Wild Devil - Victory Brewing Company

Wild DevilWild Devil

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Belgian IPA |  6.70% ABV

American IPA w/ Brettanomyces.

(Beer added by: Kadonny on 05-08-2008)
JeffONeal

4.75/5  rDev +24%

08-10-2014 12:37:37 | More by JeffONeal
malcontent

4.7/5  rDev +22.7%

Poured into a tulip, massive, off-white head fed aggressively by streams of bubbles from the bottom. Beautiful auburn hue to the body. Sexy looking beer.

Smells like a hoppy saison. Slightly pineapple-y with a citrus tinge followed by a floral background (Saaz on board with some American hops?). Nice.

This beer has absolutely everything for me. Masterful use of hops in the beer's ability to provide bitterness but discernible flavor and aroma. Mostly pine-y with just a touch of grapefruit in this area. More impressive is how well the always tasty base beer has melded with the distinct farmhouse style without sacrificing anything. Funky but only subtly as the malt body holds its ground and leaves an earthy flavor on my tongue. Love it.

High degree of carbonation is right for a Belgian take on what should normally be a more restrained style. Body is full and the carbonation actually serves to cut through any perceived oiliness from the hops. Finally, the tired IPA gets a wake up. Makes me remember why hops excited me way back when. Outstanding.

06-07-2009 07:26:41 | More by malcontent
Maxxthepenguin

4.65/5  rDev +21.4%

So, I picked up a bottle of this baby today, but unfortunately cannot figure out when it was bottled. There seems to be a bottled on/best by or something on it, but it's unreadable, saying something akin to 20(half circle)(omega). Upon undoing the wire and popping the cap off, I barely touched the cork and it exploded. A good 10 minutes of nonstop head pouring out of the bottle later, I could sit down and enjoy the beverage. Even after that ludicrous amount of foam, it poured with 2/3 head.

Smell: A bouquet of brett and citrus hops greeted me, but they were not overpowering. It had an uncommonly clean nose for a brett brew.

Taste: A delightfully balanced, but potent, taste of brett sourness and strong hops creates a flavor unlike any I've found before. There is enough sweetness to give this complex flavor some backbone and hold it together, but the funk and hops are what stay prominent. There is a bit of bitterness at first taste, but that quickly fades into the glorious citric, with a dash of herbal, hop flavor and musty, sour brett, integrated into a singular taste.

The rest: The bubbliness retained through the entire drinking process, even through both glasses of the bomber. Keeping that in mind, it drinks smoothly and I could easily drink more if I had more.

08-27-2010 23:55:13 | More by Maxxthepenguin
LukeD23

Delaware

4.65/5  rDev +21.4%

upon popping open the cork of this ale I poured into a ballon glass and was met by a wonderous ruby red slightly hazy beer with a huge frothy cream colored head. Very effervesient with apparent over carbonation....At this point I brought my nose to the glass only to be jetted back in time, I began to imagine what the sailors who popped open the original IPAs might have smelled and hoped it was like this. Very nice citrus notes and apricot are backed by the smell of the wild, rustic, horsehair, wild mushrooms and freshly tilled soil.

I patiently waited for the head to reduce so I could sip....A snappy tart bitterness is the first hit on the tongue, but this ale is remarkably mellow and smooth on the finish. Grapefruit, honey, tangerine, and strangely bok choy are the flavors coming through for me, the beer is so quenching, but I find it almost impossible to truly put my finger on the great wild yeast flavors that are so so complex and warming. Mouthfeel is nice, semi thin, but it makes this beer very quaffable.

Overall, I am so glad I picked up a bottle of this stuff. I am just starting to venture into wild ales and this one makes me want to continue to try more and more. Great stuff

08-30-2009 01:04:30 | More by LukeD23
collmanb

Alaska

4.65/5  rDev +21.4%

I tried this beer while sampling all the taps at Stub and Herb's on a recent visit to Minneapolis. I like beer and I especially love IPA. After drinking my way through the taplist, this is the beer that I kept coming back to. It didn't taste a lot like an IPA, and it didn't taste like a typical Belgian, but it sure was good. I typically don't drink the same type of beer two times in a row, but this time I did - and Stub and Herb's has an excellent set of taps.

I want some more!

08-17-2009 00:32:52 | More by collmanb
ZSimon

4.65/5  rDev +21.4%

Bomber from Total Wine, Richmond, VA.

Not sure I've seen anything like this beer before, beginning with the look. Saying reddish amber would sell this beer short - this baby glows! Ultra-active carbonation powers this beer, to the unfortunate point of a bit of yield loss due to gushing. A huge, coarse, sticky, luxurious head sticks around til the end.

Brett yeast is the dominant flavor here - funky berry fruit, earthiness, with a healthy dose of hops adding another layer. Something different in every sip, definitely a function of a killer yeast strain. Just fantastic.

Wild Devil is everything a wild ale can be. Built on the traditional HopDevil foundation (a winner in its own right), the Brett yeast takes over and transforms this offering into something truly memorable. For those of us on the East Coast that don't have regular access to the Russian River line of wilds, this is a worthy substitute. Way to go, Victory!

11-21-2010 00:22:12 | More by ZSimon
becktone

4.63/5  rDev +20.9%

From notes 8-31-09

Eye: This one pours crystal clear and is copper-orange in color. Head is slightly off white and is a dense foamy mass at about two fingers with good retention, Lacing is nice too.

Nose: Hops definitely come through in this beer, citrus, floral and piney. Oakiness comes through as well. Alcohol is detectable. Brett character is very upfront, easy to detect, hard to miss. Earthy and mulchy but not as much as other brett induced beers I've had. The whole farmhouse vibe is here, horse-iness is here as well. This is pretty much exactly what the brewer wanted to accomplish.

Tongue: Three very differnt things going on here. They meld and don't. First some brett character, earthy, slight mulchiness, and what not. Then malt, and then some hops to support it all. In the end the brett comes back while the malt still lingers and the resulting taste reminds me of gingerbread...or even as strong as gingersnap cookies. Hop character is there, but isn't as pronounced as a normal IPA. The feeling of citrus notes is there on the tongue but it hides under the funk....at the same time you know its there through. Hard to describe this one....unique, very unique. The bitterness and hop flavor combine nice with the brett characteristics. Quite a cool beer.

Feel and Drinkability: Medium body with medium-low levels of carbonation and a dry finish. Everything about this beer's feel works in conjunction with the flavor. I mean it finishes dry and that compliments the brett and the hops, its carbonation is also down to help the malt to come out a bit more. This is one that I'll enjoy drinking the rest of. Prolly couldn't drink more than one bottle of this though. If I see it next year I'll most likely pick up a bottle. Its definitely worth a go.

10-27-2009 23:43:33 | More by becktone
Kolsch

4.6/5  rDev +20.1%

On tap at Victory, Downingtown PA.

Appearance: Very big, very frothy head. Stuck around through the whole drink.

Smell: Absolutely barnyard. If I didn't know it, I swear I was at my Uncles farm.

Taste: Barnyard funk that was probably the most Horseblanket taste I ever had. The taste was so unique, I could not stop marveling at it. Not for everybody, though my wife liked it which was very strange. Could not detect too much on the Hop side. People say to let this one age, I like it the way it is now, the funkier the better.

Overall: I will seek out as much as humanly possible.

Edit to original Review. I cellared a couple of bottles and interestly enough the hop side comes out more with age. I prefer the damp, blanket taste.

09-10-2009 20:34:42 | More by Kolsch
RoyalT

4.58/5  rDev +19.6%

Appearance - This came out a nice bronze in color with a moderate head on an easy pour.

Smell - The wild yeast is bonkers here at the nose. It is a quality aroma full of funk and fungus. There's a light, leafy hop scent and maybe some lightly-toasted malts but this nose is all about that nasty funk.

Taste - The yeast comes on strong at the taste as well but the malt really picks things up and brings a wonderful, toasted flavor to this beer. The hops are still second fiddle and mostly like endive. The profile is certainly not balanced but is most enjoyable.

Mouthfeel - This is a solid medium-bodied with a surprising bitterness throughout. It seems light in the hop department but boy did it bitter-up at the end.

Drinkability - I don't know how to categorize this ale except to say that it totally kicks butt. It brings the best part of a wild ale, that yeasty funk, the bitterness of a good IPA, and the malt structure of a big Belgian. Nicely done.

11-01-2009 02:01:32 | More by RoyalT
BenZ

Bottle

Think Orval (the balance) + Jolly Pumpkin (the funk) + Stone (the hops). Brettastic, bitter, just slightly less dry than you'd expect. It would be extremely easy to put away a few of these.

This was bottled on 3/3/09. When decorked, there was a blast of american hops - that was the last time they showed their aroma. Poured a cloudy golden red, and the head kept growing over a minute or so, but very slowly - strange.

From then on it was a bitter brett masterpiece. There was some malt flavors in there, but who cares. Drink this thing now!!

08-09-2009 00:40:16 | More by BenZ
berpwillie

4.58/5  rDev +19.6%

pours slightly hazy amber-orange color with ridiculous amounts of light fluffy head. Upon finishing a glass the whole cup was completely covered with lace. lots of carbonation, with a unique flavor that will drive your palate wild. This beer is a big favorite of mine. Glad it's readily available in my area. Victory is begining to become one of my favorite brews.

03-31-2010 16:53:35 | More by berpwillie
bobsy

Ontario (Canada)

4.55/5  rDev +18.8%

This is a funky beast, but I can't remember who brought it. Thanks whoever it was... I relly liked this one.

Pours a hazy orange with a finger of off-white head. Good retention and lace. Huge barnyard aroma mingling in with some grapefruit, earth, spice and flowers. The taste reminded me of a super-hopped orval. There's certainly a lot of brett, bringing some distinctive funky notes. Decent bitterness in the form of citrus. A pleasant spice and pepperiness from the yeast. Bready backbone throughout with odd moments of brown sugar, before culminating in a dry finish. Pillowy carbonation and medium body.

There's a lot going on here, and I think in some respects this sets a benchmark for belgian IPAs. Anything that compares favourably with orval can't be all that bad.

08-10-2009 02:44:09 | More by bobsy
CaptFrothy

Maryland

4.53/5  rDev +18.3%

22oz bottle coaxed into my Piraat snifter. Mahogany brown, 2" shaving cream head that settled into a thin white line. Slightly coarse mouthfeel, hoppy initialy, with a lingering dank aftertaste. Wonderful fusion of an IPA and Belgian, delightfully different, delicous, and sessionable with only a 6.7abv. Victory hits another one out of the park!

05-07-2009 00:15:22 | More by CaptFrothy
TNT

4.51/5  rDev +17.8%

Why isn't this higher rated? Funky, citrus, pine, what more could you ask for in this style? Looks great with an almost amber color and nice two finger khaki head. Crisp, but not overly carbonated mouthfeel. Stands out amongst Belgian IPA's. Would highly recommend.

06-23-2014 17:09:33 | More by TNT
bonbini26

01-12-2012 17:31:52 | More by bonbini26
scottyshades

4.5/5  rDev +17.5%

Ok, so I am not entirely familiar with the Belgian IPA style AT ALL. So I will review this beer with that in mind. But I am really intrigued in the beers with Brett, so this is exciting, and only my second Brett beer.

A: Pours a slightly transparent/slightly hazy amber/copper color that produces a MASSIVE head, typical in Belgians. I could write a review about the head alone, but I assume other Belgian IPA's may be similar...Really airy and fluffy head that just keeps expanding. So far, looks delicious.

S: The first note I get is a Belgian spiciness...clove, coriander, banana, pear, spearmint and bubblegum. Very enticing. I am getting a little bit of funk from the Brett (horsey/barnyard type stuff) almost like moldy blue cheese in a way. Really interesting.

T: Pretty different from the nose. The flavor profile has a much more noticeable hop presence (I don't know what kind- seems like warrior and cascade), and the malt backbone and Belgian spice really balances this well. If you try hard, this beer has a lot of complexity, especially when it warms to about 5-10 degrees above serving temp. The funkiness of the Brett becomes more apparent as the temp warms as well. Also picking up some light fruits, as well as some clove honey! Very very nice!

MF/D: This beer is pretty viscous, very smooth and easy to drink, long Belgian spice finish with a slight twang of funk

Overall, very nicely done, very creative, and complex. Looking forward to trying this again, as well as other Brett beers.

09-29-2009 00:47:17 | More by scottyshades
pathman

07-14-2013 18:51:22 | More by pathman
twelvsies

Maine

4.5/5  rDev +17.5%

Very interested to try this one. Pours looking almost like an IPA, amber in color, relatively clear, but with a giant foamy head, a la a robust Belgian ale. Wow - lots of aroma jumping off this one. I can't say I drink Hop Devil all the time, but the signature spicy notes of hops are there, a tad of citrus, and a wonderful floral aroma from the brett. The flavor is a complex mix as well. Hops, mild and spicy, slightly citrusy, and an awesome flowery, fruity bouquet of wild goodness. A bit ripe and pungent. Slightly musty and dry in the finish, mildly funky. Want more. Wow, again. I've become quite a fan of the Belgian IPA as it is now pretty much an official style, but this is quite different. I've never had a beer where the hops and wild yeast are both sort of the main character and really mixing the flavors in the overall profile of the beer. I am totally into this.

04-16-2009 12:25:32 | More by twelvsies
gcare02

12-22-2011 20:57:38 | More by gcare02
Oakenator

12-11-2011 14:16:12 | More by Oakenator
MrHungryMonkey

4.5/5  rDev +17.5%

Nose is appropriately funky. Starts with the dry bouquet of a cheap cologne and grows medicinal like latex gloves. Some peppery spices and menthol. A little malt. Smells nice.

Pours a deep orange with yellow highlights, moderate clarity, nice big creamy foamy head. Looks wonderful.

Flavor kicks off with a tart hoppy twang, it doubles back to medicine and plastic, then some dry/earthy hop bitterness, cool menthol with hints of tobacco, leafy freshness, peppery spice and herbs, and then some malt - not much, but enough. Not highly hoppy, more funky. Finishes dry and yeasty. Creamy smooth mouthfeel is a nice juxtaposition to the funkiness.

Wonderful beer. It's a soft and prim, yet funky and wild. Another homerun for Victory.

06-19-2009 01:30:06 | More by MrHungryMonkey
cwreay90

08-15-2014 18:06:14 | More by cwreay90
JMUduke

08-08-2014 21:57:33 | More by JMUduke
Beerenauslese

4.5/5  rDev +17.5%

Pours a clear amber gold with a sudsy head that lasts to the end, leaving ample lacing on the glass.

Refreshing smells of brown sugar green hops, wet hay, and a little horseblanket.

Sweet malt flavors with lemony citrus and fresh bread/biscuit notes. The sweet malt flavors interact with the citrus on the palate to make the taste quite interesting. Ends dry with bitterness that is also a bit salty. The Brett used is working nicely with the citrus hops to create a mild acid dimension that is perfectly balanced by the German malts.

Mouthfeel is mildly thick and creamy, yet very refreshing due to the citrus/Brett acidity and the fine prickly carbonation. At 6.7 ABV, this is a beer I could drink all day at a summer picnic with German pretzels and mustard and be quite happy.

03-02-2010 03:42:43 | More by Beerenauslese