2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Wild Devil - Victory Brewing Company

Wild DevilWild Devil

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Belgian IPA |  6.70% ABV

American IPA w/ Brettanomyces.

(Beer added by: Kadonny on 05-08-2008)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 622 | Reviews: 471 | Show All Ratings:
Naugled

2.88/5  rDev -25%

served in flute

Beautiful head, off white dense and long lasting.

Interesting combination of hop and funk, intriguing and makes you thirst

Flavor falls down in my opinion. Has great balance of hop flavor and brett funk, and you don't want to spit it out, but it is not an appealing flavor. It's like ketchup on ice cream, they just don't work well together.

Mouth feel is a bit thick and lingering and cloying

Not terribly drinkable, it's just not a good combination in my opinion. It's a well made beer, but falls down on flavor profile.

08-26-2009 17:39:03 | More by Naugled
paulieatworld

2.93/5  rDev -23.7%

this was a tough one to review. there's been a lot of split opinions on this beer and it's an unusual style.

pours an off amber/blonde with immense creamy head.
smells quite strongly of belgian funk from the brettanomyces yeast.

on paper this is a cool idea. victory's basically taken the hopdevil and used german malts and super aggressive belgian yeast. the result???

my problem is that the taste just doesn't follow the intriguing nose. the brett funk is super strong and completely dominates, destroying the hop profile. hats off to victory for trying to tackle this, unfortunately it just didn't work for me.

the dudes at Great Divide Brewing brew a better version of this.

08-27-2009 02:16:52 | More by paulieatworld
philbertk

Washington

2.95/5  rDev -23.2%

Victory Brewing Company--Wild Devil Ale--2009-10 25.4 oz. Bottle. 6.70% ABV. 70 IBU's. (3.5 / 5.0) IPA--Brett. Big foamy lacy off white head. Hazed pretty rich orange gold color. Odd Brett hop floral citrus farmhouse ester front. Mild active sediment. Creamy dry sweet fruity mild sour crusty caramel hint body. Brett hop spice funky clean tangy citrus end. Odd but not bad. Sampled 6/4/2010. 2 @ $8.99 Each.

06-04-2010 21:45:37 | More by philbertk
etaggie09

2.98/5  rDev -22.4%

After a little scare of the top completely shooting off and the bottle overflowing, this thing settles down enough for me to pour this amber tangerine dream. a cappuccino foam head has some great staying power.

I don't know what I was expecting, but this is a combo of a belgian sweet earthiness and some american hoppy notes. Has a little mustiness in the background too, which is interesting. Gives it a little touch of unrefinement.

I honestly don't know what to make of this. I get the feeling that everything that was in battle in the nose washes out and battles each other. Just seems like a softer version of Hop Devil, really. Not quite as brash, but I'd like a little more sweetness to balance it out a bit.

moderate to high carbonation gives a nice tickle. high drinkability, but all the flavor does is confuse me. I'm not opposed to drinking this, but I'm not excited to be drinking it either. I won't be getting this again.

08-27-2011 19:12:40 | More by etaggie09
bonkers

I poured from a bomber into a snifter. It pours a deep amber The smell is pure funk, I really did not notice any hops. The flavor is sour and funky, I did not detect many IPA qualities. Wild Devil is medium bodied and had moderate carbonation. It is a sipper for me. IMO the brett took this beer over and it is more of a wild ale than an IPA. I did not detect any hops in this at all. This brew was a dissapointment.

03-31-2009 23:49:57 | More by bonkers
david18

Not as good as I was hoping for the Wild Devil is still interesting, especially for an "American Pale Ale" as this site states. I had it on draft at my favorite beer pub and it certainly was refreshing but there are better pale ales out there. Worth a try and another great try from this brewery but not one I'll by a sixpack of.

07-31-2009 18:49:32 | More by david18
TheMarkE

3.03/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Mixed feelings. Victory tried to make their fantastic Hop Devil with Belgian yeast, German malts, and American hops. The result is a unique combination of floral, citrus, and pine, but my bomber had an acidic taste that overrode everything.

Warning! Once you uncork Wild Devil it will explode like champagne. Be prepared!

01-11-2013 23:15:43 | More by TheMarkE
KCHopHead

Missouri

3.05/5  rDev -20.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Sorry to hate on Victory, I like Victory brews but... I just had Saison-Brett which is by far the best Brett beer I've had.

Poured into NB Snifter via Baltimore.

A - Darker than expected, with thick foamy head.
S - Funky Belgian with some hops.
T - Grassy hops, Dry Tripel-like (but for 6.7% I expect wet), Brett funk.
M/D - Good carbonation but a little hard to get down.

Edited to bring this below the B average. The guy who just reviewed above me said he couldn't finish the bottle and neither could I. How do you give a beer a B- when you can't drink it.

07-30-2009 02:15:18 | More by KCHopHead
turnstile

3.05/5  rDev -20.6%

Appearance: Pours a hazy, golden/amber. It's super carbonated and the bubbles are huge; a fizzy three-inch head develops and slowly recedes to a surface film that hangs around for a while. The cork came out of the bottle with no hesitation. If I didn't have my hand on it, it probably would have broken a window.

Aroma: It definitely has that "farmhouse" aspect. Complex nose with strong notes of cherry, lemon, and menthol. Generally floral, barnyardy and sweet with a funky and vinous edge. There's a medicinal/chemical off-aroma there that also reminds of me of household cleaning supplies, which isn't exactly pleasant.

Taste: Dominated by harsh bitterness; piney, resiny notes poke through. Very dry, slightly sour and moderately astringent finish. I was looking forward to an explosion of hop flavor, but it really fails to establish itself with any certainty.

Mouthfeel: Light-medium body with coarse carbonation.

Overall: Victory is trying to marry German with American with Belgian, and the beer simply doesn't convey this. I'm not picking up on a German malt character or American hops - just overpowering bittnerness, funk and off-aromas. It's a struggle to get through this bottle, even when sharing it.

07-08-2011 04:25:34 | More by turnstile
MisterClean

3.08/5  rDev -19.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle purchased and drank at the Belmont Station, PDX.

A - Poured copper wth a 2 fingered white head. Dissipated moderately slow leaving nice lacing.

S - Funk, brett, notes of honey, toffee, spicy hops, and a nectar ester.

T - Brett, honey, breadiness, bitter, slight alcohol, and medicinal tasting. Not so good.

M - Full bodied, hop dominated, with some light alcohol.

D - Something went wrong to give the medicinal taste. Not sure what, but couldn't finish the bottle.

07-30-2009 03:46:49 | More by MisterClean
kingcrowing

Vermont

3.08/5  rDev -19.8%

750ml corked & caged bottle poured into a Duvel tulip, bottled in 2009.

First things first. I got this from a cooler at store, took it home and put it in my fridge, poured it out and my duvel tulip was 95% foam, then it started foaming out of the bottle and I filled TWO more glasses with 95% foam before the bottle stopped spewing foam. Took off on drinkability for this because it's a pain to have to pour three glasses of foam before I can get one glass of beer.

Pours a haze orange hue with a ridiculous head that starts to crater and fade after a long time. Nose is brett, funk, tart, and hoppy, really crisp and well balanced.

This is a bit more flat than I'd like, but because of the crazy over-carbonation I guess it's to be expected. It's got a decent hop bite to it along with a very belgian yeast character that's quite unique and tasty.

10-23-2010 20:19:51 | More by kingcrowing
hopfacebrew

Colorado

3.1/5  rDev -19.3%

Re-post from my hacked "jmkratt" :(

750ml corked to a globe glass. The cork unloaded extremely quickly and the foam quickly spilled from the bottle. Seemed extremely carbonated, overly so.

A - After a gentle pour my globe glass was filled 4/5ths with foam and 1/5 cloudy orange/amber color brew. The extreme head is bubbly white with astounding retention and lacing. It's rather irritating waiting for the foam to subside. I put the opened bottle in the fridge to try and calm it down. When I went to pour my 2nd and 3rd glass it was still extremely foaming. I am not particularly fond of fighting this much foam every single glass. It's like a fresh keg that's been agitated.

S - Perhaps my favorite aspect of the beer. A subtle belgian yeast aroma with a hint of brett and fruity esters. Not any hop character detected. Mild malt sweetness present.

T - Similar to previous reviews I noticed the brett presence immediately and more dominantly than the nose. The hop character also is more dominant than on the nose: earthy character blends fairly well with the brett and bready biscuit malt character. The beer finishes with a bit of medicinal feel.

M - Very carbonated. You can taste the bubbles throughout, if that makes any sense. I don't know how else to describe it.

O - Not what I was expecting. I found the extreme carbonation to be both a hindrance to the aroma and flavor and mouthfeel as well as irritating to deal with. I won't be back. Pretty underwhelmed.

Reviewed on: 06-01-2011 14:20:33

01-18-2012 14:44:55 | More by hopfacebrew
wenkalman

3.15/5  rDev -18%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a standard pint glass.

Appearance - Poured a very thick, large bubble head. Even when poured down the side of the glass. Hazy golden amber color. Head is yellowish/white with good lacing.

Smell - Strong spice notes really over power the hops that would be expected from this Belgian IPA. Slight citrus smell well hidden behind the spices.

Taste - First thing you taste is that "belgian" spice note, but then the hops come up right behind to give it a nice bitter ending. Well balanced flavor, leaning a little more to the sweetness expected from a Belgian Tripel. Seems to capture the best of both styles.

Mouthfeel - Has a good carbonation level, which gives it a tingle on the tongue. This is something I like with a Belgian farmhouse.

Drinkability - I wouldn't be able to drink much of this due to its sweetness, but thats because I am a hophead. The bitterness at the end is nice, but not enough for my taste. The first couple of sips were the best.

I would recommend this beer, more to a Belgian beer drinker then to an IPA fan. If you like them bitter and in your face, then you may not like the sweetness of this beer.

11-29-2009 20:54:57 | More by wenkalman
bluemoonswoon

750mL bomber poured into a tulip

A: Was a little worried when I pulled the cork out of this and didn't hear a pop but my fears were put quickly to rest when a head quickly formed as I poured the beer into the glass. Color is pretty nice, a hazy peach.

S: No doubt about the Brett in this beer sort of reminds me of Goose Island's Matilda as this bottle is a bit old and it seems like the majority of the hop aroma has escaped from this beer. Aroma is a bit grapey

T/MF: Taste is far tarter than I was anticipating, an almost medicinal kind of bitterness emanates from deep within the bowels of this beer (I don't want to say band-aids just yet but it seems to be at least faintly apparent in the long and draw out finish). There is a kind of grainy tannin character that overpowers the honey and unripe peachy flavors that are trying to show themselves but are hidden behind a harsh mouthfeel and overly bitter taste.

D: Not bad but not really sure what this beer wants to be but it tastes and feels like a substandard Belgian IPA to me. Not really all that enjoyable a year in the bottle and I will probably forget about this beer the second it's finished.

09-28-2010 04:16:32 | More by bluemoonswoon
bs870621345

3.15/5  rDev -18%

Rather disappointing offering from Victory, I see where they are trying to go, but I just think they fall short. Bottled in September 2009.

Pours an orange amber color with a HUGE head. The head fades after a while and leaves nice lacing down the glass.

Smells like grapefruit, bread, and funk. Its really not that funky.

Taste is grapefruit up front, bread in the middle, and funk on the end. The funk lingers on the palate, and is slightly unpleasant.

Mouthfeel is light and well carbonated. The carbonation doesn't clean the palate as I would like it to.

Drinkability is not good. Its not inviting and I'm struggling to get through this even with people taking sips from it.

I expected more, but I'm guessing I do not like 100% brett beers. I feel like without the sour component, the brett falls flat.

02-16-2011 02:57:33 | More by bs870621345
natelocc787

3.18/5  rDev -17.2%

I believe this is my first Belgian IPA. Atually no I had the Stone Cali-Belgique. Not an often produced style. That being said i wouldn't recommend this beer to anyone. My palate was pretty toasted but this beer did have a magnificent foam head to a golden orange color. Head crested the glass-lopsided and as tall as the glass itself. Not too much to the nose, an earthy, dirt aroma, ripe brown fruits and Belgian yeast. Even though there was a certain small tartness to the finish, overall I expected another top notch Victory brew and a complex, somewhat sour ale. More light citrus fruit in the taste with ripe, brown fruits, doughy yeast and honey. Mouthfeel was average. Just average. A bit of a letdown.

01-02-2010 06:20:01 | More by natelocc787
ppoitras

3.2/5  rDev -16.7%

750ml bottle purchased as a single at Julio's, Westboro, MA. Corked and caged.

Poured into a Chimay chalice, formed a 1" beige head over the effervescent coppery brew. Pillowy head lasts and lasts, with sporadic chunky lacing. Aroma is bandaids and tartness. Taste is a peek of sweetness to start, but quickly overpowered by the earthy tartness, with a lemony hops close. Mouthfeel is bubbly but still pretty smooth, with an acceptable drinkability. This one didn't do much for me.

10-10-2009 01:30:47 | More by ppoitras
jjh19

3.2/5  rDev -16.7%

Appearance: Amazing bubbly head, Orangish hue. Major league Frothy.

Smell: Spicy nose.

Taste: My initial sip had some bite, right on the side of my tongue. This sharpness evened out after a few more sips.

Mouthfeel: Medium to thinnish body.

Drinkability: Not super smooth or balanced. For as good as this beer looked, I wished I liked the flavors and drinking it more.

Odd and Ends - Frothy head lasted to the last sip - very cool.

02-27-2010 19:30:24 | More by jjh19
wisrarebeer

Wisconsin

3.2/5  rDev -16.7%

Bottled March 27, 2009. $7.99 for a 750ml.

A: cloudy copper-red color
S: yeasty with nice funk and good hop nose
T: interesting, not what I expected from the nose, a lot of metallic bite up front from I don't know what, doesn't taste extremely bretty but somewhat stale and old like it's been oxidized (but not in an offensive way if that makes sense), dry, soft, highly carbonated, in my opinion I don't think the brett and the bitter hops are a perfect fit, seems a bit off-balance
M: metallic bite is distracting
D: this will be my only one for awhile unless I can find a very fresh example and compare the two

07-12-2010 21:36:29 | More by wisrarebeer
TCHopCraver

3.2/5  rDev -16.7%

Reviewed from notes on 9/18/10. Thanks to TCGoalie for sharing and zoso1967 for supplying.

A: Pours a murky orange-gold-light brown into an oversized wine glass. A khaki head started at two fingers and retains at half a finger throughout the tasting. The lacing left on the glass is frothy, but not very sticky.

S: Wild, spicy yeast, meet American hops. I get a lot of aromas from this one, including banana, peach, pear, and tangy sour sauce. On the back end of the smell are citrusy hops. There is a bit of an odd burnt plastic tang, and overall the aroma is very sugary and sweet.

T: The beginning of the sip is nicely sour from the wild yeast influence, and then a weird collision of burnt plastic and hops takes over. The finish is oddly bitter, but not clean. It takes kind of like earth and circus peanuts at the same time. The taste is curious, and I am not sure I like how the wild Belgian yeast interacts with the American hops.

M: The feel is medium upfront, but it soon becomes thin and a little watery in my mouth. The finish is not so pleasantly puckering.

D: This was an interesting beer and worth a try, but not really my cup of tea. The yeast and hop collision really left a strange and not entirely pleasant taste in my mouth. I will not have this again.

10-05-2010 00:36:10 | More by TCHopCraver
cokes

Wisconsin

3.23/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Beneath a billowing stack of sandy froth is a crimson bronze liquid that is mostly obscured by haze.
Aromatic primarily of pine and lemon rind, with fainter, brett-derived notions of suede and sandalwood. Malt fails to scratch out much (or seemingly any) room, scent-wise.
More in line with it's unwild sibling, tastewise. Lightly toasty and nutty maltiness. Pine dominated hop, with some lagging citric oils, and peppery dry grasses. Funk is not nearly as pronounced as in the aroma, but some dry, leatheriness and increased lemony sour-bitterness are noted.
Light bodied, any sort of malt backbone is broken immediately by the gushing carbonation that never really settles down.
The increased dryness actually boosts the drinkability a bit, as it is nearly parchingly arid.
In full disclosure, I'm not wild about HopDevil, and I'm equally nonplussed about the Brett treatment here.

05-13-2009 07:44:46 | More by cokes
Arbitrator

3.23/5  rDev -15.9%

Chilled bomber into a glass. Shared at a tasting by... mfielden? I'm not sure who brought it. Thanks though.

I'm fairly certain that this is just HopDevil infused with brettanomyces. That's what I've heard, and the name and ABV imply the same conclusion. Which makes me laugh at how ludicrous it is to charge $10 a bomber for what is nothing more than an infected version of a normal recipe... Ok...

A: Looks quite like HopDevil: a translucent amber with soft white head that forms pillowy clumps as it recedes. Leaves quite beautiful lacing down the glass.

S: Jesus. Funk to the max. Horse blanket, hay, rotting cherry. Some citrus hops, but they're so weak compared to the barnyard blast of this beer.

T: A very nicely divided set of flavors. The initial taste is all signature brett funk, with horse blanket, tobacco, hay, and faint rotting cherry. The end taste and finish, by contrast, are all citrus hops with a hint of pine and resin. It's amazing how funky this is, but it's not mind-blowing on its own. I'd have liked it to have some sourness to it.

M: Somehow light-bodied and more highly carbed than I remember the HopDevil being. Drinks pretty easily, and has a relatively clean finish.

D: Meh. Not that impressive, especially at $10 a bottle.

07-13-2009 05:32:23 | More by Arbitrator
snaotheus

Washington

750ml bottle (from Binny's in Orland Park) poured into a pint glass

Pours vague ruby-amber with a HUGE lumpy head and super lacing. Very slightly cloudy. Smell is interesting and not altogether pleasant. Smells a little sour, slightly soapy, dingy. Old wet clothes.

Taste is sour and bitter, soapy, cilantro. Hoppy, of course. Grapefruit sourness. Very bitter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is dry, heavy, and pleasant. Soapiness of the taste makes it a little difficult to drink.

12-27-2009 03:15:40 | More by snaotheus
chicagoish

22oz Corked Bomber

A: Cloudy yellow, dark, yeasty. HUGE Foamy head. It was a gusher after I popped the cork overflowing all over the counter.

S; Very Belgian brett funk, slightly Hoppy.

T: Earthy, mild bitterness. I like more hop bite and sweetness from an IPA, and the belgian yeast seems to cut down on that.

M: Smooth

D: Not what I expected. Leans more toward a Belgian and it's not my favorite style.

02-13-2010 22:17:26 | More by chicagoish
Lerxst

3.25/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A-Pours a hazy gold/amber. A moderate pour produced a monumental foamy white head that overwhelmed my tulip.

S-earthy, yeasty, a bit of hops and spice.

T-Fruity, with a malty sweetness and a bit of floral hops.

M-Very harsh carbonation (as you'd expect from the mammoth head) made it unpleasant. A bit thin as well.

D-I couldn't finish the bomber. The carbonation was too much.

If you like Belgians and sharp carbonation, you'll probably get into this one. But it was a bit much for me.

I give it credit as a true representative of the style in A, S & T, but the mouthfeel and drinkability just weren't there.

03-20-2010 17:35:43 | More by Lerxst