Hop Wallop - Victory Brewing Company

Hop WallopHop Wallop

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Beer added by: Todd on 12-17-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Wallop Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,892 | Hads: 3,658
3.16/5  rDev -22%

Appearance: Slight chill haze on a straight gold body. Head is creamy and white and super sticky. Drops to a wispy cap and chunky collar. Sheets and huge notches of lacing.

Smell: Some pine. Grapefruit flesh and some oily zest. Slight resin. Malts are big, chewy, and slightly sweet. Some mild roasted malts. Touches of caramel sweetness. Really smells like bread dough dusted with hops. Mildly herbal as it warms. Pithy.

Taste: Pithy floral hops. Like drinking flower petals. Vaguely herbal and earthy as well. Some grapefruit flesh mingles with some slightly sweet, incredibly bready malts. Some caramelized sugars. Cooked malts. Doughy. Warms and some of the sweetness drops. Juicy, oily hops. Dry biscuits and crackers.

Mouthfeel: Slick, oily mouthfeel. Medium body with a moderate carbonation. Smmoth and a touch creamy.

Overall: Hippies had a hand in this.

So floral it's crazy. Like a pithy flower perfume. Less than desirable in the long run. (959 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -22%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

12oz bottle, best by OCT-9-09

Pours a glowing orange color with a small rim of white foam. Piney hops and a large malty, sweet, brown sugar cookie character underlying in the nose, dont really know what all thats about. Resinous, oily hops invade without any true distinction, i cant get over cake-like malty sweetness going on here, the dreaded gym sock smell picks up later in the glass, the quaff ends very bitter and with a slight breath of alcohol. Medium bodied, with some rather weak carbonation. I've never been a diehard Hop Wallop guy but of course the first time i go to review a bottle i get the worst one ive had yet. (631 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -22%

A crisp amber pour with a billowing ivory head. Minimal lacing.

Smell was the first disappointment. Underwhelming spicy and earthy hop character. Caramel malt blows in stronger.

The hops are also absent from the palate. Not the hop bomb I was expecting. Malty. Boring.

No complaints with the mouthfeel. Carbonation fits nicely with the thicker body.

I'm being very lenient when I give this a 3 for drinkability. The first beer was a drain pour for me. A drinkable beer if you think of it as an Imperial Pale Ale.

Overall, this beer was a tremendous disappointment. The six-pack was supposed to be fresh, yet it tasted like a DIPA that had been sitting out for months, losing all the hop character I enjoy. It did not fit the citrusy/floral/piney American Double IPA profile (certainly not of the West). Hopdevil was also disappointing. Victory brewing makes an incredible pilsner and RIS, but I am not impressed with their "hoppy" beers. Too malty. Not hoppy enough. Poor representations of their styles. (1,009 characters)

3.14/5  rDev -22.5%

Slight copper tinge with a huge white head. It could be mistaken for a german pilsner.

Citrus hop smell. Smells good but not really the over-the-top hop aroma I had been expecting.

The first sip is weird. Citrus acidity with bitterness, no real malt character. The second sip reveals the backbone, but with a very apparent bitterness. By the third sip I can find more malt sweetness, but the hop never fades. Very unbalanced and one dimensional. The alcohol is well hidden though.

A bit thin for a regular IPA, nevermind a double.

I think I would get burned out on this beer after a couple (or maybe this one).

I LOVE hops, but I also love character. Ultimately, hop wallop is a boring hop-bomb. Worth the experience, considering the hype, but I wish I had bought a single. (788 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -22.7%

Appearance: Golden straw honey color with a cloudy mid-belly and a fluffy ivory cap.

Smell: Floral hop aromas, honeysuckle, and a strong flowery profile.

Taste: Bittering and flowery hop presence, a touch of light honey sweetness, and a light bittering finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium to light with lively carbonation.

Drinkability: Too light. Hop Devil has this one beat hands down. I definitely got the "Hop" part of this beer but the "Wallop" part escapes me. Too many other good ones out there to bother with this one again any time soon. (548 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -23%

A: Pours a clear yellow-gold with a finger of white head that recedes into a thin layer with minimal lacing.

S: Lots of citrusy hops in the nose of this beer--some pineapple at first followed by sweet grapefruit. Fairly sweet smelling, but good.

T: Despite all of the citrusy hops in the aroma, there are very few citrus notes in the flavor. Some slight grapefruit flavors at first followed by very strong pine and resin flavors. The finish is very bitter, lingering well after the sip.

M: Medium-light body with medium carbonation, this beer has a bit of an oily feel to the body.

O: The nose promises so much but the taste fails to live up to it. Not bad, but too bitter for my tastes. (691 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -23.5%

I agree very much with the review two below this one.. Good if you're a hophead, danger if you're not. I'm not. Still, I'd like to say some positive things as well. The taste has been beaten to death, so let me take a crack at a new approach:

Advantages: More flavor and aroma than last year's batch. More fruity aromas and complexities to a rather overpowering taste. With a whole lot of imagination, you can pull different flavors out of this brew like orange and bread that were not as present last year.

Disadvantages: After you drink this, your palate is shot for the night. It is the hot sauce of beers. The lingering bitterness is a hophead's dream but the belgian man's nightmare.

It looks good, it smells damn refreshing, but the taste is a polarizing killer.

Victory rarely disappoints, and this is a novelty, extreme-specialty beer. I'm sure those for whom it was made will love it.. it's not my cup of tea. (931 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -23.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

This pours a crystal clear, light golden color with a fairly large, white head that left lots of goodies on the glass.

Pure hop on the nose. Smells like I stuck my face in a resiny pine bow. Can pick up some orange citrusy notes as well.

The taste is similar to if I stuck a hop cone directly into my mouth and munched on it, then squirted some orange juice on a pine cone and took a big bite of that. This leaves a crazy bitter hop after taste on the palate. I was burping up hops all night long.

The mouthfeel is quite light, the carbonation was lacking, however, IMO with the amount of hops in this you really do need more of a sparkling carb factor. For those of you who have seen the movie "Me, Myself and Irene," picture the scene where Jim Carey walks into the police station with horrible cotton mouth: the white, chalky lips drawn tight over his teeth with that ridiculous sneer...that's how my mouth felt after this beer. (934 characters)

Bottle (2011)

Texas Liquor
Carlsbad, CA

A clear, almost straw yellow. Not a huge head nor a lot of lacing. Far lighter in color than most any other DIPA I've ever tried.

A relatively faint, bready, malty, and somewhat sweet nose. Not a huge amount of hops. Disappointing.

Quite a bit of hop bitterness but little else. A little cracker malt and some sweetness, but the main component is just a simple, relatively uninteresting bitterness.

Not quite carbonated enough. Has a lot of room for improvement.

An all around, boring, incredibly average DIPA. Where I find most DIPAs go wrong is having too much malt character where the hops are overshadowed or too much biting and hot alcohol presence. This beer doesn't have either of those, it's just so boring. This beer seems to beg it's way in to being average. I've had this beer twice now, wanting to give it a second chance, (and this time I knew it was fresh), and it was incredibly disappointing both times. I won't buy this again. (989 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -24%

Pours out a cloudy yellow with a fluffy white head. Some sheet of lace where left as I drank this. Aroma is a combination of citric hoppiness and a strong alcohol scent. The alcohol really doesn’t let the hops shine through like they should in the style. Taste is very similar with citric and earthy hops being big up front. The alcohol unfortunately is a big part of the taste, and not in a good way. Mouthfeel is about average with ok drinkability. I was expecting a lot more of this when it came out after the rave reviews last years version had. This one fell short and I regret buying a case before I tried it. When it was fresh the same problems stood out so I gave it some time and it still seems to have an overpowering alcohol presence. Hopefully this years version will be better. (791 characters)

12oz bottle thanx to honest dave

A: pourd a golden yellow into my tulip that had a finger of head with a little bit of sticky lacing on the glass.

S: right away I get bready biscuit aromas with a hint of citrus fruit but not getting any hops on this one.

T: Not a very hoppy beer for carring the name hop wallop. I do get a slight biterness at the end of a sip. It has more of a malt backbone with a hint of citrus and booze.

M: meduim body with good carbonation, but doesn't help propel the overall flavor.

D: I can drink this like a session beer and probably would only drink a couple. Not a favorite of mine from victory. (629 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -24%

12 oz bottle with an enjoy by date of Nov 3, 2011 poured into my nice tulip glass. At 5 months out from the enjoy by date, I can't imagine this is THAT old.

Appearance - Slower side glass pour brings about a finger's worth of white head. Mix between creamy bubbles outside and slightly rockier ones on the inside. Head lasts a decent amount of time. Color is a bit of a cloudy lemon amber. Makes me think of lemon just looking at it, not quite sure why. If anything a lighter color than I expect for a DIPA.

Smell - The nose actually seems a little subdued to me especially for a DIPA. I'm picking up lemon/citrus, floral, and maybe some earthy hops along with sweetness. I feel like I'm getting also a little bit of a Saison-type smell or a Belgian yeast smell (Idk what type of yeast Saisons are brewed with). This does compliment the lemon citric character, but in my mind, just average for a DIPA aroma.

Taste - At first sip I get a mix of bready malt, citrus and floral hops, possibly some pine, but I may be confusing that for some of the bitterness. I feel like I'm getting hints of spice as well (like the Saison hints in the nose suggest). Hops are not as wallop-y as I expected from something named Hop Wallop and described as a "very hoppy ale". It's definitely a DIPA. Alcohol is not present at all, hidden very well, but shows its effects pretty quickly. Personally, I feel like the malt is too balancing and the mix of hops just don't do it for me. That said, it's not a bad beer, just not my preference for the style. In my mind really feel like this is just an average DIPA.

Mouthfeel - Mouth is nice and light, almost an airy smooth quality to it. Medium carbonation and a light-medium body. Finish is average, but good length and leaves the mouth pretty wet. Drinkable. Again just about an above average feel for a DIPA.

Overall - Overall, basically just an average DIPA for me. Can't sat this was a bad beer, but can't say I thought it was good either. Worth a try since it gets high grades from many other people. I just didn't really feel it. (2,068 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -24%

Pours hazy lemon yellow with a generous white head that doesn't stick around long. Very slight lacing.

Smell is crisp, piney, and a little on the sweet side. Overall, the aroma profile is a little thin.

Taste is smooth and sweet up front. Then a massive blast of floral and grassy hops takes over. Surprisingly strong bitterness that lingers throughout the finish. Definite warming alcohol. Very dry and clean.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied. Sticky and resinous.

A must try for a hop head. But for me this DIPA was too one dimentional. Massive hops are great, but I would have enjoyed something to balance it. A little more 'juicyness' and a stronger malt backbone for complexity would have been appreciated. The Massive hop flavor is extremely dry with cloying sweetness. Not my favorite. (798 characters)

3.07/5  rDev -24.2%

Aroma
Very vibrant piney, citrus scent with essence of lemon and lime. Nice.

Mouthfeel
Medium carbonation, almost puckering bitterness in the mouth a bit of body and slightly heavier than water but not too much.

Appearance
Poured translucent copper/light amber coller in a normal pint glass with a slight white head with larger bubbles. Head dissipating quickly but there is slight lacing off what is left.

Taste
Scent doesn't lie, strong pine taste seems to come through to me with some citrus notes which overshadow virtually anything else. This is all hop taste to me.

Drinkability
This is a one and done I believe, bitterness a bit too high for what I like and seems like it would be overpowering rather quickly. With that 8.5% abv wouldn't let you get too far, but bitterness is main obstacle here.

Overall
I want to like it for the scent but I think they could have balanced this out a bit. There are good IPAs in this abv range with large amounts of IBUs I just don't think this is it. (997 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -24.7%

Ouch! That hurts.
Well, it has a nice look to it. Golden yellow with a big creamy head. The aromas are intense and interesting. Grassy and herbal, piney and unrelentingly hoppy. What a surprise. I swear I can almost see resins beginning to crystalize on the lip of the glass.
The first sip is overpoweringly medicinal. Actually unpleasant. For me this wallop is way over the top, all out of balance. Although I love a good IPA, I suppose I'm not a hophead. However, I'm open-minded and I'll try this again, along with others of the ilk. (538 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -24.7%

12 oz bottle (best by 12/16/2011) poured into a Duvel Tulip

A: Pours golden pale yellow/straw, 1 inch white foamy head that slowly dissipates. Leaves little lacing.

S: Ton of grapefruit, citrus, lemon, pine in the background, smells sweet

T: There's something that just tastes off and soapy. There's almost a cloying sweetness that adds to the off-taste. Citrus flavors are there but seem to fade in and out, there's a good bit of bitterness but I don't really get pine. Finish is bitter soap and medicinal (ibuprofen comes to mind). I'm not sure if it's a combination of the grapefruit and hops, but I just didn't find this pleasant and I generally love grapefruit IPAs (ie, Smuttynose IPA). Perhaps I got a bad bottle.

M: Medium carbonation, medium body, sticky and resiny

D: I did drink this fairly quickly, trying to see if I could get passed the soapiness and make pick something else up, but alas, I couldn't. Just tastes like someone dropped a bar of soap into a rather bland IPA.

I'm not sure if this is a bad bottle or what, but it didn't taste right to me. As I said, I love Grapefruit IPAs and I love HopDevil, but this just tastes bad. (1,155 characters)

3.04/5  rDev -24.9%

Served in flute.

A: Clear golden honey, very sturdy off-white head. I may be hallucinating but I thought I detected a greenish tone in the shadows of the fluffy stuff. Very nice appearance.
S: Freshly mowed lawns and corn husks.
T: No mysteries here, a clear sharp hop note (actually din) right off. A lot of pine rather than citrus (in fact no citrus), some bread dough in the end but...
Not a lot of other textures or tastes, and it finishes a bit weak.
M: A little soapy. Does not hold up very well after the first hop hit. Despite the head retention, very little carbonation detected on the tongue.
D: Not my cup of tea. I'll pass. With the hop craze in full swing, there are so many better ones out there. (711 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -25.2%

Bottle purchased as a single from Wine and Beer Westpark in Glen Allen, VA - DFH snifter

Pours a yellowy color with decent head, decent lacing. Smells kind of corny and slightly hoppy. Not sure where the hops are here. Taste is very bitter which i like, but the after taste is corny like a low grade lager almost. Feels a little thin and overall, I would not buy this again. Victory lets me down yet again.. .. (411 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -25.2%

A- Clear, light golden color. No sediment of any kind, a lot lighter than expected. Small amount of head retention that leaves a little froth at the top.

S- Um... where is the malt backbone here? It smelled like some slightly floral and piney hops with water. Mostly pine.

T- Same as the smell. I was so surprised by how little malt there was. This was just all about the hops.

M- Pretty thin. There is not that much to this beer. Just some piney hops and bitterness.

D- Overall a pretty average DIPA. For some reason I pretty much gave up on this about half way through and just started to drink it without thinking about it and I seemed to enjoy it more that way.

After all the raving about this beer, I was excited to pick some up. Now all I think is I wouldn't go out of my way to get my hands on this. (822 characters)

3.02/5  rDev -25.4%

A - Weak yellow with a clean white head reduces to a cap of bubbles. Spotty lacing.

S - Some pine hops, minimal dry malty background. Not particularly strong in the nose.

T - Very bitter piney, grassy hops up front, and that's it. Not much of a malt profile to speak of. Gets a bit more citrus profile as it warms.

M - Medium body and carbonation, not bad.

O - Meh, not a terrible beer but unremarkable, hops are just plain bitterness with little balance. (463 characters)

3.01/5  rDev -25.7%

Bottle stamped: Enjoy by Nov 9 2010
Poured into my Kwak glass (I lack a better alternative at the moment).

A: An impressive amount of slowly fading, creamy head sits atop a clear golden-straw colored beer. Scattered lacing all around the glass.

S: Very grassy hops hit the nose up front. There is also a strong lemon/pine presence in the hop aroma. Very simple malt follows up the hop scent.

T: Seems like the malt hits the palate first, and it's pretty basic. Little touches of caramel, but not much else. Behind that there is again, very grassy, somewhat lemony piney hops.

M: Smooth and creamy, but the bitterness lingers for a long time and is fairly unpleasant. Everything else hits spot on, but it's just too...earthy?

D: It's a decent beer, but that lingering bitterness just kills this category for me. I'm hard pressed to finish the one I have, let alone drink another. (884 characters)

Bought a single, with a best before date of October 23, 2007.

A- a Bright gold in color, but hazy. A thin off-white head.

S- Scent of hops and yeast. Not strong however.

T- It tasted strongly of bittering hops, however the finishing hops seem muted.

M- Very carbonated, with a dry finish.

D- This is not one of Victory's better brews, maybe the bottle I sampled wasn't handled properly, but I expected more from this brewery. (442 characters)

a: clear golden color, with single strip of carbonation in the middle, nice head that dissolves very quickly, no real lacing
s: herbal like pine combs with medicinal hints
t: front-end is sweet, but the hops make their appearance known at the end with a bitter kick
m: light body, some carbonation
d: not bad, but have enjoyed others more. flavor is too herbal for me and didn't go down too smoothly. a disappoint as i've really enjoyed some other victory brew. (465 characters)

Had this on tap at a local pizza joint. Nothing terribly spectacular, just your average American Double IPA.

Poured a nice red/gold color, with a minimal half-inch head. Smell was fresh and thin.. like just a bit of straw and fruit and that's it. Taste was good.. clean and fresh, a fair amount of hops and sugar as well. I would have this beer again, but I think there are others out there that are better. (409 characters)

2.99/5  rDev -26.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a tulip glass.

A: Pours a beautiful pale blonde with a snow white head. Aho would have thought? A India PALE ale that's actually pale.

S: Smells pretty weak hop-wise. There's a lot of sweetness and thin hints of hop, but there is very little hop aroma.

T: Nothing here either...I would not have guessed this was a DIPA if I hadn't been told. Its plenty of light caramel malt sweetness, but where are the hops??? Only in the aftertaste do I taste that grapefruit flavour I wanted...but even then its thin and metallic.

D: Not something I'd buy again, this is just a below average DIPA that's way too sweet. Without sufficient bittering, the booze is to strong to call this "drinkable".

Overall: Man, this tasted like a good DIPA that had been sitting for 3 years. I checked the date though, and its relatively fresh. Weak sauce! This is a depressingly subpar DIPA from a kick-ass brewery. C'mon Victory, what's up with that? I feel like HopDevil has more IBUs than this. If you want to call your beer Hop WALLOP, it sure as hell better wallop me...not even close. (1,098 characters)

Hop Wallop from Victory Brewing Company