Helios (V Saison) - Victory Brewing Company

Helios  (V Saison)Helios  (V Saison)

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 02-06-2009

Repackaging of V Saison
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 973 | Reviews: 428
2.25/5  rDev -41.3%

2.25/5  rDev -41.3%

2.42/5  rDev -36.8%

A - A cloudy orange hue. Unfiltered. Decent head and lace retention.

S - Lemon and flower aromas. It also has some farmhouse funk aromas.

T - Sour malts and citrus. I am not a big fan of this beer.

M - High carbonation. Crisp.

D - I will not have another. This beer doesn't do anything for me.

2.46/5  rDev -35.8%

I grabbed this on a whim at a local store. While I tend to like the Belgian abbey ales, I should probably know better than try the Belgian farmhouse styles. I always try them, and never really care for them.

Smell is was okay, as was mouth feel. Taste, on the other hand, left me less than happy. Honestly, I can' describe it as anything more than a "horse-like" flavor in the finish. It's okay up to that point, but there's something about it I just did not enjoy.

If I was at the brewery I might try it on tap to see if somehow it was mishandled between Philly and Myrtle Beach to cause the experience I had, but I probably won't try it in a bottle again.

2.52/5  rDev -34.2%

2.53/5  rDev -33.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I can only hope I got a skunked bottle. This was...not impressive at best. Pours a nice light golden color, and has a vaguely plasticy smell. taste is vaugley matly, but rather astringent. Not hops, no farmhouse quality I had high hope, but this is...poor at best

2.56/5  rDev -33.2%

A - Slightly cloudy orangish golden color with a two finger head that bubbled up and dissipated rather quickly with no lacing. No stick on the side throughout the drink.

S - Smoething smells off on this. Slightly yeasty funk with a bit of a syrupy sweet smell and a grassy aroma. Also, there's some sort of rotten piss smell that's coming through on this.

T - A bit skunky, some grassy hops, a bit sweet and syrupy. It's not bad, but not great, not tons going on here, but I'm not a huge fan of the saisons either, so that might have something to do with it.

M - Syrupy, but pretty light, nicely carbonated, but doesn't seem to match the weight of the beer.

D - Just doesn't taste as good as it needs to to be drinkable.

2.66/5  rDev -30.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a light, bright orange. Big white sudsy head. Thanks Chris for giving me a chance to try this.

Smells like....soap. Like medicinal, herbally, slightly floral/funky soap.

And it tastes like ... you guessed it ... soap. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot? It's like drinking a herb laced bar of soap.

I could go on and on, but I think I've pretty much summed it up. Some of these Victory experiments are serious misses in my book. One of the few breweries where the regular line-up is better than the "special" stuff.

2.72/5  rDev -29%

Love Siason Ales they've grown to be one of my favorite styles.

Pours a golden unfiltered hue, head was not what I thought it would be. In fact it was next to nothing after a few seconds leaving a thin lace.

Smell, sour Belgian yeast, tropical fruit mix, almost like smelling a funky fruit cup. Pineapple, mango, medicinal type animalistic odors.

Taste was tart, fruity really funky bitter Belgian yeast. Flavor was bit all over the place, not well balanced. Taste buds were really trying to figure this beer out and i couldn't, even after drinking 12oz of it.

Mouthful, i hate to just beat a beer to death but this was a bit watery. Taste lingered but not in a good way. Almost wanted to cleanse my pallet after every other sip.

Love the style, big fan of the brewery; this beer was just not for me. There are other Siason brews out there that are far better.

2.75/5  rDev -28.2%

A: Pours a slightly hazy bright golden color with a thick slightly off-white foam head. There is nice lacing down the side.

S: A nice amount of yeast, wet hay, pepper, pineapples, lemons and orange peel Kind of an odd but inviting mix.

T: Starts off with a kick of citrus and lemons, which is quite nice, but in the middle, it becomes a lemony, yeast soap mixture. It finishes with some more citrus soap flavors and some more yeast.

M: Seemed really thin and with a tad too much carbonation.

O: After the look and smell of this beer, I was quite excited. It was disappointing. I enjoy Saison's a lot but this one did not cut it for me.

2.76/5  rDev -27.9%

Poured into an E&J Cask & Cream glass on 4/28/11

Enjoy by December 21, 2011

Hazy, sun-baked goldenrod color. Cloudy at the center. Two finger head rose quickly and fell just the same leaving a thin later of retention. Minimal lace.

The aroma calls to mind pleasant afternoons in the cool of spring meadows, much unlike the weather in Columbus right now. Lemon zest, lemongrass, prairie grass and crisp, fresh apple. Distinct clove note without being overly spicy. Floral and pollen-like.

Whereas the aroma is devoid of any booziness, alcohol hits the palate hard. It's slick and hot for 7.5% abv, unfortunately overshadowing much of the flavor complexities that could be had. Lemon rind, clove, herbs and spices, grass and light fruit notions seem awash in an uncomfortable alcohol solution. Warmth finds the flavors more at ease but they never fully shine against the booze. The finish is abrupt as it it dry, leaving gritty residual bitterness that tastes a bit out of place; grassiness, too. Carbonation is prickly but appropriate to style.

The alcohol really kills this one. Were the abv 2% lower it might be a winner. As is, it's drinkable but I'm not even slightly interested in finishing more than half the bottle; should have waited to split it with someone.

2.8/5  rDev -26.9%

It was light and had enough flavor. I picked it up on a whim. Brewing my own was going to work better with the bomber, and I found that trying out other the brews inspired me to make something better...or equal. I was inspired to try out a light brew next batch. Nice on all counts.

2.9/5  rDev -24.3%

perhaps im a little too quick to get excited when i hear "wild yeast strain." wasnt sure what i was getting into aside from that.

appearance is filtered yellow-gold. bubbles emanate from the sides of the glass with vigor, not dissimilar to pbr actually. but! tack on a dense pillow of bubbles half an inch tall that shows no signs of disappearing and i guess youve got helios.

smell is saisony (come to find out on here that it is one, yay me), somewhat adjunct (reminiscent of pbr again...), champagney, and sweaty.

taste is dominated by sweaty sock / sticky locker room. eeeeh. think duvel plus unsexy workout plus old lemon. not so hot. no vhs tape.

mouthfeel is heavy, highly carbonated, but pleasant.

drinkability is not so great. sock bad. still manageable.

2.93/5  rDev -23.5%

Poured from a brown 22 oz. bottle. Has a cloudy golden color with a 1 inch head. Smell is mild, some hints of citrus. Taste is mostly of alcohol, with some yeast flavor. Feels light in the mouth. Not really a beer I could drink to many of. Overall this is a mediocre brew.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Helios (V Saison) from Victory Brewing Company