1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Yakima Glory - Victory Brewing Company

Yakima GloryYakima Glory

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Black Ale |  8.70% ABV

According to the brewery's website: "A dark IPA".

Available November to January.

(Beer added by: sholland119 on 12-06-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Yakima Glory Alström Bros

Maseitz, Apr 24, 2013

Arrowhuntr, Apr 27, 2014

andrewborstein, Mar 18, 2012

On tap at Mccooles.

A- Deep copper color with red hues. This looks a bit like a lager. Off white, slight brown head.

S- I'm left searching a bit here. Hints of hops, and strong carmel roast malt. More of a malt profile in the nose. But the hops are somewhat weak.

T- Starts as a chocolate roasty malt sweetness. Flavor then transitions into a fruity hop profile. Mostly citrus and orange. Then it rounds out with a milky creamy taste.

M- Medium to full bodied brew with medium carbonation. Mouth is up and down. Starts out smooth and rich, then a tingly bitterness, and then smooths out again. Pretty interesting.

O- Definitely an interesting brew. I like the combo here in the taste, but the nose was a bit of a let down.

haazer, Mar 05, 2012

mkennedy119, Oct 15, 2013

claytong, Jun 28, 2012

LuisCaraballo, Jun 08, 2013
3.25/5  rDev -18.1%

On tap at the Drafting Room Exton, this is another in a line of first time beers brewed in the new, larger facility. I don't think I had a dark DIPA before.

A-A very dark amber brown, with a very thin white head an a little bit of lacing.

S-Roasted and caramel malts with some floral and citrus hops. A bit light on the hops for the style.

T-Kind of a disappointment. The malt sweetness and the floral hop flavors never really blend together. I can taste them separately but very distinctly.

M-Nice, a bit heavy on the medium side.

D-Yeah, not bad, but not my favorite thing.

I love the new styles and challenges the new Victory capacity allows. I did not care a lot for this one, though. Maybe my expectations were too high.

HV

sholland119, Dec 06, 2008

AnthonyVincent, Mar 06, 2013

jaybags, Jun 11, 2012

NeoZaZ, Jan 15, 2013

gleeky99, Mar 31, 2012

meltroha, Aug 08, 2013
3.25/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

My GF is from Yakima so I bought a 6 pack when I saw it without thinking much.

Pours dark brown with an off white head.

Smells like hops with some residual citrus.

Tastes- Super hoppy and piney. I bought this beer unaware that Yakima was known for it's hops so I was surprised. There is a little bit of sweetness, just enough to take it out of the IPA territory but a fairly bitter beer.

MF-Slight carbonation.

Overall- It was okay. I didn't enjoy it much but thats my dumbass fault for buying a beer that pays tribute to a place that produces a lot of hops when I don't like ym beers to be supper hoppy.

Brew_42, Aug 11, 2013

emakings, Feb 10, 2014

muddah37, Apr 27, 2012

pajeff, Feb 20, 2013

dbnrhino, Feb 21, 2014
3.25/5  rDev -18.1%

Pours a deep ruby reddish orange, with some brown tones and a healthy tan white head that has large bubbling and good retention. Pretty frothy in the middle, and coarse at the sides. Lacing is spotty.

Nose is perfectly described as jackfruit - for those that don't know, it's a combo of pineapple, overripe fruit, and caramel. Smells pungently sweet and sticky. It's a one dimensional nose, but it does its dimension incredibly well. Get a couple leafy hops in the back after a bit, but it is mostly sweet fruit and sticky sugars.

Taste is much different at first, as the initial taste is of bitter leafy hops, with a dash of sour pineapple. The beer then moves to a very roasty, almost charred malty middle. Don't get nearly as much caramel in the middle of this, and the malt is good, but a bit unpleasant at times. Finally, the beer ends up in a dry, slightly bitter hoppy finish, with the 8.7% abv showing itself a bit. I usually like bitter finishes, but in this one it lacks any pleasing characteristics - it's almost bitter for no reason. Could have used some sticky character or some sort of hop flavoring, but it lacks either.

Mouthfeel is great, as the beer is very full and creamy at times. Drinkability suffers a bit due to the finish, and also due to the 8.7% abv being pretty visible, and not in a good way. I like this beer, but it was a bit disappointing to me.

madvermin, Mar 08, 2011
3.28/5  rDev -17.4%

Great looking beer with nice head retention and a wonderful smokey dark amber color.
Smells of hops with a little bit of roastyness and maybe a slight malty astringency in the background.
After the first couple of sips it is clear that there is a lot going on in this beer. Caramel malt and American hop flavors hit the tongue first, followed shortly by roasty flavors and what I perceive to be a noticeable astringency that quickly dries the tongue. While I enjoy the initial flavor, as the malt tones fade I am left with only the bitterness and darker malt flavors which remain in a somewhat unpleasant aftertaste. I do, however, enjoy the nice dry finish.
Body is medium with what I perceive to be a near perfect amount of carbonation.
A very intriguing beer, but not a one I find particularly drinkable. I have tried it with food and found it even less appealing. For some reason I think it might go well with good old roasted peanuts.
I am not really sure if I will end up being a fan of the black IPA, but as with most other Victory beers it is well brewed and will likely appeal to those with different preferences.

zoso1967, Jan 07, 2010
3.28/5  rDev -17.4%

I saw this on the shelf at Total Wine in Sarasota and had to try one of the few major releases from Victory that I hadn't yet.

A: Poured into a standard pint glass, small tight head that doesn't stick around. Really cool ruby/brownish color with great highlights.

S: Smell is pretty hop forward with some dry fruit maybe. A little sweetness in there too. I'm getting over a cold, so I may have to revisit that when I'm feeling 100%.

T: Sweet up front with a lot of malty, carmel notes and a pretty big hop-bitterness. However, the bitterness lingers a bit too long and too bitter for my liking. the longer I work on each sip, the less I want to take another due to the bitterness at the back of my mouth. If not for this, it would have scored much higher.

M: Mouthfeel is crisp and refreshing. Judging on this alone, I'm surprised at the high alcohol content.

D: Besides the longstanding bitterness I was getting on the finish, I'd love this beer. However, the unpleasant aftertaste is probably going to make this a one-and-done selection for me. Victory is a killer brewery and everything they make is worth drinking. This one may just be a matter of my own personal preference, but I'll stick to Hopdevil if I'm looking for bitterness.

ItsTheLimit, Mar 02, 2011
3.28/5  rDev -17.4%

A: Pours a dark mahogany color with some reddish hues around the edges. Provides a nice one finger tan foam head, with moderate lacing.

S: Smells of quite prevalent but seem to be fighting each other for dominance. Dark roasted coffee and chocolate or citrus hops.

T: Starts off different then the smell. The hop bitterness is most noticeable up front. The middle is where the big flavors of rich roasted malt and sweet caramel come in. Seems like a constant battle for supremacy.

M: Seems a little bitter with some mild alcohol on the palate, then it seems creamy at times.

D: This is a very complex beer, with both the hops and malt flavors battling each other. I will give this another shot or two in the future.

IronCitySteve, Feb 25, 2011
3.28/5  rDev -17.4%

A - Deep brown with cherry cola highlights.

S - Semi-bright citrus, orange peel. Backdrop of pine.

T - Bitter pine hops up front. Backbone of black roasted malt: char, burnt bread, smoke. The citrus hops struggle to say hello, but you can hear them in the background.

M - Light-medium body appropriate for the style, but a little light for the flavor profile in my personal taste.

D - Fairly drinkable, but the light body and sharp roast hurt the overall drinkability.

vfgccp, Jan 17, 2011
3.28/5  rDev -17.4%

A: Very dark amber/brown, with a moderate-sized and quickly fading tan head.

S: Really interesting mix of dark, roasty, chocolatey malts with equally strong citrus and pine hops. The malts have a slight dominance, giving the aroma an overall roasty, smoky, bittersweet character.

T/M: Toasted malts up front, sweet and dark, gradually giving way to bitter hops on the back end. Chocolate and coffee linger at the end. The dark roasted flavors clash with the equally strong hops, leaving a slightly off aftertaste that detracts from the beer.

O: Not the greatest "black IPA." The distinct flavors don't mesh as well as they do in the very best examples of the style. The result is a little harsher than it should be.

sevenarts, Dec 16, 2012
3.3/5  rDev -16.9%

A large pour at TMac, brownish red with a light tan head some lacing don the sides as I drank.

Smell was really understated, couldn't detect much. The pine hop taste hits you hard and then the malt sweetness kicks in.

It hits the tongue light with the harsh bitterness of the hops and then feels heaveier by the aftertaste. Drinkability is OK, but more than one would be a bit too much IMHO.

ImusBeer, Dec 30, 2009