1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Baltic Thunder - Victory Brewing Company

Baltic ThunderBaltic Thunder

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Baltic Porter |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: akorsak on 01-05-2008)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Baltic Thunder Alström Bros
Ratings: 856 | Reviews: 533 | Show All Ratings:
IrishRedRock

4.13/5  rDev +6.7%

On draught at Zot in Philadelphia. I was excited to find this upon stopping in for a night of all-you-can-eat mussels 'round the corner at Zot. I dearly miss Heavyweight - especially the mighty Perkuno's Hammer - so I had been anxious to sample Tom Baker's work with Victory.

A pint arrived in front of me, not so dark as to be completely black, but not at all transparent. Pillowy tan head nearly an inch thick, with minimal etched lacing as the glass emptied. Carbonation leaves a slight tingle on the palate but finishes smooth. Much sweeter than I remember the Hammer being, and a touch more estery up front...sour, raspberry-like fruitiness. Cocoa is very evident, and the malt profile somewhat overshadows the mild, lingering bitterness in the finish. Alcohol hides itself well, moreso than I remember from its predecesor. All in all a very tasty beer - another excellent brew from Victory, and worth seeking out - but also in my opinion not a dead-on clone of the Hammer.

01-23-2008 00:19:31 | More by IrishRedRock
davidt

4.05/5  rDev +4.7%

Pours a mahogany-brown color that is translucent at the edges. A large bubbled beige head forms and then fades to a thin ring. The aroma is of chocolate and molasses and is somewhat reserved. The taste is chocolate and roasted malt with some lingering sweetness and molasses. The mouthfeel is light and pleasant, though a bit thinner than I had expected. The 8.5% ABV of Baltic Thunder is very well-masked. I didn’t detect any alcohol burn.

01-22-2008 01:32:38 | More by davidt
ziggy13

4.45/5  rDev +15%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Had this little gem on a lazy Friday. Nice to see a Victory beer in a 22oz. bomber.

Appearence: Pours a deep brown with a nice two-finger tan head. Maybe a little thinner than a lot of porters.

Smell: Beutiful bouquet of chocolate and caramel. Also a great nutty aroma in the nose. Very pleasing and certianly not overpowering.

Taste: Very easy going down. Again the nut hits you first, followed by the chocolate and caramel. Really an exquisite flavor. I'm very glad that Victory got their hands on this recipe from Heavyweight. It is pretty darn close to the Perkuno's Hammer. Great all around!! Nothing bad to say here. Just as I remembered.

Mouthfeel: This is a medium-bodied beer. Not nearly as chewy as some other Baltic porters and that's fine with me. Definitely easy to handle from first sip to last. Which leads me to...

Drinkability: Had two bombers in an hour and a half sitting. That should say it all. Although not a session beer, it's definitely easy to have a few.

Again, thanks to my friends at Victory for ressurecting this recipe for year-round sale. It was truly a pleasure!

01-20-2008 04:20:32 | More by ziggy13
ommegangpbr

4.47/5  rDev +15.5%

On tap at the Blind Tiger for their Victory/Heavyweight/Baltic Thunder event.
Into a tulip it pours an opaque black as far as I could see. The place was dimly lit and crowded so I didn't have a chance to get a great eyeful of the stuff, but I got a good enough look. Some deep tan head forms with no lacing.
Smells pretty enticing even though it was on the cooler side. Think good quality, sweetened, iced coffee.
Over the lips and past the gums...
I can't help but think along the lines of Storm King Lite. Quite a similar set of characteristics going on (again with the good, sweetened, iced coffee stuff) but much lighter and dare I say, creamier.
The relative lightness of this brew makes the drinkability of Baltic Thunder pretty damned dangerous. I often don't look to session richer, darker brews but I don't think I'd have any sort of problem making a night out of this guy.
I'm liking this on tap. I hope I see bottles soon and that the bottles match up to this batch.
Go Scandinavian power!

01-17-2008 05:34:23 | More by ommegangpbr
weeare138

3.88/5  rDev +0.3%

I had this bottle after a bottle of Baltika 6, and HW Perkuno's Hammer...
Appears a near black, dark brown with mahogany tones on the outskirts of the beer when held to the light. A small beige head of fluff slowly fades into a mild cap. Scattered spots of lacing are left around the glass.
Smell is of obvious cocoa, caramel, nuts, gentle smoke, with a hint of coffee...some green grass in there too with a touch of white grapes.
Taste is of the mentioned aromas with some sweet chocolate milk coming to the forefront followed by some roasted espresso beans, cream, and grassy, florally hops that seem to be in the way of that chewy Baltic goodness that was there for the Baltika 6, and the Perkuno's.
Mouthfeel is medium-full bodied, creamy, softly carbonated, with a somewhat odd, herbal, semi-dry finish.
IMHO, just a close relative of Perkuno that isn't as attractive and doesn't have the charm, or personality. I've heard that this particular bottling was a bit of a mix-match of a few different batches that the brew house ran. Perhaps future bottles will be more to my liking...not that this is that bad but when lined up side by side with the other aforementioned Baltic Porters, this one fell short of the mark.

01-16-2008 18:34:13 | More by weeare138
MmmIPA

3.58/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Dark black body with a brown head that falls to a full brown patch.

Roasted malt,bitter hops and alcohol notes.

Chocolate,roasted malts and sourness taste.

A little more carbonation then I like but it was tasty.Little hard to drink with the high abv.

Needs to be cellered for a bit to become very drinkable.

01-16-2008 00:51:12 | More by MmmIPA
bosco7

4.28/5  rDev +10.6%

Pours black with an off white head.

Pepper, smoke, chocolate, some coffee, maple,

Sweet start with caramel, chocolate,fig and prune flavors. The middle has more dried fruity flavors with a roasted edge. The finish has some residual sweetness with lots of flowers and pepper. Not a harsh flavor to be detected. Very nice.

So smooth and silky with a little carbonation bite to keep things interesting.

Very interesting brew, I am not sure how it compares to the original due to my being on the other side of the country, but this is very flavorful and smooth. Highly recommended.

01-14-2008 02:38:14 | More by bosco7
NelsonM

My first reveiw!

Anywho, here goes...

So I cracked open the Thunder last night and I thought it was quite tasty. Much milder than I thought it would be… little tastes of maple sugar, caramel and chocolate throughout. Mild nose and I thought a pretty clean finish for a “porter” – I drank the first ½ pint out of the fridge (my patience stinks once the bottle is out) and finished the rest of it at just under room temp – I think a little warmer is the way to go.

Very drinkable and enjoyable.

01-09-2008 17:33:56 | More by NelsonM
Slatetank

4.38/5  rDev +13.2%

I had a pint of this on draft at the Drafting Room - Exton, PA
A - Deep Brown almost black w/ ruby highlights and a thin tan head.

S - Deep malty odors that are roasty but only gently and a caramel note w/ light nutty and a slight lactic creamy cocoa smell. There is a slight floral hop aroma, but only if I inhale deeply and a subtle tinge of alcohol.

M & T - Dark malt w/ smooth milky chocolate feel w/ a hint of nuttiness. A light dry tinge w/ grainy notes and slightly boozy at room temperature. The texture and flavor is creamy smooth w/ moderate carbonation and a medium boy the creaminess lasts well into the finish. Rich and full of everything a Baltic Porter should have. The maltiness is subtle and this is a very balanced beer.

D - I remember loving Perkuno's hammer, but bummed that the only place nearby that carried it was 45 min away back then. I enjoyed the revival immensely. Kudos to Victory for bringing this gem back and to Heavyweight for allowing them to keep it alive. A great beer, nowhere near the flavor of an 8.5% beer, very nuanced and well blended. It gives credit to Victory for allowing nature to take its course lagering the big beauty. I was jazzed to try the reborn Perkuno's and found it to live up the memory.

01-07-2008 18:10:33 | More by Slatetank
NJpadreFan

3.88/5  rDev +0.3%

Victory- Baltic Thunder

On tap at Exton- Drafting Room

A- Dark cola brown with a ruby red tinge. A thick foamy head with good retention.
S- Cocoa powder, molasses, licorice, dark cherry.
T- Cocoa, vanilla, molasses, figs, dates, soda-like corn syrup and a licorice finish.
M- Sweet up front with a mild dry body. Alc. well hidden. Not as bold as I was expecting!

Overall- Good, not great. Definitely recommended though!

01-06-2008 01:52:39 | More by NJpadreFan
Biscuit033

4.18/5  rDev +8%

A: Dark Brown with lots of ruby on the edges, Large head that settles slowly to a nice collar and nice clinging to the glass after every sip.

S: Roasted malts and an earthiness. There are some hop notes as well.

T: Smoky and rosted sweet dark malts then earthy dustiness not unlike biting into navy beans and some toffee and espresso.

M: As full as a lager gets and clean and crisp with gentle small bubbles.

D: Since this is my second 22oz. I guees this will be a go to beer for me (especially at $5 a bottle.)

01-06-2008 00:29:19 | More by Biscuit033
tgbljb

4.85/5  rDev +25.3%

Enjoyed on-tap at the brewpub.
Served as a very dark brown colored beer with moderate off-white puffy head.
Smell is very nice, with strong notes of dark fruit(painins, dates, plums) abounding. There is also a good presence of roasted malt.
Taste is truly extraordinary. The raoseted malt and the dark fruits combine pertectly. The taste sensation and smoothness is difficult to decribe.
Leaves a great taste in the mouth.
Way too drinkable at 8.5%. I'm glad I bought a case to take home.

01-06-2008 00:18:48 | More by tgbljb
ColForbinBC

3.75/5  rDev -3.1%

On tap at The Drafting House (Exton, PA) release party. Had this back-to-back with a Heavyweight Perkuno Hammer from 2006

Pours a thin black with ruby red highlights, light carbonation. Very little head that faded quickly and left no lacing at all

I really had to work hard to get the smell of this guy. Not very pungent at all. Smells of chocolate, caramel and fruit. I couldn't quite pin down the fruit, it was either blueberry or cherry.

Very free and light on the tongue. Big semi-sweet chocolate palate with roasted and pale malt backbone. A hint of dates and/or prunes. The fruit (cherry or blueberry) was there in the taste as well.

This was very light on the tongue, it danced a bit as it faded.

A very good beer to chill out with for a little while.

Overall though, not that impressed. I don't know if it was me or the beer. With all of the press and hype this beer was getting, it really didn't live up to it. It was good, but it definitely didn't wow me. I'm gonna grab a bomber when I see them on the shelves, see how the flavors and scents change with some time in the bottle.

01-05-2008 21:24:50 | More by ColForbinBC