Ten Years Alt - Victory Brewing Company

Ten Years AltTen Years Alt

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Altbier |  8.50% ABV

A Doppelsticke Altbier brewed for Victory Brewing's 10th Anniversary, released in Feb 2006 and debuting at BeerAdvocate's 3rd Annual Extreme Beer Fest in 2006. A dark ale with malty depth, but with the fragrance and bold, brassy tang of European hops. 8.5%. According to Victory, they believe that this could be the first Doppelsticke brewed in the US.

(Beer added by: Todd on 01-05-2006)
rab53

Washington

12-10-2011 03:24:10 | More by rab53
HappyHourHero

Indiana

4.8/5  rDev +21.8%

I love altbier, but I wasn't sure how all that extra malt was going to affect the beer. Spicy tea aroma with a hint of underlying caramel malt. Poured a dense oatmeal colored head that faded to a thin film. A few strings and specs of lace cling to the glass above the glowing, hazy, darkcopper colored beer. Delicious floral hop flavor combined with the clean maltiness. Bitterness is ever present just beneath the malt, and only breaks through in the finish. Mouthfeel is as crisp as a "single" Altbier. 8.5% alcohol drinks like it's 6.5%. I'm amazed the were able to balance the malt and hops so evenly; avoiding the overly sweet maltiness of other Doppel Stickes. If Victory made a standard gravity Altbier it would anchor my beer fridge (fingers crossed).

04-02-2006 21:11:42 | More by HappyHourHero
Phatz

4.72/5  rDev +19.8%

I have had this beer several times now. I had it on-tap Friday night at the Victory party, On-tap Saturday night at the victory party and from the wooden barrel. I am now having it in the bottle and it is just as good. In fact I enjoyed it even more at home. I didn’t take notes previously so I do not know if it really is better in the bottle or just the fact that there are less enthusiastic distractions in my home; and the relaxed experience allows me to focus on the beer better at home. Nonetheless, those of you who had this beer at the party, do not fear that you’ll get something less in the bottle. I did worry it wouldn’t be as good, and it is great!

I my opinion this beer has absolutely no faults whatsoever. It is an instant favorite of mine.

Appearance: It is a dark amber color that is pretty much transparent (very enticing just by appearance). A nice whit head and decent lacing.

Smell: This beer portrays a big but gentle sweet malt aroma. It smells of caramel, brown sugar, birch or cherry wood, a sprinkle of spices and a hint of brandy.

Taste: The flavor is dominantly a brown sugar sweet malt. It also featured caramel, a hint of molasses, a dash of pepper and just a hint of cherry and apple. I know this beer was not aged in a wooden barrel, (I had that version at Victory’s party) but it still seemed to have a hint of that wood flavor like in a Woodford Reserve Bourbon. As a huge fan of Bourbon and Brandy all I could think of was my dream come true, a whiskey beer. That does not mean you could taste the alcohol. The 8.50% ABV was completely masked; buried so deep that you would never imagine it was more than 5% until you finish the second one and realize it :)
The hop character is firmly yet discretely present. The floral hops show them self only through mild spices and grannysmith apple or lime peel presence found alongside the pepper flavor. Not overly green just enough to keep it nice and crisp. What a perfectly balanced flavor. Excellent!

Mouthfeel: It is smooth and slick at the beginning and the end with a hint of peppery crispness just before the swallow.

Drinkability: I can drink this till I fall over! Wow. I am flabbergasted. It is so smooth an yet crisp; sweet yet bitter, it is IMO, everything a beer should be!
What else can I say. It is an absolute must have. Try it and see what you think!

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

02-27-2006 06:27:09 | More by Phatz
Gasp100

Delaware

4.72/5  rDev +19.8%

It's been quite a while since I reviewed a beer. I've been drinking mostly N/A beer during the week since the new year but fitting in some great local, seasonal brews on the weekends (Troeg's Nugget Nectar, etc...). I call Altbier my favorite style but to be honest I'm not sure I've actually had that many true Alt's -- my favorite beer hands down to date has been Stickenjab Alt. I guess it's just the perfect balance of malt & hops for me... well, this is better. I've always thought Victory brewed incredibly fresh and consistent brews that made you feel like you were in Germany drinking them and this is no exception. Supposedly this style is not easy to brew and I just love it. Sweet malty pleasure, smooth caramel with crisp hop notes and a nice dry finish. The ABV definitely creeps up but it is unoticeable during the first couple pints. This really is fantastic... and a great brew for their 10th anniversary. I hope we see this offering again because it's just wonderful. Possibly my favorite all-around beer.

03-16-2006 03:24:51 | More by Gasp100
PSUDREW

4.7/5  rDev +19.3%

Definately excited to review this beer. Victory introduced me to a world of brews I had not know, and to get some of the 10th anniversary, well, warms to cockles of my heart. Call the ratings sentimental, but I love this brew.

Pours a deep, rich amber color. Nice tan and frothy head, that dissapates quicker then I expected, and leaves a nice lacing.

A sweet, flowery, and malty nose. nice and rich

The taste is such a mix. roasted malts, and a citrusy hops finisy. it is such a nice balance. creamy texture that goes and blends with the taste. Hints of cherry and coco are there, along with some This is such a well made, well balaanced beer, that going through a case was like nothing. If only the price tag allowed me more. Exquizit beer, coats as it goes down. cover all the bases w/ matlines and hops, and you don't even notice the 8.5%. great brew, shame they don't make this more!

03-15-2006 05:45:55 | More by PSUDREW
Georgiabeer

Georgia

4.65/5  rDev +18%

Wow! This beer made me literally rear back in my seat. Not at all what I was expecting. Probably the finest Alt I've had (for my palate).

The beer poured a nice rich looking dark copper, with very little head. Some lacing on the glass.

The nose is very malty, with very little hop element present. A slight roasted/carmelized smell is present.

The taste is fantastic! An explosion of bitter hops balanced with a roasted grain and rich malt flavor. The bitterness is dry and really lingers. The roastiness really underscores the hops well to create a treacly (but not sweet) burnt profile with a shot of peppery sting. Really amazing and different.

The mouthfeel is rich and creamy and very satisfying.

This is not a session beer due to its relatively high abv and powerful flavor. I would definitely want to have a couple of these, and would probably crave a third.

A really outstanding addition to the Victory lineup. I wish they would make this a yearly thing.

07-11-2006 05:36:21 | More by Georgiabeer
WVbeergeek

West Virginia

4.6/5  rDev +16.8%

Appearance is caramel light brown hue forms a nice sized off whtie cream colored head leaves behind a good bit of lacing. Aroma contains sharp but roasty sweetness somewhat of a mineral character herbal German noble hops toasted nut character with a citrus under tone. Taste has more depth that arises as it warms flavors complement eachother well, malts not overly sweet toasted nut some alcohol notes roling hop profile herbal grassy light citrus flavors ample bitterness very nicely done. Mouthfeel has a medium body smooth carbonation stays on the palate nice Drinkability...well, I quaffed a few of these at Victory during the 10th anniversary party had to revisit to give it a worthy review found it in Pittsburgh for $1.99 a bottle so I picked up a couple.

03-10-2006 20:42:42 | More by WVbeergeek
rayjay

Hawaii

4.6/5  rDev +16.8%

From BeerBeing in the never again.again! BIF. 2006 release, but now I hear it's being brewed again.

Pours a brite leathery brown with moderate foam, with only a slight haze, probably from bottle conditioning, of at least from being unfiltered.

Great example of when an artist uses high quality German malt; lots of highly kilned pale malts and extra special malts, Munich malt, etc. I'd guess the base malts are about 60% pils and 40% Munich. reminds me of munching on malts. Copper kettles show their mark with a gentle tangyness and smooth hop bitterness. Melts together perfectly. Followed by a smooth bitter and sweet, slightly charred aftertaste.

Moderate carbonation and refreshing drinkability, coupled with smooth but deep complexity. One of the best Victory beers I've ever had. Cheers!

11-02-2008 18:42:02 | More by rayjay
sacrelicio

4.6/5  rDev +16.8%

this wonderful beer pours a amber/ruby with some brown/orange highlights and a nice, finger thick cream colored head. the smell is that of toasty malts, tangy, brassy hops and raisins. the taste starts with some meaty, savory, smoky notes that segue into some intensely bitter hops mixed with chocolate and dark fruit. the finish has more dark fruit and smoke with hints of black and white pepper. this beer almost reminds me of a zinfandel or shiraz in the flavor department. absolutely awesome. the mouthfeel is substantial without being heavy, with ample carbonation to boot. fantastic beer. i must try some imported doppelsticke. the drinkability is great, can't see myself getting sick of the taste, only downfall is a noticable alcohol effect that is kicking in as i type, so drinkability suffers a tad.

Ahhh...as the beer warms, it gives off a garlic aroma. amazing. coffee, too.

08-23-2006 01:33:37 | More by sacrelicio
Maestro

4.58/5  rDev +16.2%

Appearance: Dark red but not quite brown. A big ole foamy head leaves a nice lacing on the glass.

Smell: Big time malts...biscuit and bread.

Taste: Lots of malt but also a noticeable hop presence. Very good balance of choice selections.

Mouthfeel: Smooth drinking for all of the "bigness".

Drinkability: Scary...all I can say is "Scary".

03-28-2006 02:47:07 | More by Maestro
JudgeRoughneck

Louisiana

4.55/5  rDev +15.5%

10 years Alt is a dull brownish ruby color with a big malted-milk color head that fades quickly to a thin layer and laves splashes of lacing. Aroma is soft and faint and of earthy hops, caramel malt, and slight roasted grain. Starts with intensly sweet caramel and then soft bready and roasty characters introduce spice notes and very soft hop flavors for a bitterswet finish. This develops a kind of apple-tasting crispness as the beer warms. Very slight alcohol, bitter hop twang, and roast in the aftertaste. This beautiful and smooth. I am a big fan.

Mouthfel is rich and creamy. I could drink alot of this.

11-19-2006 04:44:02 | More by JudgeRoughneck
Risser09

4.55/5  rDev +15.5%

12 oz bottle poured into a large snifter - Bottled in 2006 to commemorate Victory's 10th Anniversary. Served at cellar temperature.

Appearance: Pours a deep brown color with a tan head that rises to half an inch. The head had various sized bubbles, with little lacing.

Smell: Completely noticable upon opening the bottle. Strong malt sweetness bursts from the glass. Leather, rum, raisin, pumpkin pie and caramel. Big, bold and complex.

Taste: Densely malted and plenty of flavor. Tobacco, toast, rum soaked raisin, sweetened fig, baked outmeal and a hint of smoke. Great combination of thick, complex flavors for a fall night.

Mouthfeel: Sugary at first and plenty of flavor. The alcohol is evident and welcomed. Slight bitterness in the finish makes this a beer you want to quaff.

Drinkability: I love this beer. I think this is the second Altbier I've had, and it's a style I really enjoy. This one is aged and could probably go on for quite a few years to settle that bitter finish. The sugars might attenuate even further to enhance the mouthfeel and add flavor complexity. I am very satisfied with this one. Buy it if you see it. I would have no problem drinking 2-3 of these in a night.

09-22-2007 00:53:22 | More by Risser09
BrewAStorm

4.53/5  rDev +15%

I picked this up in a six pack today and wow am I impressed.

Initial smell was alittle too sweet (mind you I just finished a bottle of St. Boisterous) and I feared the 8.5% of alcohol would be over powering... Not the case. Drinkability was very smooth with nothing but the thought of "wow was that good" after it went down. A fruity malt taste with vanilla and a slight hint of ripe plums and chocolate.

I'm going back tomorrow and picking up a case.

05-21-2006 01:07:16 | More by BrewAStorm
burnstar

4.53/5  rDev +15%

Pours a slightly opaque copper color with a medium sized creamy head. Aroma is roasted caramel malt with some flowery european hops in the background. Taste is powerful caramel malt at first and through the middle. Hops come in at the end and it finishes dry. Some fruit flavors are also noticable. Quite tasty and pretty balanced. Mouthfeel rather "chewy" but not too heavy. I think the slightly dry finish really balances out the consitancy of this. Alcohol is not noticable at all. Very very nice. Definitely drinkable. I want another one.

06-14-2006 04:11:30 | More by burnstar
bonbini26

01-11-2012 21:05:35 | More by bonbini26
TastyTaste

4.5/5  rDev +14.2%

Appearance: Maroon, clear, much visible carbonation. Head fills out to about a half inch in a wide mouthed goblet.

Smell: Malt, roasted malt, light grassiness, a little hop sweetness. Very good.

Taste: Wow, very different. A strong, sweet, well balanced beer. Malt is roasted, hops are strong and substantial for this style of beer. Alcohol also adds another dimension, fantastic and very easy to enjoy. I am going to definitely pick up another 6er of this.

Mouthfeel: Smooth at first, then carbonation finishes with the alcohol, making it somewhat sharp on the finish.

Drinkability: Congrats on the 10 years, Victory. Ten Years Alt is a nice, easy drinker, one of my favorites in the style.

03-15-2006 16:29:19 | More by TastyTaste
tavernjef

4.5/5  rDev +14.2%

Clear copper body. One or two mentionable bubbles slowly gliding up within. Smallish firm capping of dirtied tanned froth. Long, boney fingered lace spans across the glass.

Aroma is what I'd call tall and slim. Lovely whole grain bready aroma thats fresh and reaching with a slight nutty dryness, a slim sweet fruityness and a dusting of chocolate.

Taste is well blended and balanced with malts bringing lightly dry bread tones floating off the middle from its sweetish start. From midway to the finish this is all unquitting flavors on the palate. Great bready grains and caramel with very adequately balanced floral hoppyness and dry leafyness. Finds time to squeeze in some fruits just before the swallow. Very intriguing and complex. Lengthy too. One of the higher qualities that I liked about it was that it lasted on the buds and begged for more as it did. Nice!

Feel is just a notch above medium. Fairly filling, yet smooth and succulant with a well rounded appeal thats quite quenchable. Mostly detained from the middle and into the finish where it almost seemed to gain more and more control and attention. Solid carbonation. The hops begin to find their home after a while. And there where and when they find it, which is sooner than later, its dry, grassy, floral, and nutty. Fantastic.

A wonderfully balanced beer with lots of flavor packed fun. It grows on ya might quick and is gone just as so. And 8.5%, please...where it is, is probably a couple more later when you've nearly drained em as fast as you've poured em.

Raise another flag in victory for Victory for this fabulous Anniversary Alt!

03-07-2006 03:11:24 | More by tavernjef
kmpitz2

Tennessee

4.5/5  rDev +14.2%

12 oz bottle, poured into my tulip. The beer is a nice ambered medium dark tea color with a light head that falls to a very light skin over top with a thick ring around the top. Clarity is very good. Nose is slightly nutty, with a light golden raisin and apple skin fruityness. A light herbal noble hop plays behind it all. Flavor is nice. Almost a lightly cooked brown sugary and caramel sweetness infused with a solid nuttyness and lighter raisin fruityness. The finish is a great mix between fruity fig notes and very crisp, almost lighty citrusy, herbal hop. I really enjoy the depth of the malt profile in this one. The rich caramel and brown sugar notes along with the deep toasty/nuttyness is really nice, and the crisp hop finish really rounds it out. The feel is thick, almost chewy, with a moderate carbonation. The big feel works well with the big flavor. The flavors definately hide any hint of the alcohol, making this one very drnkable. The flavors are clean and keep me taking my time with it so I can enjoy this bottle longer. Tasty brew. Congrats on 10 years to Victory.

03-29-2006 02:45:45 | More by kmpitz2
RonfromJersey

4.5/5  rDev +14.2%

Rich red orange body, topped by a fist worth of irregular off-white highly frothed bubbles which burst steadily while the beer settles.

Strong biscuity aroma, highly inviting.

Extremely rich caramel start, a nice deeply sweet beginning which is not too sweet. The sweetness gives way to a rising tidal wave of earthy hop tones which crash the party and swing it over towards the bitter side of town. The tide recedes and all the elements come together in the finish: the sweet malt is still swinging in the face of some well placed noble hop bites. Mild sensation of alcohol lurking around the edges.

Solidly full mouthfeel. Nice and chewy.

Good drinkability for a big beer. I regret the sixer is gone.

Victory comes up a winner with this birthday present to all of us beer drinkers.

05-29-2006 05:07:55 | More by RonfromJersey
cheers2beers

4.47/5  rDev +13.5%

Appearance: Poured a nice dark amber with an orange glow when held to the light. A nice fluffy off white head stacked up about one finger high with minimal laceing left behind.

Smell: The aromas are quite nice.Sweet caramel malts with a profound hop character is noticed.Raisins,apple cider,and a citrus fruit of some sort.

Taste: The flavors are nice balanced hop and sweet malt combo followed by a strong alcohol note. A pear and apple cobbler with some christmasy spices such as nutmeg,cinnamon, and clove.Not bad at all.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a medium level of carbonation. Hop bitterness and sweet malts in the begining with a strong alcohol finish.

Drinkability: This is definitely a must try. I'm goig to age a few of these, six months and one year apart to see the changes, but wont be able to compare to a fresh due to it being one-off release now.

Cheers2Beers

04-10-2006 23:14:16 | More by cheers2beers
numenor1

4.47/5  rDev +13.5%

Had this a few times now...Venom pretty much nailed it.

"Brilliant pale copper. Large, gluey almond suds. Smooth wall of big bubbled carbonation. Piquant dry walnut skin aroma with fresh spicy German hop florals tinged with green apple juice. Initially crisp but creamy and metallic, nut skin bitter closing with a sharp tingle of robust hop spice. Richly malted but on the drier side, abounding in nut skins. Slick layer of spicy alcohol lurks beneath with a mild brush of apple to it. Firmly bitter through and through, amplified in the bottle no doubt, with loads of spicy florals and lime peel hinting bitters. Finishes big and hearty with nut skins, tangy apple brandy and bombastic German hop spices kicking the close into dryness. All the while this remains insatiable for its brute size. Here’s to 10 and many, many more."

06-03-2006 06:15:53 | More by numenor1
KarlHungus

4.45/5  rDev +12.9%

This beer pours a cloudy brownsh-ruby color. The head is rather large an recedes ever so slowly into above average lacing. The aroma is enormously malty: caramel, brown sugar, plums, and a nice sharp spiciness. The taste is malty. However, it is kept for being overly sweet by the spiciness that persists through out the sip, and by the alcohol that makes itself present in the finish. The mouthfeel is full bodied with nice carbonation. Overall, this is a very good beer that I wish Victory would continue to make.

05-05-2006 00:59:22 | More by KarlHungus
oberon

4.43/5  rDev +12.4%

A great ten year anniversary beer in my opinion,poured a deeper brown with some amber tint with a tighter white well retained head.Aromas are malt tilted some caramel malt and a nice peppery hop zip,flavors are alot like the aromas and let me say the alc% is so well hidden in this beer that I thought it was at 5-6% alc at most,flavors of molasses and caramel up front but there is a definent spicey hop profile that made me wanna continue on with this brew.Well my favorite alt to date better than the Urige line in my mind,soon to be a classic in my opinion.

02-19-2006 03:57:11 | More by oberon
acrawf6

Louisiana

4.43/5  rDev +12.4%

Pours out a nice rusty copper color, like a warm red. tan head foams up.

Smell. Very good sweet caramel, sweet and creamy. Hops are also present and nice. Actually i think it is the hops that gives it the caramel smell.

Taste. Quite nice and complex. A low and sharp citris hoppiness, giving this beer a dry and bitter taste. I think the hops are dominant in this beer, but the malts are certainly quite present. Aftertaste i get a cooked peach taste, like it cobbler. Man, this is a good beer.

Mouthfeel is quite full. Lots of carbonation in this as well. The complexity of this beer makes it hard to say how balanced it is, but it is a very full flavor, and it's very good.

Overall, what a beer! I was quite surprised on the amount of hops here. I just love the flavor and complexity.

06-06-2006 23:48:07 | More by acrawf6
proc

4.43/5  rDev +12.4%

The fine folks at Victory have scored, yet, another nice beer. This one pours out to a light reddish color in the glass with a slight head. The aroma is malty with hints of light fruit and bread dough. The taste is quite good, to near excellent. This beer has a style unto its own. At points, I thought I was drinking a barleywine and then an IPA/Pale. Its complex enough to make you think that its these styles and then some. An amazing piece of brewing.

03-05-2006 02:16:11 | More by proc