1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Hop Wallop - Victory Brewing Company

Hop WallopHop Wallop

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-17-2003)
Ratings: 3,537 | Reviews: 1,888 | Show All Ratings:
JAXSON

4.05/5  rDev -1.2%

2009 rate.

Draft. Pours a clear gold with a white head. For some reason I want this to be a darker shade of orange. Really grassy, hoppy aroma. Fresh and bright. Not much citrus presence, but a fresh, bitter hoppiness that is likened most to grass. Good.

Had this a few times since the original rate and I was more impressed, so I upped the rating. Of course freshness is a huge deal with this one.

December 2011 edit. Tried this next to Ranch S, which is a bit of a mess. I came to appreciate the dryness and balance of this. Really comes across as a handful of freshly boomed hop flowers, a harvest ale more than an imperial pale ale.

11-24-2010 05:01:32 | More by JAXSON
Thorpe429

3.78/5  rDev -7.8%

Reviewed from notes.

Pours straw with a white head and a bit of lace. Plenty of visible carbonation. Nose is highly grassy and floral with a good amount of citrus as well. Not much backing malt. Taste is quite hoppy and bitter although I don't get much actual flavor, just the bitterness. Feel is light to medium and a bit dry. Drinks well and i'm glad they started doing this year round.

10-20-2010 12:16:31 | More by Thorpe429
TMoney2591

3.9/5  rDev -4.9%

Served in a shaker pint glass at ChurchKey.

I've been promised wallops of hops before...we'll see. This contender pours a clear pale straw topped by a half-finger (at best) of white foam. The nose comprises earth, florals, and a bit o' toffee. A little simplistic and not very hoppy. The taste holds some heavy floral and citrus hops, backed by a comparatively meek bit o' caramel. Alright, I'll admit the hops' supremacy...but I don't know if I'd go so far as a wallop. They are pretty strong, though... The body is light, with a light moderate carbonation and a crisp finish. Not a bad DIPA overall, but not quite as strong as expected. Its lack of balance keeps it from attaining any measure of real greatness.

07-17-2010 01:36:33 | More by TMoney2591
haddon

4.43/5  rDev +8%

this is an update from a bottle review from last year. had this on tap at The Lodge in Hilton Head Island, SC.

A- pours golden amber color with a nice frothy head. Nice lace down the whole glass and lots of carbonation through the whole beer

S- strong hop smell with a hint of apricot and alcohol

T- the hops hit early and often! little citrus note in there but a grassy-bitter aftertaste knocks it out and lingers on the palate

M- sits well in the palate...light with just the right amount of carbonation

D- this was an awesome tasting beer. I think the freshness out of the draught absolutely brought a better balance between the bitter hops and sweet malt backbone. very drinkable. went through a growler of this very quickly while on vacation. could drink this every day when its fresh!

06-19-2010 22:14:00 | More by haddon
thagr81us

South Carolina

3.93/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served from tap into a standard pint. Pours a hazy golden yellow with a minimal white head. Maintains nice lacing throughout. The aroma was comprised of wheat, citrus, and hops. The flavor was of strong hops only. It was light on the palate with medium carbonation. Overall this was a very nice IPA with a huge in your face hop flavor which I enjoy. If it had a more complex flavor it could be great. This is a must for any true hop head.

06-15-2010 00:19:37 | More by thagr81us
boss302

4.43/5  rDev +8%

Victory hop wallop, draft

A The beer is golden, not crystal clear, but that is to be expected for a high hopped beer. There is a nice head that sticks for the whole glass.

S Fresh crisp smooth flowery aroma with a little sweetness. This is the best smelling beers by Victory that I've had so far. No off flavors, very clean.

T Hops dominate. Beneath the hops you can taste a definite maltiness. Not overly astringent in the aftertaste as you might be led to expect from the hop bite. There is some acidity and piney flavor.

M Highly carbonated and burns on your tongue. I would characterize as a light to medium body. There is no warming from the alcohol, and by taste I would have guessed around 5 to 6ABV instead of the 8.5ABV that Victory says. I think the hops go a long way to hide the alcohol.

O An excellent beer, highly hopped, refreshing, and right on target for the hop lover. The more timid might have a hard time with a second pint. Definitely recommend.

06-11-2010 01:33:26 | More by boss302
david18

4.1/5  rDev 0%

This is one of my favorite east coast double IPA's and I think I like the draft a little better than the bottle.

It has a very good carmel color and intense pine aroma. The flavor is a little "sticky" and the alcohol is a bit too present but in general this is one to get, particularly if you haven't tried it before.

04-28-2010 18:58:58 | More by david18
ScarletLady

Maryland

3.68/5  rDev -10.2%

On tap served in a pint glass
A - medium gold with lots of active carbonation. Minimal head and thin lacing

S- a little disappointing in the nose. I expected much more. Couldn't detect much of anything but maybe it's just the allergies

T - now we're talkin! soapy and nicely bitter without being too much which lingers between sips. Small amt of citrus

M - light with good carbonation esp for a beer this big

D - good but because the flavor was so bitter I would only drink one in a sitting

04-13-2010 20:42:37 | More by ScarletLady
urwithdave

3.5/5  rDev -14.6%

Reviewing from notes. Served on tap at World of Beer. Poured into a standard pint glass.

A- Pours golden/bronze in color. Very little, almost no head although this may have been because the pint was not beer clean. A thin ring was all that was present around the inside diameter of my pint.

S- Big piney hops presence with some grapefruit in the distance. Not really getting anything other than this.

T- Very bitter. The bitterness runs the show here and is in charge. A hint of citrus, although, I can not pinpoint what exactly. No malt presence detected. I love hop forward brews, but this is so bitter, I don't even really get much besides the bitterness.

M- Medium bodied with a lingering bitterness.

D- One was enough fo sure! Did I mention this one was bitter?

04-09-2010 02:14:17 | More by urwithdave
BeerFMAndy

Wisconsin

4.33/5  rDev +5.6%

12 oz tap pour into an American Tumbler pint at Silver Creek in Cedarburg.

A - The pour was kind of weak. Only half a finger of foam was left on top. It was decently retained and caked the whole glass in lace. The color was a clear golden yellow.

S - The fresh pour is given to me with tons of American hops all over the nose. Its in-your-face hop aroma of grapefruit and pine resin with a solid malt backbone.

T - A smack to the face of a bold malt backbone with a bit of caramel sweetness overwhelmed by massive pine and grapefruit hops with a dry bitter and resiny finish.

M - Hop Wallop is rather smooth and medium-bodied with a lightly dry but harshly bitter finish. Nice and refreshing.

D - A very solid beer that's clean and easy drinking for the flavor it packs and the bitter wallop to the finish. I could have a second pint of this.

01-29-2010 22:28:10 | More by BeerFMAndy
HopWallopguy22

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is an awesome beer. But BEWARE, as it states in it's name sake: It's a WALLOP of hops. But if you love hops then, you will love this beer.

Right from the tap you get a lighter golden color with a nice frothy head. When you first taste it, it is like getting punched in the face with hops and it takes their vision to another level.

For an imperial IPA I would highly recommend it.

Whether you get it fresh from the tap, in a bottle, in a growler, it will always taste amazing.

01-17-2010 04:48:16 | More by HopWallopguy22
goblue3509

4.13/5  rDev +0.7%

Pours a clear orangish yellow color with a thick creamy two to two and a half finger head with gives way to some nice lacing. The aroma is of a flower shop with big floral hop aroma over a sweet malt backbone. The taste is of floral hops with a nice big hop bite the encompasses the entire sip of the beer. There is also a hint of some citrus fruits as well. The mouthfeel is of moderate carbonation. Overall this is a very drinkable double, the ABV is lower than some in this class but it is well hidden. The beer is smooth and stays consisent. You could easily have a sixer of these. Solid double for someone who likes a hop bite.

01-10-2010 21:21:43 | More by goblue3509
billzee

4.33/5  rDev +5.6%

On-tap at the brewery on 12/29. Pours a golden (pilsner like) yellow with a thick foamy white head (like billowy clouds). Lots of retention during consumption. Ton of citrusy hop and pine notes and fresh cut grass. Nice sweet grapefruit taste, grassy hops, and an herbal quality I can't quite place. Dry refreshing finish. Light body with moderate carbonation. I am a big fan of Victory and I really enjoyed this beer.

01-05-2010 21:10:55 | More by billzee
PittBeerGirl

4.1/5  rDev 0%

On-tap at Bocktown tonight. I have tasted (1 oz sample) this brew at least 3 times before.

A- This beer looks like the perfect pilsner. Crystal Clear bubbly champagne colored body that is served with a good 2 finger foamy head. Head slowly subsides to a beautiful 1 finger and is retained perfectly from there. Lots and lots of lacing left behind in the glass. Beautiful...I would just expect a medium amber hue and a touch of cloudiness.

S-Wow. Hop Wallop it is. A very sweet pink grapefruit comes through first and most prominently followed by a big pine sting. These are the two most notable aromas. In the background is also wonderful spicy hop and a hint of herbal hop aromas as well.

T- Upfront is sweet...almost too sweet. A big dose of sweet, juicy pink grapefruit with maybe a hint of sugar initially. As the flavor progress one can detect a deep spiciness in the background which is barely present initially but grows for the finish and is immediately overshadowed by a big piny hop refreshing presence which seems to be the dominant character overall and it lingers...but as it lingers a huge citrus rind bitterness overshadows all as hints of piny and spicy hop flavors fade away in the background. Very interesting how this incorporates several hop characters at once and they fight for dominance...all seeming to have an almost extreme character.

M- As the appearance would suggest the body is very light and has medium to high carbonation. A slightly oily carbonation and a refreshing light character.

D- The first few times I tried this beer I did not like it at all-and I really enjoy Victory beers. I'm not sure if I can attribute the positive change toward this batch, the earliness of the hop wallop season, my changing tastes, or a combination thereof...but I am digging this beer this year. Its interesting how just as one flavor starts to get obnoxious it fades just in time to highlight another. This is an interesting well crafted brew that I am looking forward to having again this season. No ABC detected

12-27-2009 04:58:32 | More by PittBeerGirl
PDXHops

South Carolina

3.23/5  rDev -21.2%

Victory Hop Wallop

On tap in a shaker pint.

Pale see-thru gold body with 1 finger of bright white head. Palest DIPA I've run into. OK retention with some drippy lacing.

Nose is much more subdued than I anticipated, lightly sweet malt with some citrus and floral hops. Tastes tamer than expected, too. It starts and finishes with plentiful light malt, honey and just plain sugary sweetness. In between is a decent sting of lemony and oily pine hops, but nothing special. Mouthfeel is a little on the thin side, and there's a bit of a distracting herbal aftertaste.

Overall impression: Well, I definitely didn't get "walloped" with hops. Disappointing DIPA, although I will probably try/review it in bottled form as well.

11-25-2009 19:54:51 | More by PDXHops
Intimidtor

3.55/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Had this at Fathead Brewery in North Olmsted Ohio. Different taste then most DIPAs ive had previously. Server poured into a 12 oz snifter. About 1/4 inch of head with nice lacing. Flavor was packed full of HOPs that would be expected by it's title. To me it seemed that it was missing someting to balance it out. Appearance and taste were both good. Drnks very good with subdued alcohol burn and perfect finish. Drinkability would behigher if it were balanced.

11-14-2009 21:30:12 | More by Intimidtor
adamette

2.53/5  rDev -38.3%

Review from notes taken while I enjoyed this beer last night at Fat Head's Brewery & Saloon in North Olmsted, Ohio. Poured from tap into a clean, clear glass.

A A little surprised to find a lager look a like in my glass with a nice head and good lacing. The body is very, very clear. 3.5

S Again, a slight surprise in that the smell was not very strong. After a few sniffs I picked up some sweet grapefruit bitterness but it was not obvious like I thought it might be. I liked the smell, though. 4.0

T Sweet malt actually hit me first and then the promised hops kick in and, well, I got walloped with them and they were so bitter that they were to the point of being acidic. This turns me off very frankly as it drives down the drinkability quite a bit. It is difficult for me to enjoy this level of bitterness. It felt as if the surface of my throat was deteriorating with this bitterness that lingered well into the aftertaste. I had to take several sips of water while trying to drink this. 2.0

M Well, huge with the bitterness, elevated ABV and even the sweet malt beginning. This time, though, I did not like the feel due to the spike of bitterness that lingered far too long. 2.5

D Again, driven down by the acid soak of hops bitterness. 2.0

Notes: I realize that the point was to have a very hoppy beer but this is too much for me. I found it to be too unbalanced.

11-08-2009 01:12:03 | More by adamette
WeedKing4

Ontario (Canada)

4.38/5  rDev +6.8%

On tap and a bomber bottle. Pours a clear golden colour. Lots of hop bite up front and through out this brew. Hints of grapefruit bitterness through out as well. Love the tingle this leaves on the palate. Wouldn't recommend starting the night with this beer, as you won't be able to taste the following beers. Very easy to drink for the abv%. I enjoyed it more in the bottle then on tap, as well. Very solid beer overall.

10-16-2009 02:56:29 | More by WeedKing4
wmthorne

Tennessee

4.63/5  rDev +12.9%

This beer rocks! Pours a clear orange with thin head. Nice lacing on the glass.

Very hoppy. Grapefruit and citrusy tastes. Great carbonation. Almost taste 'nanners. It is a good beer. You definitely get the hoppy notes on the nose.

I'd definitely drink this again. Cheers

08-14-2009 22:54:22 | More by wmthorne
Buschyfor3

4.53/5  rDev +10.5%

10oz drafts at Rich O's/Sportstime Pizza in New Albany, IN.

A: Golden amber body, quite vibrant with stunning highlights throughout. A good, rocky white, foamy head leaves thick lacing down the inside of the glass.

S: What a sweet nose! I'm getting grassy hops and smooth clover honey in large doses. There's not much hop bitterness in the nose - really just sweet, grassy aromas, a touch of citrus in there too, and then sweetness from honey and the malt backbone. Smell is wonderfully pleasant.

T: Like the nose, there is a nice, mellow, grassy hop sweetness that hits at the start along with flashes of citrus (tangerine, pineapple, lemon) and sweet clover honey. Some tart, rind-like flavors and a touch of hoppy bitterness does break through after the intial sweetness - afterall, this is a DIPA - but it stays suprisingly sweet throughout. Finish reintroduces that sweet honey flavor mingling with malty, bready notes and a drying grapefruit and tangerine kick that lingers long on the tongue. Probably one of the sweetest DIPAs I've tasted (mind you, I still haven't cracked my bottle of DFH 120). Really enjoyed the flavors here.

M: Smooth but crisp feel; light body with pretty strong carb off the tap.

D: An exemplary summer beer if you ask me - light, sweet, refreshing and so easy to drink. My review took twice as long to write as it did for me to finish one glass and order a second.

Really impressed with the flavors in this beer. I'm not a huge hophead, but I do enjoy IPAs. For some reason, I kind of expected this to just wallop me over the head with bitter, earthy, piney hops like most every other DIPA I've tried. But this is an East Coast DIPA and it is quite different and I really enjoyed the blending of citrusy flavors with honey-like sweetness and the malts. Definitely going to seek this beer again. I wish we could get Victory distributed in KY, but looks like I'll just have to make the trip over to Indiana to pick some up.

07-31-2009 20:43:09 | More by Buschyfor3
bamadog

3.68/5  rDev -10.2%

Review is from notes - beer drank on 5/27/09 at Fries Cafe in Cincinnati, from the tap into a pint glass.

Appearance: Comes with a 1 finger head that afdes to a thin film on top; color is light coppery-yellow (a little paler than what I've seen in others DIPAs) and seems a little cloudy, but not overly so; thin ring of lacing at the top clings loosely to the sides of the glass; decent carbonation.

Smell: Not an overpowering nose at all; smells more malty than hoppy -- very sweet -- not to say that the hops aren't present, but they're a little subdued by the malts and come across a little citrusy.

Taste: Much like the smell, really dominated by the malts as it's a little toasty and very sweet on the palate (I think I even made the joke that it should be called Malt Wallop as opposed to Hop Wallop - makes me wonder how old the keg may have been that was tapped?) yet it is still fairly balanced by the muted bittering effect from the hops; the bitterness doesn't seem to have a flavor that goes along with it (no pine, no citrus - at least I could pick it up in the nose a little bit); finish is a little metallic.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, a little creamy and fairly smooth; slightly prickly from the carbonation and this gives it a bit of liveliness; thin coating is left behind.

Drinkablity: I would say surprisingly high, but not one of the more impressive DIPAs that I've had. I could have sat through a couple more of these over the course of the evening (yes, it was a slightly long night out) but there were other options on tap that were much more enticing, so I wish I could give this score an asterisk.

06-14-2009 22:28:34 | More by bamadog
GRG1313

Lucky Baldwin's IPA Festival 6/13/09 ON TAP

Pours amber with a nice big and thick white head.

Nose of floral perfume and corn tortillas. Assertive nice yeast.

Mouthfeel is rich and creamy and with huge grapefruit flavors, followed by pine and then resin. Beautifully balanced.

The gigantic grapefruit hop bitter finish may be one of the longest ever experienced. Literally goes on for minutes.

06-14-2009 05:39:01 | More by GRG1313
chaz410

3.78/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Got this on Tap from Flying Saucer in Charlotte NC.
Appearance was very light orangish yellowed body. Has a great foamy thick white head with lots of good steady carbonation.
Smell was a little tart and full of floral hops. Grassy notes and not much malt profile.
Taste is intense. One sip goes a long way with this beer. Initially the taste is fruity and slightly malty with zests of lemon almost like a typical summer ale. The lemon essence pusches into the fruity hop overload and pulls in grassy hops and some grapefruit as well. Finishes bitter and little piney and tart. Even the afterbreath brings a different set of bittering and warming hop and alcohol flavor.
Mouthfeel is very sharp after the initial smooth character.
Drinkability on this beer is selective to hop heads.

05-18-2009 15:58:32 | More by chaz410
jjboesen

Maryland

4.65/5  rDev +13.4%

There is a razor thin head that crowns a translucent amber body; there is a modicum of lace that leaves little clingage. There are some subtle aromatic notes that flucuate between raisin and cocoanut. Upon initial sip, there is an intense blast of hoppy grapefruit upon the palate. Interesting.

One other interesting aspect is how well balanced and smooth it is; this makes for a truly wonderful mouthfeel - hence the above rating. Victory Hop Wallop is a monumental hop bomb to be savored. Yummy, he said.

02-22-2009 22:10:13 | More by jjboesen
SwiftyMcBeer

Indiana

3.83/5  rDev -6.6%

Poured a light orange with almost no head or lacing. The hops were citrusy and dominated the smell (duh?). There was a nice spiciness to the hop them in the taste that made this beer stand out a little. I liked that part of it very much. This was pretty drinkable and all and all a pretty darn good effort. Probably gets unfairly knocked for being tasted on the same night that I had a HopSlam from Bells and Double Trouble from Founders. This beer is perfectly adequate, even better then that. In lean hop-beer times, I probably would have rated it higher. Against that murderer's row, it came out as slightly above average.

02-17-2009 21:12:51 | More by SwiftyMcBeer