Wild Devil - Victory Brewing Company

pDev: 20%
Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Beer added by: Kadonny on 05-08-2008

It’s arguable that our menacingly delicious HopDevil has always been wild. With bold German malts and whole flower American hops, this India Pale Ale is anything but prim. But add a touch of brettanomyces, the unruly beast responsible for the sharp tang and deep funk found in many Belgian ales, and our WildDevil emerges completely untamed. Floral, aromatic hops still leap from this amber ale, as a host of new fermentation flavor kicks up notes of citrus and pine. Pour yourself a glass today—if you dare.
Reviews: 528 | Hads: 1,251
2.8/5  rDev -27.3%

A - Pours a very effervescent golden orange. The head is colossal, two inches of head over the beer. The lacing is sticky and full.

S - Tart lemon, grassy funk, piney hops.

T - The lemon tartness maintains for the whole taste, the grassy and brett funk hangs around in the middle and the finish is a dull hop flavor; some grass and pine

M - thin body and massive overcarbonation is rough, not good.

D - I do not want to continue drinking this. It's worth noting that I had this fresh and the gross amount of hops + the funk made this a drainpour. At a few months old, it isn't quite a drainpour as the hops faded a lot.

2.86/5  rDev -25.7%

Had a small glass at the Acadia Cafe in Minneapolis during an IPA tasting. I have to repeat the sentiments of Emma from Abe's Cold Beer, "I respect what they're trying to do, but..." The poor beer just doesn't work. It doesn't really have enough hops to resemble an IPA, and there isn't enough wild fun to be a respectible sour ale. Instead it's stuck with an odd clove and plastic taste that's none too pleasant. Pass.

2.86/5  rDev -25.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured a deep amber color with an inch high head, which is cream in color. The head laces slowly down the sides of the glass and settling to an eighth of an inch high. A strong malty and bread fragrance comes out at first, with touches of yeasty spiciness and some sour scent as well at the end. The typical Belgian spiciness comes in at the front of each taste. A sour flavor begins each taste, then a spoiled citrus flavor, followed by grapefruit bitterness, then it finishing with strong pine and grassy flavors that linger for some time. A heavy to medium bodied feel, with the foamy feel of carbonation on the back of the palate. This beer seems to have potential, but I am having trouble trying to find that something, it seems like it is lost. Hop Devil is a great beer, but there is something not so wild about this beer.

2.91/5  rDev -24.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

I'm parting company with the reviewers who raved over this beer. This tasted like a Wild Ale and the Brett yeast was just overpowering. The sourish vinegar taste from the yeast was just too much to bear. The beer looked good with a nice amber color and a thick creamy and frothy head that laced and retained well.

The nose has a bit of the yeasty funkiness to come, but it is not until the beer is tasted that the true character emerges. This is really not an IPA, Belgian or otherwise, and there are no candied sugar fermentables to offset that really hard to take yeastiness. There was slight booziness to the beer and the mouthfeel was a bit taut and harsh. I didn't finish the one I had at the party and do not foresee revisiting this one either.

2.91/5  rDev -24.4%

750 ML into a goblet/ Bottled on April 22, 2009

P: Orange-tinged amber with a gargantuan head of tan foam. It sits atop with the puffiness of a cumulus cloud and has a pretty thick and frothy texture to it. Shows good retention and even better rockiness as it sinks and leaves some chunks of lace behind.

A: The nose is quite interesting. I get citrus and floral hops, caramel malts, some fruity notes, and that Brett-derived horse blanket, leathery kind of character. Much more funky than I would have thought for being bottled only four months ago.

T: The taste is equally interesting, but in a less pleasant way than the nose. Citrus hops hit me with flavors of grapefruit, orange, and lemons while a pinch of pine needles jab at the bitter region of my palate. Some earthiness is noted in here as well. The caramel malt is heavily-toasted and plays a more sizeable role than the nose would lead you to believe. But, I think the Brett funk just kind of muddles things up a bit for me. It seems a little too forceful with notes of hay, horse blanket, and sweaty leather which kind of trample on the rest of the flavor profile.

M: The mouthfeel of Wild Devil is easily its best attribute. It feels medium-full in the mouth with a rich, semi-sticky creaminess that makes it very palatable, even if it is a bit over-carbonated.

Notes: I had a hard time rating this beer due to the unique nature of it. I just wasn't really feeling the Brett'ed IPA idea. Admittedly, it sounds interesting on paper, but the actual execution of such a beer was really awkward and not all that pleasant. The funk seems to drown out the hops and makes it feel kind of disjointed as a whole. Props to Victory for being brave enough to try it, though. It seems like a lot of other people are digging it, but it just wasn't my cup of tea. Interesting to say the least.

2.93/5  rDev -23.9%

A - Amber/ orange colored brew. Abundant long-lasting foam.

S- citrusy, hops, a little of that rodenbach funkiness. Tried and tried but can't pin it down right now. Can smell the yeast.

t-hoppy, sour, a bit like a gueuze but hoppier. Some bitterness too. Like a pale ale mixes with a gueuze. Not much malt presence though. Long lasting, mouth puckering sourness, but not much complexity? No sweetness. A bit crazy and young tasting, like some home-brew I've had. Doesn't feel balanced. Feels like this wild devil needs to be tamed for a bit longer. Yeast flavor is strong.

m- fine

d- thirst quenching, but tastes a bit too uneven, bitter and sour so you can't drink much.

2.95/5  rDev -23.4%

served in flute

Beautiful head, off white dense and long lasting.

Interesting combination of hop and funk, intriguing and makes you thirst

Flavor falls down in my opinion. Has great balance of hop flavor and brett funk, and you don't want to spit it out, but it is not an appealing flavor. It's like ketchup on ice cream, they just don't work well together.

Mouth feel is a bit thick and lingering and cloying

Not terribly drinkable, it's just not a good combination in my opinion. It's a well made beer, but falls down on flavor profile.

2.99/5  rDev -22.3%

Victory Brewing Company--Wild Devil Ale--2009-10 25.4 oz. Bottle. 6.70% ABV. 70 IBU's. (3.5 / 5.0) IPA--Brett. Big foamy lacy off white head. Hazed pretty rich orange gold color. Odd Brett hop floral citrus farmhouse ester front. Mild active sediment. Creamy dry sweet fruity mild sour crusty caramel hint body. Brett hop spice funky clean tangy citrus end. Odd but not bad. Sampled 6/4/2010. 2 @ $8.99 Each.

2.99/5  rDev -22.3%

this was a tough one to review. there's been a lot of split opinions on this beer and it's an unusual style.

pours an off amber/blonde with immense creamy head.
smells quite strongly of belgian funk from the brettanomyces yeast.

on paper this is a cool idea. victory's basically taken the hopdevil and used german malts and super aggressive belgian yeast. the result???

my problem is that the taste just doesn't follow the intriguing nose. the brett funk is super strong and completely dominates, destroying the hop profile. hats off to victory for trying to tackle this, unfortunately it just didn't work for me.

the dudes at Great Divide Brewing brew a better version of this.

Not as good as I was hoping for the Wild Devil is still interesting, especially for an "American Pale Ale" as this site states. I had it on draft at my favorite beer pub and it certainly was refreshing but there are better pale ales out there. Worth a try and another great try from this brewery but not one I'll by a sixpack of.

I poured from a bomber into a snifter. It pours a deep amber The smell is pure funk, I really did not notice any hops. The flavor is sour and funky, I did not detect many IPA qualities. Wild Devil is medium bodied and had moderate carbonation. It is a sipper for me. IMO the brett took this beer over and it is more of a wild ale than an IPA. I did not detect any hops in this at all. This brew was a dissapointment.

Not much funk in my bottle. If anything it had a slight lemon flavor and it was kinda like you had a penny in your mouth too. The hops were nice and it was a smooth drinking ale. I enjoyed it, it just wasn't what I thought it would be.

3.03/5  rDev -21.3%

After a little scare of the top completely shooting off and the bottle overflowing, this thing settles down enough for me to pour this amber tangerine dream. a cappuccino foam head has some great staying power.

I don't know what I was expecting, but this is a combo of a belgian sweet earthiness and some american hoppy notes. Has a little mustiness in the background too, which is interesting. Gives it a little touch of unrefinement.

I honestly don't know what to make of this. I get the feeling that everything that was in battle in the nose washes out and battles each other. Just seems like a softer version of Hop Devil, really. Not quite as brash, but I'd like a little more sweetness to balance it out a bit.

moderate to high carbonation gives a nice tickle. high drinkability, but all the flavor does is confuse me. I'm not opposed to drinking this, but I'm not excited to be drinking it either. I won't be getting this again.

3.06/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Mixed feelings. Victory tried to make their fantastic Hop Devil with Belgian yeast, German malts, and American hops. The result is a unique combination of floral, citrus, and pine, but my bomber had an acidic taste that overrode everything.

Warning! Once you uncork Wild Devil it will explode like champagne. Be prepared!

3.08/5  rDev -20%

Appearance: Pours a hazy, golden/amber. It's super carbonated and the bubbles are huge; a fizzy three-inch head develops and slowly recedes to a surface film that hangs around for a while. The cork came out of the bottle with no hesitation. If I didn't have my hand on it, it probably would have broken a window.

Aroma: It definitely has that "farmhouse" aspect. Complex nose with strong notes of cherry, lemon, and menthol. Generally floral, barnyardy and sweet with a funky and vinous edge. There's a medicinal/chemical off-aroma there that also reminds of me of household cleaning supplies, which isn't exactly pleasant.

Taste: Dominated by harsh bitterness; piney, resiny notes poke through. Very dry, slightly sour and moderately astringent finish. I was looking forward to an explosion of hop flavor, but it really fails to establish itself with any certainty.

Mouthfeel: Light-medium body with coarse carbonation.

Overall: Victory is trying to marry German with American with Belgian, and the beer simply doesn't convey this. I'm not picking up on a German malt character or American hops - just overpowering bittnerness, funk and off-aromas. It's a struggle to get through this bottle, even when sharing it.

3.1/5  rDev -19.5%

750ml corked & caged bottle poured into a Duvel tulip, bottled in 2009.

First things first. I got this from a cooler at store, took it home and put it in my fridge, poured it out and my duvel tulip was 95% foam, then it started foaming out of the bottle and I filled TWO more glasses with 95% foam before the bottle stopped spewing foam. Took off on drinkability for this because it's a pain to have to pour three glasses of foam before I can get one glass of beer.

Pours a haze orange hue with a ridiculous head that starts to crater and fade after a long time. Nose is brett, funk, tart, and hoppy, really crisp and well balanced.

This is a bit more flat than I'd like, but because of the crazy over-carbonation I guess it's to be expected. It's got a decent hop bite to it along with a very belgian yeast character that's quite unique and tasty.

3.12/5  rDev -19%

Re-post from my hacked "jmkratt" :(

750ml corked to a globe glass. The cork unloaded extremely quickly and the foam quickly spilled from the bottle. Seemed extremely carbonated, overly so.

A - After a gentle pour my globe glass was filled 4/5ths with foam and 1/5 cloudy orange/amber color brew. The extreme head is bubbly white with astounding retention and lacing. It's rather irritating waiting for the foam to subside. I put the opened bottle in the fridge to try and calm it down. When I went to pour my 2nd and 3rd glass it was still extremely foaming. I am not particularly fond of fighting this much foam every single glass. It's like a fresh keg that's been agitated.

S - Perhaps my favorite aspect of the beer. A subtle belgian yeast aroma with a hint of brett and fruity esters. Not any hop character detected. Mild malt sweetness present.

T - Similar to previous reviews I noticed the brett presence immediately and more dominantly than the nose. The hop character also is more dominant than on the nose: earthy character blends fairly well with the brett and bready biscuit malt character. The beer finishes with a bit of medicinal feel.

M - Very carbonated. You can taste the bubbles throughout, if that makes any sense. I don't know how else to describe it.

O - Not what I was expecting. I found the extreme carbonation to be both a hindrance to the aroma and flavor and mouthfeel as well as irritating to deal with. I won't be back. Pretty underwhelmed.

Reviewed on: 06-01-2011 14:20:33

3.14/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Sorry to hate on Victory, I like Victory brews but... I just had Saison-Brett which is by far the best Brett beer I've had.

Poured into NB Snifter via Baltimore.

A - Darker than expected, with thick foamy head.
S - Funky Belgian with some hops.
T - Grassy hops, Dry Tripel-like (but for 6.7% I expect wet), Brett funk.
M/D - Good carbonation but a little hard to get down.

Edited to bring this below the B average. The guy who just reviewed above me said he couldn't finish the bottle and neither could I. How do you give a beer a B- when you can't drink it.

3.17/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle purchased and drank at the Belmont Station, PDX.

A - Poured copper wth a 2 fingered white head. Dissipated moderately slow leaving nice lacing.

S - Funk, brett, notes of honey, toffee, spicy hops, and a nectar ester.

T - Brett, honey, breadiness, bitter, slight alcohol, and medicinal tasting. Not so good.

M - Full bodied, hop dominated, with some light alcohol.

D - Something went wrong to give the medicinal taste. Not sure what, but couldn't finish the bottle.

3.18/5  rDev -17.4%

750mL bomber poured into a tulip

A: Was a little worried when I pulled the cork out of this and didn't hear a pop but my fears were put quickly to rest when a head quickly formed as I poured the beer into the glass. Color is pretty nice, a hazy peach.

S: No doubt about the Brett in this beer sort of reminds me of Goose Island's Matilda as this bottle is a bit old and it seems like the majority of the hop aroma has escaped from this beer. Aroma is a bit grapey

T/MF: Taste is far tarter than I was anticipating, an almost medicinal kind of bitterness emanates from deep within the bowels of this beer (I don't want to say band-aids just yet but it seems to be at least faintly apparent in the long and draw out finish). There is a kind of grainy tannin character that overpowers the honey and unripe peachy flavors that are trying to show themselves but are hidden behind a harsh mouthfeel and overly bitter taste.

D: Not bad but not really sure what this beer wants to be but it tastes and feels like a substandard Belgian IPA to me. Not really all that enjoyable a year in the bottle and I will probably forget about this beer the second it's finished.

3.2/5  rDev -16.9%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a standard pint glass.

Appearance - Poured a very thick, large bubble head. Even when poured down the side of the glass. Hazy golden amber color. Head is yellowish/white with good lacing.

Smell - Strong spice notes really over power the hops that would be expected from this Belgian IPA. Slight citrus smell well hidden behind the spices.

Taste - First thing you taste is that "belgian" spice note, but then the hops come up right behind to give it a nice bitter ending. Well balanced flavor, leaning a little more to the sweetness expected from a Belgian Tripel. Seems to capture the best of both styles.

Mouthfeel - Has a good carbonation level, which gives it a tingle on the tongue. This is something I like with a Belgian farmhouse.

Drinkability - I wouldn't be able to drink much of this due to its sweetness, but thats because I am a hophead. The bitterness at the end is nice, but not enough for my taste. The first couple of sips were the best.

I would recommend this beer, more to a Belgian beer drinker then to an IPA fan. If you like them bitter and in your face, then you may not like the sweetness of this beer.

3.2/5  rDev -16.9%

Rather disappointing offering from Victory, I see where they are trying to go, but I just think they fall short. Bottled in September 2009.

Pours an orange amber color with a HUGE head. The head fades after a while and leaves nice lacing down the glass.

Smells like grapefruit, bread, and funk. Its really not that funky.

Taste is grapefruit up front, bread in the middle, and funk on the end. The funk lingers on the palate, and is slightly unpleasant.

Mouthfeel is light and well carbonated. The carbonation doesn't clean the palate as I would like it to.

Drinkability is not good. Its not inviting and I'm struggling to get through this even with people taking sips from it.

I expected more, but I'm guessing I do not like 100% brett beers. I feel like without the sour component, the brett falls flat.

3.21/5  rDev -16.6%

I believe this is my first Belgian IPA. Atually no I had the Stone Cali-Belgique. Not an often produced style. That being said i wouldn't recommend this beer to anyone. My palate was pretty toasted but this beer did have a magnificent foam head to a golden orange color. Head crested the glass-lopsided and as tall as the glass itself. Not too much to the nose, an earthy, dirt aroma, ripe brown fruits and Belgian yeast. Even though there was a certain small tartness to the finish, overall I expected another top notch Victory brew and a complex, somewhat sour ale. More light citrus fruit in the taste with ripe, brown fruits, doughy yeast and honey. Mouthfeel was average. Just average. A bit of a letdown.

3.23/5  rDev -16.1%

Reviewed from notes on 9/18/10. Thanks to TCGoalie for sharing and zoso1967 for supplying.

A: Pours a murky orange-gold-light brown into an oversized wine glass. A khaki head started at two fingers and retains at half a finger throughout the tasting. The lacing left on the glass is frothy, but not very sticky.

S: Wild, spicy yeast, meet American hops. I get a lot of aromas from this one, including banana, peach, pear, and tangy sour sauce. On the back end of the smell are citrusy hops. There is a bit of an odd burnt plastic tang, and overall the aroma is very sugary and sweet.

T: The beginning of the sip is nicely sour from the wild yeast influence, and then a weird collision of burnt plastic and hops takes over. The finish is oddly bitter, but not clean. It takes kind of like earth and circus peanuts at the same time. The taste is curious, and I am not sure I like how the wild Belgian yeast interacts with the American hops.

M: The feel is medium upfront, but it soon becomes thin and a little watery in my mouth. The finish is not so pleasantly puckering.

D: This was an interesting beer and worth a try, but not really my cup of tea. The yeast and hop collision really left a strange and not entirely pleasant taste in my mouth. I will not have this again.

3.23/5  rDev -16.1%

750ml bottle purchased as a single at Julio's, Westboro, MA. Corked and caged.

Poured into a Chimay chalice, formed a 1" beige head over the effervescent coppery brew. Pillowy head lasts and lasts, with sporadic chunky lacing. Aroma is bandaids and tartness. Taste is a peek of sweetness to start, but quickly overpowered by the earthy tartness, with a lemony hops close. Mouthfeel is bubbly but still pretty smooth, with an acceptable drinkability. This one didn't do much for me.

Wild Devil from Victory Brewing Company