Helios (V Saison) - Victory Brewing Company

Helios  (V Saison)Helios  (V Saison)

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.50% ABV

Repackaging of V Saison

(Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 02-06-2009)

I picked up a bottle of Victory's Helios a couple weeks ago for $6.49 at The Lager Mill. Victory has been hit or miss for me and I haven't had a beer from them that I have really liked, but I'm starting to get into beers with a little bit of brett in them so I decided to take a chance and give this beer a try, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but i'm pretty sure it's a 2012 vintage. Poured from a 22oz brown bottle into a tulip.

A- The label looks nice, it has a simple yet well done label that's a little eye catching. It poured a nice and hazy straw golden yellow color with two and a half fingers worth of white head that died down a thin ring that stayed till the end and left some patchy lacing. This is a good looking beer, I have no complaints since the color and head are very true to style.

S- The aroma starts off with a nice earthy and grassy aroma that quickly gives way to a high amount of sweetness followed by a medium barnyard and funky brett aroma to it. After that comes the fruits which are pretty nice, there some citrus fruits like lemon and a little bit of grapefruit, but there's also some banana and pear aromas that seem to stick out the most and give this beer a pretty unique aroma. This beer had a good aroma that was a little funky and pretty unique.

T- The taste seems be to somewhat similar to the aroma, it starts off with a wheaty and malty flavor followed by that signature peppery Saison flavor. After that comes some straw followed by a light lemon flavor and some more of that banana and pear that seem to be pretty light also. Up next comes a lightly acidic flavor followed by a little bit of earthy funk and a slight barnyard flavor. On the finish there's some lighter bitterness followed by a slight lemon, grainy and slightly funky aftertaste. This beer tasted pretty good it had some nice complexity to it and it was pretty true to style.

M- Pretty smooth, sharp, very crisp, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with a higher amount of prickly carbonation. The mouthfeel was good, it was pretty carbonated, as the style should be, but it was just a little too prickly for me, but still good overall.

Overall I thought this was a good beer and a good example of the style, it had all the qualitys that I look for in this style with some nice complexity while being very crisp and refreshing. This beer had good drinkability. it went down pretty smooth, was refreshing, and the flavors held my attention, I could see this being a great choice on a hot summer afternoon, I think a bomber would be the perfect amount for me. What I liked the most about this beer was how true to style it was, the brett gave it the earthy and slightly funky aspect that really tied everything together and doesn't overpower the beer as can happen easily. What I liked the least about this beer was that comes in bomber, this is the perfect candidate for 12oz bottles, a six pack would be great to have during those hot summer days. I would buy this beer again, but I'll probably wait till the summer to revisit it, it wasn't too expensive and it was a good example of the style, I recommend giving it a try and it might make for a good and easy introduction to brett beers. All in all this beer delivered just what I wanted from this style and I thought it was a very solid Saison. So far this is the best beer I have had from Victory and it's up there as one of the better Saisons I have tried, good job guys. I'll have to try a couple more of your beers.

StoutHunter, Nov 30, 2012

nquigley16, Oct 28, 2012

Rekrule, Oct 21, 2012

RblWthACoz, Oct 16, 2012
3.43/5  rDev -10.4%

A - Nice light orange color. Superb head.

S - Maybe not the most appealing for me. Citrusy but not not as balanced as I'd like. Perhaps I should have drunk this when it was fresher.

T - A quite refreshing beer at first. Lemony with a fair amount of hop character. After a while the hops become a bit much for me. Yeasty.

M - A bit lighter than I'd hoped.

O - A well-done beer for its style, but the hopiness and lemony taste made it less appealing for me. There are other saisons I'd prefer.

Beer-A-Lot, Oct 15, 2012

aminobutyricacid, Oct 15, 2012

stunna, Oct 11, 2012

troegaarden, Oct 07, 2012

TheNightwatchman, Oct 07, 2012

Phacoman, Oct 01, 2012

Twal, Sep 30, 2012
4.13/5  rDev +7.8%

This is a nice, potent 22oz bomber of Belgian yeasty yumminess.
A: Pretty light with some off-white head
S: Strong hoppy blast with some floral notes and strong German malts
T: The malts and hops together with this spicy yeast are killer
M: Definitely a pleasant strong brew, with intriguing yeasts that dance all over my mouth
O: Enjoyable, and strong enough that one bottle gets me there... Relatively affordable too!

PatriotsRule, Sep 28, 2012
2.8/5  rDev -26.9%

It was light and had enough flavor. I picked it up on a whim. Brewing my own was going to work better with the bomber, and I found that trying out other the brews inspired me to make something better...or equal. I was inspired to try out a light brew next batch. Nice on all counts.

tcsparkx, Sep 28, 2012