really let the flavors and aromas mature into a pretty perfect IPA. I've had many in bottles fresh from the brewery and they just didn't have the depth and character that this one does.

Edit to add: when this one comes out again, I'm thinking that putting a case or two in storage rather than two bottles would be a good idea. This beer rocks.

2.85/5  rDev -30.5%

Victory Hop Wallop: A twelve-ounce bottle, of a “very hoppy ale.” It’s got a cute little spiel down the side about the origins of Hop Wallop. Pours a hazy color, with an extraordinary amount of suspended sediment (despite the fact that this brew has been sitting in the fridge without moving for a good month). Fairly nice head, leaves some diffuse Belgian lace down the side of the glass. Curious aroma, very strong aroma of hops, but there is a wee bit off smell here as well, almost ammonia.

Very hoppy beer, that is true, extremely strong hop flavors, but almost absent is any malt base. As bitter as an IIPA as I’ve seen. Unfortunately, this beer is missing those floral/citrus hop flavors that really would have taken this brew to the next level. Leaves a slick feeling on the tongue, as it dries out the palate.

As it stands, it is a true hop bomb, and not a whole lot more. In addition, I am perplexed by the high level of sediment in this brew, I do not believe that I’ve seen it in other examples of the style.

4.53/5  rDev +10.5%

Many thanks to goindownsouth for this sample.

I love the hop complexity to the aroma. Citrus (with a nice combination of sweet and sour), fresh, grass, with just a hint of malt base. None excessive, dominating or overpowering.
Orange-yellow-gold amber. Half-inch steady head, fragmented lacing. Cloudy. Good looking.
The first thing I notice upon drinking is how smooth it feels with a strong creaminess, but once past the lips the hops bit kicks in big time. It's a great contrasts of sensory experiences. Hops flavor is very reminiscent of the aroma, but isn't quite as complex. The citrus is more dominating and pushes overpowering. Nonetheless the grassy quality remains. Drink also begins with a short shot of malt sweetness that is really pleasing, but a little too short lived.
Wonderfully smooth with really interesting and enjoyable creaminess. Carbonation adds a bit to the bite, yet somehow remains subtle.
This is really very good. It deserves all the credit it's getting. Highly recommended for hop lovers. How does it hide the ABV so well?

4.38/5  rDev +6.8%

The beer pours into the willibecker glass a hazy, autumnal gold, a gargantuan froth erupting with a rather gentle pour. The soapy heap slowly settles, bubbles of every size forming a rocky, craggy heap until finally resting in a thick, even bubbled coating atop the brew. A couple sluggish carbonation bubbles drift up languidly. Thick chunks of lace cling to where the head once was, spattered clumps clinging all the way down. A bit less lace than I was expecting, but it's possible that it could be my glass. Great head retention, never wavering, even through a grilled cheese sandwich with pickles and tomatoes towards the end. A small clump of head remains at the bottom of the drained glass, looking forlorn, yet sturdy and proud.
The aroma is massively hoppy, as was expected. Pungent citrus conveys serious grapefruit juice, the kind you squeeze yourself, with a hint of biting orange and lime. Softer floral notes, suggestive of noble hops, create a gentler undertone. The vaguest touch of woodiness, perhaps oak chips? The malt lies buried within, struggling to bring my nose a toasty, slightly biscuity scent. Excellent esters blend with the hops, very fruity, with hints of pear, apricot and perfumey floral notes. An ever so slight touch of yeast fills the cracks. Vague fusel alcohol hides between the leaves of the hop colony that was sacrificed to fill my glass.
The flavor starts with a surprisingly mild toasty malt, quickly overtaken by the monstrous juggernaut of hops. A bit of yeast is immediately apparent, lending body and a softening, slightly doughy flavor that softens the hops some. The esters readily apparent in the nose are more or less roadkill in the wake of this grapefruit monster. A hint of pear and flowers are easily detectable, some searching produces the scattered remains of some apricot. (Upon letting a warmish sip sit on my tongue, the fruitiness blooms, extolling ripe red apple and juicy peach) The citrus intensifies into the finish, becoming very pleasantly rindy and bitter, a bit of floral, noble hops adding complexity, serving to teach the strongarmed, crewcut citric hops something about charm, diplomacy and etiquette. Some vague woodiness appears in the finish with warmth, undetectable when the beer is below cellar temperature. Very pleasant, but I'm not sure if it's hops, the yeast, or actual oak conditioning. A bit of a pine needle bite right in the end, along with a dash of alcohol, warming the belly. The aftertaste is mostly piney, citric hops, simplifying into a sharp, nearly metallic bitterness, sticking to the tongue almost as long as it takes me to get around to doing the dishes. The body is surprisingly light, somewhere in the grey area between medium and full. A surprisingly smooth mouthfeel, undoubtedly assisted by the yeast, strolling along the palate with an urbane, gentle carbonation.
A great double IPA from a great brewery. Perhaps my expectations were high, I assumed that the hype was at least partially unmerited, but it wasn't the best I2PA of all time. It is very distinct in it's hopping, and very, very enjoyable. The hops are excellent in the fruity, floral bitterness, but I could stand for a bit more body to back them up. The soft carbonation is awesome, though. They felt a hair too naked, kind of like a beautiful woman in revealing clothing. It's a fine line between seductive and trashy, and I feel like this brew's teetering on the edge, not sure where it wants to step. I did enjoy the lingering, nearly metallic aftertaste, but I can definitely feel the alcohol, particularly when this is the third beer in a session. Definitely make this the last one of the night, because you can't taste normal beer after a glass of the stuff. I'll certainly buy a six pack (or two) of this if it ever gets released again, but it'll probably take me a while to finish. I really do hope to see this again, preferably in larger quantities and maybe even outside of PA.
Thanks ever so much to Francisweizen and Beergeek for the bottles!

4.93/5  rDev +20.2%

Pours a hazy golden orange-amber with particles floating around, topped with a two finger creamy off-white head, leaves webs of lace.
Apricot and citrus aroma, full of juicy pink grapefruit, spruce tree, floral.
Very hoppy taste, hitting just about all the notes, citrus, floral, earthy, caramel and nutty notes as well. A bit peppery from the alcohol.
Medium feel, a bit oily.
Goes down smooth and quickly, I could probably go through a sixer if I had one. The bitter fruit-pit aftertaste sticks with you.

4.1/5  rDev 0%

Pours a slightly hazy, light copper color. The aroma is grassy, citrusy, with notes of bergamot. The taste is lightly sweet with an underlying toasted biscuit malt flavor. Of course this beer is hop dominated, but I like that I was able to get some maltiness up front. There is an astringent grassy note to the bitterness, as well as a resinous citrus/ pine hop note. This finishes with a solid slightly mouth-puckering bitterness. The key to to this beer is to drink it on the warm side of cool, so that the malt notes come out. Overall this is quite good, I just wish it was slightly more integrated, it needs a bit of smoothing out of the astringent notes. Still this is definitely a hop monster, and is a must try for hop heads.

4.22/5  rDev +2.9%

A small, creamy, dense head collapses doughily: a very pleasing effect. It leaves lots of spots of lacing as it goes. The beer is a hazy, orange-gold. Waves of ample carbonation. Plenty of grapefruit in the nose. I also smell some sugar. The grapefruit persists throught the perfumey front. A sweet, juicy middle is full, giving up a little bit of rich malt with temperature. Finish is a puckeringly bitter hopsohol. This is one hoppy, bitter beer. The alcohol is warming, but really quite well hidden given the slightness of the malt. The beer sweetens nicely with temperature, but remains hugely bitter. When the occasion calls for hops...

Cheers to Dantes.

4.2/5  rDev +2.4%

Hop Wallop was one of the protagonists at my blind tasting of six imperial IPA's last night. Poured from a 12oz bottle, it had a hazy light amber color, lighter than expected, topped with a rather large and fluffy white head. Some very fine sediment remained in suspension.
The nose was fruity-sweet, of dried apples and pineapples, with a hint of bubblegum and followed by a heady citrusy floral hops aroma. The taste had an initial grainy malt flavor that gave way to a candied fruit sweetness. This all didn't last very long before a rush of grapefruit juice and pine needles washed over my tongue and stayed there, refusing to move out. The alcohol content was very well concealed. The feel was medium-bodied leaning toward the lighter side, crisp and dry.
Hop Wallop was a real departure from most of the other I2PA's at the tasting. It had a lighter, drier feel than all but Ruination yet maintained a greater balance of malt to hops. Yes, Hop Wallop has plenty of hoppy goodness but it isn't overboard or skewed to the detriment of the malt character. Hopefully, it can be seen out here come fall.

Hop Wallop from Victory Brewing Company