Wild Devil - Victory Brewing Company

pDev: 20%
Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Beer added by: Kadonny on 05-08-2008

It’s arguable that our menacingly delicious HopDevil has always been wild. With bold German malts and whole flower American hops, this India Pale Ale is anything but prim. But add a touch of brettanomyces, the unruly beast responsible for the sharp tang and deep funk found in many Belgian ales, and our WildDevil emerges completely untamed. Floral, aromatic hops still leap from this amber ale, as a host of new fermentation flavor kicks up notes of citrus and pine. Pour yourself a glass today—if you dare.
Reviews: 528 | Hads: 1,251
4.57/5  rDev +18.7%

Think Orval (the balance) + Jolly Pumpkin (the funk) + Stone (the hops). Brettastic, bitter, just slightly less dry than you'd expect. It would be extremely easy to put away a few of these.

This was bottled on 3/3/09. When decorked, there was a blast of american hops - that was the last time they showed their aroma. Poured a cloudy golden red, and the head kept growing over a minute or so, but very slowly - strange.

From then on it was a bitter brett masterpiece. There was some malt flavors in there, but who cares. Drink this thing now!!

Not much funk in my bottle. If anything it had a slight lemon flavor and it was kinda like you had a penny in your mouth too. The hops were nice and it was a smooth drinking ale. I enjoyed it, it just wasn't what I thought it would be.

4.63/5  rDev +20.3%

upon popping open the cork of this ale I poured into a ballon glass and was met by a wonderous ruby red slightly hazy beer with a huge frothy cream colored head. Very effervesient with apparent over carbonation....At this point I brought my nose to the glass only to be jetted back in time, I began to imagine what the sailors who popped open the original IPAs might have smelled and hoped it was like this. Very nice citrus notes and apricot are backed by the smell of the wild, rustic, horsehair, wild mushrooms and freshly tilled soil.

I patiently waited for the head to reduce so I could sip....A snappy tart bitterness is the first hit on the tongue, but this ale is remarkably mellow and smooth on the finish. Grapefruit, honey, tangerine, and strangely bok choy are the flavors coming through for me, the beer is so quenching, but I find it almost impossible to truly put my finger on the great wild yeast flavors that are so so complex and warming. Mouthfeel is nice, semi thin, but it makes this beer very quaffable.

Overall, I am so glad I picked up a bottle of this stuff. I am just starting to venture into wild ales and this one makes me want to continue to try more and more. Great stuff

3.14/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Sorry to hate on Victory, I like Victory brews but... I just had Saison-Brett which is by far the best Brett beer I've had.

Poured into NB Snifter via Baltimore.

A - Darker than expected, with thick foamy head.
S - Funky Belgian with some hops.
T - Grassy hops, Dry Tripel-like (but for 6.7% I expect wet), Brett funk.
M/D - Good carbonation but a little hard to get down.

Edited to bring this below the B average. The guy who just reviewed above me said he couldn't finish the bottle and neither could I. How do you give a beer a B- when you can't drink it.

4.22/5  rDev +9.6%

mmm, heard about it, time to form my own opinion.

1/2 inch head sticks in till the end. pockets of lacing remain

Huge head, high carbonation, smells like brett and citrus, a wee bit o' dry funk, man, reminding me of Orval of course. Psyched.

Crisp carbonation, tastes earthy yet very different. Trying to pick out the hops. Guessing from what they say, one can assume west coast. But the brett really mellows out the hop bite, quite nicely. finishes floral, dry and slightly bitter, lingering layer of delicious piney-bretty resin. 100% brett, all the way. 1/2 inch head sticks in till the end. pockets of lacing remain.

I've heard people get angry about the whole Belgian IPA style, but this to me seems like it could just as well go next to an orval. not as intriguing, but definitely the most interesting American "Belgian Ipa" ive had... will be purchasing again. No more fermenting these types with Trappist or Duvel yeasts... keep it funky ,and the hops will end up hugging your taste buds.

3.4/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Bottled in 2009 and held by brewery and re-distributed, then bought in 2014. Amber/orange.

A- Pours the biggest bubbly foam head I've ever seen right out of the bottle.

S- Yeasty and sour. hoppy too. candied oranges. Wild.

T- Similar to the smell really. Some sour notes from the yeast action. The hops has really mellowed out. I hope others review this delayed/aged re-release because I don't think I'm doing it justice with this review. But it's a pretty exciting/interesting beer.

M- Very bubbly and fizzy in the mouth.

O- I thought about getting some hop devil (which I haven't had yet, though I loved V's Hop Fresh) to taste alongside this one but this beer stands on its own as completely unique from the original Hop Devil. It is indeed wild, and I'm glad I tried it.

3.03/5  rDev -21.3%

After a little scare of the top completely shooting off and the bottle overflowing, this thing settles down enough for me to pour this amber tangerine dream. a cappuccino foam head has some great staying power.

I don't know what I was expecting, but this is a combo of a belgian sweet earthiness and some american hoppy notes. Has a little mustiness in the background too, which is interesting. Gives it a little touch of unrefinement.

I honestly don't know what to make of this. I get the feeling that everything that was in battle in the nose washes out and battles each other. Just seems like a softer version of Hop Devil, really. Not quite as brash, but I'd like a little more sweetness to balance it out a bit.

moderate to high carbonation gives a nice tickle. high drinkability, but all the flavor does is confuse me. I'm not opposed to drinking this, but I'm not excited to be drinking it either. I won't be getting this again.

4.34/5  rDev +12.7%

A-Beautful rust/amber color with a thick tan foam that aderes to the glass. Beer is opaque but not cloudy.
S-I couldn't get too much on the nose..not sure if my sniffer is broken or if the beer just doesn't have much. Did, of course get the piney hop smell that one would expect from a Belgian IPA.
T-What the smell lacked, the taste totally made up for. Nice hop zing, with a nutty flavor and carmelized sugar and fruit.
M-Oily hop feel, but nice overall.
D-Definitely could have a few of these - nice zing, but doesn't totallly take your tastebuds out of commission.

3.27/5  rDev -15.1%

Appearance: Dark amber beer with pretty heavy condensation and a very thick head on the pour. Relatively see through beer. This goes against what the description says.

Smell: Lots of hops were used to brew this beer, it has a moderate floral aroma. Smells great.

Taste: Very hoppy, i do enjoy the taste of this beer except i think its pretty average. Nothing sticks out to me.

Mouthfeel: Light beer with not much condensation makes this very drinkable.

Overall: I could see myself drinking this beer again. I would recommend this, but i would make sure to say it is average at best.

4.2/5  rDev +9.1%

Wow what an awesome beer. If you liked superfriends this one should be right up ur ally.... something about hoppiness and funkyness really gets me going... look clear golden color. smells hoppy and funky. tastes sweet, than bitter, than a little tart. the combonation of hops and the brett fermentation is really great. i wish BA had a section for IPA's with Brett. Since they get mixed in with the categories Belgian and American IPAs.

4.32/5  rDev +12.2%

750 poured into an imperial pint glass.

Pours a pretty cloudy but gorgeous reddish amber...that is, once the foam settled. I poured a glass for myself and my wife and BOTH nearly overflowed and yes I DO know how to pour a beer! The nose is really funky with lots of grassy barnyard with a bit of caramel in the background. Very nice medium body with a LOT of flavor. That spicy Belgian barnyard funkiness seems to dominate. There's also a touch of citrus that give way to a very nice, dry, bitter funky finish. The more I taste, the more intrigued I become with this complex flavor. It's a really great combination of so many regional ingredients. It might be too funky for every occasion, but I love it!

3.77/5  rDev -2.1%

I am quite confused on the style classification of this one. I had thought it was HopDevil with Brett. Not sure how adding the brett changes it from an APA to a BPA....but whatever.

Served in my beautiful DFH snifter, shared with Roopy40

Big white foamy fluffy head that snow-coned up out of the snifter. Hazy dark orange with some sticky legs all over the glass.

Barnyard and lemon pledge, with a wet wood/earthy smell to it as well. Nice sweet smell in there to counter the donkey.

Taste is not something I hated, but not something I was over the moon about either. It grew on me though. All of the bitterness of HopDevil but with a dry fruity barnyard wash on the end. Some peppery sharpness in there as well. Makes me wish I had a nice piece of steak with a blue cheese butter to go with it.

I think it was a little overcarbonated. Tingly like pop rocks and soda in my mouth. Very dry and enjoyable. Bitterness lasted a bit on the tongue though.

I commend Victory for this beer. Definitely not the norm. I really enjoyed the extremes of this one. lots of complexity and layers to this. The more I drank it and the warmer it got, the more I enjoyed it.
I plan on grabbing a few more at this price and letting them age a bit, should be interesting...

3.73/5  rDev -3.1%

Got a big bottle from Varga, poured into a couple of snifters.

Appearance - Pours a nice amber in color with a huge, foamy off-white head. I could barely get any beer in my glass because of the head.

Taste - Hoppy, but with subtle hints of both earthy and sweet malty smells.

Taste - This is a very interesting beer. It's hoppy and bitter while also dry and crisp and tart. It is also very different from Hop Devil and shows how much of a role in brewing yeast plays.

Mouthfeel - The body is solid, and goes down pretty smoothly.

Drinkability - Overall this is a great beer. It's a funky IPA: A beer with a new layer of complexity. I would still probably prefer HopDevil over this.

2.93/5  rDev -23.9%

A - Amber/ orange colored brew. Abundant long-lasting foam.

S- citrusy, hops, a little of that rodenbach funkiness. Tried and tried but can't pin it down right now. Can smell the yeast.

t-hoppy, sour, a bit like a gueuze but hoppier. Some bitterness too. Like a pale ale mixes with a gueuze. Not much malt presence though. Long lasting, mouth puckering sourness, but not much complexity? No sweetness. A bit crazy and young tasting, like some home-brew I've had. Doesn't feel balanced. Feels like this wild devil needs to be tamed for a bit longer. Yeast flavor is strong.

m- fine

d- thirst quenching, but tastes a bit too uneven, bitter and sour so you can't drink much.

4.42/5  rDev +14.8%

A: amber/orange color with a nice finger thick head that remained

S: hops, citrus, and that sour wild yeast smell that I have come to love, reminds me of those great Russian River beers like Supplication

T: you can really taste the wild yeast which gives the beer a nice sour flavor, and it has a bitter/hoppy/citrus backbone like your typically IPA which is a good compliment

M: very smooth and light bodied for an IPA, and I also got a carbonated sensation on my tongue which I attribute more to the sourness than anything

D: wild ales are one of my favorite beers so I had to try this one as it sounded like an interesting mix (IPA + Wild yeast) and I am also also a huge Victory fan...and it did not disappoint

3.98/5  rDev +3.4%

I like Victory and love Hop Devil, so after I got over the $9.00 (1 pint) price tag, I bought it. It had a date on the label which read: BOTTLED MARCH 3, 2009. I love it when they post the date, honestly helped me decide to buy it.

A: Bottle conditioned, reddish, amber color usually associated with a double IPA. There were tons of "floatie" things swirling around, but I didn't care.

S: Slight sense of alcohol, and smelled similar to a Belgian Ale, with extra hops. Certainly didn't smell like a straight IPA.

T: Complex, bitter, piney hops up front, with a pleasant after taste of spice, typical of a belgian. I read on the bottle that they use a belgian yeast, which gave it that belgian vibe.

M: Bitter, medium carbonation, sort of shocks the senses at first but finishes smooth, with warming alcohol.

D: At $9.00 a pint, haha not very drinkable. It had a great flavor, which is worth trying. I wish they would release this as a six pack or reduce the price. I would drink this again, if someone else was buying. I always spend good money for good beer, I get it, but still $9 for 1 pint, not in this economy.

3.48/5  rDev -9.6%

A-Poured a hazy golden copper collor with a huge tan head.

S-Brett right off the top with subtle pine notes from the hops.

T-Bitter hop notes with a tangy barnyard brett finish. (I would really love to ry this again in a few years when the brett has has more time to come out.)

M-Way over carbonated to my own personel taste.

D-With current carbonation levels i don't think i could do more that one of these.

2.99/5  rDev -22.3%

this was a tough one to review. there's been a lot of split opinions on this beer and it's an unusual style.

pours an off amber/blonde with immense creamy head.
smells quite strongly of belgian funk from the brettanomyces yeast.

on paper this is a cool idea. victory's basically taken the hopdevil and used german malts and super aggressive belgian yeast. the result???

my problem is that the taste just doesn't follow the intriguing nose. the brett funk is super strong and completely dominates, destroying the hop profile. hats off to victory for trying to tackle this, unfortunately it just didn't work for me.

the dudes at Great Divide Brewing brew a better version of this.

3.35/5  rDev -13%

Opened a 750ml bottled and pour into a wheat beer glass that held most of the bottle's pour. Amber color body with a creamy white head that lasted longer then one would think, a bit hazy though.
Had the aroma of a barnyard horse blanket next to a field of fresh cut green grass; floral and complex. Sweet aroma undertones with a hint of tart yeastiness.
Sweet malty with the must of the Brett yeast strain, but the complex all hits at once and lingers to a dry clean finish; the spicy and grassy notes drop off and my tongue search for the hoppiness that seemed to of only kissed the beer.
Pretty full bodied beer with a semi-high carbonation level that almost works for the style. Great beer concept, but it seem all too safe in practice. I want more hop! More FUNK! I guess one can not have cake and pie, it's either one or the other for this style and something was lost with the marriage the two.
A good fresh treat, but a bit pricy for what it is; but one should try it for themselves!

3.2/5  rDev -16.9%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a standard pint glass.

Appearance - Poured a very thick, large bubble head. Even when poured down the side of the glass. Hazy golden amber color. Head is yellowish/white with good lacing.

Smell - Strong spice notes really over power the hops that would be expected from this Belgian IPA. Slight citrus smell well hidden behind the spices.

Taste - First thing you taste is that "belgian" spice note, but then the hops come up right behind to give it a nice bitter ending. Well balanced flavor, leaning a little more to the sweetness expected from a Belgian Tripel. Seems to capture the best of both styles.

Mouthfeel - Has a good carbonation level, which gives it a tingle on the tongue. This is something I like with a Belgian farmhouse.

Drinkability - I wouldn't be able to drink much of this due to its sweetness, but thats because I am a hophead. The bitterness at the end is nice, but not enough for my taste. The first couple of sips were the best.

I would recommend this beer, more to a Belgian beer drinker then to an IPA fan. If you like them bitter and in your face, then you may not like the sweetness of this beer.

3.45/5  rDev -10.4%

Corked and caged bottle pops open with a satisfying pop. Poured into a pint glass (I should probably upgrade my glassware but I've got what I've got).

Appearance: Enormous white fluffy head with great retention. At one point I had at least a finger and a half's worth of head above the top of my glass. The beer itself is an orange hazy color. Good lacing as I start to drink.

Smell: Strong brett nose. Part of the reason I got this beer was so that I could separate the brett from the other yeasts and bacteria that go into the lambics/wild ales I've tried so far. I guess if I try to imagine a barnyard without that cow shit smell I'd get something close to this, so I get that barnyard thing now. Perhaps some citrusy hops coming through as well, but it may be a lemony brett character. Whichever it is, it makes a wonderful subtle entrance at the very end of my sniff.

Taste: There's some hop bitterness up front, and a hint of floral flavors, but not much hop presence. It's at this point that I realized my bottle is 13 months old. I'll have to revisit this when I can find it fresh and see what I think. Nevertheless, after the hop bitterness comes a nice brett character and that same subtle finish from the aroma that might be the lemony brett or citrusy hops. As it warms I get more hop flavor up front.

Mouthfeel: I think this is a good beer overall, but the mouthfeel is probably it's biggest detractor. Most good beers, especially lambics/wilds linger in a good way after you take a sip, but this one does not for me. I think the carbonation level is good though.

Drinkability: Reasonable drinkability. I'd probably prefer to split my bomber if I could, but I'll be able to finish it for sure.

4.52/5  rDev +17.4%

22oz bottle coaxed into my Piraat snifter. Mahogany brown, 2" shaving cream head that settled into a thin white line. Slightly coarse mouthfeel, hoppy initialy, with a lingering dank aftertaste. Wonderful fusion of an IPA and Belgian, delightfully different, delicous, and sessionable with only a 6.7abv. Victory hits another one out of the park!

3.69/5  rDev -4.2%

750mL bottle poured into a wide mug.

A: Hazy copper with a thick cappuccino head. Huge bubbles, nice lacing.

S: The combination of hops and funk is a little weird. Nothing about the smell is jumping out and telling me that I want to drink the beer, but it's not off-putting, really.

T: It took me awhile to get anywhere with this beer. I had to try it a couple of times. My initial impression was a combination of band-aids and neosporin. Medicine, and not the kind you should actually be tasting. The first one was a drainpour. But after some time, I've come back to it and I'm finding myself really enjoying it. The initial flavor is citrusy with some underlying sweetness. It's quite sharp, and big kind of like a double IPA. Throughout is this odd flavor that can only be the yeast. It's unique and a little spicy, and it fades into the bitter finish. At worst, at least it doesn't taste like band-aids and neosporin anymore, but the more I drink this the more I enjoy it.

M: Medium, lots of carbonation. It's a little dry but not full of alcohol. The lingering feel on the finish is a vaguely funky bitterness.

D: I enjoy this, but I'm probably only good for one or two glasses in a row. It'd be nice to slip in a Saison Dupont or Hennepin between servings.

4.6/5  rDev +19.5%

So, I picked up a bottle of this baby today, but unfortunately cannot figure out when it was bottled. There seems to be a bottled on/best by or something on it, but it's unreadable, saying something akin to 20(half circle)(omega). Upon undoing the wire and popping the cap off, I barely touched the cork and it exploded. A good 10 minutes of nonstop head pouring out of the bottle later, I could sit down and enjoy the beverage. Even after that ludicrous amount of foam, it poured with 2/3 head.

Smell: A bouquet of brett and citrus hops greeted me, but they were not overpowering. It had an uncommonly clean nose for a brett brew.

Taste: A delightfully balanced, but potent, taste of brett sourness and strong hops creates a flavor unlike any I've found before. There is enough sweetness to give this complex flavor some backbone and hold it together, but the funk and hops are what stay prominent. There is a bit of bitterness at first taste, but that quickly fades into the glorious citric, with a dash of herbal, hop flavor and musty, sour brett, integrated into a singular taste.

The rest: The bubbliness retained through the entire drinking process, even through both glasses of the bomber. Keeping that in mind, it drinks smoothly and I could easily drink more if I had more.

4.45/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

The color is very hazy and tan. The smell is of sourness almost a gouze smell in there and hops of course. Taste is very hoppy at first but it leaves quickly followed by some citrus and then the sourness. Very good, alcohol hidden well, one of the best of Victory's beers.

Wild Devil from Victory Brewing Company