Yakima Glory - Victory Brewing Company

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Black Ale |  8.70% ABV

Beer added by: sholland119 on 12-06-2008

According to the brewery's website: "A dark IPA".

Available November to January.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Yakima Glory Alström Bros
Reviews: 768 | Hads: 1,635
2.98/5  rDev -24.4%

Best by 30NOV12

Pours a dark brown with a solid sheet of toasted cracker foam, the ale is surprisingly translucent. Lots of pine and resin in the nose with a bit of spruce character; the malts are toasted and like a brown ale: some tea character, a touch of spice and rye bread. Flavor is toasted malts, refined and soft bitterness and plenty of pine flavor. The malts are slightly spicy and a bit dry. Thin body with hi carb and a slick finish. This beer was worth trying, not sure I'd seek it out often. (506 characters)

Bottle: Poured a clear black color ale with a average size foamy head with good carbonation and light lacing. Aroma of dry roasted malt with light resin and piney notes is satisfying. Taste is more focused on dry roasted malt then hops though some resin and piney notes still comes trough. Body is light with good carbonation. Not sure if I had an old bottle or what but this is below the standard of the style. (411 characters)

3.02/5  rDev -23.4%

Pours a hazy copper/amber color with a thin tan head that leaves decent lacing. Doesn't look like a black IPA to me.

Nose is medicinal, muted and not very appealing.

Taste is better than the nose, sweet malts, some bitterness, but not very IPA like. The nose is ruining the taste for me

Don't know if bad tap lines or what, but I this did not taste or smell like I expected it to. (383 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -22.6%

I had off the tap at Barcade in Williamsburg, Brooklyn.
A- It has a dark reddish brown color to it, with a decent foamy head and with some lacing. Somewhat opaque.
S- Weird baby powder smell to it or something. Not a fan, really.
T- Very bitter aftertaste. It has a fruity, pearish taste to it, perhaps apple. Strange hop taste that just throws me off a little. Quality, but not in love with it. (395 characters)

12oz bottle poured into shaker

This beer is not really black, it's kind of a dark red to brownish colour. The best part about this beer is the nice, light tan, rocky head. Nose is kind of off as well as the taste. It doesn't have enough of that roasty character associated with this emerging style. It was almost like they were scared to fully commit to the process and sort of just stopped half way through. Yakima hops are good tasting but with the sense of incompleteness in the roasting, they are left to fend for themselves. An okay beer, not great though. Probably won't come back. (588 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -22.3%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

A-Deep copper beer, relatively clear with a bit of floaties, and exhibiting lots of rising carbonation bubbles. Big, frothy tan head was overflowing out of the pint off the pour (almost), sustained wonderfully.

S-A unique mixture of hop aromas and malt forwardness.

T-Hop flavor is distincty pine/resiny, which melds throughout a toasty, nutty maltiness. Any malt sweetness was drowned out by resiny hops and an assertive bitterness. Finshed with a residual hoppy flavor and slight toasty-coffee aftertaste.

M-Surprisingly, the carbonation was not overpowering as it appeared out of the bottle, but instead a relatively moderate level. Mouthfeel was on par with expectations.

D-Really, this brew kind of lacks drinkability for me., to an extent. I think it's flavor profile is unique, which deserves merit, but it just isn't there for me. (883 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -22.3%

On tap at Tria. Pours dark brown with a small thick tan head. Aroma of citrusy hops. Flavor of roasted malt with a slight citrusy finish. Astringent and a harsh palate. Just a little too harsh and bitter for me.
Aroma: 6/10
Appearance: 4/5
Flavor: 6/10
Palate: 3/5
Overall: 14/20
(3.3/5 (286 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -21.8%

A-Brown with huge head, lots of carbonation.

S-A unique mixture of hop aromas and malt forwardness.

T-Hop flavor, coffee and caramel malts. Uneven bitterness linger

D-Seems unbalanced... (318 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -21.8%

A: Brown/dark mahogany with a huge blooming khaki head. Sticky lacing.

S: Toast, carmel malt and a little bit of pine hops. Subdued nose.

T: Toasty bread malt with a touch of carmel sweetness. Pine/bitter hops. The hops have a slight spice to them. A hint of unfermented sugars and alcohol near the end, it is almost 9%abv. Something about the taste isn't agreeing with my palate.

M/D: Medium body. Active, bubbly carbonation that is a little harsh on the tongue. Nothing special at all in the drinkability department. Alcohol is not hidden at all. The taste isn't bad, but its just not doing much for me. I'm good for one and ready to move on. Odd beer with an odd taste profile. (683 characters)

Served in a pint glass

A: pours a deep amber color bordering on a brownish red, pours with a thin amount of creamy head that quickly disipates

S: incredibly sweet smelling brew backed up by and overwhelming maltiness

T: very malty brew, doesn't have the sweetness of taste that was detected in the scent

D/M: overwhelming maltiness really dominates the pallet and in my opinion it is not a good thing. Drinks heavy and finishes the same. Leaves a lingering malty taste in the mouth (485 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -21.8%

A: Perfect copper tone, with 2" of foamy head when poured into a straight edged pint.

S: A bit of alcohol is apparent behind the very forward hops. One of the strongest smells I've noticed from a beer. My sense of smell is not the best, and this one really hit me right from the pour.

T: I like the combination of hop forward flavor and rich malts, but the finish is very bitter, and the alcohol flavor is not quite balanced on my palette.

M: Fairly carbonated, I would describe this one as lively and refreshing.

D: The bitterness of the finish leaves me wanting to switch beers after just one. Not sessionable.

Overall, I'm glad I tried it because it is an interesting brew. Not one of my favorites, but I wouldn't turn one down, and I may try it again (five more in the fridge anyway). (793 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -21.1%

This beer pours a dark brown almost black color. The head is absolutely massive, and recedes at a glacial pace. This is a very attractive looking beer. The aroma is grapefruit, pine, with some malt underneath. It is rather underwhelming for a beer of its strength. Its real weakness is its lack of any sort of complexity. In fact, I think I would like it even less if it were stronger as its blandness would be more in my face. The taste is a mirror image of the aroma, and equally dull too. There is a noticeable bitterness in the finish, but that doesn't really improve anything. The mouthfeel is full bodied with moderate carbonation, and a smooth texture. Overall, this is a big disappointment. I could see how this beer might be enjoyed by the crowd who's only criteria for to be good is strength. But I'm not in the crowd, and I expect more from a beer. (859 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -20.8%

12oz bottle - enjoy by nov 2012

More of a dark mahogany than black. 2 finger tan head that dissipates down to a frothy 2cm that laces the glass. Smell is chocolate, malt, and hops. Well balanced and inviting. Taste has the same malt and chocolate as the nose, but the bitter hops dominate- and not in a good way. It numbs the tongue and goes flat.

Worth a try, but something I won't revisit. (394 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -20.6%

12oz bottle (best by 11/23/11) poured into a tulip glass

A: Pours dark brown/red with stiff 1+ finger head that takes a while to dissipate. Leaves good lacing.

S: Floral and leafy hops, some citrus (lemon mainly), roasted malts.

T: Just like the nose, Lots of hop presence. There's the leafy hop flavors right up front with the lemon/grapefruit citrus bursting through the top. This is in counter-point to the roasted malt base that has a good bit of slightly burned caramel and licorice. I get maybe a hint of chocolate at the beginning and returning for the finish. While not overwhelming, there's is a good bit of bitterness, especially in the finish. The Finish is dry, char, and leafy hop bitterness. It leaves a really bitter leafy aftertaste that I find unpleasant (pretty much any dark beer with leafy hops), almost like chewing on dry, bitter grass root.

M: Medium carbonation, medium body, extremely resinous, I find the mouthfeel a bit harsh, mainly due to the clashing of the leafy bitter hops and dark roasted malts.

D: I imagine this is a pretty good example of the style, but I just find the flavors to clash and leave a unpleasant aftertaste. One and done is good for me. I'll scale the grade with style in mind. (1,235 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -20.1%

Poured from a bottle with a use by of Nov. 30, 2012.

Appearance: Mahogany in glass, basically clear. Thick 3-finger foamy light brown head. Plenty of lacing in glass, minimal carbonation/bubbling.

Smell: Definite fruity hops, but with another rather strange smell within, malty, yeasty.

Taste: OK, I know this sounds strange, but here goes: A (very) quick taste of fruity hops which is immediately overwhelmed by malts and...well...the taste of liquid fiberglass (!!!) The bitterness very quickly builds up on your tongue. I am drinking this on a fresh palate. The alcohol is fairly well hidden and not dominant, like you'd think in an almost 9%ABV beer. I just burped...Empty stomach, but the flavor of this beer-burp was like redoing a surfboard!! I have never experienced a flavor like this in a craft...

Overall: If you like extremely bitter hop-beers, then you'll like this one. The bitterness factor is growing at an exceptional pace as I continue drinking this.
As I prefer crafts with a mother-lode of fruitiness (Like Pliny and Alesmith-X), I'll pass on this one. (1,076 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -19.8%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a tulip pint.

A--Deep plummy chestnut body, quite handsome for the season, with a two finger creme colored head. Decent lacing but retention wasn't all that impressive given the hop levels here.

S--Again, the hops are fine, they're big and floral and raw, with some real biting astringency that comes through even in the aromas. But given how deep the body looks, where are the sniffs of malt? I get very little caramel or munich or spicy rye--I can /see/ it; I just can't /smell/ it. If you blindfolded me I'd think this was Smuttynose Finest Kind.

T--And..the comparison holds for the taste profile as well. Pretty much tastes like Smutty's IPA, with lovely citric, floral, and a little pine on the back end from the hops, except I feel more light headed when I'm finished the bottle. SN Celebration has a bigger malt profile, and it's lighter in body! So, let's review: darker body, without more complexity in the profile, and I get drunk faster. Enh, no thanks.

M&D--No complaints on the mouthfeel, as it's sufficiently smooth and carbonated. But I don't think I'll be going back for more.

I'm not Victory hater, not by far, but why the hype on this one? Tastes sloppily hopped and simplistic to me, but I may be missing something. (1,274 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -19.8%

12 ounce bottle poured into a Duvel tulip. Far from black; more like a brownish amber. The pillowy tan head and sticky lacing make up for the hue misfire.

There's no shortage of citrus and grass in the nose, a touch of chocolate, but little in the way of dark roast. Taste is more of the same; it's more like a malty (but flavorful) east coast IPA instead of a proper CDA. Plenty of pine and grassy hops with a nice juicy citrus presence as well. Respectably bitter. Finish is all juicy hops and caramel; where's the roast? I'd be scoring this significantly higher as a regular IPA, but as a CDA it falls flat. On a positive note, it's more bitter and flavorful than most east coast IPAs. (689 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -19.8%

Pours dark, almost maple syrup in color. Good head that retains and laces nicely. The smell is reminiscent of Christmas trees. Might be the same smell/taste experienced by Clark Griswald in National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation as he opens the family tree. Lots of sap in here! Anyhow, aftertaste is a little harsh at first but smoothes out nicely as it goes down. I like this better than many of the hoppy pale ales out there since the dark malts help to smooth it out a bit. Recommended if you want a hoppy adventure from Victory. (532 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -19.3%

Poured into hoegaarden mug/glass

Pours a dark amberish brown color, with a nice head and nice head retention as I drink. Smells of hoppy scent with sort of some chocolate, maybe oatmeal type malt. Very different than most beers I have had. Taste different. Mostly hops on the back end, and some up front as well. Can't really describe the malt flavor very well. Can taste a bit of alcohol at the tail end as well. Medium, to heavy body. Low carbonation.
Overall this is a decent beer, nothing I would go out of my way to get though. (534 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -19.3%

Poured a super dark amber color with a thick frothy tan head. The head hangs around for awhile. Aroma is of alcohol, citrus, and bitter hops. Woah. Taste is super dry and bitter with a light sweet malt hint. But the hops dominates and the alcoholic dryness dries the lips. There is a weird fungal/burning rubber flavor that is kinda bugging me. Especially in the burp stage of the brew. Feel is super sharp from the carbonation. This is interesting but not something i would need all the time. This isn't a disaster but it's not very drinkable.

My esophagus is warm. (567 characters)

3.19/5  rDev -19%

On tap at Mccooles.

A- Deep copper color with red hues. This looks a bit like a lager. Off white, slight brown head.

S- I'm left searching a bit here. Hints of hops, and strong carmel roast malt. More of a malt profile in the nose. But the hops are somewhat weak.

T- Starts as a chocolate roasty malt sweetness. Flavor then transitions into a fruity hop profile. Mostly citrus and orange. Then it rounds out with a milky creamy taste.

M- Medium to full bodied brew with medium carbonation. Mouth is up and down. Starts out smooth and rich, then a tingly bitterness, and then smooths out again. Pretty interesting.

O- Definitely an interesting brew. I like the combo here in the taste, but the nose was a bit of a let down. (728 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -18.8%

Aromas being with a hoppy bouquet which reveals grapefruit and floral notes mostly, really quite tropical. It's strong, but not overwhelming. I

Tastes are really hoppy, too much so considering the malt, but much more balanced than others of the style. The florals are as apparent and it's more of the typical American Citrus/Pine, but still, it's a hop-tea. This is really why I didn't like IPAs for so long. It's not more bitter than others of the style but just less balanced.

Overall this beer is decent. (509 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -18.8%

12 oz bottle. No bottling dates. Reviewed on 2/13/11.

Dark brown body, similar to the color of a mud puddle. Fizzy, brownish head that's short and disappears quickly.

Roasted tones on the nose. Chocolate covered oranges. Floral and honey suckle sweetness. Some caramel malts.

Floral at first, leading to a chocolate sweetness in the middle. Bright, sour citrus flavors from the hops. Roasty, coffee like bitterness. Very dry, and doesn't linger much in the mouth.

An average example of the style, but with so many better versions out there, I won't be seeking this out again. (579 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -18.5%

This one poured a very dark amber/brown color with a good amount of head an decent lacing on it. The smell is pretty heavy with alcohol, not all that pleasant. Taste is heavy caramel malt with some alcohol taste coming through. Not bad, but could be better I think. Medium mouthfeel, not too smooth though. OK beer, but not great. I'd try it again, but won't search it out. (373 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -18.5%

A large pour at TMac, brownish red with a light tan head some lacing don the sides as I drank.

Smell was really understated, couldn't detect much. The pine hop taste hits you hard and then the malt sweetness kicks in.

It hits the tongue light with the harsh bitterness of the hops and then feels heaveier by the aftertaste. Drinkability is OK, but more than one would be a bit too much IMHO. (393 characters)

Yakima Glory from Victory Brewing Company