Yakima Glory - Victory Brewing Company

Yakima GloryYakima Glory

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Black Ale |  8.70% ABV

According to the brewery's website: "A dark IPA".

Available November to January.

(Beer added by: sholland119 on 12-06-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Yakima Glory Alström Bros
beef13

01-27-2012 15:35:53 | More by beef13
jraras

4.03/5  rDev +1.5%

Definitely a "dark ale" vs. "black". Ruby red/chestnut brown colors. The head forms beautifully, 1.25 fingers of light brown and quickly reduces to a slight ring. Nice lacing and plenty of carb visible as it keeps the ring intact. Quite a nice looking view from the side/top angle in my Stone RIS snifter.

Off the bat lots of hop aromas, but as I get into the glass less, but still materially there. Carmel malts and a bit of bread smell, but still hops. No lack of hops for me here. I'm sure freshness or a lack thereof would play a large part in variances between reviews on the hop profile.

Citrusy and resiny. Awesome! There's a bitter punch and as an herbal flavor that I love, but can't describe all that well.

Solid mouthfeel--certainly not thin, but doesn't linger with viscosity. However, the bitter/herbal/citric goodness does linger and for that I'm grateful.

I love this stuff, drink time I see it on tap and keep a six pack around as long as it lasts.

01-27-2012 03:26:15 | More by jraras
gkob

01-27-2012 01:01:52 | More by gkob
J23hc

4.43/5  rDev +11.6%

Pint glass, Lots of malt on this nose, sweet smelling, a little licorice & dark fruit, hint of coacoa with some herbal and citrus hops. Nice appearance as well, ruby red bordering black. Burnt flavor, toffee, ashy, a little coffee, lots of hop bitterness adding just enough balance. Definitely would drink again

01-25-2012 18:45:43 | More by J23hc
tlazaroff

3.5/5  rDev -11.8%

Nothing much on the nose, unfortunately. I was really looking forward to a big hop burst, but I got almost nothing of the sort. There is a little floral note on top of some rich caramel maltiness.

The beer looks beautiful. I knew it was hoppy but didn't know it was an American Black Ale. It pours like a porter with a nice slightly off-white head. Lacing is generous but the head drops into the beer quickly.

The taste is where the hops are in Yakima Glory. I get a nice burst of light citrus in the front, but it finishes with heavy floral notes. There is a little bit of roast, which I don't care for in my ABA's, but it's not distracting enough to take away from the beer at all. Nice job on the flavor creations here.

It's somewhat heavy on the body, but not quite in the heavy category. Carbonation is quite high, between your standard APA and Belgian beer I would say. Finishes dry, just how I like them.

Overall this is a fine beer, I would probably buy this again over most other ABA beers out there. I enjoyed it.

01-24-2012 03:44:57 | More by tlazaroff

01-21-2012 00:47:58 | More by morebeergood
StonedTrippin

Colorado

3.88/5  rDev -2.3%

this aint a black ale, but thats okay! pours a deep deep ruby red meets chocolate brown color. huge rising white head, lacey. hectic yeast floating around. smells very very hoppy, but rounder than an ipa, big sweet dark malt aroma too. taste like a big ipa, many different hop characteristics here, piney and floral, but really sturdy. malt sweetness comes in later adding nice depth. mouthfeel is on the heavy side, and the alchohol is present on the tongue. not as carbonated as maybe it could be, and a little heavy in the tummy. not a session brew, but a good starter for the evening.

01-21-2012 00:11:01 | More by StonedTrippin
psuwiz99

3.63/5  rDev -8.6%

A: not as dark as I expect, more brownish. Pour into a pint glass, not much head.

S: smell the hops, but not overly strong.

T: hoppy up front, but it doesn't linger for long. not quite as roasty as I'd like in a black ipa

M: just average mouthfeel. medium carbonation

O: This is a good brew, just not quite what I was hoping for in a "black" ipa. It's very easy to drink though and I'll have to try it on draft at some point.

01-20-2012 21:50:27 | More by psuwiz99
elNopalero

4.13/5  rDev +4%

I felt like using my Christmas gift so I poured this into my Bell’s wheat beer glass. What’s the technical term for it? Ah, I don’t know. After reviewing on a regular basis I pretty much stopped mentioning the type of glassware I was using. But I’m doing so this time since it’s a cool effect.
Sometimes improper glassware leads to fun results. And this beer looks good in a wheat glass. So sue me.

It pours a malty burnt caramel color. Rich, dark malt. Took my time pouring and topped it off with several fingers of thick, toast-colored billowy foam that dissipated into a heavy layer of cream. Looking good, Yakima Glory, looking good!

I wasn't sure of the classification (at the time I had it) but I didn't think it was a Cascadian pale ale. Not dark enough. Hoppier than an amber, and stronger too. Aromas aren’t giving it away so let’s move on to tasting it.

There’s definitely a subdued hoppiness on the palate. Bitter, sharp, a little herbal. There’s a light maltiness to balance it out without being too sweet and I taste the alcohol, more than I’d expect to for a 8.7% brew. I’m liking but not loving this one. Layer in some more roast, perhaps, to match the hops, or dial back the booze and I’d really dig this one.

01-20-2012 20:39:10 | More by elNopalero
RappAttack

3.78/5  rDev -4.8%

A: a dark amber almost red
S: smells like pinetrees
T: piney hop bitterness with a hint ofsweet malts at the fiish
M: light carbonation and very refreshing
O: a good one here folks. it reminds me of winter storm from heavy seas with a nice little sweet malty goodness at the end. price-per-sixpack is a little steep but this is something i will buy again

01-20-2012 04:08:27 | More by RappAttack
jayhawk73

Maryland

3.45/5  rDev -13.1%

Pours a dark brown with crimson highlights. Average lacing on the side of my snifter glass. Way darker than I was expecting. The nose is pine, spruce, citrus, with a slight tinge of caramel malt. Fairly hoppy nose on this beer... nice. The taste follows the exact profile as the nose- the pine, spruce are really out front on the taste. Feel is medium, crisp, w/ major hop bite and a very dry finish. Overall, an interesting and good brew. Cheers.

01-20-2012 02:15:53 | More by jayhawk73

Hopstimatic

01-19-2012 02:52:16 | More by Hopstimatic
kylehay2004

3.5/5  rDev -11.8%

Single finger head, not much lacing on a clear amber body. Aroma is Toasty, nutty and malty. Hazelnut in particular. Pine and coffee. Some roasted malt in the taste. Has a burnt element and decent piney hops. Medium body and moderate carbonation. It is a very complex beer and hardto appreciate all of its elements. May be a little too complex.

01-19-2012 01:55:31 | More by kylehay2004
jra173

01-18-2012 21:03:30 | More by jra173
MrKennedy

Australia

3.48/5  rDev -12.3%

12oz bottle from Cellarbrations Carlisle, poured into a Golden Monkey tulip. Thanks to bluebetty for grabbing this!

Pours a dark colour, a lot of red shows up against the light. Nice tan head of foam that laces very well and gets a bit of orange about it when agitated.

Chocolate, roasted and burnt chocolate comes through with the smell. Sensing a fair bit of hop-fade. Little bit of light pine late that comes in to show what was probably the brewers intention.

Taste is a mix of chocolate cookies, cocoa and some hop pine along with pine resin. Seems to work well, the chocolate first and the pine later.

Mouthfeel is full. Sweetness early and some bitterness late to even things out. Body is on the bigger side, adding some punch to this.

Even though it was sourced through the official channels, it doesn't seem to have the punch that was intended. Still, its a good go at the style. Plenty of chocolate in this, would still buy again. I do like how Victory seem to work with their beers, with this another beer that is just fun to drink.

01-18-2012 10:05:11 | More by MrKennedy