Yakima Glory - Victory Brewing Company

Yakima GloryYakima Glory

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Black Ale |  8.70% ABV

According to the brewery's website: "A dark IPA".

Available November to January.

(Beer added by: sholland119 on 12-06-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Yakima Glory Alström Bros

pperez38, Jan 31, 2012

fivestrokeroll, Jan 31, 2012

rmaste6282, Jan 30, 2012

ygtbsm94, Jan 30, 2012
3.6/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle with an Enjoy By Date of Nov 02 2012. Pours a dark brown color with light brown hues and a thin layer of head. Some lacing. Aroma is piney and chocolatey with some citrus notes. Sweet. Taste is pine and floral hops upfront with hints of chocolate and a floral finish. Not really getting any citrus like I did in the nose. Flavor is mostly floral hop bitterness with pine. Overall, decent and worth having once in awhile.

PicoPapa, Jan 30, 2012

jfcaa193, Jan 30, 2012
1.5/5  rDev -62.1%

Lucasrj, Jan 30, 2012

Pitmonkey, Jan 29, 2012

dmcassel, Jan 29, 2012
3.35/5  rDev -15.4%

Pours a deep caramel brown with a huge amount of light brown head that has outstanding retention. The nose has a strong chocolate malt presence with a light hop aroma. The flavor is bitter throughout with immediate astringency up front followed by a slight bittersweet chocolate finish. The hop character is earthy, piny, and slightly spicy. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation.

I'm a little unsure where I stand on this beer. It comes across incredibly bitter and intensely hopped. It's a little much even for a hop head like me. The malt character is a little one dimensional and doesn't really, in my opinion, hold up to the intense hop character. I probably wouldn't have another one.

tdm168, Jan 28, 2012

beef13, Jan 27, 2012
4.03/5  rDev +1.8%

Definitely a "dark ale" vs. "black". Ruby red/chestnut brown colors. The head forms beautifully, 1.25 fingers of light brown and quickly reduces to a slight ring. Nice lacing and plenty of carb visible as it keeps the ring intact. Quite a nice looking view from the side/top angle in my Stone RIS snifter.

Off the bat lots of hop aromas, but as I get into the glass less, but still materially there. Carmel malts and a bit of bread smell, but still hops. No lack of hops for me here. I'm sure freshness or a lack thereof would play a large part in variances between reviews on the hop profile.

Citrusy and resiny. Awesome! There's a bitter punch and as an herbal flavor that I love, but can't describe all that well.

Solid mouthfeel--certainly not thin, but doesn't linger with viscosity. However, the bitter/herbal/citric goodness does linger and for that I'm grateful.

I love this stuff, drink time I see it on tap and keep a six pack around as long as it lasts.

jraras, Jan 27, 2012

gkob, Jan 27, 2012
4.43/5  rDev +11.9%

Pint glass, Lots of malt on this nose, sweet smelling, a little licorice & dark fruit, hint of coacoa with some herbal and citrus hops. Nice appearance as well, ruby red bordering black. Burnt flavor, toffee, ashy, a little coffee, lots of hop bitterness adding just enough balance. Definitely would drink again

J23hc, Jan 25, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -11.6%

Nothing much on the nose, unfortunately. I was really looking forward to a big hop burst, but I got almost nothing of the sort. There is a little floral note on top of some rich caramel maltiness.

The beer looks beautiful. I knew it was hoppy but didn't know it was an American Black Ale. It pours like a porter with a nice slightly off-white head. Lacing is generous but the head drops into the beer quickly.

The taste is where the hops are in Yakima Glory. I get a nice burst of light citrus in the front, but it finishes with heavy floral notes. There is a little bit of roast, which I don't care for in my ABA's, but it's not distracting enough to take away from the beer at all. Nice job on the flavor creations here.

It's somewhat heavy on the body, but not quite in the heavy category. Carbonation is quite high, between your standard APA and Belgian beer I would say. Finishes dry, just how I like them.

Overall this is a fine beer, I would probably buy this again over most other ABA beers out there. I enjoyed it.

tlazaroff, Jan 24, 2012

jriggins6, Jan 23, 2012

MrSunshine, Jan 23, 2012

Brown120, Jan 22, 2012

mquinn919, Jan 22, 2012

dprophet, Jan 22, 2012

morebeergood, Jan 21, 2012
3.88/5  rDev -2%

this aint a black ale, but thats okay! pours a deep deep ruby red meets chocolate brown color. huge rising white head, lacey. hectic yeast floating around. smells very very hoppy, but rounder than an ipa, big sweet dark malt aroma too. taste like a big ipa, many different hop characteristics here, piney and floral, but really sturdy. malt sweetness comes in later adding nice depth. mouthfeel is on the heavy side, and the alchohol is present on the tongue. not as carbonated as maybe it could be, and a little heavy in the tummy. not a session brew, but a good starter for the evening.

StonedTrippin, Jan 21, 2012
3.63/5  rDev -8.3%

A: not as dark as I expect, more brownish. Pour into a pint glass, not much head.

S: smell the hops, but not overly strong.

T: hoppy up front, but it doesn't linger for long. not quite as roasty as I'd like in a black ipa

M: just average mouthfeel. medium carbonation

O: This is a good brew, just not quite what I was hoping for in a "black" ipa. It's very easy to drink though and I'll have to try it on draft at some point.

psuwiz99, Jan 20, 2012
4.13/5  rDev +4.3%

I felt like using my Christmas gift so I poured this into my Bell’s wheat beer glass. What’s the technical term for it? Ah, I don’t know. After reviewing on a regular basis I pretty much stopped mentioning the type of glassware I was using. But I’m doing so this time since it’s a cool effect.
Sometimes improper glassware leads to fun results. And this beer looks good in a wheat glass. So sue me.

It pours a malty burnt caramel color. Rich, dark malt. Took my time pouring and topped it off with several fingers of thick, toast-colored billowy foam that dissipated into a heavy layer of cream. Looking good, Yakima Glory, looking good!

I wasn't sure of the classification (at the time I had it) but I didn't think it was a Cascadian pale ale. Not dark enough. Hoppier than an amber, and stronger too. Aromas aren’t giving it away so let’s move on to tasting it.

There’s definitely a subdued hoppiness on the palate. Bitter, sharp, a little herbal. There’s a light maltiness to balance it out without being too sweet and I taste the alcohol, more than I’d expect to for a 8.7% brew. I’m liking but not loving this one. Layer in some more roast, perhaps, to match the hops, or dial back the booze and I’d really dig this one.

elNopalero, Jan 20, 2012
3.78/5  rDev -4.5%

A: a dark amber almost red
S: smells like pinetrees
T: piney hop bitterness with a hint ofsweet malts at the fiish
M: light carbonation and very refreshing
O: a good one here folks. it reminds me of winter storm from heavy seas with a nice little sweet malty goodness at the end. price-per-sixpack is a little steep but this is something i will buy again

RappAttack, Jan 20, 2012