1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Wild Devil - Victory Brewing Company

Wild DevilWild Devil

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Belgian IPA |  6.70% ABV

American IPA w/ Brettanomyces.

(Beer added by: Kadonny on 05-08-2008)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 622 | Reviews: 471 | Show All Ratings:
woodychandler

3.55/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A finger's worth of soapy, foamy ecru lead with decent retention. Nose was much more sour than my beloved Devil. Color was a slightly cloudy lemon-yellow. Mouthfeel was medium with a hoppy, yeasty tang on the palate. Finish was highly unusual, with a light sourness competing with the expected bitterness.

My only concern arose from the idea that I have always considered Hop Devil to be a female and for her to have caught hold of a wild yeast strain?!? C'mon baby, you should know better.

Bottom line; it was interesting and for those die-hard afficianados of sour beers, this is something that you should try. For those of us who are less inclined, in our old age, to sharp sour-ish women, fear not, La Belle Diable still exists on cask.

12-09-2009 10:11:30 | More by woodychandler
TheFightfan1

3.78/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a hazy amber color with a very thick eggshell colored heading that sticks around and leaves some very nice lacing till the last sip.

Smell is very fruity and very spicey hopped. Another very heavy floral wave hits you after a few ticks.

Taste is immediate with bubblegum. Then a crisp maltiness kicks in right in the middle when the spicey hoppiness takes and finishes the ride.

Mouth is medium bodied a little acidic on the palate but doesn't overkill. Finishes smooth and hoppy.

Drinkability is good nothing spectacular. After the bigger hype about this beer a few months back I was very eager to try it from the taps and it didn't dissappoint.

11-15-2009 18:38:26 | More by TheFightfan1
goblue3509

4.1/5  rDev +6.8%

Pours a nice amber color with a slightly hazy yeasty look with a one finger head. The smell is of big earth notes, earthy hops, earthy malts, it smells like a dank rainy day. The taste is of a earthy sweet backbone of malt, with earthy hops present. The hops are not as bitter as with an american ipa. Well balanced with the malt. The mouthfeel was moderate carbonation. Overall this is a very drinkable beer, like most victories it is big and rough, but that is why you drink victory.

09-14-2009 01:35:46 | More by goblue3509
erok

1.95/5  rDev -49.2%

Appearance - horseblanket
smell - horseblanket
taste - horseblanket
mouthfeel - horseblanket

Just kidding about the appearance and mouthfeel ( kinda). This beer is another example of a too rough around the edges victory offering. The wild yeast is so overdone and out of balance that the final beer could neither be categorized as an an american wild ale nor a Belgian ipa. In fact this beer displays no characteristics of either style. It's basically a glass of suspended yeast in bitter liquid. The emphasis on funk is taken to its logical and unpalateable extreme in this beer.

09-11-2009 14:27:24 | More by erok
Kolsch

4.6/5  rDev +19.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

On tap at Victory, Downingtown PA.

Appearance: Very big, very frothy head. Stuck around through the whole drink.

Smell: Absolutely barnyard. If I didn't know it, I swear I was at my Uncles farm.

Taste: Barnyard funk that was probably the most Horseblanket taste I ever had. The taste was so unique, I could not stop marveling at it. Not for everybody, though my wife liked it which was very strange. Could not detect too much on the Hop side. People say to let this one age, I like it the way it is now, the funkier the better.

Overall: I will seek out as much as humanly possible.

Edit to original Review. I cellared a couple of bottles and interestly enough the hop side comes out more with age. I prefer the damp, blanket taste.

09-10-2009 20:34:42 | More by Kolsch
alleykatking

Indiana

4.22/5  rDev +9.9%

Had on tap at Max's

A- Pours a very nice deep copper amber color. Given to me with a nice 1 finger head that seemed to melt away leaving behind nice sticky lacing on the sides of the glass.

S- Bigger hops upfront. Kind of a citrus hoppy smell but can't pinpoint the fruit I keep picking up. There is a bit of funk that kind of hides the hops a bit but doesn't cover it all the way. A sour smell to this beer which is a welcome in my nose. Nice aroma on this.

T- Nice hops profile in this. Kind of a little bitter. The yeast strain they use brings out some funk and extra bitterness to it. A nice sour taste also shines in this. I was suprised at how well I enjoyed this beer...which was...well....a lot.

M- Nice medium mouthfeel to this. Good carbonation levels helps the beer leave a sour mess in the mouth before it goes down the throat. Nice funk taste left on the tounge.

D- This a very drinkable beer I thought. I like sours though which might lead me to like this a bit more than others. Nice blend of the two styles and I am really glad I got to try this one out!

08-17-2009 22:17:47 | More by alleykatking
yesyouam

3.9/5  rDev +1.6%

Victory Wild Devil Ale is a hazy golden ale with a dense, creamy off-white head that has excellent retention and lacing. It has a very unique aroma. Strong citrusy hops and sour bret are both prominent in the nose. It's medium bodied, silky smooth, but flat. The finish is acidic. It tastes sour and bitter. This is a super complex mash-up of a dry-hopped IPA and, like, a Geuze or a Farmhouse or something. It's fruity and funky. It's kind of a stunt beer.

[Sampled at the 2009 Flower City Brewers' Fest at Frontier Field, Rochester, NY]

08-17-2009 12:34:37 | More by yesyouam
collmanb

Alaska

4.65/5  rDev +21.1%

I tried this beer while sampling all the taps at Stub and Herb's on a recent visit to Minneapolis. I like beer and I especially love IPA. After drinking my way through the taplist, this is the beer that I kept coming back to. It didn't taste a lot like an IPA, and it didn't taste like a typical Belgian, but it sure was good. I typically don't drink the same type of beer two times in a row, but this time I did - and Stub and Herb's has an excellent set of taps.

I want some more!

08-17-2009 00:32:52 | More by collmanb
johnmichaelsen

Oregon

4.33/5  rDev +12.8%

On tap at Max's during their Victory blowout.

Wasn't sure how much I was going to like this beer, as the idea of infecting an IPA with brett struck me as a chancy idea at best.... but what do you know, Victory came up with a good idea.

The beer pours the expected copper amber color with good head retention and lacing. On the nose this beer is pretty interesting. I get the expected hopdevil citrus and pepper nose, but it's wound up with a considerable amount of sour funk, which greatly adds to the complexity. While I'm not a big fan of sour beers, I liked how the sour interplayed with the hoppy bitterness in this beer. Flavors on the palate replicate the beer pretty closely, but the hoppy bitterness ultimately seemed to dominate in this beer, which is what I prefer The beer is medium bodied, with persistent flavor throughout. The beer finishes well and the sour does seem to detract at all from the drinkability.

Much to my surprise, I really liked this. The sourness gives the beer a bit of an edge, and I think makes for a more interesting flavor profile. I think I prefer this to the regular hopdevil. A very interesting beer.

08-14-2009 12:46:07 | More by johnmichaelsen
jgasparine

Maryland

3.7/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Poured from the tap with a thin flat white head, which quickly receded, leaving a touch of lacing behind. Body is a hazy honey color, and exhibits a fair amount of carbonation.

S- The nose is prominently caramel malt and brettanomyces, with some faint low-alpha hop aroma playing in the background. Smells a bit crackerlike as well...

T- Nice caramel malt up-front and tons of horseblanket (brett)... but what's this, a moderate punch of low-alpha hops? I suppose the nose indicated that this was coming, but I don't know if I like the way it works (or doesn't work) with the funky malt profile... the hops almost seem distracting.

M- Big body... lots of unattenuated sugar... grainy and a bit oily at the same time... the moderate carbonation works nicely here with this wonderfully big body.

D- This beer goes down easy enough, but I feel like the hops are distracting... so I must downgrade the drinkability rating accordingly.

08-14-2009 02:26:33 | More by jgasparine
kirkmichel

Georgia

4.38/5  rDev +14.1%

A-Beautful rust/amber color with a thick tan foam that aderes to the glass. Beer is opaque but not cloudy.
S-I couldn't get too much on the nose..not sure if my sniffer is broken or if the beer just doesn't have much. Did, of course get the piney hop smell that one would expect from a Belgian IPA.
T-What the smell lacked, the taste totally made up for. Nice hop zing, with a nutty flavor and carmelized sugar and fruit.
M-Oily hop feel, but nice overall.
D-Definitely could have a few of these - nice zing, but doesn't totallly take your tastebuds out of commission.

08-09-2009 18:59:06 | More by kirkmichel
david18

Not as good as I was hoping for the Wild Devil is still interesting, especially for an "American Pale Ale" as this site states. I had it on draft at my favorite beer pub and it certainly was refreshing but there are better pale ales out there. Worth a try and another great try from this brewery but not one I'll by a sixpack of.

07-31-2009 18:49:32 | More by david18
feloniousmonk

4.13/5  rDev +7.6%

Hazed crimson hue...big, creamy beige head. Lovely looking.

Fruity aroma, sweet and sour, funky stuff, whiffs of spice and straw, hayloft and orange, lemon and sod, a little apple...ah!!!

Slides into the palate assuredly...a nice blast of hops, blanketed by the Belgian yeast, coating the mouthfeel, hops spiking up a little from below. Little bitterness remains, but plays consistently on the palate. Delicate, and tasty buzz. Very smooth, easy drinking, ...but full of character, chock-full of juicy, jazzy hoppy flavor.

zesty stuff, flush with Belgian funk. Great drinker, highly recommended.

07-29-2009 07:34:51 | More by feloniousmonk
JimsArcade

4.47/5  rDev +16.4%

Served in a 16oz pilsner glass.

Like the HopDevil it's based on, it has a nice reddish-brown hue. It generates a sizeable head, and if not for that and the slightly finer composition of that head, you'd never know it wasn't a HopDevil just by looking at it.

Once you smell it, though, you know you've got something different here. The hop aroma is muted somewhat by the musty funk from the Brett yeast. It's bright and earthy all at once.

Wow, this is an IPA? Sure, the citrusy bitterness is there, but the yeast used in this brew brings a mellow balance to the equation. If you only consider the hops and the malts in a beer's taste profile, this beer will change your tune. It's hard to believe that this is related to the HopDevil at all. I actually prefer this wild version.

The new yeast brings with it a finer mouthfeel. It's still got the stickiness from the malts, but that stickiness is countered by the new carbonation profile. Definitely an improvement over the HopDevil.

I could drink this beer all night. Everything is so much more balanced with the funky characteristics of the Brett blending with the hops. The alcohol is well-hidden in this new recipe, too.

I've had this on-tap and from a bomber. On tap, it's a little more earthy while from the bottle it has a hint of sourness. I recommend trying both versions to see what you like better.

If I were to have one main complaint, it would be that the WildDevil, in bottle form at least, is extremely overpriced. If the only thing that's different in the recipe is the yeast, there's no excuse to charge 3x the price for a case of WilDevil over that of a HopDevil. Even at the brewery, a pint of Wild Devil is priced on par with that of a HopDevil.

All-in-all, WildDevil is the most interesting (and successful) new beer Victory has produced in a very long time. I would go so far as to say that it no longer qualifies as an American IPA anymore: the Brett completely changes the characteristics of the HopDevil it's based on. Perhaps it's better suited in the 'Belgian IPA' or even 'Wild Ale' categories.

07-27-2009 18:51:26 | More by JimsArcade
FickleBeast

3.78/5  rDev -1.6%

.4 L glass on tap at Victory Brewing

A - clear reddish color, minimal head. Darker than expected

S - Mild Brett smell - some funkiness, not much else

T - Initial taste is funkiness that is then balanced by a solid hop bitter kick. Has a good malt backbone, but unbalanced on the hop side.

M - Dry, refreshing, almost too dry - bitterness lingers

D - Ok, but between the Brett funk and the hop bitterness it gets to be a bit much. Wouldn't order another.

Overall a good intro into Wild beers. Certainly the most palatable wild beer I've had.

07-27-2009 15:14:13 | More by FickleBeast
tzieser

Arizona

4.13/5  rDev +7.6%

Had this one on tap a while ago at sunset grill & tap in brighton mass

Poured a dark brown, almost deep maroon color with a modest head.

Smelled amazing. Lots of hops and subtle malts with background scents of delicious yeast...possibly belgium

Tasted great. Very similar to Hop Devil in terms of hopiness, but with a nice oaky/wild taste to it. I think i'd classify this as a wild ale before an IPA...

Mouthfeel was pretty normal. Nothing special

Drinkability was good-- especially for a wild ale. pretty sessionable.

Overall- definitely worth a shot to anyone who likes IPAs or wild ales

07-23-2009 14:47:05 | More by tzieser
thain709

3.6/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A - Solid copper body...a one finger cream colored head that slowly falls into a ring...good lacing

S - Not much going on here...malts and yeast...I wanted more!...no real hop presence

T - I think my hopes were too high...the flavor starts off kind of sweet...probably from the present malts...but then the Bretts take over...they are definitely dominate throughout the palate and provide that funkiness...that funk hides the strong grapefruit hops that could be shining through

M - Medium bodied...good carbonation...smooth

D - For me...the Bretts just take away from the flavor...as I said I was a little disappointed...I know you can't really compare this to Hop Devil...but...I would take a Hop Devil over the Wild Devil any day

07-11-2009 14:39:45 | More by thain709
Mistofminn

4.13/5  rDev +7.6%

I've been meaning to try this for a while. In Stillwater, MN for the 4th of July fireworks, and stopped at the Mad Capper for a couple brews before hand. I was shocked to see this on their tap list, and jumped at the chance to try it.

Served in an unmarked tulip glass, this brew is a stunning red orange. The center of the glass is much darker than the outside, almost deep ruby in color that fades to orange as it gets closer to the edge. A one finger off-white head is produced from an extremely delicate pour from the bartender. Head retention isn't a strong suit, but lacing is decent. Lively carbonation bubbles are sprinting up the sides of the glass. Honestly, a very aesthetically pleasing brew.

The nose is amazing. I never thought a wild yeast and a hopped up brew would work well together, but this one pulls it off with flying colors. I get citrusy hops, grapefruits and lemon zest as well as a piney resiney hop presence, and the funk from the Brett. What a perfect marriage of virtual opposites. The Brett is out in full force in this one, which caught me off guard. I assumed that the Brett wouldn't mature before the hops would fade, but I was wrong, and boy am I pleased with the result.

The taste, unfortunately, isn't as exciting as the nose would lead you to believe. The nose is excellent, but the taste is just great. I definitely get the grapefruit and piney hops, but the Brett is hiding, which disappoints me. Don't get me wrong, it's a great tasting brew, but with a nose like that, this one is almost a let down.

Mouthfeel is light and bubbly, but bitter and sour. Great compliments to eachother. Drinkability is high, and for a near 7% brew, this is extremely palatable. I'm glad I tried this, I am a huge fan. I only wish the Brett would come out a little more in the taste department, if so, this would be near perfection. Highly recommended!

07-08-2009 05:12:06 | More by Mistofminn
GeezLynn

4.33/5  rDev +12.8%

Lighter copper shade with a medium white head. Smell was very fresh hops, seaside with a light grassy smell.
Taste was lively, yet refined. Plenty of citrus without much bitterness. Slight sweet flavor with a dry finish. The yeast influence is very apparent.
Good mouthfeel - very smooth with soft, even carbonation and very easy to drink.
Unusual and tasty.

06-25-2009 04:44:51 | More by GeezLynn
clayrock81

Poured a dark brown with reddish tint and a large head. A smell of bigness; some sweet malts and fruit aromas closer to berries and grape more than citrus. A fuller body that has some caramel sweetness intertwine with a wild, leafy hop bitterness that gives off a mild tropical fruit flavor but also has a sour, dry and crisp edge to the backbone of this beer. A good beer but wore my palate out towards the end; one is fine for me.

06-24-2009 18:11:45 | More by clayrock81
argock

2.08/5  rDev -45.8%

Served on-tap in a clear pint glass at Beer Run (Charlottesville, VA) for $5.75.

A: A very lively glowing red amber with sticky 1-2 finger off-white head with good retention and persistent lacing down the glass.

S: Moderate funkiness with immediate tartness and spicy hoppiness with not a lot of malt showing through

T: A mess of a beer with no commitment to being either a sour ale or an IPA which leaves a mismatched overly tart, overly bitter hoppy brew with no malt character. It unfortunately tastes like a sour crabapple, and that is not good.

M: Good medium body with a bit too much carbonation. Very funky, earthy, tart aftertaste that is sickly sweettart.

D: No tone I'm going to back to and a hard brew to figure out. There is very little malt character to this beer, and the tart and bitter qualities overrride everything else and detract from the enjoyment of this brew. I wish Victory had gone either sour ale or IPA with this beer -- it is stuck in the middle which makes it a hard one to choke down.

06-12-2009 04:20:17 | More by argock
CrellMoset

4.03/5  rDev +4.9%

On tap at Beer Run, Charlottesville, VA. Served in a traditional American pint glass.

Appearance: Comes a really bright, vibrant sunset orange, a thick ruby red grapefruit at its center and lightening as it emanates outwards. The three-quarters of a finger of ever so slightly offwhite head fade fairly quickly but leave a nice stick of solid lacing and a persistent dusting. Lively, relatively fast, and relatively plentiful medium sized carbonation races towards the surface at a clip. What's really attractive is the color on this one, just a really pleasant - gorgeous, even - range of hues.

Aroma: A nice, fruity, slightly funky nose, with plenty of balance between the original beer and the addition. As in the taste below, the citrusy aspect of the backing beer is augmented by the brett addition, with flourishes of orange zest and lemon peel reaching the nose easily and first. The remainder is cheese, bubblegum, pine, mint, and light bready caramel.

Taste: A really nice balance of IPA and brett. The brett adds a definite musty, slightly cheesy, bubblegum-esque character, but no overwhelmingly sour or other undesirable (in my opinion) overtones - just a mild tartness. The backing beer still asserts itself strongly, and some of the more citrusy aspects of the Hop Devil are emphasized by the brett, allowing a nice orange and grapefruit-esque presence to shine through the lightly grassy, moderately roasted body.

Mouthfeel: Probably better carbonated than the regular Hop Devil, or maybe thinned out a little by the brett addition, this one is moderately thick but spritzy enough that it doesn't feel so. It's still reasonably even though, not in a rough, prickly, over-carbonated way.

Drinkability: 6.7% isn't sessionable, but it's not high for the style, nor the base beer style. Furthermore, this isn't an over-the-top wild ale (as some of them so obviously are), instead providing a nice, balanced, lightly tart, rather tasty balance. I quite enjoyed this one despite not being a fan of the style, which means for many people'll it probably be too tame.

06-10-2009 20:59:05 | More by CrellMoset
tempest

2.83/5  rDev -26.3%

Had a small glass at the Acadia Cafe in Minneapolis during an IPA tasting. I have to repeat the sentiments of Emma from Abe's Cold Beer, "I respect what they're trying to do, but..." The poor beer just doesn't work. It doesn't really have enough hops to resemble an IPA, and there isn't enough wild fun to be a respectible sour ale. Instead it's stuck with an odd clove and plastic taste that's none too pleasant. Pass.

05-27-2009 16:43:30 | More by tempest
CHSLBrew

3.88/5  rDev +1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

On-tap at Sweeny's in St. Paul, poured into a pint glass. Enjoyed on a beautiful spring afternoon on the patio, sun beating down.

A-Arrived with a copper beer, slightly hazed and with a brownish hue. Tannish head was attractive when it arrived, but quickly receded to nothing.

S-Relative to Hop Devil, this one has a more subtle American hop presence, likely subdued by the more prominent twangy Brett characteristic. However, this did not overwhelm what was otherwise a pretty delicate aroma.

T-The flavor was very much like the aroma, with perhaps a little bit more malt presence. The first flavor I noticed on my first sip was, of course, the twang/sour/funk of the Brettanomyces. This, however, was not a slap-in-the-face flavor, but instead a nicely intertwined characteristic which played off the somewhat subdued American hops and biscuity malts. This beer finished crisp, clean, and dry, making it one of the more refreshing and drinkable brews I've had recently. Especially appropriate for sitting outside on a warm day!

M-Felt medium-light bodied on my palate, with a carbonation that seemed borderline effervescent. Of course, it was realistically a more medium-high carbonation level, but the relatively lighter body made me perceive higher carbonation.

D-This is an enjoyable beer. As I've already stated, the Brett addition makes this IPA much more refreshing on a summer day, while being well-balanced within the rest of the beer's character.

05-18-2009 13:39:35 | More by CHSLBrew
roadhouse

Had on tap at Stub and Herbs in Minneapolis on 5/12, a 7 oz. pour

Poured a slightly hazy orange color with a half inch off-white head that falls to a skim and leaves minimal lacing.

The aroma was basically the same as the regular Hop Devil with a slight funk to it. There was citrus, pine, and spicy hops in there with the brett flavor only slightly making an appearance.

Taste began with hops from the start, again citrus, pine, and spiciness all with a bit of a funky brett tinge to it. It was actually quite subtle, probably due to the hops covering it up.

Mouthfeel was medium bodied, pretty smooth and easy to drink.

Overall I can say I'm glad I was able to get the 7 oz. pour because I didn't want to spend $9 for a bottle of it. It's an interesting beer that is worth a try but I wouldn't go out of my way to try it again.

05-13-2009 05:21:46 | More by roadhouse