Hop Wallop - Victory Brewing Company

Hop WallopHop Wallop

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-17-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Wallop Alström Bros
emericanchaos

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

pours very light in color with a medium amount of head and a lasting filming lacing.

wreaks of hops. some fruityness as well but absolutely dominating hops.

taste hits you hard with hops in the begining. this is the best part of the drink. i enjoyed rolling it around in my mouth as to cover my mouth with this initial hops flavor. once you swallow the bitterness comes into the game. the bitterness is also very strong but not to the point where it makes the brew unenjoyable. i'm also a hops fan so this bitterness could be overpowering for some.

mouthfeel is overall wonderful but could be slightly better. i can't help but to think something is missing here. just doesn't roll around my mouth well enough.

i love this one. tastes great, something very different from a beer as it is able to concentrate on a specific flavor instead of worry about balance. even through this single dominating flavor alchohol is hidden well.

02-08-2004 18:05:20 | More by emericanchaos
jtw5877

4.53/5  rDev +10.5%

Pours a slightly amber hue with a nice hoppy aroma. Tastes very hoppy with a medium mouthfeel. Very grapefruity sort of hop juice. Alcohol is hidden very well. This is indeed one very drinkable beer. I would recommend it to any hop lover who can locate it.

02-08-2004 03:14:30 | More by jtw5877
resirob

3.88/5  rDev -5.4%

Bottled on 12/30/03.

Hazy deep orange/amber in color, with some sediment in suspension. The head is healthy and lasting, leaving a fair amount of lace behind.

Aroma can only be described as "hop, the whole hop, and nothin' but the hop". Piney, fruity/citrusy notes mix in an intruiging way. Did I mention you can smell the hops?

Taste: Hoppy flavors dominate, with pine resin and citrus making themselves known up front. The citrus is almost pineapple-like. Slight trace of malt floating around in there somewhere, but I think the hops ganged up on it and beat it into submission. Balance is not this beer's strong suit. High bitterness throughout, with a dry finish.

Mouthfeel is smooth and substantial. Very nice.

Drinkability is good, especially if you like hoppy beers. The dry finish helps, too. Alcohol is well masked, so watch out!

Another good offering from Victory. There are other beers I would prefer, but I would definately drink this again.

02-07-2004 23:31:46 | More by resirob
canoehornpoint

3.88/5  rDev -5.4%

poured a medium golden with some reddish hints, mine had little head and I was at a place where I would expect good glass. Carbonation was minimal. Aroma was citrusy and spicy, reminding me of SN Celebration. This was more piney than citrusy overwhelmingly. It finished really dry and was all hop, no malt complexity. Mouthfeel was full (from a wallop of hops) to dry. This is a good beer but I think there comes a point when too much is too much.

02-07-2004 02:22:55 | More by canoehornpoint
sulldaddy

Connecticut

4.3/5  rDev +4.9%

Ah...I just scored this from DeadGuyAle, Thanks man!!
I pour this chilled sample into my pint glass and the hop aroma hits me immediately. But back to the appearance first.
My bottle says bottled on 12/30/03.
The brew pours slightly hazy orange color with some suspended sediment present. A bright white soft head foams up easily. Really good head retention as I always have a thin layer throughout my sampling.
The aroma is dominated by hops, floral scents first then I pick up hiints of pine and some sour citrus notes too.
The first sip reveals a slightly prickly carbonation and medium body. I get a quick hint of sweetness coming through and then the hops take over. Up front the flavor is a light fruity taste, this switches to a sour grapefruit, and finishes kind of chewy and bitter. This beer is surprisingly drinkable considering how high the IBUs must be. Although I am a "malty" I definitely enjoyed this one and can see why so many joined the hunt early on.
This brew is very much worth drinking, too bad it is very difficult to find.
Thanks again DeadGuyAle!!!

02-04-2004 04:26:38 | More by sulldaddy
Bierman9

New Hampshire

4.4/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

(26NOV05) - Just got a 6-pack of this ($11.99) and had to compare to my original review. Has a "best before" date on the bottle of 09NOV06. The bier seems a lot lighter in color than I originally noted last year. It is a light golden/yellow hue, and it is mostly clear, with just an ever-so-slight haze. Head is stark white and fine, yet thin. Lacing was quite nice, though. Nose quite dominated by hops, with strong citrus notes but also a sharp, Saaz-like quality. Super smooth, and a strong medium-plus in the body category. Bready malts lie beneath a solid mountain of hops. Very citrussy yet not like a real west-coaster. Still has that sharp, spicy quality, which leaves a strong bite on the palate. Superb stuff! And the 8.5% abv lays low, so caution is advised! (No rating changes).
Prosit!!

overall: 4.4
appearance: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | mouthfeel: 4.5 | drinkability: 4.5

*** ***

(Original: 31JAN04) - I finally got the chance to get "walloped"!
This sucka poured a deep golden/orange color, and was fairly hazy throughout. The hue was actually quite becoming to me. The head was a touch off-white, and fairly creamy. It lasted at about 1/4" for a bit, then thinned and maintained a fine layer of bubbles topping things off. Lacework around the glass was very nice and sticky. The bier had just been poured and the glass was about a foot away from me, yet a pervasive hop aroma abounded. Upon closer inspection I did detect some malt, yet hops and their ilk were quite dominant. Some hints of orange peel/rind were there as well as lots of grapefruity touches. Wallop has a luscious mouthfeel! Body is easily more than medium, yet not quite full, and it has a creamy/silky texture when passing over the tongue. It almost has the chewiness of a rich stout. Light toasty malt is present at the start, with suggestions of caramel, albeit mild. Soon thereafter your tongue is run through the gauntlet of hop flavors. I love it! Lupulin inundation is a welcome sensation!! Lots of citrus (especially grapefruit) along with piney/resiny notes coat the tongue and throat. The aftertaste of hops is oh-so-long-lasting! I detect little presence of the 8.5% abv, and that can be scary, since this bier is going down SO easily! I'd love to do a side-by-side with Hop and I2PA.... Good stuff! Big-time thanks go to Ron, aka BierReise, who was extremely helpful in sending a couple of bottles of Hop Wallop my way. Vielen Dank, und Prosit!!

(4.5/4.0/4.5/4.5/4.5 = 4.4)

01-31-2004 19:43:05 | More by Bierman9
Bighuge

3.3/5  rDev -19.5%

I have edited my ratings slightly as of March 16, 2005. This is not nearly the same beer I consumed last year. And it pales in comparison to the top notch DIPAs around. It's a high octane, one dimensional hop juice with no substantial malt backing. That said, my rating is now a reflection of a midpoint between the 2003 edition and the 2004 edition.

A hazed deep golden appearance with small particles suspended evenly throughout. The head is thin and off-white in color. The lace is patchy. The aroma is minty, fragrant and perfumey but on the flipside, also pungent and raw. I like it a lot. The pure hop bliss hits the palate first and foremost. And it is of hop resin, mint leaves, bay leaves, orange rind, pungent mary jane and smoke. The bitterness is bold and clean, not harsh and intense. The malt beneath has a slight toasted characteristic and biscuity feel. The mouthfeel is crisp and clean and the body is about medium. This is a tremendously drinkable Imperial IPA.

Thanks for the special treat beergeek279.

01-31-2004 06:12:44 | More by Bighuge
Lupe

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

Pours a clear copper-gold color with a frothy off-white head that leaves generous lace along the sides of the glass.
Hop aroma jumps out while pouring. Lots of citrus in the nose with grapefruit, lemon and orange along with flowery hops and a piney aroma in the backround.
Medium in body and surprisingly smooth. Starts with a citrus flavor then an explosion of hops hit the tounge. Somehow the malt comes to smooth out the beer just when the bitterness is about to overwhelm. Not balanced by anymeans but it is remarkably smooth for something so highly hopped.
Crisp, refreshing, and had me begging for more. At 8.5% and a healthy dose of hops, this was quite drinkable. Another great job by Victory!

01-31-2004 02:44:22 | More by Lupe
SheepNutz

Kentucky

4.45/5  rDev +8.5%

12oz. bottle poured into a tulip-style glass. It pours a light hazy apricot tolor with two fingers of head. There is lots of lacing left on the glass. The smell is very fruity, with citrus and flowers. Lots of hops present as well. The taste starts malty for about 1.5 seconds, but then the hops come rolling into town. A very hoppy and citrusy(if that's even a word) taste. Lots of pineapple and grapefruit present under the blanket of hops. The mouthfeel is super thick and superbly smooth. The drinkability fairs well for being a 8.5% brew. A damn fantastic brew!

01-29-2004 04:04:31 | More by SheepNutz
DrunkenPanther

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

This bottle pours a clear, copperish color with a nice whire head that lingers throughout. The aroma right during the pout will knock your socks off. Ya may want to give it a few minutes to breath as the aroma is just screaming "Let me out!"
The initial taste is a nice long bitterness. This one doesnt just hit on the front end or the back. It is bitter thoughout. And after ya swallow, ya get more bitterness.
The one thing that really got me with this beer is the 1st time I had it, I loved it...so I bought a case. Got home and poured myself one after drinking a porter. Big mistake. This beer, more so than others, really relies on a clean mouth....or at least one that was drinking something similar. Even going from certain IPAs to this beer, the 1st few sips may be a bit off. Some popcorn here to clear the mouth would be a good idea.
Definitely a beer that can grow on you though!

01-28-2004 17:41:16 | More by DrunkenPanther
TheLongBeachBum

4.25/5  rDev +3.7%

Presentation: 12 ounce brown glass bottle, colorful label with the usual Victory flair in design. A diatribe down the left hand side has a very Lagunitas feel about it, it is basically a load of bollocks which is nevertheless fun to read. Listed as 8.5% Alc./Vol. and Bottled on Dec. 11-03.

Appearance: I am surprised to see how clear this beer is; I expected a murkier offering. Orange gold color that has a lively off-white head. Smooth, creamy and cumulus, the head has good staying power and leaves some good wall markings. Nice levels of conditioning with some soft lacing rings during the drink.

Nose: Some flowery hops and a thin acerbic bitterness. Strong acidic qualities come through in the middle, it reminds me of a mix of acidic ‘Orange & Lemon’ boiled sweets that I used to purchase when a child in the UK. Floral at times, citric and acidic, it lacks the usual aggressive hop character of other Imperial IPA’s and replaces them with a more palatable fruity-bouquet like Hop character.

Taste: Lots of oranges and citric acidity in the beginning. A tangerine start rises to reveal a bitter hop character that remains Satsuma in character. Lingering grapefruit and lemon dry bitterness slakes the back of the tongue. The bitterness levels are actually quite low I found.

Mouthfeel: Big and very bold, acidic and citric, juicy and fruity. It’s a kicker. Solid feel.

Drinkability: The Drinkability is appealing and very enduring, but the flowery floral citric character is a tad too much for me to be honest after a while. Whilst the acidity and citric aspects are welcomed, the high levels of "orange" in this beer are a little off-putting after half a bottle; I would have liked a more rasping hoppiness to kick my ass.

Overall: A very acidic & citric IPA that is incredibly appealing, but a little too “flowery” at times for me. Thanks to Rotsaruch for delivering this to xlperro whilst on his recent travels, and thanks to xlperro for passing this one on to me, for which I am eternally grateful. I’ll enjoy the "orange hop burps" at work tomorrow for sure.

01-27-2004 08:51:07 | More by TheLongBeachBum
jcalabre

3.43/5  rDev -16.3%

clear yellow, hoppy, mild musty nose. Defintely need to let this one sit out to open up. This is far more a big APA than an Imperial IPA. Tasting this side by side w/ yulesmith, dreadnaught, 90 minute, ruination, I2IPA & white knuckle, it was the odd one out, style wise. It didn't have the look or flavor of what I'd expect of an imperial IPA, especially when the others did. I plan to retaste this soon, side by side, with Stone 7th, which I think is far more comparable.

01-25-2004 02:26:12 | More by jcalabre
HiroProtagonist

Maryland

4.72/5  rDev +15.1%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Duvel tulip, with a thick off-white head forming. The head quickly resided leaving behind nice and sticky arched lacing patterns. The beer was an absolutely beautiful glowing hazy golden honey-orange...a unique hue of orange I haven't observed before. It screams deliciousness.

Smell: Fresh orange and grapefuit citric hoppiness, with some pineapple aromatics...the clarity was amazing! There wasn't much else in the nose that I could detect, though I didn't think anything else was needed.

Taste/mouthfeel. The beer pulls in smooth and nectar-like, quickly opening up with an explosion of hoppy bitterness that exudes the aromatics described in the smell, carried on nice carbonation. Chewing the beer combined with retro-olfaction resulted in the maximal exposure to all of the aromatic hoppy goodness. I couldn't get enough of it! The sweetness was minimal, and the finish was crisp and refreshing. I really loved this one, and wish I had a case of it. Well done Victory! Big thanks to beergeek279 for making this review possible.

01-19-2004 04:05:30 | More by HiroProtagonist
RoyalT

4.47/5  rDev +9%

Appearance - Light orange in color and very hazy with some visible carbonation. The head came up modestly but what was there looked great and showed good retention.

Smell - The complex hops are led off by the huge pine resin. This aspect of the aroma is extremely strong. Other than Silver City's Whoop Ass IPA I can't think of anything else that I've had with this sharp of a scent.

Taste - Yes, this one is the hop monster. It tastes similar to Jack's Double Dry-Hopped IPA. The pine resin is big as Mt. Ranier and is as strong as I've had to date.

The complex nature of the ale comes out next. The balance achieved by all of these flavors is incredible. The effect is that you have these huge flavors that should kill a horse, yet they all go down smoothly. Too good for words.

Mouthfeel - This shares the exceptional balance and smoothness with its Hop Devil cousin. It is well over medium-bodied.

Drinkability - Too much hops? Never! This ale was exceptional and lived up to the hype.

Comments - Huge thanks to francisweizen for sending me a few of these bad boys.

Update - I first tried this beer in 2004 so thought I'd revisit the review in 2010. The ale has mellowed quite a bit. I don't know if they changed the recipe but its much more mainstream now. This is still a terrific beer but I've had to slightly drop a few of m ratings down a bit.

01-16-2004 04:10:04 | More by RoyalT
scottum

Vermont

3.43/5  rDev -16.3%

Well this one arrived on my doorstep frozen solid. Thawed it out in the old fridgeskie.

Pours out a hazy pale amber with a crazy huge white head. Hops are big. Hops are very big. There is malt balance, but the hops run the show here. Not as good as Stone's badboy IPA, but a solid east coast attempt. Mmmm hops.

01-13-2004 21:30:08 | More by scottum
erica

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

Victory Hop Wallop. I had a bottle of the 1st batch way back when... oh wait that was only a few weeks ago.. but i didnt have much and i forgot too much to review it a few days later. Then yesterday I brought over to my bf's house a case of batch2 and had a whole bottle of that, and later a whole bottle of the 1st one.

So... I remember! :) The 2nd batch 1st- Pretty golden color with a white head, not too big but it was there pretty much the whole time. It smelled like a hop factory inside a florist to me, very strong. I liked it cos of the floral aroma, I mean it wasnt too too hoppy. I am/was not the craziest about super hop beers, but i'm starting to like them and appreciate them more. OK, so the taste was actually a lot like the smell but somehow a bit more mellow, not as extreme, but it was still an extreme hopfest. I couldn't taste the alcohol at all but felt it a little when I was done. I guess I'd say hoppy, but balanced just enough to take the edge off the big bitterness. It was good. Mouthfeel was fine, nice and smooth, and drinkability I think would be very good but I can't take all that hoppiness all night, but in time i could see drinking it all night.

Batch 1 a few hours afterwards, revisited- Same colour, but there was a bigger white head. I had to wait to drink it. Similar aroma but more floral even. Seriously, this beer might've just been brewed in a flower bed. Anyway, the taste was very different, I thought. It was much more mellow. Not in-your-face hops. It was hoppy but I could taste the malts more, and it wasn't very bitter. Again I couldn't taste the alcohol. Same mouthfeel and drinkability apply here.

I liked this one better. But I liked them both, so I guess in general I like Hop Wallop. Very nice.

01-09-2004 17:08:43 | More by erica
crookedhalo

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pours a glowing, hazy bronze. Thick beige head, leaving good lacing. Ruby red grapefruit, piney, spicy (I mean spicy) hop character. Astringent, almost cat urine smell; it's that spicy. Big on the citrus, even in the taste. If you fear the hop, do not drink this. Seems that Victory's really bent over backwards for this brew. This beer has launched itself into rockstar status. Now everyone raise clenched fist, bang head and scream "Hop Wallop!" repeatedly.

01-08-2004 02:25:05 | More by crookedhalo
ChappyCubsFan

4.75/5  rDev +15.9%

Thanks to Pisskynights for sending me this brew (my first Hop Wallop) in the BA holiday beer exchange.

Once again I'm amazed and in awe at the taste of a Victory Brewing product. The pour is thick and creamy with a hop aroma that is enticing. The beer is so smooth and accented with a slight touch of sweetness from the malts. It's a very complex recipe and a different taste altogether from the big bold California IPA's I've been used to, and that makes it hard to detect the hops used in this brew. But I would venture to guess Columbus and Cascade hops are used. This beer was a real treat. Now its only a legend I can share with friends, unless of course they brew more of this and ship it out to California.

01-04-2004 05:47:08 | More by ChappyCubsFan
bditty187

Nebraska

4.53/5  rDev +10.5%

Since I joined BA Hop Wallop has easily been the most hyped beer. People who had it made those without it envious. The attention this beer has received has been nauseating. Still I needed to try it. Could the masturbatory blather about this beer be true? Could the expectations be met?

Clear peachy-gold hue with a slight tawny highlights, the head was creamy in color and texture, it reached about a finger in height. A pleasantly looking beer, there is less color depth than most great IPAs however. The head retention was admirable, it faded to half its size slowly and the soapy cap hung tough. Spotty, sparse lacing. The bouquet is glorious in its hoppiness, there is good depth and layers and layers of hops. It is grapefruit rinds, lemon flesh, grapefruit flesh, pine needles, wild flowers, and distant dashes of spiciness at the end. The potency is solid. The nose is absolutely lovely but Spilker Ales Hopalleuia has a better hoppy nose in my estimation. There is something very special about the palate, it lacks the raw authority of Town Hall’s Masala Mama but it has tremendous hoppy depth. The more I sipped the more layers became prevalent, at times it was hot and spicy, at times it was pine needles and sap, at times it was lightly flowery and grapefruity, at times it was harsh rinds of citrus fruit. At times it was all of the above. Behind the hoppiness there is a creaminess and a soft, malleable maltiness. Whatever the malt brings flavor-wise is lost on the tongue, which is a little bit of a shame. The 8.5 abv is masked, completely hidden, a tremendous brewing accomplishment. This is beer is far too big to be this easy to drink! It is medium in body, but I’m apathetic about the mouthfeel, the creamy, smooth, low carbonation is terrific but the bulk in the body is a little lacking. The aftertaste is nothing but hops, lots of hops. It is very appetizing, slightly hot, slightly dry, slightly juicy, and slightly acidic. This is a wonderful IPA, it really is, but is it drastically better than the dozens of great IPAs on the market? Probably not. The fact that it is bottled helps its reputation grow, the fact it is a limited edition helps too and the fact that Hop Wallop has origins on the East Coast helps the hyperbole run rampant. I am very grateful to francisweizen for the sample, thank you very much. I loved quaffing it and I wish I had a case in my cellar right now. Highly Recommended… just remember this beer is mortal and try to set aside the amazing about of publicity it has received.

01-03-2004 18:12:21 | More by bditty187
ElGuapo

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

As I walked into the Standard Tap, I was very delited to see the selection of local Philly brews. Then I saw Victory IPA. Hmmm, could it be, or is it Hop Devil. All it took was one simple question, and then the three of us each had a pint of Hop Devil's big bro in front of us. It was a dark brew for an IPA with a massive covering of white head. The hop aroma was oozing out and probably filling the entire room.

There are those beer that are hoppy, and then there are those that are intensly hoppy sip after sip. The very last drop was still loaded, and it is awesome that you never really get used to the hops. There is some balance in there, and the alcohol is hidden very well. It is drinkable, and I looked forward to every in the face swig. As it warms, it only gets better. I really hope that Victory will make this again.

01-03-2004 14:03:49 | More by ElGuapo
ithacabaron

4.22/5  rDev +2.9%

Sampled at cellar temperature.

Pours a bright apricot colored body with a fluffy head.

Aroma is very hoppy, and somewhat astringent. Hops are mildly spicy, and have a good dose of pine sap in them (although not pine tar). Although it is resinous in character, it is a clean sap smell, as opposed to the "dirtier" smell of, say, a Southern Tier IPA (which is good in it's own right).

Taste was not what I was expecting. The hops here were more floral in character, with a soft approach on the palate. There is not a heavy body or malt character -- in fact, it seemed a bit thin at first -- but then I realized that this was in fact a positive, as too many IIPAs that I had tasted were really more barleywine-like in character.

It was nice to try an IIPA that I could have a few of, if I was really inclined to do so (although I imagine you wouldn't want to try and stand up right afterwards).

Overall, this may be my favorite IIPA that I've tried, although Rogue's I2PA is right there with it. I have a case, will be cellaring at least half, and look forward to the next incarnation of this.

01-03-2004 05:29:00 | More by ithacabaron
aaronh

4.58/5  rDev +11.7%

Pours an orange-amber color topped by a modest white head. Sweet floral aroma with a touch of herbalness atop mild citrus. Taste is sweet and floral up front, with decent pine notes in the mid. It finishes with a fairly pithy grapefruit rind flavor on the finish. Really nice how the honey sweetness plays with the triumverate of bitterness without getting to a puckering state. The lingering grapefruit finish detracts from the overall experience. Mouthfeel is solid. Drinkability is very good. This one does pack a wallop. And it's very nice for the lovers of hops. Hopefully a few more cases will be made next year.

01-03-2004 02:20:28 | More by aaronh
QXSTER1

4.68/5  rDev +14.1%

Not much to add to previous reviews except that this is one extraordinary brew. Big, juicy and thick and packed with flavor. As with other greats it expands the envelope. The explosion of hops is followed by a smooth, rounded fruitness and develops a mouthfeel that is unreal. Had this on-tap and can't imagine it being any better in the bottle. With Hop Wallop's reception I would imagine the Victory boys will be brewing more of the this for the eastern market soon.

01-01-2004 01:35:08 | More by QXSTER1
BierReise

4.53/5  rDev +10.5%

Pours a clear golden color with a thick white head. Retention is good. Aroma is all hops, piney citrusy and fruity with notes of peaches in heavy syrup. Also has a grassy note in there as well. Malt is there but way underneath the hops. Has a nice full Imperial like body that is slightly syrupy with hop resin. Flavor is sweet and with a lasting bitterness that really lingers with each mouthfull. Again as with the aroma, the flavors are mostly from the hops and are a blend of citrus and pine with an emphasis on peaches in my opinion. Malt is there to give it a some balance and finish is just the right amount of bitterness. Overall a top Imperial IPA which I hope will become a regular at Victory.

12-31-2003 22:20:54 | More by BierReise
IrishRedRock

4.88/5  rDev +19%

Being that I was unable to score some of this in bottles (as of yet) and probably won't be able to, I consider myself extremely lucky to have stumbled upon it on draught at the Standard Tap. It was simply listed as "Victory IPA." ...

--"Hey is that HopDevil on draught?"
--"No, its their new IPA, comes in around 9%"
--"WOO HOO!!! ahem...3 pints please."

Ok, if you don't think this is an imperial IPA, then really, what is? Pretty solid alcohol character in the finish, and this thing really is over-the-top in hoppiness. Has a nice deep golden color with a well retaining white head. The nose is filled with overpowering hops and pine. The flavor follows, like chewing on a combination of hops, pine needles, and pinecones. This baby is piney. There's a very slight cherry-like malt sweetness centered around the hoppy start and the hoppy/mild alcohol finish. Mouthfeel is smooth and buttery, with some mild carbonation. A hophead's paradise would be filled with an endless supply of kegs of Hop Wallop. Try to get some of this stuff. At this point, I'll be frank: this beer is totally kickass.

12-28-2003 15:36:24 | More by IrishRedRock