Wild Devil - Victory Brewing Company

Wild DevilWild Devil

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American IPA w/ Brettanomyces.

(Beer added by: Kadonny on 05-08-2008)
3.25/5  rDev -15.1%

A-Pours a hazy gold/amber. A moderate pour produced a monumental foamy white head that overwhelmed my tulip.

S-earthy, yeasty, a bit of hops and spice.

T-Fruity, with a malty sweetness and a bit of floral hops.

M-Very harsh carbonation (as you'd expect from the mammoth head) made it unpleasant. A bit thin as well.

D-I couldn't finish the bomber. The carbonation was too much.

If you like Belgians and sharp carbonation, you'll probably get into this one. But it was a bit much for me.

I give it credit as a true representative of the style in A, S & T, but the mouthfeel and drinkability just weren't there.

Lerxst, Mar 20, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +13.6%

Pours a nice amber in color with a huge, foamy off-white head. I could barely get any beer in my glass because of the head.

The smell is hoppy, earthy and tart. Distinctly Belgian.

This is a very interesting beer. It's hoppy and bitter while also dry and crisp and tart. It is also very different from Hop Devil and shows how much of a role in brewing yeast plays.

The body is solid.

Overall this is a great beer. It's a funky IPA: A beer with a new layer of complexity.

Shaw, Mar 15, 2010
3.88/5  rDev +1.3%

Victory Wild Devil Ale... 6.7% alcohol with Brett added to the IPA. Strange indeed.
Poured into oversized St. Fruillien wine glass.

A- Wild is right! On a moderate pour, foamy head exceeded top of glass and got all over the damn place. On a more review like note the head is a two and a half inch yeasty froth with little to show its going anywhere other than where it is. Thick pillows of lacing coat the glass with vigor. Dark orange fluid with a slight haze...

S- Smell is a heavy dose of Brett. Wet blanket, sour hay and fruity vines. Some bittersweet hops are hinted in the back of the nose.

T-M- Complex and simple at the same time. Upfront is a big wild yeast hit that is almost instantly followed by hop bite. Fresh hop bitterness is evenly balanced with sour Brett making a medley of bitter sourness. Nice. Flavors are fresh green grass, Brett, lemongrass, light malt and alcohol esters. Mouthfeel is a light carbonated heated Ipa with thick funk to slowly slide down the tongue.

D- I like this one but has a lot going on for a Belgian Ipa. I love the sour funk as well as the hop bitterness... but together? A smooth mixture for testing just strange though.
(3/16/2010)
Note: Just opened a second Wild Devil and head is much more tame by an inch... must have had a little more Brett before?

wesbrownyeah, Mar 12, 2010
3.9/5  rDev +1.8%

Be careful, my bottle had some pressure, and was a bit of a gusher

A- Poured into snifter... starts with a huge head that pillows well above the rim of the glass and lingers for a while, sticking to the walls of the glass as it slowly recedes. Beer is a murky amber color with light activity

S- A semi sweet aroma with a huge presence of Brett

T- Mildly hoppy from start to finish, less belgian sweetness than I expected

M- Despite the huge head, somewhat light in the carbonation department with medium body

D- Not really one of my favorite styles, but tasty none the less. Probably won't buy another, but wouldn't turn down someone buying me one...

CHEERS!!

bbeane, Mar 12, 2010
3.8/5  rDev -0.8%

Pours a deep, deep gold with strong orange hints. Big, frothy head on my Tripel Karmeliet tulip. Huge bubbles throughout the head.

Very strong yeast presence in the nose, as expected. Banana bread and cloves are all over this one. There are complex layers of spices underneath that initial tier, though.

Hit is very cloying. Finish is not much better, but some fruitiness kicks in - mainly with unripe cherries. These wild ales are definitely an acquired taste. In 30 years of beer drinking, I haven't acquired mine yet.

Body is slightly fizzy and slightly thicker than expected.

For the style, I don't think this is a bad beer. Just not my favorite style.

beer2day, Mar 10, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +15.7%

Poured into a Brooklyn Flute, no bottled on date or best by date on this particular bottle, but it is definitely a 2009 bottle based on purchase date. Hazy golden amber, about 9 or so SRM, big rocky effervescent foam stand. Head is slightly off white.

Aromas are big fruity mix of hops and brett. Lemon citrus, lemon rind, pink grapefruit. Spicy floral. Some faint sweetness remains, light biscuit note and a little pure cane sugar character. Substantially different from Hop Devil. Some pomegranate and peach.

Flavor is flush with peach, mango, lemon and grapefruit. Faint amounts of malt sweetness, notes of chardonnay and earthy oak like notes. The fruity yeast induced esters and hops dominate the palate. Tart sharp bitterness.

The mouthfeel is noticeably thinner than Hop Devil as to be expected. Finish is very dry and refreshing.

Very drinkable and certainly a good warm weather quaffer. Brett done extremely well.

PBoegel, Mar 08, 2010
4.22/5  rDev +10.2%

Pours a hazy, copper-orange with a big, bubble-bath like head that settles slowly and leaves a moderate amount of lace.

Aroma is very intriguing. Notes of orange, and citrus, along with some interesting spiciness- something like licorice and a zesty herbal character.

The flavor is also something interesting. Though there is some crisp hop flavor, most of the flavor is dominated by these herb and spice notes. Some sweetness from the malt, followed by a moderately dry bitterness that lingers in the finish.

Mouthfeel is medium, with lots of carbonation, and a slight warmth from the alcohol.

Overall, this is an interesting drink. The hop flavor helps it to be refreshing, and the spiciness of the yeast creates a unique character that would go well with a good meal.

endincolorado, Mar 05, 2010
2.35/5  rDev -38.6%

Appearance: Amber, Large decent head

Smell: spicey, farm

Taste: Sharp, funky, wheaty flavor

Mouthfeel: Medium

Drinkability: Okay. Not sure if I enjoy the wild ales but this beer seemed decent and according to the reviews there is a market for it.

DennisD, Mar 04, 2010
4.5/5  rDev +17.5%

Pours a clear amber gold with a sudsy head that lasts to the end, leaving ample lacing on the glass.

Refreshing smells of brown sugar green hops, wet hay, and a little horseblanket.

Sweet malt flavors with lemony citrus and fresh bread/biscuit notes. The sweet malt flavors interact with the citrus on the palate to make the taste quite interesting. Ends dry with bitterness that is also a bit salty. The Brett used is working nicely with the citrus hops to create a mild acid dimension that is perfectly balanced by the German malts.

Mouthfeel is mildly thick and creamy, yet very refreshing due to the citrus/Brett acidity and the fine prickly carbonation. At 6.7 ABV, this is a beer I could drink all day at a summer picnic with German pretzels and mustard and be quite happy.

Beerenauslese, Mar 02, 2010
3.2/5  rDev -16.4%

Appearance: Amazing bubbly head, Orangish hue. Major league Frothy.

Smell: Spicy nose.

Taste: My initial sip had some bite, right on the side of my tongue. This sharpness evened out after a few more sips.

Mouthfeel: Medium to thinnish body.

Drinkability: Not super smooth or balanced. For as good as this beer looked, I wished I liked the flavors and drinking it more.

Odd and Ends - Frothy head lasted to the last sip - very cool.

jjh19, Feb 27, 2010
3.98/5  rDev +3.9%

Poured into New Belgium Globe glass.

I have had this fresh on tap and let this bottle sit to see what would happen to the brett. Here goes nothing.

Cork comes off with a loud pop and gushes out a bit.

Pours a massive amount of head. I poured it slowly and the head rose up very fast. Over four fingers of khaki head. Finally fades down and I can get at this one. Leaves some rings and splattered lace. Color is a orange hued burnt copper.

Aroma: Tons of funk. The brett seemed to have develop nicely, maybe overpowering the ipa components. Has the barnyard funk to it with some spices and cloves. It has some citrus flavors, but the hops aren't very present.

Taste: Tons of barnyard funk and brett. The hops bring some bite as well, but not as present as when the beer was fresh (pretty obvious). Has some hints of bananas and cloves with some grapefruit citrus. The hops are floral and they blend well with the funkiness in this beer. A decent amount of black crushed pepper.

Mouthfeel: Bitter, but funky with some crisp notes. Medium bodied with a higher amount of carbonation. End dry with an awkward aftertaste that I can't determine.

Overall, this was a fun beer to age. It really changed a lot and I enjoyed to see what a few months did to it. It was very funky and not to much of an IPA anymore. It is drinkable. The 750 shouldn't be too big of a problem.

mothman, Feb 25, 2010
3.75/5  rDev -2.1%

Very nice amber color with a massive, frothy white head that sticks around throughout.
Horseblanket, barnyard--I can't believe I'm starting to like this smell. Some citrus tones lurking underneath.
Quite funky, accompanied by a slight tartness. Little bit of sourbread, as well as some bitterness that opens up on the finish. Traces of figs and/or raisins.
Crisp and tingly one the tongue, a heavy downwards push. Good amount of carbonation.
Decent drinkability. Alcohol isn't noticeable, but this one makes me want to move back to something smoother.

Parrotbeak, Feb 19, 2010
3.25/5  rDev -15.1%

22oz Corked Bomber

A: Cloudy yellow, dark, yeasty. HUGE Foamy head. It was a gusher after I popped the cork overflowing all over the counter.

S; Very Belgian brett funk, slightly Hoppy.

T: Earthy, mild bitterness. I like more hop bite and sweetness from an IPA, and the belgian yeast seems to cut down on that.

M: Smooth

D: Not what I expected. Leans more toward a Belgian and it's not my favorite style.

chicagoish, Feb 13, 2010
3.4/5  rDev -11.2%

This is one of those brews that I've looked over again and again and I finally decided to break down and grab one of these.. I've heard and read conflicting opinions on this one so I'm curious to see what my findings are...

Poured into a Chimay goblet...

Pours a very beautiful deep orangish golden appearance with one of the most impressive heads I've ever seen.. It's absolutely beautiful.. World class even... Right up there with Duvel...

Delicious aromas of piney oily hops with something more sinister underneath... One of the more unusual aromas that I've ever experienced in a brew... It's like an IPA but there's something a bit off... but in a good way if you know what I mean.. there's a definite earthiness to this brew that I find uber appealing... I'm ready for my first sip...

The first sip... Hmmm.... Nothing at all like the aroma really.. It's actually sort of... bland? The hops are here, but very distant... The Brett is here but hasn't quite taken over yet.. This seems very middle of the road at this point.. I'm wondering if a little earlier or later would give this brew some of the character that I'm desiring here... This isn't bad, mind you, but it's very unspectacular at this point...

I'm guessing that I will come back to this one at some point in the future after the Brett has time to really funk this one up quite a bit and re-review it... As it is, it's not offensive or bad but I"m not sure I'm getting what Victory is trying to tell me..

Tilley4, Feb 13, 2010
3.9/5  rDev +1.8%

April, 2009 bottling date.

Bit of a gusher out of the bottle. Coppery brown/orange color with tons of sudsy foam on top. Not real sticky so doesn't leave a lot of lace.

Sweet and sour scent. Belgian yeast, sour fruit, light wet horse blanket.

Some funk, mostly horse blanket, but not a ton. Lightly puckering, quite bitter from the hops, earthy. Some funk lingers in the aftertaste.

Overly carbonated. Very active and fizzy in the mouth. Extremely dry finish.

Interesting beer that is quite drinkable. The funk is not overwhelming and has a lot of bitter hops to satisfy the hopheads. Got this at a bargain of a price and am glad to have picked it up.

jera1350, Feb 07, 2010
3.9/5  rDev +1.8%

750 mL, bottled on 4/22/2009. About 9 months or so on this one.

Pours amber brown with huge, frothy, off-white to yellowy head which is retained pretty much forever with streams of carbonation in the beer. Lots of lacing coats the glass.

Smells of fruit first - apricot and citrus mostly. Some breadiness as well, with a small but noticeable sourness and funk. Hops are a bit faded, mostly coming through in the citrus aroma.

Crisp and biting up front. Good hops presence, with slight citrus flavor and a good amount of bitterness. Not really too sour, but there is a strong, musty funk from the brett. Quite dry throughout and it leaves a solid funky, bitter aftertaste.

A light to medium body with lots of carbonation. A bit too thick to call silky.

The hops took a back seat in this; I would have liked to try a fresher one I think. This left a slightly unbalanced malt backbone and the brett funkiness was a bit heavy or overpowering. Still a pretty complex, good brew though.

goldbot, Jan 30, 2010
3.93/5  rDev +2.6%

When perusing the wares at the magnificent Sun Singer, I flipped a mental coin between Victory Wild Devil and Three Floyds Munster Octoberfest. Admittedly, a tough call and, to be honest, Wild Devil still has me somewhat perplexed.

Two fat, foamy fingers of off-white froth top a hazy orange-mahogany body; very good duration and ample lacing on the trusty Duvel tulip. Farmhouse funk is all over this aroma--fine with me but, given the advertised complexity of Wild Devil, I cannot help but ask where the hops are. I am awaiting citrus, in bursts or hints, but am coming up empty on that front.

I waited for well over an hour after this was poured and consumed to make determination on Wild Devil, and the jury is still somewhat out. On the one hand, it's a rather malty farmhouse, smoother than the average Saison. On the other hand, it's an IPA smothered in Brett, the sourness of which counteracts the potential benefits of a hopped-up if irregularly malted IPA. In sum, this beer has an identity crisis.

It isn't that it's bad beer, or poorly crafted, but rather ill-defined beer lacking discernible identity. After just trying Jewbilation 13, which served as an object lesson in the importance of patience, it isn't as though I didn't give Wild Devil plenty of time to sort itself out, to warm to room temperature, to breathe. What shortcomings exist, that is, I feel safe in saying that they are in the brewing and not my analysis of the product. Wild Devil is a cleverly crafted but ultimately unsuccessful beer from Victory, an otherwise outstanding brewery. Why? Because this beer suffers from an innate identity crisis, hovering in beer limbo between a malty IPA and a hoppy Saison, all the while remaining true to neither.

In all, it's pretty decent and worth trying, to decipher better than I did, alas. But if one is looking for creative definition in Victory's concoction, one might try elsewhere, for Wild Devil suffers from an uncertainty that I have yet to clarify.

Gehrig, Jan 27, 2010
4.05/5  rDev +5.7%

This poured a hazy copper with tons of unending tan head. It smelled like persimmon, clove, wild yeast, rusty copper, white grapes, and resin, with some honey malt. It tasted like funky orange and persimmon and resin hops with wild yeast and white grapes and clove and honey. It was oily with smooth carbonation, and had a lasting tangy aftertaste. Overall this was a very well constructed beer. It really tested my patience on the pour (most head ever!), but it was worth the wait. It had great bitterness and sourness balance, along with excellent body. It hid the alcohol well too, so it was actually pretty easy to drink. But the flavor is interesting enough to sip. This could probably improve with age too. Very nice.

Pencible, Jan 25, 2010
4.2/5  rDev +9.7%

mmm, heard about it, time to form my own opinion.

1/2 inch head sticks in till the end. pockets of lacing remain

Huge head, high carbonation, smells like brett and citrus, a wee bit o' dry funk, man, reminding me of Orval of course. Psyched.

Crisp carbonation, tastes earthy yet very different. Trying to pick out the hops. Guessing from what they say, one can assume west coast. But the brett really mellows out the hop bite, quite nicely. finishes floral, dry and slightly bitter, lingering layer of delicious piney-bretty resin. 100% brett, all the way. 1/2 inch head sticks in till the end. pockets of lacing remain.

I've heard people get angry about the whole Belgian IPA style, but this to me seems like it could just as well go next to an orval. not as intriguing, but definitely the most interesting American "Belgian Ipa" ive had... will be purchasing again. No more fermenting these types with Trappist or Duvel yeasts... keep it funky ,and the hops will end up hugging your taste buds.

BlackHoleBrew42, Jan 25, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +13.6%

Had this in the bottle a few months back and wasn't crazy about it, but now having had it on tap a few times, I am really getting to love this stuff.
It's a nice orange color with a reasonable head. The smell is a nice mix of citrusy hops and Brett.
The taste is much like the smell. It seemed that in the bottle I had there was some sort of unpleasant disageement bewteen the hops and Brett that resulted in a bizarre clash of off flavors. But, what I've had on tap is really a great combination of the two, nicely balanced. Two flavors I love, getting along just fine. Sweet malt, citrusy hop along with the funk...and it's a good amount of funk, but not over the top.
Body was medium-light and very drinkable.

Hautacam, Jan 23, 2010
4.22/5  rDev +10.2%

Here we are, Wild Devil. Bought you fresh at the Hop City months ago. Planned on tearing you up shortly there after, but alas. That very same day I met up with Murch at the Brick Store Pub and he wanted to share a bottle as our final beer. The beer was decent then but I decided, with Murch's advice, to let it rest and see how it develops. So, like I said, here we are. Served up in a tulip.

A: Pours a very light brown/amber color into the tulip. Held to the light, a little more orange comes through but stays mostly the same. The body is murky, hazy, cloudy. Can't see through it, in other words. Off the pour, we got a HUGE head. Not saying it was gusher, you just need to be careful. Probably three fingers of head, maybe a touch more. The head is off white in color, kind of a little dirty white look to it. Retention isn't bad at all. falls to a half finger or so, and sticks around. Light wispy strands of lace are sporadic. Looking good.

S: Ah . . . very happy. It appears the Brett has come out finally. Nice and musty/musky. Dusty attic, and little bit of hay and barnyard coming across. Not quite horseblanket, but has that sweaty horse type smell. Behind that, this is a floral brew. Tons of floral notes fo sho. Some orange blossom, citrus, touch of field notes and a little bit of honeysuckle. There is a touch of pine coming across, but these hops are mostly floral in character. Just incredibly earthy and fragrant to be honest.

T: Yet again, much better than remembered. When I first had it, the Brett was weak but present. With the large amounts of floral hops, that combination created a very soapy/medicinal flavor. None of that mess now. The Brett is really out now, but not over bearing. Getting that dusty wood type flavor, touch of hay and barn. This is mostly earth though. Nice notes of grass and floral goodness. Citrus hops and pine hops are here but the floral really mixes well with the Brett in that earthy form. This isn't crazy hoppy or crazy with the Brett. It is right in line. The malts really don't come out too much. Maybe a touch of pale malts with a tinge of honey. The mustiness and muskiness is right on point for me. Damned nice.

M: Medium in body with a really nice creaminess to it. Has a really good weight to it. Not too heavy but just enough to sit on the palate a bit and allow you to explore it. Carbonation has toned down a bit. I remember it being a touch too high but now it is nice and medium to medium high. Has a good bubbly nature to it on the throat. ABV is noticeable but nice, slight heat on the throat develops a bit. Aftertaste is all barnyard musk.

D: I apparently have waited a perfect amount of time here. Its all about preference. I am big fan of Brett. Love what it does and what it brings. Murch was a bigger fan of the hoppiness on this fresh because he's not a huge fan of Brett. For me this is the sweet spot of the beer I think. Mixing hoppy with Brett is tricky because something is going to have to give. Now the hops are mostly there for aroma purposes and they compliment the Brett in flavor. Damned good if you ask me. really enjoying this beer and glad I waited on it to open up.

everetends, Jan 22, 2010
2.85/5  rDev -25.6%

A - Amber/ orange colored brew. Abundant long-lasting foam.

S- citrusy, hops, a little of that rodenbach funkiness. Tried and tried but can't pin it down right now. Can smell the yeast.

t-hoppy, sour, a bit like a gueuze but hoppier. Some bitterness too. Like a pale ale mixes with a gueuze. Not much malt presence though. Long lasting, mouth puckering sourness, but not much complexity? No sweetness. A bit crazy and young tasting, like some home-brew I've had. Doesn't feel balanced. Feels like this wild devil needs to be tamed for a bit longer. Yeast flavor is strong.

m- fine

d- thirst quenching, but tastes a bit too uneven, bitter and sour so you can't drink much.

voteforgoat, Jan 21, 2010
4.05/5  rDev +5.7%

Corked and caged 750ml bottle. No indication of bottling or best by date.

Hazy orange marmalade colored body. Even with a relatively soft pour a rather impressive head is produced. Four fingers worth of pear color meringue bubbles. Retention is very decent though the lacing could be better. Lacing left is scattered about the glass, I will say what is there is plenty sticky.

At first sniff I would not call this a Belgian style IPA. The barnyard mustiness was quite strong. I am leaning toward this being an older bottle as the brettanomyces have certainly had time to get to work. The funk is secure in leading the nose while a sweet malt aroma plays second fiddle. Sweet smells of caramel and bready malt. the Belgian influence leads me to the thought of candied sugar, though I am fairly certain this was not used. Belgian or not you cannot have an IPA with out hops. The citric hop aroma blends well but seems to be overmatched at this point. Personally the aroma works for me but seems to be off slightly for the style. With the Brett presence so strong I believe the hops have merely faded some with age.

Sweet bready malt up front leans strongly towards a Belgian Strong Pale Ale flavor. The tongue confirms what the nose was telling me, the brett has been at work. Musty leather and loaded with phenols. A large segment of the flavor is dominated by this rustic earthiness. The bitterness hits mid palate with much less citrus punch than anticipated. Hop profile seems more of a grassy bitterness at this time. Hops are no longer bright, once again the meld into the bigger flavors and compliment well.

Medium bodied with a tremendously creamy smooth texture. I thoroughly enjoy bottle conditioned IPA's, even if this one does not scream IPA. The fine prickly carbonation is very reminiscent of your legitimate Belgian ales. Mouthfeel is the high point of this brew.

Balance reigns supreme with this bottle of Wild Devil. Sweet and Spicy with a complimentary hops presence make for a rather enjoyable brew. Though not a high abv, the alcohol remains masked. If served on draft or in a 12 oz format I would certainly be open to a second serving. With the 750ml bottle one is satisfying. Would seek out again, especially a fresh bottle.

kzoobrew, Jan 17, 2010

Bottle: Poured a lightly dirty beige color ale with some golden hue and a huge off-white foamy head with good retention and some good lacing. Aroma of Belgian malt with some dry Brett notes and a floral and bitter hoppy finish. Taste of lightly sweet Belgian malt with some clear dry Brett notes with some floral and dry hops finish. Body is quite full with limited filtration and great carbonation with no signs of alcohol. Very well done and interesting take on the style.

Phyl21ca, Jan 17, 2010
3.9/5  rDev +1.8%

On-tap at Taco Mac Lindergh in Atlanta.

Pours a clear golden-copper color with a one-finger white head. The head recedes into a patchy layer on top leaving solid lacing.

Smells of slightly biscuit-y pale malts with good amounts of funk and citrus/pine hops.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Pale malts with a hint of toastiness up front are joined by citrus hop flavors first, pine hop flavors second, and funky brett flavors third. The malt flavors reintroduce themselves right before a solidly bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with active carbonation.

Drinkability is good. I finished my glass without a problem and could have another.

Overall I remember liking this much more a bit fresher, especially as the increased influence from the malts doesn't do this beer any favors. Still, worth a shot even if it's past its prime if just to see how it ages.

glid02, Jan 15, 2010