2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Helios (V Saison) - Victory Brewing Company

Helios  (V Saison)Helios  (V Saison)

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.50% ABV

Repackaging of V Saison

(Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 02-06-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 827 | Reviews: 413 | Show All Ratings:
TheHopHeadGirl

District of Columbia

1.85/5  rDev -51.7%

This beer smells like an outhouse or baby diaper. Even took a survey to those around me and they agreed! It tastes beeter than what it smells like. When not smelling it it tastes more like a sour beer. Not a fan. Had it @ churchky in dc for $2.5 a 4oz. I wouldnt drink it for free.

05-16-2012 03:30:12 | More by TheHopHeadGirl
yesyouam

2.15/5  rDev -43.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Victory Helios is a very sparkling, pretty clear, pale golden ale with lots of particles. It has a huge, fluffy, white head that has outstanding retention. There are lots of bananas in the aroma, with notes of lemon and phenol. It smells fruity and funky. It has a lively, medium body that starts a little heavy on the tongue and becomes very light at the squeaky dry finish. It has a very phenolic flavor overall. There is a little herbal bitterness and something earthy in there, but it's hard to notice-- Everything is overpowered by the taste of Band-Aids. A long Band-Aid finish lingers. Yech. Band-Aid juice.

06-01-2010 00:34:50 | More by yesyouam
Flashy

Vermont

2.15/5  rDev -43.9%

Purchased in a bottle from Wegmans, not refridgerated.
I hope this was a bad bottle as it tasted skunked. Besides good carbonation and mouthfeel this tasted bad, bad, bad (as in spoiled). Found the expiration date on the bottle and it's 2/12 so I must assume that either I hate this kind of Ale, the bottle has been seriously mis-handled or this type of beverage has been fooling people for years and is another case of the emperor not wearing clothes.

06-28-2011 19:08:14 | More by Flashy
azorie

2.17/5  rDev -43.3%

Well if this is in the style of a saison I sure am fooled, more of a lemon pepper pale ale if you ask me.

A: poured into a mug at about 45F, nice off white head forms up, did not last long, color is pale off yellow, some cloudiness. claimed to be bottle conditioned. poured it hard in the glass both times to finish never really saw any yeast and I love yeast I always pour it into the mix, and NOT leave in the bottle, seems only Americans do that.

s: mostly hops and soap, no yeast no brett, no lemon, no pepper,no spices just off. and hops it seems victory is as bad as most west coast brewers if hops are good more must be better not really. One thinks if your going to brew in the style of a Belgian beer go to Belgium learn how to make one.

T: ok I try to keep an open mind and I usually try not to rate beers that don't do it for me, but since Victory is here in Florida I am going to give it my honest review. it tastes like ivory soap with hops in it. Ok its not really soapy, trying to figure out actually what I do taste. First there is a mineral water taste, plaster, sulfates. As it warms it gets worse: its a cooper bitterness, with a cabbage like taste, yuck its really a drain pour for me I will drink the last drop. its not dry or sweet, but its unbalanced hop wise, all I can say is so far every non stout from victory I had tastes at first like a pale ale and not in a good way.

m: thick and not much carbonation. its flat

d: well it came in a bomber, sadly is all I can say, would I drink it again NO FRIGGING way.

glad it was only $3.99 a bomber to try it. Never again.

05-08-2010 19:28:52 | More by azorie
r3dsix

2.2/5  rDev -42.6%

Poured a thick head and had a cloudy gold color with a slight red hue to it. The head mostly dissipatedin about a minute with some retention on the glass.

Smell is a strong citrus like acidic odor which seems to be overwhelmed by a metallic odor.

I was really excited to try this beer. A guy at a liqure store who has a similar taste in beer to me really liked the beer.so I gave it a shot and bought a racer 5 ipa just in case.

The initail drink was good I tasted a slightly sweet citrus fruity flavor and it just started to bitter when I opened my mouth and all of a sudden the flavor turned into a completely ubiquitous metallic flavor. After tasting that the rest of the beer was basically ruined for me. Very similar to the taste of blood like if you bite you cheek hard enough on accident and then you start to taste that metallic taste and you know you're bleeding. I was surprised by this after the recommendation I got from a good source and even more surprised once I read a lot of the reviews here.
I'd like to think this was a good beer, I'd like to think it was just me. Maybe it was old, maybe I'm sensitive to something in this beer like how some people are sensitive to celantro. Still I can't reccomend this beer to anyone personally. I'm never gonna re buy it and the best thing I have to say about it is that other people liked it and it has a good appearence.

Mouthfeel was so so. Not really watery and the flavor washes away fairly quickly. Which would be a weakpoint if I liked the beer.

Now to my racer 5 to the rescue!

08-04-2011 06:27:42 | More by r3dsix
myrtlebeachbums

South Carolina

2.4/5  rDev -37.3%

I grabbed this on a whim at a local store. While I tend to like the Belgian abbey ales, I should probably know better than try the Belgian farmhouse styles. I always try them, and never really care for them.

Smell is was okay, as was mouth feel. Taste, on the other hand, left me less than happy. Honestly, I can' describe it as anything more than a "horse-like" flavor in the finish. It's okay up to that point, but there's something about it I just did not enjoy.

If I was at the brewery I might try it on tap to see if somehow it was mishandled between Philly and Myrtle Beach to cause the experience I had, but I probably won't try it in a bottle again.

05-20-2010 01:11:06 | More by myrtlebeachbums
BeerDawgs

Georgia

2.42/5  rDev -36.8%

A - A cloudy orange hue. Unfiltered. Decent head and lace retention.

S - Lemon and flower aromas. It also has some farmhouse funk aromas.

T - Sour malts and citrus. I am not a big fan of this beer.

M - High carbonation. Crisp.

D - I will not have another. This beer doesn't do anything for me.

01-02-2011 01:42:25 | More by BeerDawgs
PSUDREW

2.53/5  rDev -33.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I can only hope I got a skunked bottle. This was...not impressive at best. Pours a nice light golden color, and has a vaguely plasticy smell. taste is vaugley matly, but rather astringent. Not hops, no farmhouse quality I had high hope, but this is...poor at best

01-25-2010 05:38:10 | More by PSUDREW
AgentZero

2.58/5  rDev -32.6%

A - Slightly cloudy orangish golden color with a two finger head that bubbled up and dissipated rather quickly with no lacing. No stick on the side throughout the drink.

S - Smoething smells off on this. Slightly yeasty funk with a bit of a syrupy sweet smell and a grassy aroma. Also, there's some sort of rotten piss smell that's coming through on this.

T - A bit skunky, some grassy hops, a bit sweet and syrupy. It's not bad, but not great, not tons going on here, but I'm not a huge fan of the saisons either, so that might have something to do with it.

M - Syrupy, but pretty light, nicely carbonated, but doesn't seem to match the weight of the beer.

D - Just doesn't taste as good as it needs to to be drinkable.

05-09-2010 02:20:06 | More by AgentZero
IronCitySteve

2.63/5  rDev -31.3%

A: Pours a slightly hazy bright golden color with a thick slightly off-white foam head. There is nice lacing down the side.

S: A nice amount of yeast, wet hay, pepper, pineapples, lemons and orange peel Kind of an odd but inviting mix.

T: Starts off with a kick of citrus and lemons, which is quite nice, but in the middle, it becomes a lemony, yeast soap mixture. It finishes with some more citrus soap flavors and some more yeast.

M: Seemed really thin and with a tad too much carbonation.

O: After the look and smell of this beer, I was quite excited. It was disappointing. I enjoy Saison's a lot but this one did not cut it for me.

07-16-2011 21:33:17 | More by IronCitySteve
Overlord

2.65/5  rDev -30.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a light, bright orange. Big white sudsy head. Thanks Chris for giving me a chance to try this.

Smells like....soap. Like medicinal, herbally, slightly floral/funky soap.

And it tastes like ... you guessed it ... soap. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot? It's like drinking a herb laced bar of soap.

I could go on and on, but I think I've pretty much summed it up. Some of these Victory experiments are serious misses in my book. One of the few breweries where the regular line-up is better than the "special" stuff.

01-06-2010 09:12:38 | More by Overlord
Ryan011235

2.65/5  rDev -30.8%

Poured into an E&J Cask & Cream glass on 4/28/11

Enjoy by December 21, 2011

Hazy, sun-baked goldenrod color. Cloudy at the center. Two finger head rose quickly and fell just the same leaving a thin later of retention. Minimal lace.

The aroma calls to mind pleasant afternoons in the cool of spring meadows, much unlike the weather in Columbus right now. Lemon zest, lemongrass, prairie grass and crisp, fresh apple. Distinct clove note without being overly spicy. Floral and pollen-like.

Whereas the aroma is devoid of any booziness, alcohol hits the palate hard. It's slick and hot for 7.5% abv, unfortunately overshadowing much of the flavor complexities that could be had. Lemon rind, clove, herbs and spices, grass and light fruit notions seem awash in an uncomfortable alcohol solution. Warmth finds the flavors more at ease but they never fully shine against the booze. The finish is abrupt as it it dry, leaving gritty residual bitterness that tastes a bit out of place; grassiness, too. Carbonation is prickly but appropriate to style.

The alcohol really kills this one. Were the abv 2% lower it might be a winner. As is, it's drinkable but I'm not even slightly interested in finishing more than half the bottle; should have waited to split it with someone.

04-29-2011 04:10:17 | More by Ryan011235
beerman21

2.7/5  rDev -29.5%

Love Siason Ales they've grown to be one of my favorite styles.

Pours a golden unfiltered hue, head was not what I thought it would be. In fact it was next to nothing after a few seconds leaving a thin lace.

Smell, sour Belgian yeast, tropical fruit mix, almost like smelling a funky fruit cup. Pineapple, mango, medicinal type animalistic odors.

Taste was tart, fruity really funky bitter Belgian yeast. Flavor was bit all over the place, not well balanced. Taste buds were really trying to figure this beer out and i couldn't, even after drinking 12oz of it.

Mouthful, i hate to just beat a beer to death but this was a bit watery. Taste lingered but not in a good way. Almost wanted to cleanse my pallet after every other sip.

Love the style, big fan of the brewery; this beer was just not for me. There are other Siason brews out there that are far better.

06-17-2011 07:03:56 | More by beerman21
Crittervision

2.8/5  rDev -26.9%

perhaps im a little too quick to get excited when i hear "wild yeast strain." wasnt sure what i was getting into aside from that.

appearance is filtered yellow-gold. bubbles emanate from the sides of the glass with vigor, not dissimilar to pbr actually. but! tack on a dense pillow of bubbles half an inch tall that shows no signs of disappearing and i guess youve got helios.

smell is saisony (come to find out on here that it is one, yay me), somewhat adjunct (reminiscent of pbr again...), champagney, and sweaty.

taste is dominated by sweaty sock / sticky locker room. eeeeh. think duvel plus unsexy workout plus old lemon. not so hot. no vhs tape.

mouthfeel is heavy, highly carbonated, but pleasant.

drinkability is not so great. sock bad. still manageable.

02-13-2010 03:50:43 | More by Crittervision
tcsparkx

2.8/5  rDev -26.9%

It was light and had enough flavor. I picked it up on a whim. Brewing my own was going to work better with the bomber, and I found that trying out other the brews inspired me to make something better...or equal. I was inspired to try out a light brew next batch. Nice on all counts.

09-28-2012 03:13:49 | More by tcsparkx
tone77

2.93/5  rDev -23.5%

Poured from a brown 22 oz. bottle. Has a cloudy golden color with a 1 inch head. Smell is mild, some hints of citrus. Taste is mostly of alcohol, with some yeast flavor. Feels light in the mouth. Not really a beer I could drink to many of. Overall this is a mediocre brew.

10-01-2009 23:00:42 | More by tone77
Buebie

Well this is one deceptive brew. I bought it because I thought it was a summer pale ale, as the label says its an ale. There is no mention of saison on the bottle and I dont really care all that much for the saison style. But now that I look more closely, the large paragraph description on the back of the bottle states its a farmhouse ale. This could have maybe been put onto the front so we actually know what we are buying.

Anyhow, poured from a bomber into a pub glass. A big cola like white head foams up to 3+ inches of head. Quick to recede and leave a collar with no lace trails.
The color is a pisswater yellow, complelty transparent.
Aroma of lemon zest, cracked peppercorns, sunflowers, corriander, earthy hops and some gritty grain aroma.

The taste is well hidden with an overwhelming amount of carbonation bite. Mouthfeel is less then pleasant for me here. Its thin, stinging carbonation and lighter then air.
Taste after the swallow begins to pucker with bitter lemons, spicie hops and a purfume like alcahol solvent flavor.

Not digging this. Probably because I was hopeing it was a pale ale or somthing besides a saison.

09-02-2009 02:51:06 | More by Buebie
kingcrowing

Vermont

3.03/5  rDev -20.9%

22oz bomber poured into an 8oz sampling glass.

Pours a light hazy yellow with a nice fluffy white head. Nose is very funky, bandaids, citrius and fruit.

Taste is funky. It's sweet and tart, hard to explain, it's right on for a saison but there'. A bit of that hop bitterness as well as wet horse blanket. I'd say skip this beer but I'm not a big fan of the style.

05-17-2010 22:27:29 | More by kingcrowing
thekevlarkid

Maryland

3.03/5  rDev -20.9%

Out of a bomber this beer was a hazy, golden color with lots and lots of rising carbonation. This translated to a very vigorous head of yellow-tinted foam that was a good three fingers thick and refused to yield over time. The aroma was of crystal malt, pale malt, Belgian yeast, some mustiness, semi-sweet citrus peel and floral hops. The flavors were ...weird?! A blend of citrus peel, spicy hops, musty malt, black pepper, earthy yeast and a very herbal, very bitter finish. All these strong elements might have been desirable if they complimented one another but sadly they seemed to compete. It smelled very farmhouse but tasted very outhouse. Ouch! The mouthfeel was foamy, the body medium and the carbonation medium/high. The off notes I detected and amount of frothy head I saw leads me to believe that this beer was mishandled. I'd like to add as a caveat thusly that one's experience with this beer might likely be better than the bomber I tried.

07-20-2010 16:02:31 | More by thekevlarkid
Wasatch

Utah

3.05/5  rDev -20.4%

Thanks goes out to jwc215 for this one.

22oz. Bomber

Pours a hazy pale yellow color, nice carbonation, nice two-finger foamy white head, with lots of sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty, with lots of yeast, pepper, licorice, spices. The taste is slightly sweet, malty, yeasty, bitter, with some pepper, licorice, and spices. Medium body. Drinkable, not really liking this one, too hot, peppery, spicy.

01-29-2010 00:46:55 | More by Wasatch
wowbagger

3.05/5  rDev -20.4%

Very thin very yellow in appearance, fitting the sun logo and name perfectly. Good amount of hops given how pale it looks. The flavor is almost spicy, and hits the tongue pretty quickly. In the mouth it mellows into a general hops flavor, a tiny hint of sweetness and not much else. It goes down pretty easily too.

Overall impression; a solid beer that doesn't taste as strong as it is but nothing terribly novel or impressive.

09-02-2011 16:46:29 | More by wowbagger
brewpig

3.05/5  rDev -20.4%

drank straight from bomber...

smell is citrus lemon w/maybe some faint hops

mouthfeel is nothing special...can sense the high carbonation though.

first taste was yep a kinda funk like diet mountain dew followed by high carbonation almost like a lemony high carbonated soda.

the first mouthful was really a turnoff but as i continued to drink, it became more tolerable and not too bad at all towards the end.

if you like high carbonated lemon lime clubsoda w/a shot of grain alcohol...youll like it.

11-09-2011 19:45:41 | More by brewpig
Alieniloquium

3.1/5  rDev -19.1%

650 mL bottle poured into an Allagash chalice. Bottle stamped "Best by 9/29/2012."

Appearance - Golden yellow body. Mostly clear. Nice two to three finger white fluffy head. Great retention. Rings of sticky lace inside the glass. Looks great.

Smell - Light funk with some bready malts. No sourness, despite what I read from other reviews. Metallic undertones throughout the nose, which really detracts. Perhaps it will dissipate as it warms.

Taste - Slight fruit notes at first, but the don't last long against a huge bready malt flavor. Really dominant. Way too much of one type of grain. Light malt overload. The finish is tempered by an earthy hop bitterness that isn't unpleasant. No metallic flavor in the taste.

Mouthfeel - Not light, but certainly not heavy and syrupy. Bitter finish lingers for perhaps too long. I don't know that I'd call it a good mouthfeel, but it isn't bad either.

Overall - Some flavors are good, some flavors are off. Not a drainpour, but not anything I want to drink again.

03-24-2012 18:55:48 | More by Alieniloquium
ocelot2500

Arizona

3.13/5  rDev -18.3%

Pours a clear golden color with a fizzy white head that leaves little bits of lacing.

Smells of funk, but like a locker room, very earthy and not what I would call pleasant.

Tastes of the funk which then blends into spice and malts. Funk leads off with an earthiness that is more pleasant than the nose. Spices then come through with pepper. This then leads to fruity notes with lemon and a bit of apple that end in a grainy sweetness. Finishes fairly dry.

Mouthfeel is medium with a smooth amount of carbonation.

Overall, this is a decent attempt at a saison, but I find the nose to be quite offensive.

01-01-2012 00:58:45 | More by ocelot2500
Rifugium

3.13/5  rDev -18.3%

First had: ?
Reviewed from a recent tasting on tap at Victory, Downintown, PA

I just wasn't feeling this one. Pale straw-yellow pour, mostly clear, with a fluffy white head that retained well and left lots of lacing on the glass. Mixture of sweet and funky on the nose with a promise of earthiness. Taste was interesting, lightly toasted grains, yeast, musty grass. A little thin overall, and just doesn't deliver what I like in the style. Light body, and fairly drinkable if you like saisons, but not something I'd go for again.

08-19-2012 10:29:11 | More by Rifugium