Helios (V Saison) - Victory Brewing Company

Helios  (V Saison)Helios  (V Saison)

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.50% ABV

Repackaging of V Saison

(Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 02-06-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters

01-21-2012 05:57:43 | More by cantfindme
TheHopHeadGirl

District of Columbia

1.85/5  rDev -51.7%

This beer smells like an outhouse or baby diaper. Even took a survey to those around me and they agreed! It tastes beeter than what it smells like. When not smelling it it tastes more like a sour beer. Not a fan. Had it @ churchky in dc for $2.5 a 4oz. I wouldnt drink it for free.

05-16-2012 03:30:12 | More by TheHopHeadGirl
RnRManifesto

12-16-2011 02:30:58 | More by RnRManifesto
Mark5252

08-13-2012 11:36:26 | More by Mark5252
Flashy

Vermont

2.15/5  rDev -43.9%

Purchased in a bottle from Wegmans, not refridgerated.
I hope this was a bad bottle as it tasted skunked. Besides good carbonation and mouthfeel this tasted bad, bad, bad (as in spoiled). Found the expiration date on the bottle and it's 2/12 so I must assume that either I hate this kind of Ale, the bottle has been seriously mis-handled or this type of beverage has been fooling people for years and is another case of the emperor not wearing clothes.

06-28-2011 19:08:14 | More by Flashy
yesyouam

2.15/5  rDev -43.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Victory Helios is a very sparkling, pretty clear, pale golden ale with lots of particles. It has a huge, fluffy, white head that has outstanding retention. There are lots of bananas in the aroma, with notes of lemon and phenol. It smells fruity and funky. It has a lively, medium body that starts a little heavy on the tongue and becomes very light at the squeaky dry finish. It has a very phenolic flavor overall. There is a little herbal bitterness and something earthy in there, but it's hard to notice-- Everything is overpowered by the taste of Band-Aids. A long Band-Aid finish lingers. Yech. Band-Aid juice.

06-01-2010 00:34:50 | More by yesyouam
azorie

2.17/5  rDev -43.3%

Well if this is in the style of a saison I sure am fooled, more of a lemon pepper pale ale if you ask me.

A: poured into a mug at about 45F, nice off white head forms up, did not last long, color is pale off yellow, some cloudiness. claimed to be bottle conditioned. poured it hard in the glass both times to finish never really saw any yeast and I love yeast I always pour it into the mix, and NOT leave in the bottle, seems only Americans do that.

s: mostly hops and soap, no yeast no brett, no lemon, no pepper,no spices just off. and hops it seems victory is as bad as most west coast brewers if hops are good more must be better not really. One thinks if your going to brew in the style of a Belgian beer go to Belgium learn how to make one.

T: ok I try to keep an open mind and I usually try not to rate beers that don't do it for me, but since Victory is here in Florida I am going to give it my honest review. it tastes like ivory soap with hops in it. Ok its not really soapy, trying to figure out actually what I do taste. First there is a mineral water taste, plaster, sulfates. As it warms it gets worse: its a cooper bitterness, with a cabbage like taste, yuck its really a drain pour for me I will drink the last drop. its not dry or sweet, but its unbalanced hop wise, all I can say is so far every non stout from victory I had tastes at first like a pale ale and not in a good way.

m: thick and not much carbonation. its flat

d: well it came in a bomber, sadly is all I can say, would I drink it again NO FRIGGING way.

glad it was only $3.99 a bomber to try it. Never again.

05-08-2010 19:28:52 | More by azorie
r3dsix

2.2/5  rDev -42.6%

Poured a thick head and had a cloudy gold color with a slight red hue to it. The head mostly dissipatedin about a minute with some retention on the glass.

Smell is a strong citrus like acidic odor which seems to be overwhelmed by a metallic odor.

I was really excited to try this beer. A guy at a liqure store who has a similar taste in beer to me really liked the beer.so I gave it a shot and bought a racer 5 ipa just in case.

The initail drink was good I tasted a slightly sweet citrus fruity flavor and it just started to bitter when I opened my mouth and all of a sudden the flavor turned into a completely ubiquitous metallic flavor. After tasting that the rest of the beer was basically ruined for me. Very similar to the taste of blood like if you bite you cheek hard enough on accident and then you start to taste that metallic taste and you know you're bleeding. I was surprised by this after the recommendation I got from a good source and even more surprised once I read a lot of the reviews here.
I'd like to think this was a good beer, I'd like to think it was just me. Maybe it was old, maybe I'm sensitive to something in this beer like how some people are sensitive to celantro. Still I can't reccomend this beer to anyone personally. I'm never gonna re buy it and the best thing I have to say about it is that other people liked it and it has a good appearence.

Mouthfeel was so so. Not really watery and the flavor washes away fairly quickly. Which would be a weakpoint if I liked the beer.

Now to my racer 5 to the rescue!

08-04-2011 06:27:42 | More by r3dsix

05-11-2013 00:51:46 | More by tommyguz
myrtlebeachbums

South Carolina

2.4/5  rDev -37.3%

I grabbed this on a whim at a local store. While I tend to like the Belgian abbey ales, I should probably know better than try the Belgian farmhouse styles. I always try them, and never really care for them.

Smell is was okay, as was mouth feel. Taste, on the other hand, left me less than happy. Honestly, I can' describe it as anything more than a "horse-like" flavor in the finish. It's okay up to that point, but there's something about it I just did not enjoy.

If I was at the brewery I might try it on tap to see if somehow it was mishandled between Philly and Myrtle Beach to cause the experience I had, but I probably won't try it in a bottle again.

05-20-2010 01:11:06 | More by myrtlebeachbums
BeerDawgs

Georgia

2.42/5  rDev -36.8%

A - A cloudy orange hue. Unfiltered. Decent head and lace retention.

S - Lemon and flower aromas. It also has some farmhouse funk aromas.

T - Sour malts and citrus. I am not a big fan of this beer.

M - High carbonation. Crisp.

D - I will not have another. This beer doesn't do anything for me.

01-02-2011 01:42:25 | More by BeerDawgs

02-08-2013 04:03:34 | More by jacothom
PSUDREW

2.53/5  rDev -33.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I can only hope I got a skunked bottle. This was...not impressive at best. Pours a nice light golden color, and has a vaguely plasticy smell. taste is vaugley matly, but rather astringent. Not hops, no farmhouse quality I had high hope, but this is...poor at best

01-25-2010 05:38:10 | More by PSUDREW
AgentZero

2.58/5  rDev -32.6%

A - Slightly cloudy orangish golden color with a two finger head that bubbled up and dissipated rather quickly with no lacing. No stick on the side throughout the drink.

S - Smoething smells off on this. Slightly yeasty funk with a bit of a syrupy sweet smell and a grassy aroma. Also, there's some sort of rotten piss smell that's coming through on this.

T - A bit skunky, some grassy hops, a bit sweet and syrupy. It's not bad, but not great, not tons going on here, but I'm not a huge fan of the saisons either, so that might have something to do with it.

M - Syrupy, but pretty light, nicely carbonated, but doesn't seem to match the weight of the beer.

D - Just doesn't taste as good as it needs to to be drinkable.

05-09-2010 02:20:06 | More by AgentZero
IronCitySteve

2.63/5  rDev -31.3%

A: Pours a slightly hazy bright golden color with a thick slightly off-white foam head. There is nice lacing down the side.

S: A nice amount of yeast, wet hay, pepper, pineapples, lemons and orange peel Kind of an odd but inviting mix.

T: Starts off with a kick of citrus and lemons, which is quite nice, but in the middle, it becomes a lemony, yeast soap mixture. It finishes with some more citrus soap flavors and some more yeast.

M: Seemed really thin and with a tad too much carbonation.

O: After the look and smell of this beer, I was quite excited. It was disappointing. I enjoy Saison's a lot but this one did not cut it for me.

07-16-2011 21:33:17 | More by IronCitySteve
Ryan011235

2.65/5  rDev -30.8%

Poured into an E&J Cask & Cream glass on 4/28/11

Enjoy by December 21, 2011

Hazy, sun-baked goldenrod color. Cloudy at the center. Two finger head rose quickly and fell just the same leaving a thin later of retention. Minimal lace.

The aroma calls to mind pleasant afternoons in the cool of spring meadows, much unlike the weather in Columbus right now. Lemon zest, lemongrass, prairie grass and crisp, fresh apple. Distinct clove note without being overly spicy. Floral and pollen-like.

Whereas the aroma is devoid of any booziness, alcohol hits the palate hard. It's slick and hot for 7.5% abv, unfortunately overshadowing much of the flavor complexities that could be had. Lemon rind, clove, herbs and spices, grass and light fruit notions seem awash in an uncomfortable alcohol solution. Warmth finds the flavors more at ease but they never fully shine against the booze. The finish is abrupt as it it dry, leaving gritty residual bitterness that tastes a bit out of place; grassiness, too. Carbonation is prickly but appropriate to style.

The alcohol really kills this one. Were the abv 2% lower it might be a winner. As is, it's drinkable but I'm not even slightly interested in finishing more than half the bottle; should have waited to split it with someone.

04-29-2011 04:10:17 | More by Ryan011235
Overlord

2.65/5  rDev -30.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a light, bright orange. Big white sudsy head. Thanks Chris for giving me a chance to try this.

Smells like....soap. Like medicinal, herbally, slightly floral/funky soap.

And it tastes like ... you guessed it ... soap. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot? It's like drinking a herb laced bar of soap.

I could go on and on, but I think I've pretty much summed it up. Some of these Victory experiments are serious misses in my book. One of the few breweries where the regular line-up is better than the "special" stuff.

01-06-2010 09:12:38 | More by Overlord
beerman21

2.7/5  rDev -29.5%

Love Siason Ales they've grown to be one of my favorite styles.

Pours a golden unfiltered hue, head was not what I thought it would be. In fact it was next to nothing after a few seconds leaving a thin lace.

Smell, sour Belgian yeast, tropical fruit mix, almost like smelling a funky fruit cup. Pineapple, mango, medicinal type animalistic odors.

Taste was tart, fruity really funky bitter Belgian yeast. Flavor was bit all over the place, not well balanced. Taste buds were really trying to figure this beer out and i couldn't, even after drinking 12oz of it.

Mouthful, i hate to just beat a beer to death but this was a bit watery. Taste lingered but not in a good way. Almost wanted to cleanse my pallet after every other sip.

Love the style, big fan of the brewery; this beer was just not for me. There are other Siason brews out there that are far better.

06-17-2011 07:03:56 | More by beerman21