Microbrew Invitational

Style: Baltic Porter

Added by akorsak on 01-05-2008

Reviews: 539 | Ratings: 926
4.26/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to gwong for the chance to try this incredible beer.

A- Poured from a growler into a pint glass. Pours a dark brown or black with a thick 1/2 inch dense tan head.

S- I feel like a broken record in my reviews but this beer had a light nose. Some slight notes of coffee and roast malts.

T- Very strong roasted malts with definite porter characteristics. I have always thought of porters as somewhat chalky and this fits that. I get notes of chocolate and coffee. I also get slight notes of dark currants and raisins.

M- CARBONATION! I am amazed how much carbonation is in this beer. This could be because of the taps at Whole Foods I am not sure.

D- The upside to the carbonation is that it makes this 8.5% alcohol beer extremely drinkable. My first pint went right down. The second began to catch up with me but it is was still very drinkable. If you can get our hands on this beer grab a pint or growler or keg!!

3.37/5  rDev -12.9%

A: Chocolately brown pour, dk tan head. Foam dissipates rapidly, leaving light lace, moderate collar, moderate legs. Nice garnet highlights when backlit.

S: Earthy initial aroma - I originally thought yeast-related. Rich toasty & chocolately aromas with slight roasted notes. As it warms, the earthiness appears to be hop-related, and the underlying malt is clean. Some vinous alcohol notes appear with the warming.

T: A bit high on roast -- hits the tongue up front, and is the most prominent flavor. Missing the expected dark fruit, caramel, toffee -- chocolatey rather than complex malt. Fairly bitter and some earthy hop flavor showing through. Slight alcohol tang. Either bitterness or alcohol bite lingers in aftertaste.

M: Medium full body, medium carbonation. Alcohol warming is pleasant and fairly significant.

D: Smoooth but fairly heavy.

Overall: Fairly one-dimensional -- pleasant, but without the malt complexity that normally characterizes style. Roast is a little overwhelming -- needs a lighter touch.

3.88/5  rDev +0.3%

22oz bottle poured into Imperial Pint

A: Pours a dark brown with ruby highlights. A one forefinger tan head forms and remains well into the pint.

S: Aroma seems a little weak to me. Some light roasted malt aroma accompanied by dark fruit esters.

T: Smooth roasted malt flavor, when I took my first sip I got licorice in a big way, but as the beer warms it is far less prominent. Starts sweet (molasses I think) but roasted malt bitterness balances and provides some dryness.

M: Medium to medium-full. Well carbonated. Smooth with some alcohol warmth and drying finish.

D: Good brew, this one's been pretty hyped in our local area, and while I'm not blown away, I'm certainly not disappointed.

4.21/5  rDev +8.8%

Thanks to EGledhill for the chance to try this.

Pours a dark brown with ruby hues when held up to the light, good size head.

Smell is predominately roasted malt, stronger than normal hop aroma for a porter, something odd that I can't place.

Taste is very smooth and creamy, chocolate caramel and malt presence hits first, bit of an alcohol taste in the back but is mostly masked by the creaminess, some nuttiness as well as a slight bitterness.

3.88/5  rDev +0.3%

Poured from a growler filled at the Bowery Whole Foods in NYC.

A: Somewhere between dark brown and black with tiny bubbles in the glass - think Coca-Cola. There's a also a thin tan head that quickly dissipates after pouring.

S: Not a very strong nose but malts are detectable.

T: Malty with notes of chocolate and coffee.

M: Very crisp with enough carbonation to tickle the tongue's taste buds.

D: Very easy to sip and not so strong that you can't enjoy a few glasses in one sitting.

I've never had Heavyweight's Perkuno's Hammer but if this homage to it is any indication, I think I've missed out on a pretty good beer.

3.73/5  rDev -3.6%

I'm going to try a different kind of review for this beer and just do it stream of conscious: Forgetting the history, nice label. Resolution could be better. Bill should have seen that. 7:04 pm. This one will put me to sleep. Imperial pint glass. Thinnish brown caramel as seen through the stream of beer at the pour. Yeah, somewhat light in color in the glass as well. Nice creamy tan head. Excellent retention. Smells like an average dark-roasty stout. Kind of smokey in the flavor. Lots of fruit upfront. Brown sugar across the middle. Alcohol. Background notes of thin black coffee. Somewhat similar to Perkuno's but not nearly as rich. Smooth, but also a touch raspy with alcohol. Bitterness is as I remember Tom's. Balanced. I'd like more malt though. Surprising medium body. Perhaps a bit too much zest on the tongue as well - but the carb's OK, I guess it's just lacking body. Dark fruits... is it that burnt currant I'm looking for? Yes, a little. Also bitter, sticky prune skin. Again, smokey or deeply ashen-roast in the finish. It seems something's lacking across the middle. Head retention is average - it's high alcohol so that's expected. Nice rings of thin lace at the outset. Decent spots and splashes. A ring of orange and ruby can be seen peeking through the foam at the surface along the glass. Hmmm, a kind of a burnt chestnut in the aftertaste... like that acrid note that you smell on the streets of Manhattan in late November and December. I'm not feeling like I want to finish this first glass. There's not enough malt to balance the alcohol. The fruit note is nice though. Lacks body, malt balance, complexity.

4.13/5  rDev +6.7%

On draught at Zot in Philadelphia. I was excited to find this upon stopping in for a night of all-you-can-eat mussels 'round the corner at Zot. I dearly miss Heavyweight - especially the mighty Perkuno's Hammer - so I had been anxious to sample Tom Baker's work with Victory.

A pint arrived in front of me, not so dark as to be completely black, but not at all transparent. Pillowy tan head nearly an inch thick, with minimal etched lacing as the glass emptied. Carbonation leaves a slight tingle on the palate but finishes smooth. Much sweeter than I remember the Hammer being, and a touch more estery up front...sour, raspberry-like fruitiness. Cocoa is very evident, and the malt profile somewhat overshadows the mild, lingering bitterness in the finish. Alcohol hides itself well, moreso than I remember from its predecesor. All in all a very tasty beer - another excellent brew from Victory, and worth seeking out - but also in my opinion not a dead-on clone of the Hammer.

4.05/5  rDev +4.7%

Pours a mahogany-brown color that is translucent at the edges. A large bubbled beige head forms and then fades to a thin ring. The aroma is of chocolate and molasses and is somewhat reserved. The taste is chocolate and roasted malt with some lingering sweetness and molasses. The mouthfeel is light and pleasant, though a bit thinner than I had expected. The 8.5% ABV of Baltic Thunder is very well-masked. I didn’t detect any alcohol burn.

4.45/5  rDev +15%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Had this little gem on a lazy Friday. Nice to see a Victory beer in a 22oz. bomber.

Appearence: Pours a deep brown with a nice two-finger tan head. Maybe a little thinner than a lot of porters.

Smell: Beutiful bouquet of chocolate and caramel. Also a great nutty aroma in the nose. Very pleasing and certianly not overpowering.

Taste: Very easy going down. Again the nut hits you first, followed by the chocolate and caramel. Really an exquisite flavor. I'm very glad that Victory got their hands on this recipe from Heavyweight. It is pretty darn close to the Perkuno's Hammer. Great all around!! Nothing bad to say here. Just as I remembered.

Mouthfeel: This is a medium-bodied beer. Not nearly as chewy as some other Baltic porters and that's fine with me. Definitely easy to handle from first sip to last. Which leads me to...

Drinkability: Had two bombers in an hour and a half sitting. That should say it all. Although not a session beer, it's definitely easy to have a few.

Again, thanks to my friends at Victory for ressurecting this recipe for year-round sale. It was truly a pleasure!

4.45/5  rDev +15%

On tap at the Blind Tiger for their Victory/Heavyweight/Baltic Thunder event.
Into a tulip it pours an opaque black as far as I could see. The place was dimly lit and crowded so I didn't have a chance to get a great eyeful of the stuff, but I got a good enough look. Some deep tan head forms with no lacing.
Smells pretty enticing even though it was on the cooler side. Think good quality, sweetened, iced coffee.
Over the lips and past the gums...
I can't help but think along the lines of Storm King Lite. Quite a similar set of characteristics going on (again with the good, sweetened, iced coffee stuff) but much lighter and dare I say, creamier.
The relative lightness of this brew makes the drinkability of Baltic Thunder pretty damned dangerous. I often don't look to session richer, darker brews but I don't think I'd have any sort of problem making a night out of this guy.
I'm liking this on tap. I hope I see bottles soon and that the bottles match up to this batch.
Go Scandinavian power!

3.92/5  rDev +1.3%

I had this bottle after a bottle of Baltika 6, and HW Perkuno's Hammer...
Appears a near black, dark brown with mahogany tones on the outskirts of the beer when held to the light. A small beige head of fluff slowly fades into a mild cap. Scattered spots of lacing are left around the glass.
Smell is of obvious cocoa, caramel, nuts, gentle smoke, with a hint of coffee...some green grass in there too with a touch of white grapes.
Taste is of the mentioned aromas with some sweet chocolate milk coming to the forefront followed by some roasted espresso beans, cream, and grassy, florally hops that seem to be in the way of that chewy Baltic goodness that was there for the Baltika 6, and the Perkuno's.
Mouthfeel is medium-full bodied, creamy, softly carbonated, with a somewhat odd, herbal, semi-dry finish.
IMHO, just a close relative of Perkuno that isn't as attractive and doesn't have the charm, or personality. I've heard that this particular bottling was a bit of a mix-match of a few different batches that the brew house ran. Perhaps future bottles will be more to my liking...not that this is that bad but when lined up side by side with the other aforementioned Baltic Porters, this one fell short of the mark.

3.59/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Dark black body with a brown head that falls to a full brown patch.

Roasted malt,bitter hops and alcohol notes.

Chocolate,roasted malts and sourness taste.

A little more carbonation then I like but it was tasty.Little hard to drink with the high abv.

Needs to be cellered for a bit to become very drinkable.

4.25/5  rDev +9.8%

Pours black with an off white head.

Pepper, smoke, chocolate, some coffee, maple,

Sweet start with caramel, chocolate,fig and prune flavors. The middle has more dried fruity flavors with a roasted edge. The finish has some residual sweetness with lots of flowers and pepper. Not a harsh flavor to be detected. Very nice.

So smooth and silky with a little carbonation bite to keep things interesting.

Very interesting brew, I am not sure how it compares to the original due to my being on the other side of the country, but this is very flavorful and smooth. Highly recommended.

3.98/5  rDev +2.8%

My first reveiw!

Anywho, here goes...

So I cracked open the Thunder last night and I thought it was quite tasty. Much milder than I thought it would be… little tastes of maple sugar, caramel and chocolate throughout. Mild nose and I thought a pretty clean finish for a “porter” – I drank the first ½ pint out of the fridge (my patience stinks once the bottle is out) and finished the rest of it at just under room temp – I think a little warmer is the way to go.

Very drinkable and enjoyable.

4.35/5  rDev +12.4%

I had a pint of this on draft at the Drafting Room - Exton, PA
A - Deep Brown almost black w/ ruby highlights and a thin tan head.

S - Deep malty odors that are roasty but only gently and a caramel note w/ light nutty and a slight lactic creamy cocoa smell. There is a slight floral hop aroma, but only if I inhale deeply and a subtle tinge of alcohol.

M & T - Dark malt w/ smooth milky chocolate feel w/ a hint of nuttiness. A light dry tinge w/ grainy notes and slightly boozy at room temperature. The texture and flavor is creamy smooth w/ moderate carbonation and a medium boy the creaminess lasts well into the finish. Rich and full of everything a Baltic Porter should have. The maltiness is subtle and this is a very balanced beer.

D - I remember loving Perkuno's hammer, but bummed that the only place nearby that carried it was 45 min away back then. I enjoyed the revival immensely. Kudos to Victory for bringing this gem back and to Heavyweight for allowing them to keep it alive. A great beer, nowhere near the flavor of an 8.5% beer, very nuanced and well blended. It gives credit to Victory for allowing nature to take its course lagering the big beauty. I was jazzed to try the reborn Perkuno's and found it to live up the memory.

3.86/5  rDev -0.3%

Victory- Baltic Thunder

On tap at Exton- Drafting Room

A- Dark cola brown with a ruby red tinge. A thick foamy head with good retention.
S- Cocoa powder, molasses, licorice, dark cherry.
T- Cocoa, vanilla, molasses, figs, dates, soda-like corn syrup and a licorice finish.
M- Sweet up front with a mild dry body. Alc. well hidden. Not as bold as I was expecting!

Overall- Good, not great. Definitely recommended though!

4.18/5  rDev +8%

A: Dark Brown with lots of ruby on the edges, Large head that settles slowly to a nice collar and nice clinging to the glass after every sip.

S: Roasted malts and an earthiness. There are some hop notes as well.

T: Smoky and rosted sweet dark malts then earthy dustiness not unlike biting into navy beans and some toffee and espresso.

M: As full as a lager gets and clean and crisp with gentle small bubbles.

D: Since this is my second 22oz. I guees this will be a go to beer for me (especially at $5 a bottle.)

4.82/5  rDev +24.5%

Enjoyed on-tap at the brewpub.
Served as a very dark brown colored beer with moderate off-white puffy head.
Smell is very nice, with strong notes of dark fruit(painins, dates, plums) abounding. There is also a good presence of roasted malt.
Taste is truly extraordinary. The raoseted malt and the dark fruits combine pertectly. The taste sensation and smoothness is difficult to decribe.
Leaves a great taste in the mouth.
Way too drinkable at 8.5%. I'm glad I bought a case to take home.

3.71/5  rDev -4.1%

On tap at The Drafting House (Exton, PA) release party. Had this back-to-back with a Heavyweight Perkuno Hammer from 2006

Pours a thin black with ruby red highlights, light carbonation. Very little head that faded quickly and left no lacing at all

I really had to work hard to get the smell of this guy. Not very pungent at all. Smells of chocolate, caramel and fruit. I couldn't quite pin down the fruit, it was either blueberry or cherry.

Very free and light on the tongue. Big semi-sweet chocolate palate with roasted and pale malt backbone. A hint of dates and/or prunes. The fruit (cherry or blueberry) was there in the taste as well.

This was very light on the tongue, it danced a bit as it faded.

A very good beer to chill out with for a little while.

Overall though, not that impressed. I don't know if it was me or the beer. With all of the press and hype this beer was getting, it really didn't live up to it. It was good, but it definitely didn't wow me. I'm gonna grab a bomber when I see them on the shelves, see how the flavors and scents change with some time in the bottle.

Baltic Thunder from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown