Wild Devil - Victory Brewing Company

Wild DevilWild Devil

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Belgian IPA |  6.70% ABV

American IPA w/ Brettanomyces.

(Beer added by: Kadonny on 05-08-2008)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
elgiacomo

Georgia

3.5/5  rDev -8.9%

Dec 22, 2009

750ml bottle. Pours amber with a lively two finger off-white head. Maintains a nice cap down the glass. Some nice lacing.

My first brett experience.

Aroma is yeasty, bready, some light fruits, banana, citrus, some spice, and that funk I was expecting.

Flavor follows suit, funky, yeasty, bread, citrus, somewhat sour, and spice. Mostly dry finish.

High carbonation.

Nice, I'm intrigued.

01-11-2010 04:58:20 | More by elgiacomo
bgjohnston

Connecticut

4.15/5  rDev +8.1%

First off, the cork on this baby was barely being held in by the cage. It started sliding up as soon as the cage twisted off. An agressive pour was neither necessary nor desired to result in a glass 1/3 full of beer and 2/3 dense, off-white foam. Even when it settled down, a decent crust of foam remained on top of the beer. Robust carbonation, with many small bubbles.

The smell was distinctive of a solid wild ale. Funky, sour, hinting at sweetness. Taste was a refreshing affirmation of what the aroma promised. I picked up some bittering hop on the palate, and some light malt sweetness, but overall was rewarded by a tasty and refreshing sour flavor that I have enjoyed on much more expensive beers.

Mouthfeel was full without being cloying. Finish was dry and bitter, leaving me wanting the next sip, even when there was no more to be had.

A very good wild ale for an excellent price. I will definitely return to the store for more.

01-09-2010 23:48:02 | More by bgjohnston
FeDUBBELFIST

3.45/5  rDev -10.2%

From a 750 mL bottle to a wine glass. This beer was bottled on APR 22 2009. First off, there was not one person within reasonable distance strong enough to remove the cork on this bad boy. Looking to a corkscrew to assist me, my imagination soon conjurred images of self-inflicted black eyes, emergency rooms and embarrassment. I put it down and soon twisted the top of the cork right off. THE TOP OF IT ONLY...Nothing left to do put push the rest of the cork all the way through. VICTORY IS MINE! Finally.

A: Well this is gorgeous, isn't it? A tawny orangeish-brown body, murky and cloudy as hell. Absolutely huge head, mountainous and frothy. It seemed to last an eternity. Can I drink my beer already?

S & T: This beer has a wonderful aroma, but now I'm confused. Belgain IPA?!?!? That is highly debatable, at least for this bottle that *may* be past its prime. The Brettanomyces are huge and completely dominant. So strong, in fact, that I can't speak to any malt or hop character whatsoever. I get that Brett is used in some Belgian styles, I do, but when there is no hop character to speak of, I can't justify this beer as any kind of IPA. That said (and the Belgian IPA BS out the window) the aroma was good and very much like an American Wild Ale, the style to which the balance of my review will be based on. Prolific sour/funky/bretty aromas and flavors...barnyard, horse blanket, et cetera. Honestly, nothing else had a chance to come through. I think the wild yeast strands went...well, wild. The flavor lasted a long time, hit the right sweet notes, and flexed it's acidic muscles.

M: As wonderfully stimulating as most wild ales tend to be, the Wild Devil did not disappoint here either. There is an almost non-sensical addictive quality about a dry finish and a puckering mouthfeel. I don't question it.

D: The Wild Devil receives an average score here because, while I'm satisfied, I don't want or need another one. It is time for something else.

It seems as though I am in need of a fresher bottle. IF this beer can in fact be a Belgian IPA, I want to know.

01-07-2010 04:28:33 | More by FeDUBBELFIST
Brad007

Vermont

4.88/5  rDev +27.1%

Pours a beautiful amber color with a thick, frothy head that fades to leave a bit of lacing. Absolutely gorgeous presentation in my fluted tulip.

Aroma is a strong whiff of floral, grassy hops mixed in with the characteristics of the belgian yeast. Very floral and spicy.

Taste is full of grassy hops mixed with the characteristics of the yeast. Spicy with a hint of citrus and plum as well.

Mouthfeel is full of lingering spice, hops and plum. Very nice. Alcohol is well-contained and as a result, this beer is far more drinkable than I feel it should be. Just a hint of peach rolls off the tongue in the mouthfeel.

Very nice for the style. Marvelous and certainly worth a try if you enjoy the style. Very easy to drink as well.

01-05-2010 00:33:15 | More by Brad007
natelocc787

3.18/5  rDev -17.2%

I believe this is my first Belgian IPA. Atually no I had the Stone Cali-Belgique. Not an often produced style. That being said i wouldn't recommend this beer to anyone. My palate was pretty toasted but this beer did have a magnificent foam head to a golden orange color. Head crested the glass-lopsided and as tall as the glass itself. Not too much to the nose, an earthy, dirt aroma, ripe brown fruits and Belgian yeast. Even though there was a certain small tartness to the finish, overall I expected another top notch Victory brew and a complex, somewhat sour ale. More light citrus fruit in the taste with ripe, brown fruits, doughy yeast and honey. Mouthfeel was average. Just average. A bit of a letdown.

01-02-2010 06:20:01 | More by natelocc787
Chinon01

4.22/5  rDev +9.9%

Appearance: Foamy head with spotty lacing. Deep gazed honey gold color.
Nose: Spectacular nose of citrus chalk spice musk cologne very complex.
Taste: Same as nose with solid malt balancing tartness and spice. Finish isn't short but not as satisfying as I'd like it to be.
Mouthfeel: Really nice. Again the malt balances the spice.
Drinkability: Decent but due to style more than two would be a bit much.

12-31-2009 20:03:20 | More by Chinon01
mtstatebeer

West Virginia

3.78/5  rDev -1.6%

750 ml bottle, bottled on 22 Apr 2009. Almost killed the dog when the cork blew out, not a huge gusher or anything, but tons of head. Pours a golden amber color with a huge frothy off-white head, lots of lacing. Aroma is sweet caramel malts, citrus, earthy, and a bunch of the funk. Flavor is spicy, funky, caramel malts, earthy, a little fruity, and a slight hint of wood. Mouthfeel is medium, dry, well carbonated, acidic and bitter. Good one, definitely not your normal beer, warms well.

12-29-2009 02:35:38 | More by mtstatebeer
snaotheus

Washington

3.25/5  rDev -15.4%

750ml bottle (from Binny's in Orland Park) poured into a pint glass

Pours vague ruby-amber with a HUGE lumpy head and super lacing. Very slightly cloudy. Smell is interesting and not altogether pleasant. Smells a little sour, slightly soapy, dingy. Old wet clothes.

Taste is sour and bitter, soapy, cilantro. Hoppy, of course. Grapefruit sourness. Very bitter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is dry, heavy, and pleasant. Soapiness of the taste makes it a little difficult to drink.

12-27-2009 03:15:40 | More by snaotheus
TexIndy

2.75/5  rDev -28.4%

Poured from a 750ml corked and caged bottle into a tulip. No dating info. Was a hazy orange amber color with carb fount in center from the etching. It had a massive 4 finger fluffy off-white head that very slowly settled into a foam cap. Some lacing.

The aroma was more on the wild ale side with a big dose of funky brett. The IPA side was there as well but secondary. My favorite style is wild ale closely followed by anything hoppy so really expected to love this one. But, for me, they just didn't blend well. The IPA aroma muted the brett and the IPA aroma seemed off. The taste followed the aroma and was a mess. The IPA side was much stronger in the taste but the brett gave it a weird taste. Hard to drink it. Mouthfeel was medium with lots of carb and a horrible after-taste.

Overall, this one is a mess. Some things shouldn't be combined and I'd put wild ale and IPA in that category after tasting this one. Maybe I got a bad bottle otherwise it just didn't come thru. Can't recommend. Rotation - avail in TX but one and done especially at $11.

12-24-2009 01:54:18 | More by TexIndy
drink1121

4.13/5  rDev +7.6%

Poured from a corked and caged 750 compliments of kjsv034.
I poured it into a Duvel tulip with a HUGE head, way to big. Nearly a gusher.Color like an east-coast IPA.

S- A little funk at first, but a little more as it warms. Not much brett tatse, but just enough. Some nice piney, floral hops with a slight carmel malty flavor.

T- Very close to the taste, but a little more Bret character here, which is nice.

M- Good carbonation, nice feel in the mouth.

D- The Brett makes me not want another, but its a very good beer. I am sold on this beer.

12-18-2009 04:00:24 | More by drink1121
orbitalr0x

4.38/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

750ml bottle from the original bottling. Bottled Apr 22 2009. Super loud cork pop and pours into my glass a slightly hazy amber orange with a ton of carbonation creating a massive four finger head that's slow to recede. Aromas are big on hay and deep Brett funk upfront. Bright floral hops jump into the mix with crisp toasty malt and a light caramel. The Brettanomyces are the star of the show here though..very vibrant and earthy.

First sip brings smooth, lightly toasted malt with a bit of caramel along with a fusion of Brett funk and resinous, floral hops. Earthy notes with hay and a tart twang. Estery goodness as the Brett has really blossomed here. Flows down with a twist of hoppy bitterness. Finishes smooth with a lingering Brett funk. Really quite lovely.

Mouthfeel is on the light to medium side with tons of fast moving bubbles. I personally would have liked a bit less carbonation but I am guessing that the yeast just wouldn't have it that way. Overall, this is a wicked, wild, funky twist on Hop Devil and I am enjoying it thoroughly. I will have to track down another bottle or two, with the low abv it's easy to put away a 750.

12-11-2009 01:49:10 | More by orbitalr0x
woodychandler

3.55/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A finger's worth of soapy, foamy ecru lead with decent retention. Nose was much more sour than my beloved Devil. Color was a slightly cloudy lemon-yellow. Mouthfeel was medium with a hoppy, yeasty tang on the palate. Finish was highly unusual, with a light sourness competing with the expected bitterness.

My only concern arose from the idea that I have always considered Hop Devil to be a female and for her to have caught hold of a wild yeast strain?!? C'mon baby, you should know better.

Bottom line; it was interesting and for those die-hard afficianados of sour beers, this is something that you should try. For those of us who are less inclined, in our old age, to sharp sour-ish women, fear not, La Belle Diable still exists on cask.

12-09-2009 10:11:30 | More by woodychandler
Patrick999

4.33/5  rDev +12.8%

This is my celebratory beer for finishing the final part of the CPA exam. I don't know that I passed it at this point, but for the moment, I'm done.

A - Poured into an appropriately regal Westmalle chalice, the beer looks very appetizing. There's a crown of coarse-looking foam on top of a light amber body. Active carbonation streaming from the bottom of the glass.

S - Nose is of ripe pineapple, some musk, grass and pine.

T - While prevalent in the nose, pineapple carries over to the palate with only a small unsweetened hint. Taste is mostly hop-forward, with some piney hops leading the way amidst the expected Brett spicy leather. Definitely quite dry, with a lot of perceived spice and hops. Not Double IPA-style hopping, of course, but hoppy *for this style*, we're getting up there with this one. I'd like to pop an Orval next to this, because this seems like a good stab at an Orval-type beer.

F - Feel is maybe not as soft and luxurious as a Trappist, but if it's off, it's not off by much at all. Well-carbonated but not overly so, with a lot of palate-cleansing power.

D - I'm not sure I've had many better Belgian pales from an American brewery. This is a top-shelf American take on a classic Belgian style. It's drinkable without question, a dry beer with a lot of flavor at 6.7%, I'd take that any day. Victory just came to South Florida, and I'm digging them...they show some really nice range, and it's all quality.

12-06-2009 21:41:46 | More by Patrick999
bret27

3.75/5  rDev -2.3%

bottle courtesy of guy411

A: Cloudy yellow, dark, yeasty, Foamy head w/mod. lacing

S; Earthy, yeasty, light brett funk, soft minty hop presence.

T: Earthy, spicy, brett funk (mild), hop flavor at the end, but minty/leafy mild bitterness.

M: Thick n' slick

D: ok

Overall: Very balanced, nothing overpowering.

12-05-2009 23:40:01 | More by bret27
Hophead101

3.93/5  rDev +2.3%

had on 3.21.09 - poured from bottle into chalice beer glass

this is a great looking beer. heavy orange brown color with a fantastic head that stuck around for quite some time and was tan in color. the smell was interesting - crisp nose, some flowery hop aroma but subtle.

taste is nice. this is a nice twist on the classic hop devil beer. crisp and hoppy with a nice 'tang' - mostly due to brett (I assume). malt is what is tasted first but then a nice slightly sour hoppy taste. the funk hits mostly at the end combined with hops

another great beer from Victory

12-05-2009 19:17:30 | More by Hophead101
Trappissed

4.08/5  rDev +6.3%

A hazy golden color with a healthy head and good amount of lacing. I actually thought that this smelled a bit like pickles upon first whiff. Some fruity elements as well. Tasted more mild than anticipated. A good malty taste with some hop bitterness on the end. Some bubblegum that I have grown accustomed to in the Belgian styles.

Of course some brett funkiness throughout. I even taste some of that pickle that I got in the aroma. Its got to be the brett funk mixing things up. Just the right amount. Its definitely an interesting beer to say the least. Best beer I've had in this style so far, although I've tried just a few.

12-05-2009 08:49:36 | More by Trappissed
wenkalman

3.15/5  rDev -18%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a standard pint glass.

Appearance - Poured a very thick, large bubble head. Even when poured down the side of the glass. Hazy golden amber color. Head is yellowish/white with good lacing.

Smell - Strong spice notes really over power the hops that would be expected from this Belgian IPA. Slight citrus smell well hidden behind the spices.

Taste - First thing you taste is that "belgian" spice note, but then the hops come up right behind to give it a nice bitter ending. Well balanced flavor, leaning a little more to the sweetness expected from a Belgian Tripel. Seems to capture the best of both styles.

Mouthfeel - Has a good carbonation level, which gives it a tingle on the tongue. This is something I like with a Belgian farmhouse.

Drinkability - I wouldn't be able to drink much of this due to its sweetness, but thats because I am a hophead. The bitterness at the end is nice, but not enough for my taste. The first couple of sips were the best.

I would recommend this beer, more to a Belgian beer drinker then to an IPA fan. If you like them bitter and in your face, then you may not like the sweetness of this beer.

11-29-2009 20:54:57 | More by wenkalman
BeanBone

4.1/5  rDev +6.8%

Appearance: A relatively clear, copper-red body capped by a fluffy masses of off-white head that recede slowly and leave good lacing. As you reach the bottom of the bottle, plenty of yeast starts to come into play and the body fades to opaque.

Aroma: Lots of almost acidic funk from the Brett dominates at first, but underneath there's muted sweet malt component that plays well with the sour. My mouth is literally watering.

Flavor: Once again, the Brett characteristics dominate, which is fine by me. Not too much going on underneath all the funky fireworks, except a faintly sweet malt backbone and some mild, leafy hops. I don't recognize this as HopDevil at all. The bitterness builds as you progress through the bottle, and towards the end the pieces of the hop puzzle start to come together better. In the aftertaste, there's plenty of Brett character accompanied by the building bitterness and some grainy malt.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with lots of fine carbonation. Dries out in the finish.

Drinkability: If you're not put off by the funk, this is an easy drinking beer.

Verdict: I love HopDevil, and the idea of spiking it with some Brett was insanely appetizing. While I didn't get what I was expecting, the result is still a tasty, drinkable brew. Kind of a curveball really, WildDevil is an interesting, and worthwhile experience.

11-28-2009 16:12:54 | More by BeanBone
aubuc1

4.05/5  rDev +5.5%

750 ml bottle poured in to a goblet.

Pours a hazy orange with a steady flow of carbonation in to a huge off white head.

Smell is a peach and pineapple, creamy, yeasty delight.

Taste is a spicy, carbonated, smooth and hoppy.

Very creamy mouthfeel and the smooth taste is a delight to drink. Although different from other belgian ipas I have had, but very good.

11-23-2009 01:20:40 | More by aubuc1
sgoodship

3.78/5  rDev -1.6%

My wife was kind enough to pick this up for me while she was shopping because she thought I would find it interesting. I do!

Poured our of a 1 pt. 9.4 fl. oz. bottle with a champagne cork (which was a pain in the ass but pretty), it delivered an uncontrollably large head. It was amber stained and creamy. Soft, fine bubbles with very impressive head retention and good lacing. The beer was a murky amber color. German head, Belgian color?

The nose was sophisticated, floral and Belgian yeast. There was a little hop kick and malty sourness to it too.

The taste had a slight banana. It felt like there was hoppy but the backbone was so strong that it balanced the beer to the point where it was hard to get a read on who was driving. I'd have preferred the hops to get more in the driver seat. The fruit left a tang in the mouth., mixed with more malt in the finish, it left a chewy funky aftertaste that was pleasant.

Mouth was a clean, refreshing - like a dry lager finish. Light side of medium body.

I wish this brew had gone hoppier. I thought it was tasty and refreshing but it just didn't hit the spot for me. My overall takeaway was that enjoyed trying this beer and it enhanced Victory's reputation in my mind, even if I am not going to be searching for this specific brew in future.

11-22-2009 06:39:23 | More by sgoodship
illidurit

4.03/5  rDev +4.9%

No idea who brought this to our tasting. Pours gold with orange trim and a pale tan head. Aroma is very pungent with lots of lemons and oranges, golden apples, wild bretty dankness, grass, straw, hmm where have I experienced this before? This is surprisingly similar to that wild elixir of heaven called... Orval! Flavor is even reminiscent, although a little less so than the aroma. Resinous hops, grass, yeasty fruits, a pinch of salt, leather. Definitely an entirely different animal than HopDevil. A pleasant surprise.

11-21-2009 20:42:22 | More by illidurit
Daniellobo

District of Columbia

4.35/5  rDev +13.3%

A great meld of hops and Belgium funk. A bit surprising, maybe unusual, but Brettanomyces do wonders to the hoppy profile of this ale.

Presentation: 750 ml corked bottle. Simple and forgettable front label design with the hop devil over a Belgium flag color palette noting bottle conditioning. Back label describes the style and intent of the brew rather well. Shows an illegible stamped bottling date (maybe jan 10 09, but it is half erased.) and Alc. by Vol. (6.7%) Poured into a tulip glass.

A - Medium amber hazy pour with an extraordinary frothy head. Great retention and rich lumps of lacing as it progresses.

S - Rich hoppy funk. A tart profile over citrus and piney backdrops with some hints of malt embracing back again the Brett character.

T - Tart apple feel, raw cider at times, with a soft mustiness woven with some malty character that is embracing a crisp and assertive hoppiness, citrus peel.

M - Medium body with lively carbonation, a crisp, semi-dry and biting finish.

D - It grows on you. If one appreciates what Brett typically does or is willing to accept it and play with it for a while, this is a rather luscious brew.

Notes: This assertive funk hoppiness might be quite unusual, and maybe not for everyone. In fact, if the live yeast is not of one's liking this could be tough, but actually it works rather well, and feels very rich. It's a complex and strange brew, probably an acquired taste but the rotting fermentation is actually on a great hinge to unleash tart flavors woven with solid hoppy character. Not sure who I can share this with, yet, but it sure is a memorable brew.

11-19-2009 00:41:17 | More by Daniellobo
TheFightfan1

3.78/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a hazy amber color with a very thick eggshell colored heading that sticks around and leaves some very nice lacing till the last sip.

Smell is very fruity and very spicey hopped. Another very heavy floral wave hits you after a few ticks.

Taste is immediate with bubblegum. Then a crisp maltiness kicks in right in the middle when the spicey hoppiness takes and finishes the ride.

Mouth is medium bodied a little acidic on the palate but doesn't overkill. Finishes smooth and hoppy.

Drinkability is good nothing spectacular. After the bigger hype about this beer a few months back I was very eager to try it from the taps and it didn't dissappoint.

11-15-2009 18:38:26 | More by TheFightfan1
cichief

3.95/5  rDev +2.9%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a tulip glass.

A- Pours a nice deep amber with a thick off-white head. Very carbonated, had to pour in increments.

S- Spicy and inviting, the hops are subtle, they are there.

T- Hints of pepper, lots of hop overtone, hits of banana, clove and spices.

M- Maybe a little too carbonated, the beer wants to gush from the bottle.

D- A good beer, I prefer the Hop Devil, but this has that funky Belgian taste.

11-15-2009 02:14:53 | More by cichief
jzeilinger

3.8/5  rDev -1%

Bought this one in a 750 ml bomber right at Victory Brewing Company several months ago when it was first released. We had it on tap that particular day and it tasted "young" which is why I opted to age teh bottle for several months. What I'm tasting now is completely different than the tap version several months ago. Pours an amber orange with and produced a three finger high head with incredible amounts of carbonation. There's definitely some happy yeast in this beer! Holy cow! Had to take a few scoops of the head off the top with a spoon. (sorry folks, terrible thing to do) The malt aroma makes it smell somewhat of a German beer, smell some hops, earthiness, a little citrus, pine aroma.

The taste is not at all what I expected. Compared to the early, young version, this has really matured BIG TIME. Former version just tasted like a weird Hop Devil, almost similar. Now? Tastes Like a Farmhouse Ale meets Germany, meets Downingtown. Get some malts, lemony pepper, hops, bitter dry finish that is a little bit sour like a farmhouse ale. This is really an interesting combination. Complex, alot of different flavors going on. A little acidic, medium body. The beer lives up to its name, definitely.

This is a great beer from Victory, creative, well brewed, interesting for an enjoyable glass or two but I couldn't drink more than that. This is a weird one.

11-15-2009 00:21:56 | More by jzeilinger