Braumeister Pils - Saaz - Victory Brewing Company

No picture uploaded.

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Czech Pilsener |  5.70% ABV

(Beer added by: GeoffFromSJ on 02-03-2006)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

On tap at Max's yesterday. Many thanks to John for this, if left to my own devices, I would have gotten a 14oz glass of this, but he seized control of the situation and got me a nice looking liter of this. Thank you, John.

Light yellow with a dense, white head, rocky, choppy and glorious. Sticky lace is present, lasting longer than the beer does.

Holy fuck! This is beer! Light, bready, a touch yeasty, this is perfection for a keller pils. Bready, light hop character with lemon and grassiness, this is perfect! The palate is true to style. Light, grainy, rustic malt character is present but the hops really sing in this beer. Delicate bitterness with a beautiful, complex lemon, grass, and pepper bouquet, this is just fantastic. Drying on the finish with a grainy, husky character, this is fabulous. I drank a liter and could have gone for another two.

4.43/5  rDev +5.7%

On tap at Max's today.

The beer pours a striking gold color with good head retention and decent lacing. On the nose and palate, this beer is just a thing of beauty. The beer displays a striking aroma of honey, bees wax and white pepper. The flavor profile replicates the nose, with the beer showing an impressive blend of light honey, bread dough, and peppery bitterness on the finish. Mouthfeel is light, with the beer showing a crisp, clean finish. Drinkability is quite good, with the alcohol barely an afterthought.

Not that I'm surprised, but this is a very well made pilsner style beer from Victory.

4.1/5  rDev -2.1%

Growler from the Piney Grove Green's in Columbia, SC. A steal at $8.99. Poured into a big mug.

Lightly hazy yellow-gold pour with a monstrous white head. Retention is excellent. Decent lacing.

Lemony, spicy nose. Lightly sweet, biscuit like malt. Pretty simple, and to the point.

Bready sweet up front, followed by some tangy lemon. An herbal, grassy bitterness meets the sweetness in the semi-dry finish.

Fairly light bodied. Crisp, clean, and refreshing. A super easy drinker, this is a classic Pils, all the way. No surprise, coming from Victory. Very flavorful, not quite as hoppy/bitter as Prima Pils, but still quite tasty.

3.58/5  rDev -14.6%

16 ounce pint - $6.50 at Taco Mac in Canton, Georgia.

Appearance: Delicately hazed, light yellow body with a sudsy, white head fed by sporadic streams of effervescence.

Smell: Whiff smelling modestly of German pilsner malts paired with Saaz notes imparting hints of flowers, cut lemon, and soap suds.

Taste: Pilsner malts, minimally sweet, along with a touch of soda crackers. Small pop of fresh florals on the tongue. Then, a bit of lemon and very subtle spiciness. The hop bitterness remains for the dry finish.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied. Medium-plus carbonation.

Drinkability: While I was initially interested in the isolation of Saaz and Saaz alone, by the time I'd reached the halfway point in the pint, I was bored to tears. One-dimensional for me, so I'd say stick to the standard Prima Pils.

Victory's Braumeister Pils has a very hazy yellow body that is clearly unfiltered, and a healthy white head that has pretty good retention and leaves a little bit of lacing behind.

I wasn't sure which variety of hop was used in this version of Braumeister when I ordered it, but one sniff told me everything I needed to know: this one is absolutely packed with saaz hops, and they definitely dominate the aroma, adding an earthy, skunky quality to the aroma.

The flavor of this saaz-ed up Braumeister is almost all saaz hops also. Very earthy with skunk and lemon grass mixed in. The hops fill the flavor from beginning to end, allowing only a touch of pilsner malt to peak through. The malt provides some cracker-like sweetness and a little bit of balance, but this one is all about the hops.

The mouthfeel of Braumeister pils is a little different than Prima Pils; the body is a bit heavier and the carbonation is a little bit lower. With that said, compared to other beers Braumeister Pils is still light and highly carbonated. I only make the comparison to Prima Pils because I had them back to back.

Pretty drinkable, but fairly one-dimensional too. I like Braumeister, and it is a great way to feature a single hop variety. If you like saaz hops, or want to get to know them better, this one is for you.

On-tap at the Brick Store.

Pours a hazy lemon-yellow color with a one-finger white head. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of lemon peel mostly with hints of spicy and somewhat floral hops. As the beer warms the malt aromas wake up and are joined by mild amounts of breadiness.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Light malt flavors kick things off and are joined quickly by solid amounts of light citrus - mostly lemon but with hints of orange. Midway through the sip the hop flavors turn the least bit spicy before carrying through to a crisp and mildly bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with moderate carbonation.

Drinkability is also good. I finished my glass with no problem and could have another.

Overall I thought the Tettnanger version was much better - this was almost a hybrid of their pilsner and a wit. Still, an interesting beer that's worth a shot.

4.47/5  rDev +6.7%

A-Slightly hazed golden yellow with a HUGE pillow bright head head that slowly reduced to a thin cap and left sticky, ringing lace.

S-The classic herbal and lemon punch of Saaz hops washes over the mildly sweet biscuit pils malt.

T-Herbal, lemony zing up front with pleasant mildly sweet biscuit malt backing. Nice semi-dry finish.

M-Light bodied, super sharp and crisp. Long lingering herbal and lemon rind bitterness.

D-Highly quaffable, full of flavour and an impressive, approachable bitterness. This one dances across the palate and leaves you begging for more. Fresh and crisp this one is quite the tribute to the Motherland!

On tap at Local 44.

I left my last final of the semester and walked home in the sweltering heat. By the time I got to my house my mouth was getting pretty dry. Instead of going home I went the extra block to local 44 in search of something to quench my insatiable thirst. I swung open the door only to find a completely empty bar, which I was half expecting as it was about 2 in the afternoon on a Tuesday. All that meant to me was that I got to enjoy Victory's great pils in peace while I talked to the bartender.

When the glass was placed in front of me I was impressed with nice airy, fluffy, white head that sat on top of a pale, hazy, straw yellow pint.

The smell was subtle but good. There were some nice floral hops and sweet fresh fruit aromas.

It tasted great. There was a pleasant malt sweetness followed by some moderate hops. There were citrus fruit flavors and lemon zest followed by a dry grassy finish with just a little touch of bitterness. The bitterness didn't linger and I would have to say this beer is a little more on the sweet side of things.

It had a good light body. It was clean, crisp and very refreshing. The perfect beer to forget about how hot it was outside.

Every part of this beer was perfectly balanced which made it unbelievably easy to drink.

I finished my finals, it was beautiful outside, and this beer made a great day even better. I wish it was available all the time.

4.47/5  rDev +6.7%

This is a beer that has only ever been released on draft at the brewery and select other retail establishments. Just recently, Victory has re-released this braumeister series pils in limited quantities to area distributors for home consumption. I was lucky enough to grab a keg from Exton Beverage. Props to them for getting a few kegs of it and selling me one.

Poured from my home tap into a Prima Pils pilsner glass.

A: A light hazy golden color with a huge white fully billowy head. Lots of carbonation (maybe a bit too much in this keg) leaves a huge head that is 3 to 4 inches deep. The head disappears quickly though and leaves full wonderful glass lacing.

S: Classic Czech noble hops with a floral fruity hop aroma and a nice deep sweetness.

T: First sip leaves a sweet fruity taste in the mouth which quickly leads to the floral grassy citrus hops blast. Lemon flavors, some slight orange flavor with a sweet malt flavor. Finish is a lingering noble hop taste that is not real bitter, but very clean and crisp. Just the right amount of sweet and drying finish. Balanced more than I would have guessed. Damn, this beer is good.

M: Creamy and full and oh so satisfying. As I said, not real bitter but bitter enough. No alcohol detected at all. I also think my keg was a bit overcarbonated because I was getting massive head, but I am slowly lowering it and my pours are getting much better. Still, a pils needs to be more carbonated than other beer.

D: Forget it. This beer is the ultimate in drinkable. I had maybe 6 or so on Easter and they go down so smoothly, but they do not rock you with the lower abv. A beer with this much flavor and a low abv? Heavenly drink.

Overall this is a great, great beer. Those who know me know I love Prima. This is a less bitter more drinkable pils, but Prima I still feel has more flavors and complexity. If you want a drinkable pils that is oustanding, this beer is for you. Awesome, just awesome. I am a lucky to be able to enjoy this at any given time, but I know this keg won't last long.

Served as a hazy golden colored beer with moderate white puffy head.
Smell is light and citrus fruity.
Taste peresents more of the citrus fruit flavors with a nice crisp bite at the ending.
Very refreshing, very satisfying.
A nice beer when your are having more than one.

3.65/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A - Pale straw with a faint haze, large head and lots of lacing.

S - Herbal hops and light malt.

T - Spicy hops, herbal with a flavor I can't place. Light malt. Aftertaste is a bitter noble hop.

M - Smooth, in spite of high carbonation, medium bodied, refreshing.

D - Good, an intense pils, definitely worth trying.

3.73/5  rDev -11%

Much thanks to host Phatz for sharing another of his prized growler selections while bottling his Razz Cider.

A - Fluffy white cloudy head, slightly cloudy golden body w/ slowly dissipating head

S - Fresh malty German pils scent, smell of noble hops. Sweet herbal notes from aroma hops and malt.

T - Sweet Dry mild but spicy bitterness. Balanced clean and easy to drink in a session. Nice pilsner malt qualities shine through in finish.

M - Light, crisp and thin but suitable for pilsner style.

D - Easy going down, highly quaffable pilsener. Laid back and restrained while impressing my taste buds with it's balance. Well put together and as I said before very sessionable

4.45/5  rDev +6.2%

I had the pleasure of sharing this growler with my friends Slatetank and gottajiboo2 on Friday. We had plenty of other beer so I am polishing off the growler this eavening and I am enjoying the daylights out of this beer. I have never enjoyed a Pilsner this much. It is remarkably easy drinking. I pulled the growler out of the fride a good 30 - 40 mins before opening to allow a bit of warming. I hates that draft beers are served too cold at the bar. this was soo much better at home.

Appearance: It pours a cloudy light lemon yellow color with a HUGE four finger head that is thick and rocky. It lasts for quite a while and as it fades it leaves the glass coated in thick sticky lacing. row after row.

Smell: I am not typically excited much by pilsners but this one really hits the spot. I am not exactly sure what it is about this particular pils that makes it so different from all the rest. I think what sets it apart is the freshness. I really smells like *fresh* cut grass hops and fresh split hay-like dryness with pale pilsner malt bread sweetness. Delightful.

Taste: Dry crisp lemon grass with a perfect saaz hop pucker presence; a divinely smooth peppery spice that pricks the palate on the back end especially. this is the only pils I have ever just gushed over. WOW! I am a fan.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and dry. Light in the mouth but full of flavor and spice. the hops just light up with pepperyness and the aftertaste lasts for mils and miles.

Drinkability: Drinkability is the feature of this beer. Absolutely amazing. I had half a growler a little while ago. Three glasses later the growler is empty and I am very satisfied. This was a pleasantly and surprisingly easy drinking beer I had next to my chicken and rice diner. With desert and with this review. I would put this on tap in my house over the summer, (if I had a draft system).

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

3.98/5  rDev -5%

Draught @ Victory: Another variation of their Pilsner beer, which I believe they only serve at their pub. The beer is a lovely hazy, golden color, with a white head. There is a slightly spicy hop & wheat aroma. The taste is a lighter malty, with maybe a hint of sweetness and spiciness. Very good hop bite, but not as balanced as the Prima Pils. There are definitely Wit characteristics in this brew. Another good reason to visit the brewery.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Appearance of this kellerbier hazy sunrise murky golden bliss billowing white head leaves chunky layers of lacing. Aroma is full on with Saaz herbal citrus lemongrass floral notes along with big biscuit malt layers and yeast breadiness that both elope very nicely together. Taste is upfront flavorful with hoppy tones of lemongrass, herbal citrus notes with a healthy amount of bitterness doesn't make you pucker but the bready yeast and biscuit malt profile balances and lets you know that everythings alright. The mineral character adds another level of crispness to the complexity that this single hopped brew has to offer. Mouthfeel had lively carbonation medium-lighter bodied unfiltered pils the body had some texture to it. Drinkability overall possibly my favorite beer I tasted at Victory on Saturday night during their celebration of the decade in brewing.

4.53/5  rDev +8.1%

Hazy and pale golden in colour, puffy and cloudy white head firmly supplanted on top of this gem. Protruding essences of lemon and Saaz hops with back notes of malty goodness. It seemed to really round into form the warmer it got. The finish was noncloying, precise, and very flavorful and alluring. Citrus, Saaz hoppiness, and a closing bitterness round out this fine, fine offering.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

It came to me a resonant, glistening gold, clear and alive with carbonation. A finger-plus of bright white head held its own long and heartily, then laced the glass fluently.

The aroma was blissfully basic and focused, with light, berry sweet malt mingling with mild doughy yeastiness and the more poignant, tangy lift of the Saaz hops.

Upon sipping, the malt flowed first, with a rounded initial fruity sweetness that was promptly mitigated by the nippy bite of the hops. Continuing to dry more as it progressed, the hops passed from tangy to peppery to more of a fuzzy image as it turned more torward bittering. The long-lingering finish was a soft, glowing tribute to the hops, with the wee-est measure of yeast along for the fine ride. It's hard to imagine a pilsener being more sound and refreshing.

Light bodied, it still felt tightly woven on the palate, with nary a hole in the wash of flavor. The lingering glow was special.

I;ve often said that no matter how good it might be, not every beer can wow you. Well, while that is certainly true, this beer DOES wow me. From the first, visually-rewarding vision to the last flicker of finish, this is one wonderful creation. Crisp, refreshing, and rewarding, there is absolutely nothing in this beer that would stop you from wanting another, and another, and another. Anytime, any place, this one is a show-stopper, but I'm thinking of the heat of summer, in the sun, and this lovely beside me. Wow.

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

I believe I was the first to have this at the Grey Lodge as they tapped this around 6pm on Groundhog's Day.

Truly exceptional. Victory rep told me to classify this as a Czech pils, but she also gave me the official description: unfiltered, or 'keller' pilsner. German malt. Czech Saaz whole flowers.

Beautiful straw gold color with frothy head and nice lace. Dry taste. Peppery finish. Incredibly smooth at first and then less so as it warmed.

Wish it was summer and I could grill some salmon to go with this beauty.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »