Wild Devil - Victory Brewing Company

Wild DevilWild Devil

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Beer added by: Kadonny on 05-08-2008

It’s arguable that our menacingly delicious HopDevil has always been wild. With bold German malts and whole flower American hops, this India Pale Ale is anything but prim. But add a touch of brettanomyces, the unruly beast responsible for the sharp tang and deep funk found in many Belgian ales, and our WildDevil emerges completely untamed. Floral, aromatic hops still leap from this amber ale, as a host of new fermentation flavor kicks up notes of citrus and pine. Pour yourself a glass today—if you dare.
Reviews: 528 | Hads: 1,250
3.48/5  rDev -9.6%

A-Poured a hazy golden copper collor with a huge tan head.

S-Brett right off the top with subtle pine notes from the hops.

T-Bitter hop notes with a tangy barnyard brett finish. (I would really love to ry this again in a few years when the brett has has more time to come out.)

M-Way over carbonated to my own personel taste.

D-With current carbonation levels i don't think i could do more that one of these.

3.48/5  rDev -9.6%

Pours a hazy copper with orange hues and an off white head that leaves a sticky, foam lacing in its wake which lasts throughout the majority of the glass.

Aroma consists of floral hops, wild yeast, and semi sweet malt.

There is an immediate sweet malt presence quickly overtaken by the mix of floral hops and funky yeast with a pepper like bite in the finish.

Medium in body and carbonation, with a bit of an aggressive bite between the yeast and pepper like qualities.

This is a unique brew and a crossover of styles. As advertised there is plenty of funky yeast with noticeable hops and hints of sweet malt, certainly worth a try.

3.45/5  rDev -10.4%

Corked and caged bottle pops open with a satisfying pop. Poured into a pint glass (I should probably upgrade my glassware but I've got what I've got).

Appearance: Enormous white fluffy head with great retention. At one point I had at least a finger and a half's worth of head above the top of my glass. The beer itself is an orange hazy color. Good lacing as I start to drink.

Smell: Strong brett nose. Part of the reason I got this beer was so that I could separate the brett from the other yeasts and bacteria that go into the lambics/wild ales I've tried so far. I guess if I try to imagine a barnyard without that cow shit smell I'd get something close to this, so I get that barnyard thing now. Perhaps some citrusy hops coming through as well, but it may be a lemony brett character. Whichever it is, it makes a wonderful subtle entrance at the very end of my sniff.

Taste: There's some hop bitterness up front, and a hint of floral flavors, but not much hop presence. It's at this point that I realized my bottle is 13 months old. I'll have to revisit this when I can find it fresh and see what I think. Nevertheless, after the hop bitterness comes a nice brett character and that same subtle finish from the aroma that might be the lemony brett or citrusy hops. As it warms I get more hop flavor up front.

Mouthfeel: I think this is a good beer overall, but the mouthfeel is probably it's biggest detractor. Most good beers, especially lambics/wilds linger in a good way after you take a sip, but this one does not for me. I think the carbonation level is good though.

Drinkability: Reasonable drinkability. I'd probably prefer to split my bomber if I could, but I'll be able to finish it for sure.

3.44/5  rDev -10.6%

I went in search of Saison du BUFF today, but upon failing to find it at two stores I opted for this beer instead. I've considered buying this beer the last 3 or 4 times I've hit up the local package stores, and for some reason I pulled the trigger today. Lets see what I thought.

750mL bottle dated either June 10, or January 10, 2009. The middle letter of the abbreviated dated is smudged. Poured into a Duvel tulip.

This beer is beautiful. The head was actually a little bit too much. It took me four attempts to get a glass of this poured. But, once it was in the glass the beer was a golden with a touch of amber, and the head was a delicious off white.

The smell is sour and musty with no hits of hops or anything else. I prefer the smell to the taste.

The taste isn't really sour, it is more earthy and musty. It tastes old, but in a good way. The hops don't hit me until after the dry earthiness passes. When the hops do hit they taste very European in nature despite the fact that the bottle makes it known that American hops are used. It is probably the influence of the yeast that makes me think this.

The beer feels dry in my mouth. There certainly isn't any need to pucker with this beer.

A very drinkable beer. Putting back the whole 750 was no problem. If this was offered in 6ers I'd probably drink 3 or 4 of them in an evening with no trouble.

I was hoping for more from this beer. I wanted something sour, a Sour IPA, not a musty IPA. If it was a dollar or two cheaper per bottle I might buy it again, but right now I'll probably hold off on having another bottle for some time.

3.42/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bronze in color with excellent clarity. Off white with a hint of light brown in the half inch tightly knit foam. Brussels lacing. Weak aroma is Brett dominated. The flavor is Brett forward with very sour and tart notes. I can't get anything else in the flavor as it seems unbalanced. The mouth is aggressively carbonated.

3.41/5  rDev -11.4%

Amber colored with an incredibly voluminous head which eventually reduced to a night tight lace of bubbles. I couldn't pickup any hop aroma with this beer, mostly yeasty brett funk.
taste is clean, and grassy with horse blanket slight bitterness, characteristics of brett undertones are prevalent.
Beer is light bodied and wicked overcarbonated even after my aggresive pour.
Moderately drinkable, not my favorite beer, but not bad either. worth giving it a try if you can find it, especially if you are into them freaky brettanomyces beers.

3.4/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Bottled in 2009 and held by brewery and re-distributed, then bought in 2014. Amber/orange.

A- Pours the biggest bubbly foam head I've ever seen right out of the bottle.

S- Yeasty and sour. hoppy too. candied oranges. Wild.

T- Similar to the smell really. Some sour notes from the yeast action. The hops has really mellowed out. I hope others review this delayed/aged re-release because I don't think I'm doing it justice with this review. But it's a pretty exciting/interesting beer.

M- Very bubbly and fizzy in the mouth.

O- I thought about getting some hop devil (which I haven't had yet, though I loved V's Hop Fresh) to taste alongside this one but this beer stands on its own as completely unique from the original Hop Devil. It is indeed wild, and I'm glad I tried it.

3.4/5  rDev -11.7%

750mL into snifter. man the cork came out with a bang. and so did the foam! this thing is going nuts out of the bottle and will hardly stay in my glass. not a good start.

A: a hazed orange blanketed with a dense white head. this head is huge and has great retention.

S: smells like a belgian. a chalky earthy characteristic most common. however, there is a vinous brett quality that peaks around as well. hard to tell this was an IPA to begin with there not being a large hop smell.

T: brett coming through on the palate much more than the nose. something is a slightly unpleasant though. tastes medicinal/band-aid-like. i know some of this may be expected because of the brett. wish there was a more pronounced hop body worked in as well.

M: not effervescent, but very very bubbly. the bubbles actually feel large, not fine and prickly.

D: not bad, just not living up to the hype i had in my mind. worth a try.

3.38/5  rDev -12.2%

750 ml caged and corked bottle, bottled on 6/10/09. Served in a nonic pint glass, the beer pours a hazy orange/amber color with a frothy 2 inch off-white head. Head retention and lacing are both very good. Aroma is yeast, lemon peel, pears, peppery spice and some earthy hops. Unfortunately the taste isn't quite as appealing as the aroma. It tastes like medicine/aspirin, peppery spice, yeast, and some grassy hops. But the medicinal taste overpowers the other flavors. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's a bit coating and has a lot of carbonation. Drinkability isn't bad as it is smooth, but would be better if the beer didn't have that aspirin taste. I'll have to revisit this one in the future.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

pours a clear red-orange with a large off-white head, above average carbonation, and some lacing.

smell is floral, some citrus, and wild yeast.

taste is sour, wild yeast, some malt, some citrus, and a little bit of hops, ends a little bitter, and tart.

3.38/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.5

Popped the cork with relative ease and a loud, well, pop.
Poured...holy crap...head is coming up fast to about 4 fingers. This is a clean glass, too. yipes. Luckily the head chunks up and calms down to a moderate level. Some clinging to the glass all the way up. Clean, chestnut appearance.

First whiff brings up Belgian IPA. Some sourness comes in, then sweet. A bit musky. Some funk and small phenolic hints..plasticy.

Tame flavor. wow, downhill form here. Thin, weak, tame. Perhaps the hops and bretts cancel out each other. Maybe I should age this a bit more. This reminds me a bit of Bud Ale. It has hops....I guess. There is a bite to it. An IPA? More like a PA with Brett instead of malt as the balancing agent. It is dry, wouldn't say sweet, but it has something else. Wouldn't say sour either. Juicy, perhaps.
Apple, slight pear and bread.
Sour hits at the end, but on the tip of the tongue. Hmm.

Good drinkability. Not sure about this one.

3.38/5  rDev -12.2%

Presentation: 750 corked and caged, bottled on date is clearly marked.

Appearance: Slightly hazy reddish brown, nice sized head.

Smell: Definitely brett dominated. There are some citrusy hops in there too, but the funk comes through first.

Taste: Interesting, the hop flavors are definitely muted when compared to the brett. Not overly powering, but definitely the main flavor.

Overall impression: This beer is OK - but its not nearly as interesting as I would hope. Its got some brett flavor, but really not much else. Still, its fairly drinkable, just not the most novel thing I've tried.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

750ml bottle, served in a snifer. Bottled 4/22/09. Opened about 2 months ago. I think I got this in the Secret Santa BIF

A: Pour dark orange, similar to an IPA. Massive head that slowly receded to roughly 1/2 finger. Decent lacing around the top of the glass

S: Lots of brett. In fact, mostly brett. Notes of lemon rind, cat piss and pepper. I'm indifferent about the smell

T: Certainly a good amount of funkiness with this one. Light tartness (was definitely expecting more). Faded, bitter hops. Other flavors I got were leather, wood and light lemon. The longer the beer opened, the more it moved towards being a funky IPA as some citrus appeared

M: Medium bodied. Light bitter, tart finish. Surprisingly light carbonation

D: This was interesting. Pretty sure I had it fresh and it had a much more bretty funk to it. Decent either way, but probably not one I'd age

3.37/5  rDev -12.5%

A gusher, with some farm house funk, sour tinny and my wife the sour beer Fiend doesn't like it, love this brewery just not this brew...drain pour!

Hotel beer at the end of the GABF

3.37/5  rDev -12.5%

There's brett in this one? Really? I'll admit to not drinking Hop Devil frequently enough to distinguish between the two, nor did I pour both head to head, but all I took home from this was that I purchased Hop Devil in sheep's clothing with a premium price tag.

Guess this isn't surprising: hopped up beers don't lend themselves to the sometimes subtle (and sometimes less subtle) secondary characteristics that brett would impart. Perhaps my palate isn't trained to palate wrecker IPAs enough to pick up any subtleties.

This isn't to say it is a bad beer. Its not. Far from it. It is Victory after all. It just wasn't as interesting as I had hoped it would be.

3.35/5  rDev -13%

750ml bottle from April 2009, cork broke when opening and had to bust out the wine opener.

A - Poured a gentle pour and half the glass is filled with a light tan foamy head. The body of the beer is a cloudy amber.

S - Malty, bready as well as hoppy. A faint lemon can be detected.

T - Pine hops, earthy and bready malts collide and finishes slightly tart.

M - Very bubbly, champagne like. Really mixes the flavors around.

O - Could definitely taste the Belgian yeast but I think the age of the bottle is past its prime.

3.35/5  rDev -13%

Opened a 750ml bottled and pour into a wheat beer glass that held most of the bottle's pour. Amber color body with a creamy white head that lasted longer then one would think, a bit hazy though.
Had the aroma of a barnyard horse blanket next to a field of fresh cut green grass; floral and complex. Sweet aroma undertones with a hint of tart yeastiness.
Sweet malty with the must of the Brett yeast strain, but the complex all hits at once and lingers to a dry clean finish; the spicy and grassy notes drop off and my tongue search for the hoppiness that seemed to of only kissed the beer.
Pretty full bodied beer with a semi-high carbonation level that almost works for the style. Great beer concept, but it seem all too safe in practice. I want more hop! More FUNK! I guess one can not have cake and pie, it's either one or the other for this style and something was lost with the marriage the two.
A good fresh treat, but a bit pricy for what it is; but one should try it for themselves!

3.35/5  rDev -13%

Pours a hazy light amber with a massive head - definitely prone to gushing if you are not careful. Sticky straw head where most of the lacing boils away, leaving a thin layer. Smells like a super-hopped saison: hoppy yet horsey/funky at the same time. Pretty evenly split between the two.

This beer definitely works for me best with the first two senses. Taste is most certainly different, but not quite up to the billing. HopDevil + Bret != awesomeness in this case. The hop character is definitely present throughout. I haven't tried original HopDevil so I can't compare. It's mostly a hoppy backbone, though, instead of full-on hop explosion. Then the brett wild taste starts to kick in. Unfortunately, all it's really doing for me is make the hop character a little paler, more subdued. It's got a nice ephervesence to it, almost like a very dry champagne that's also very hoppy. But after that tingle, it gets real soapy, not a particularly clean sensation. The aftertaste consists of the bitter/sour/soapy sensations all fighting for dominance, with none really taking the crown. I don't know if it's my taste buds being stupid, but tastes different from sip to sip, depending on which of those sensations assert. Some are quite enjoyable (like hoppy with the wildness as a backbone), but when it gets real soapy (with those other sensations crawling up the spine), it is not so hot. Drinkability suffers for this same reason. It's like a constantly shifting wild card. It definitely gets props for trying something crazy, but doesn't quite live up. Now, given a year or so for the hops to fade and the brett to really come out, and I wonder what this will taste like.

3.34/5  rDev -13.2%

A: Hazy orange with a massive, rocky head with everlasting sustain.

S: Mild brett with a light citrus aroma.

T: Spicy brett taste with light hop flavors. Funky and bitter but lacking in overall flavor and intensity. The hop bitterness overwhelms the subtleties of the yeast.

M: Medium-bodied with lots of carbonation.

D: Good try, but I don't think that this one quite works.

3.33/5  rDev -13.5%

A hazy deep amber color with a decent white head and lots of healthy lacing. The aroma offers a pleasant sour Alka Seltzer citrus with mild wheat grain. The flavor comes on with a very odd chalky Pepto Bismal/Alka Seltzer idea. It's fizzy and brings some sour cherry. There's a vague cotton candy sweetness but mostly this offers pretty medicinal sour qualities. It's light to medium bodied and heavily carbonated. Modest drinkability and not really something I'm anxious to finish. Not sure what this is but it doesn't much matter.

3.33/5  rDev -13.5%

I took the bottle out of the fridge and took the cage off of the top of the bottle. I came back ten minutes later to a big booom and the pressure from inside the bottle popped the cork right off. Simply amazing for a beer bottled back sometime in 2009. The beer was poured into a stella glass

Appearance: Holy head of beer. The head reduces, but I keep filling up my glass to get it to the proper beer level for a review. There is also some nice lacing on the side of the glass too. The beer is also a hazy orange amber color. I know there is carbonation in the beer, but I can't even see any in my glass.

Smell: Very cirtusy here, clementines, tangerine, and grapefruit come to mind. Yeast gives the beer some funkiness and straw aromas too. Some leathery characterisitcs come up towards the end of the nose too. Very strange and hopefully the beer does not taste as funky as the smell.

Taste: Same as the nose, but even more strange and funky. Is the beer supposed to be like this? Not sure. Will find out more with every sip. At least the nice citrus makes everything taste better in the rear. I just waited ten minutes and the same funkiness is going on. Don't really know what to think other than the fact that one part of the beer didn't settle correctly over the last two years.

Mouthfeel: The beer is smooth, highly carbonated, and easy to drink once you get past the funk. Medium to full bodied.

Overall: It smelles good up front, but the funkiness took a little longer than I wanted to get used to it. I prefer sour and funky beers, but this one seemed too funky. I would like to try out a fresher version next time this comes out. This was a decent twist on a style I am getting accustomed too.

3.32/5  rDev -13.8%

A - Reddish, slightly golden coloring; thick, long-lasting head which was light in color

S - Hops definitely present, however, it moves to a sweeter, citrus nose

T - Sweet-to-hoppy-to-funky taste. Citrus was present throughout that long transition. While the variety of taste was remarkable, none of it stood out

M - Moderate carbonation, not spectacular. A mild funkiness lingered

D - Very drinkable, taste does change in subtle ways the more I drink

3.29/5  rDev -14.5%

Clear, golden amber with a huge, poofy head. The foam laces very nicely all the way down the glass, in big frothy clumps.
Smells mostly floral, with a touch of green apple. I'm not getting much in the way of funk. Some mousiness is there, but not much. Certainly different from Hop Devil.
Wow! The flavor is much funkier than the smell. Toasty malt sweetness immediately gives way to harsh, bretty, jam-band level funkiness. It basically dominates the beer. Medium/full bodied, with very assertive carbonation. Not much in the way of sourness, or at least it's buried under significant hop bitters in the finish. Prominent barnyard flavors, reminding me of visiting the livestock tent at county fairs. Hay, with a distinct cow plop flavor at the very end of the finish. Strange and slightly unpleasant, but I'm comforted that nothing harmful can survive in beer, and that this is a reputable brewery. Dry and decidedly eccentric. If this was a person, it would be that crazy guy that walks around town with basketball shorts under leather chaps and carries the pink boom box.
I'm not sure if IPA and wild ale mesh exactly. The bitterness of the hops is only amplified by the lack of sweetness than brett delivers, and that cowshit flavor in the finish is somewhat off-putting. I'm glad my wife has been wanting to try this, because I doubt I want the entire 750 ml.

3.28/5  rDev -14.8%

22oz Corked Bomber

A: Cloudy yellow, dark, yeasty. HUGE Foamy head. It was a gusher after I popped the cork overflowing all over the counter.

S; Very Belgian brett funk, slightly Hoppy.

T: Earthy, mild bitterness. I like more hop bite and sweetness from an IPA, and the belgian yeast seems to cut down on that.

M: Smooth

D: Not what I expected. Leans more toward a Belgian and it's not my favorite style.

3.28/5  rDev -14.8%

750ml bottle (from Binny's in Orland Park) poured into a pint glass

Pours vague ruby-amber with a HUGE lumpy head and super lacing. Very slightly cloudy. Smell is interesting and not altogether pleasant. Smells a little sour, slightly soapy, dingy. Old wet clothes.

Taste is sour and bitter, soapy, cilantro. Hoppy, of course. Grapefruit sourness. Very bitter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is dry, heavy, and pleasant. Soapiness of the taste makes it a little difficult to drink.

Wild Devil from Victory Brewing Company