Hop Wallop - Victory Brewing Company

Hop WallopHop Wallop

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-17-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Wallop Alström Bros
2.33/5  rDev -43.2%

A: very light gold, very transparent; almost looks like a pilsner

S: hoppy, a little vinegar-y, not much citrus or spice scents

T: while the initial taste is not bad, nice and hoppy but still pretty smooth, the residual taste is awful; tastes like vinegar, absolutely no malt taste

M: fairly smooth with some hop bitterness

D: very poor, could barely finish just the one; glad I got this one as a loose 12oz bottle and not a whole six-er; while the initial hop taste is okay, it has no other characteristics, no malt, no citrus, no spice; just a quick hit of hops with a vinegar-y remainder

JAZwara, Dec 12, 2010
2.35/5  rDev -42.7%

Appearance: Gold with a creamy off white head.
Smell: Malty, especially with caramel notes. Not too hoppy, save a little grapefruit and citrus.
Taste: Opposite of smell basically. Hops. And it is not a very balanced. Almost a cough syrup like taste, sadly. Not very good imo.
Mouthfeel: Mild carbonation that leaves the mouth dry.
Overall: Good on all fronts except the one that matters most. This is a very unbalanced beer that I probably will not buy for a while. Not recommended by me unless one is a very large hophead.

dafizzif, Apr 11, 2011
2.38/5  rDev -42%

Reviewing this after a second tasting. The first time i tried it I thought it might not be fresh. Here goes.

Pours a dark golden color into a standard pint glass. Decent amount of head, not much lacing. The smell is hops, and a a bitter musty smell that is present a bit in Victory's Prima Pils too. The smell works much better in the pilsner than it does in this IIPA. The distinct bitter mustiness that seems present in Victory beers just doesnt work for me in an IIPA. The hop presence is good, but the skunky musty taste detracts a ton. The mouthfeel is good, not too thick, but has some substance. The taste and strength of taste makes me think the drinkability is pretty poor.

pdoran10, Feb 14, 2010
2.4/5  rDev -41.5%

Bottle into a SN tulip.

Very pale. Yellow/orange with just a touch of haze. I enjoy ipa's that look like this, I dig the straw color. Makes it look crisp.
Pineapple, peach and plenty of pine. Smells a bit mild and also a bit one dimensional.I want IPA to really hit the nose hard and I can't say that this does that.
Kind of harsh in that the alcohol is very present and also the balance between bitter hops and aromatic hop is too far toward the bitter. I'm not getting the lush, fruity and floral flavors to balance the massive bittering additions.And I love huge bittering additions, they just didn't do it right. I would accuse this of not being fresh but the bottle reads: enjoy by aug 2011, so I figure unless they're dating their IPA at a year... Either way, this isn't very good or very bad.
The mouthfeel I like. Carbonation is perfect and the body is right where I think it needs to be.
Given the spot-on mouthfeel I think this had real potential for higher drinkability in a beer at more than 8%, but it's lack of huge aromas and hop flavors does more to allow the alcohol and bitterness to shine and that makes it less than enjoyable.

Won't give this another chance unless I find out that Victory dates their bottles a year out in which case this bottle is 4 months old. That would be really stupid, though.

commis, Jan 11, 2011
2.4/5  rDev -41.5%

First of all, let me start out by writing that I AM a hop head. I count as my favorites, Pliny the Elder, Pliny the Younger, and Rogue's Hop Heaven. And let met add, that I almost always love Victory's products. But this one is a major disappointment.
The best thing about this brew is the bottle appearance (the cute little label) and the slightly cloudy golden appearance as it is poured. It's fizzy, but virtually no head retention. This is all hops. While I didn't expect balance, I did not expect a total lack of malt.

BusyNinja, Nov 20, 2006
2.42/5  rDev -41%

OK i dont know if this is a bad bottle or what but this beer has gone horribly awry. DIPAs are normally my favorite style but this beer just doesnt make sense to me. i knew immediately from the smell that it was gonna be funky. its not oxidation. its kind of like some weird hard candy. Or the taste of advil when u let it stay in your mouth too long? Definite medicinal qualities. The alcohol is not hidden at all. The taste is just alcohol and some hops with cough medicine. Its bitter as fuck and not in a good way. im not gonna denounce victory because i know first hand that they are a more than respectable brewing company, and it may just be that i got a bad bottle, but this hop wallop was just not up to par.

redmagik99, Dec 15, 2007
2.45/5  rDev -40.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Did you ever have to chew an aspirin as a kid? Just wondering...

Pours a pale yellow with less than a finger of white head. Disappointing to say the least. The clarity is nice, but most of the other DIPAs I've tried have a more amber tone to them.

The smell is a somewhat acrid mix of alcohol and citrus - some earthy scents in there too (dirt?). This too was disappointing as I LOVE the nose on most IPAs and DIPAs. Avery's Maharaja, Bell's HopSlam, Tyranena's Hop Whore, DFH 90 Minute and Arcadia's HopMouth all have much more inviting aromas imo.

This stuff tasted like pure aspirin with a thin coating of pineapple. Bitter with little to no balance. Bitter for bitterness sake. I'm a hop lover at heart but this was too much.

Mouthfeel was too thin for the style. Again the pinch of bitterness rears it's head. The carbonation was good though but the overall texture left a lot to be desired.

As far as drinkability, I couldn't have more than one of these at a sitting. It's not a drain pour as there are hints of what makes the style great, but at least for this drinker, there is way too much bitterness to fight through to get to the goods.

Overall a disappointing beer - to each his own I guess.
I'll stick to the Hop Devil and Storm King. Victory will still get my business, but I doubt I'll be purchasing this one again.

Blybloke, Nov 29, 2006
2.45/5  rDev -40.2%

Poured a pale straw yellow with a small white head.

The aroma didn't really have any hops in it. I was surprised that it smelled mostly of pilsner malt with some light grainy notes.

The flavor of the beer was pretty hoppy. Mostly floral hops - not the typical citrusy/resiny Pacific NW flavors. The maltiness was light and biscuity. There didn't seem to be any fruity flavors that are typical of ales.

The mouthfeel was light and the carbonation was good. This beer was remarkably dry for being 8.5 percent.

But overall this beer didn't taste like a double IPA. In fact, it had few characteristics of any American-style ale. If this were a blind taste test, I'd peg this beer for an imperial pilsner, and not a good one at that. In fact, this beer sucked. What a disappointment from the brewery that makes my favorite pilsner.

SacoDeToro, Dec 12, 2006
2.48/5  rDev -39.5%

Pours- very golden pilsner-esc color. little to no head. with a haze

Aroma - very little hop aroma for a double ipa, I get alot of grainy aroma out of this with a slight but present marijuana note. citrus peel and pine in backround. Aroma overall is very unimpressive to me. I love DIPA and this is just lacking in that huge nose I expect. I don't know how old this bottle is, no born on date.

Taste - ok hop flavor, but it tastes more like an imperial pilsner to me. Very little in the way of big west coast hop flavors.

Mouthfeel - thin and dry

Drinkability - 1 and done for me, not worth the 8+%abv

Overall - Maybe this is just an old bottle or a bad batch because I love DIPA's and IPA's of all sorts and this one is just lame. I have to believe I am missing something cause this beer is so well rated on this site....confused

LukeD23, Jan 16, 2011
2.48/5  rDev -39.5%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a magners glass

the beer pours a nice golden color with a slight amount of haziness to it. there is a big 1-2 inch head that falls back to about 1/4 inch and statys.

the smell is a slightly fruity and mild hop aroma.

the taste is just a mild malt backbone with some hop bitterness, with no apparent hop flavor

mouthfeel is light and crisp

drinkability is lower than normal due to lack of hop character

rowingbrewer, Jan 17, 2011
2.5/5  rDev -39%

A - Pours a crystal clear golden yellow. Small/medium size white bubble head that is pretty organized.

S - Big fresh hop smell and a nice malt balance presence as well. Small sourness smell at the end.

T - Whoa big spice punch up front, to much for my taste. Whatever this spice is, it's way to much. Maybe this is a bad bottle? Anyway there is also a bready/wheat taste on the finish. The 8.5% is absolutely no where to be seen, awesome job in hiding that.

M - A spice tang is left on the back of the palate, but its an overall clean feeling.

D - I hope this is a bad bottle because this is way spicy and very hard to get through the bottle.

Yesac, Dec 11, 2008

biercycle, Apr 08, 2012

jfcaa193, Jan 30, 2012

ctrevino, Apr 21, 2012
2.53/5  rDev -38.3%

Review from notes taken while I enjoyed this beer last night at Fat Head's Brewery & Saloon in North Olmsted, Ohio. Poured from tap into a clean, clear glass.

A A little surprised to find a lager look a like in my glass with a nice head and good lacing. The body is very, very clear. 3.5

S Again, a slight surprise in that the smell was not very strong. After a few sniffs I picked up some sweet grapefruit bitterness but it was not obvious like I thought it might be. I liked the smell, though. 4.0

T Sweet malt actually hit me first and then the promised hops kick in and, well, I got walloped with them and they were so bitter that they were to the point of being acidic. This turns me off very frankly as it drives down the drinkability quite a bit. It is difficult for me to enjoy this level of bitterness. It felt as if the surface of my throat was deteriorating with this bitterness that lingered well into the aftertaste. I had to take several sips of water while trying to drink this. 2.0

M Well, huge with the bitterness, elevated ABV and even the sweet malt beginning. This time, though, I did not like the feel due to the spike of bitterness that lingered far too long. 2.5

D Again, driven down by the acid soak of hops bitterness. 2.0

Notes: I realize that the point was to have a very hoppy beer but this is too much for me. I found it to be too unbalanced.

adamette, Nov 08, 2009
2.55/5  rDev -37.8%

The beer is yellow and doesn't keep it's head, but there is some lacing down the glass. It smells of a blend of malt and mild citrus. The flavor is fairly one dimensional - hops. Unfortunately, the beer is missing the malt to back the hop flavor up. It's just a bitter, fizzy liquid.

I'm far from a hophead, but I try judge IPA's and the like fairly. This one just didn't work for me.

joerodiii, Feb 11, 2009
2.58/5  rDev -37.1%

Mixed dank and citrus nose. Mildly oxidized aroma. Taste is similar: a hint of oxidation, mild dank, and moderate citrus. Mildly astringent as well. Thin head, with good lacing. Mouthfeel thin-medium. No heat. I generally like Victory beers, and was pretty disappointed with this one.

Maurizio, Mar 08, 2014
2.58/5  rDev -37.1%

The aroma is very, very hoppy. All hops. Mostly citric it seems, maybe a little piney. But very hoppy.

And the taste?? Well...it's about as guessed. Somewhat floral hops upfront, but not as heavy as anticipated. From there though, they really become powerful, with strong citric hop bitterness lasting throughout the finish and seemingly only increasing in power through the aftertaste. The aftertaste is remarkable in its staying power of the bitterness...the grapefruit bitterness lasts a very long time. If there's malt presence here, I just don't get it.

This is a seriously hoppy beer, as advertised and expected, and packs a "wallop" with the ABV. I understand that this isn't the most bitter beer on the market, but for a non-hophead like myself, it's definitely plenty bitter...especially in the aftertaste.

NODAK, Jun 28, 2009

Best by Jan 2010 on bottle

Poured a hazy golden yellow with a 1 finger head and some sudsy lace.

Smell was musty, grassy, straw, wheat with light citrus. Also what I would describe as a cat piss smell.

Taste was grassy, wheat and some citrus with what another reviewer said best "farmhouse, horse funk". Good bitter hops.

Not terrible but that "farmhouse, horse funk" is something I could do without. Really took away from this brew for me.

SirDrinxAlot, May 18, 2009