Victory Harvest Ale - Victory Brewing Company

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: akorsak on 10-01-2006

Highly aromatic and sensual, this novel pale ale delivers a fresh hop flavor like no other brew. Its secret? Fresh hops piled into our boiling kettle just hours after their harvest. With many more of their essential oils intact, these ‘wet’ hops add glorious middle notes of juicy, fruit and tea-like bite to play off of its lightly toasted malt character deliciously.
4.35/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Best by March 2015.

A- 12oz bottle poured to a chalice with a translucent deep golden, copper body. A puffy cap rises to about a finger with decent retention. Sheets and webs of lace around the top with large spots following beyond that.

S- Intense passion fruit notes really grabs my attention right off the bat with a battering of glorious fresh hops beyond that. Tangerine, oranges, lemon zest, herbal and floral notes as it leans towards the citrus side of things. Light grainy and bread hints but the hops are the king here.

T- Follows the aroma, thankfully. A glorious passion fruit note is probably met at equal strength by citrus hop derived tones of orange, dankness, tangerine, lemon and clementine. Not much juicy hop character but some stone fruit hints beyond this. A bit more base grain character here and some yeast hints but the fresh hops are the star.

MF- Light overall body but a crisp edge to it with a substantial frothy consistency. Carbonation on the high side and it seems to really help accentuate the fresh hop character. Bitterness lingers in the finish moderately.

This is my first time having this brew. I had not really heard of it or seen it much until this year but I am very glad I discovered it this week. Hopefully I can find a full pack of it as I only bought a single; a very nice surprise!

Victory Harvest Ale
12 oz. brown glass bottle, "ENJOY BY: 10 MAR 2015 1421 P"
$2.79 @ Total Wine & More, Cherry Hill, NJ

Victory never fails to deliver, and just the aroma of dank, pungent hops coming off of this beer makes it all worthwhile! It's bright and full and complicated, and I can smell it at arms length. I could try to analyze the aroma but I don't think I could do it justice, so let's move on to the flavor.

Malt cuts right through, possible dashing your hopes of drinking sweaty hop juice, or perhaps not... they do remain, but not nearly as intensely as they do in the aroma. It's got an edge of sweet toasty bread, or even slightly burnt cake, and lots of gentle golden caramel. That then couples with a leafy, tea-like character from the hops and I instantly think of an English ale. But there's more, some fruits appear, giving it an almost orange marmalade character, which once again, makes me think of an English ale. Pine and pith, and other citrus find their way through as well, and it becomes more tropical and "West Coast IPA". It's solidly bitter, and in combination with the resinous hops it's quite dry in the finish, but overall the hop bitterness is balanced so that you can enjoy the hop flavors, and continue drinking without pause (although a bit of water might help to cleanse your palate and open you up to complexities you haven't experienced just yet). The soft caramel maltiness lingers long into the finish as hops flicker across it: pungent, spicy, fruity/citrusy, leafy, and even floral. Except for the possibility that some of the spiciness might be coming from the alcohol, it's entirely cloaked.

As far as hop harvest ales go, this has been one of the best I've tasted. The aroma is intense, and it's complex and full in flavor yet anchored and balanced. Each subsequent growing season will, of course, determine what the hops will give, but I'll certainly seek this out again. Along with the aroma of misty fields and piles of damp leaves, what better way welcome fall and ward off the chill than with a glass of this?

3.77/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Served on-tap at Al's of Hampden. Pours clear amber orange with a nice one finger tall white head, quickly dissipating down to a light film, leaving sticky webs of lace on the glass.

Smells of mildly toasted caramel malt, some pine resin, bit of grass and a touch of citric find. Taste is mainly the caramel sweetness and sticky pine resin with some backing chewiness from the malt. Slick, bitter feel with a bitter-sweet finish that lingers long after consumption.

Overall a decent wet hop "pale ale" that has some decent flavor and balance but never really wow's me in any facet. Nice to try but they make much better hoppy beers than this one.

3.5/5  rDev -14.8%

Juicy, with a strong bitter finish. The bitter is the dominant flavor aspect, in fact, and lingers a little to long for my tastes. But that's a point of preference. Good beer overall.

4.39/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottled poured into a tulip

A- A clear golden amber color with a two finger white head.

S- Pretty big, citrus, grapefruit, hints of wet grass, pine, slightly dank, nice toasted malt backbone.

T- Piney, somewhat dank, citrus, hints of toasted malts, well balanced.

M- Smooth, crisp, dry, medium body, high carbonation.

O- A great IPA from Victory, I am kicking myself for only buying one bottle. I need to remember to buy full 4/6 packs when Victory makes a new IPA because they are always good.

4.2/5  rDev +2.2%

Pours orange-golden with an off white head. Aroma is oily, floral and sweet, juicy fruitiness on top of a toasted bread with a little honey foundation. Flavor follows suit with a nice moderate bitter finish. A crisp medium bodied active mouthfeel. Overall, phenomenal stuff here. Victory has been on a tear with their hoppy releases lately.

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%

All I can say is this beer is extremely dank in both smell and taste. One of the most dank (cat urine/marjuana smell) beers I've sampled to date. Still very good. Not quite as juicy sweet as Dirt Wolf or Hop Ranch but still very solid. Also a tad bitter, metallicy in the finish. I still highly recommend for how fresh and awesome the hop profile is in this brew. At 6.5% its a nice ABV range as well as its not too heavy yet enough body to satisfy.

4.22/5  rDev +2.7%

12 ounce bottle into tulip glass, bottled on 9/10/2014. Pours slightly hazy orange/amber color with a 1 finger dense off white head with good retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Nice spotty soapy lacing clings around the glass, with some light streaming carbonation. Aromas of big grapefruit, tangerine, lemon zest, lime, pineapple, peach, mango, berry, herbal, floral, grass, pepper, light pine, light caramel, bread, and floral/grassy earthiness. Fantastic aromas with great complexity of bright/juicy citrus/tropical hops and light-moderate malt sweetness; with great strength. Taste of big grapefruit, tangerine, lemon zest, lime, peach, pineapple, mango, berry, pepper, pine, herbal, floral, grass, light caramel, bread, and floral/grassy earthiness. Good amount of pine/citrus rind bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of grapefruit, tangerine, lemon/lime zest, peach, pineapple, mango, berry, pepper, pine, and floral/grassy earthiness on the finish for a while. Damn nice complexity and balance of bright/juicy citrus/tropical hops and light-moderate malt sweetness; with a great crisp malt/bitterness balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a very smooth, crisp, and moderately sticky mouthfeel that is great. Alcohol is well hidden with minimal warming present after the finish. Overall this is an awesome wet hop pale ale. All around great complexity and balance of bright/juicy citrus/tropical hops and light-moderate malt sweetness; and very smooth and crisp to drink. A highly enjoyable offering.

4.14/5  rDev +0.7%

I picked up a bottle of Victory's Harvest Ale yesterday for $2.59 at The Lager Mill. I really like fresh hopped beers and since I've never had this one before I knew I had to give it a try, so lets see how it goes. Best by March 10th 2015. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks nice, it's goes good with the name, but I don't find it to be all that eye catching. It poured a fairly clear nice orange amber color that took on more of a amber color when held to the light with a finger and half of bubbly off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left some nice rings of spotty and patchy lacing behind. This was a very nice looking beer, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness with the hops being the first to show up, first comes the fruity hops that impart a mixture of topical fruit and citrus fruit aromas with some great pineapple, light peach and apricot like aromas coming along with a actual juicy fruit like aroma with some light piney and floral hops showing up in the background. Up next comes some doughy yeast that leads right into the malts with some sweet malt, caramel malt, toasted malt and bready aromas coming through. This beer had a really good aroma, I really liked how fruity it was and that juicy fruit aspect was a nice touch.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness with the hops still being the first to show up and they impart that same nice fruity aspects that it did in the aroma with more of the peach and apricot sticking out the most with some light floral and piney hops showing up in the background, but this time there's also a nice dank aspect that I didn't really get in the aroma. Up next comes a little bit of doughy yeast followed by the malts which impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma with the toasted and bready malt aspect sticking out the most. On the finish there's an actual tea like flavor followed by higher amount of medium bitterness with a herbal tea, fruit hop and light bready malt like aftertaste. This was a good tasting beer, but I wish it was just as juicy as it was in the aroma.

M- Smooth, a little crisp, pretty dry on the finish, medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. This beer had a good mouthfeel that worked well with it.

Overall I thought this was a good beer and a good example of a fresh hopped IPA, there was actually a good amount of balance to this brew and I really liked how everything that was described on label showed up in the taste and aroma. This beer had nice drinkability, it was smooth, a little crisp, pretty dry on the finish, not too filing and the taste did a nice job at holding my attention, I think two would be the perfect amount for me. What I like the most about this beer was the aroma, it was really nice and to me it was the highlight of this beer along with the balance. What I liked the least about this beer is that the taste just wasn't as juicy as the aroma, but I did like the dank aspect that showed up in the taste, but not in the aroma. I would buy this beer again next year, it's a nice fresh hopped beer that can hold it's own in the style and I would recommend it to anyone who likes fresh hopped IPA's. All in all I enjoyed this beer, the combination of the juicy fruit aroma and the herbal tea taste made this one unique fresh hopped IPA. Founders Harvest Ale is still my favorite of the style, but this might just be one of the better ones and it's one of the better Victory beers I've had. Good job guys, this was one tasty beer, keep up the good work.

4.14/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Enjoy by 3/10/15. 12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Pours a transparent golden with a small white head that fades and leaves nice retention and decent lacing. The aromas are very nice. The citrus and tropical notes collide. Lots of sticky grapefruit along with peach and mango. Some pineapple. Some caramel malts, but they clearly take a backseat. The flavors are bittersweet. This is a juicy one. Lots of fresh pine needles. More candy grapefruit. Some berries. Peach and mango is there once again. It has alot of exotic fruit notes. Hints of caramel. Finishes very clean. Mouthfeel is very nice. It's medium-bodied with active carbonation. Very smooth and easy drinking. Alcohol goes unnoticed.

This is a great brew from Victory. They've really been nailing their hoppy beers the past year or two and this is no exception. Well done. I'd also like to add this is an IPA if I've ever had one. I don't see this as a pale ale, but who cares, it's good.

3.98/5  rDev -3.2%

Pours clear amber color with bubbles racing up the brew like a champagne, leading to a creamy 1-2 finger light tan head that was full of bubbles and faded slowly, leaving foamy rings and good spotty lacing as it went down, plus a nice layer on top.

Smells of strong citrus hops, with grapefruit, oranges, lemon zest, biscuit, mild pine, light caramel, floral hops and hints of peppery spices. Very nice hop aroma that was more IPA than APA and what I hoped for in a harvest/fresh hop ale.

Tastes like it smells, with citrus hops, ripe grapefruit, orange, lemon, and other fruity notes, but then the malty balance kicks in with biscuit, caramel, toasted grains, light piney hops, yeast or wet wheat bread, floral hops and spices like pepper, tea leaf and dry grass. The finish is dry with lingering grainy notes that wash out the citrus sweetness and hide the ABV completely.

Mouthfeel was average with medium/average carbonation, an almost watery texture and enough flavor to go down easy. The tastes was not as strong and potent as the aroma, but this was still a quality fresh hopped pale ale that was not overly bitter.

4.75/5  rDev +15.6%

Poured from a 12 FL. OZ. bottle into a pint glass. ENJOY BY: 10 MAR 2015.

Appearance: Bright clear light amber to reddish orange body with a thinner white head. Lots of carbonation.

Smell: Tremendous aroma of floral hops, sweet malt backbone plays the lightest complimentary role.

Taste: One of the juiciest ales I have had the pleasure of tasting. Dank floral goodness coats the tongue, top to bottom back to front. A hint of spiciness in the aftertaste. A touch of caramel malt sweetness for just the slightest balance. The wet Citra hops really shine here, reminding me why they are one of my favorite varieties.

Mouthfeel: Astringent is the only word I can put here.

Overall: I had this on tap at the Roasthouse Pub in Urbana (near Frederick) after a long day of hiking (which included my first stint on the Appalachian Trail!) I fell in love with this on tap, but was afraid the bottle would let me down...it did not! My father, who tried a sip and is not fond of hoppy beers, asked if there were peaches in this. I told him that flavor just came from using juicy wet hops in the right combination. Almost a perfect 5 for me!

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%

Poured from a keg tapped at home into a nonic pint glass.

Appearance is a light orange/dark golden color with a nice two finger white head. Full sticky glass lacing.

Aroma is tropical fruits, herbal, dank with some biscuit sweetness.

Taste starts off with a huge blast of tropical fruit with pineapple, mango and slight grapefruit which gets mixed in with a heavy herbal, grassy and vegetal flavors. I get some slight cat piss flavor too. Sweetness is slight with biscuit and bready flavors. Dankness comes on to finish with some slight pine and a dry finish with a little bitterness. This tastes like a fresh hop field. Very good.

Mouthfeel is medium, slightly prickly, nice carbonation, no alcohol flavors, nice.

Overall this is a terrific fresh harvest beer that is a hop bomb. I'm not sure it's as good as my favorite, Founders Harvest, but it no doubt is still a fantastic example of the style.

4.18/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a bottle into a Goose Island tulip. The beer has a fairly dark amber gold color, very clear, and sports about a finger of fine off-white foam. The nose promises American hops in the form of fresh tropical fruit, very little dankness or piney aromas, and a slight whiff of mint.

Light to medium body - ideal for the style - and a sharp, pleasant hoppy flavor. Plenty of biscuity toasted malt up front to support the hops, which are just as lively on the tongue as they are aromatic on the nose. Fresh grapefruit, lemon, orange, some marmalade, and a hint of pineapple all join in. The finish is pleasant and those juicy, oily hoppy notes linger behind, urging you to keep sipping and sipping. Highly enjoyable stuff.

I rarely buy entire 4- or 6-packs of beers I've never had. Since I have really enjoyed Victory's other IPAs and IIPAs, I didn't consider this one to be much of a gamble. I was right. It is a delightful fresh hop IPA that I believe is right up there with Founders Harvest Ale and Three Floyds Broo Doo (my personal favorites in this `substyle'). Anyone who is a fan of either of those two beers should really enjoy this one. I will definitely buy more of it if Victory releases it again next year.

4.75/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

The previous reviewer nailed this beer perfectly. Pungent cut grass, pine, and light citrus, burst forward in the nose, and follow down the hatch. This is the only beer I've had in recent memory that is in the same league as Elevated IPA, one of the best hop experiences you can have...

4.29/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

12oz. Bottle (best by 10 mar 2015) poured into a Young's nonic pint.

A- 1-finger, khaki head. Clean, copper body with moderate carbonation. Head drops to a nice, full film and leaves lacy webs on the glass.

S- Lots of fresh, juicy hops. Grapefruit and grassy. Pineapple sweetness. Warmth brings tobacco, leather, and spice.

T- Fresh, leafy hops- tobacco-like and medicinal spicyness. A little black pepper. Cracker-like and slightly sweet malt backbone brings excellent balance.

M- Medium body with moderate carbonation. Bone dry finish.

O- Is there such a thing as a session barleywine? Bold hops balanced with a decent malt bill makes for one of the better APAs in memory. I'm glad my wife surprised me with a bottle from her wine trip to The Copper Vine. A good pair with leftover bacon, mushroom, Swiss burger fro Winchester.

4.27/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours into a standard pint glass a clear rich golden with a thinner white head atop.Whoo a big splash of tropical fruits hit ya in the nose along with a hint of Vidalia onion herbal notes,wow fresh hops galore!Grapefruit and tropical fruity hops upfront on the palate with a hint of grass and herb,just a lot of hop complexity,a mildly sweet caramel/biscuit base is well detected.One of the better harvest hop ales I have had in a while...maybe ever,a great beer.

4.15/5  rDev +1%

A: clear deep gold color; center pour produced a few fingers of fluffy ivory foam which trailed messy lace down the glass

S: wet grasses and grains with citric and floral points; hint of bright pepper

T: clean malt base softens the hops with fresh grain and mild sugars; hop character runs the gamut in a well-balanced range of grass and pine and citrus and flower; has some pithy moments and some piney ones; subtle bitterness barely edged by the faint sweetness of the malt

M: medium-bodied, amply carbonated, and smooth with a solid bitterness; crisp and tight but rounded

O: a well-executed fresh hop pale ale from victory that hits all the marks most look for in IPAs or APAs - straddles the line between the two styles. Get it while its fresh!

4.15/5  rDev +1%

Pours orange with with bright clarity and remnants of golden sunshine hues to make the color sharp. I did not pour a fat head with this one but I was taking a photo and that could change when I do a pour that doesn't necessitate me doing it slowly and carefully while trying to hold a camera. Off white head that fell to a thin ring and film on top. Nose is bold and fruity with orange and with an herbal that seems vegetal andcrisp to me. Grass and a light spice faintly in the shadows. As the beer comes up to temp there is a twiggy scent that's a bit piney. The malt is faint on the nose except for a light, light caramel.

I was not expecting the wild bonanza of fruits in this beer! Taste is pine needles, succulent fresh orange, a bit of bitter pith from grapefruit. An overall citrus character that has something sweeter and more tropical in the background but it remains elusive. A taste like hemp seeds. This beer is perfectly balanced. The malt is a light and dry biscuit that never lets the caramel run away with itself. The beer itself is dry and the mouthfeel is the lighter side of medium. In the middle of the drink is a vegetal quality that really makes this beer crisp and refreshing. The finish is perfectly dry. The citric tartness and that woody pine needle take you to the swallow where there is a decent bite from bubbles and a bit of stickiness to coat the throat. The bitterness seems tame at first because of the sweetness of the mosaic hops and while it does become more prominent as you drink, it does not linger too long. Aftertaste is dry pine needles, citric tartness with some bright orange peel and a surprising caramel that has come forward albeit softly to a sassy and brisk flourish.

I loved this and think this is one of the best pale ales I have had.

4.15/5  rDev +1%

Pours totally clear, fairly pale with a touch of amber.

Aroma gives of a quick blast of herbal, grassy hops upon opening.

Flavor is unusual, yet impressive. Grassy and vegital hops flavors dominate. Mandarin orange flavor adds some sweetness and bite. All together, it's reminiscent of a fresh asian salad.

Finishes sticky, bitter, yet slightly sweet.

Nice brew here. Offers a unique hop profile that's more herbal and grassy than most. I'll revisit next harvest season for sure.

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a beautiful clear copper color under a slowly-deflating head of lumpy beige foam. Aroma is all fresh, dank, oily, spicy hops...really highlighting the raw aromatics of wet hops. Herbs, green grass, marijuana, and peppery citrus all atop a substantial cereal malt base that adds just the right amount of support. Flavor is another blast of supremely oily, resinous hop cones backed by a lighter malty sweetness. Sticky pine needles, spicy grapefruit, lemongrass, peppercorns, and flowers. Very nice all around. Medium bodied, fluffy, and dry, never turning sweet, staying perfectly drinkable until the end. Despite the drinkability, it wouldn't surprise me if this was more like 7.5%+ given the intensity of flavor. Damn tasty stuff from Victory, who know a thing or two about hops.

4.12/5  rDev +0.2%

"Mountains of the freshest and juiciest hops are piled into our brew kettles just hours after their harvest to bring you this aromatic brew that's bursting with flavor. With more of their essential oils intact, these wet hops add notes of juicy fruit and a tea-like bite that play perfectly off the lightly toasted malt character. For the freshest flavor of this wet hopped ale, pop that top and taste freshness NOW!" Brewed in the style of a Harvest Wet Hop Pale Ale. Available as a fall release in 12 oz. bottled 4 packs and draft.

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle to a tulip glass. Served above 57º Fahrenheit.

(Appearance) Pours a frothy foam head of a pale tan color over a very mildly hazy, nearly transparent orange amber body. Light, subtle relaxed carbonation. Retention is good, lacing is light and streaked. 4

(Smell) Bold, juicy grapefruit, ripe citrus with peel, resinous pine, mango, some pineapple and pepper for a bold and complex hoppy aroma atop a slick mild caramel syrup body. Very clean and inviting with a moderate perceived bitterness. Potency is medium/high. 4.5

(Taste) Mango, grapefruit pith, tangerine, lemon and citrus rind, a mild peppery, herbal tea finish. Bitterness is moderate, fairly easygoing for the style. Goes well alongside a slick crystal malt backbone with a mild sweetness and a touch of biscuit for body enhancement, clean and simple. The malt profile could have gotten away with less body and still maintained well in the end. The hop flavors were a touch less preserved and bold than the aroma gave off with an herbal, creeping vegetal quality coming in, but overall it's still phenomenal. 4

(Mouthfeel) Texture is slick and resinous, clean, mildly dry. Carbonation generates a mild froth for a soft crisp mouthfeel. Body is medium for the style, medium+ overall. Balance is very slightly bitter over sweet. Alcohol presence is low and there are no off characters to mention. 4

(Overall) It's such a tasty harvest ale with all the best found flavors of juicy hop cones, a fitting harvest ale choice to kick off the November wet hop rush and a great balance of quality and price. Worth a try alongside some of the most popular harvest ales of the late fall season. 4

Victory Brewing Company's
Vine To Victory Harvest Ale

3.89/5  rDev -5.4%

Hey there...

Is the Queen ready for her tea and crumpets? Pretty much like the label on the bottle states: fresh, juicy hops with a dry, tea-like backbone - nothing more, nothing less. So if you are down for an octogenarian IPA (which isn't all that bad) have at it.

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%

Holy shit, Victory! You've just out done yourself.
What a beautiful, smelly, tasty, delicious pale ale we have here.
Dank, resinous, floral, citrus, pine, weed, feet, tree, grass, everything you want to taste in in APA is going on here.
I thought they outdid themselves with DirtWolf. I was wrong. Gahh!. Delicious.
Easily compares to ZombieDust, PseudoSue and all the other big boys, IMO.

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%

Aroma is very fresh, freshest yet with resiny citrusy hops having a grapefruit smell.
Taste is equally just as good. Bold and hoppy smooth with a lingering light bitterness.
Pours nice and clear with about a finger worthy of white head.
I need more