Donnybrook Stout - Victory Brewing Company

Irish Dry Stout |  3.70% ABV

Beer added by: tgbljb on 03-03-2007

Ratings: 466 | Reviews: 149
4.11/5  rDev +12.3%

I had this on tap at The Fountainhead Chicago. VERY drinkable stout here. I can hardly taste or feel the alcohol. Definitely my kind of drink!

A - Dark black, perfect head that lingers forever

S - I can't say the smell is all that great...that is there isn't much smell at all to me

T - Very creamy with little to no bite due to low alcohol content. Perfect for me who doesn't like high abv.

O - Great stout! I'm glad it's on tap 1/2 a block from my house. Very drinkable, very smooth...I could drink this all night long.

3.98/5  rDev +8.7%

Served on draft at Trappeze in Athens as part of a promotional event. Got a cool glass to take home too.

A: Jet black with creamy thick head. Remiscent of another Irish drought stout (in appearance).

S: Smoky scent with a small bit of hop aroma.

T: Smoky taste as well, along with a dry malty finish. A very nice dry stout that tastes like that other one would if it were a bit more fresh.

MF: A little thin, but not bad at all.

D: Very. A very sesisonal stout in a world of over-imperialization.

3.21/5  rDev -12.3%

On tap at Octane coffee in Atlanta

Appearance: Black, thick and creamy body with a head of 1 inch. Very good retention and nice lacing throughout.

Smell: Roasted grains and sweet brown sugar smell. Some residual chocolate as well.

Taste: Its a roasted malt and nutty taste with a slight smokey flavor on the back end. Seems like it would be a great cigar bar stout.

Mouthfeel: It's quite watery and weak-bodied for a creamy stout as is. Not a lot of points here.

Drinkability: It's decent for such a simple stout, but not something I'd return to on a regular basis.

4.9/5  rDev +33.9%

This is my favorite stout! Local Philly brewers are making stouts a standard and i couldnt be happier. I got this fresh pint from the blue dog cafe in lansdale. Great roasty flavor, not sour or acidic, full bodied and jet black. Similar to O'hara's (non-nitro stout favorite) but with more body and a fuller consistancy. Eastern PA residents... try this stout, i promise you will love it.

4.71/5  rDev +28.7%

Had this on draft while in the great city of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Lovely city and state if I may say so, now to the beer....

Three finger white coffee colored head that left lacing all over the glass. This looks delicious.

Malty, burnt, whiff of hops. Good!

Like the smell, dark chocolately malts, burnt offerings....Smooth as can be. Like velvet.

This is BEER! It would be great to be able to drink this all day everyday. Perfect for what it is. Way to go Victory.

3.66/5  rDev 0%

Appearance resembles the legendary Guiness. billowing milky carbonation bubbles liven up this beer. upon settling it is blacker that guiness. A finger of perfect tightly bubbled ivory head refuses to go away. perfect retention. not much carbonation left after the pour (accurate to the style).

smell is roasted malt, caremel, and some subtle coffee notes.

taste is smooth. like a guiness but way better (in my opinion). More flavor than guiness. This is the only beer Victory didn't hop the shit out of, which would ruin this style.

Great smooth carmely, roasty finish. Good drinkability that one would not guess from the sheer blackness (which is not pitch black but the darkest of dark brown)

3.66/5  rDev 0%

Enjoyed at Barcade Jersey City, NJ 9/15/2011. Reviewed from memory

A - Dark, almost black, with a seriously thick and creamy head. Reminded me of Guinness (it is a Irish Dry Stout after all). Good retention since it was poured on nitro and lacing.

S - Truly not a lot of nose to this but you can pick up small tones of coffee and malt. It even smells dry.

T - Rich, smooth sort of toasted malts. Very thick and enjoyable. Dryish, I wouldnt really define it as all that dry but its a good expression of the style.

M - Fantastic. Once again stouts on nitro never seem to dissapoint. Thick, rich, creamy, just all over the palate.

O - Cant complain. Good Irish dry stout. Honestly havent had many but Guinness but this one doesnt dissapoint. I enjoy it more than Guinness. Well done Victory.

4.23/5  rDev +15.6%

I have this at home on tap

The appearance:is very dark almost pitch black with an offwhite head.

Smell: is of of burnt coffee and some chocolate

Taste: is bitter chocolate and coffee almost sierra nevada like.

Mouthfeel was a bit thin to me but this is supposed to be a nitro beer and I have it on Co2 which tastes fine by the way.

Drinkability: is through the roof , this is a fine tasting stout falling somwhere between Guinness and Sierra Nevada but has the luxury of a low ABV which send the drinkability soaring.

Great Job by Victory I would buy another barrell anytime.

4.16/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Had at Binny's in the South Loop. Nitro-tap into a tulip pint. About 40-45° on serving, and warmed slightly (a very acceptable thing for this beer.)

A // Nice, bright frothy head that emerges over the cascading nitrogenated beer. A dark body with highlights of garnet at the edges, but overall looks dark enough brown-to-black where you won't see much of that

S // Mostly roasty, some malt sugar sweetness seems to be in the nose

M // Mostly dry roasted barley on the palate with those roasty notes reminiscent of coffee or, well, roasted grain, but has some balancing sweetness. British style hops (EKG a likely suspect) also hit the tongue (however lightly) and help to dry the finish.

M // Light, and very light at that. I find this acceptable for the style, but feel the body could be slightly more full. Slightly.

Drinkability & c. // I'd love to have a keg of this in my own home on nitro, I really would. Have two with lunch and three with dinner. I really wanted more after the first one. And this light alcohol, nice flavored beer brings to the table what so few American brewers ever manage to make. I hope to see plenty of session ales* follow the example it sets here.

*note for nitpickers, this is indeed less than 4% and I do mean I'd like to see more <4%abv beers like this.

3.79/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Goes down so smooth like chocolate milk. Isn't going to knock your socks off but a solid Irish dry stout.

3.98/5  rDev +8.7%

Just had this one at Tyler's Taproom in Durham, NC on a rainy, blustery night. It was the featured beer at Pint Night, so I got to keep the glass. It was pre-poured because of the high demand, so I didn't get to see it settle out.

Appearance: A thick, one finger head that had the appearance of light brown neoprene sat on top of the inky black liquid. The bubbles in the head were so fine that I'm thinking it was poured from a nitrogen tap. There wasn't enough light for me to see any carbonation.

Smell: Very faint roasted coffee aroma to my nose, with maybe a little cocoa thrown in.

Taste: I was expecting something more like Guinness, but it was milder than most of the stouts I've had. I think this is truer to this particular style. It was not bitter, which allowed the subtle roasted malt character to shine through. Not even a hint of alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Somewhat chewy, with a little bit of carbonation, and oh-so-smooth as it rolls across the tongue.

Drinkability: With the low alcohol and the low bitterness, this could definitely be a session beer, especially on a rainy, blustery evening!

4.66/5  rDev +27.3%

A: Amazing Deep Black Irish Stout with a Thick White Head

S: Slight Malt Smell, burnt malt smell

T: Slightly sweet, with a dry finish

M: Amzing Full Body, Fills every space in your mouth

D: Easy Drinking, low alcohol

My vote for the best Irish Stout, even better than the original from Ireland!!

4.28/5  rDev +16.9%

Arrived black as pitch with a full, creamy summit. Some solid lacing remained as the beer disappeared rather quickly.

Not a ton to smell here, definitely the roasted character of the malt.

Tastes like a dry stout should: full but dry. None of the chewiness you'd expect in the big stouts, but again, that's as it should be.

This is a solid session stout. Good enough to stand up on its own but easy to enjoy with anything.

I liked it.

3.67/5  rDev +0.3%

Had on tap at Rustico, in Alexandria, VA. Poured into a pint glass. Opaque and black, with an inch of creamy tan head. A fair bit of lacing remained through the course of the pint. Didn't get much in the way of aromas, but the taste was pleasant enough - dry and roasty. Reminiscent of Guinness, but a tad drier. I'd drink it again.

4.53/5  rDev +23.8%

Nitro-tap at Taco Mac - Newnan, GA.

This is a session stout all the way. Nice to have such from Victory with out the usual extra hop profile. Dark, beautiful pour - settled into a classic creamy nitro head. Great aroma of roast grains, hint of coffee and cocoa. Taste of the same, slight sweetness, and all at 3.7%. Nice to have a stout with lunch and not feel wiped out afterwards. Very drinkable, wish I could find this more often.

2.4/5  rDev -34.4%

Guiness is the first thing that comes to mind.. It may be a good representation of the style, but its a style that is a waste of time IMHO. I was dissapointed, and chugged this one down very quickly so I could move on to beers that have 3 times the flavor, and alcohol

2.76/5  rDev -24.6%

I actually had the bartender check to make sure there wasn't anything wrong with the tap or keg. He did and said "Can't notice anything wrong, just a bummer beer." His words, but I'll stand by them. This beer is nearly flavorless. Poured inky black with a healthy light-brown head that held all the flavor. Sipping through the head I got hints of a semblance of roasted, nutty malt. From there on it tastes like watered-down Guinness. This beer is thin, watery, boring and offensive for those reasons. Not sure what niche Victory was going for with this one. It's not enjoyable for Beer Geeks at Beer Bars, it's not familiar enough for the lawnmower crowd, and who on earth would buy a six pack of water-Guinness for a fireside or front porch session? Truly "a bummer beer." Drinks easy, though.

4.75/5  rDev +29.8%

Outstanding in every aspect. This dry stout coming in @ 3.7%ABV is everything I could ever want for this style. Very high whole hop flavor (EKG I assume) for style, without the typical roasted malt bitterness normally present. I can't say enough about this offering from Victory. They are my darling East Coast Brewery, and they should be yours too!

4.63/5  rDev +26.5%

My go-to session beer whenever I visit Victory - Donnybrook never disappoints. Low ABV doesn't mean no taste - it has a roasty flavor that doesn't cross over into smokiness. Decent mouthfeel and consistently good flavor. Sadly, needs nitro so I can't take home my growler filled with this.

Donnybrook Stout from Victory Brewing Company