Wild Devil - Victory Brewing Company

Wild DevilWild Devil

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American IPA w/ Brettanomyces.

(Beer added by: Kadonny on 05-08-2008)
sulldaddy

Connecticut

3.6/5  rDev -6%

Drinking a cellar temp bottle poured into a snifter. The bottle cork almost jumps out of the bottle and there is a little gushing of foam on the bottle. I did sit on this bottle for about 1.5 years.
Beer pours a cloudy chestnut hue with voluminous eggshell white foam pouring out. Aroma is pine sap and a little mild fruit or maybe cloves. I also get just a little bandaid/vinyl scent that dings the aroma down a notch. Probably good I didnt sit on this one any longer. The bandaid fades completely after my glass sits and breathes for a little.
First sip reveals an average to light body with almost no carbonation. Very smooth drinker.
Flavor is some caramel but moves to pine sap and grapefruit rind hop astringency. I dont get much funk or yeast hits in the beer, which I sort of anticipated from the name. This is a decent beer but Im not ecstatic about it and wouldnt seek it out.

07-25-2011 03:25:51 | More by sulldaddy
photonicgnostic

4.18/5  rDev +9.1%

Picked this up off the discount rack at my local beer store. No date on the bottle, but I'm guessing it's been there a long time. Not being a hop head I've not had Hop Devil, so I can't compare it to that.

The cork needed little encouragement and each pour was 2/3 head. Poured into an Ommegang Cervoise goblet. Lacing was left down to the bottom of the glass.

This is a far more balanced beer than I was expecting. Malt still comes through the hops and funk. Sweet and and a little spicy up front with slight lingering sourness. Very little sediment poured out at the end.

I'll be going back for the other bottle in the store. I'm very impressed and will finally explore Victory's other offerings.

07-23-2011 01:37:32 | More by photonicgnostic
cagocubs

3.98/5  rDev +3.9%

Poured from corked bottle into glass.

Look: A powerful pour with lots of active carbonation causing a mountain of a head. Pours as a lighter amber with a white head that laces.

Taste: Sweet tones; caramel, syrup. Earth; hops, malts, and florals, citrus.

Taste: Much like the taste, all tones are present. Nice complex taste with the hops mixing with sweet accents.

Mouthfeel: Lots of active carbonation. Good coating and mouthfeel with a smooth finish. Easy to drink, maybe a little too bubbly.

As a HopDevil fan I was expecting a punch-you-in-the-face experience with Wild Devil. I was surprised to see how well balanced this beer was. Another nice brew from Victory.

07-14-2011 12:35:51 | More by cagocubs
turnstile

3.05/5  rDev -20.4%

Appearance: Pours a hazy, golden/amber. It's super carbonated and the bubbles are huge; a fizzy three-inch head develops and slowly recedes to a surface film that hangs around for a while. The cork came out of the bottle with no hesitation. If I didn't have my hand on it, it probably would have broken a window.

Aroma: It definitely has that "farmhouse" aspect. Complex nose with strong notes of cherry, lemon, and menthol. Generally floral, barnyardy and sweet with a funky and vinous edge. There's a medicinal/chemical off-aroma there that also reminds of me of household cleaning supplies, which isn't exactly pleasant.

Taste: Dominated by harsh bitterness; piney, resiny notes poke through. Very dry, slightly sour and moderately astringent finish. I was looking forward to an explosion of hop flavor, but it really fails to establish itself with any certainty.

Mouthfeel: Light-medium body with coarse carbonation.

Overall: Victory is trying to marry German with American with Belgian, and the beer simply doesn't convey this. I'm not picking up on a German malt character or American hops - just overpowering bittnerness, funk and off-aromas. It's a struggle to get through this bottle, even when sharing it.

07-08-2011 04:25:34 | More by turnstile
steffigal22

3.6/5  rDev -6%

Never before have I experienced a beer quite like this. And it really was an experience right from the moment I untwisted the cork wire. The cork popped and went flying across the room before I even fully got the wire off. It started foaming ridiculous amounts instantly. It was insane! This shit does NOT stop bubbling! The head retention was amazing too. The first glass felt like I was pouring from a newly tapped keg. ALL FOAM. I couldn't begin to imagine how many yeast cells must still be active inside. With this beer, Victory takes bottle conditioning to the next level and it was very much appreciated.

06-24-2011 00:56:01 | More by steffigal22
Ell

Alabama

3.63/5  rDev -5.2%

Poured from 22 oz bottle into beer clean Delerium Tremens tulip. Bottle marked as bottled on September 21 2009.

A: Very very very carbonated. I poured, waited 3 minutes, poured again, all the while watching bubbles run down into the sink. Waited, poured more, and the head on this thing is huge. It just won't quit.

The beer itself is dark golden color. Very clear - only a small chill haze.

S: While the funky brett is evident, it pales in comparison to the hops shining through. Floral notes are evident, but muted by horse-blanket earthy aroma. Very complex and nice.

T: The hops are muted in the mouth. It's not gone, but it's on its last legs. Seems like the beer can't quite decide what it wants to be. Sour washes over the back of the mouth as the slight hoppiness sits gently on the front.

Not bad at all, but not great in any way. Not quite sour, not quite pale.

M: Heavily carbed, and you can tell it in the mouth. Very distinctly Belgian. The sour stays - not in a pucker, but in a deep, abiding... bad breath sort of way.

D: The after-taste/sour lingering isn't terribly pleasant. Alcohol is very well masked by the sour notes, making it more drinkable than it really should be.

It's a good, not great beer. Definitely in between styles - may be better either aged (to completely remove the hoppiness) or more fresh (to leave it there).

I'd rather drink the Hop Devil.

06-22-2011 02:06:05 | More by Ell
machostacos

Indiana

4.25/5  rDev +11%

Poured from caged & corked bottle into tulip. I'm a big fan of the standard HopDevil, so a Brett version = yes please!

A: A very gentle pour results in a towering rocky head that lasts and lasts and lasts. It took probably 5 minutes just to get a full glass. Pours a rich orange amber, a touch of haze, incredible effervescence, and very sticky lacing. Beautiful.

S: Wow this is yummy - the HopDevil base peaks through with its lovely caramel malts and floral hop character, though the Brett character is everywhere. Barnyard funk galore.

T: Outstanding. Beautiful hop character - floral and citrus with a mild bitterness sets the stage for lovely sweet Brett-infused caramel and biscuit malt character. Bittersweet aftertaste and a nice, long, smooth finish.

M: Lightish, a little creamy, with an almost mousse-like texture from the extreme carbonation. You definitely fight with the carbonation in this beer, and it's the same in the mouthfeel...maybe just a bit much.

O: While the classic HopDevil is evident behind all the Brett, this is certainly its own beer. I haven't had too many Belgian IPAs, but this is no slouch. I could go for a little more true IPA character, but it's hard to complain here.

06-05-2011 02:29:48 | More by machostacos
Jimmys

3.35/5  rDev -12.5%

750mL into snifter. man the cork came out with a bang. and so did the foam! this thing is going nuts out of the bottle and will hardly stay in my glass. not a good start.

A: a hazed orange blanketed with a dense white head. this head is huge and has great retention.

S: smells like a belgian. a chalky earthy characteristic most common. however, there is a vinous brett quality that peaks around as well. hard to tell this was an IPA to begin with there not being a large hop smell.

T: brett coming through on the palate much more than the nose. something is a slightly unpleasant though. tastes medicinal/band-aid-like. i know some of this may be expected because of the brett. wish there was a more pronounced hop body worked in as well.

M: not effervescent, but very very bubbly. the bubbles actually feel large, not fine and prickly.

D: not bad, just not living up to the hype i had in my mind. worth a try.

05-16-2011 02:41:20 | More by Jimmys
aeminter

A: Deep honey color. Thick off-white, rocky foamy head. Good head retention and lacing.

S: Slightly sour with a "farmhouse" quality...

T/M: The Belgium yeast balances out the hops very nicely. Mild citrus flavors and some very pleasant spice notes. Mid-ow carbonation and medium body.

O: A very tasty beer. I would like to have this one again, but as with most beer it is best enjoyed with others.

04-08-2011 16:01:48 | More by aeminter
Brez07

Maine

3.4/5  rDev -11.2%

750ml bottle, served in a snifer. Bottled 4/22/09. Opened about 2 months ago. I think I got this in the Secret Santa BIF

A: Pour dark orange, similar to an IPA. Massive head that slowly receded to roughly 1/2 finger. Decent lacing around the top of the glass

S: Lots of brett. In fact, mostly brett. Notes of lemon rind, cat piss and pepper. I'm indifferent about the smell

T: Certainly a good amount of funkiness with this one. Light tartness (was definitely expecting more). Faded, bitter hops. Other flavors I got were leather, wood and light lemon. The longer the beer opened, the more it moved towards being a funky IPA as some citrus appeared

M: Medium bodied. Light bitter, tart finish. Surprisingly light carbonation

D: This was interesting. Pretty sure I had it fresh and it had a much more bretty funk to it. Decent either way, but probably not one I'd age

03-31-2011 14:20:36 | More by Brez07
oglmcdgl

1.43/5  rDev -62.7%

A 09 bottle split with onix1agr and poured into duvel tulips.

A- a steady pour yields four big fingers of off white rocky head that rises and holds above the glass. When the head settles in time some nice chunky lace holds and holds. The body is a hazy deep copper orange in color. I gota say this looks great.

S- oh no! Something is wrong here. I get brett and lots of it but not in a good way. This smells like a dumpster full of nothing but band aids. There's a old ointment found under the sink and some wet laundry left in the washer for a few days. This just smells terrible. I've had a good amount of bretted ipa's including this fresh but something went wrong in this.

T- I'm finding it hard to swallow the first sip. Just really bad. Lots of medicine, like chewing an aspirin. Loads of bretty mustiness and a touch of bone dry biscuit. Each sip I find more tasking to swallow. Hops are completely gone. Light lemon zest buried in the back. With lots of warming it starts to pull together a bit but by the time you start to swallow it all falls apart.

M- a bit less then medium in body and big carb. So dry you can't even believe it.

O- overall this is either a bad bottle or past its prime, way past. I enjoyed the wild devil fresh not my fav but solid. I hoped with some time that the brett would kick in some more since it was very light fresh. This is closing in on abomination. I am challenged by each and every swallow and that's not in a good way. I will have to try another older bottle and some fresh again to see what's up.

03-24-2011 22:31:29 | More by oglmcdgl
Jesse13713

2.58/5  rDev -32.6%

Bottled on April 22nd, 2009. Quite disappointed in the dating since this was a new sight for me at the store. Poured into my Maudite tulip.

Appearance - Four full fingers of head that dissipate quickly into the glass. Soapy and very porous head qualities end up creating a clumpy froth in the end. The beer itself is murky pale brown that is quite bland looking. Opaque and appears to be thick and heavy. All in all, I am not too impressed with this beers appearance.

Smell - Uh oh. This smells like a baby's soured diaper. Well that's not any good at all. The slight tart citrus in the background is just completely masked by. . . well. Waste. This smells just absolutely horrible. A tart Belgian yeast smell lingers but is unpleasant.

Taste - Thankfully the taste is better than the smell. A very Belgian-like feel to this beer overall. Very full of yeast and lemongrass. Slightly sour and tart from start to finish. Not nearly as hoppy as expected; especially being derived from Hop Devil. Despite my love for sours, the slight tartness couldn't save this beer for me. It's just very rotten tasting overall. I did enjoy some redeeming qualities; such as the slight spice and brett yeast used.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability - An extraordinarily dry beer that leaves the tongue asking for water. As soon as I swallow, my mouth feels as parched a desert; like the liquid just disappeared into nowhere. Light bodied and appears too heavily carbonated at times. I was excited for this beer, thinking it would be different and unique. But it was a huge letdown for me. Not sure why this was even on the shelf. Perhaps they found it in the back? Either way, If I see a newer release I won't hesitate to pick it up and compare notes. But the taste itself does not appear to be skunked or infected.

03-24-2011 19:51:04 | More by Jesse13713
rtepiak

Poland

4.13/5  rDev +7.8%

this is an inpressive interpretation of a solid orval style bpa. a but cloud amber orange with a beautiful belgian blond head. contracts into cauliflower shapes. hard stuff to accomplish. nose of musk... brett hints and pine citrus that has hints of munich twig. palate is sweet but a cut of bitter. this is proper sweet. and its proper clean. another consistent foreign rendition by victory. and a elite form.

03-20-2011 01:18:52 | More by rtepiak
baldben

4.03/5  rDev +5.2%

Poured into chalice glass. Hazy honey color. Head of beige composed of huge bubbles; retains very well. Occasional patches of lace on the glass.

Strong citrus hop aroma with a sweetness to it.

Hops present upfront tending toward lemony. In the middle the Brett and malt presence begin to show up and the hops become spicier. Finishes with a strong wild yeast taste and a lingering zesty spice.

Luscious mouthfeel; the large bubbles play on the tongue.

A great twist to an already good IPA. A beer ponderable in complexity. Over indulging would bring greatly diminished returns. Savor this one.

03-13-2011 22:23:20 | More by baldben
philbe311

3.83/5  rDev 0%

I've been meaning to try this one for ages and finally got the chance tonight... Bottle was a bit of gusher... Dated March 27, 2009...

A - More than three fingers worth of light tan head with is both big and chunky as well as mildly creamy... A deep rich copperish bronze color with a faint amber hue... Burst at the seams with ultra rapid carbonation... Loads of lacing clings to the sides of the glass...

S - Belgian yeasts... Loaded with brettanomyces... Some grainy notes... A touch of tartness... Simple, straight-forward, slightly overpowering, but quite intoxicating none the less...

T - Yeast and brett are first and foremost and sit atop a strong hop base... Some distinctive sour notes emerge as well... Touches of pepper and spice...

M - Light to medium bodied... Intense hop bitterness... Exceedingly dry... Quite dense... Harsh intense carbonation on the tongue...

D - A very interesting offering from Victory... Rumor has it that it has been discontinued and I needed to try it before I lost the chance... Quite happy I did and would recommend others grab bottles if even the chance...

03-13-2011 02:52:55 | More by philbe311
tbrown4

Maryland

4.1/5  rDev +7%

750ml -> Dogfish Head Chalice. Split with my buddy Greg on brewing/bottling day. We're harvesting the yeast from this for our first sour. Bottling amber ale (Fat Tire clone). Brewing an experimental batch and a bourbon porter. Haven't had this brew in about two years. I remember enjoying it quite a bit at first taste, first full review is below.

A - Murky, apple cider appearance. Light brown. Big fluffy head and lacing.

S - Slight hop notes, sour citrus

T - Hops not nearly as present as I'd expect. Nice breadyness (almost like sour dough) with a sharp quick tartness.

M - Feels about medium bodied and very clean.

D - Very easy to drink as it's not incredibly high ABV and suprisingly not heavy on the palate. I'd drink this again without question. Seems to be a difficuly one to find around here.

03-12-2011 19:13:44 | More by tbrown4
SkeeterHawk

3.7/5  rDev -3.4%

Appearance: Pours a clear slightly burnt orange color with an enormous 4" head after a careful pour. There was a whole lot of force behind the cork when I touched it, but it didn't blow when I took the cage off. There are tons of bubbles rising, so I don't think that the head is going anywhere anytime soon.

Aroma: I started getting the leather as I was still pouring the beer, so the Brett is definitely there. There is some sweetness in there along with a healthy dose of American hops. The aroma is dominated by the Brett, but it has a defined complexity that is nice and somewhat unusual for an American beer.

Taste: The flavor follows the aroma pretty closely in the beginning, but the finish departs from the aroma completely. It has plenty of hops in the flavor, but they are very reserved in the finish. The beer starts out pretty dry and fizzy, but somehow in the middle of the profile the tides turn and the malt and sweetness start to show up and run things. There is a little bit of grassy and slightly citrusy hops in the finish, but the caramel, Brett, and Toasty malt are the predominant flavors to linger. The alcohol contributes a subtle warming, and is lightening the mood as I am about half-way through the glass. Overall the beer is medium bodied with somewhat high carbonation. It is somewhat heavy on the palate for a beer this wild, so I assume that they have a pretty substantial amount of longer sugars in this one to hold off the wild yeast. As carbonated as this was now, it may be a "popper" in a year or so...I dunno.

Opinion: Overall this is a pretty good beer. The Brett is definitely the showcased flavor in this one. I personally prefer my wild beers with some more depth than just Brett, but this is still a good beer, and I appreciate where a number of the braver commercial brewers are going...by unleashing the beast on their own breweries. I brew them myself, and it takes dedication as you really can't cross equipment after they have been "infected", so this is a bold statement. Victory brews top-notch beer, so hopefully this is indicative of the wild side to come. I am looking forward to it.

03-01-2011 06:56:11 | More by SkeeterHawk
drewd0g

4.22/5  rDev +10.2%

Wow what an awesome beer. If you liked superfriends this one should be right up ur ally.... something about hoppiness and funkyness really gets me going... look clear golden color. smells hoppy and funky. tastes sweet, than bitter, than a little tart. the combonation of hops and the brett fermentation is really great. i wish BA had a section for IPA's with Brett. Since they get mixed in with the categories Belgian and American IPAs.

02-27-2011 03:44:09 | More by drewd0g
Durge

Connecticut

3.3/5  rDev -13.8%

A hazy deep amber color with a decent white head and lots of healthy lacing. The aroma offers a pleasant sour Alka Seltzer citrus with mild wheat grain. The flavor comes on with a very odd chalky Pepto Bismal/Alka Seltzer idea. It's fizzy and brings some sour cherry. There's a vague cotton candy sweetness but mostly this offers pretty medicinal sour qualities. It's light to medium bodied and heavily carbonated. Modest drinkability and not really something I'm anxious to finish. Not sure what this is but it doesn't much matter.

02-26-2011 02:45:46 | More by Durge
bs870621345

3.15/5  rDev -17.8%

Rather disappointing offering from Victory, I see where they are trying to go, but I just think they fall short. Bottled in September 2009.

Pours an orange amber color with a HUGE head. The head fades after a while and leaves nice lacing down the glass.

Smells like grapefruit, bread, and funk. Its really not that funky.

Taste is grapefruit up front, bread in the middle, and funk on the end. The funk lingers on the palate, and is slightly unpleasant.

Mouthfeel is light and well carbonated. The carbonation doesn't clean the palate as I would like it to.

Drinkability is not good. Its not inviting and I'm struggling to get through this even with people taking sips from it.

I expected more, but I'm guessing I do not like 100% brett beers. I feel like without the sour component, the brett falls flat.

02-16-2011 02:57:33 | More by bs870621345
CuriousMonk

Pours a slightly hazy soft caramel color with a large fluffy off white head. The aroma has a moderate caramel maltiness with some hints of lightly toasted bread. There is still the nicely hoppy citrus fruits from the original Hop Devil along with the new funky Brett notes. The flavor has caramel and bready malts, Brett funk, mustiness, earthy, woody, and some IPA citrus hop bitterness and acidity. The finish is dry and lightly bitter. Medium-full body with good carbonation. Good beer, interesting to try once, but I would probably just drink the Hop Devil.

02-14-2011 18:19:57 | More by CuriousMonk
chrislehr

4.18/5  rDev +9.1%

Like this beer a lot. Picked up on a whim with some other brett beers I was trying.

First pour.. .25" of beer, 6" of head. Whoa. This continued until the fourth or fifth pour. Massive carbonation activity upon opening.

Head was full and frothy, almost drinkable on its own. Pours a cloudy amber color. Slight brett smell, which to me is close to a lemon gone moldy :)

Reduced brett on taste, its there, but the hops overpower it nicely. The brett is a welcome addition instead of an overpowering obsession.

Very nice. Will buy again and plan on longer pour times next time for sure.

02-12-2011 23:25:13 | More by chrislehr
BEERchitect

Kentucky

4.13/5  rDev +7.8%

Upon first taste, this ale seems much more akin to American Wild Ales with the hop influence for a complex (if not contradictory) sour/bitter interplay.

Aromas of bright lime, tart under rippened berries, dusty/musty/attic-like character shape the nose while bruised fruit (esters?) of peach, appricot, green apple, and pears add to the growing list of adjectives to describe the aroma. The hops nearly get lost because of the strong musty, leathery notes.

While pouring a rust-colored hazy hue, the beer caps with a firm and froathy yellowish head that retains very well and laces strongly all the while. A very nice look.

Acidic tartness takes over the taste immediately and really bring the lemon-lime and berry character to life. Backup notes of decayed woods, leather, and dried tobacco round out the mid palate along with the bruised fruit flavor and mild brown sugar sweetness. Finishing with a zesty hop bitterness and citrus rind flavor, this is the spot where the hops really make their mark and leave a lasting impression.

A carbonated fullness holds firm through the acidic notes early for a creamy effect that's short lived. a quick transition to dryness of alcohol, astringency, and bitterness keeps the beer very drinkable and refreshing in the finish.

The normal take on a Belgian IPA is to take a Tripel or Saison-like beer and hop it to IPA levels. This more complex and challenging base style is much more funky and in Wild Ale or Lambic fashion. It makes sense see where this beer can go; similar to a few of the more hoppy Jolly Pumpkin beers.

02-10-2011 16:17:58 | More by BEERchitect
cooch69

3.58/5  rDev -6.5%

Poured this beer from it's 750 bottle into a couple goblets. It was a murky deep yellow with notes of orange and a nice small bubly head.

Nose was Bretty which reminds me personally of a musty barn. Then there were some piney hops but they were'nt upfront as in the sister beers aroma.

The yeast continues to show through in the drink as a team player. It is not very strong but rather more of a balanced component. The hops although a little bitter were somewhat hidden when compared to Hop Devil.

I was expecting a bit more of a wild ride but than again it was'nt bad.

02-09-2011 17:28:13 | More by cooch69
drewba

2.78/5  rDev -27.4%

A - Pours a very effervescent golden orange. The head is colossal, two inches of head over the beer. The lacing is sticky and full.

S - Tart lemon, grassy funk, piney hops.

T - The lemon tartness maintains for the whole taste, the grassy and brett funk hangs around in the middle and the finish is a dull hop flavor; some grass and pine

M - thin body and massive overcarbonation is rough, not good.

D - I do not want to continue drinking this. It's worth noting that I had this fresh and the gross amount of hops + the funk made this a drainpour. At a few months old, it isn't quite a drainpour as the hops faded a lot.

02-05-2011 06:12:40 | More by drewba