Baltic Thunder - Victory Brewing Company

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Baltic Porter |  8.50% ABV

Beer added by: akorsak on 01-05-2008

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Baltic Thunder Alström Bros
3.2/5  rDev -17.3%

Served cool in a standard pint.

Pours light, not much head, color was medium dark brown, mahogany, leaves negligible lacing.

Aroma is full of sweet maltiness, toastiness, honey malt and toffee. Strong woody earthiness--hops or yeast?

Flavor is malty and sweet with some dark fruitiness, not notably chocolately or roasty at all. Like concentrated Old Speckled Hen.

Goes down easy enough, not as heavy as I expected. No alcohol warmth or flavor. (449 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -17.8%

Consumed November 9th, 2011 at Boho, Hollywood, CA.

Beer is a very deep but crystal clear brown with a smooth one finger off white head.

Aromas of nuts and dashes of smoke.

Flavor is mostly a somewhat sweet, nutty smoked malt affair with traces of vanilla. What's lacking is the promised chocolate and/or coffee flavors. Perhaps the keg had been on too long? Some bitterness on finish, but fairly minimal.

Mouthfeel is slightly thicker than standard for a porter; again, falling somewhat short of my expectations.

I finished the pint faster than I thought I would, but I am not in a big hurry to have another pull off this keg. Would like to try it again sometime, though. (677 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -17.8%

Poured into a DFH Snifter

A - Ruby brown pour with a fizzy, one finger, two-toned head (medium brown and toasted marshmallow). Head dissipates rapidly and leaves very little behind...almost makes me think I cleaned my glass wrong (but I didn't). Lacing minimal.

S - Malty nose has bits of brown sugar, molasses, caramel, and something of a somewhat spicy quality

T&M - Big caramel and dark roasted malt hit with a defined sweetness. Hops are on the lighter side, as they should be, and bring a bit of balance with an earthy, herbal and somewhat peppery bit. Alcohol is well hidden, with just a touch of solvency in the finish, with a lingering, almost sticky finish. Seems a bit thin...lighter medium body

D - Honestly, I think I was expecting a bit more from this one. It feels very "minimal" to me, and the solvency seemed to build over the course of the drink. Sweetness also seemed to build over time...not a bad beer by any stretch, but one I'm not likely to revisit (975 characters)

3.17/5  rDev -18.1%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a pint glass; near-black with almost no head or lacing. The smell was near-sickeningly sweet, with raisin, overripe plum, dark chocolate, wood, and alcohol. Smells like an imbalanced dubbel or a decent Russian imp. stout. The flavor was dominated by syrupy-sweet chocolate-covered raisins soaked in alcohol, with an after-burn. There really isn't any qualities about this beer to call a 'porter' to mind; even the texture seemed a little off; more syrupy like an RIS rather than a creamy porter. I realize that this is supposed to be a hybrid style, but a hybrid usually exhibits qualities of the two styles in question, and this one doesn't. Thankfully I had some Hop Wallop on hand to bat clean-up. (731 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -18.3%

Bomber- pours a dark ruby with two finder beige head. Nose- sweet dark fruits, faint sweet malts. Taste- earthy, medium roast, stale sweetness. Light to medium body, roasty finsih. Nothing too exciting here, but drinkability isn't too bad. Not picking up the beans that have been added (285 characters)

3.14/5  rDev -18.9%

On-tap at Bocktown Beer and Grill

A nice beer, but I can't say I'm impressed. Maybe the hype just raised the expectations too high, but I rather think this beer just doesn't quite match the other baltics I've had.

At first I got a big, juicy sweet cherry flavor, followed by chocolate (chocolate covered cherries maybe). Then there was a little bit of toffee grains and a bit of alcohol. I also pulled some vegetal DMS aroma out of here and didn't get much of an aftertaste. Overall, I was disappointed, but this found it to be an agreeable beer. (548 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -19.6%

22 oz picked up in Buffalo a while ago.

Pours a clear dark reddish brown, quite nice held up to the light, very thick light tan head forms, drops some decent lacing on its way down, sticks to a solid layer and ring around the glass, nice retention. Smell is neat, caramel, dark fruits, raisins, light chocolate, very malty, cake, bit of vanilla, some floral, almost a light smokiness, aroma is subdued for its strength though. Taste is not too pleasant, a bit nutty, caramel, roast, bready, raisins, iron, a bit of floral and a light sourness in the finish, malty but really bland. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with light to medium carbonation, goes down easy for 8.5% but I was expecting a lot more considing how genius Perkuno's Hammer was, quite a let down by Victory. I was going to do a side by side with Perkuno but Baltic Thunder is not worthy of that. (858 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -19.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

I picked up a bottle of Victory's Baltic Thunder a couple weeks ago for $6.49 at The Lager Mill. I've been liking the Baltic Porter's lately and since I really liked the last bomber I got from Victory I decided to take a chance on this one, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, 2012 Vintage. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a snifter.

A- I like the label on this beer, it's well done and it has a cool look to it. It poured a darker brown color that took on some dark ruby hues when held to the light with two and a half fingers worth of tan head that quickly died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left a little bit of lacing behind. This beer looked ok, but the color was a little light for the style.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by a good amount of malts that are caramel and medium roasted and also impart some chocolate aromas. After that comes an earthy and grainy aroma followed by a familiar lager yeast aroma. The aroma was ok, but it wasn't as roasty and robust as most Baltic Porters, the yeast seemed to stick out a little too much also.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness along with a good amount of caramel and roasted malts that impart some grainy, caramel, chocolate, and some lighter roasted flavors. Up next comes an earthy flavor followed by some of the yeast that I picked up in the aroma. On the finish it had a lighter amount of bitterness with no trace of alcohol and it had a lightly roasted and sweet aftertaste. This was a pretty average tasting Baltic Porter, it wasn't as roasted and rich as it should, it tasted watered down.

M- Pretty smooth, a little creamy, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with a good amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was pretty average, it was going in the right direction but when it came to the body it was just too light and thin for the style.

Overall I wasn't too impressed with this beer and I thought it was an average at best example of the style, all the aspects of this beer seemed to be much lighter then they should be and it didn't come together the way that a good Baltic Porter should. This beer had ok drinkability, it was pretty smooth and on the lighter side, but the flavors just didn't hold my attention and one is enough for me, I wouldn't want any more than that. What I liked the most about this beer was price, if this was $10 I would be very disappointed, but I think it's priced reasonably. What I liked the least about this beer was how much lighter most of the aspects of this beer were compared to most Baltic Porters, it just seemed to be lacking in every aspect. I wouldn't buy this beer again, I would much rather have a Thirsty Trout Porter and it's a way better Baltic Porter and it costs less, I wouldn't recommend it to my friends. All in all this beer left me wanting more and I don't think it did the style justice. IT seems like Victory is pretty hit or miss for me and this was another miss, better luck next time guys. (3,093 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -19.9%

Was interested to see how this compared to Heavyweight's Perkunno's Hammer since the Hammer used to be one of my favorites (before the 2nd or 3rd revision anyway) and although this was not a bad beer, didn't live up to my expectations even though my scoring was compared to other baltic porters.

Nice thick mouthfeel but lacking that creaminess that the Hammer had, decent fruity flavors from the malt/yeast, but dark malt flavors were a bit one dimensional (carafa?). A bit unbalanced for my tastes since it was laden with sweet malt without having good balance from hops or alcohol which made it cloying after a half a pint. Couldn't finish the bomber, but saved the rest to make french onion soup. (701 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -19.9%

Poured from Bottle into Snifter glass.

Pours a deep brown/black, almost a dark cola, with a thick, fizzy tan colored head that quickly dissolves into a fine ring and head that remains atop the glass. The aroma is slight roasted malts, burnt toast and vanilla extract. Flavor is roasted malts upfront followed bitter chocolate, cocoa, more vanilla extract and finishes sweet and a little dry. It has a thin body with a great deal of carbonation. The vanilla extract feature in this beer is overly pronounced and the body is pretty thin. Besides those downfalls its not a bad beer and has some other tasty features but I think I may pass the next time I see this available. (672 characters)

3.09/5  rDev -20.2%

Pours a dark brown color with a two-finger head into my pint glass. Good presentation for the style.

Aroma is full of dark fruit and a slight hint of cocoa. Alcohol warmth seems to peek through as well. Maybe my nose is worn?

Taste is full of sweet malt, dark fruits and only a hint of cocoa. Seems rather dry. Can't really find many flavors I'd associate with this style.

Mouthfeel is full of lingering dark fruits and sweet malt. Not much else to go by. Seems rather off.

Eh, I've had better. By no means horrible but also, by no means the definition of the style. (572 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -20.4%

A: Rich chestnut brown on the verge of black.. thin tan head.. no lacing...

S: Roasted malts... mostly caramel.. a dash of chocolate.. not much else.

T: Bitter chocolateness paired with some sweet caramel malts... pretty balanced, but i couldn't find much to get behind and dive into.

M: Rather carbonated, medium bodied.. balanced from start to finish.

D: It was decent, but lacking the complexity of the more interesting baltic porters (441 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -20.4%

Been waiting to try this one for a while, didn't come in to the local bottle shop but a friend showed up with a bomber to split with me, so i finally got to try it. Very cool looking bottle.

Poured into a snifter, very dark with nice chocolate head that disappears very quickly, actually left a tiny bit of lace.

Smell was much less bold than i expected. It was an odd combination of roasted and bready malt smells. Not bad, but very unusual. I also am not sure what kind of a contribution the beans were making.

Taste is, again, very subdued. I was expecting a lot, but i was disappointed. Pretty similar to the smell. At least it wasn't an alcohol bomb. Very smooth. Pretty drinkable, but boring. I wouldn't refuse another, but i am going to stop looking for this one, especially since now i have the bottle. (813 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -20.9%

22 ounce bomber poured into a 20 ounce nonic.

As a longtime fan of Perkuno's Hammer I have been really excited to try this for a long time. Don't let me down Victory.

A - Pours out a nearly black dark brown. When held to light a tiny reddish tint is evident. The head fomrs nearly two fingers high but is rather fizzy and dissipates a bit.

S - A bit of a chocolate smell but pretty faint.

T - A very vinuous, fruity flavor. Some smokiness in there.

M - A tad thin and a little watery for the style. Too much carbonation.

D - Too sweet overall. Carbonation/watery feel make this one suffer.

Notes: I've got to think something was lost in translation here. The old feel of the Hammer, as well as the flavors, seem to be gone here. Oh well, R.I.P. Heavyweight. (764 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -21.2%

I poured this big beer into my tumbler at 50 degrees. The beer was really black with a dark head that did not last very long at all. The smell was of coffee and roasted nuts smelling also and sour slightly. The taste was kinda flat and had a harsh alcohol burn aftertaste. I will not buy again. (294 characters)

Poured this 22 oz. brown bottle into a Sam Adams glass. The body was clear of sediment and dark brown/black. There was one finger of khaki head.

Smell was steel and brown sugar.

Taste was roasted grain bitterness. Clean and not too sweet. However, the underlying sweetness lingers a while.

Mouthfeel was adequately zippy. Light to medium in body. (351 characters)

this one is not black enough, and not hopey enough for me, a bit to sweet for me to, ther porter is a far better brew, now for the good, this is better than any fizzy yellow lager hands down and the abv is nice, i would have anouther if it were given to me but i dont see myself to buy another one of theese (307 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -23.5%

A year or so ago this was the FIRST porter that I ever had. It introduced me to the world of porters and stouts. This brew will be forever associated with that for me.

A - a bit more light showing through than I usually like, but it has a very tight lasting head.

S - not bad but very mild. Not strong enough to add or detract from the brew.

T - malty with a hit of chocolate. Bitter after taste.

M - coats the whole mouth. Mild tingle on the back sides of the tongue and top of the throat.

D - I am in for one every now and then for history, but that is about it. (570 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -23.8%

Pours a pretty dark brown with garnet highlights. Just a quick film of head after the pour that goes down to nothing in a flash. Muted roast, maybe some black currant nuances. Just a touch of bandaides though. Maybe some marshmellows, roasted pumpenickle bread. But some medicinal flavors sour the atertaste. The palate is a little bitter and choppy. The alcohol breathes some warmth through the nose. A little hard to drink. (425 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -24.3%

This beer poured a dark coca cola colored body with a dark off-white head.

Nose is very nondescript and hard to pick up at first. Faint touches of dark malt with some earthy notes.

Taste is medium to full bodied with a strong roasted, over roasted, sitting around for a while, old coffee bean sort of flavor. A strong earthy hop bitterness and taste flows throughout and sort of sits off a bit with the malt. Dark chocolate, wet wood, damp cardboard, muted over toasted espresso, dark bread, black patent malts. A big alcohol gives it some warmth but never really fights with the other flavors. Ends with a lingering odd mix of flavors.

I'm not really crazy about this beer. It's decent and definitely drinkable, just feels very much out of balance. (752 characters)

2.92/5  rDev -24.5%

22oz Bomber with a "Enjoy by Dec 31, 08"

Poured into a tumbler with poor results. I swear it looked just like a Coke. Same light-cream colored fizzy little bubbled head, which vanished almost immediately. Smells like caramel and coffee with sweetness dominating. Tastes malty with caramel and toffee flavors and an light background tang that proves to be the most interesting component. The mouthfeel full-bodies and smooth finishing prickly. It seems flat but still has a corbonated feel.

I was looking forward to this beer and feel disappointed. I took this from a 60 degree cellar and only refrigerated for a half-hour. I think it should have been served a little colder, but I don't think it would have changed everything. I'm not against trying this one again, as I am usually happy with the Victory line on beers. (822 characters)

2.92/5  rDev -24.5%

Poured black with a huge three finger light tan head. Head diminished over a 5 minute period and left behind an average amount of lacing.

I got some off aromas in the nose. A little funky. It makes me wonder if I just got a bad bottle. Some chocolate and tar with a mild hop aroma.

Tasted somewhat malty with very little hop bitterness. The hop flavor seemed like an afterthought. I also got a lot of alcohol in the taste which was surprising because it didn't present in the nose.

Mouthfeel was light, almost watery. Lighter than normal for a porter. Finish was fairly long but not complex.

I love Victory. They make two of my favorite beers. This was a disappointment, I have to wonder if I just got a bad bottle. (721 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -25.6%

A: Dark brown and opague, nice head but quickly dissipated; little to no lacing.

S: Nice roasted malt aroma

T: Too sweet, not well balanced and out of style IMO.

M: sort of flat and not very satisfying

D: probaly won't go back for another due to my not liking the taste very much and lack of mouthfeel. (306 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -25.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Aprilluvsbeer hooked me up with this one as a bonus in a recent trade. thanks april!

22oz bottle. sampled may 28/08.

pours deep brown, not quite opaque, with a wisp of very fine tan head. the head disappears fast and leaves no lace.

aroma is nice. caramel, slightly sweet. fruity - cherry, date. whole wheat bread. alcohol. slightly toasty. bit of baltic character.

taste is ok. not what i expected, more bock than porter. just over medium bitterness level, which seems a bit high. no sign of roast. bit of toasted multi-grain bread. cracker. bittersweet chocolate. bit of smoke. big bock-like lager character. butterscotch. bit of fruit.

mouthfeel is ok. just over medium carbonation level, too much for a baltic in my eyes. medium body.

drinkability is nice. the alcohol is fairly well hidden, but the bitterness a bit high. malt profile is decent.

this one threw me a little. doesn't really smell or taste like any baltic i've ever had. carbonation is high. blindfolded i'd swear it was a decent doppelbock, but not even a great one. pretty disappointed in this one as i was really looking forward to it and it just didn't deliver. (1,141 characters)

2.87/5  rDev -25.8%

This beer describes itself as, "exhibiting the enticing, toffee roast of the British Porters...and the smoothing subtle fruit nuance of contemporary brews." I've never had a Baltic Porter, so I went into this beer with the expectation of tasting a porter.

Ap - Similar to Guinness, though not as silky in the head.

Sm - Malt sweetness mixed with a lesser amount of roasted malt. No hops.

Ta - Unbalanced. I started drinking this straight out of the fridge and the roasted malt character came through but it was tempered by residual malt sugars. It made it difficult to enjoy because I kept wanting the dry, bitter, roastiness of a porter and never quite got it. As it warmed, the roasted malt faded and the sweetness developed into a fruitiness. At about cellar temp, it was all fruit and very little roasted malt. I began to enjoy it more because I could focus more on this sweet aspect of the brew.

Overall - This beer stands somewhere in between a porter/stout and a scotch ale/wee heavy. This could be an excellent example of a Baltic Porter because I've never had any others. For me, it rates a little better than average, although it never quite satisfied my tastes. (1,176 characters)

Baltic Thunder from Victory Brewing Company