Wild Devil - Victory Brewing Company

Wild DevilWild Devil

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Belgian IPA |  6.70% ABV

American IPA w/ Brettanomyces.

(Beer added by: Kadonny on 05-08-2008)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters

Oklahoma

12-01-2011 23:30:17 | More by ThirstyHerf
rolands6

Rhode Island

Doherty's East Avenue cafe in Pawtucket had one of just 2 kegs in Rhode Island and i was lucky enough to be there. This was a very interesting IPA. Smell is wheaty and hoppy. Not overpowering in the hops. Due to the yeast used it has a very wheaty flavor. Reminded me of the Victory Whirlwind Witbier hopped up. Light and easy to drink. Combines my 2 favorite styles wheat and ipa for a very drinkable beer.

06-25-2008 14:51:39 | More by rolands6

Matthew_Hamilton

06-21-2014 18:56:12 | More by Matthew_Hamilton
Avagadro

4.9/5  rDev +27.6%

A: pours copper in color with an absolutely ridiculous head that simply won't fade away. Wild Devil is hazy, and teeming with bubbles rising from the bottom of my tulip.

S: bouquet is pungent, with notes of lemon, wet hay, and blue cheese. Very complex and upfront.

T: this brew is quite dry, with heavy notes of lemon, limburger, and Amercian hops.

M: light body, tons of prickly carbonation, and a but of astringency.

D: This is obviously a take on Orval, and I couldn't be happier. The marriage of bitter hops and funky Brettanomyces is expressed beautifully in this one. Keep up the good work Victory.

04-12-2010 01:56:54 | More by Avagadro
Brad007

Vermont

4.88/5  rDev +27.1%

Pours a beautiful amber color with a thick, frothy head that fades to leave a bit of lacing. Absolutely gorgeous presentation in my fluted tulip.

Aroma is a strong whiff of floral, grassy hops mixed in with the characteristics of the belgian yeast. Very floral and spicy.

Taste is full of grassy hops mixed with the characteristics of the yeast. Spicy with a hint of citrus and plum as well.

Mouthfeel is full of lingering spice, hops and plum. Very nice. Alcohol is well-contained and as a result, this beer is far more drinkable than I feel it should be. Just a hint of peach rolls off the tongue in the mouthfeel.

Very nice for the style. Marvelous and certainly worth a try if you enjoy the style. Very easy to drink as well.

01-05-2010 00:33:15 | More by Brad007
treehugger02010

4.88/5  rDev +27.1%

I had a bottle of this at Gullifty's Restaurant in Rosemont, PA.
Appearance: The body is a clear red amber color. The head is huge, tan, with a great thick head and wonderful lacing.
Smell: The aroma is spargy with berry notes.
Taste: The flavors are pine, berry and clove.
Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is both smooth and crisp.
Drinkability: This is a very drinkable beer.
Don't drink and review.

04-03-2009 01:26:49 | More by treehugger02010
BeerNinja007

New Hampshire

4.83/5  rDev +25.8%

Corked and crowned 750mL bottle, $10.99 at Hoosick Beverages in Troy NY. Bottled on date: Jun 11 09, so it's just over a year old. I'm a little skeptical of this because of the brettanomyces and the high price. Served cold in a chilled pint glass.

I smell fruity strawberry as soon as the cork is popped. Barely started pouring into the glass and it overflowed with fizzy tan head- like 4" of foam on top of 2" of beer. It gradually settles as the bubbles come together, leaving large spaces and pockets in the cake, and chunks of billowy foam stuck to the glass. The brew itself is a slightly cloudy bright reddish-orange. Smell and taste are similar: fruity, a bit sweet, hoppy. Strawberry, tart cherry, pine, lemon rind, honey, sugar syrup, lavender, corriander, a bit of yeast, some spice, floral, herbal, earthy notes. Very complex, has a bit of everything. Reminds me a bit of... sorry for the crude comparison... the crunch berries in Cap'n Crunch cereal. Finishes with a long lingering pine and strawberry. Body is medium/ medium-heavy, balanced well by carbonation, leaves some resiny slickness on the tongue. Very very tasty and highly drinkable.

This bottle was 1yr old and it was nothing short of phenomenal. I hope to find a few more bottles, maybe see what it does after more time.

Again, be careful and slow on the pour, this stuff reacts wildly!

06-27-2010 17:45:15 | More by BeerNinja007
allengarvin

4.8/5  rDev +25%

This beer, poured into a wide-mouthed chalice is a medium orange-red color, a bit hazy, with a small but persistent head. The aroma is particularly delicious, with a huge load of herbal hoppiness and a nice musty earthiness (new-turned black soil) underneath. A gorgeous flavor! First, there an enormous hoppy flavor fairly grassy and citrusy, but bitterness never completely takes over; the brett really makes this beer, lending a delicious tartness and a lot of complexity and also pungency. The best beer I've had in months.

I haven't really cared for hop devil in the past, it being the taste of hops and nothing but, but this beer reminds me more of the excellent Orval, but with even more hops! wonderful!

05-27-2009 02:07:18 | More by allengarvin
lackenhauser

Maryland

4.78/5  rDev +24.5%

Very cool chestnut brown color with a terriffic off white head that goes on and on. Really a smart looking beer. Damp, musty aroma with a heavy floral undertone. Mildly spicy.

Big heavy hop flavor upfront with a nice "off" sort of taste. Lingering bitterness/funk all the way thru. Nice, peppery spice to it. Graniny and malty at the same time. Very well balanced with the gamut of flavors. Not overly "heavy" tasting.

Great mouthfeel. Quite quenching and refreshing. You'd think all this flavor might need to be "bigger" bodied. Perfect for an early spring evening.

I really like this a lot. I sit here and get inspired for my next homebrew batch. Great beer-perfect pairing of hops and funk. Well worth getting. I need more.

04-21-2009 23:32:50 | More by lackenhauser
nickthetick

Maryland

4.75/5  rDev +23.7%

A: pours a hazy brick red into a Duvel tulip. A slightly off white head that leaves a pretty good amount of lacing.

S: tart and sour with a lot of hops to be down and dirty. There are some funky things going on here.

T: um wow. This is my first brett beer and its a little more funky than I expected. A lot of hop character that comes out as a tart/sour orange and grapefruit. The nice sour mask the malt but not completely, there's still a sourdough quality to it.

MF: medium to heavy body and a chewy quality. The sourness is astringent across the tongue. Fairly creamy and extremely rich.

D: wow this is a crazy good beer at an awesome price at a close by brewery.

01-14-2011 03:43:57 | More by nickthetick
blameo

06-25-2014 18:10:04 | More by blameo
mikem0487

05-09-2012 20:02:25 | More by mikem0487
malcontent

4.7/5  rDev +22.4%

Poured into a tulip, massive, off-white head fed aggressively by streams of bubbles from the bottom. Beautiful auburn hue to the body. Sexy looking beer.

Smells like a hoppy saison. Slightly pineapple-y with a citrus tinge followed by a floral background (Saaz on board with some American hops?). Nice.

This beer has absolutely everything for me. Masterful use of hops in the beer's ability to provide bitterness but discernible flavor and aroma. Mostly pine-y with just a touch of grapefruit in this area. More impressive is how well the always tasty base beer has melded with the distinct farmhouse style without sacrificing anything. Funky but only subtly as the malt body holds its ground and leaves an earthy flavor on my tongue. Love it.

High degree of carbonation is right for a Belgian take on what should normally be a more restrained style. Body is full and the carbonation actually serves to cut through any perceived oiliness from the hops. Finally, the tired IPA gets a wake up. Makes me remember why hops excited me way back when. Outstanding.

06-07-2009 07:26:41 | More by malcontent
Maxxthepenguin

4.65/5  rDev +21.1%

So, I picked up a bottle of this baby today, but unfortunately cannot figure out when it was bottled. There seems to be a bottled on/best by or something on it, but it's unreadable, saying something akin to 20(half circle)(omega). Upon undoing the wire and popping the cap off, I barely touched the cork and it exploded. A good 10 minutes of nonstop head pouring out of the bottle later, I could sit down and enjoy the beverage. Even after that ludicrous amount of foam, it poured with 2/3 head.

Smell: A bouquet of brett and citrus hops greeted me, but they were not overpowering. It had an uncommonly clean nose for a brett brew.

Taste: A delightfully balanced, but potent, taste of brett sourness and strong hops creates a flavor unlike any I've found before. There is enough sweetness to give this complex flavor some backbone and hold it together, but the funk and hops are what stay prominent. There is a bit of bitterness at first taste, but that quickly fades into the glorious citric, with a dash of herbal, hop flavor and musty, sour brett, integrated into a singular taste.

The rest: The bubbliness retained through the entire drinking process, even through both glasses of the bomber. Keeping that in mind, it drinks smoothly and I could easily drink more if I had more.

08-27-2010 23:55:13 | More by Maxxthepenguin
LukeD23

Delaware

4.65/5  rDev +21.1%

upon popping open the cork of this ale I poured into a ballon glass and was met by a wonderous ruby red slightly hazy beer with a huge frothy cream colored head. Very effervesient with apparent over carbonation....At this point I brought my nose to the glass only to be jetted back in time, I began to imagine what the sailors who popped open the original IPAs might have smelled and hoped it was like this. Very nice citrus notes and apricot are backed by the smell of the wild, rustic, horsehair, wild mushrooms and freshly tilled soil.

I patiently waited for the head to reduce so I could sip....A snappy tart bitterness is the first hit on the tongue, but this ale is remarkably mellow and smooth on the finish. Grapefruit, honey, tangerine, and strangely bok choy are the flavors coming through for me, the beer is so quenching, but I find it almost impossible to truly put my finger on the great wild yeast flavors that are so so complex and warming. Mouthfeel is nice, semi thin, but it makes this beer very quaffable.

Overall, I am so glad I picked up a bottle of this stuff. I am just starting to venture into wild ales and this one makes me want to continue to try more and more. Great stuff

08-30-2009 01:04:30 | More by LukeD23
collmanb

Alaska

4.65/5  rDev +21.1%

I tried this beer while sampling all the taps at Stub and Herb's on a recent visit to Minneapolis. I like beer and I especially love IPA. After drinking my way through the taplist, this is the beer that I kept coming back to. It didn't taste a lot like an IPA, and it didn't taste like a typical Belgian, but it sure was good. I typically don't drink the same type of beer two times in a row, but this time I did - and Stub and Herb's has an excellent set of taps.

I want some more!

08-17-2009 00:32:52 | More by collmanb
ZSimon

4.65/5  rDev +21.1%

Bomber from Total Wine, Richmond, VA.

Not sure I've seen anything like this beer before, beginning with the look. Saying reddish amber would sell this beer short - this baby glows! Ultra-active carbonation powers this beer, to the unfortunate point of a bit of yield loss due to gushing. A huge, coarse, sticky, luxurious head sticks around til the end.

Brett yeast is the dominant flavor here - funky berry fruit, earthiness, with a healthy dose of hops adding another layer. Something different in every sip, definitely a function of a killer yeast strain. Just fantastic.

Wild Devil is everything a wild ale can be. Built on the traditional HopDevil foundation (a winner in its own right), the Brett yeast takes over and transforms this offering into something truly memorable. For those of us on the East Coast that don't have regular access to the Russian River line of wilds, this is a worthy substitute. Way to go, Victory!

11-21-2010 00:22:12 | More by ZSimon
becktone

4.63/5  rDev +20.6%

From notes 8-31-09

Eye: This one pours crystal clear and is copper-orange in color. Head is slightly off white and is a dense foamy mass at about two fingers with good retention, Lacing is nice too.

Nose: Hops definitely come through in this beer, citrus, floral and piney. Oakiness comes through as well. Alcohol is detectable. Brett character is very upfront, easy to detect, hard to miss. Earthy and mulchy but not as much as other brett induced beers I've had. The whole farmhouse vibe is here, horse-iness is here as well. This is pretty much exactly what the brewer wanted to accomplish.

Tongue: Three very differnt things going on here. They meld and don't. First some brett character, earthy, slight mulchiness, and what not. Then malt, and then some hops to support it all. In the end the brett comes back while the malt still lingers and the resulting taste reminds me of gingerbread...or even as strong as gingersnap cookies. Hop character is there, but isn't as pronounced as a normal IPA. The feeling of citrus notes is there on the tongue but it hides under the funk....at the same time you know its there through. Hard to describe this one....unique, very unique. The bitterness and hop flavor combine nice with the brett characteristics. Quite a cool beer.

Feel and Drinkability: Medium body with medium-low levels of carbonation and a dry finish. Everything about this beer's feel works in conjunction with the flavor. I mean it finishes dry and that compliments the brett and the hops, its carbonation is also down to help the malt to come out a bit more. This is one that I'll enjoy drinking the rest of. Prolly couldn't drink more than one bottle of this though. If I see it next year I'll most likely pick up a bottle. Its definitely worth a go.

10-27-2009 23:43:33 | More by becktone
Kolsch

4.6/5  rDev +19.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

On tap at Victory, Downingtown PA.

Appearance: Very big, very frothy head. Stuck around through the whole drink.

Smell: Absolutely barnyard. If I didn't know it, I swear I was at my Uncles farm.

Taste: Barnyard funk that was probably the most Horseblanket taste I ever had. The taste was so unique, I could not stop marveling at it. Not for everybody, though my wife liked it which was very strange. Could not detect too much on the Hop side. People say to let this one age, I like it the way it is now, the funkier the better.

Overall: I will seek out as much as humanly possible.

Edit to original Review. I cellared a couple of bottles and interestly enough the hop side comes out more with age. I prefer the damp, blanket taste.

09-10-2009 20:34:42 | More by Kolsch