Baltic Thunder - Victory Brewing Company

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Baltic Porter |  8.50% ABV

Beer added by: akorsak on 01-05-2008

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Baltic Thunder Alström Bros
3.75/5  rDev -2.8%

Victory has come a long way with their beers. When I opened the bottle there was a definite, delicious, smokey aroma. When pouring into a glass, it's color was a deep, dark, brown with a nice darker thick head that quickly dwindled to nothing after a few minutes. I tasted hints of fruits, but was mostly a roasted malty flavor. The alcohol percentage of this beer is 8.5% which was surprising because it didn't at all have a taste that would have indicated this. It was a very smooth and filling beer. Overall, while this wouldn't be something I would seek out, it was a beer that I did enjoy but would not be at the top of my list of Porters.

4.06/5  rDev +5.2%

A – Deep, ruby mahogany and black-berry juice. Gorgeous color - remarkable when held up to direct sunlight. Off-white head sits low, but the color alone scored this a 5 for me.

S – Cranberry juice, prunes, toffee and black tea leaves. A really interesting combination. It’s definitely not what I’m used to, but I dig it.

T – Sweet, fruity opening with plum and tart cranberry. Coffee builds around the fruit and keeps it from spiraling into a confection. Soft malt backend with an oaky dryness, which now that the profile has uncluttered a bit, I think might have been contributing to the cranberry note up front.

M – Mildly tart/bitter finish with a residual dark fruit sweetness. Medium/light body.

O – Touch sweet. Would pair well with spicy dry rubbed ribs.

3.7/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

taste- roasted malts, chocolate notes, nutty toffee flavors, bitterness and residual sugar in the finish

color- chestnut brown

clarity- pours clear but is opaque in the glass

smell- wood, malt, wet socks, baby powder in the finish

body- hoppy bite at the front of the mouth, lean mouthfeel, medium weight and length finish

appearance- craziest carbonation i've ever seen. imagine the top of the beer divided into four equal sections in the shape of a four leaf clover with two of the opposing leaves rotating in one direction and the other two in the other direction...looked like a satellite image of a huricane...wtf?!? once the freakshow ended, the dirty carbonation was nowhere to be found with no lacing in the glass

overall impression- was a bit let down with this beer, hoping it would be a unique and strong interpretation of the style...a little light weight and uninspired

notes and comments- label says enjoy by january 7, 2012

beer spy- bottle barn, santa rosa ca, 3/24/11, $4.99, 22oz

glassware: tulip

3.65/5  rDev -5.4%

Served on-tap at the La Jolla Brewhouse in CA. The beer was poured in a pint glass, and it presents a darkened amber coloring, brown in the middle, with a thin, filmy head. Slight chocolate and coffee nose, with some dark cherry notes. The flavor is a bit cherry and a bit coffee, and the bitter and the sweet balance pretty well. It tastes a little bit like Cherry Coke. The body is light, but syrupy at same time. Dark caramel and coffee on the aftertaste with a mid-length linger to the finish.

A: Very dark brown and murky in color with almost no head. There was a bit of a head at first, but it disappeared pretty quickly.

S: Roasted malts, caramel, toffee and brown sugar.

T: A quick hit of coffee bitterness, then a lot of roasted malt flavor with some good caramel and toffee sweetness. Mouthfeel was a little thin, but I got used to it and it seemed to thicken up a bit as the beer warmed.

4.15/5  rDev +7.5%

Notes, as usual, are a little old but good.

This is a dark brown beer, very dark and thick without quite reaching black and with a touch of opaqueness and reddish tinges in the light. The light brown head is just about one finger high with good retention and a good amount of sticky lacing left behind.
This is strongly malt-backed, as expected, with some coffee grounds, barley, some bitter chocolate, and just a hint of sweetness of caramel and something like dates. A roasted note, nearly charcoal mixed in with grains, lingers.
A bit of chocolate, both milky sweet and dark bitter, are first on the tongue. Following are coffee grounds mixed with caramel and tart cherry, and behind that is a bit of nuttiness and alcohol.
This has a very nice feel, thick, rich and robust in a big, full body with lots of smoothness and just the right amount of carbonation.
Being a bigger beer, this is easier to drink than one might expect for the style and the ABV, which I attribute to it being, while not lacking in body, not overly filling, and with a flavor easy to swallow.

4.25/5  rDev +10.1%

Got this with my Groupon at my local Beer Nutz. Priced at a typical 5.99 means I got this bad boy for 3 buckz!

A - From the look of the bottle expected dark but poured a see through dark brown with a half inch of head. Looks kinda like a Dopple bock than a Porter.

S - Nothing offensive here. Alcohol smells well masked and really the only thing I am getting is soft coffee, chocolate, and toasted grain. Pleasant.

T - Wow it drinks amazing for almost 9 percent. I would assume if I didn't read it here it would be around the typical 6 or maybe even 7 percent range. Flavors start off with a soft toasted malt, bit of chocolate which amazingly gets better as it warms, mild underlining coffee and finishes rather sweet and with caramel and toffee that never really gets cloying. Mild taste overall but surprisingly complex!

M - Light to medium on my end! Alcohol is only noticeable after consumed.

Overall wow I can't believe how awesome this beer is! Great flavors subtle but many and the overall great price. Worth picking up if you like well masked high ABV porters. May have to go back and grab a second...

4.37/5  rDev +13.2%

A-dark brown, a lot of bubbles, some floaties. has a thin tan head that reminds me of soda.

S-smells like creamy chocolate. a bit malty as well. medium strength

T-wow i like this a lot. comes in with good grains and coffee/chocolate malts. the ending has a bit more coffee to it. the after-taste is really thick and good with chocolate and fresh ground coffee. this one just goes down so smoothly.

M-has a carbonation that reminds me of a soda float with a good creamy finish

D-well i drank this for awhile before seeing the ABV and I could not believe my eyes. this honestly drinks like a 4% beer. i am so amazed with how drinkable this is. it is definitely filling but wow so good. the tastes just become more and more complex as well.

3.91/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - a dark purple/redish color, pretty unique as I was expecting brown/black. not much head though; pours to a thin cm of head which dissipates quickly.

S - This beer had me wondering if my nose was working (or wondering if I shouldn't have tasted it first out of excitement/expectation). there isnt much of an aroma at all, not until I cover my glass with my hand, stick my nose in the crack and inhale deeply do I get a nice sweet malty maybe fruity aroma. very nice, but hard to find.

T - fantastic! sweet, matly, a bit of alcohol. there is certainly a nice complexity to this beer but I'm having trouble putting my finger on any particular flavor.

M - clean and pretty smooth, a bit sticky.

O - Overall I like this beer very much, I would certainly buy it again and may be a favorite porter for me.

3.87/5  rDev +0.3%

My first real experience with this style.

Appearance is a bit above average, but the smell is better. Sweet malt dominates, toffee and chocolate. Roasty-ness comes through as well, but in the background. Dark fruits mixed in as well.

Taste is soft and lightly sweet malt, watery coffee, cherry. Some bitter hop presence balances things out. Finish brings out the background roasty-ness. Feels nice in the mouth. Heat from the alcohol builds up after several sips. Definitely a sipper.

3.18/5  rDev -17.6%

Poured into a DFH Snifter

A - Ruby brown pour with a fizzy, one finger, two-toned head (medium brown and toasted marshmallow). Head dissipates rapidly and leaves very little behind...almost makes me think I cleaned my glass wrong (but I didn't). Lacing minimal.

S - Malty nose has bits of brown sugar, molasses, caramel, and something of a somewhat spicy quality

T&M - Big caramel and dark roasted malt hit with a defined sweetness. Hops are on the lighter side, as they should be, and bring a bit of balance with an earthy, herbal and somewhat peppery bit. Alcohol is well hidden, with just a touch of solvency in the finish, with a lingering, almost sticky finish. Seems a bit thin...lighter medium body

D - Honestly, I think I was expecting a bit more from this one. It feels very "minimal" to me, and the solvency seemed to build over the course of the drink. Sweetness also seemed to build over time...not a bad beer by any stretch, but one I'm not likely to revisit

3.82/5  rDev -1%

Pours dark dark ruddy brown and clear with a minimal head. The smell is quite nice, reminds me of winter with some alcohol warmth, roastiness, caramel, molasses molasses molasses. Tastes similar to its smell, it is sweet but not syrupy, with hints of black cherry, something of a thinner body, bubbly as opposed to frothy, with a dark malt bitterness to it. It is fairly easy to drink and it warms the belly but it would nice nice with a little more thickness. A nice cold weather brew. Would buy again.

4.22/5  rDev +9.3%

I have to start off saying, this bottle is a month past the "expiration date" (1/27/11) but I figured thats more of a CYA/Bottle Date kind of thing. BA says Baltic Porters can be cellared, and a Victory rep said the age should have a positive effect on it. I would like to try a younger version to compare.

Appearance: Dark reddish brown, very clear. Minimal head, no lacing.

Smell: Light roasted coffee, hints of roasted malty goodness, hints of smokiness.

Taste: Light roasted coffee, roasted malt, some malty sweetness. Some smokiness, some toffee notes, some dark chocolate. Some bitterness, but only really enough to keep it balanced.

Mouthfeel: Very light carbonation, feels appropriate. Somewhat thick.

Drinkability: Goes down easy, hides the abv. Enjoyable.

Overall: Quite good, very complex. It seems like all of the flavors have married well. I wish there were more Baltic Porters available so I can compare and see how this falls within the style.

3.93/5  rDev +1.8%

Huge thanks to ChrisPro for sending this out in Blind BIF #4. Served in a Hill Farmstead wine glass.

Pours a very dark brown color with a moderate off-white head that sticks around for a bit and comes back up with a good swirl. The nose brings forward a good amount of roast along with a bit of dark fruit. Mild chocolate there as well. Interesting. Taste brings forward quite a bit of dark fruits along with a hint of molasses. I would guess that there was some Special B used in this. Quite tasty and the yeast is bringing a nice presence. A touch of chocolate and roast as well. Medium body with low-ish levels of carbonation. Drinks really quite well. A touch of booze in the finish; I really like this beer. Drinks quite well and figuring out the style is a bit difficult.

4.29/5  rDev +11.1%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint.

Pours a dark reddish brown with very little head and average lacing.

Smells of sweet roasted malt, caramel, toffee, chocolate, and coffee.

Taste is sweeter than I expected. Very pleasant, well balanced mild flavors. All of the aformentioned smells are there in the flavor, with sweet chocolate standing out the most. Some slight fruitiness in the middle and a little bit of bittering and alcohol in the finish.

Mouthfeel is slightly carbonated and semi-viscous/chewy. Right on point.

Drinkability is good. Everything about this is good, but its a little filling, though it may just be my stomach at the moment.

Excellent.

3.78/5  rDev -2.1%

16oz bottle poured into an ale glass

A-Two finger head that dissipated quickly, leaving very little lacing. Dark brown with a slight red hue to it.

S-Toffee and coffee dominate. Has a small hint of tart cherry licorice after the toffee/coffee smell.

T-The coffee/toffee taste are right there dominating your palate. Very good. Slight alcohol taste, very minimal. Can't tell its 8.5% ABV though.

M-Smooth with little carbonation. Very low viscosity, flows right over the tongue.

D-High drinkability for a porter. Could drink a couple of these through out the night. My dad who does not know that much about beer said that it was a very drinkable beer and hes right!

3.75/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

22 oz bottle poured into perfect pint. Stamped with an enjoy by 01/07/12 freshness date, so I'm guessing this is pretty fresh.

Pours a dark brown with hints of red. Thin head quickly dissipates and leaves behind very little lacing.

Smells of roasted malt, smokiness and chocolate.

Tastes roasty, sweet, little alcohol on the finish.

Mouthfeel is lightly carbonated, smooth.

Drinkability is quite high for such a high ABV. Goes down smooth, almost too smooth.

4.04/5  rDev +4.7%

Don't remember when I picked this bad boy up, but glad I did. 22oz bottle poured into an oversized snifter glass during #snowmageddon 2011. A ridiculous winter blizzard calls for a beer like this.

Dark brown/ruby appearance with a thin layer of tannish-head. Vanishes to form a thin ring around the glass in a minute or two.

The smell of this brew is outstanding, definitely true to the Baltic porter style. An heavy amount of smoke and sweetness pairs with a slight tone of dark fruits. I'll say I'm not a huge fan of smokey beers, but this aroma is stellar.

The taste of Baltic Thunder is a mix of smokey, chocolatey and toffee. The smokey aroma mentioned before doesn't dominate the taste, thank god. A tinge of candied fruit dances around the tongue mid swallow, but again doesn't dominate the overall flavor.

Mouthfeel is lightly carbonated, medium to full body. Just the right consistency. A lip-smacking chewyness invites you to keep drinking.

It's 8.5%abv is masked nicely. Not sure I'd have more than 2 at a time, but the alcohol is just not persistent with this one. As far as Baltic porters go, this one is a winner in my book.

3.87/5  rDev +0.3%

Tried at a tasting in a sample glass.

A- Deep dark brown with reddish hints, creamy tan head that fades fast and leaves little rings of lace.

S- Chocolate and coffee balanced well with hint of earthy hops and licorice notes.

T- Malty, porter taste with cocoa and coffee notes. Hint of licorice.Slight mineral notes.

M- Medium bodied, a little watery for a porter

D- Easy to drink, but nothing stood out

4.45/5  rDev +15.3%

I brought this beer home from Capital Ale house last night in a growler - poured into a Victory tulip glass (how fitting)..

Although my experience with pouring from a growler is limited to this one occasion, I did manage to get some good head on this beer with moderate lacing. This beer smells incredible! A lot of sweet malts and maybe some brown sugar notes in there which I love and the taste backs it up. When I was drinking this brew I forgot that I was having a porter for a minute so I had to take into account this deviation from the style when reviewing. The beer is sweet and malty, almost like a big brown ale so that was a little misleading, however I loved the beer.

This beer is amazing on the mouth and under the tongue, and VERY drinkable for it's ABV. I had about 22oz of this beer within about 15 minutes and I usually never do that, it was just that dern delicious.

3.97/5  rDev +2.8%

Poured into a large mug (full bomber in a single pour).

Pours a cola color with a touch of red, making a mahogany-lie color.

Surprisingly, the first thing that hit me in the aroma was vanilla. A little bit of nuttiness as well, with a slight sense of alcohol.

Taste was pretty nice. Lots of roasted malts, with a dark-roast coffee bitterness. The sweetness comes in the form of a little bit of vanilla and a bit of toffee, both mild in comparison to the coffee.

Mouthfeel is nearly perfect for the flavors. Just a bit of stickiness, but mostly clean. The coffee bitterness goes fairly quickly, which is a nice quality.

Drinkability is solid. The flavors are interesting yet mild.

This was my first experience with this style; I didn't even realize there was a "Baltic" Porter style. Really nice style, though. Sweet, complex porter flavors but with a lager cleanliness to the finish.

A fine, serviceable Baltic-type porter. I actually attended the "premiere" of this beer at some peculiar, misguided, gothic-smeared, carved-out crater of a "beer bar" in the Tropicana in AC, NJ - look up the spot if you want. No one was there...

I'll admit that it, for better or worse, adheres remarkably close to the description of the style outlined in the BJCP guidelines (http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style12.php#1c) - minus the dark, dried-fruit prominence and licorice/molasses characteristics.

I mostly get mildly coffee(nutty)-roasty, chocolate malt dominating the taste and a clean, smooth ale/lager hybrid feel. Comes across primarily as a porter, but with a moderately light, almost Dunkel bent to the experience. Hops are subdued in aroma and overall taste - the soft bitterness likely derived from the dark malts.

This is a decent drinking beer, for sure. The 8.5 is hardly noticeable and, therefore, this can be enjoyed in mass quantity.

3.5/5  rDev -9.3%

A: Pours a columbian coffee brown brown with a heaping portion of raspberry syrup and in the light the red shines through as does the light... this is a rather clear beer. A very light tan head tops it off and has poor retention. I will say oddly it seems to be sticking to the glass rather well (ie good lacing).

S: Some mocha qualities though they are rather played down. Perhaps a minor fruity note as well... Once again I'm going with raspberry, perhaps milk chocolate covered.

T: Ok so this is sort of a weird brew. Seemingly subtle and then flavors sort of develop late. Milk chocolate, and a subtle boysenberry comes to mind. All of this is followed by some boozy hoppy bitterness. This beer is a great example of why we don't always use the tip of our tongue to taste sweetness. It's flavors effect the mid and back palate of ones mouth and argue if you... simply not the front.

M: light onset yet heavy finish

D: um... a little boozy and sweet for me.. this is lower than avg.

4.2/5  rDev +8.8%

When I visiting friends in Tallin, Estonia in the late '90's I remember how easily the Estonians made winter seem; jackets unzipped, mini-skirts & high heels slushing through the late winter's dirty black snow. Farmer's markets in near freezing conditions. Life goes on and this is just how it is when you live in a cool temperate climate. That hardened, unblinking look in people's eyes; This coldness is nothing compared the unbearable frozen world from which we have just thawed. It made me appreciate the wind on my cheeks; an affirmation of Life, freedom.

This bottle of Victory - Baltic Porter brings me back to that time; bus trips through Latvia and Lithuinia, friendly chats in ancient stone carved Estonian bars over Irish coffees, Baltic porters & lagers. The sense of human kindness (and alcohol) warming any cold-front or downtrodden spirit fortunate (or unfortunate) enough to cross it's path. Discovering family in forms of temporary friendships, bonds of energy wrapped up in moments, unforgettable and only once.

With these memories resurfaced I pour the dark reddish brown liquid into my glass. A thin head arrives, as a greeting, then quickly disappears.

The distinct smell of a Fluffernutter sandwich brings me back to being 8 and lunchtime at my Auntie Di's house; taking a break from swimming in the above-ground pool with my cousins, all sun burns & baby fat. Toasty marshmallow & crunchy peanut butter make strange, but interesting (and delicious) bed fellows.

The taste here is all toffee and weak coffee (aka: hot brown). Yummy and easy-to-drink with a slight natural sweetness and solid roasted backbone. This would be quite session-able (and I wished I had another) if it wasn't hovering at 8.5% ABV. The high alcohol volume is well hidden and it is to blame for my ramblings.

Enjoy this on a cold night with a head full of memories.

3.69/5  rDev -4.4%

Appearance: Dark roasty brown with a thin head that dissipates fairly quickly. No visible carbonation.

Smell: Sweet, roasty malts, a slight hint of alcohol.

Taste: Lots of the roasty burnt flavour. Some bitter notes in the middle. Finishes slightly boozy and sweet.

Mouthfeel: Slight to moderate amounts of carbonation. Semi-medium body that is smooth and silky.

Drinkability: A very solid beer. The hop presence is rather strong but it is balanced pretty well with the roasty flavour profile. A fuller body may be nice.

Baltic Thunder from Victory Brewing Company