Helios (V Saison) - Victory Brewing Company

Victory Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.50% ABV

Repackaging of V Saison

(Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 02-06-2009)
2.2/5  rDev -42.6%

Poured a thick head and had a cloudy gold color with a slight red hue to it. The head mostly dissipatedin about a minute with some retention on the glass.

Smell is a strong citrus like acidic odor which seems to be overwhelmed by a metallic odor.

I was really excited to try this beer. A guy at a liqure store who has a similar taste in beer to me really liked the beer.so I gave it a shot and bought a racer 5 ipa just in case.

The initail drink was good I tasted a slightly sweet citrus fruity flavor and it just started to bitter when I opened my mouth and all of a sudden the flavor turned into a completely ubiquitous metallic flavor. After tasting that the rest of the beer was basically ruined for me. Very similar to the taste of blood like if you bite you cheek hard enough on accident and then you start to taste that metallic taste and you know you're bleeding. I was surprised by this after the recommendation I got from a good source and even more surprised once I read a lot of the reviews here.
I'd like to think this was a good beer, I'd like to think it was just me. Maybe it was old, maybe I'm sensitive to something in this beer like how some people are sensitive to celantro. Still I can't reccomend this beer to anyone personally. I'm never gonna re buy it and the best thing I have to say about it is that other people liked it and it has a good appearence.

Mouthfeel was so so. Not really watery and the flavor washes away fairly quickly. Which would be a weakpoint if I liked the beer.

Now to my racer 5 to the rescue!

3.38/5  rDev -11.7%

22oz bottle

A-Pours a golden yellow color with an off-white head with good lacing and retention.

S- The aroma is light and seemingly full of life. Malt, citrus (lemon peel), peppery spices and Belgian yeast. Very nice, can't wait to try it.

T- The taste is light with pale malts up front with some citrusy flavors coming in and some hops and warmth from the alcohol.

M- The mouthfeel is light bodied with a high amount of carbonation.

O- Overall, Helios was an enjoyable beer that is worth a try.

4.25/5  rDev +11%

Victory Helios

Poured from a cold (40F?) undated bottle into a Sam Smith stout pint.

Appearance- small, coarse head forms over a bright honey-colored beer.
Nose- Aroma is peppery phenolics with a faint, complex backing of other yeast products and perhaps a bit of malt and aroma hop.
Taste- This a spiced lemon cake. Pepper, nutmeg and a citric twang confront the tongue together. Earthy hop bitterness kicks in to clean up a slight bready malt presence.
Mouthfeel- This is a bit less dry than your typical European saison, but the slightly thicker mouthfeel supports a hop rate that is very pleasant to my American palate.
Overall- A deeply satisfying summer beer. This is a very refreshing, digestible ale that won’t bore you in the slightest.
Addendum- After reading Beeradvocate entry for this beer, I realized it is 7.5%abv. It is as refreshing as a beer that weighs in at 4.5%, i.e. Narragansett Summer. Crack this beer and thank whatever powers you trust. Warning: Your partner may also like this beer.

Had this beer at the victory brewpub in doylestown. Served cool on draft in a tall pint glass.

A. Clear caramel body and a pretty sponge white head.

S. Spice... cloves and nutmeg ...some light hop...fruitstone

T. Tastes like it smells.

D. Nice and drinkable beer...good with food. I would drink again.

4.2/5  rDev +9.7%

A: Pours a faintly golden colour with a somewhat creamy head which recedes rather quickly. Lacing not evident in my glass. Leaning towards more of a clearness than the stated haziness on the bottle.

S: Apples and pears, pepper, cloves, slight nuttyness, honey, and some orange and lemon. Good overall aromas.

T: Bold apricot taste upfront with pepper, cloves, honey, slight nuttyness, and picking up a bit of honeydew or melon. An interesting and pleasant lemon sourness is present, but not overpowering. Good overall taste with a more fruit-forward emphasis which I'm liking.

M: Slightly oily mouthfeel with moderate amounts of carbonation. An overall agreeable and pleasing mouthfeel.

D: Could drink this again, and again. Very nice offering from Victory that I will be keeping my eye out for again.

4.22/5  rDev +10.2%

I picked this up cause the label caught my eye, and then the price tag ($3.49 for a bomber). Bottle says enjoy by 25 Feb 2012. All good there.

Pours apple juice golden, and clear, with a foamy white frothy head. Definitely not hazy, as described on the bottle. Very inviting. The head sticks around, leaving solid lacing as it gradually subsides.

Smell is a lovely blend of Belgian yeast, light vegetal hops, and a lemon zest sour. There's a hint of funk in the background, too. The lemon asserts itself more as the beer warms up, and brings a great depth to the smell. There's a lot going on here, and it's all good.

Taste is also very good. It's like a layer cake, with each taste bringing a slightly different combination of flavors. I get some peppery spice, some earthy hops, a touch of sour. Quite good. Finish is unremarkable - slightly bitter, and a slow fade up into the light of the sun.

Mouthfeel: medium-bodied, heavier than I'd expect from the appearance. Carbonation is medium-low, but it works. Finish is long but nicely drying.

Dang, this is a really good beer, and much more than I was expecting. It's got a great combination of flavors, and the smell is just outstanding. At this price, I can't think of a better value in any style.

3.8/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours a hazy golden yellow. Very lively carbonation in fact I turned my back for a second just after I cracked the bottle and I had foam coming up the bottle and running down the sides. Assertive Brett aromas up front with a bit of tart lemon and a little spicy note, almost like grains of paradise. I find the Brett pretty dominant on the palate on this one, not bad for me since I like Brett, but its a bit more domineering than I want in a summer Saison. Carbonation is very high in fact tied with the fact that it foamed over on me when I opened, it leads me to believe the Brettanomyces got a little out of control on this one. Still, I am able to enjoy this beer as it offers a fair amount of complexity.

2.63/5  rDev -31.3%

A: Pours a slightly hazy bright golden color with a thick slightly off-white foam head. There is nice lacing down the side.

S: A nice amount of yeast, wet hay, pepper, pineapples, lemons and orange peel Kind of an odd but inviting mix.

T: Starts off with a kick of citrus and lemons, which is quite nice, but in the middle, it becomes a lemony, yeast soap mixture. It finishes with some more citrus soap flavors and some more yeast.

M: Seemed really thin and with a tad too much carbonation.

O: After the look and smell of this beer, I was quite excited. It was disappointing. I enjoy Saison's a lot but this one did not cut it for me.

Poured a transparent light golden copper color with an average amount of beige head on it.

Smell is malty with some spice to it. A bit of hops coming through as well.

Taste is citrusy and spicy. Can taste the Belgian yeast as well. Good flavored beer.

Mouthfeel is medium. It's a pretty refreshing beer. Good for the summer.

Overall this is a pretty good beer. I enjoyed. I haven't had many saisons at all but this one was a good one to start with.

4.2/5  rDev +9.7%

A bomber of Helios from the brewers at Victory, apparently inspired by the sun. The beer pours a clear yellowish-golden color, similar to the sun perhaps. A big cap of white foam dissipated quickly. The nose contains some apple and yeast with cracker malt underneath. Nimble on the palate, the flavor begins with a touch of Belgian fruitiness but is taken over by lemon tinged sourness. The apple the yeast and the lemon combine to create a thirst quenching experience before the end drops out. A good summer ale and respectable attempt at the Belgian inspired ale.

3.93/5  rDev +2.6%

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a clear golden amber color with a finger of thick foamy white head. A layer of head remains throughout the pour and there is some lacing on the glass.

Smell: Spice from the yeast dominates with some hints of sweetness from the grain, citrus, and a slight sour note.

Taste: Initially the Belgian spice dominates. Then comes some citrus and herbal hops along with a slight hint of sourness. There is a blend of the yeast spice and hop bitterness in the finish. Fairly complex.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with smooth carbonation and small bubbles. The finish is quite dry.

Overall: I was pleasantly surprised by this beer. I thought the hops along with the yeast spice went quite nicely. A good offering and something I would have again.

3.73/5  rDev -2.6%

Appearance: Bright snappy yellow. Light. It's sort of artificial looking as if there were food coloring in this beer. Light transparency. Light carbonation.

Smell: I smell citrus, spice, cloves. Slight tropical fruit. This beer definitely has some funk to it. This is my second Saison style, the other being Dupont which was much more delicate in construction. However I am delighted by this blend of esters and punchy grain malts.

Taste: This beer is a blend of citric and noble style hops along with a wild grain backing. It is different then you're typical ale. If the drinker isn't use to the farmhouse style they may not be able to get used to the funk which bounces around in my mouth like a rubber band. I like it though and the funk is also matched well with some lemony hops and cutting bitterness. The ale finishes bitter and the taste clings for a minute.

Mouthfeel: This ale is fizzy. It is balanced properly and the alcohol is covered up well.

Overall: This is good for the style. It helps wash down spaghetti very well. It's well constructed and very affordable.

3.75/5  rDev -2.1%

A: Pours an amber golden color that is practically crystal clear. The head pours a half finger head that dissipates quickly to a fine lacing common to saisons.

S: There is a distinct yeasty smell to this beer with what may be a little bit of straw and some light flowery hops. Some light fruitiness is present as well.

T: Taste is on the lighter side, there was an earthy yeastiness that lasts. Not a whole lot else as this brett dominates.

M: Medium high amount of carbonation for this type of beer. After the carbonation dies down a bit, it' is certainly enjoyable.

O: Definitely a good summer beer, light on the tongue yet tasty.

3.83/5  rDev 0%

Serving: Bomber into a very tall glass.

A: Pours a clear, pale yellow, with an inch of fairly thick head. Lots of carbonation is visible.

S: Smell is great. I get hints of belgian yeast, rose petals and other flowers. Somewhat fruity as well.

T: Huge Brett up front, a slightly malty backbone and a bitter finish. The Brett character, however, dominates this one. Not my favorite but not bad.

M: Finishes clean and crisp. Very nice.

O: I'm good with beers where the Brett character is a little more muted, but there's a lot of it in this one. I guess that's not bad if that's what you like. Not a bad beer overall but this particular one isn't for me. I still give it 4/5 since it's very well done.

4.05/5  rDev +5.7%

A - Bottle opens with a loud pop and begins to gush--yes, this is one of the recalled bottles from last year, kept well chilled for safety's sake.

S - Heavy funk, wonderful barnyard and earthiness with a bit of mushroom quality. Bright sweet pils not far behind.

T - Brett is huge again. Deep earthiness opens onto a bit of malt sweetness, and then finishes with a wonderful leathery funk lingers on the palate with some lighter green apple, as well.

M - Bone dry.

O - This is such a great beer. One of the best brett-ed saisons out there and, for $3.50/bottle, one of the absolute best craft values, bar none.

3.6/5  rDev -6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Pours a clear golden color with an inch of head that quickly turns to a slight ring of lace.

S - Slight funk with some wet hay and mild yeast. Smells of mostly ripe fruits mostly apple and pear.

T - Taste is pretty carbonated and crisp with flavors of apple and pear. Yeast is kind of strong and alcohol is very noticeable. I also get a harsh bit of grain or hops in the finish that makes it kind of chalky which may even be the yeast. Not really my thing.

M - Medium to heavy. Kind of hard to drink.

Overall I guess this one is OK but it really is either too much yeast or spice since it's kind of off putting.

4.33/5  rDev +13.1%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a Sam Adams perfect pint.

Popped the cap on this one and went to rinse out my glass, and the bottle was noticeably foaming over when I went for the pour. It pours a very hazy straw color with a huge head that quickly settles down to something more manageable. Aroma is good, a bit of ripe fruit, funkiness, and yeastiness. The taste is very good as far as my tastes on saisons go, the fruitiness, funkiness, and just a hint of hops keep the yeast in check. It's just a deliicous sour. The mouthfeel is crisp and highly carbonated, and the drinkability is very good for the ABV. Overall, this is a great saison! Saisons are really hit or miss with me, but this one's a hit for sure.

3.43/5  rDev -10.4%

2010, I think.

A: Golden Cloudy. White sheet. No lace.

S: Brett? Nice sour farm nose.

T: vinyl, Brett flavor. Grain and bitter rice.

M: thick for the style. Hi carb, good for the style. Thin style slick on finish.

O: good. But not that great. A saison, yummy. But not something I would trade for.

Pours golden with a thick, frothy, white head that 1/2 fills the glass to start, fades to a more reasonable level, and sticks around as a nice cap. Aromas of very ripe fruit. I get grapes and plums, with a touch of barnyard floating around as well. The taste is quite fruity as well, but with some definite funk- which is a pleasant surprise. Notes of ripe, soft cheese and a touch of barnyard complement the peach and cherry notes. A little bit tart in the mouth, and on the softer side. A bit different than I was expecting, more of a farmhouse ale take on the style. Quite nice.

2.15/5  rDev -43.9%

Purchased in a bottle from Wegmans, not refridgerated.
I hope this was a bad bottle as it tasted skunked. Besides good carbonation and mouthfeel this tasted bad, bad, bad (as in spoiled). Found the expiration date on the bottle and it's 2/12 so I must assume that either I hate this kind of Ale, the bottle has been seriously mis-handled or this type of beverage has been fooling people for years and is another case of the emperor not wearing clothes.

3.98/5  rDev +3.9%

The beer pours a beautiful golden color with a thick frothy white head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is good. It has a nice pale malt scent that's light along with a mild hop bitterness and a damn fine yeast aroma. It has a nice citrus feel as well as a good deal of funk. The taste is good. It has a smooth pale malt flavor; easy drinking, a solid base. The hops provide adequate bitterness and the yeast rounds out the palate with lots of earthy farmhouse funk. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is an above average saison. It's flavorful and true to style, although the appearance seems off. It looks like it filtered, which takes away from the authenticity.

4.1/5  rDev +7%

Pours a golden body with a white head with good retention. Aromas are bursting with bakery fresh bread and yeastiness, with a strong savory notes. Flavors of sourdough bread with honey on top. A pleasant sourness lingers long. A layered, delicious brew brew.

3.93/5  rDev +2.6%

Pretty close to being a very good Saison!!! A bit short on the head and lacing and an off-putting alcohol presence until the beer warms up. Other than that...really good.

Pours a hazy golden color with a bubbly white head that doesn't last very long. Minimal lacing. Smells good. Strong lemon zest and funky yeast presence. Tastes good for the most part. Lemon zest, peppery spiciness and funk are all pronounced. The big failing in man American Saisons is too little funk and too much lemon. The only problem with the taste and mouthfeel is a strong and slightly burning alcohol presence while the beer is cold. Once it warms up, the alcohol is not apparent.

Overall this is a good Saison. Recommend letting it warm up a bit to avoid the alcohol taste.

2.7/5  rDev -29.5%

Love Siason Ales they've grown to be one of my favorite styles.

Pours a golden unfiltered hue, head was not what I thought it would be. In fact it was next to nothing after a few seconds leaving a thin lace.

Smell, sour Belgian yeast, tropical fruit mix, almost like smelling a funky fruit cup. Pineapple, mango, medicinal type animalistic odors.

Taste was tart, fruity really funky bitter Belgian yeast. Flavor was bit all over the place, not well balanced. Taste buds were really trying to figure this beer out and i couldn't, even after drinking 12oz of it.

Mouthful, i hate to just beat a beer to death but this was a bit watery. Taste lingered but not in a good way. Almost wanted to cleanse my pallet after every other sip.

Love the style, big fan of the brewery; this beer was just not for me. There are other Siason brews out there that are far better.

4.2/5  rDev +9.7%

Poured from a bomber into a glass. It produced a 2 finger white head. The color was a hazy honey.
The smell was of a typical farm house ale, but with more citrus, and spices.
The taste was the same as smell, but with a light hop bitterness on the end. It has medium carbonation, and a medium mouth-feel.
Very tasty, and refreshing.

Helios (V Saison) from Victory Brewing Company