Yakima Glory - Victory Brewing Company

Yakima GloryYakima Glory

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Black Ale |  8.70% ABV

According to the brewery's website: "A dark IPA".

Available November to January.

(Beer added by: sholland119 on 12-06-2008)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Yakima Glory Alström Bros
jtierney89

1.3/5  rDev -67.3%

This beer had parts about it that I loved, and parts I hated.

It is a very nice looking beer with a nice copper color and a super head that retains very well. The smell of the beer is nice, consisting mostly of oily hops. The mouth feel is good being slightly carbonated and medium bodied. The beer starts very malty, but almost instantly these malts vanish and your left with spicy hops that linger for far too long. Bad hops with no midrange flavor profile.

Some things were nice about this beer but some things weren't as well.

10-02-2011 05:05:19 | More by jtierney89

Indiana

01-27-2014 02:10:48 | More by NooseJustice
coopbrewer

2.1/5  rDev -47.1%

A: Dark reddish brown; minimal head

S: Odd aroma; difficult to characterize; almost like an unpleasant mix of burnt malts and earthy hops

T: Malty up front then harsh hop bite takes over; rather unbalanced in my view

M: Thick and sweet at first with harsh hop bite soon following

Overall: Not a fan of this beer; I have enjoyed other brews of this style much more; Clown Shoes Hoppy Feet comes to mind.

08-22-2011 14:53:01 | More by coopbrewer

2.25/5  rDev -43.3%

01-01-2013 03:28:10 | More by Rekrule
jlipski

2.3/5  rDev -42.1%

A: Dark copper in color with proper head and carbonation. Darker than expected because of dark malts I suspect.

S: Very ordinary for a Strong APA

T: Not great, one dimesional and lacks complexity. The style suggest the alcohole and hops are dominant yet that's all you taste.

M: Ordinary and not much to report.

D: drinkability is low except most of this type of beer is.

Overall this is one of my favorite styles of beer except this beer won't be purchased by me again. Others have compared this to Stone Brewing's Arrogant Bastard IIPA yet, that is an excellent beer and this does not compare...unimpressed yet, many others are.

03-11-2010 03:04:55 | More by jlipski
hardy008

2.33/5  rDev -41.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Copper color with orange highlights. Has a thin tan head with little lacing. The aroma is grapefruit peeling, orange peeling, and toasted bread. I hope it tastes better than it smells.

Sadly, it tastes just like it smells. The grapefruit and orange peeling with toasted bread malt do not go together well, and I find this to be rather disappointing.

Medium bodied with medium carbonation. Finishes bitter and dry. This is not a beer I would recommend or try again.

01-03-2011 01:04:15 | More by hardy008
tone77

2.45/5  rDev -38.3%

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a dark amber color with a 1 inch head. Smell is of hops. Taste is very hoppy, some pine, definatly way to bitter for my liking. Feels bitter in the mouth and 1 of these was enough for me. Overall if you are into hop bombs, this may be for you, otherwise avoid it.

01-31-2010 15:01:26 | More by tone77
tapman

2.48/5  rDev -37.5%

A conservative pour yields a substantial light brown head. Very thick, the head was not quick to dissipate , but after several minutes a nice, rocky, dense head formed a tight lacing. Ruby-amber in color, this beer looks like a dark belgium strong, but with a darker tinted foam.

I get some dry hopping up front, which could be what some other people on the site are referring to as soapy. I recently brewed an all centennial pale with 1oz. of centennial for the dry hop for a week and I would bet that this sucker is dry hopped with that hop. A generous amount of melanoidins balance the grassy hop aroma. while I perceive a suggestion of burnt, buttered toast, and dark caramel, I could use a little more balance and a little less hop per the aroma of the grist contents.

Too bitter. I wanted to defend this brew, but the bitterness is not at an optimal balance for me. Too biting, the finish comes almost immediately leaving me no time to sense any kind of hop/malt union. (I will taste again in 8 minutes after some warming). *After 8 mins. The grassy hops are more apparent, but the soapiness grows also. All that is left from the malt is scorched carbon.

Good mouthfeel up front, but the hop resins in the too quick finish abruptly interrupt any dextrinous texture by drying out the palate absolutely.

I like Victory brewing. Prima Pils, Storm King, Whirlwind... they're all great, however I am disappointed in this brew. I taste a giant load of Centennial with too much 300+ Lovibond malt. (I want to say roasted barley, but Chocolate surprises me sometimes at the roastiness, parhaps sopme black patent. Anyways, a miss for my palate, but others seem to like it and I would say that a little less roasty, more toasty, with a better hop bill would make this beer an "A" for me. I love the concept, not crazy about the product.

01-16-2010 05:39:20 | More by tapman
jpmclaug

South Carolina

Poured from a bottle into my SA Perfect Pint glass

A - Ruby-brown with a big foamy tan head resting on top.

S - Citrusy hops with a mix of dark malts including hints of vanilla and caramel. Even lighter hint of booze lies in the background.

T - Citrus hops at first followed by a roasty malt aftertaste. This beer finishes kind of bitter like a burnt pot of coffee. Not a pleasant aftertaste. All the flavor seems to stick around on the top of my tongue. This beer seems like it could be tweaked and made into something that tastes great but right now I don't taste much complexity and the aftertaste is not great.

M - medium body with a bit too much carbonation.

D - Not all that great of a beer. The aftertaste is really off putting. It seems like this beer could be tweaked a bit and would come out great but as of now I am not a fan and will not seek this out again.

06-08-2010 22:54:19 | More by jpmclaug

03-01-2012 15:01:58 | More by drewburning25
beagle75

Iowa

2.55/5  rDev -35.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a tulip glass.

A: Clear, dark brown color with one finger of diminishing cinnamon-tinted foam head.

S: Husky but also vinous fermented grain shares the smell with dark earthy hops and fruit. Fusile alcohols and carbon dioxide are also detected, suggesting an uncomfortable drinking experience to come.

T: Begins sweet, awash with acidity that seems to mask and muddle other flavors early. There is certainly malt in there, tasting of toffee, fruitcake, and candy sugar, but the hop flavors tend to get lost in amongst the acidity. Flavors dry out considerably toward the middle, where a whiff of bitter grapefruit peel emerges, passing by the waning acidity. The finish is dry, roasty, herbaceous, and definitely bitter with the grapefruit peel quality lingering. A fair amount of booziness is detectable throughout.

M: Thin to medium viscosity, slightly sticky but very harsh--burning the palate from the tip of the tongue to the back of the throat--with prickly carbonation.

D: This beer is massively flawed, not really requiring further dissection in that regard. What is interesting is the stylistic place from where this beer takes its inspiration. Whereas most black IPAs inherit their dark "genes" from a beer of porter or stout parentage, leading to a dominating black roast/coffee malt profile, this beer seems to have decidedly Belgian roots. Stylistically its dark qualities remind of a quad--albeit not a very refined one. With hop flavors that are mostly dark as well--nuanced, perhaps--there just isn't the expected clash that somehow ends up working in the best examples of this style. As a strong sipper this beer is not an unqualified mess, but Yakima Glory lags behind many other, worthier, examples of the style.

12-31-2010 03:52:45 | More by beagle75
gregmoscetti

2.6/5  rDev -34.5%

Maybe it was my palate (though I doubt it), Maybe it was a dirty tap line, or maybe its because the restaurant i had it at told me it was a double IPA but christ I hated this beer...

When the beer was set down, I noticed it was a bit dark, but no darker than the DFH my buddy was drinking. Naturally I thought nothing of it... The smell was my first indicator that i didnt know what I was messing with. smell was stale and dry. Taste... also stale and dry. very dry. I handed it to my friend. He tried and also made a face of a baby being spoon fed gerber spinach... This is all I have to go on here but I vow to change my review if I somehow stumble upon one of these and it doesnt suck ass

12-11-2009 22:44:28 | More by gregmoscetti
Ahoyhoyindeed

2.68/5  rDev -32.5%

Appearance: Dark brown
Smell: A bit harsh on the nose
Taste: hard hop bite, caramel to coffee in flavor
Mouthfeel: heavy and thick
Overall: Admittedly not my style and certainly shouldn't have tried it for the first time in summer. Was not refreshing at all, but could see the appeal to someone who enjoys a dark ale.

07-14-2011 15:39:25 | More by Ahoyhoyindeed
righthereisay

2.73/5  rDev -31.2%

Hmm. Smelled a little, um, powerful. This one could hurt.

I bought the single bottle, and I'm happy I only bought one. This just isn't my mug of beer.

Poured into a clear beer mug (nothing fancy, I know), it was a dark brown, with some head, not too much, not too little.

The taste was OK, nothing great. Very bitter aftertaste. I'm not a huge fan of bitterness, but somebody recommended this one to me. Maybe they just wanted me to get drunk. It had some citrus rind, maybe some raisin, pretty complex.There was plenty of carbonation, maybe an 8 out of 10 for carbonation.

Drinkability, nah. Maybe if you had a few of these you could keep drinking them. But at some point (at 8.7%), you would pass out. I would only recommend somebody having 1 of these. That is more than enough. I guess I would have one of these if I was late for a tailgate and needed to get liquored up quick.

These hoppy/bitter beers just aren't my thing. I like stouts. Keep that in mind when reading this review. Peace in the hood.

12-20-2009 21:14:24 | More by righthereisay
Efay

2.73/5  rDev -31.2%

A- A dark amber color with a manilla colored head of foam. Great head retention and lots of lacing.

S- Earthy caramel malt with lots of pine. There's also a nice sweet grapefruit aroma that is very pleasant.

T- After a great start with appearance and taste, it goes downhill fast. It tastes of bitter pine, with some bitter malt at the end. Mostly pine though, nothing else. It's like Victory thought they could just put hops in and it would end up good. This taste isn't pleasant.

M- Moderate body with high amounts of carbonation. The bitterness from the taste dries your mouth and makes this hard to go down.

O- I really dislike it when breweries put hops upon hops in their beers. Hops does not make your beer good. There's so much more to a beer and it annoys me when the only attribute I can really describe is the hop, and the hops used in this beer are very simple and have no complexity to them at all.

02-09-2013 04:38:43 | More by Efay