Yakima Glory - Victory Brewing Company

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Black Ale |  8.70% ABV

Beer added by: sholland119 on 12-06-2008

According to the brewery's website: "A dark IPA".

Available November to January.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Yakima Glory Alström Bros
Reviews: 768 | Hads: 1,636
2.74/5  rDev -30.5%

Hmm. Smelled a little, um, powerful. This one could hurt.

I bought the single bottle, and I'm happy I only bought one. This just isn't my mug of beer.

Poured into a clear beer mug (nothing fancy, I know), it was a dark brown, with some head, not too much, not too little.

The taste was OK, nothing great. Very bitter aftertaste. I'm not a huge fan of bitterness, but somebody recommended this one to me. Maybe they just wanted me to get drunk. It had some citrus rind, maybe some raisin, pretty complex.There was plenty of carbonation, maybe an 8 out of 10 for carbonation.

Drinkability, nah. Maybe if you had a few of these you could keep drinking them. But at some point (at 8.7%), you would pass out. I would only recommend somebody having 1 of these. That is more than enough. I guess I would have one of these if I was late for a tailgate and needed to get liquored up quick.

These hoppy/bitter beers just aren't my thing. I like stouts. Keep that in mind when reading this review. Peace in the hood. (1,016 characters)

2.79/5  rDev -29.2%

On the bottle it says enjoy by dec 17 2010 b5

A- poured a dark amber color. slightly transparent with a tan colored head. medium heavy lacing.

S- just a sweet alcohol scent. nothing special.

T- just really sweet. sweet malt kinda biscuity. it takes a couple sips to really pull out the hops which are just dominated but the sweet malt.

M- medium bodied. good carbonation.

D- i'm glad i only bought a single.

Overall- i was expecting alil more from this brew. just sweet malt with hardly any hops to back it up. i guess it's just a malt lover's ale. (555 characters)

2.81/5  rDev -28.7%

12 fl oz bottle poured into my pint glass

Pours a very dark murky brown(to dark copper)color with a two inch slightly tan frothy head. Great head retention with little amounts of lacing.

Slight citrus smell with dark bread like malts.

Dominating biscuit like malts with a slight bitterness in the end.

Medium bodied with low to medium carbonation

Not really a beer I would choose to try again (398 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -28.2%

A- A dark amber color with a manilla colored head of foam. Great head retention and lots of lacing.

S- Earthy caramel malt with lots of pine. There's also a nice sweet grapefruit aroma that is very pleasant.

T- After a great start with appearance and taste, it goes downhill fast. It tastes of bitter pine, with some bitter malt at the end. Mostly pine though, nothing else. It's like Victory thought they could just put hops in and it would end up good. This taste isn't pleasant.

M- Moderate body with high amounts of carbonation. The bitterness from the taste dries your mouth and makes this hard to go down.

O- I really dislike it when breweries put hops upon hops in their beers. Hops does not make your beer good. There's so much more to a beer and it annoys me when the only attribute I can really describe is the hop, and the hops used in this beer are very simple and have no complexity to them at all. (915 characters)

2.84/5  rDev -27.9%

Appearance: minimal head, dark chestnut brown in color, cloudy, moderate carbonation

Smell: cocoa and floral hops. Very weak for the style that usually has bolder smells

Taste: A caramel start with some floral hops on the finish. Alcohol is noticeable.

Mouthfeel: medium carbonation, light body,sweet start with a sharp bitter body and finish

Overall: OK for the style. I like this style a lot and this one is more hop forward and less roasty. I like a bit more balance as I generally like this style. Not a bad beer, but not one I would go for again given all the better alternatives in the style. (603 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -26.9%

Pours a very clean, deep brown. Nearly opaque from the side, when held up to the light it shows off its redhead roots. Cap is light tan, with "toad's eyes" bubbles. This soon fades down to a soapy film. Had to save the last little bit back in the bottle due to yeast.

Aroma is very citrusy, bright, with notably sour elements of pure grapefruit juice. Exceptionally fresh, there's still a strong whiff of the brewery here, a little spent yeast, a little grassiness. Way at the back, a sober note of graphite rises in the back. Decent, but has flaws.

Chalky, dark malts hit the palate first. A flavor of chestnuts appears mid-palate, but is quickly overwhelmed. The hops disappear almost entirely into the background, and a aggressively sour, quinine-like lash carries through the difficult swallow. Remarkably unpleasant -- and that comes from someone who usually loves both sour and bitter flavors, Double IPAs and Cantillon alike.

Mouthfeel is fine and mellow.

Drinkability is a tricky beast -- it's not a pleasant beer, but the intoxicating strength of it begins to convince you it's better than you originally thought. Sadly, that's all it is.

I expected so much more from this beer, and it has flaws that could be easily corrected. This is sold as a Dark Double IPA, but the flavor of the dark malts is almost completely overwhelmed. More aroma hops, a little less on the bittering end, a chance for the roaster's art to shine; this has potential, and I hope to see a more balanced formulation should they brew it again next year. Sadly, this time around, it seems to have missed the mark. (1,599 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -26.1%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass - Thanks, Nick.

A - pours a ruddy brownish black color with 2 fingers of head, moderate lacing

S - Smells strongly of plum, with a dirty or earthy aroma as well - not digging this.

T - bitterness is harsh with a kiss of sweet malts. Interesting, but not great.

M - low carbonation, bitterness doesn't linger too long

D - The bitterness is just too unbalanced, with the sweet malts imparting a twangy flavor that just isn't appealing to me. Will not seek out another. (511 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -25.6%

A great head, this frothy, sticky brews looks like an imperial amber. The froth is milkshake-like, and as it slowly dissipates, thick lacing latches on to my glass sides. It looks brown and it looks strong, and the appearance leaves me hopeful....

The nose is less alluring, as hop and malt presence tussle for notice, but neither one seems to win. And, unfortunately, it's not like the balanced effect accomplishes aroma. There's a carbonated amber from malt and barley, and enough hops to have them just leave the surface. Though less optimistic, I'm still hopeful....

Rich and malty, I wanted more hops. It's got a picture of a hop on the bottle, for cyring-out-loud! I know it's not a DIPA, but there's a picture of a hop!! Isn't it?? It tastes like a regular strong ale, but a bit bland and new. At 8.7%, it's not really strong. With a one-year max freshness duration, it's blah. Shouldn't strong ales be ripe for cellaring? The carbonation is well-done (as I'd expect from Victory), but it's just a hop-influenced malt beer. Though I'll go with a relatively average rating, I must admit I'm disappointed. In fact, the feel is where I'll take it down a notch. Malt blahness, it's left begging for more hop influence. Kinda rich without significant backing, it feels like a miss. As for drinkability, I will not be seeking this one out again.... (1,351 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -25.1%

A 12 oz bottle purchased at the Brass Rail. I wasn't enamored with the first release, so I'm hoping for some improvement.

A: The strong ale is a chestnut brown color, lightened with orange hues and still translucent. A huge, and I mean huge, head on first pour made a bit of a mess. As the 4 fingers of craggy head receded, dense walls of lace were left behind.

S: The nose is dominated by dark malts, chocolatey with a baker's chocolate edge. A dripping hop presence, overloaded even, is barely able to get through the excess malts.

T: Black IPA? More like a molasses IPA. I'm getting a strong blast of blackstrap up front. The hops barely make it through the thick depth of the those malts. Chocolate and burnt toast are also prominent, but not so much as the molasses. Late in each sip a boozy wall hits you. Sorry, I just can't get into this beer.

M: The mouthfeel is heavy, too much malt, too many hops, too hot. I appreciate the fullness but it is too busy.

D: I just can't get into this beer. It's all over the place and I don't like it. (1,049 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -24.9%

Had this on 2010-11-26 at The Library in Pittsburgh.

A - Dark copper with 1" head and light lacing.

S - Pretty strong hop floral and medium grain. Not much citrus.

T - Some caramel malt, hop bitterness and way too much pepper for my tastes.

M - Medium body and carbonation.

D - Not my cup of tea. The pepper was too over the top and I left the glass only half drained. (378 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -24.4%

Best by 30NOV12

Pours a dark brown with a solid sheet of toasted cracker foam, the ale is surprisingly translucent. Lots of pine and resin in the nose with a bit of spruce character; the malts are toasted and like a brown ale: some tea character, a touch of spice and rye bread. Flavor is toasted malts, refined and soft bitterness and plenty of pine flavor. The malts are slightly spicy and a bit dry. Thin body with hi carb and a slick finish. This beer was worth trying, not sure I'd seek it out often. (506 characters)

Bottle: Poured a clear black color ale with a average size foamy head with good carbonation and light lacing. Aroma of dry roasted malt with light resin and piney notes is satisfying. Taste is more focused on dry roasted malt then hops though some resin and piney notes still comes trough. Body is light with good carbonation. Not sure if I had an old bottle or what but this is below the standard of the style. (411 characters)

3.02/5  rDev -23.4%

Pours a hazy copper/amber color with a thin tan head that leaves decent lacing. Doesn't look like a black IPA to me.

Nose is medicinal, muted and not very appealing.

Taste is better than the nose, sweet malts, some bitterness, but not very IPA like. The nose is ruining the taste for me

Don't know if bad tap lines or what, but I this did not taste or smell like I expected it to. (383 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -22.6%

I had off the tap at Barcade in Williamsburg, Brooklyn.
A- It has a dark reddish brown color to it, with a decent foamy head and with some lacing. Somewhat opaque.
S- Weird baby powder smell to it or something. Not a fan, really.
T- Very bitter aftertaste. It has a fruity, pearish taste to it, perhaps apple. Strange hop taste that just throws me off a little. Quality, but not in love with it. (395 characters)

12oz bottle poured into shaker

This beer is not really black, it's kind of a dark red to brownish colour. The best part about this beer is the nice, light tan, rocky head. Nose is kind of off as well as the taste. It doesn't have enough of that roasty character associated with this emerging style. It was almost like they were scared to fully commit to the process and sort of just stopped half way through. Yakima hops are good tasting but with the sense of incompleteness in the roasting, they are left to fend for themselves. An okay beer, not great though. Probably won't come back. (588 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -22.3%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

A-Deep copper beer, relatively clear with a bit of floaties, and exhibiting lots of rising carbonation bubbles. Big, frothy tan head was overflowing out of the pint off the pour (almost), sustained wonderfully.

S-A unique mixture of hop aromas and malt forwardness.

T-Hop flavor is distincty pine/resiny, which melds throughout a toasty, nutty maltiness. Any malt sweetness was drowned out by resiny hops and an assertive bitterness. Finshed with a residual hoppy flavor and slight toasty-coffee aftertaste.

M-Surprisingly, the carbonation was not overpowering as it appeared out of the bottle, but instead a relatively moderate level. Mouthfeel was on par with expectations.

D-Really, this brew kind of lacks drinkability for me., to an extent. I think it's flavor profile is unique, which deserves merit, but it just isn't there for me. (883 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -22.3%

On tap at Tria. Pours dark brown with a small thick tan head. Aroma of citrusy hops. Flavor of roasted malt with a slight citrusy finish. Astringent and a harsh palate. Just a little too harsh and bitter for me.
Aroma: 6/10
Appearance: 4/5
Flavor: 6/10
Palate: 3/5
Overall: 14/20
(3.3/5 (286 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -21.8%

A-Brown with huge head, lots of carbonation.

S-A unique mixture of hop aromas and malt forwardness.

T-Hop flavor, coffee and caramel malts. Uneven bitterness linger

D-Seems unbalanced... (318 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -21.8%

A: Brown/dark mahogany with a huge blooming khaki head. Sticky lacing.

S: Toast, carmel malt and a little bit of pine hops. Subdued nose.

T: Toasty bread malt with a touch of carmel sweetness. Pine/bitter hops. The hops have a slight spice to them. A hint of unfermented sugars and alcohol near the end, it is almost 9%abv. Something about the taste isn't agreeing with my palate.

M/D: Medium body. Active, bubbly carbonation that is a little harsh on the tongue. Nothing special at all in the drinkability department. Alcohol is not hidden at all. The taste isn't bad, but its just not doing much for me. I'm good for one and ready to move on. Odd beer with an odd taste profile. (683 characters)

Served in a pint glass

A: pours a deep amber color bordering on a brownish red, pours with a thin amount of creamy head that quickly disipates

S: incredibly sweet smelling brew backed up by and overwhelming maltiness

T: very malty brew, doesn't have the sweetness of taste that was detected in the scent

D/M: overwhelming maltiness really dominates the pallet and in my opinion it is not a good thing. Drinks heavy and finishes the same. Leaves a lingering malty taste in the mouth (485 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -21.8%

A: Perfect copper tone, with 2" of foamy head when poured into a straight edged pint.

S: A bit of alcohol is apparent behind the very forward hops. One of the strongest smells I've noticed from a beer. My sense of smell is not the best, and this one really hit me right from the pour.

T: I like the combination of hop forward flavor and rich malts, but the finish is very bitter, and the alcohol flavor is not quite balanced on my palette.

M: Fairly carbonated, I would describe this one as lively and refreshing.

D: The bitterness of the finish leaves me wanting to switch beers after just one. Not sessionable.

Overall, I'm glad I tried it because it is an interesting brew. Not one of my favorites, but I wouldn't turn one down, and I may try it again (five more in the fridge anyway). (793 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -21.1%

This beer pours a dark brown almost black color. The head is absolutely massive, and recedes at a glacial pace. This is a very attractive looking beer. The aroma is grapefruit, pine, with some malt underneath. It is rather underwhelming for a beer of its strength. Its real weakness is its lack of any sort of complexity. In fact, I think I would like it even less if it were stronger as its blandness would be more in my face. The taste is a mirror image of the aroma, and equally dull too. There is a noticeable bitterness in the finish, but that doesn't really improve anything. The mouthfeel is full bodied with moderate carbonation, and a smooth texture. Overall, this is a big disappointment. I could see how this beer might be enjoyed by the crowd who's only criteria for to be good is strength. But I'm not in the crowd, and I expect more from a beer. (859 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -20.8%

12oz bottle - enjoy by nov 2012

More of a dark mahogany than black. 2 finger tan head that dissipates down to a frothy 2cm that laces the glass. Smell is chocolate, malt, and hops. Well balanced and inviting. Taste has the same malt and chocolate as the nose, but the bitter hops dominate- and not in a good way. It numbs the tongue and goes flat.

Worth a try, but something I won't revisit. (394 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -20.6%

12oz bottle (best by 11/23/11) poured into a tulip glass

A: Pours dark brown/red with stiff 1+ finger head that takes a while to dissipate. Leaves good lacing.

S: Floral and leafy hops, some citrus (lemon mainly), roasted malts.

T: Just like the nose, Lots of hop presence. There's the leafy hop flavors right up front with the lemon/grapefruit citrus bursting through the top. This is in counter-point to the roasted malt base that has a good bit of slightly burned caramel and licorice. I get maybe a hint of chocolate at the beginning and returning for the finish. While not overwhelming, there's is a good bit of bitterness, especially in the finish. The Finish is dry, char, and leafy hop bitterness. It leaves a really bitter leafy aftertaste that I find unpleasant (pretty much any dark beer with leafy hops), almost like chewing on dry, bitter grass root.

M: Medium carbonation, medium body, extremely resinous, I find the mouthfeel a bit harsh, mainly due to the clashing of the leafy bitter hops and dark roasted malts.

D: I imagine this is a pretty good example of the style, but I just find the flavors to clash and leave a unpleasant aftertaste. One and done is good for me. I'll scale the grade with style in mind. (1,235 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -20.1%

Poured from a bottle with a use by of Nov. 30, 2012.

Appearance: Mahogany in glass, basically clear. Thick 3-finger foamy light brown head. Plenty of lacing in glass, minimal carbonation/bubbling.

Smell: Definite fruity hops, but with another rather strange smell within, malty, yeasty.

Taste: OK, I know this sounds strange, but here goes: A (very) quick taste of fruity hops which is immediately overwhelmed by malts and...well...the taste of liquid fiberglass (!!!) The bitterness very quickly builds up on your tongue. I am drinking this on a fresh palate. The alcohol is fairly well hidden and not dominant, like you'd think in an almost 9%ABV beer. I just burped...Empty stomach, but the flavor of this beer-burp was like redoing a surfboard!! I have never experienced a flavor like this in a craft...

Overall: If you like extremely bitter hop-beers, then you'll like this one. The bitterness factor is growing at an exceptional pace as I continue drinking this.
As I prefer crafts with a mother-lode of fruitiness (Like Pliny and Alesmith-X), I'll pass on this one. (1,076 characters)

Yakima Glory from Victory Brewing Company