Wild Devil - Victory Brewing Company

Wild DevilWild Devil

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Beer added by: Kadonny on 05-08-2008

It’s arguable that our menacingly delicious HopDevil has always been wild. With bold German malts and whole flower American hops, this India Pale Ale is anything but prim. But add a touch of brettanomyces, the unruly beast responsible for the sharp tang and deep funk found in many Belgian ales, and our WildDevil emerges completely untamed. Floral, aromatic hops still leap from this amber ale, as a host of new fermentation flavor kicks up notes of citrus and pine. Pour yourself a glass today—if you dare.
Ratings: 1,235 | Reviews: 540
3.5/5  rDev -8.4%

A: Pale orange with significant haze. Thick off-white head that clings to the glass and doesn't fade. Couldn't knock the head down if you wanted to.

S: Complex blend of fruit and Brett funk. Cherries and citrus; barnyard and baby diaper. Low spicy hop presence, and virtually no malt aroma.

T: Somewhat disappointing after the aroma. Plenty of Bretty funk, but not as sour as I was expecting or hoping for. Hop bitterness kicks in on the finish, and adds an interesting feature. Not much "beer" flavor to support the wildness.

MF: Mouth-filling effervescence, nice for this style. Body is medium-light, with a dry finish. Carbonation is somewhat prickly.

D: A pleasant, drinkable wild ale, but nothing special. Lacks the complexity of better examples.

3.24/5  rDev -15.2%

Appearance: Amazing bubbly head, Orangish hue. Major league Frothy.

Smell: Spicy nose.

Taste: My initial sip had some bite, right on the side of my tongue. This sharpness evened out after a few more sips.

Mouthfeel: Medium to thinnish body.

Drinkability: Not super smooth or balanced. For as good as this beer looked, I wished I liked the flavors and drinking it more.

Odd and Ends - Frothy head lasted to the last sip - very cool.

4.23/5  rDev +10.7%

Poured from caged & corked bottle into tulip. I'm a big fan of the standard HopDevil, so a Brett version = yes please!

A: A very gentle pour results in a towering rocky head that lasts and lasts and lasts. It took probably 5 minutes just to get a full glass. Pours a rich orange amber, a touch of haze, incredible effervescence, and very sticky lacing. Beautiful.

S: Wow this is yummy - the HopDevil base peaks through with its lovely caramel malts and floral hop character, though the Brett character is everywhere. Barnyard funk galore.

T: Outstanding. Beautiful hop character - floral and citrus with a mild bitterness sets the stage for lovely sweet Brett-infused caramel and biscuit malt character. Bittersweet aftertaste and a nice, long, smooth finish.

M: Lightish, a little creamy, with an almost mousse-like texture from the extreme carbonation. You definitely fight with the carbonation in this beer, and it's the same in the mouthfeel...maybe just a bit much.

O: While the classic HopDevil is evident behind all the Brett, this is certainly its own beer. I haven't had too many Belgian IPAs, but this is no slouch. I could go for a little more true IPA character, but it's hard to complain here.

3.78/5  rDev -1%

On tap at Victory, released very recently.

a - dark red/brown, nice white head, holds. Good pour.

s - A bit of different odors that normally expected, but in general similar to Hopdevil. Grassy, herbal hops, not much alcohol. Here though there are some slight spice-type esters barely present. They seem to come and go?

t - Is this hopdevil or wilddevil? I actually had to ask our server to confirm what he gave us. The differences are so slight. Nicely spicy hop flavors up front, smooth and balanced maltiness in the middle, and drying bitterness in the finish. After we discussed the possibility of receiving Hopdevil by accident, I really started to doubt my tastebuds, but the Brett seemed to add a bit of woodsy-ness, spice. Oh so subtile. It's maybe a little less hop-forward than Hopdevil, especially since I know this batch is most likely super fresh. Who knows, in 6 months this could be a different beer.

m - sharp from bittering hops, but appropriately balanced as well. Good CO2. Started out way too cold.

d - Very high, as is Hopdevil.

asides - I was told by the lady working in the shop that this recipe is exactly the same as hopdevil, only the yeast is different. This is the second batch and released for Philly Beer Week.

Next: (4/11/09) This is a completely different beast. I got Wild and Hopdevil side-by-side at the brewery to see if I could detect subtile differences, but these are totally different beers now. Wilddevil has a mild aroma, somewhat Belgian in nature, and the flavors to match. Large belgian aromatics up front, like a Saison or Belgian pale. Drying in the middle and finishing with a bitterness approaching astrigency or phenolic at the end. The hops aren't obvious to be honest, but I'm sure they are contributing to the mouthfeel and dryness. The belgian character which has taken over is dominant. It's quite drinkable but I wonder what it will become and how carbonated the bottles I have bought will become.

Notes: Very interesting to see the change this beer has taken in a month. Victory must have been rushed to release this for Philly Beer Week. I wonder what strain of Brett was used, and if Brett, as the primary fermenter, will superattenuate in this case. Certainly an interesting beer.

3.08/5  rDev -19.4%

Appearance: Pours a hazy, golden/amber. It's super carbonated and the bubbles are huge; a fizzy three-inch head develops and slowly recedes to a surface film that hangs around for a while. The cork came out of the bottle with no hesitation. If I didn't have my hand on it, it probably would have broken a window.

Aroma: It definitely has that "farmhouse" aspect. Complex nose with strong notes of cherry, lemon, and menthol. Generally floral, barnyardy and sweet with a funky and vinous edge. There's a medicinal/chemical off-aroma there that also reminds of me of household cleaning supplies, which isn't exactly pleasant.

Taste: Dominated by harsh bitterness; piney, resiny notes poke through. Very dry, slightly sour and moderately astringent finish. I was looking forward to an explosion of hop flavor, but it really fails to establish itself with any certainty.

Mouthfeel: Light-medium body with coarse carbonation.

Overall: Victory is trying to marry German with American with Belgian, and the beer simply doesn't convey this. I'm not picking up on a German malt character or American hops - just overpowering bittnerness, funk and off-aromas. It's a struggle to get through this bottle, even when sharing it.

4.47/5  rDev +17%

Served in a 16oz pilsner glass.

Like the HopDevil it's based on, it has a nice reddish-brown hue. It generates a sizeable head, and if not for that and the slightly finer composition of that head, you'd never know it wasn't a HopDevil just by looking at it.

Once you smell it, though, you know you've got something different here. The hop aroma is muted somewhat by the musty funk from the Brett yeast. It's bright and earthy all at once.

Wow, this is an IPA? Sure, the citrusy bitterness is there, but the yeast used in this brew brings a mellow balance to the equation. If you only consider the hops and the malts in a beer's taste profile, this beer will change your tune. It's hard to believe that this is related to the HopDevil at all. I actually prefer this wild version.

The new yeast brings with it a finer mouthfeel. It's still got the stickiness from the malts, but that stickiness is countered by the new carbonation profile. Definitely an improvement over the HopDevil.

I could drink this beer all night. Everything is so much more balanced with the funky characteristics of the Brett blending with the hops. The alcohol is well-hidden in this new recipe, too.

I've had this on-tap and from a bomber. On tap, it's a little more earthy while from the bottle it has a hint of sourness. I recommend trying both versions to see what you like better.

If I were to have one main complaint, it would be that the WildDevil, in bottle form at least, is extremely overpriced. If the only thing that's different in the recipe is the yeast, there's no excuse to charge 3x the price for a case of WilDevil over that of a HopDevil. Even at the brewery, a pint of Wild Devil is priced on par with that of a HopDevil.

All-in-all, WildDevil is the most interesting (and successful) new beer Victory has produced in a very long time. I would go so far as to say that it no longer qualifies as an American IPA anymore: the Brett completely changes the characteristics of the HopDevil it's based on. Perhaps it's better suited in the 'Belgian IPA' or even 'Wild Ale' categories.

4.42/5  rDev +15.7%

On tap at eh brew-pub. I was fortunate to get this literally minutes before it kicked.

This review is basically a comparison versus the excellent HopDevil.

A - Color is lighter and cloudier than the regular HopDevil. Head and lace are similar which is to say very good.

S - American IPA all the way. Versus the regular HopDevil the aroma is very similar, though I found it to be not a hop forward.

T - Still very similar to the original, though again I think slightly smoother and less forward. The real difference is in the finish, the brett comes through with a slightly sour ending and a bit of funk. I am a fan of the original but this improves upon it, doesn't just change it.

M - A bit fuller bodied than the original even though the carbonation seems to have suffered a bit. Very nice.

D - I was less than halfway through this when another in my party ordered one and was told they were out. I can't begin to describe how much I wanted another...

3.32/5  rDev -13.1%

A - Reddish, slightly golden coloring; thick, long-lasting head which was light in color

S - Hops definitely present, however, it moves to a sweeter, citrus nose

T - Sweet-to-hoppy-to-funky taste. Citrus was present throughout that long transition. While the variety of taste was remarkable, none of it stood out

M - Moderate carbonation, not spectacular. A mild funkiness lingered

D - Very drinkable, taste does change in subtle ways the more I drink

4.57/5  rDev +19.6%

Bottle

Think Orval (the balance) + Jolly Pumpkin (the funk) + Stone (the hops). Brettastic, bitter, just slightly less dry than you'd expect. It would be extremely easy to put away a few of these.

This was bottled on 3/3/09. When decorked, there was a blast of american hops - that was the last time they showed their aroma. Poured a cloudy golden red, and the head kept growing over a minute or so, but very slowly - strange.

From then on it was a bitter brett masterpiece. There was some malt flavors in there, but who cares. Drink this thing now!!

Not much funk in my bottle. If anything it had a slight lemon flavor and it was kinda like you had a penny in your mouth too. The hops were nice and it was a smooth drinking ale. I enjoyed it, it just wasn't what I thought it would be.

4.63/5  rDev +21.2%

upon popping open the cork of this ale I poured into a ballon glass and was met by a wonderous ruby red slightly hazy beer with a huge frothy cream colored head. Very effervesient with apparent over carbonation....At this point I brought my nose to the glass only to be jetted back in time, I began to imagine what the sailors who popped open the original IPAs might have smelled and hoped it was like this. Very nice citrus notes and apricot are backed by the smell of the wild, rustic, horsehair, wild mushrooms and freshly tilled soil.

I patiently waited for the head to reduce so I could sip....A snappy tart bitterness is the first hit on the tongue, but this ale is remarkably mellow and smooth on the finish. Grapefruit, honey, tangerine, and strangely bok choy are the flavors coming through for me, the beer is so quenching, but I find it almost impossible to truly put my finger on the great wild yeast flavors that are so so complex and warming. Mouthfeel is nice, semi thin, but it makes this beer very quaffable.

Overall, I am so glad I picked up a bottle of this stuff. I am just starting to venture into wild ales and this one makes me want to continue to try more and more. Great stuff

3.14/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Sorry to hate on Victory, I like Victory brews but... I just had Saison-Brett which is by far the best Brett beer I've had.

Poured into NB Snifter via Baltimore.

A - Darker than expected, with thick foamy head.
S - Funky Belgian with some hops.
T - Grassy hops, Dry Tripel-like (but for 6.7% I expect wet), Brett funk.
M/D - Good carbonation but a little hard to get down.

Edited to bring this below the B average. The guy who just reviewed above me said he couldn't finish the bottle and neither could I. How do you give a beer a B- when you can't drink it.

4.22/5  rDev +10.5%

mmm, heard about it, time to form my own opinion.

1/2 inch head sticks in till the end. pockets of lacing remain

Huge head, high carbonation, smells like brett and citrus, a wee bit o' dry funk, man, reminding me of Orval of course. Psyched.

Crisp carbonation, tastes earthy yet very different. Trying to pick out the hops. Guessing from what they say, one can assume west coast. But the brett really mellows out the hop bite, quite nicely. finishes floral, dry and slightly bitter, lingering layer of delicious piney-bretty resin. 100% brett, all the way. 1/2 inch head sticks in till the end. pockets of lacing remain.

I've heard people get angry about the whole Belgian IPA style, but this to me seems like it could just as well go next to an orval. not as intriguing, but definitely the most interesting American "Belgian Ipa" ive had... will be purchasing again. No more fermenting these types with Trappist or Duvel yeasts... keep it funky ,and the hops will end up hugging your taste buds.

3.55/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 25.4 oz bottle into std pint glass. Bottled on date of June 11, 2014. Had this beer on tap at the Mohegan Sun Brewfest and it was among my favorites. Finally located a bottle and had to get it. The bottle did not live up to my memory. Poured a nice, slightly hazy, copper color with a large head. Head retention is excellent maintaining a good half inch throughout. Light to medium lacing. Very Brett forward aroma and strong in the flavor. Well-balanced mouthfeel with a tiny bit of bitter finish. Again, not as nice overall as I remembered on tap, but still a pretty good and interesting beer. Victory always does a good job.

4.34/5  rDev +13.6%

A-Beautful rust/amber color with a thick tan foam that aderes to the glass. Beer is opaque but not cloudy.
S-I couldn't get too much on the nose..not sure if my sniffer is broken or if the beer just doesn't have much. Did, of course get the piney hop smell that one would expect from a Belgian IPA.
T-What the smell lacked, the taste totally made up for. Nice hop zing, with a nutty flavor and carmelized sugar and fruit.
M-Oily hop feel, but nice overall.
D-Definitely could have a few of these - nice zing, but doesn't totallly take your tastebuds out of commission.

3.4/5  rDev -11%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Bottled in 2009 and held by brewery and re-distributed, then bought in 2014. Amber/orange.

A- Pours the biggest bubbly foam head I've ever seen right out of the bottle.

S- Yeasty and sour. hoppy too. candied oranges. Wild.

T- Similar to the smell really. Some sour notes from the yeast action. The hops has really mellowed out. I hope others review this delayed/aged re-release because I don't think I'm doing it justice with this review. But it's a pretty exciting/interesting beer.

M- Very bubbly and fizzy in the mouth.

O- I thought about getting some hop devil (which I haven't had yet, though I loved V's Hop Fresh) to taste alongside this one but this beer stands on its own as completely unique from the original Hop Devil. It is indeed wild, and I'm glad I tried it.

3.27/5  rDev -14.4%

Appearance: Dark amber beer with pretty heavy condensation and a very thick head on the pour. Relatively see through beer. This goes against what the description says.

Smell: Lots of hops were used to brew this beer, it has a moderate floral aroma. Smells great.

Taste: Very hoppy, i do enjoy the taste of this beer except i think its pretty average. Nothing sticks out to me.

Mouthfeel: Light beer with not much condensation makes this very drinkable.

Overall: I could see myself drinking this beer again. I would recommend this, but i would make sure to say it is average at best.

3.03/5  rDev -20.7%

After a little scare of the top completely shooting off and the bottle overflowing, this thing settles down enough for me to pour this amber tangerine dream. a cappuccino foam head has some great staying power.

I don't know what I was expecting, but this is a combo of a belgian sweet earthiness and some american hoppy notes. Has a little mustiness in the background too, which is interesting. Gives it a little touch of unrefinement.

I honestly don't know what to make of this. I get the feeling that everything that was in battle in the nose washes out and battles each other. Just seems like a softer version of Hop Devil, really. Not quite as brash, but I'd like a little more sweetness to balance it out a bit.

moderate to high carbonation gives a nice tickle. high drinkability, but all the flavor does is confuse me. I'm not opposed to drinking this, but I'm not excited to be drinking it either. I won't be getting this again.

4.2/5  rDev +9.9%

Wow what an awesome beer. If you liked superfriends this one should be right up ur ally.... something about hoppiness and funkyness really gets me going... look clear golden color. smells hoppy and funky. tastes sweet, than bitter, than a little tart. the combonation of hops and the brett fermentation is really great. i wish BA had a section for IPA's with Brett. Since they get mixed in with the categories Belgian and American IPAs.

4.32/5  rDev +13.1%

750 poured into an imperial pint glass.

Pours a pretty cloudy but gorgeous reddish amber...that is, once the foam settled. I poured a glass for myself and my wife and BOTH nearly overflowed and yes I DO know how to pour a beer! The nose is really funky with lots of grassy barnyard with a bit of caramel in the background. Very nice medium body with a LOT of flavor. That spicy Belgian barnyard funkiness seems to dominate. There's also a touch of citrus that give way to a very nice, dry, bitter funky finish. The more I taste, the more intrigued I become with this complex flavor. It's a really great combination of so many regional ingredients. It might be too funky for every occasion, but I love it!

3.77/5  rDev -1.3%

I am quite confused on the style classification of this one. I had thought it was HopDevil with Brett. Not sure how adding the brett changes it from an APA to a BPA....but whatever.

Served in my beautiful DFH snifter, shared with Roopy40

Big white foamy fluffy head that snow-coned up out of the snifter. Hazy dark orange with some sticky legs all over the glass.

Barnyard and lemon pledge, with a wet wood/earthy smell to it as well. Nice sweet smell in there to counter the donkey.

Taste is not something I hated, but not something I was over the moon about either. It grew on me though. All of the bitterness of HopDevil but with a dry fruity barnyard wash on the end. Some peppery sharpness in there as well. Makes me wish I had a nice piece of steak with a blue cheese butter to go with it.

I think it was a little overcarbonated. Tingly like pop rocks and soda in my mouth. Very dry and enjoyable. Bitterness lasted a bit on the tongue though.

I commend Victory for this beer. Definitely not the norm. I really enjoyed the extremes of this one. lots of complexity and layers to this. The more I drank it and the warmer it got, the more I enjoyed it.
I plan on grabbing a few more at this price and letting them age a bit, should be interesting...

3.73/5  rDev -2.4%

Got a big bottle from Varga, poured into a couple of snifters.

Appearance - Pours a nice amber in color with a huge, foamy off-white head. I could barely get any beer in my glass because of the head.

Taste - Hoppy, but with subtle hints of both earthy and sweet malty smells.

Taste - This is a very interesting beer. It's hoppy and bitter while also dry and crisp and tart. It is also very different from Hop Devil and shows how much of a role in brewing yeast plays.

Mouthfeel - The body is solid, and goes down pretty smoothly.

Drinkability - Overall this is a great beer. It's a funky IPA: A beer with a new layer of complexity. I would still probably prefer HopDevil over this.

2.93/5  rDev -23.3%

A - Amber/ orange colored brew. Abundant long-lasting foam.

S- citrusy, hops, a little of that rodenbach funkiness. Tried and tried but can't pin it down right now. Can smell the yeast.

t-hoppy, sour, a bit like a gueuze but hoppier. Some bitterness too. Like a pale ale mixes with a gueuze. Not much malt presence though. Long lasting, mouth puckering sourness, but not much complexity? No sweetness. A bit crazy and young tasting, like some home-brew I've had. Doesn't feel balanced. Feels like this wild devil needs to be tamed for a bit longer. Yeast flavor is strong.

m- fine

d- thirst quenching, but tastes a bit too uneven, bitter and sour so you can't drink much.

4.42/5  rDev +15.7%

A: amber/orange color with a nice finger thick head that remained

S: hops, citrus, and that sour wild yeast smell that I have come to love, reminds me of those great Russian River beers like Supplication

T: you can really taste the wild yeast which gives the beer a nice sour flavor, and it has a bitter/hoppy/citrus backbone like your typically IPA which is a good compliment

M: very smooth and light bodied for an IPA, and I also got a carbonated sensation on my tongue which I attribute more to the sourness than anything

D: wild ales are one of my favorite beers so I had to try this one as it sounded like an interesting mix (IPA + Wild yeast) and I am also also a huge Victory fan...and it did not disappoint

3.98/5  rDev +4.2%

I like Victory and love Hop Devil, so after I got over the $9.00 (1 pint) price tag, I bought it. It had a date on the label which read: BOTTLED MARCH 3, 2009. I love it when they post the date, honestly helped me decide to buy it.

A: Bottle conditioned, reddish, amber color usually associated with a double IPA. There were tons of "floatie" things swirling around, but I didn't care.

S: Slight sense of alcohol, and smelled similar to a Belgian Ale, with extra hops. Certainly didn't smell like a straight IPA.

T: Complex, bitter, piney hops up front, with a pleasant after taste of spice, typical of a belgian. I read on the bottle that they use a belgian yeast, which gave it that belgian vibe.

M: Bitter, medium carbonation, sort of shocks the senses at first but finishes smooth, with warming alcohol.

D: At $9.00 a pint, haha not very drinkable. It had a great flavor, which is worth trying. I wish they would release this as a six pack or reduce the price. I would drink this again, if someone else was buying. I always spend good money for good beer, I get it, but still $9 for 1 pint, not in this economy.

Wild Devil from Victory Brewing Company