Wild Devil - Victory Brewing Company

Wild DevilWild Devil

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Beer added by: Kadonny on 05-08-2008

It’s arguable that our menacingly delicious HopDevil has always been wild. With bold German malts and whole flower American hops, this India Pale Ale is anything but prim. But add a touch of brettanomyces, the unruly beast responsible for the sharp tang and deep funk found in many Belgian ales, and our WildDevil emerges completely untamed. Floral, aromatic hops still leap from this amber ale, as a host of new fermentation flavor kicks up notes of citrus and pine. Pour yourself a glass today—if you dare.
Reviews: 528 | Hads: 1,250
3.33/5  rDev -13.5%

I took the bottle out of the fridge and took the cage off of the top of the bottle. I came back ten minutes later to a big booom and the pressure from inside the bottle popped the cork right off. Simply amazing for a beer bottled back sometime in 2009. The beer was poured into a stella glass

Appearance: Holy head of beer. The head reduces, but I keep filling up my glass to get it to the proper beer level for a review. There is also some nice lacing on the side of the glass too. The beer is also a hazy orange amber color. I know there is carbonation in the beer, but I can't even see any in my glass.

Smell: Very cirtusy here, clementines, tangerine, and grapefruit come to mind. Yeast gives the beer some funkiness and straw aromas too. Some leathery characterisitcs come up towards the end of the nose too. Very strange and hopefully the beer does not taste as funky as the smell.

Taste: Same as the nose, but even more strange and funky. Is the beer supposed to be like this? Not sure. Will find out more with every sip. At least the nice citrus makes everything taste better in the rear. I just waited ten minutes and the same funkiness is going on. Don't really know what to think other than the fact that one part of the beer didn't settle correctly over the last two years.

Mouthfeel: The beer is smooth, highly carbonated, and easy to drink once you get past the funk. Medium to full bodied.

Overall: It smelles good up front, but the funkiness took a little longer than I wanted to get used to it. I prefer sour and funky beers, but this one seemed too funky. I would like to try out a fresher version next time this comes out. This was a decent twist on a style I am getting accustomed too.

3.32/5  rDev -13.8%

A - Reddish, slightly golden coloring; thick, long-lasting head which was light in color

S - Hops definitely present, however, it moves to a sweeter, citrus nose

T - Sweet-to-hoppy-to-funky taste. Citrus was present throughout that long transition. While the variety of taste was remarkable, none of it stood out

M - Moderate carbonation, not spectacular. A mild funkiness lingered

D - Very drinkable, taste does change in subtle ways the more I drink

3.29/5  rDev -14.5%

Clear, golden amber with a huge, poofy head. The foam laces very nicely all the way down the glass, in big frothy clumps.
Smells mostly floral, with a touch of green apple. I'm not getting much in the way of funk. Some mousiness is there, but not much. Certainly different from Hop Devil.
Wow! The flavor is much funkier than the smell. Toasty malt sweetness immediately gives way to harsh, bretty, jam-band level funkiness. It basically dominates the beer. Medium/full bodied, with very assertive carbonation. Not much in the way of sourness, or at least it's buried under significant hop bitters in the finish. Prominent barnyard flavors, reminding me of visiting the livestock tent at county fairs. Hay, with a distinct cow plop flavor at the very end of the finish. Strange and slightly unpleasant, but I'm comforted that nothing harmful can survive in beer, and that this is a reputable brewery. Dry and decidedly eccentric. If this was a person, it would be that crazy guy that walks around town with basketball shorts under leather chaps and carries the pink boom box.
I'm not sure if IPA and wild ale mesh exactly. The bitterness of the hops is only amplified by the lack of sweetness than brett delivers, and that cowshit flavor in the finish is somewhat off-putting. I'm glad my wife has been wanting to try this, because I doubt I want the entire 750 ml.

22oz Corked Bomber

A: Cloudy yellow, dark, yeasty. HUGE Foamy head. It was a gusher after I popped the cork overflowing all over the counter.

S; Very Belgian brett funk, slightly Hoppy.

T: Earthy, mild bitterness. I like more hop bite and sweetness from an IPA, and the belgian yeast seems to cut down on that.

M: Smooth

D: Not what I expected. Leans more toward a Belgian and it's not my favorite style.

750ml bottle (from Binny's in Orland Park) poured into a pint glass

Pours vague ruby-amber with a HUGE lumpy head and super lacing. Very slightly cloudy. Smell is interesting and not altogether pleasant. Smells a little sour, slightly soapy, dingy. Old wet clothes.

Taste is sour and bitter, soapy, cilantro. Hoppy, of course. Grapefruit sourness. Very bitter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is dry, heavy, and pleasant. Soapiness of the taste makes it a little difficult to drink.

3.28/5  rDev -14.8%

A Belgian IPA, the union of two popular styles.

Appearance: A nice golden yet hazy color with red hues. My beer poured with heavy head so the carbonation was light during consumption.

Smell: A mild aroma, nothing too crazy to the senses. The IPA fragrances mix with the Belgian frangrances, counteracting some of the signature scents of the IPA and the Belgian.

Taste: Part IPA, part Belgian. I have friends who love Belgians and friends who love IPAs while hating the other. My friends all enjoyed (but didn't love) this beer.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and tame

Drinkability: It came in a bomber bottle, which aside from some test sips from friends, I finished by myself. After the initial taste, the beer moved well and I never got tired of it.

Special Note: I know a bartender at Victory and he says that it gets better after it ages a year. I will review again after a year (or significant time passing by)

3.27/5  rDev -15.1%

Appearance: Dark amber beer with pretty heavy condensation and a very thick head on the pour. Relatively see through beer. This goes against what the description says.

Smell: Lots of hops were used to brew this beer, it has a moderate floral aroma. Smells great.

Taste: Very hoppy, i do enjoy the taste of this beer except i think its pretty average. Nothing sticks out to me.

Mouthfeel: Light beer with not much condensation makes this very drinkable.

Overall: I could see myself drinking this beer again. I would recommend this, but i would make sure to say it is average at best.

3.27/5  rDev -15.1%

Pours a dark amber color with some slight haze. Head billows to the top quickly, but sustains to a fluffy & light 1" topper. Sticks to the glass as it dissipates.

A bit of sweet fruits on the nose right away with some rather weak biscuity-hoppiness coming through.

Not as sweet as I expected for a "belgian IPA". I thought it'd have a bit more spice. However, a sharp biscuit flavor hits my palate with a nice floral resonance throughout my mouth and palate. Finish dries out a bit with just a bit of alcohol "twang" on the finish. Nothing real fancy however in my opinion. Peppery I guess as well.

Sharp carbonation on the sip with a smootness coming quickly all through the swallow. A bit of drying on the tip of my tongue and some tingling.

I'll finish the bottle, and I'd drink again, but I like Hopdevil enough not to spend the extra dough on this one.

3.26/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Beneath a billowing stack of sandy froth is a crimson bronze liquid that is mostly obscured by haze.
Aromatic primarily of pine and lemon rind, with fainter, brett-derived notions of suede and sandalwood. Malt fails to scratch out much (or seemingly any) room, scent-wise.
More in line with it's unwild sibling, tastewise. Lightly toasty and nutty maltiness. Pine dominated hop, with some lagging citric oils, and peppery dry grasses. Funk is not nearly as pronounced as in the aroma, but some dry, leatheriness and increased lemony sour-bitterness are noted.
Light bodied, any sort of malt backbone is broken immediately by the gushing carbonation that never really settles down.
The increased dryness actually boosts the drinkability a bit, as it is nearly parchingly arid.
In full disclosure, I'm not wild about HopDevil, and I'm equally nonplussed about the Brett treatment here.

3.26/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A-Pours a hazy gold/amber. A moderate pour produced a monumental foamy white head that overwhelmed my tulip.

S-earthy, yeasty, a bit of hops and spice.

T-Fruity, with a malty sweetness and a bit of floral hops.

M-Very harsh carbonation (as you'd expect from the mammoth head) made it unpleasant. A bit thin as well.

D-I couldn't finish the bomber. The carbonation was too much.

If you like Belgians and sharp carbonation, you'll probably get into this one. But it was a bit much for me.

I give it credit as a true representative of the style in A, S & T, but the mouthfeel and drinkability just weren't there.

3.24/5  rDev -15.8%

Appearance: Amazing bubbly head, Orangish hue. Major league Frothy.

Smell: Spicy nose.

Taste: My initial sip had some bite, right on the side of my tongue. This sharpness evened out after a few more sips.

Mouthfeel: Medium to thinnish body.

Drinkability: Not super smooth or balanced. For as good as this beer looked, I wished I liked the flavors and drinking it more.

Odd and Ends - Frothy head lasted to the last sip - very cool.

3.24/5  rDev -15.8%

Chilled bomber into a glass. Shared at a tasting by... mfielden? I'm not sure who brought it. Thanks though.

I'm fairly certain that this is just HopDevil infused with brettanomyces. That's what I've heard, and the name and ABV imply the same conclusion. Which makes me laugh at how ludicrous it is to charge $10 a bomber for what is nothing more than an infected version of a normal recipe... Ok...

A: Looks quite like HopDevil: a translucent amber with soft white head that forms pillowy clumps as it recedes. Leaves quite beautiful lacing down the glass.

S: Jesus. Funk to the max. Horse blanket, hay, rotting cherry. Some citrus hops, but they're so weak compared to the barnyard blast of this beer.

T: A very nicely divided set of flavors. The initial taste is all signature brett funk, with horse blanket, tobacco, hay, and faint rotting cherry. The end taste and finish, by contrast, are all citrus hops with a hint of pine and resin. It's amazing how funky this is, but it's not mind-blowing on its own. I'd have liked it to have some sourness to it.

M: Somehow light-bodied and more highly carbed than I remember the HopDevil being. Drinks pretty easily, and has a relatively clean finish.

D: Meh. Not that impressive, especially at $10 a bottle.

3.24/5  rDev -15.8%

Bottled March 27, 2009. $7.99 for a 750ml.

A: cloudy copper-red color
S: yeasty with nice funk and good hop nose
T: interesting, not what I expected from the nose, a lot of metallic bite up front from I don't know what, doesn't taste extremely bretty but somewhat stale and old like it's been oxidized (but not in an offensive way if that makes sense), dry, soft, highly carbonated, in my opinion I don't think the brett and the bitter hops are a perfect fit, seems a bit off-balance
M: metallic bite is distracting
D: this will be my only one for awhile unless I can find a very fresh example and compare the two

3.23/5  rDev -16.1%

Reviewed from notes on 9/18/10. Thanks to TCGoalie for sharing and zoso1967 for supplying.

A: Pours a murky orange-gold-light brown into an oversized wine glass. A khaki head started at two fingers and retains at half a finger throughout the tasting. The lacing left on the glass is frothy, but not very sticky.

S: Wild, spicy yeast, meet American hops. I get a lot of aromas from this one, including banana, peach, pear, and tangy sour sauce. On the back end of the smell are citrusy hops. There is a bit of an odd burnt plastic tang, and overall the aroma is very sugary and sweet.

T: The beginning of the sip is nicely sour from the wild yeast influence, and then a weird collision of burnt plastic and hops takes over. The finish is oddly bitter, but not clean. It takes kind of like earth and circus peanuts at the same time. The taste is curious, and I am not sure I like how the wild Belgian yeast interacts with the American hops.

M: The feel is medium upfront, but it soon becomes thin and a little watery in my mouth. The finish is not so pleasantly puckering.

D: This was an interesting beer and worth a try, but not really my cup of tea. The yeast and hop collision really left a strange and not entirely pleasant taste in my mouth. I will not have this again.

3.23/5  rDev -16.1%

750ml bottle purchased as a single at Julio's, Westboro, MA. Corked and caged.

Poured into a Chimay chalice, formed a 1" beige head over the effervescent coppery brew. Pillowy head lasts and lasts, with sporadic chunky lacing. Aroma is bandaids and tartness. Taste is a peek of sweetness to start, but quickly overpowered by the earthy tartness, with a lemony hops close. Mouthfeel is bubbly but still pretty smooth, with an acceptable drinkability. This one didn't do much for me.

3.21/5  rDev -16.6%

I believe this is my first Belgian IPA. Atually no I had the Stone Cali-Belgique. Not an often produced style. That being said i wouldn't recommend this beer to anyone. My palate was pretty toasted but this beer did have a magnificent foam head to a golden orange color. Head crested the glass-lopsided and as tall as the glass itself. Not too much to the nose, an earthy, dirt aroma, ripe brown fruits and Belgian yeast. Even though there was a certain small tartness to the finish, overall I expected another top notch Victory brew and a complex, somewhat sour ale. More light citrus fruit in the taste with ripe, brown fruits, doughy yeast and honey. Mouthfeel was average. Just average. A bit of a letdown.

3.2/5  rDev -16.9%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a standard pint glass.

Appearance - Poured a very thick, large bubble head. Even when poured down the side of the glass. Hazy golden amber color. Head is yellowish/white with good lacing.

Smell - Strong spice notes really over power the hops that would be expected from this Belgian IPA. Slight citrus smell well hidden behind the spices.

Taste - First thing you taste is that "belgian" spice note, but then the hops come up right behind to give it a nice bitter ending. Well balanced flavor, leaning a little more to the sweetness expected from a Belgian Tripel. Seems to capture the best of both styles.

Mouthfeel - Has a good carbonation level, which gives it a tingle on the tongue. This is something I like with a Belgian farmhouse.

Drinkability - I wouldn't be able to drink much of this due to its sweetness, but thats because I am a hophead. The bitterness at the end is nice, but not enough for my taste. The first couple of sips were the best.

I would recommend this beer, more to a Belgian beer drinker then to an IPA fan. If you like them bitter and in your face, then you may not like the sweetness of this beer.

3.2/5  rDev -16.9%

Rather disappointing offering from Victory, I see where they are trying to go, but I just think they fall short. Bottled in September 2009.

Pours an orange amber color with a HUGE head. The head fades after a while and leaves nice lacing down the glass.

Smells like grapefruit, bread, and funk. Its really not that funky.

Taste is grapefruit up front, bread in the middle, and funk on the end. The funk lingers on the palate, and is slightly unpleasant.

Mouthfeel is light and well carbonated. The carbonation doesn't clean the palate as I would like it to.

Drinkability is not good. Its not inviting and I'm struggling to get through this even with people taking sips from it.

I expected more, but I'm guessing I do not like 100% brett beers. I feel like without the sour component, the brett falls flat.

3.18/5  rDev -17.4%

750mL bomber poured into a tulip

A: Was a little worried when I pulled the cork out of this and didn't hear a pop but my fears were put quickly to rest when a head quickly formed as I poured the beer into the glass. Color is pretty nice, a hazy peach.

S: No doubt about the Brett in this beer sort of reminds me of Goose Island's Matilda as this bottle is a bit old and it seems like the majority of the hop aroma has escaped from this beer. Aroma is a bit grapey

T/MF: Taste is far tarter than I was anticipating, an almost medicinal kind of bitterness emanates from deep within the bowels of this beer (I don't want to say band-aids just yet but it seems to be at least faintly apparent in the long and draw out finish). There is a kind of grainy tannin character that overpowers the honey and unripe peachy flavors that are trying to show themselves but are hidden behind a harsh mouthfeel and overly bitter taste.

D: Not bad but not really sure what this beer wants to be but it tastes and feels like a substandard Belgian IPA to me. Not really all that enjoyable a year in the bottle and I will probably forget about this beer the second it's finished.

3.17/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle purchased and drank at the Belmont Station, PDX.

A - Poured copper wth a 2 fingered white head. Dissipated moderately slow leaving nice lacing.

S - Funk, brett, notes of honey, toffee, spicy hops, and a nectar ester.

T - Brett, honey, breadiness, bitter, slight alcohol, and medicinal tasting. Not so good.

M - Full bodied, hop dominated, with some light alcohol.

D - Something went wrong to give the medicinal taste. Not sure what, but couldn't finish the bottle.

3.14/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Sorry to hate on Victory, I like Victory brews but... I just had Saison-Brett which is by far the best Brett beer I've had.

Poured into NB Snifter via Baltimore.

A - Darker than expected, with thick foamy head.
S - Funky Belgian with some hops.
T - Grassy hops, Dry Tripel-like (but for 6.7% I expect wet), Brett funk.
M/D - Good carbonation but a little hard to get down.

Edited to bring this below the B average. The guy who just reviewed above me said he couldn't finish the bottle and neither could I. How do you give a beer a B- when you can't drink it.

3.12/5  rDev -19%

Re-post from my hacked "jmkratt" :(

750ml corked to a globe glass. The cork unloaded extremely quickly and the foam quickly spilled from the bottle. Seemed extremely carbonated, overly so.

A - After a gentle pour my globe glass was filled 4/5ths with foam and 1/5 cloudy orange/amber color brew. The extreme head is bubbly white with astounding retention and lacing. It's rather irritating waiting for the foam to subside. I put the opened bottle in the fridge to try and calm it down. When I went to pour my 2nd and 3rd glass it was still extremely foaming. I am not particularly fond of fighting this much foam every single glass. It's like a fresh keg that's been agitated.

S - Perhaps my favorite aspect of the beer. A subtle belgian yeast aroma with a hint of brett and fruity esters. Not any hop character detected. Mild malt sweetness present.

T - Similar to previous reviews I noticed the brett presence immediately and more dominantly than the nose. The hop character also is more dominant than on the nose: earthy character blends fairly well with the brett and bready biscuit malt character. The beer finishes with a bit of medicinal feel.

M - Very carbonated. You can taste the bubbles throughout, if that makes any sense. I don't know how else to describe it.

O - Not what I was expecting. I found the extreme carbonation to be both a hindrance to the aroma and flavor and mouthfeel as well as irritating to deal with. I won't be back. Pretty underwhelmed.

Reviewed on: 06-01-2011 14:20:33

3.1/5  rDev -19.5%

750ml corked & caged bottle poured into a Duvel tulip, bottled in 2009.

First things first. I got this from a cooler at store, took it home and put it in my fridge, poured it out and my duvel tulip was 95% foam, then it started foaming out of the bottle and I filled TWO more glasses with 95% foam before the bottle stopped spewing foam. Took off on drinkability for this because it's a pain to have to pour three glasses of foam before I can get one glass of beer.

Pours a haze orange hue with a ridiculous head that starts to crater and fade after a long time. Nose is brett, funk, tart, and hoppy, really crisp and well balanced.

This is a bit more flat than I'd like, but because of the crazy over-carbonation I guess it's to be expected. It's got a decent hop bite to it along with a very belgian yeast character that's quite unique and tasty.

3.08/5  rDev -20%

Appearance: Pours a hazy, golden/amber. It's super carbonated and the bubbles are huge; a fizzy three-inch head develops and slowly recedes to a surface film that hangs around for a while. The cork came out of the bottle with no hesitation. If I didn't have my hand on it, it probably would have broken a window.

Aroma: It definitely has that "farmhouse" aspect. Complex nose with strong notes of cherry, lemon, and menthol. Generally floral, barnyardy and sweet with a funky and vinous edge. There's a medicinal/chemical off-aroma there that also reminds of me of household cleaning supplies, which isn't exactly pleasant.

Taste: Dominated by harsh bitterness; piney, resiny notes poke through. Very dry, slightly sour and moderately astringent finish. I was looking forward to an explosion of hop flavor, but it really fails to establish itself with any certainty.

Mouthfeel: Light-medium body with coarse carbonation.

Overall: Victory is trying to marry German with American with Belgian, and the beer simply doesn't convey this. I'm not picking up on a German malt character or American hops - just overpowering bittnerness, funk and off-aromas. It's a struggle to get through this bottle, even when sharing it.

3.06/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Mixed feelings. Victory tried to make their fantastic Hop Devil with Belgian yeast, German malts, and American hops. The result is a unique combination of floral, citrus, and pine, but my bomber had an acidic taste that overrode everything.

Warning! Once you uncork Wild Devil it will explode like champagne. Be prepared!

Wild Devil from Victory Brewing Company