2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Hop Wallop - Victory Brewing Company

Hop WallopHop Wallop

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-17-2003)
Ratings: 3,542 | Reviews: 1,890 | Show All Ratings:
OldFrothingSlosh

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

From the beer engine at Capital Ale House.

Cloudy bright apricot in color. Thick, sudsy white-colored head. Astounding amounts of lace on the glass....big, thick globs of lace. Aromas, though somewhat softened from what I recall, still resonate with esters of citrus fruit and raw pine oils. Flavor is ever so slightly smoothed around the edges vs. the bottled version. Copious backbone of malt pairs nicely with the inevitable onrush of hops. I didn't perceive the ABV as much with this serving type. Smooth fininsh of lingering juicy-bitterness. Amazing how the first (and second) pints disappeared. Awesome stuff, now easily available in the RIC. Giddyup.

12-16-2005 01:42:55 | More by OldFrothingSlosh
baldmasterflex

3.93/5  rDev -4.1%

Picked up just after thanksgiving from the brewery in one of their growlers (conveniently located just 15 minutes from where i reside).
Upon first pour i was disappointed, not from its appearance, but because i could have sworn i was served victory's pilsner or golden monkey due to its clear golden-orange-amber color. I was expecting a deep amber red. But, after getting a whif, there was no mistaking its identity. Smells like a mellowed grapefruit aroma. It has about a half inch head rising from a very slow pour. Its taste possesses that same mellow grapefruit-hoppy flavor that the smell does but with some citrus mixed in.
The body and drinkability are so uncharacteristic of other beers Ive had of this style (Stoudts DIPA). It is very light and finely carbonated, just like the prima pils i almost mistook it foor. If any DIPA could be a session beer, id say it would be Hop Wallop (if any 8.5% abv beer could be a session beer).
Although im not necessarily crazy about the style, Id definitly recommend this over and over again to someone who wants something with more of a kick when it comes to flavor.

Serving type: growler

11-26-2005 05:21:54 | More by baldmasterflex
burnstar

4.18/5  rDev +2%

Pint at Mad Mex. This beer is a dark gold with a nice big head that leaves excellent lacing. Smell is all hops- citrusy and piney. Taste is powerful hops- very bitter and citrusy. Quite delicious but there could be a litte more hop complexity here- the bitterness hits really hard and fast here and is obscuring some other flavors I think. There is some malt here but not enough to keep the hops in check which is perfectly fine for a double IPA. Mouthfeel is a very nice medium body feels quite nice in the mouth. Pretty drinkable for the style. A very nice beer overall.

11-20-2005 06:12:27 | More by burnstar
carlosd74

2.15/5  rDev -47.6%

I am a Hophead. That said I thought this 2005 release at Grey Lodge was disappointing. Maybe I was kidding myself since this is an Imperial IPA. I thought I'd give this one another chance since the only other encounter was with an expired bottle.

It was so offensive to my taste buds that I didn't even finish it. Even in light of the fact that the beer came with the purchase of a pint glass & t-shirt. I found it was eating my stomach up. I do not have a weak gut.

It was all hops and nothing else. It didn't even pour a nice head. Wallops your senses so that all you can detect are hops. It is so harsh I could not even tell what type of hops. It was simply caustic!

I'll take a Alpha King or Tuppers anyday over this loser from Victory.

These guys are much more capable than this!

11-06-2005 23:15:04 | More by carlosd74
jakester

4.45/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I had this on tap at UJ's on the Manatawny. It came in a pint glass.

Arrives a slightly hazy gold with a tangerine tint. Not much of a white cap sits on top, but it lingers there for most of the drink, with decent lacing.

Aroma is really fruity and hoppy, with notes of tropical fruits like mangos and papaya, grapefruit and lemons. Thick, sweet, bready malts, great smells.

The first flavor is unmistakeably mangos, very fruity and estery, followed by juicy citrus hop flavors like grapefruit and lemons, and a bit of pine in the back. There is a good deal of residual sweetness, but there's plenty of hop bitterness to balance. The malt character is big and chewy, and the ABV is very well hidden. Aftertaste is long and bitter and sweet. Fantastic!

Mouthfeel is full bodied, with a soft to medium carbonation. Lips stick together from sweetness. Great burps. Finish is sweet, with a big grab at your throat from bitterness.

This is a very nice DIPA. Really fruity, hoppy, malty, and just scrumptious. Alcohol is almost undetectable. Deceptively strong, and addictingly delicious.

11-06-2005 15:26:53 | More by jakester
charlatan

United Kingdom (Scotland)

4.03/5  rDev -1.7%

This is remarkably easily to down for a beer of such strength (and thus easy to be downed by). Alcohol is apparent in the taste, but not overwhelmingly so. The feel is rather syrupy with relatively little carbonation, but pleasantly creamy. This helps the beer slide down deceptively easily.

It doesn't have quite the hop kick that its name suggests it might, but the hops become apparent after a sweet caramel and citrus combination gives way and before the creaminess really kicks in.

Backtracking somewhat, it has a fairly light golden colour with a considerable head which leaves plenty of lacing and offers a piney, slightly citrus nose.

07-22-2005 09:19:32 | More by charlatan
Wonka

Maryland

4.6/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Firkinteenth @ Grey Lodge Pub 5-13-05

Appearance – the big creamy white head held on longer on the cask; the usually clear gold body in bottle moved aside for a very cloudy cream yellow body with particulates everywhere; lacing was admirable

Smell – powerful grapefruit rind; a kick up from the bottle

Taste – bitterness seems to be a bit higher than the bottle but there's some malt back there; the flavors were certainly exploding; bitterness holds for the aftertaste

Mouthfeel – much thicker than bottle; late in the cask, it was hop syrup

Drinkability - early in the cask, Wallop was smoother and much more pleasurable to consume; late, it could have almost been used to finish the tiles in your bathroom; of course, timing for the ultimate product is key

I had 3 samples and it was a great experience to run with the transitions of the cask.

05-22-2005 17:58:34 | More by Wonka
NeroFiddled

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Wow! This was the stand-out for me at the 13 May 2005 Friday the Firkinteenth at the Grey Lodge! Absolutely amazing! All of the rich maltiness was there, and it even appeared fuller because of the softer mouthfeel. It was the only beer I had all night (apart from Heavyweight's Hoppy Saison) that held a head and left lacing about the glass. The hop aroma didn't seem any fuller than usual, but it really didn't have to be. The hop flavors seemed to sink into the maltiness a bit more, and it was much rounder and incredibly drinkable! Of course, at 8.5% you are limited.... but I'd have drank it all night if I could (and almost did!).

05-14-2005 14:53:27 | More by NeroFiddled
blitheringidiot

Crystal clear amber light copper sheen revealing no carbonation bubbles topped off by a statuesque ivory off white 1/2 " cap is going nowhere fast. Tons of foamy lace. One slight swirl in the glass erupts a frothy foam.

Head cap almost detracts from the aromas of hops (not sure which are used) and some vanilla ice cream malts.

First swigs: Liquid hop lurking in the front with a malt back peeking out. 8.5% ABV is detectable. Sweet grassy pine notes. Bone dry aftertaste and tea leaf hop oil sizzle.

Feel is medium with sticky sweet hop oil but not quite a hop magnet. Plenty of sizzle.

Last swigs: Barely a double IPA. Forgo the "last year" hooey. This year is grass hops like 90 minute w/out the malt back. Kicked in $5 a pint at local Union Jacks.

Beer is good. Happy beering.

03-16-2005 06:56:45 | More by blitheringidiot
TheGipper

3.25/5  rDev -20.7%

Tasted a glass at the Victory event in NYC. I was looking forward to getting my hands on this ale, and I ended up somewhat disappointed. There was a lack of body, a thinness, which made the hoppiness evaporate after the first moments of sipping. Nice aroma, but the flavor just did not follow through. I'd call this more drinkable if it wasn't so high in alcohol. Not bad, but not what I expected.

03-10-2005 18:13:01 | More by TheGipper
donnebaby

4.18/5  rDev +2%

Huge flaky head combined with the knowledge of the ABV gave me premonitions of gunpowder power. Nose is mellow and super-thick, with caramel and hops combining to a very sweet overall effect.

Taste, also, is very sweet and full of alcohol, but not syrupy like the nose. Sharp alcohol gives the brew a sweet and salty strength. Spicy in intensity. But the main characteristic of the taste, which was not foretold by the restrained fumes, is the choking floral hop mouthful, that has to be the "wallop". The mouth fills up and doesn't want to move, grating and grinding unprocessed hops.

Had on-tap watching a Birds' game w a table full of wings -- and was compelled to switch over to a slightly more thirst-quenching brew. Drinkability is not amazing, but was expected. Nicely nasty double IPA.

01-10-2005 00:04:59 | More by donnebaby
shapudding

3.78/5  rDev -7.8%

From the tap it poured out clear with no carbination showing, beautifully ambered with no head. Even giving it a major swirling you maybe get a teensy bit of white dusting that appears. Barely any carbination in the mouthfeel, which I love. Just can feel it when you let it sit on your tongue for a moment, but barely feel it for a quick sip. Nice. Can't really smell anything from it -may be because the location seemed a bit smokey, or because we just climbed a wall of a hill to sit down to this pint and there was still some frostbite going on.... Just some hoppiness floating out, but not extreme. Maybe this batch was getting towards it's end, seemed to be getting more mellow than the last I had... the hoppiness is there, but not bitey or intense, just mellow. Nice and smooth feeling, not really creamy, but it feels good and flowing. This is a good, easy drinker with such pleasant tastes and feeling to it. Excellent session beer for anytime of the year, easy one to kill a huge volume of!

Had this one during our mini pub crawl in Manyunk on one of the colder nights... First beer in the Ugly Moose. The Blitheringidiot told JerseyDevil and I about this cool bar, "just up the hill".... If you are ever out with him and hear those words, RUN. Run as fast as you can in the other direction, -preferably not up the very, very cold steep hills of Manyunk!

01-09-2005 21:02:55 | More by shapudding
newyawker

4.22/5  rDev +2.9%

On cask. An amber yellow color, rich fluff of white turns into rings of lace as I drink the glass down. Real hoppy smell, like a flower garden. Taste is smooth, lots of hops with a bit of malt to maintain a delicious balance. Not so easy to drink a lot of these, its pretty strong but a great beer.

12-08-2004 20:14:24 | More by newyawker
Stimack

3.9/5  rDev -4.9%

Had this on tap the other night while at Mahar’s. The brew poured to a cloudy golden color with a nice thick head that left light lacing through out the brew. The aroma is over the top with Hop! Holy cow, the people with me could smell the hops and they where across the table! The aroma’s are of pine, grapefruit and lemon with a light alcohol smell. Not a bad smelling brew but probably has the most hop smell that I have come across yet. The taste is similar to the aroma’s, the hop flavors knock you for a loop and I can’t say that I picked up much of a malt flavor, but did notice a alcohol type after taste. All I can say is that I am glad that this was my last offering of the night because for the next few hours all I could taste was hop residue! A good brew, but not completely what I am looking for. Glad I was able to give it a try and will have it again!

12-05-2004 13:48:50 | More by Stimack
smcolw

3.85/5  rDev -6.1%

This is a very powerful beer--high in alcohol and VERY high in hop. The on-tap version pours slightly cloudy, golden with a nice head.

The aroma is largely flowery hop. My daughter thought it smelled like oatmeal...hmmm, I don't think so.

Flavor wise, you better like bitter, bitter beer. The hop is overwhelming. The only way I knew there was malt was from the alcohol and the color. The beer is surprisingly rich given the flavor. The carbonation is expectedly high as a balance to the richness. I would not categorize this beer as "drinkable" simply because it lies on the outer extreme of an extreme category. If you're looking for something different and special, try this one.

11-25-2004 16:53:10 | More by smcolw
jvajda

4.33/5  rDev +5.6%

Appearance: Good golden orange color and modest head.
Smell: It smelled of bug fruity, cascade hops. I was very impressed.
Taste: Big and mighty hop explosion of fruity sourness and deep bitterness. Although not as intense as DHF 90 Minute IPA, it still a monster beer. What most impressed me was the finish was far less salty than other DIPA's. Very good.
Mouthfeel: Not as creamy as I'd like, but good.
Drinkability: It's great to finally try it, and I'll definitely be trying more of it.

11-19-2004 04:11:38 | More by jvajda
edchicma

4.63/5  rDev +12.9%

I saved this brew for my 500th point and it was worth it! This has got to be one of the best hophead lover's delight. On tap at the Moan and Dove in Amherst, MA...thanks guys? This brew is just plain hoppy and dry, dry, dry....it dried my upper palate like a shot of whiskey and did the same down my throat. The only thing less than spectacular was the smell, which was still superb. It poured a medium gold with great lacing. Citrus hops were evident in the smell. The taste of the hops were there from start to finish...great!!!
Mouthfeel is dry, dry, dry...I loved it! Drinkability is a hophead's delight...this brew is a must for hop lovers.

11-13-2004 01:38:20 | More by edchicma
francisweizen

Arizona

3.4/5  rDev -17.1%

On-Tap at the sunset grill, in Allston (Boston)

Two words. What happened? This beer is completely different than the two limited Hop Wallop batches of 2003! The appearance is OK, but it is a little muddy, and the head did not last as long as I remembered. The aromas of this years batch were very subdued and even a bit malty. Where are all the fresh citrusy/piney hops!? They have been replaced with the aroma of "hot" alcohol! The taste is also not as I remember it....where are the hops!? This brew is not very hoppy at all, in fact it is very boozy and quite malty on the finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, but a bit sharp and hard to handle. "prickly" one could say. The drinkability remains good, as this is still an OK (if hot) beer, but where is my precious Hop Wallop!?

11-12-2004 22:28:11 | More by francisweizen
PatandDavid

3.73/5  rDev -9%

Oh, my marks are all over the place...that's because there were parts of this beer that rocked, and parts of this beer, that uh rolled. Let me adapt a beermail I exchanged with a few BAs for my review. There were some things I liked about it: Apearance wise: I liked the deep golden ginger ale color. I enjoyed the carbonation I could see clearly rising up in the glass. Came topped with a thin white head. I found it very drinkable/high drinkability. Seriously. I wanted another one, but decided to wait for the launch to get another one, and then that never happened. Also, it hid the alcohol well.

There were some things that weren't awesome. One was the aroma. I took the glass in hand, went sniff, and thought: what is that smell? Not whoa, that's hoppy, or mmm, rich malt, but: what is that? Low aroma for sure. Some acidity it seemed. So I racked my brain, and thought: what acids do I like? Balsamic, cider, lemon. Well it wasn't any of those, and then it hit me: it smelled very faintly of barf covered up by sawdust. Sorry, I know that sounds horrible, but that's what I thought.

The second thing that didn't stand out was the body ...medium to thin. I guess I expected a bit more substantialness in the mouthfeel. And also, even though I could see some good carbonation, I didn't experience it while drinking.

But I'll be damned if it wasn't drinkable. The hops to me weren't overwhelming, they were more of that distilled hop essence that you get with these higher abv brews...sorta making up the whole beer. The malt was there, but the over-all essence of hops was the beer. There was some citrus and pine in the finish. And while served at a great temp, as it warmed, and you got near the end, you thought, I want another.

11-05-2004 13:46:48 | More by PatandDavid
Billolick

4.18/5  rDev +2%

Had my first sample of the wallop on draft a few days ago at the Blind tiger in NYC. Never got a taste of last years product so I cant compare em. This is a fairly light/golden brew, clear with a white head. Moderate carbonation, nice tiny bubble film on tap and nice lacing is left behind. Strong nose of grainy hops. Hops and more hops carried the freight. Nice alcohol bite also lurking not to far from the middle. Love this style and loved this tasty, crisp, aggressively hoppy and flavorful brew. Looking forward to trying the bottled version.

11-05-2004 03:02:45 | More by Billolick
bultrey

3.8/5  rDev -7.3%

Over-rated! (clap, clap, clap-clap-clap)!
My much-anticipated first try of the Hop Wallop was served to me in a tulip glass at the Blind Tiger last night.
The first thing that struck me about this was the raw, herbaceous aroma. VERY herbaceous. Some of my BA colleagues on hand called my crazy, but I'll be damned if I didn't get a big dose of marijuana in the aroma.
The taste is soooo hop bitter. Having recently been turned on to some of the West coast hop monsters, I really thought I would like this, but for me, it was all bitterness with no flavor. Listen, I like spicy foods, too, but I like the FLAVOR of a jalapeno, not just the capsacin. I felt the same way about this beer. The hops were raw, grassy, herbaceous, and aggressive. Strangely, I also detected a flavor that I could only classify as "extra-sharp cheddar cheese," but I suspect that's the grassy-herbaceous thing. I also detected next to no malt, something that I want in my "Double IPA." The finish was long and lingering. Mouthfeel was fine, but drinkability suffers due to the bitter pill that this is.

Do I think this is a bad beer? No. Do I think it is a great beer? Also no.

11-04-2004 19:05:07 | More by bultrey
carln26

Missouri

4.13/5  rDev +0.7%

There has been so much hype about this beer, so I couldn’t way to try it when I saw it on tap today at RedBones. It has a bright gold to copper with a white head and a surprising amount of champagne bubbles. Bright floral citrus aroma. The taste is indeed a wallop from hops, a real bitterness force. There is also a mild sourness. Not unpleasant, just there. Lace is left on the glass for each drink. It has a great mouth feel and is very drinkable for this bitter a beer. Does the beer match the hype, sorry. Not in my opinion. Good beer, not a great one.

10-31-2004 19:32:50 | More by carln26
Truh

New Hampshire

3.6/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Took a lickin’ but kept on tickin’ with this one on 10/30/2004. 16-oz. pint pour at ACPH.

1/8 inch fluff of initial set-up, and creamy in texture. A light hop profile to nose with some parallel notes of orange essence, clover honey, and a core of malt, though extremely subtle. On the mouth, sweet hop crank to start with other light notes really pulling through and making this “double” IPA a not-hop-bomb consisting of corriander, lemon grass, and light maple syrup. Although I have never consumed this before, I found it surprisingly light on the hop front considering its moniker. In fact, on that measure, I found the Smuttynose IPA putting it to shame, among many others. Expected more, given the hype.

10-30-2004 20:11:57 | More by Truh
maybrick

4.58/5  rDev +11.7%

Fortunately for me, I live 8 minutes away from Victoryville and am there alot. The boys pulled out a 1/2 bbl on 8/23/2004 and I was there promptly at noon.

What can I say about one of the best brews ever brewed by one of the best breweries?

After looking cloesly at this 8 month old brew that was stored in a cooler I did notice a touch of chill haze. The physical stability of the beer was just on the edge. The color was still great. That's why I didn't give it a 5 for appearance.

The nose however was strong, bold, and was just like I remembered it when it came out the first time. This batch was defintely frist batch. Ron Barchet confirmed this by reminding me no second batch (the dry hopped version) was bottled exclusively.

The nose has hints of pine, grapefruit, and wonderful blended hops.

The taste was wonderful. It's mellowed NOT! It's still as bold, smack ya upside the head as ever. For those who love the turly hopped up brews, this one 's for you! Wow!

The mouthfeel was most pleasant and it is extremelty deceptive in terms of the ABV. No noticable alcohol burn on the way down.

3.5 for drinklability because of the ABV - this ain't no session beer!

Enjoy!

08-26-2004 12:41:54 | More by maybrick
Jason

4.47/5  rDev +9%

Absolutely amazing! The lace from the cask pour and the insane amount of hops was leaving thick rings all the way down the glass. Sweet pine and spice aroma, fruity esters and a mild higher alcohol in the nose. So smooth on the palate with a biting hoppiness with a continuation of that with the alcohol in the finish. Every time the malt wanted to break through the hops beat it back down. The alcohol was a bit too much though this is thoroughly a sipping beer to begin with @ 8.5% abv.

03-31-2004 11:56:57 | More by Jason