1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Hop Wallop - Victory Brewing Company

Hop WallopHop Wallop

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-17-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Wallop Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,537 | Reviews: 1,888 | Show All Ratings:
mafeeker

3.85/5  rDev -6.1%

Appearance: Pours a very clear golden color with a bright white small head. Little bit of lacing down the glass.

Smell: Pineapple grassy hop smell followed by malty graininess

Taste: Initial bitter hop bite balanced by a nice maltiness. Finishes with a grassy hop flavor

Drinkability: At first, the bitterness is a little overpowering, but the malt manages to keep this barely under control and save the drinkability. It is without a doubt a hop bitterness wallop, but still drinkable

01-06-2011 23:20:00 | More by mafeeker
bmwfan1987

4.3/5  rDev +4.9%

well this beer is cleary a hop wallop. The hop character is great with heavy notes of citrus, mostly grapefruit in there. Delicious DIPA. Overall very pleased. High 8.5abv may be more than likely the reason im so pleased. Its also golden in color with excellent head retention.

05-03-2011 22:47:21 | More by bmwfan1987
AndersonGT

4.15/5  rDev +1.2%

Not Victory's best but fairly good...

A-Nice golden color but heavy on the head. A little too much.

S-Typical scents of pine and aroma but still pleasant.

T-Pretty good! Nice hoppy flavor and very light on sweetness. Descent aftertaste.

M-Too much carbonationnfor my liking. I found this beer to very filling.

O-I am a fan of Victory Brewing however this is not one of there best, if I am feeling like an ale from Victory, it will be Headwaters or Hop Devil.

05-05-2011 23:47:10 | More by AndersonGT
buzzedup

4.55/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

This is one of those beers that you have to buy when you see it.
The color of the beer is deep golden yellow surprisingly lighter than the hop devil
The smell is pure hop and flowers reminds me of spring very sweet on the nose.
The mouth fill is meduim with a oily feel as it goes down the throat. Thicker in body than the color would lead to believe .
The taste is just what you want from a IPA. Very well balanced not to malty at all (they way I prefer my IPA)
This is a must try beer for anyone out there that likes a good well crafted IPA . More eastern IPA for sure over a west coast but a must have for for any hop head

02-04-2012 22:48:16 | More by buzzedup
xforce

3.73/5  rDev -9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

good beer, although a bit strong to drink a lot. golden straw like in color with a nice white head, about 3 fingers from a fairly aggressive pour. hops are good in the aroma: piney, grapefruit. high bitterness levels, with a strong sweetness from adjuncts (seemingly lots of them, like corn sugar or something). good beer, but i think i liked it better last year.

12-11-2004 00:40:40 | More by xforce
deliriumtremens

1.6/5  rDev -61%

Hmm... interesting smell, I thought. A sweet lager-type of aroma, with just a hint of something that reminds me of macro adjuncts. Then I tasted it. This is one of the few beers that I have ever poured out for any reason other than being too drunk to finish it. The sticky-sweet canned pineapple taste is overwhelming, and nearly made me retch right there, but then the hops came rumbling in. Normally when I think of hoppy beer, I think of Sam Adams or Goose Island or Sierra Nev PA - a little harsh and painful on the jaw after drinking several, but overall well-balanced and non-offensive - they taste good. Hop Wallop doesn't have that kind of hop flavor. The hops are bitter, aggressive, and overall very nasty.

The best thing I can say about drinking this is that it tastes like Pineapples smothered in salt and Crisco.

03-18-2005 00:15:03 | More by deliriumtremens
carlosd74

2.15/5  rDev -47.6%

I am a Hophead. That said I thought this 2005 release at Grey Lodge was disappointing. Maybe I was kidding myself since this is an Imperial IPA. I thought I'd give this one another chance since the only other encounter was with an expired bottle.

It was so offensive to my taste buds that I didn't even finish it. Even in light of the fact that the beer came with the purchase of a pint glass & t-shirt. I found it was eating my stomach up. I do not have a weak gut.

It was all hops and nothing else. It didn't even pour a nice head. Wallops your senses so that all you can detect are hops. It is so harsh I could not even tell what type of hops. It was simply caustic!

I'll take a Alpha King or Tuppers anyday over this loser from Victory.

These guys are much more capable than this!

11-06-2005 23:15:04 | More by carlosd74
drumstik

3.88/5  rDev -5.4%

Pours a clear golden straw like color. Leaves a bit of lace down the glass.

Smells like HOPS! They dont lie when they say its brewed with hops, hops, and...hops. Also notes of citrus and pine.

Taste is solid and balanced. I was expecting much more of a "wallop" but I am pleasantly suprised. A nice bite of hops and bitterness followed by a nice malty bread taste with a little bit of citrus.

First time trying this wonderful seasonal from victory. I will certainly head out for more.

11-09-2005 05:55:06 | More by drumstik
jswigart

2.78/5  rDev -32.2%

I am flat-out disappointed by this beer. I am normally a fan of Victory Brewing (Storm King is one of my favorite beers) and I am normally a fan of really hoppy beers (Dogfish Head's 90 Minute IPA comes to mind, even Hop Devil from Victory)... So I expected that I would really like this... So much so, I bought a whole keg... Oops. Bottom line? The things that I think of when I drink this beer are grapefruits (citrus), multi-vitamins (herbs) and alcohol. I know this is supposed to be hoppy, but to me, the beer is out of balance... Like the brewer, like the style, don't like the beer.

01-05-2007 03:12:04 | More by jswigart
EVLguy

South Carolina

3.8/5  rDev -7.3%

2007 Hop Wallop poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Cloudy after the pour but began to clear up after about 20 minutes. Deep gold in color.

Smell: Light grass, herb, and hay[very interesting] aromas. Very pleasant, but deceiving when the intense flavor of this beer is considered.

Taste: This beer must be nothing but hops. All got from it was citrusy hops, pine tar like flavors and some more grassy spices at the finish. An easy winner for hopheads.

Mouthfeel: The lack of malt did leave this beer a bit too dry and light for my personal tastes. Still that's not too hard to get past after enjoying the flavors from the first few sips.

Drinkibilty: Not meant to be had one after the other unless you are a hophead supreme.

This is the best example I've ever come across of a beer only released once a year that definitely should only be released once a year. Anymore would be a little too much.

06-28-2007 23:32:07 | More by EVLguy
greshdoghophead

4.7/5  rDev +14.6%

12 oz bottle in pint glass
Aged a few months in the cellar.
Instantly noticed a more unique luminescence than typical with the style. Pale yellow-orange.
Minimal head but crisp hoppy aroma omnipresent. Even right from the cold fridge this one hit the mark. Great mouthfeel and refreshing blast. Not overly malty at all. As it warmed the citrus notes grew as well the floral aromas. Alcohol content was not reflected in the taste here. Smooth as can be and left me craving another.

04-16-2009 01:41:20 | More by greshdoghophead
DanielBrett

4.38/5  rDev +6.8%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into pint glass.

A- extremely clear golden brew with a bit over a finger of creamy white head. Decent retention and mild lacing

S- A burst of hops hits the nose as soon as the glass comes even remotely close to your nose. Very citrusy, lite pine.

T- Right off the get go your tastebuds are slammed with the bitterness of the hops, everything I could have hoped for. Some very mild fruity sweetness. With a pleasantly bitter aftertaste

M- Medium carbonation, light bodied. Leaves a bitter, dry film in the mouth.

O- An Absolutely fantastic IIPA, does not top Stone Ruination for me, but is still one of the better IIPA's I've had. Would definitely buy again.

01-29-2012 00:53:44 | More by DanielBrett
KuehneBe

4.8/5  rDev +17.1%

A:
Such a beauty of gold and amber, slightly less dark than expected. A gorgeous, small head that dissipates somewhat quickly.

S:
Oh the hopsmanity!
Such a delicious smell that I must admit, my mind and nose were blown. Hops, some flowery notes that reminded me of tea, I think? One of the most mouth-watering beers I've ever smelled.

T:
Damn, this is mind-blowing. A very hoppy brew with some strange, exciting sweetness. It reminded me of Deschutes' Hop Henge, but slightly less sugary.

M:
Refreshing but strong, the flavor lingers and just makes you want to ... no ... makes you HAVE to keep lifting the glass to your lips. Man, this is a near-perfection brew.

O:
I've never really been into IPAs, but this beer is a perfect example of why I keep coming back to them.

Bubbly, the alcohol becomes slightly more apparent

05-12-2012 03:22:24 | More by KuehneBe
coldchill

Tennessee

4.2/5  rDev +2.4%

Poured a slightly hazy but lovely golden orange with a nice bright white head. Hop aroma was powerful but not really as strong as I was expecting. The hop bite is excellent. Very bitter with the piney bitterness coming through the strongest. Unlike most extremely hoppy beers there didn't seem to be a great deal of aftertaste. I could drink several of these, not a good thing at 8.5%.

All in all this was a very likeable beer that I will try to get again.

11-19-2006 17:06:46 | More by coldchill
GermanHero

Vermont

4.25/5  rDev +3.7%

'm not normally one that enjoys IPA's, I'm more of a Tripel kinda guy, but this one was very good. I had it with homemade meatball subs, and it matched well.

The first thing that got me when I opened it was the smell. It was good, the hops came through and slowly filled the room.

I poured it into a glass, the golden color was just what I would have expected, a bit cloudy and small bubbles streaming up from the bottom.

The taste was very good, usually I stay away from IPA's, just something that doesn't suit me, but this one was different, it was very drinkable, not bitter or overly powerful.

The mouth feel was good, not over the top but enough to notice that you are drinking something.

Overall a great choice, I enjoyed it a lot!

02-10-2011 14:13:43 | More by GermanHero
BrianScottK

2.89/5  rDev -29.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

I love an IPA as much as the next guy, but personally, this is a bit much for me. "Hop Wallop" isn't just a clever name. The hops hit you hard on the tongue, and stay around 'til last call on the finish. It's all hop and little else. All in all, an average IPA by my accounts. Would have liked a bit more balance to the flavor.

04-06-2013 19:24:17 | More by BrianScottK
holzmann

3.88/5  rDev -5.4%

Pours a clear golden color with a thin yet rich head. This one's got a very unique nose. Very hoppy with slight citrus notes but dominated by a unique spiciness which only after tasting did I realize resembled a pine flavor. Feels full and smooth on the mouth. The taste sets in late but kicks you with a STRONG hop flavor that is very bitter, yet still smooth. Finish is completed with same spicy pine notes over a slight malt flavor that if anything reminds you a little of the gravity of this beer. Very bitter (in that hoppy good way) but still quite drinkable.

12-06-2007 00:43:38 | More by holzmann
ClavinCliff

Georgia

4.7/5  rDev +14.6%

Wow. Name says it all. Pours very clear, mostly golden in color with a hint of copper hue. Smell is hops, with a dash of hops and a slight hint of hops. Head pours out very well, sticky and hangs around for a bit. Taste, hmmm hops maybe? Hops up front, in the middle and at the end. You can feel the beer on your teeth. Slight hint of some malty sweetness towards the end but not much. A true hop head beer. An excellent selection.

08-22-2008 12:41:40 | More by ClavinCliff
iamntbatman

4.33/5  rDev +5.6%

Appearance: Light yellow to gold with a short, but thick head. This is a very hazy beer, even for an IPA, with very good lacing all the way down the glass.

Smell: Hops, hops hops. Every aspect of that typical American hops flavor is well represented here. The malt is very subtle. The alcohol isn't anywhere to be found.

Taste: Absolutely great! It's like the IPA equivalent of hearing a very loud metal band from another room and through a wall: you pick up every bit of the aggressive florals, citrus, pine and bitterness but all are muted a bit by the cask. They're definitely present here though, and make up the vast majority of the flavor profile. The malt is discernible but doesn't play a major part.

Mouthfeel: Quite creamy due to the cask. Very low carbonation but also has minimal typical IPA stickiness. Different, but I like it.

Drinkability: The cask makes this *very* drinkable for a DIPA. This one could definitely sneak up on you with its quite well-hidden 8.5% ABV.

In case I didn't make it clear enough, this beer is a whole different animal on cask than in the bottle or on tap. However good this was, it definitely takes away from the "wallop" this beer usually has. I can't recommend it enough, but in a "desert island" scenario I would stick with the stronger flavor of the standard bottled Hop Wallop.

Serving type: cask

03-25-2009 05:08:44 | More by iamntbatman
broozer81

4.18/5  rDev +2%

appearance-pours medium golden copper with nice head and plenty of lacing..aroma of strong pine hints of citrus back round malts..taste of the same very very piny with bitter aftertaste.overall enjoyable but it could use a bit more balance on the malt side...

05-11-2009 03:09:40 | More by broozer81
EbPhrygian

4.05/5  rDev -1.2%

This is my first BeerAdvocate review.

Fresh 12-oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy but rich amber with a one-finger off-white head that dissipates rather quickly. Also, the thick lacing that I've observed with a DIPA such as Dogfish Head 90 minute is only minimally evident.

Smell: Nothing overwhelming here, but distinct floral, pine, and citrus notes that are to be expected from the style.

Taste: The hoppiest beer I've had, I can only liken it to Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA except that it is more complex and full-bodied. Would definitely fall squarely into the "bitter category" for a DIPA (as opposed to "sweeter" examples).

Mouthfeel: Wow, the bitter hoppy taste really lingers on the tastebuds for quite a while!

Drinkability: Could drink another right away, no problem, although the ABV and Victory's concerted effort to exemplify the most extreme of "hoppy" beers limit its sessionability.

Notes: Will be interesting to compare to the [suppsedly] more subdued HopDevil by Victory, and ranks high in my [so far] limited experience with DIPAs. Recommended.

03-04-2010 23:58:33 | More by EbPhrygian
commis

2.4/5  rDev -41.5%

Bottle into a SN tulip.

Very pale. Yellow/orange with just a touch of haze. I enjoy ipa's that look like this, I dig the straw color. Makes it look crisp.
Pineapple, peach and plenty of pine. Smells a bit mild and also a bit one dimensional.I want IPA to really hit the nose hard and I can't say that this does that.
Kind of harsh in that the alcohol is very present and also the balance between bitter hops and aromatic hop is too far toward the bitter. I'm not getting the lush, fruity and floral flavors to balance the massive bittering additions.And I love huge bittering additions, they just didn't do it right. I would accuse this of not being fresh but the bottle reads: enjoy by aug 2011, so I figure unless they're dating their IPA at a year... Either way, this isn't very good or very bad.
The mouthfeel I like. Carbonation is perfect and the body is right where I think it needs to be.
Given the spot-on mouthfeel I think this had real potential for higher drinkability in a beer at more than 8%, but it's lack of huge aromas and hop flavors does more to allow the alcohol and bitterness to shine and that makes it less than enjoyable.

Won't give this another chance unless I find out that Victory dates their bottles a year out in which case this bottle is 4 months old. That would be really stupid, though.

01-11-2011 17:10:02 | More by commis
dodgerrigo

3.93/5  rDev -4.1%

Poured from a bomber, some head, nice golden appearance.

Not a strong hoppy aroma but still an overall good smell.

Very full tasting DIPA, nice balance, some citrus notes in taste can almost taste the high alcohol, finish is clean and leaves you wanting more.

I prefer the strong hoppy aroma of northwest IPA's but this was well worth the price @ WholeFoods in San Francisco <$6 and it wasn't disappointing in taste or effect.

I was a bit thrown off with enjoy by date of May 2012, thought IPA was to be enjoyed fresh.

08-13-2011 07:10:44 | More by dodgerrigo
lehueve

Mexico

4.46/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

22 oz Bottle, poured into a Tulip Glass.

A - Slight hazy gold-orange, 1 finger of a white foamy head, looks very refreshing. It says enjoy by 9/10/13 on the bottle.

S - Very sweet but at the same time I get strong hops. Grapefruit, pineapple, maybe some grapes, very citrusy.

T - Taste is pretty much the same as the aroma, citrusy, lots of grapefuit, oranges, pineapple, well balanced with sweet malt coming through to kind of hold the bitternes, bitter but not overpowering. Very pleasant.

M - Very smoth, refreshing, a little more to the bitter side, definitely the hops win the battle against the sweet malt but still a very well balanced beer.

O - By not being my favorite style at all, I was very surprised by this beer. I don't know if the weather has something to do with this but I'm really enjoying this one. I definitely get the hops but right after I get this sweet malt that kind of balance the flavor. Do not taste the 8.5% abv at all. Very refreshing. Definitely one of my favorite IPA's so far, just behind Stone Ruin Ten and Samuel Smith IPA. Very good.

08-03-2013 08:50:34 | More by lehueve
stacket1

3.75/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: dark gold, fizzing

Smell: strong obvious hops to come

Taste: a tad harsh from hops and obvious ABV. Maybe a little petey. Rugged.

Mouthfeel: full bodied, but was not as perky as many IPA or as robust as imperial IPA

Overall: decent for a first try, expected either more liveliness or more intensity in flavor but instead this was a fat beer with felt heavy not happy

08-26-2013 02:52:15 | More by stacket1