Helios (V Saison) - Victory Brewing Company

Helios  (V Saison)Helios  (V Saison)

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 02-06-2009

Repackaging of V Saison
Reviews: 441 | Hads: 1,049
4.43/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Very different than any other beer I've ever had. The smell, is great!! The taste, is done what like a Hefeweizen without the wheat taste, however, slightly too much citrus for my taste. Still, excellent beer.

4.42/5  rDev +14.5%

Poured from the bottle into a tulip glass. Enjoy by August 5 2012, so off we go!

A nice off white and foamy head, lots of large bubbles in this, kind of styrofoam looking, sits on a nice golden dark lemon body. Slightly opaque, easy to see rising carbonation. Nice looking beer here, as you drink and the head clumps all around.

Great nose on this. Slight salt, wild yeast sense and floral. Hints of mushy sour peaches, slight funk, very creamy, banana mush. Real unique nose.

Taste brings a nice saison palate. Yeasty bread, following a sharp spice of clove. Nice malt body on this, a little hint of tight fizz but not much which I like, not very gassy. Finish is even sweet fruits of apricot, orange, mixing in with a good funkyness.

This is a great enjoyable saison. Mix of interesting characters of density, brightness, fruit, funk, hint of sweet, just great.

4.42/5  rDev +14.5%

For some reason Victory bombers are not available in the Denver area (to my knowledge at least), even though the 750s and 6 packs are. Knowing this, I grabbed a bomber of this one in San Diego, but waited until we had left town to drink it. Huge mistake, as I loved it, and cannot get anymore.

Poured a nice golden color witha hugh fluffy white head. Great funky aromas, brett, barnyard, rose petal and hibiscus. Light to medium bodied, dangerously drinkable, tart and funky with a nice bitter finish.

4.42/5  rDev +14.5%

I picked this one up from Total Wine a couple of days ago. I had heard good things about it, so I decided to give it a try.

A: Clear and yellow. This is kind of unique for saisons, as the bready character usually makes beers of this style hard to see through. I assume that they put an ample amount of yeast in it, though, since Belgian saisons are know to have high yeast contents. It produced a nice head when I poured it into a glass, though a little smaller than most other saisons I've had.

S: Very nice. It smells very citrusy and grassy. I also detect some hop bitterness.

T: Excellent. Lemon, grass, white pepper, clove, hops and yeast dominate the flavor. I've tried the beer both cold and warm and, unlike most other saisons, I prefer this one cold. It's quite refreshing, though it is more bitter than traditional saisons.

M: It goes down well. There isn't much carbonation relative to other saisons (see Ommegang's Hennepin), so it feels very smooth.

O: This is a good beer. While it differs with regards to other saisons, it's still nice. I would put this in the BPA category.

4.42/5  rDev +14.5%

Medium-light gold with a medium-large, white, pillowy, slowly-diminishing head. The smell is wonderfully funky from the wild Belgian yeast. It's dusty with sweet malts and pungent dusty fruit aromas. Peach and lemon among others. The taste follows but with more of that barnyard funk that is an aquired taste. I've acuired it and think it's wonderful! It has a light, lingering medicinal band-aid-like funk mixed with a touch of bubblegum. Odd, yes. But it keeps me coming back for more. It has a medium-light body, soft texture and moderate-lively carbonation. This was a great find, and with its reasonable cost, this is one I definitely recommend trying.

4.39/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours hazy golden lemon orange with a thick white head, smells of yeast orange peel with slight spice slight tart raspberry, tastes of bitter yeast with lemongrass orange peel peppery with cider like tartness. Mouthfeel is full and bright with high carbonation and smooth finish.

4.38/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: clear gold color with a 2" head that lasts a while. Nice lacing paints the glass through the session.

Smell: earthy and spice tones rise easily from the glass and are very pleasant.

Taste: mildly grainy malt profile with pepper, grass, slightly tart green grapes, lemon zest, and some moderate earthiness. Bitterness is quite noticeable.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied beer. Crisp throughout with some light dryness late.

Drinkability: this beer was so flavorful on tap I could have had several glasses in the session. Easy to drink and great saison IMHO.

4.37/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Huge, nearly pure white head. Goes down slowly leaves little lace. Straw color liquid; nearly clear.

Lots of golden malt aroma; slightly citrusy but not from the hop which is quite mild. Some spruce smell also.

If I were blindfolded, I would expect a darker looking beer. This looks like a macro (albeit with a huge head), but tastes like a over-hopped APA. Grapefruit and pine bitter flavors from the hop. Solid malt delivery. Long, tongue-cleansing aftertaste. Only the body comes across as typical to me.

I notice when I'm inspired to write a lot, it's always a good beer. This is better than most and may be my new favorite Saison.

4.37/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Sunset Beer Company in Los Angeles, CA.

Pours a murky honey orange with a foamy off-white head that settles to a partial film on top of the beer. Thin rings of lace line the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, grain, yeast, spices, and Brett. Taste is much the same with a crisp Brett flavor on the finish. There is a mild amount of spice bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp and dry mouthfeel. Overall, this is a very good beer with great aromas and flavors that make it super easy to drink.

4.35/5  rDev +12.7%

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into Chalice.

Appearance: Barely hazy golden straw color with billowing white head that only leaves slight lacing behind.

Smell: Banana, peach, clove, pepper and a strong horse blanket mustiness.

Taste: Strong sweet malt backbone of fleshy fruit and lemony citrus, with a drying counterbalance of clove and black pepper. There is also an underlying mustiness that carries throughout, and becomes more apparent as it warms.

Feel: High carbonation, medium body, very dry finish.

Drinkability: Seems to be some Brett in this Saison. Whether that is true or not, it certainly adds some Orval-like complexity and makes the beer exceedingly refreshing.

Also, while I do not allow price to impact my reviews, the $3.99 a bomber price tag on this makes it a steal.

4.35/5  rDev +12.7%

Pours a golden yellow with a huge fluffy white head and decent lacing. Aroma and taste carry light fruits and mild citrus - mainly banana and lemon, with some zesty spices and yeast. Clean taste with minimal aftertaste. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with generous carbonation - very bubbly mouthfeel. All in all, a very crisp, dry and refreshing beer. Alcohol isn't noticeable. Very drinkable.

Now I'm a huge novice so maybe my palate is just feeble and untrained, but I actually had this pegged as a pilsener - I was surprised to come here and see it was a saison. If you like pils, I think you'd enjoy this as well. Oh, and at $2.99 for a bomber...you can't beat the price.

4.35/5  rDev +12.7%

Appearance, pours a slightly cloudy sunset orange, with a large bone white frothy head, slightly over carbonated it appears.

Aroma, this is a fantastic version of a farmhouse ale, you get alot of barnyardy spicy notes, I get a slight honey peppery aroma backed by the classic horse blanket of brettonomyces. I really like the aroma on this saison.

Taste, solid, crisp and dry on the finish very key to a good saison, Its mildly sweet up front with citrus and cracker flavors dominating, very slight spicy hop flavor is the only lingering flavor.

Mouthfeel, dry and quafable

Drinkablity, I cracked a 22oz and could have another, great for a saison, I think the only thing I would like to have is a little less alcohol so i could drink more of it! Very good beer

4.35/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Very impressed with this year's Helios. I had this back in 2013 and it was just straight saison but now Brettanomyces is making a big statement in this year! It packs a wallop at 7.5%......

Look: Copper sunrise and crystal clear
Smell: Slight tart, noble hops, funk, and slight citrus
Taste: Noble hops, barnyard, funk, and slightly tart
Feel: Dry and palate filling, really nice mouthfeel. Moderate carbonation with champagne-like bubbles.

My take away, which is quite surprising, is that this beer sums up my experience of the 2010 infected Matilda I had which had more of a reddish hue to it with a greater head retention. As it warms from the 30'sF it gets much funkier. I am very impressed and would certainly buy several more bombers of this for the price point of $4.99. It's a steal folks and very well executed.

4.35/5  rDev +12.7%

Poured from the bottle into oversized wine glasses. Beautiful white fizzy head. Golden yellow color. Plenty of carbonation. Great looking presentation. Smell was very ripe and tangy. Taste reminded me very much of a lambic beer. Light and tart on the tip of the tongue. Big dose of Brett fills the mouth. Hoppy and peppery taste. Excellent. Gets even better as it warms up. Not as easy to drink as other saisons due to its high ABV and its Belgian wild ale-like tartness, but I loved it regardless. I have no idea why this is under $4 a bomber. Extremely under priced for a well built beer.

4.33/5  rDev +12.2%

An unusual saison from the start. The beer is cloudy in the glass and a good deal more orange than any other I've tried. It was easy to generate a puffy head, and the aroma that wafted out was filled with fruit-- oranges, lemons, grapefruit, apples and loads of pears. Missing was the bready, yeasty smell of other saisons. I missed it, too. Marvelous taste, as the aroma predicted. Again, loads of fruit with a heavy tip towards pears and apples. Quite a hit of pepper and grapefruit from the hops, but not sour at all. In fact, it was refreshing on a humid summer night. My wife and I could easily have split another bomber.

Relative to Saison Dupont, Hennepin, etc., this doesn't really compare in the same style, I don't think. It's a bit too fruity for that. However, don't let that stop you from stashing a few away before Victory runs out for the season. A good value for the $$, too.

4.33/5  rDev +12.2%

Nice pour, lots of foam, golden yellow color, head filled up more than half the glass on the 1st pour, looked very fresh out of the bottle.

Taste is good, strikes me as a great summer drinking beer, ABV is a little high, but that is ok by me. Tastes more crisp and clean than some of the Belgian Saisons, meaning the yeast is more generic, and it tastes more like an American beer, not the nice funk you get from some of the Belgians, you can tell they are brewed in a more old school/authentic manner, but I don't think that is necessarily bad, just different. Taste is very good, hoppy, mellow, crisp taste, very smooth, has the nice creamy/vanilla taste to is as well, checks all the boxes for the style.

Very drinkable beer.

Overall a good beer and a good Saison, falls short of some of the better ones I have had but still solid, and with the reasonable price, I would go back for more.

Ranks as an A but I think it is more of a B+.

4.33/5  rDev +12.2%

I guess this is a re-creation of the V Saison. It's the same beer, just repackaged and cheaper - WAY cheaper. At under $4, this one is a steal!

A: A bit darker than straw color, slight cloudiness, with a mild head, and tons of carbonation. Nice!

S: Lemon and Orange upfront. No alcohol yet, just pure fruitiness.

T: Very strong yeast in the flavor. I would almost describe this as carbonated orange juice, baking soda, with a twist of lemon. I can definitely taste Victory's refreshing hop profile throughout.

M: I love the fluffiness of the bubbles. The yeast hits the mouth hard, but doesn't coat - it merely acts as a buffer to the sweetness.

D: I am able to take pretty substantial size gulps without wincing. Highly drinkable!

22 oz bottle poured into a snifter glass
cost $3.69

A: Poured aggressively into a snifter glass. Hazy golden copper color with a 3 finger white head. Bubbles on side of glass and floating up in the middle.

S: slight fruit smell of apple, pear, lemon. Belgian yeast. Bubblegum, hops

T: Taste is similar to smell but with an added peppery finish

M: A lot of carbonation which i tend to like. medium to light mouth feel. little drying.

D: I Could easily drink 2 bombers of this in a night without a problem, especially at such a great price.

4.32/5  rDev +11.9%

Pours a golden yellow in the glass with good carbonation. Carbonation is finer small bubbles and a layer remains on top of the beer through consumption. Good lacing. Nose is floral - like a fresh field of flowers. Taste is also fresh and refreshing - has body yet still light. Again very floral but also spices like Rosemarie and thyme. Floral flavor lingers well after the finish.

4.3/5  rDev +11.4%

Best before Sept 29, 2012.

22 oz bottle served cold into a pint glass.

Helios opens with a loud hiss and pours with a massive amount of head. More than half the glass is foam and it settles very slowly with chunky lace left behind. The beer is a very clear staw yellow color.

Aroma is intense with spicy Belgian yeast. Lots of citrus too.

Flavor is also bold and big with lemon, pepper, funky yeast, and tart citrus candy. It's almost like an imperial pilsner with saison yeast. Really unusual but in a good way.

Mouthfeel is medium-light in body and nicely carbonated. Well balanced but full of flavor.

Overall a really pleasant surprise. This beer really impresses right now. Definately worth a try and probably more than once.

4.3/5  rDev +11.4%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a Sam Adams perfect pint.

Popped the cap on this one and went to rinse out my glass, and the bottle was noticeably foaming over when I went for the pour. It pours a very hazy straw color with a huge head that quickly settles down to something more manageable. Aroma is good, a bit of ripe fruit, funkiness, and yeastiness. The taste is very good as far as my tastes on saisons go, the fruitiness, funkiness, and just a hint of hops keep the yeast in check. It's just a deliicous sour. The mouthfeel is crisp and highly carbonated, and the drinkability is very good for the ABV. Overall, this is a great saison! Saisons are really hit or miss with me, but this one's a hit for sure.

4.3/5  rDev +11.4%

It has a huge head that clings to the sides of the glass. The color is a cloudy golden. The aroma is of grapefruit, hay, and bread. The flavors really meld and taste "farmy". They don't call this a farmhouse-style Belgian for nothing. Lots of earthy flavors with hay, grass, pine, and autumn spices. Black pepper kicks in mid tongue. Under it and through the finish is grapefruit. It's really a unique combination. I don't think I've had a brew that tasted like this. It could be off putting or delicious depending on your tastes. I like it but I would definitely limit it to an occasional purchase.

4.3/5  rDev +11.4%

pours a golden copper color. crazy amount of light fluffy head that receded very quickly. lots and lots of carbonation, but nothing to disticnt as far as the flavor is concerned. very thick lacing covers the glass. overall a very enjoyable beer, especially if like me it was a sunny 70 degree day outside relaxing in my backyard when i first enjoyed this tasty treat. WELL worth the 4 bucks i spent on it.

4.3/5  rDev +11.4%

This beer MUST be a Duvel clone. It has the look, aroma, taste, texture, drinkability and alcohol percentage (close anyways) of Duvel.

Poured into a Piraat tulip this beer has a huge head and just doesn't quit. The color is pale golden color and there's plenty of carbonation to spare.

The aroma is of cotton candy, fresh malt, grain, and floral hops. There's also a real earthiness to this beer. BA says saison, Victory says saison, my taste buds and nose both say belgian strong pale ale.

The first sip is deliteful. Fairly attenuated yet full and grainy with plenty of barley, hops, and alcohol to go around. This beer is beautiful. There's a spice in the finish that's hard to place; perhaps it is fennel or clove. This flavor must make it a saison.

Mouthfeel is light on the tongue yet not watery. There's a grainy texture that's really good with this type of beer.

Drinkability is great! I would love sip this all day. I will definately pick up a few of these if I see it out there. Thanks to whoever sent this as an extra in whatever trade we did!

4.28/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

pretty complex brew. there is a sourness to it for sure. not getting a huge amount of funk. lot of lemon, sour grape, hint of vinegar, spice, a buttery quality, smooth, citrusy. a complex, high abv, still somewhat light for summer, still full bodied and full flavored. very drinkable awesome

Helios (V Saison) from Victory Brewing Company