Baltic Thunder - Victory Brewing Company

Baltic ThunderBaltic Thunder

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Baltic Porter |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: akorsak on 01-05-2008)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Baltic Thunder Alström Bros
2.93/5  rDev -24.3%

This beer poured a dark coca cola colored body with a dark off-white head.

Nose is very nondescript and hard to pick up at first. Faint touches of dark malt with some earthy notes.

Taste is medium to full bodied with a strong roasted, over roasted, sitting around for a while, old coffee bean sort of flavor. A strong earthy hop bitterness and taste flows throughout and sort of sits off a bit with the malt. Dark chocolate, wet wood, damp cardboard, muted over toasted espresso, dark bread, black patent malts. A big alcohol gives it some warmth but never really fights with the other flavors. Ends with a lingering odd mix of flavors.

I'm not really crazy about this beer. It's decent and definitely drinkable, just feels very much out of balance.

2.93/5  rDev -24.3%

Poured black with a huge three finger light tan head. Head diminished over a 5 minute period and left behind an average amount of lacing.

I got some off aromas in the nose. A little funky. It makes me wonder if I just got a bad bottle. Some chocolate and tar with a mild hop aroma.

Tasted somewhat malty with very little hop bitterness. The hop flavor seemed like an afterthought. I also got a lot of alcohol in the taste which was surprising because it didn't present in the nose.

Mouthfeel was light, almost watery. Lighter than normal for a porter. Finish was fairly long but not complex.

I love Victory. They make two of my favorite beers. This was a disappointment, I have to wonder if I just got a bad bottle.

2.95/5  rDev -23.8%

Pours a pretty dark brown with garnet highlights. Just a quick film of head after the pour that goes down to nothing in a flash. Muted roast, maybe some black currant nuances. Just a touch of bandaides though. Maybe some marshmellows, roasted pumpenickle bread. But some medicinal flavors sour the atertaste. The palate is a little bitter and choppy. The alcohol breathes some warmth through the nose. A little hard to drink.

2.98/5  rDev -23%

A year or so ago this was the FIRST porter that I ever had. It introduced me to the world of porters and stouts. This brew will be forever associated with that for me.

A - a bit more light showing through than I usually like, but it has a very tight lasting head.

S - not bad but very mild. Not strong enough to add or detract from the brew.

T - malty with a hit of chocolate. Bitter after taste.

M - coats the whole mouth. Mild tingle on the back sides of the tongue and top of the throat.

D - I am in for one every now and then for history, but that is about it.

Poured this 22 oz. brown bottle into a Sam Adams glass. The body was clear of sediment and dark brown/black. There was one finger of khaki head.

Smell was steel and brown sugar.

Taste was roasted grain bitterness. Clean and not too sweet. However, the underlying sweetness lingers a while.

Mouthfeel was adequately zippy. Light to medium in body.

this one is not black enough, and not hopey enough for me, a bit to sweet for me to, ther porter is a far better brew, now for the good, this is better than any fizzy yellow lager hands down and the abv is nice, i would have anouther if it were given to me but i dont see myself to buy another one of theese

3.05/5  rDev -21.2%

22 ounce bomber poured into a 20 ounce nonic.

As a longtime fan of Perkuno's Hammer I have been really excited to try this for a long time. Don't let me down Victory.

A - Pours out a nearly black dark brown. When held to light a tiny reddish tint is evident. The head fomrs nearly two fingers high but is rather fizzy and dissipates a bit.

S - A bit of a chocolate smell but pretty faint.

T - A very vinuous, fruity flavor. Some smokiness in there.

M - A tad thin and a little watery for the style. Too much carbonation.

D - Too sweet overall. Carbonation/watery feel make this one suffer.

Notes: I've got to think something was lost in translation here. The old feel of the Hammer, as well as the flavors, seem to be gone here. Oh well, R.I.P. Heavyweight.

3.05/5  rDev -21.2%

Was interested to see how this compared to Heavyweight's Perkunno's Hammer since the Hammer used to be one of my favorites (before the 2nd or 3rd revision anyway) and although this was not a bad beer, didn't live up to my expectations even though my scoring was compared to other baltic porters.

Nice thick mouthfeel but lacking that creaminess that the Hammer had, decent fruity flavors from the malt/yeast, but dark malt flavors were a bit one dimensional (carafa?). A bit unbalanced for my tastes since it was laden with sweet malt without having good balance from hops or alcohol which made it cloying after a half a pint. Couldn't finish the bomber, but saved the rest to make french onion soup.

3.08/5  rDev -20.4%

Pours a dark brown color with a two-finger head into my pint glass. Good presentation for the style.

Aroma is full of dark fruit and a slight hint of cocoa. Alcohol warmth seems to peek through as well. Maybe my nose is worn?

Taste is full of sweet malt, dark fruits and only a hint of cocoa. Seems rather dry. Can't really find many flavors I'd associate with this style.

Mouthfeel is full of lingering dark fruits and sweet malt. Not much else to go by. Seems rather off.

Eh, I've had better. By no means horrible but also, by no means the definition of the style.

3.08/5  rDev -20.4%

A: Rich chestnut brown on the verge of black.. thin tan head.. no lacing...

S: Roasted malts... mostly caramel.. a dash of chocolate.. not much else.

T: Bitter chocolateness paired with some sweet caramel malts... pretty balanced, but i couldn't find much to get behind and dive into.

M: Rather carbonated, medium bodied.. balanced from start to finish.

D: It was decent, but lacking the complexity of the more interesting baltic porters

3.08/5  rDev -20.4%

Been waiting to try this one for a while, didn't come in to the local bottle shop but a friend showed up with a bomber to split with me, so i finally got to try it. Very cool looking bottle.

Poured into a snifter, very dark with nice chocolate head that disappears very quickly, actually left a tiny bit of lace.

Smell was much less bold than i expected. It was an odd combination of roasted and bready malt smells. Not bad, but very unusual. I also am not sure what kind of a contribution the beans were making.

Taste is, again, very subdued. I was expecting a lot, but i was disappointed. Pretty similar to the smell. At least it wasn't an alcohol bomb. Very smooth. Pretty drinkable, but boring. I wouldn't refuse another, but i am going to stop looking for this one, especially since now i have the bottle.

3.09/5  rDev -20.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

I picked up a bottle of Victory's Baltic Thunder a couple weeks ago for $6.49 at The Lager Mill. I've been liking the Baltic Porter's lately and since I really liked the last bomber I got from Victory I decided to take a chance on this one, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, 2012 Vintage. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a snifter.

A- I like the label on this beer, it's well done and it has a cool look to it. It poured a darker brown color that took on some dark ruby hues when held to the light with two and a half fingers worth of tan head that quickly died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left a little bit of lacing behind. This beer looked ok, but the color was a little light for the style.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by a good amount of malts that are caramel and medium roasted and also impart some chocolate aromas. After that comes an earthy and grainy aroma followed by a familiar lager yeast aroma. The aroma was ok, but it wasn't as roasty and robust as most Baltic Porters, the yeast seemed to stick out a little too much also.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness along with a good amount of caramel and roasted malts that impart some grainy, caramel, chocolate, and some lighter roasted flavors. Up next comes an earthy flavor followed by some of the yeast that I picked up in the aroma. On the finish it had a lighter amount of bitterness with no trace of alcohol and it had a lightly roasted and sweet aftertaste. This was a pretty average tasting Baltic Porter, it wasn't as roasted and rich as it should, it tasted watered down.

M- Pretty smooth, a little creamy, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with a good amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was pretty average, it was going in the right direction but when it came to the body it was just too light and thin for the style.

Overall I wasn't too impressed with this beer and I thought it was an average at best example of the style, all the aspects of this beer seemed to be much lighter then they should be and it didn't come together the way that a good Baltic Porter should. This beer had ok drinkability, it was pretty smooth and on the lighter side, but the flavors just didn't hold my attention and one is enough for me, I wouldn't want any more than that. What I liked the most about this beer was price, if this was $10 I would be very disappointed, but I think it's priced reasonably. What I liked the least about this beer was how much lighter most of the aspects of this beer were compared to most Baltic Porters, it just seemed to be lacking in every aspect. I wouldn't buy this beer again, I would much rather have a Thirsty Trout Porter and it's a way better Baltic Porter and it costs less, I wouldn't recommend it to my friends. All in all this beer left me wanting more and I don't think it did the style justice. IT seems like Victory is pretty hit or miss for me and this was another miss, better luck next time guys.

3.1/5  rDev -19.9%

22 oz picked up in Buffalo a while ago.

Pours a clear dark reddish brown, quite nice held up to the light, very thick light tan head forms, drops some decent lacing on its way down, sticks to a solid layer and ring around the glass, nice retention. Smell is neat, caramel, dark fruits, raisins, light chocolate, very malty, cake, bit of vanilla, some floral, almost a light smokiness, aroma is subdued for its strength though. Taste is not too pleasant, a bit nutty, caramel, roast, bready, raisins, iron, a bit of floral and a light sourness in the finish, malty but really bland. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with light to medium carbonation, goes down easy for 8.5% but I was expecting a lot more considing how genius Perkuno's Hammer was, quite a let down by Victory. I was going to do a side by side with Perkuno but Baltic Thunder is not worthy of that.

Baltic Thunder from Victory Brewing Company