Baltic Thunder - Victory Brewing Company

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Baltic Porter |  8.50% ABV

Beer added by: akorsak on 01-05-2008

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Baltic Thunder Alström Bros
Ratings: 911 | Reviews: 534
4.45/5  rDev +15.3%

I brought this beer home from Capital Ale house last night in a growler - poured into a Victory tulip glass (how fitting)..

Although my experience with pouring from a growler is limited to this one occasion, I did manage to get some good head on this beer with moderate lacing. This beer smells incredible! A lot of sweet malts and maybe some brown sugar notes in there which I love and the taste backs it up. When I was drinking this brew I forgot that I was having a porter for a minute so I had to take into account this deviation from the style when reviewing. The beer is sweet and malty, almost like a big brown ale so that was a little misleading, however I loved the beer.

This beer is amazing on the mouth and under the tongue, and VERY drinkable for it's ABV. I had about 22oz of this beer within about 15 minutes and I usually never do that, it was just that dern delicious.

4.45/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Had this little gem on a lazy Friday. Nice to see a Victory beer in a 22oz. bomber.

Appearence: Pours a deep brown with a nice two-finger tan head. Maybe a little thinner than a lot of porters.

Smell: Beutiful bouquet of chocolate and caramel. Also a great nutty aroma in the nose. Very pleasing and certianly not overpowering.

Taste: Very easy going down. Again the nut hits you first, followed by the chocolate and caramel. Really an exquisite flavor. I'm very glad that Victory got their hands on this recipe from Heavyweight. It is pretty darn close to the Perkuno's Hammer. Great all around!! Nothing bad to say here. Just as I remembered.

Mouthfeel: This is a medium-bodied beer. Not nearly as chewy as some other Baltic porters and that's fine with me. Definitely easy to handle from first sip to last. Which leads me to...

Drinkability: Had two bombers in an hour and a half sitting. That should say it all. Although not a session beer, it's definitely easy to have a few.

Again, thanks to my friends at Victory for ressurecting this recipe for year-round sale. It was truly a pleasure!

4.45/5  rDev +15.3%

On tap at the Blind Tiger for their Victory/Heavyweight/Baltic Thunder event.
Into a tulip it pours an opaque black as far as I could see. The place was dimly lit and crowded so I didn't have a chance to get a great eyeful of the stuff, but I got a good enough look. Some deep tan head forms with no lacing.
Smells pretty enticing even though it was on the cooler side. Think good quality, sweetened, iced coffee.
Over the lips and past the gums...
I can't help but think along the lines of Storm King Lite. Quite a similar set of characteristics going on (again with the good, sweetened, iced coffee stuff) but much lighter and dare I say, creamier.
The relative lightness of this brew makes the drinkability of Baltic Thunder pretty damned dangerous. I often don't look to session richer, darker brews but I don't think I'd have any sort of problem making a night out of this guy.
I'm liking this on tap. I hope I see bottles soon and that the bottles match up to this batch.
Go Scandinavian power!

4.43/5  rDev +14.8%

Thanks to Kegatron for the trade.

This porter pours black with a beautiful blood ruby tint in it and a nice fluffy off white head.

Smell is of roasted malt and lager.

The taste starts with a nice roasted malt flavor and then transitions into a good style signature slight creaminess. Malt flavors ride the whole way through. There is some very slight coffee notes in the middle and on the finish. slight sweetness on the finish as well.

The mouthfeel is a tiny bit thin, I would like it to be a little thicker for the style, but it does make it very refreshing, so I won't knock it too hard in this category. Carbonation is very evident.

Drinkability is incredibly good on this brew. Very refreshing for the style while maintaining alot of flavor. The 8.5% is NOWHERE to be found. I would have guessed 6%.

I have one bottle of Perkuno's Hammer in the cellar. If it is better (like most seem to think it is) it must be wonderful. Ill post my comparison in that review. Great beer, well worth the trade. Thanks again to Heath.

4.42/5  rDev +14.5%

This poured a very dark brown-black with a foamy tan head and excellent lacing. Hints of red when held up to the light.
Toffee, caramel, chocolate, cofee and even vanilla come across in the nose. Very complex and pleasant.
The taste was bunrt coffee, molasses, caramel and roasted malt. Chocolate and even dark fruits come across as it warms.
The feel was slightly sweeter than I expected based on the bitter coffee taste/smell. The dark fruit and caraml malts balanced the bitter acrid coffee feel nicely. Very well-balanced.
Overall a very good BP and another great brew from Victory.

4.4/5  rDev +14%

Bomber into a pint glass.

Appearance: A deep dark amber, and to me surprise it's not opaque, though I suppose most in the style aren't. I'm thinking more the lines of a RIS. Nice creamy lacing sticking to the sides in an off-white.

Smell: A lot of malty and balanced sweetness, from rich dark chocolate to light toffee, caramel malt, light mocha, and some fruit and citrus from the hops with some strawberry and a bit of sour cherry.

Taste: Let it warm up to get the fullness of the flavors. It reminds me a bit of a heavier oatmeal stout, with the richness and sweetness there, and the more berry and fruit of an Imperial Stout, and with the lighter body, it's an amazing combination. Highly drinkable, with no alcohol burn or overdone alcohol characteristics, with some earthiness, maple and vanilla, light toffee and coffee, and again the fruit flavors of lighter berries. The lack of cloying heaviness, which can happen to me after some bombers of RIS, is nice here, and allows the long finish to continue to make its mark without suffocating the palate. And finally, the lighter citrus hop oil becomes coating, adding both, I think, the citrus flavors and the fruit on top of the darker chocolate and roasted malt flavors.

Mouthfeel: Wonderful and velvety to the last drop, perfectly balanced carbonation. I don't know how this could not be a perfect score.

Drinkability: It's been a while since I've had Perkuno's Hammer. However, I'm not judging anything based on that in the first place; I just wanted to make it clear. But the fact that I still have a 4-pack of Perkuno's in the cellar makes me happy to eventually compare the two. But for around $5 a bomber, it's beyond extremely worth it for such a flavorful brew. Sure, there are better examples of the style out there, but I can certainly that say that I'd make this a winter staple if they ever decide to do 6-packs. Not to mention, honestly, how does this go down so easily? It seems almost impossible that the ABV is almost at 9%. Bravo, Victory, for putting your own spin on the resurrected recipe.

4.4/5  rDev +14%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Been waiting for this one for some time. It finally came in to the bottle shop yesterday.

Pours a dark brown with a hint of ruby. There was hardly any head on this one. Smelled very sweet. There was a hint of roasted malts as well as licorice and molasses. Taste started out very sweet. Caramel coming through and very well balanced with roasted flavors and hops. The flavors play off of one another which makes this brew very pleasing to the palette. The wait was worth it. I could drink more than one of these at one sitting. Even though its 8.5% there is harldy no alcohol present in the smell or taste. I will definitely be getting some more of this.

4.4/5  rDev +14%

Baltic Thunder pours a clear red black with a foamy brownish head that fades quickly. The aroma is chocolatey dark malt with a hint of caramel and some dry, metallic hops. The flavor starts with dark toasted malt flavor with a nice balance of astringency and bitterness from the hops. Sweetness and dark caramel come through in the finish with just a touch of fruitiness. The beer is smooth and the alcohol is almost completely hidden.

4.4/5  rDev +14%

A- Pours dark red with about a pinky finger worth of head.

S- Malty with some chocolate.

T- Starts sweet with some chocolate, then the hops kick in to balance everything out. The alcohol isn't very noticeable for being 8+%.

M- Feels good, not too watery and not too thick, perfect.

D- Very drinkable. Wouldn't think there was that much alcohol in this until you finish the bomber and stand up. Plus, I got this 22 for $3.49, excellent! Definitely worth checking out, and I'm glad to see you can get good beer without paying $10+ for a bomber. Definitely work getting!

4.4/5  rDev +14%

I was able to get this fine Victory beer on-tap on 2/29/08 at High Street's Leap Day Victory promotion event. They served it to me in a Victory labeled standard American pint glass.

It poured a deep dark mahagony brown that had a few dark ruby red highlights along the edges. It had a foamy 2 inch head of tan colored foam that had good retention. When it receded all the way, it only left behind a handful of tan colored foamy rings along the edge and just a few spots of tan lace around the glass. It had a strong cocoa based aroma to it. Behind the cocoa was some sweet caramel, dark roasted malts, a tiny pinch of roasted hops, a dab of sweet alcohol, and the slightest touch of rust toward the end. I thought it had a very interesting taste to it. In the beginning it just had a heavy taste of cocoa powder and rust. Somewhere in the middle the taste had completely changed. The cocoa powder had turned itself into dark chocolate and the rust had left the taste all together. After the cocoa powder had transformed into dark chocolate, more flavors emerged from the background. What came out was dark roasted malts, dark fruits, roasted coffee beans, crispy roasted hops, and the slightest touch of alcohol. It you couldn't tell already, it was a full bodied beer that had a delicious full flavored thick aftertaste of dark chocolate, roasted hops, and a pich of alcohol. It was a great beer to have on-tap, but I'm sure it's the same story if you get it from a bottle.

4.38/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to beerbeing for giving me a chance to try this beer.

two fingers of foam disappears quickly leaving a thin film in a rich tan color. black color with some brown around the edges.

chocolate and toffee just a hint if hops

hoppy bitterness, black malt chocolate toffee coffee this is big beer

good mouthfeel not too heavy of sticky

Very drinkable for such big beer even on a warm night

Very good beer, im a big fan too bad it's not available in minnesota

4.38/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22oz bomber: This one pours an opaque dark brown. there was a decent tan head on it, but it dropped away rather quickly. It leaves no lacing. Really rich aroma. Chocolate and maple are predominate. The taste is quite complex. Hints of chocolate, roastiness, coffee, some dark fruits. There are some hops in there that balance out the sweetness nicely. This is a really good brew.

4.37/5  rDev +13.2%

A-dark brown, a lot of bubbles, some floaties. has a thin tan head that reminds me of soda.

S-smells like creamy chocolate. a bit malty as well. medium strength

T-wow i like this a lot. comes in with good grains and coffee/chocolate malts. the ending has a bit more coffee to it. the after-taste is really thick and good with chocolate and fresh ground coffee. this one just goes down so smoothly.

M-has a carbonation that reminds me of a soda float with a good creamy finish

D-well i drank this for awhile before seeing the ABV and I could not believe my eyes. this honestly drinks like a 4% beer. i am so amazed with how drinkable this is. it is definitely filling but wow so good. the tastes just become more and more complex as well.

4.36/5  rDev +13%

Finally had the opportunity to buy a bomber of Baltic Thunder this week. There's a lot of hype around this stuff. The Thunder is apparently a reincarnation of Heavyweight's Perkuno's Hammer which I've never had the opportunity to try.

I poured into a Samuel Smith pint. Inky, opaque black with ruby highlights that appear when backlit. Beautiful whitish head, a full finger in depth, with plenty of staying power.

The nose is soft, reminiscent of toasted chocolate malt and dark bread. No detectable alcohol.

Sweet at first tongue contact and then a sharp acidic tang, like that of pure dark chocolate. A pleasant and dry roasted malt character. Whispers of dark fruits. Still not noticing the alcohol.

I would most certainly have another. It's a great beer to take your time with, to blow an afternoon with. If I had to describe BT with one word, I'd choose "smooth." It's not a startling, in-your-backyard thunder but rather a distant low-rumbling after the storm thunder. This is the smooth jazz of beers.

4.35/5  rDev +12.7%

Poured right from my cellar at a temp of 50 degrees. Pours with a healthy head & jet black. Smells mostly of roasted malt. It has a lovely roasted malty flavor but it has a sweetness to it. This is a very smooth & drinkable brew which is dangerous with its ABV. I am thrilled that this beer has resurfaced & it will be a part of my drinking rotation from here on out.

Cheers.

4.35/5  rDev +12.7%

22 oz bottle into a Stone IRS tulip.

A: It pours black with red highlights and a finger and a half of khaki head.

S: Cocoa, caramel, oats, and lactic sugar.

T: It is very dessert-like and identical to the nose. It is like a strong, lagered oatmeal stout.

M: The body is medium-thick and silky smooth with low carbonation.

O: This is terrific; it is delicious and a hell of a bargain at $5.

4.35/5  rDev +12.7%

A: Poured a rich reddish-brown with a 1+ finger micro bubbly tan head that quickly dissipated.

S: light caramel malt, dried cherries, and a rich nuttiness.

T: sweet toffee and caramel, dried fruit (plums, raisins) with a dry oaky woodiness. There were some dark cherries, and a good carbonation presence in the middle of the drink. For the finish there was rum raisin grist, a rich sweet roasted caramel and toffee notes, along with a spicy alcohol bite. A slightly roasted caramel flavor and rich nuttiness definitely ends this beer on a very good note. The substition of black eyed peas for roman beans is not noticeable as the rich malt palate truly makes this beer stand out as a winner.

M: medium with some slickness with a nice carbonation bite on the swallow. Leaves a rich, dark roasted caramel and toffee lacing on the tongue.

D: A very clean brewed and flavored beer with a very good drinkability and a very good example per style. Highly recommended.

4.35/5  rDev +12.7%

Poured from a bomber into a Duvel tulip. Dark but with red hues and light passes through the beer as I near halfway through. Tan head with big bubbles faded and left lacing which eventually disappears. Still a nice looking pour. I'm really excited about this beer. Even the bottle is cool.

The smell is of chocolate, dark fruit and even some wild cherry. Taste is rich in malty flavors with a complementary spiciness from the alcohol and some welcome bitterness on the finish. There's a light smokiness and some fruitiness in there as well. The alcohol contributes to the flavor rather than detract like some higher ABV ales. Not too much of anything here, a really balanced flavor. Less of the burnt coffee taste than some other porters, but the alcohol and hops serve that purpose and keep the sweetness in check. This should be a taste that almost all porter lovers will enjoy to some degree. I find it delicious. It was a perfect complement to my wife's homemade Southern fried chicken.

The mouthfeel is right on the money, kind of medium to rich and full, and not a bit of wateriness. Light carbonation is appropriate for the style. Oh goodness is this drinkable! I had some before dinner, during and now after with a pipe of aged Virginia/perique. No problem at all finishing the bomber all by my lonesome.

I am really impressed with Baltic Thunder, as I have been with all the Victory beers I've had. This one is right up there with all my favorite porters and Baltic porters. I'll be buying more that's for sure.

4.35/5  rDev +12.7%

The beer pours a dark brown/black color with a thick frothy tan head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is good. It has a robust black and roasted malt scent that's dry, but with some sweetness. The taste is great. It has a silky smooth flavor that goes down easy and finishes a bit on the sweet side. It hides the 8.5%abv well and provides a complex array of malts. It's complex and quite rich. There are hints of roasted malt as well as chocolate and crystal malts. Damn, this is one smooth drinker. The mouthfeel is awesome. It is a full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. I've been waiting for the release of this beer for some time now. It definately lives up to the hype.

4.35/5  rDev +12.7%

Purchased a bomber at Jason's Liquors, Ellicott City, MD.

A- Pours very dark brown with a reddish tint, almost opaque, light brown head, which quickly dissipates.

S- Somewhat malty, sweet, with a hint of burnt coffee.

T- Again coffee and sweet malt, alcohol burn, but finishes dry.

M- Fully bodied, mildly carbonated, smooth on the tongue.

D- Too much alcohol taste to have many, but a good example of the style all the same.

I had a pint of this on draft at the Drafting Room - Exton, PA
A - Deep Brown almost black w/ ruby highlights and a thin tan head.

S - Deep malty odors that are roasty but only gently and a caramel note w/ light nutty and a slight lactic creamy cocoa smell. There is a slight floral hop aroma, but only if I inhale deeply and a subtle tinge of alcohol.

M & T - Dark malt w/ smooth milky chocolate feel w/ a hint of nuttiness. A light dry tinge w/ grainy notes and slightly boozy at room temperature. The texture and flavor is creamy smooth w/ moderate carbonation and a medium boy the creaminess lasts well into the finish. Rich and full of everything a Baltic Porter should have. The maltiness is subtle and this is a very balanced beer.

D - I remember loving Perkuno's hammer, but bummed that the only place nearby that carried it was 45 min away back then. I enjoyed the revival immensely. Kudos to Victory for bringing this gem back and to Heavyweight for allowing them to keep it alive. A great beer, nowhere near the flavor of an 8.5% beer, very nuanced and well blended. It gives credit to Victory for allowing nature to take its course lagering the big beauty. I was jazzed to try the reborn Perkuno's and found it to live up the memory.

4.34/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours an extremely dark brown, almost black, with ruby highlights when held to the light. A two-finger tan head fades slowly to a thin cap. No lacing.

Smell is dark chocolate, cherries, figs, lightly roasted coffee beans, brown sugar, and a hint of vanilla.

Taste begins with chocolate covered cherries, toffee and some vanilla. Prunes and burnt sugar lead to a strong bitter coffee finish.

Medium-bodied mouthfeel. It feels a little thin for the style.

Great drinkability. Very tasty and very smooth. Wish I had a couple more of these.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a dark mahogony with a good sized off cream color head. The head does subside into a thin ring and collection of suds in the middle of the glass.

Smells of toffee and big on the malt. But not huge.

The big surprise here is the taste. A malty sweet bitterness of toffe and a hint of caramelfill the mouth and mostly subside with your swallow. Alcohol virtually un-noticable. A lingering bitterness with a hint of sweetness in the background actually entices for another mouthful.

Thick enough to drink on a cooler day and thin enough to drink in the shade on a spring afternoon. This is one I could drink the bomber. I wouldn't want to drink another. Mostly cause of this temp. outside. In the fall, I would have to say I'd have a few of these.

Bottle says enjoy by Dec. 31st, 2008.

I disagree. Enjoy by sometime on or near Dec. 31st, 2011

4.32/5  rDev +11.9%

Beer appears dark brown with ruby highlights when held up to the sunlight. The head died rather quickly and was off-white. The beer smells very malty and chocolatey with tiny wisps of alcohol in the aroma as well. The taste is big and full of bitter chocolate and cola. It is heavy and flavorful on the palate, rich and creamy. This beer is a delicious dark brew.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The bottle's label pays homage to the Perkuno's Hammer it is replacing by using a God-of-Thunder "Thor" hammer motif. The former comic book reader in me smiles.

Appearance: Pours thin and a deep dark brown, almost black. The thin, tan head fades quickly, but has some nice viscosity and lacing as I drink.

Smell: Strong, toasted malt smell with hints of chocolate.

Taste: Initially hits the palate as full-bodied and slightly sweet. Chocolatey malt flavor lingers after each sip. Hints of fruit (oranges? raisins?) peek out here and there. Surprisingly, the alcohol and strength isn't as noticeable as I would have thought with a name like "Baltic Thunder/Perkuno's Hammer". All the write-ups I read on this beer's predecessor made it out to be a real tail-kicker, which it isn't...at least not overtly. Although it doesn't taste "strong", this is a beer that will sneak up on you if you're not careful.

Mouthfeel: Tingles the front of the tongue and coats the mouth well, leaving a very nice warm feeling after each sip. I wish it were snowing out right now.

Drinkability/Final Thoughts: Another winner from Victory! Overall a very well balanced, smooth, surprisingly easy-to-drink beer. Not nearly as monstrous as it's made out to be. I could easily enjoy 2-3 bottles over the course of a winter's evening with a couple good cigars.

Baltic Thunder from Victory Brewing Company