Yakima Glory - Victory Brewing Company

Yakima GloryYakima Glory

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Black Ale |  8.70% ABV

According to the brewery's website: "A dark IPA".

Available November to January.

(Beer added by: sholland119 on 12-06-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Yakima Glory Alström Bros
2.25/5  rDev -43.2%

Rekrule, Jan 01, 2013
2.3/5  rDev -41.9%

A: Dark copper in color with proper head and carbonation. Darker than expected because of dark malts I suspect.

S: Very ordinary for a Strong APA

T: Not great, one dimesional and lacks complexity. The style suggest the alcohole and hops are dominant yet that's all you taste.

M: Ordinary and not much to report.

D: drinkability is low except most of this type of beer is.

Overall this is one of my favorite styles of beer except this beer won't be purchased by me again. Others have compared this to Stone Brewing's Arrogant Bastard IIPA yet, that is an excellent beer and this does not compare...unimpressed yet, many others are.

jlipski, Mar 11, 2010
2.33/5  rDev -41.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Copper color with orange highlights. Has a thin tan head with little lacing. The aroma is grapefruit peeling, orange peeling, and toasted bread. I hope it tastes better than it smells.

Sadly, it tastes just like it smells. The grapefruit and orange peeling with toasted bread malt do not go together well, and I find this to be rather disappointing.

Medium bodied with medium carbonation. Finishes bitter and dry. This is not a beer I would recommend or try again.

hardy008, Jan 03, 2011
2.45/5  rDev -38.1%

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a dark amber color with a 1 inch head. Smell is of hops. Taste is very hoppy, some pine, definatly way to bitter for my liking. Feels bitter in the mouth and 1 of these was enough for me. Overall if you are into hop bombs, this may be for you, otherwise avoid it.

tone77, Jan 31, 2010
2.48/5  rDev -37.4%

A conservative pour yields a substantial light brown head. Very thick, the head was not quick to dissipate , but after several minutes a nice, rocky, dense head formed a tight lacing. Ruby-amber in color, this beer looks like a dark belgium strong, but with a darker tinted foam.

I get some dry hopping up front, which could be what some other people on the site are referring to as soapy. I recently brewed an all centennial pale with 1oz. of centennial for the dry hop for a week and I would bet that this sucker is dry hopped with that hop. A generous amount of melanoidins balance the grassy hop aroma. while I perceive a suggestion of burnt, buttered toast, and dark caramel, I could use a little more balance and a little less hop per the aroma of the grist contents.

Too bitter. I wanted to defend this brew, but the bitterness is not at an optimal balance for me. Too biting, the finish comes almost immediately leaving me no time to sense any kind of hop/malt union. (I will taste again in 8 minutes after some warming). *After 8 mins. The grassy hops are more apparent, but the soapiness grows also. All that is left from the malt is scorched carbon.

Good mouthfeel up front, but the hop resins in the too quick finish abruptly interrupt any dextrinous texture by drying out the palate absolutely.

I like Victory brewing. Prima Pils, Storm King, Whirlwind... they're all great, however I am disappointed in this brew. I taste a giant load of Centennial with too much 300+ Lovibond malt. (I want to say roasted barley, but Chocolate surprises me sometimes at the roastiness, parhaps sopme black patent. Anyways, a miss for my palate, but others seem to like it and I would say that a little less roasty, more toasty, with a better hop bill would make this beer an "A" for me. I love the concept, not crazy about the product.

tapman, Jan 16, 2010

Poured from a bottle into my SA Perfect Pint glass

A - Ruby-brown with a big foamy tan head resting on top.

S - Citrusy hops with a mix of dark malts including hints of vanilla and caramel. Even lighter hint of booze lies in the background.

T - Citrus hops at first followed by a roasty malt aftertaste. This beer finishes kind of bitter like a burnt pot of coffee. Not a pleasant aftertaste. All the flavor seems to stick around on the top of my tongue. This beer seems like it could be tweaked and made into something that tastes great but right now I don't taste much complexity and the aftertaste is not great.

M - medium body with a bit too much carbonation.

D - Not all that great of a beer. The aftertaste is really off putting. It seems like this beer could be tweaked a bit and would come out great but as of now I am not a fan and will not seek this out again.

jpmclaug, Jun 08, 2010

ONN8, Jan 14, 2012

enginero, Mar 11, 2012

drewburning25, Mar 01, 2012
2.55/5  rDev -35.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a tulip glass.

A: Clear, dark brown color with one finger of diminishing cinnamon-tinted foam head.

S: Husky but also vinous fermented grain shares the smell with dark earthy hops and fruit. Fusile alcohols and carbon dioxide are also detected, suggesting an uncomfortable drinking experience to come.

T: Begins sweet, awash with acidity that seems to mask and muddle other flavors early. There is certainly malt in there, tasting of toffee, fruitcake, and candy sugar, but the hop flavors tend to get lost in amongst the acidity. Flavors dry out considerably toward the middle, where a whiff of bitter grapefruit peel emerges, passing by the waning acidity. The finish is dry, roasty, herbaceous, and definitely bitter with the grapefruit peel quality lingering. A fair amount of booziness is detectable throughout.

M: Thin to medium viscosity, slightly sticky but very harsh--burning the palate from the tip of the tongue to the back of the throat--with prickly carbonation.

D: This beer is massively flawed, not really requiring further dissection in that regard. What is interesting is the stylistic place from where this beer takes its inspiration. Whereas most black IPAs inherit their dark "genes" from a beer of porter or stout parentage, leading to a dominating black roast/coffee malt profile, this beer seems to have decidedly Belgian roots. Stylistically its dark qualities remind of a quad--albeit not a very refined one. With hop flavors that are mostly dark as well--nuanced, perhaps--there just isn't the expected clash that somehow ends up working in the best examples of this style. As a strong sipper this beer is not an unqualified mess, but Yakima Glory lags behind many other, worthier, examples of the style.

beagle75, Dec 31, 2010
2.6/5  rDev -34.3%

Maybe it was my palate (though I doubt it), Maybe it was a dirty tap line, or maybe its because the restaurant i had it at told me it was a double IPA but christ I hated this beer...

When the beer was set down, I noticed it was a bit dark, but no darker than the DFH my buddy was drinking. Naturally I thought nothing of it... The smell was my first indicator that i didnt know what I was messing with. smell was stale and dry. Taste... also stale and dry. very dry. I handed it to my friend. He tried and also made a face of a baby being spoon fed gerber spinach... This is all I have to go on here but I vow to change my review if I somehow stumble upon one of these and it doesnt suck ass

gregmoscetti, Dec 11, 2009
2.68/5  rDev -32.3%

Appearance: Dark brown
Smell: A bit harsh on the nose
Taste: hard hop bite, caramel to coffee in flavor
Mouthfeel: heavy and thick
Overall: Admittedly not my style and certainly shouldn't have tried it for the first time in summer. Was not refreshing at all, but could see the appeal to someone who enjoys a dark ale.

Ahoyhoyindeed, Jul 14, 2011
2.73/5  rDev -31.1%

Hmm. Smelled a little, um, powerful. This one could hurt.

I bought the single bottle, and I'm happy I only bought one. This just isn't my mug of beer.

Poured into a clear beer mug (nothing fancy, I know), it was a dark brown, with some head, not too much, not too little.

The taste was OK, nothing great. Very bitter aftertaste. I'm not a huge fan of bitterness, but somebody recommended this one to me. Maybe they just wanted me to get drunk. It had some citrus rind, maybe some raisin, pretty complex.There was plenty of carbonation, maybe an 8 out of 10 for carbonation.

Drinkability, nah. Maybe if you had a few of these you could keep drinking them. But at some point (at 8.7%), you would pass out. I would only recommend somebody having 1 of these. That is more than enough. I guess I would have one of these if I was late for a tailgate and needed to get liquored up quick.

These hoppy/bitter beers just aren't my thing. I like stouts. Keep that in mind when reading this review. Peace in the hood.

righthereisay, Dec 20, 2009
2.73/5  rDev -31.1%

A- A dark amber color with a manilla colored head of foam. Great head retention and lots of lacing.

S- Earthy caramel malt with lots of pine. There's also a nice sweet grapefruit aroma that is very pleasant.

T- After a great start with appearance and taste, it goes downhill fast. It tastes of bitter pine, with some bitter malt at the end. Mostly pine though, nothing else. It's like Victory thought they could just put hops in and it would end up good. This taste isn't pleasant.

M- Moderate body with high amounts of carbonation. The bitterness from the taste dries your mouth and makes this hard to go down.

O- I really dislike it when breweries put hops upon hops in their beers. Hops does not make your beer good. There's so much more to a beer and it annoys me when the only attribute I can really describe is the hop, and the hops used in this beer are very simple and have no complexity to them at all.

Efay, Feb 09, 2013

Peyton5410, Dec 01, 2012

aminobutyricacid, Oct 15, 2012
2.8/5  rDev -29.3%

On the bottle it says enjoy by dec 17 2010 b5

A- poured a dark amber color. slightly transparent with a tan colored head. medium heavy lacing.

S- just a sweet alcohol scent. nothing special.

T- just really sweet. sweet malt kinda biscuity. it takes a couple sips to really pull out the hops which are just dominated but the sweet malt.

M- medium bodied. good carbonation.

D- i'm glad i only bought a single.

Overall- i was expecting alil more from this brew. just sweet malt with hardly any hops to back it up. i guess it's just a malt lover's ale.

claminat420, Mar 23, 2010
2.8/5  rDev -29.3%

12 fl oz bottle poured into my pint glass

Pours a very dark murky brown(to dark copper)color with a two inch slightly tan frothy head. Great head retention with little amounts of lacing.

Slight citrus smell with dark bread like malts.

Dominating biscuit like malts with a slight bitterness in the end.

Medium bodied with low to medium carbonation

Not really a beer I would choose to try again

tr4nc3d, Jan 29, 2010
2.85/5  rDev -28%

Appearance: minimal head, dark chestnut brown in color, cloudy, moderate carbonation

Smell: cocoa and floral hops. Very weak for the style that usually has bolder smells

Taste: A caramel start with some floral hops on the finish. Alcohol is noticeable.

Mouthfeel: medium carbonation, light body,sweet start with a sharp bitter body and finish

Overall: OK for the style. I like this style a lot and this one is more hop forward and less roasty. I like a bit more balance as I generally like this style. Not a bad beer, but not one I would go for again given all the better alternatives in the style.

tigg924, May 26, 2011
2.85/5  rDev -28%

Pours a very clean, deep brown. Nearly opaque from the side, when held up to the light it shows off its redhead roots. Cap is light tan, with "toad's eyes" bubbles. This soon fades down to a soapy film. Had to save the last little bit back in the bottle due to yeast.

Aroma is very citrusy, bright, with notably sour elements of pure grapefruit juice. Exceptionally fresh, there's still a strong whiff of the brewery here, a little spent yeast, a little grassiness. Way at the back, a sober note of graphite rises in the back. Decent, but has flaws.

Chalky, dark malts hit the palate first. A flavor of chestnuts appears mid-palate, but is quickly overwhelmed. The hops disappear almost entirely into the background, and a aggressively sour, quinine-like lash carries through the difficult swallow. Remarkably unpleasant -- and that comes from someone who usually loves both sour and bitter flavors, Double IPAs and Cantillon alike.

Mouthfeel is fine and mellow.

Drinkability is a tricky beast -- it's not a pleasant beer, but the intoxicating strength of it begins to convince you it's better than you originally thought. Sadly, that's all it is.

I expected so much more from this beer, and it has flaws that could be easily corrected. This is sold as a Dark Double IPA, but the flavor of the dark malts is almost completely overwhelmed. More aroma hops, a little less on the bittering end, a chance for the roaster's art to shine; this has potential, and I hope to see a more balanced formulation should they brew it again next year. Sadly, this time around, it seems to have missed the mark.

ithacabaron, Nov 21, 2009